PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74SX Clean Install Clear-ups and Doubts

XVeno
01-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Hello everyone, to start off, I'd like to say, as most of you will notice, that this is my first post in the RoG community (had some issues while registering because the RoG registration form was looping everytime due to the fact that i already had an AsusMember account, but it wouldnt let me connect anyways, forcing me to change the e-mail for my other AsusMember Account), and i've been reading thoroughly all the issues with Asus G74SX and I'd like to know some stuff:

a) Is there ANYONE that hadn't had a single issue with the G74?

b) I've read that most of you recommend a Clean Install of W7, and I kinda see where are you guys coming from, although I'd like to know if the asus's apps really strain the performance that much, like, is it really performance-changing the removal of those apps? Furthermore, can you name the apps that aren't needed whatsoever?

I'm buying a G74 anytime soon, but such issues might make me think twice before jumping straight into the fray..

Thank you for your replies in advance.

BrodyBoy
01-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Most likely, owners who haven't had ANY issues with their G74 have never bothered to seek out this forum. ;o)

The biggest problem with the Asus bloatware ("apps") is probably not the performance strain, but the instability they cause. All those issues you've read about? They aren't issues inherent to the G74 hardware platform...the hardware is just fine, in most cases. (A few bad touchpads and keyboards here and there....) They are issues with the OEM software installation. Far too many of those utilities are poorly-written software, and some of the drivers are old & glitchy.

Every Asus program, except for the ATK Package, would fall under "not needed whatsoever."

zsld0423
01-05-2012, 11:02 PM
I've only had mine for a few days, but honestly I've had no issues with it whatsoever. I also completely read through these forums to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into beforehand :P. I did a fresh install, but the way ASUS has it packaged for you, you could easily run it with the setup it ships with. Of course you'd want to go through and update the drivers (mainly the ATK package/Video Card/BIOS as well) but the stock setup shouldn't give you any dents in performance. I've read that the Power4Gear program can cause issues with things, but I haven't had that problem yet. And any apps you don't need you can always uninstall, and there should be a Drivers/Utilities disc that comes with it or there's always the ASUS downloads page. IMO you don't need any of the apps it gives you, except maybe the AI Recovery program for making backup discs, and after that it can be uninstalled.

BrodyBoy
01-05-2012, 11:37 PM
I've only had mine for a few days, but honestly I've had no issues with it whatsoever.
I assume that the OP means "no issues with the out-of-box" setup.

No issues with a heavily-modified configuration like yours (and mine) doesn't really address that question. I can't think of anyone that had absolutely no issues with the OEM setup, with no intervention whatsoever. The Atheros driver alone is known to cause a lot of problems.

zsld0423
01-05-2012, 11:41 PM
I assume that the OP means "no issues with the out-of-box" setup.

No issues with a heavily-modified configuration like yours (and mine) doesn't really address that question. I can't think of anyone that had absolutely no issues with the OEM setup, with no intervention whatsoever. The Atheros driver alone is known to cause a lot of problems.

Yeah I read about the Atheros problems, which made me immediately go for the Intel Ultimate 6300 card instead :P But yes, more than likely on a factory OEM setup, there's bound to be problems because of the faulty software

FenrirMH
01-05-2012, 11:45 PM
To be honest, BrodyBoy's right, the only problems I had when I got mine early November 2011, were due to the pre-installed software, ASUS WebStorage kept causing the explorer.exe error, the ATK software causing problems my Fn keys to not function, little things. But having recently done a Clean Install myself (Jan 2nd 2012) my system is now error free, all drivers have been updated and have no system problems at all now, if u do decide on a G74Sx I would recommend ignoring the included G74Sx Driver Disk as these are all out of date, the only thing I took off the disk was the G74Sx screensaver and the ASUS Wallpapers :) Best make your own (see JRdst1's thread, I keep mine on the system itself as well as a DVD along with my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 .ISO). Would highly recommend a G74Sx over a similar system, for me I decided to go for the G74Sx over the similar Alienware options (cost being one to get a Alienware M11x, M17x or M18x upto the G74's spec). I've also found it's highly customisable, loving RocketDock and my little ROG start orb (It's the simple things, lol).

