PDA

View Full Version : Formula up and running, we'll sort of...

JustinThyme
01-24-2017, 03:13 AM
Most read my woes with trying to get a 7700K to run in and M8E. BIOS 2202 and 3007 was supposed to support it and it's just not so. Proved it on two MOBOs. Maybe just my configuration but it shouldn't matter. Same everything with 64GB Trident 3400MHz, and two 1080 A8G Strix cards in SLI. First one I was stupid enough to take engineerings word for it and couldn't even get BIOS 3007 to run with a 6700K on two different boards. Put a 7700K in it and first board ended up fubar, second one I stopped at the code 60 and was able to recover. Just time to face it. The M8E may run the 7700K with less ram, no raid and different graphics but not working with mine. Last one was doing OK with no GPUs in. Got the OS loaded up running intel graphics and even tried a quick OC and hit 5Ghz like it was nothing. So it wasn't the chip. Plug in the GPUs get to desktop once, crash and code 60 after. Done with that!

So today a new M9F shows up at my door. Got straight to work on it. I'm not all that thrilled with this voodoo second M2 slot that sticks up and gets all up in the way. Not at all a good Idea. I'm going to look around and see if I can source an extension that can be plugged into the slot and mount it remotely. The Formula and code are the only two like this. All the rest have the second M2 above the top PCIE slot.

While we are on the subject of PCIE slots what in the name of all that once was good happened with the spacing on the slots? My Nice SLI bridge won't work, my Bitpower SLI block won't work. It's like 2.25 slots spacing. Nothing will fit. Good thing they at least included the UGLY SLI bridge in the box or I would have just boxed it up and sent the whole thing back. Hopefully the new enthusiast bridges will work on this or in the least I'll go for a 3D printed cover and slap an RGB LED in it. Had to go old school on the water blocks as nothing fits. Have a 2 slot and a 3 slot sli blocks but that does me nothing with 2.25 slot spacing.*

The wifey will be happy to see me clear off the table in the breakfast nook that has become my test bench. I'm on the fence about just grabbing a Thermal take core P5 open chassis to put it in and wall mount this puppy! At leas that way I can make my spacing 2 or 3 and hardware will work with it. What were they thinking? If it were my call I would have just scrapped the PCIE X1 that's between the GPUS and just closed it in and made it two slots. This board is not at all conducive to having two air cooled graphics cards that little 1/4 slot extra still would let you get a finger in there.*

Mess all over the table. Wasn't about to case it up and do the hard tubed loop until I made sure it works!

62073*

Nice off the wall non standard spacing. Looks like one slot gal but it just isn't *so. This is my old SLI water block that will cover 2 or 3 cards or no cards on a M9F

62074**

How about the ugly finish on this ugly SLI bridge?

62075*

Here another duh huh why didn't we think this through moment. These water cooling headers for temp and flow are strategically placed so if you want to run 2 graphics cards they get covered up!*
Might be able to connect before installing second card but I probably won't use it anyhow as I have an aquaero 6 pro anyhow.*

62076*

Apologies in advance if the images turn 90 degrees, this is a forum thing and only here. If I download them the change them to PNG the problem never happens. *

Nate152
01-24-2017, 04:12 AM
Hey JustinThyme

Thank you for the insight on the Maximus IX Formula.

So I see your biggest gripe is with the spacing of the pcie x16 slots and the 2nd M.2 slot, it looks like you did away with the bitspower sli bridge and used fittings instead.

You got your 7700k at 5.0GHz and if I know you like I think I do you won't stop there. :)

I know it's still early but how is it performing?

JustinThyme
01-24-2017, 04:52 AM
I'm still loading up. And it's still on the wifeys table LOL. I'll get most of the software installed before I put it in the case. *
Yeah my biggest gripe of all is the spacing. I didn't do away with the SLI block by choice, it was that or use one card (NOT) or even worse put the heat pipes and air cooling back on with no space for the top card to get air.

Yes that second M2 is going over like a rudder on a ducks butt! I'm not going to bother with M2 raid as there is no *real gain to be had. I initially installed the doofus mod second M2 bracket and the drive and raided them up but nothing has changed on that avenue. Still have the same DMI bottle neck with only a marginal gain in raid 0. So I'll stick with one M2 (have 2x1TB 960 pros) and use the other in another build.

