PDA

View Full Version : Bios guide / fast boot up

Jimlad
01-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Hello all,*

i just purchased the new Hero, and so far very impressed in both performance and looks. *At present it is taking around 20 seconds for me to boot up. *i was wondering if anyone had any tips tricks to get a super fast boot up, i see and hear people on Asus boards getting under 10 seconds and i am keen to get this as well. *It bugs me that my 5 year old laptop boots quicker at present*:mad:

video of boot up

https://youtu.be/U8EB5i2UBnI

my spec is below *

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Satin Black
Asus Hero z270
Intel I7 6700K Skylake @ 4.5
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz GeForce GTX
1070 Founders Edition
Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 PCI-e NVMe SSD
WD Black 3TB
Corsair RMi Series RM850i PSU
Corsair Hydro Series H110i*

Brighttail
01-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Once you move to the NVMe drive in the UEFI BIOS there are extra things to check.

Things you can turn off to speed it up some are things like Bluetooth and Wifi - if you aren't using either of those.
You can turn off some of the Ram testing if you are 100% sure you have stable RAM (do so at your own risk tho I have mine off) You can do this via DRAM Timings and all the way at the bottom there are 3-4 settings you can enable to skip the POST testing or disable and ignore.

Honestly, while I understand your desire to boot faster, you have a high end board with more bells n whistles so it will take more time to load it all up.

Chino
01-24-2017, 04:25 PM
Adding to what Brighttail said, also make sure you've installed Windows in UEFI mode.

Jimlad
01-26-2017, 11:54 PM
Hi guys

thanks for the replies.

i am pretty sure i installed in UEFI mode, i used Rufus to build a install using windows 10 64bit AE. maybe i missed something ?

here is a short video of my boot up. it seems to do nothing for 10 seconds or so.

https://youtu.be/U8EB5i2UBnI

Brighttail
01-27-2017, 12:03 AM
That is about right.

UEFI is going to take a little time but I turn my R5E10 on and it is about 8-10 seconds before my screen comes on.

I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Basically with more and more and more features, even with faster CPUs it takes time.

madmeatballs
01-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Same thing happens to me. I also have a Hero and an nvme drive (intel 600p)

Jimlad
01-27-2017, 11:15 AM
bah, i thought these things had 'fast boot' bugs me that my old computer booted quicker

Chino
01-27-2017, 05:08 PM
DDR4 training takes longer compared to DDR3. So booting isn't as quick.

upsnef
01-28-2017, 04:57 PM
maybe I'm wrong but you didn't install windows in UEFI mode

when you install in UEFI you will have the ROG logo with the spinning wheel , you have the windows logo, that generally mean you are not in UEFI

and as per your video seem booting is good, if you talk about the first initialization, nothing seem incorrect, and to be honest Asus never be the fastest in this area but its ok for me , will not use another brand

let me film both mine to compare with yours

http://youtu.be/UpIdEJdMbZo

fmkenner
01-28-2017, 07:28 PM
I'm new here, and don't wish to derail this thread. I keep hereing about installing windows in UEFI mode. I own a hero ix and wish to do so. Is there a walk thru or guide to show me?

Brighttail
01-28-2017, 07:55 PM
I'm new here, and don't wish to derail this thread. I keep hereing about installing windows in UEFI mode. I own a hero ix and wish to do so. Is there a walk thru or guide to show me?

Well to do this you need a harddrive that is UEFI capable. Normally when you go to install windows from a USB flash drive you have to boot off this drive. When going to select the drive to boot off, you should see an option like "Sandisk Extreme - (UEFI))" Selecting this will allow the windows install program to create a new partition on your hard drive that will have FOUR separate partitions. Non-UEFI will usually have TWO.

OF course to be able to see this option for your installation your BIOS must be set to recognize UEFI. So make sure in your BOOT options you have selected UEFI for your boot device.

Finally your Motherboard has to have UEFI Capable.

Silent Scone@ASUS
01-28-2017, 08:21 PM
Are you Jimlad that used to be in #overclockers Quakenet on IRC? ;)

fmkenner
01-28-2017, 08:41 PM
I should be able to use the UEFI, everything is new.

ROG Maximus IX Hero
ROG Strix Geforce GTX 1070 OC
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
i7-7700K
Crucial 525GB M.2 SSD
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GBx2= 32GB
Corsair AX750W
Thermaltake Core X9 case

Was going to add a TB drive thats older later when I get everything set up.