XVeno
01-06-2012, 12:10 AM
I've only had mine for a few days, but honestly I've had no issues with it whatsoever. I also completely read through these forums to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into beforehand :P. I did a fresh install, but the way ASUS has it packaged for you, you could easily run it with the setup it ships with. Of course you'd want to go through and update the drivers (mainly the ATK package/Video Card/BIOS as well) but the stock setup shouldn't give you any dents in performance. I've read that the Power4Gear program can cause issues with things, but I haven't had that problem yet. And any apps you don't need you can always uninstall, and there should be a Drivers/Utilities disc that comes with it or there's always the ASUS downloads page. IMO you don't need any of the apps it gives you, except maybe the AI Recovery program for making backup discs, and after that it can be uninstalled.

Well if it doesnt really affect the performance, then why do most people want to remove all of those by a Clean Install? Are those issues caused by the software THAT serious?

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Well if it doesnt really affect the performance, then why do most people want to remove all of those by a Clean Install? Are those issues caused by the software THAT serious?
I think the cumulative gist of the responses here answers that question. Yes, they are THAT serious, and that's why pretty much everyone here does a clean install sooner or later. (Or, at the very least, uninstalls a lot of bloatware.) If even the one response (sort of) defending the OEM setup is from an owner who chose not to use it....what does that tell you? ;)

XVeno
01-06-2012, 12:41 AM
I think the cumulative gist of the responses here answers that question. Yes, they are THAT serious, and that's why pretty much everyone here does a clean install sooner or later. (Or, at the very least, uninstalls a lot of bloatware.) If even the one response (sort of) defending the OEM setup is from an owner who chose not to use it....what does that tell you? ;)

Well, it doesnt differ much from what you guys have been telling me to be honest :p so i guess that in the end, i'd stick by your opinions...
The only reason why I came up with this question is because I dont feel that comfortable using a copy of Windows that is not mine, yes, you might find this picky, but i guess that's the way it goes, although many of you have done it, using Chastity's or Jrd1st's tutorial, so, yeah.

One question though, if I end up doing the clean install, will I be able to use the win code given in the back of my equipment in the end?

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 12:49 AM
The only reason why I came up with this question is because I dont feel that comfortable using a copy of Windows that is not mine.
One question though, if I end up doing the clean install, will I be able to use the win code given in the back of my equipment in the end?
I think you may have misunderstood what a clean install is. Every Windows installation starts with a generic copy of Windows, as released by Microsoft. OEMs add all their own drivers and utilities to that. And when a customer buys one their computers, part of what they're paying for is a single license to use that edition of Windows on that computer.

When you do a fresh installation, you start with a generic copy of Windows as well. It's not a hack or illegal copy....it's the generic build released by Microsoft, just like the OEMs use. But then you add only the drivers and programs you actually want. You activate using the Product Key you have already paid for....again, entirely legal....so you ARE in fact using a copy of Windows that is YOURS, and yours only, for that matter. Your product key cannot be used on any other computer, but you can use it on the computer you purchased it with, as many times as you want.

XVeno
01-06-2012, 12:52 AM
I think you may have misunderstood what a clean install is. Every Windows installation starts with a generic copy of Windows, as released by Microsoft. OEM installations add all their own drivers and utilities to that. And when a customer buys one their computers, part of what they're paying for is a single license to use that edition of Windows on that computer.

When you do a fresh installation, you start with a generic copy of Windows as well. It's not a hack or illegal copy....it's the generic build released by Microsoft, just like the OEMs use. But then you add only the drivers and programs you actually want. You activate using the Product Key you have already paid for....again, entirely legal....so you ARE in fact using a copy of Windows that is YOURS, and yours only, for that matter. Your product key cannot be used on any other computer, but you can use it on the computer you purchased it with, as many times as you want.

Oh I see it, and as for the wifi card, does it really suck as much as everyone says? :o
What would be the average price for switching the stock card with a...let's say, Intel Ultimate 6300 card?

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 12:55 AM
No. With the updated drivers, it's a perfectly good 150Mbps card.

If you use a router that runs a faster network (typically 300Mbps), you would get a performance boost with a card upgrade. Fortunately, it's one of the cheapest upgrades you can do....about $35-45 for the 6300. If you use a 150Mbps router, a card upgrade would make no difference.