Seeing how what was on the disk is pretty much the same as what's on the website for software and drivers I made the mistake of letting the disk do its think. Immediately went into BSODs that I tracked back to *a 64 bit .sys file present in several ASUS apps. Kept giving me page in a non page area. Wiped all that crap which was no easy task when you can't get to desktop and uninstall won't work in safe mode that isn't easy to get to in win 10 either.*

Going to keep going with out of the case for a bit and install back in the case tomorrow and redo the hard tubing where changes are necessary. I'll post up more as I go along with it. Board looks nice, is not as wide as the M8E and lacking a few features like dual BIOS but lll get by. Wish the Extreme was available, would rather have had that. Best thing is it will run the 7700K. It's a shame that the M8E just wasn't going to do it. I really like that board! It will get use with the 6700K that I got 5 GHz out of.*

Michael-i7
01-24-2017, 06:03 AM
Send it back man. For real. They are the only company I have seen so far with both of these problems. It wasn't like that last Gen (Most boards weren't even lucky enough to have two M.2 slots like Gigabyte did) nothing is going to change if everyone just deals the bs. I don't know what changed but Asus used to be the go to Brand. You could count on the fact that if you spent that extra money for Asus products instead of save money and went elsewhere that your money was better spent. But I don't believe that is the case anymore. I am really glad I read your post because my 7700k comes in tomorrow and I flashed to 3007 last night so we will see what happens but if I have the same problems you have I too was going to get the m9f but now I will not. So thank you for that. I hope it does work out for you but the Gaming 9 looks like the board of the year right now.

It is very cool tho that they went that extra mile and included the ugliest Sli bridge I've ever seen in my life with their 400$ motherboard tho.

JustinThyme
01-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Dont know whats up with the hate and disdain.
The board is working great, just a few caveats. The only other board I would even entertain would be Asrok. IMO GB and MSI are junk boards. Tried them in the past with less than stellar results.

The SLI bridge works, they are introducing a new one which may have something to do with it or you can download 3D printing templates and make your own cover. At any rate its better than the flimsy cables of the past. The only point that really displeased me is not being able to use the SLI water block and not being able to buy a replacement as they are non existent. But again, new platform, new challenges and Im sure eventually there will be a block to remedy this or I can just continue to use the old school set up.

You may have better luck that I did as you have a completely different board that is more budget minded. I just know on mine, an M8E assy with bios 2202 or 3007 it will not run a 7700K. It wont even runn BIOS 3007 with a 6600K. May have worked with different components but Im not about to blow another $2-3K trying out something else or going single GPU etc.

So Im still sitting on the cardboard box and decided this morning to jack it up a little and run realbench.
5.1Ghz @ 1.360 Vcore was not problem. Actually a little over 5.1. Loaded XMP upped LLC to 6 CPU and RAM to 120% and extreme phase. So 102.10 BCLK with 50X multiplier. ran AIDA 64 stress for about 30 minutes. Let it cool down for a few then ran realbench but evidently real bench is not yet optomized for the 7700K or MOBO or both as it errored gathering the info and would let me upload the results so a screen shot will have to do. Looks like a have a decent chip. This is still with Corsair AIO and temps peaked at 65C but stayed around 55-60C for the most part. Oh one more cpoint of interest. After I decided which chip I was going to keep the lid came off and it got the liquid metal treatment.

http://valid.x86.fr/1vrmwi

Nate152
01-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Looks great Justin !

Do you use a delidding tool or razor blade ? Menthol uses the Rockit delid tool and looks safe and easy to use, I never delidded a cpu but I'm contemplating on getting the Rockit tool.

http://rockitcool.myshopify.com/

Michael-i7
01-25-2017, 05:58 PM
The Rockit tool is amazing man. I used it on mine my little Brothers and two of my friend's processors and they are great. I will be doing the same with my 7700k. When I get home from work today I will be putting it in my board and see what is up with my 3007 bios and hope it works out.