Brighttail
01-28-2017, 10:19 PM
Yup you should. I normally will go into BIOS hit F7 then F8 and have a list of all my drives I can boot off of. Just choose the drive that has Windows install on it and choose the UEFI option. If you don't see it. Go into Boot options and make sure you set your cd/HD/boot drive as UEFI first or UEFI only. :)

JustinThyme
01-28-2017, 11:02 PM
I should be able to use the UEFI, everything is new.

ROG Maximus IX Hero
ROG Strix Geforce GTX 1070 OC
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
i7-7700K
Crucial 525GB M.2 SSD
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GBx2= 32GB
Corsair AX750W
Thermaltake Core X9 case

Was going to add a TB drive thats older later when I get everything set up.

In your BIOS before you even install windows select is as UEFI. Under CSM you can either disable that or set *the options to UEFI first you don't need CSM enabled for most applications unless you are booting from a network or Optical drive.

Back on the topic I'm still not getting the obsession over being booted to desktop at light speed. There are a lot of things going on in desktops that don't happen in laptops. Some are simple and common sense like the 3 second default delay that gives you time to hit the del or F2 to get in the BIOS when things don't go as planned on an OC, unless you would rather spend hours until you hard fault your drive and it goes to a black screen halt saying MBR is missing then you can get in the BIOS. Fast boot os more aptly named as fast joke as in you just fell for a rebranding of hibernation. *Uses the same hiberfil.sys file to dump everything that is loaded in ram to your boot drive then reloads it when you reboot or boot back up. Having problems that need a fresh boot? You now have to do a hard shut down by holding in the power button so not use fast boot. Otherwise the problem driver just gets reloaded in the exact same messed up state it was in before you restarted. Now if you are using a high $$ SSD that's a wasted write of a huge file , hiberfil.sys, to your drive every time to **** down or reboot and is proportional to what you have running as well as the size of your ram. Writes of 16GB to 60GB are not uncommon each and every time you shut down or reboot. *I've done extensive testing on this and at most it shaves off 3 seconds on the boot that you lose on the shut down because of the memory dump.*

My advice? Don't obsess over how long it take your machine to reload the apps and drivers that were in memory as you can't really even call that a boot, more of resume from renamed hibernation, *and instead obsess about how much of an OC your can get out of that puppy for performance *enhancement where it actually counts!*

Praz
01-28-2017, 11:22 PM
Fast boot os more aptly named as fast joke as in you just fell for a rebranding of hibernation. *Uses the same hiberfil.sys file to dump everything that is loaded in ram to your boot drive then reloads it when you reboot or boot back up. Having problems that need a fresh boot? You now have to do a hard shut down by holding in the power button so not use fast boot. Otherwise the problem driver just gets reloaded in the exact same messed up state it was in before you restarted. Now if you are using a high $$ SSD that's a wasted write of a huge file , hiberfil.sys, to your drive every time to **** down or reboot and is proportional to what you have running as well as the size of your ram. Writes of 16GB to 60GB are not uncommon each and every time you shut down or reboot.
Hello

As you link the term "fast boot" with the creation and use of the hibernation file I'm assuming you are actually referring to the shutdown option in Windows labeled as Fast Startup. If so unlike the more conventional form of hibernation Fast Start writes only approximately 20% of the ram contents to disk. Also a restart form within the operating system forces a S5 shutdown so no need to be holding in the power button as stated above.

bn880
02-01-2017, 01:02 AM
i just purchased the new Hero, and so far very impressed in both performance and looks. *At present it is taking around 20 seconds for me to boot up. *i was wondering if anyone had any tips tricks to get a super fast boot up, i see and hear people on Asus boards getting under 10 seconds and i am keen to get this as well. *It bugs me that my 5 year old laptop boots quicker at presen

I had similar issues which I noticed after some time, and I thought my board or CPU was busted. But no.

The things that can speed up your boot time (but not performance after)

1. Try Setting your DRAM at just 2133Mhz (Auto usually)
2. Try leaving all CPU settings at AUTO (not overclocking)
3. Obviously removing the post screen (Set Auto) and delay to 0.

So yeah, those 3 things take my board from 25s to windows login screen down to 14s on Formula. (Non UEFI OS install)

Edit: Also do a normal shutdown from OS to have fast boot next time around.