XVeno
01-06-2012, 01:02 AM
No. With the updated drivers, it's a perfectly good 150Mbps card.

If you use a router that runs a faster network (typically 300Mbps), you would get a performance boost with a card upgrade. Fortunately, it's one of the cheapest upgrades you can do....about $35-45 for the 6300. If you use a 150Mbps router, a card upgrade would make no difference.

Oh then i'm alright, since I use wireless connection and my router goes up to 100Mbps, and so does my internet, so, i'm alright with that.

So, last from my questions for the moment, I take it that the difference between pressing F9 to restore the system and making a clean install, would be that pressing F9 would re-install the bloatware all over again, making it no "cleaner" whatsoever, while using a iso with win7HP would only install the root files needed by windows in order to make the laptop fully operational. right?

Brodyboy, i take it that you have a g74 as well, if so, what is your personal "review" about the equipment?

FenrirMH
01-06-2012, 01:24 AM
My Windows 7 ISO which I got from DigitalRiver has been fully activated using the sticker underneath the notebook, as computer's nowadays don’t come with a actual Windows Disc, you will need a ISO to actually do a Clean Install, just mount to either a DVD or USB, then just activate it, via the Windows key on the sticker underneath. Bear in mind you need the right ISO which relates to the version which originally came with your notebook (so if you only got Win7 Home Premium, you can’t then use your key to activate Win7 Ultimate, see my thread here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9015-For-Anyone-having-trouble-finding-the-right-Windows-ISO for getting the right ISO if needed.

Also, yes on bootup pressing F9 will install all the bloatware. Instead, make a bootable DVD or USB with the ISO image, then press F2 when you see the ASUS logo to enter BIOS, then select BOOT, select your USB or DVD as preferred BOOT device, insert DVD/USB, save and exit, then should get dislpay saying boot from DVD, press ENTER (you will only get a few seconds before this disappears and it continues to load Windows normally), then just follow the onscreen prompts, make sure you have the latest Drivers on DVD or USB before hand, saves alot of hassle.

Have I missed anything Brody?

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Oh then i'm alright, since I use wireless connection and my router goes up to 100Mbps, and so does my internet, so, i'm alright with that.
Yeah, like I said....with the new driver, the Atheros should work just fine for you.

So, last from my questions for the moment, I take it that the difference between pressing F9 to restore the system and making a clean install, would be that pressing F9 would re-install the bloatware all over again, making it no "cleaner" whatsoever, while using a iso with win7HP would only install the root files needed by windows in order to make the laptop fully operational. right?
Essentially...yes. F9 will do a factory restore, which is a complete, automated re-installation of the out-of-box configuration....bloatware and all. A clean install is a manual process. First, you install Windows. Then, you install the 8-10 essential drivers required to attain functionality of all the G74's onboard devices.

Brodyboy, i take it that you have a g74 as well, if so, what is your personal "review" about the equipment?
Yeah....I've had three of them!! lol! In a nutshell, I think the G74 is a really nice desktop replacement laptop computer, with a really bad OEM software installation.

I would have preferred that Asus installed Synaptics touchpads on all the G74s (most have Sentelic), but that's a minor annoyance.
It has relatively poor speakers (compared to some older laptops I've owned), but they're passable.
The full HD display is excellent, IMO....probably the best LED I've seen. (I have another Asus model that's only a year old, and its 1600x900 display is hideous compared to the G74.)

All in all, I think the hardware platform is good, but I really believe that this model requires a clean install if you want stable, reliable operation. That makes it less-than-ideal for people who want a plug-n-play option.....this one requries some user intervention. Finally, I think Asus support is bad, but I honestly don't know if it's any better or worse than the other big manufacturers.

Trijicon
01-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Heck all I have done is throw 4GB more memory into mine, update my drivers and select the external speakers thru THX for better sound.... I have not done a clean install or remove any of the bloatware and she is running like a friggn champ.

The only 'issue' I ran into was while updating my video driver the picture in CinePlayer stopped playing... I could still hear the movies sound but had no picture... All I had to do was roll the driver back and all worked fine after that... Still running that driver and games are playing fine so I'll stick with it until I have issues... And then at that time I will just get better BluRay software to play movies if there's still an issue.