Ya I have been looking at Asrock too and I very well may give them a try if my bios has problems with the 7700k. I hope it doesnt because my Deluxe is my favorite board I've ever had. It's not hatred bro, like I just said I love my z170 Deluxe, it's been the most rock solid board I've ever owned. I just don't like what I see this Generation, I don't feel the level of quality is up to par. My buddy has the Code on the way and I do all his PC work so I will get to see first hand and build with it and use it and get a better idea. Like any company out there, they all have crap boards and high end boards not just Gigabyte, Asus has low end boards too. This Gen I like what I see better with them and Asrock that is all I am saying. It is early tho and I am sure Asus has more to come. But hopefully I don't have anything to worry about. I want my 7700k to run solid in my z170 Deluxe then im done with this/these platforms. Starting the middle of next month all my extra money is being set aside for x299.

Silent Scone@ASUS
01-25-2017, 08:36 PM
The Rockit tool is amazing man. I used it on mine my little Brothers and two of my friend's processors and they are great. I will be doing the same with my 7700k. When I get home from work today I will be putting it in my board and see what is up with my 3007 bios and hope it works out.

Ya I have been looking at Asrock too and I very well may give them a try if my bios has problems with the 7700k. I hope it doesnt because my Deluxe is my favorite board I've ever had. It's not hatred bro, like I just said I love my z170 Deluxe, it's been the most rock solid board I've ever owned. I just don't like what I see this Generation, I don't feel the level of quality is up to par. My buddy has the Code on the way and I do all his PC work so I will get to see first hand and build with it and use it and get a better idea. Like any company out there, they all have crap boards and high end boards not just Gigabyte, Asus has low end boards too. This Gen I like what I see better with them and Asrock that is all I am saying. It is early tho and I am sure Asus has more to come. But hopefully I don't have anything to worry about. I want my 7700k to run solid in my z170 Deluxe then im done with this/these platforms. Starting the middle of next month all my extra money is being set aside for x299.

Can I ask why you favour Gigabytes G line up - when all things considered? Not sure what you look for in quality, however;

1) The Code and Formula have 4133 DRAM support, Gigabyte G9 has 3800.

2) ASUS Apex is currently dominating in the overclocking scene, holding world records. The Gigabyte G9 currently holds no world records.

3) ASUS boards let you use the Thermal Control Tool to better assess work load types when overclocking. No such tool exists on the G9

Other than your fixation on the white aesthetic of the Deluxe/G9 and your quoting of power phases, I fail to see what quality differences you are concerned with.

Michael-i7
01-25-2017, 09:08 PM
No thank you. None of that means anything. Those records don't mean anything except that the people trying for them tried with a 200$ Asus board nothing else. I have said it and I'll say it again. I like that one particular Motherboard right now better than any other z270 on the market that is it. And yes it does have 4133 support as well. But I have my eyes on the M9E as well. That entire ridiculous argument you carried on about in last thread that you got closed down was simply over the fact I don't think the Code is nearly the quality of the Deluxe. The Deluxe has usually carried much more quality in my opinion. Nothing else matters to me but my opinion. But after spending the last couple hours looking at the M9E that may be the one choose if I need to but also like I said. I don't think I will need to. Justin here couldn't get Bios 3007 to even work with Skylake. Mine works fine with Skylake right now.

But no I'm not going to explain myself it doesn't matter. I will spend my money how I want, and I will be building with the code in a couple days and I will get a feel for it. But yes I do believe 100% that the G9 is a much better quality board than the M9F and M9C. I would choose it over those two and all the Strix boards. But have a good day I don't want to argue on this dudes thread with you today.

Silent Scone@ASUS
01-25-2017, 09:17 PM
No thank you. None of that means anything. Those records don't mean anything except that the people trying for them tried with a 200$ Asus board nothing else. I have said it and I'll say it again. I like that one particular Motherboard right now better than any other z270 on the market that is it. And yes it does have 4133 support as well. But I have my eyes on the M9E as well. That entire ridiculous argument you carried on about in last thread that you got closed down was simply over the fact I don't think the Code is nearly the quality of the Deluxe. The Deluxe has usually carried much more quality in my opinion. Nothing else matters to me but my opinion. But after spending the last couple hours looking at the M9E that may be the one choose if I need to but also like I said. I don't think I will need to. Justin here couldn't get Bios 3007 to even work with Skylake. Mine works fine with Skylake right now.