So far so good with this beast though!

XVeno
01-06-2012, 08:48 AM
So I guess i'll just stick by the clean install option, it's not that much of a deal anyways, besides from the ATK package, graphics driver, and some of the other gibberish, what software from Asus should I download? I've heard that GameFast for example, is nowhere to be found on the internet.

dstrakele
01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
GameFast is included with the Rotation Desktop software.

XVeno
01-06-2012, 06:21 PM
GameFast is included with the Rotation Desktop software.

Hmm I understand...

Well, after reading most of the G74SX threads here (trust me, I had, god bless my patience xD), and learning how to get a better chance at NOT bricking my soon-to-be Asus G74SX, i noticed most of you mention installing the Chipset driver, a INF something, and since I'm going with a Clean Install as soon as I get it and play with some of the bloatware, I don't wanna miss anything important that might affect my overall experience...

I am familiar with some of the Asus issues (specially the Asus Web Storage crash with the Explorer.exe, but I managed to fix that myself), since I've recently acquired an Asus as well, but I don't think I'll dare risking much more than updating the BIOS.

So, if it's not asking much, may I have a step-by-step tutorial, explaining all essential drivers that i must have, in order to make it fully enjoyable and operational? You can leave the DL links to me, as I'm aware of the existence of both Jrd1st and Chastity's threads regarding drivers.

Thank you in advance.

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Updating the BIOS is pretty safe if you use EasyFlash. But if you don;t have keyboard issues, you really don't HAVE to do it. FOr which part of the process do you want a step-by-step tutorial?

dstrakele
01-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Here's what I did for a clean Windows 7 installation:

1) downloaded the Windows 7 SP1 ISO
2) burned a DVD with the ISO file
3) copied the latest WLAN driver to a flash drive so I could get the wireless connection running after the new install.
4) downloaded and installed ABR to the flash drive. Used it to backup my current Windows Activation info onto the flash drive.
5) Installed Windows 7 SP1
6) installed WLAN (Atheros on my system), Intel Chipset, Fresco Logic USB 3.0, ASUS ATK Package, Touchpad, Sound , and Video drivers. I still have not installed Ethernet, Bluetooth, Card Reader, Intel RST drivers, or Intel Management Engine Interface update - I'm not using these features.
7) Configured Windows Update to allow me to choose when to download and install updates. Used Windows Update to install the latest Security updates.
8) I used ABR to restore the Windows Activation info from my flash drive to my new installation.
9) Installed Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes AntiMalware.
10) Installed the other applications I use.
11) Checked everything worked and made a backup. Some may prefer to create the backup after they've installed the just the drivers and Windows Updates.

I didn't do it at the time, but someone recommended booting into Safe Mode for installing drivers. I think this is a good idea. It eliminates other running drivers that may interfere with your driver installation. I have seen a couple of posts where a user installed the Bluetooth driver and it borked their entire new clean Windows install. I suspect this occurred because another driver(s) running on the system interfered with the installation and corrupted it.

XVeno
01-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Updating the BIOS is pretty safe if you use EasyFlash. But if you don;t have keyboard issues, you really don't HAVE to do it. FOr which part of the process do you want a step-by-step tutorial?

I feel confident enough to clean install win7...
The tutorial i request is actually for the driver part, since I don't wanna miss anything important... So yeah, I'd just like to know what drivers I can't miss, and also some of, let's say, the "bloatware" that you kept for example, like P4G, and so on.

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
I feel confident enough to clean install win7...
The tutorial i request is actually for the driver part, since I don't wanna miss anything important... So yeah, I'd just like to know what drivers I can't miss, and also some of, let's say, the "bloatware" that you kept for example, like P4G, and so on.

Intel chipset driver
Intel RST
Intel MEI (Windows Update will eventually install this, if you don't want to do it manually)
Nvidia graphics driver
Realtek Ethernet driver
Realtek multi-card reader driver
Fresco USB driver
Wireless adapter driver
Realtek HD Audio driver
Bluetooth driver (if applicable, if wanted)
Touchpad driver
ATK Package
No Asus bloatware

XVeno
01-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Intel chipset driver

where can I find that one?
I think i'll start dl'ing the drivers to make sure i have everything set for the clean install

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Directly from Intel. (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20019/a08/infinst_autol.exe) (link embedded)

Good idea. I think it's good practice to have all drivers ready before you start.

XVeno
01-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Directly from Intel. (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20019/a08/infinst_autol.exe) (link embedded)

Good idea. I think it's good practice to have all drivers ready before you start.

Thanks Brody, you've been quite the support for my decision of getting a G74, despite all of the known issues.
But then again, it's like most people say, statistically, the number of people that come to this forum to expose their issues is tremendously small compared to the number of people that are perfectly happy with their equipment. So, I guess I'll hold on to that idea, and I might even be lucky and get a issue-free machine...

XVeno
01-06-2012, 08:27 PM
One more question, I'm counting two RST drivers in the Intel website, do I need both of them?

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 08:29 PM
You're absolutely right!

I think the incidence of hardware failure is probably pretty small. And since you are doing a clean install, you are drastically lowering your odds for software issues. You're better than lucky....you're smart. :) I'm sure it'll work great for you.

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 08:30 PM
One more question, I'm counting two RST drivers in the Intel website, do I need both of them?Just the first one. The second one is the multi-language installer.

PS: Did you get my PM about the BIOS update?

XVeno
01-06-2012, 08:41 PM
You're absolutely right!

I think the incidence of hardware failure is probably pretty small. And since you are doing a clean install, you are drastically lowering your odds for software issues. You're better than lucky....you're smart. :) I'm sure it'll work great for you.

Yeah that's what I intend to do honestly.

Just the first one. The second one is the multi-language installer.

Yes I had, and I've downloaded the pdf.
So far it seems quite easy, I just hope I don't brick it, even by following the steps flawlessly xD

XVeno
01-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Just the first one. The second one is the multi-language installer.

Look here (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technolog y). I don't know if it's already selected, but if not, just select Win7 64 and then Drivers, and you'll notice two entries, those are the ones I'm talking about.

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 08:45 PM
OKay....just get this one. (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20624/eng/iata_enu_10.8.0.1003.exe) (No need for the floppy disk method!)

XVeno
01-06-2012, 09:09 PM
OKay....just get this one. (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20624/eng/iata_enu_10.8.0.1003.exe) (No need for the floppy disk method!)

Thanks Brody, I'll keep on downloading the drivers that i'll need for my clean install, will take the chance to update my wi-fi driver as well (running on an Atheros 9285 :p)

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 12:27 AM
first off, I wish i would of remembered this thread/community before i started formatting and doing clean install after clean install not realizing that my BSOD's were coming from the drivers and not the memory sticks! I would of save a lot of time and frustration...but i digress..

You guys are talking about exactly what I need help in right now..and i'm going to go over THIS specific thread over and over to make sure I do my clean install on my G74 right (for the last time) I've been having BSOD issues even when I just install the drivers and Win7 x64 ultimate...It was the damn disc drivers!!! just read around the forum.. that was a big no no on my part! stupid me.

My question for you Brody is, how would i know if i need to do a BIOS update? my Blue screens were from the drivers but I'm not sure which one. I'm going to do the same clean install today when i get home from work like X is...whenever he gets his rig. soooo i can just follow the list that you posted earlier on like page 3 or 4? and I should be good? I've really had a hard time with BSOD's and really really just want my G74 to work right.. I want to install just the main drivers but also, do want to mess with anything that not broken. kwim? (know what i mean)

also, my bluetooth was disabled by the OS because it said that the driver was corrupt or found that it wasn't working well so it disabled it.. can i just install the new updated driver and get it work?

last question...i replaced one of my HDD with a Kingston SSD 96gb so i can load WIn7 faster and stuff...but kept the other HDD 750gb as a storage...do i need a driver for that? I thought i can just use it as a simple drive?

thanks for any advice...sorry to piggy back off this thread...let me know if i should start my own? it was just because this thread was exactly what i was looking for and almost teared up when i found you guys talking about what I been frustrated with for quite some time now...