But no I'm not going to explain myself it doesn't matter. I will spend my money how I want, and I will be building with the code in a couple days and I will get a feel for it. But yes I do believe 100% that the G9 is a much better quality board than the M9F and M9C. I would choose it over those two and all the Strix boards. But have a good day I don't want to argue on this dudes thread with you today.

Your last escapade trying to explain yourself alluded to the power phases, how you overclock every component. But the G9 doesn't overclock nearly as well. If the G9 was a higher quality board, it would overclock better. The same can be said for the Deluxe memory support.

Doesn't seem like you can substantiate your claims. You're entitled to an opinion, but when it comes down to brass tacks, what you're saying isn't true.

Michael-i7
01-25-2017, 10:58 PM
Don't need to Lame. Mind your own business. You have your opinions I have mine. I'm not asking you to explain yourself, nor do I care anything of what your opinions are. Defend the product man. Go for it. Asus isn't going to give you a job or send you product for defending them when it's unneeded nor asked for.

Well got home just after 2 o'clock, unmounted the pump, took the 6700k out tossed in the 7700k and booted right into bios. Multiplier is unlocked, Recognizes the chip, everything seems good. Thew it 5 GHz with a 1.425 vCore just as trial boot and I'm windows no problem.

Gonna run to the store and get pizza for the ol lady and kids and retreat to the office for the night with a half a pizza and not come out til morning. Lol Ya idk why you had problems but screw it like you said just keep both setups.

JustinThyme
01-26-2017, 03:21 AM
Looks great Justin !

Do you use a delidding tool or razor blade ? Menthol uses the Rockit delid tool and looks safe and easy to use, I never delidded a cpu but I'm contemplating on getting the Rockit tool.

http://rockitcool.myshopify.com/

I was tempted to procure a rocket tool but went with the razor blade method. Wasn't all that difficult, took less than 5 minutes going slow and methodical. What I would recommend is if you do choose the razor method just buy one of the cheap plastic razor scraper holders. The rocket tool Im sure is a lot faster. If was was intending on buying a lot of CPUs or doing it a lot for others I would probably invest in it but this makes all of two Ive done and may do one more within the next year when the skylake x comes out.

What I can tell you is on the two I've done it made a substantial difference.

Can you guys please take the arguments to PM. We all have our preferences, the only thing that makes them right or wrong it the persons preference and use.

JustinThyme
01-26-2017, 03:35 AM
Well got home just after 2 o'clock, unmounted the pump, took the 6700k out tossed in the 7700k and booted right into bios. Multiplier is unlocked, Recognizes the chip, everything seems good. Thew it 5 GHz with a 1.425 vCore just as trial boot and I'm windows no problem.

Gonna run to the store and get pizza for the ol lady and kids and retreat to the office for the night with a half a pizza and not come out til morning. Lol Ya idk why you had problems but screw it like you said just keep both setups.

Good luck! let us know how you make out and what your config is with other hardware etc. I failed with the M8E assy which ASUS engineering says is the same board and I would almost tend to agree. Looks to me that color and what comes in the box is all that is different. Older BIOS and drivers are the same and the assembly page is not updated for whatever reason.

What I can say is two separate boards would not run the 3007 BIOS successfully, 6700K or 7700K and neither would run the 7700K on 2202. Both tanked on first reboot with code 60.

This is with 2 960 pros in raid0, 64GB Gskill Trident 3400MHz kit and two 1080 Strix A8Gs. Maybe it will work with something different? Would be nice to know from other users what they are using and what works and what doesnt. Ive already jumped off the cliff with a IX forumla and going to stay with it.

Michael-i7
01-26-2017, 08:52 AM
Ya sorry man. I'm a man and I'll admit, the argument Him and I got into the other day was a result of me on my day off having too much to drink and I apologize for bringing it to a Community Forum. But I asked him to stop repeatedly. We all have Opinions. I have had 3 builds with 3 Asus boards. One (z68) went out on me I got Giga used, cheap liked it. Still continued with Asus Motherboards, That is why I came to this Forum as well. Any I don't like to argue and am going to just stay away from Forums altogether if I have a drink. Sorry about that.