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 12:37 AM
My question for you Brody is, how would i know if i need to do a BIOS update?Check to see if your current BIOS is v203.

also, my bluetooth was disabled by the OS because it said that the driver was corrupt or found that it wasn't working well so it disabled it.. can i just install the new updated driver and get it work?
Sure....after the clean install, just make sure you install the appropriate driver for your device.

last question...i replaced one of my HDD with a Kingston SSD 96gb so i can load WIn7 faster and stuff...but kept the other HDD 750gb as a storage...do i need a driver for that? I thought i can just use it as a simple drive?
I don't know of any SSDs that need a separate driver, but some of them need firmware updates. Check the Kingston website to see if yours does. It's best to do that before you do your new install.

No problem asking questions here...that's what the forum is for! :)

XVeno
01-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Well, truth to be told, I don't think you reaaaally should update the BIOS if it's not giving you any problems... No harm done if you do it anyways, just make sure you do it the right way or you will have something a lot worse than a BSOD.

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Well, truth to be told, I don't think you reaaaally should update the BIOS if it's not giving you any problems... No harm done if you do it anyways, just make sure you do it the right way or you will have something a lot worse than a BSOD.

Thanks. will check my version like Brody said and see if I really need to update. If not, will leave it alone. I guess i just needed reassurance..lol *palm-to-face

one last thing before I start heading back home to do this clean install (with knowledge now) The drivers you guys mentioned...should i be getting this from the asus website? or are the links here that X mentioned (Chastity@ASUS and JRd1st ) should i use their links instead? or does it even matter?

thanks guys...i'm so excited to go home and try this out now...I'll read and re-read to MAKE SURE that I do this right this time...:o

XVeno
01-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks. will check my version like Brody said and see if I really need to update. If not, will leave it alone. I guess i just needed reassurance..lol *palm-to-face

one last thing before I start heading back home to do this clean install (with knowledge now) The drivers you guys mentioned...should i be getting this from the asus website? or are the links here that X mentioned (Chastity@ASUS and JRd1st ) should i use their links instead? or does it even matter?

thanks guys...i'm so excited to go home and try this out now...I'll read and re-read to MAKE SURE that I do this right this time...:o

I would use Chastity's and JRd1st's drivers as they're the most accurate right now, the drivers that you find within the CD and the Asus website aren't that updated, to be honest, not to mention that both Chastity and JRd1st have gone through most issues with each and everyone of us, therefore they've handpicked the drivers that work better together..

Last but not least, enjoy your computer, do not let the fact that there's so many "bad" threads about the G74 stop you from enjoying your equipment... Remember the fact that most happy costumers don't seek out forums like these to manifest their joy and excitement. There's no such thing as a perfect system, and the G74 is still recent, so it's only natural that there's so many issues here and there, but that doesnt mean that all of us have them.. Looking back at the G73 release, heck, it even sounds nostalgic!

Just enjoy the massive beast that you have in your possession. :)

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 01:31 AM
The drivers you guys mentioned...should i be getting this from the asus website? or are the links here that X mentioned (Chastity@ASUS and JRd1st ) should i use their links instead? or does it even matter?
Whenever possible, I like to get the latest drivers directly from the device manufacturers.

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 01:57 AM
i will enjoy it! sooo much more now. more then ever! thanks for all the help. both of you guys and everybody on this thread. An I will reply back and even start my own thread on how awesome this rig is once i get it right! the potential this thing has! amazing!!!

X - what are your thoughts on updating Win7? it was part of my process but I just want to see if you guys do that too? just the important updates not the recommends...I was going to do that either before or after i upload the drivers...

...also, when i install the drivers, am I going through device manager and going that route or can i click the links by Chas and J and they will install on their own?...or am I doing the command prompt thing (which i'm not so good at?)

pretty much this is my process...(when i get home.)

1. turn on laptop with win 7 ultimate just freshly installed this morning with nothing else done..no drivers or anything...
2. download LAN driver to get internet working...
3. activate win 7
4. update drivers for laptop
5. update win 7 important updates only
6. check rating for windows..usually 7.1 due to hard drive. SSD? 7.1? whatever....
7. install windows essentials and malware remover
8. install google chrome..

sounds good? any thoughts or advice?? ....6pm almost here...lol

dstrakele
01-07-2012, 02:04 AM
An I will reply back and even start my own thread on how awesome this rig is once i get it right!