Looks like I will more than likely get a z270. Boots up works but the stability is not there. With 6700K in z170 Deluxe I can get the Core and Cache at 4.7 GHz 1.416v
(After De-Lid) sucker ran too hot before. Had it at 4.5 Core/Un 1.312v Gtx 1080 FTW Hybrid at 2139 MHz, 3200 MHz Dominator running at 3333 MHz. 1.36v. Stable all day. 7700k I can hit 4.9 Core 4.6 Uncore running Ram at 2133. And it's Aida 64 1 hour stable P95 version 26.6 1 hour as well. Hit it with version 28.10 it won't make it 20 minutes. That's at 1.416v No Raid, one 950 pro 256gb for os 1tb and 3tb spinner. I can't run XMP and actually TBH since the flash to 3007 even with Skylake I had to back my memory off to 3200 xmp. Had 1902 before with the above listed Overclocks xmp off everything Manual Aida 64 6 hours RB 6 hours p95 26.6 I only ran for 2 before hitting it with 28.10 for 2 more. Been like that for 5 months.

The Homie has the Code coming tomorrow, I already have my 6700k back in. I'm testing the 7700k in the Code tomorrow with his build, see if I can get more out of this chip. If it's the chip he already told me to try his 7700k he's getting and take the better of the two as he is Using all air in a much smaller case and doesn't really care as long as I build his PC for free again. He's happy at 4.9 GHz but TBH I really think the stability of this Bios like you said is not optimized yet not even for Skylake as I has a more stable higher Overclocked system with 1902. Bios Flashback once the dust settles. Keep me Posted on your results and true feelings on that board. One thing I will definitely say about Asus that I forgot about before is the Memory Overclocking definitely seems to be better on their boards. I have plans for a second 1080 tho so I'm hoping there will be some compatible Bridges for these new boards you're talking about.

Raja@ASUS
01-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Any more of this back and forth and I will delete posts. Opinions are fine if they have some supporting evidence, otherwise, they have no place on the forum. Let's keep Justin's thread on topic.

Michael-i7
01-26-2017, 01:33 PM
No Problem

Michael-i7
01-26-2017, 04:05 PM
Ya man the 3007 Bios must be the same firmware for both. I wouldn't imagine there would be two different 3007 versions one for mine one for yours but maybe that is the case. But regardless even with Skylake in mine I had two crashes since I had updated it Sunday or Monday night, then this morning five minures ago with my 6700k back in it another crash. Been stable on 1902 for 4-5 months so I am going to Flashback today. Then later this afternoon I will proceed with slapping together my buddys 7700k/Code setup and see how far I can push these two chips.

JustinThyme
01-27-2017, 01:28 AM
If you were getting crashes too its just not working.
On 2202 I have a decent bin of the 6700k that I got to the 5Ghz mark at 1.456 and it runs that for most everything but to be 100% stable I have to go on up to 1.488 delidded with a custom loop. I can keep the temp down even up to 1.5

Now this 7700K just blows that out of the water at 5.1Ghz at 1.360 on half baked corsiar AIO peaking at 65C under heavy load. Once I hit 5Ghz on it with temps spiking up to mid 70s I popped the lid and decided to keep this one and send back the the other while the lid was still on it. Im sure my custom loop will drop that down at least 5C, most likly by 10C and let me get the clock up easily. Im betting I can break 5.2 and maybe more. 5.1 was no challenge. This was the better of two chips, first one wouldnt pass 4.8 Ghz no matter what you threw at it, Go just a little over and it crashed inneidiately after getting to deaktop. So while it looks like some of these samples will be stellar the lottery is still very much in effect.

JustinThyme
01-30-2017, 07:18 AM
Everything is in the case and working well. Just passed 5.2 Ghz but going to try dialing the Vcore back a little to see where I end up, sitting at 1.424 ATM

http://valid.x86.fr/dgg8d4

Real bench score dropped a bit from the 5.1GHz score. Ill sort that out later.
May be because I left the multi at 51 and ran up the BCLCK or the GPUs?