Good idea, @reddragun3! Haven't seen one of those around here in a loooong time.... ;>{)>

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 02:12 AM
X - what are your thoughts on updating Win7? it was part of my process but I just want to see if you guys do that too? just the important updates not the recommends...I was going to do that either before or after i upload the drivers...-
Do the updates AFTER you install your drivers. Otherwise, MS Update might be looking for, and trying to install, whatever driver MS has for some devices. Right after I've finsihed installing all basic drivers, I do ALL of the following kinds of important updates:

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KBxxxxxx)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KBxxxxxx)

...also, when i install the drivers, am I going through device manager and going that route or can i click the links by Chas and J and they will install on their own?...or am I doing the command prompt thing (which i'm not so good at?)
All the drivers are either self-installing executables, or have an executable setup program. Just run those.

Just re-read this question and thought I should elaborate. You download the drivers, most often as zip files (but some as executables). You unzip them, and then run the setup installer inside the extracted folder.

1. turn on laptop with win 7 ultimate just freshly installed this morning with nothing else done..no drivers or anything...
2. download LAN driver to get internet working...
3. activate win 7
4. update drivers for laptop
5. update win 7 important updates only
6. check rating for windows..usually 7.1 due to hard drive. SSD? 7.1? whatever....
7. install windows essentials and malware remover
8. install google chrome..

sounds good? any thoughts or advice?? ....6pm almost here...lol
Don't activate until you're all set up and happy with the install. You have thirty days, so there's no hurry.
Install MSE if that's the one you plan to use.....security software installs a lot of stuff, so I avoid installing and uninstalling, etc. They leave remnants. Only install the one you actually plan to use.

Did you buy a copy of Win Ultimate? Or is that what came on your computer?

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 03:05 AM
Did you buy a copy of Win Ultimate? Or is that what came on your computer?

ohh. home now...checking the thread again before i start...

thanks for the all the great detailed info...perfect!! I'll get started soon.

I was given Win 7 Ultimate as a gift from a friend (that friend works for Microsoft) so its a legit copy. should I not use it?? please advise before I start working on it.. I can go back to the win 7 Home premium that my G74 came with. But I thought it would be the same if not better with Ultimate no?

dstrakele
01-07-2012, 03:09 AM
My vote is for you to go with Windows Ultimate. Otherwise, your friend at Microsoft will NEVER let you live it down... ;>{)>

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 03:48 AM
I was given Win 7 Ultimate as a gift from a friend (that friend works for Microsoft) so its a legit copy. should I not use it?? please advise before I start working on it.. I can go back to the win 7 Home premium that my G74 came with. But I thought it would be the same if not better with Ultimate no?
No....I wasn't trying to suggest you shouldn't use it. I just wanted to make sure, if you were upgrading from HP, that you did it without having to pay full retail for a new key.

I would suggest, though, that you wait awhile to activate if what you have is an OEM copy of Windows. (It's likely either a Retail version, or OEM.) You have 30 days, so there's plenty of time. The reason is this: an OEM copy of WIndows, once activated, is forever "wedded" to the machine it's activated on. Even if that machine dies, or develops a problem and its new owner has to exchange it.... I'm just suggesting that you make sure all's good with your G74 before you commit that copy of Windows to it.

Retail versions are movable, so there's not the same risk....but it's probably still a good idea to wait until you're happy and the configuration is stable. Just to make life easier.

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 03:52 AM
ok. thanks for the info...

oh. installed chipest. no problem so far. easy. :)

installing the RST (first one, not mul language one) its asking if i want to install the INtel Control Center? is that important? or should i just install the RST and keep on trucking? thanks

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 03:59 AM
No, don't install it.

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 07:11 AM
installing the ethernet driver...was reading on the multi-card reader driver that would come after ...JRd1sr provides this:

Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader

Driver 6.1.7600.10001

....that's mine right? for the SX?

(update) also saw this under keyboard for JD:

KB Filter 1.003 x64

didn't install it but curious to what it does or if i need it....

almost done... seems to be installing just fine without any issues!! will check device manager for any missing..

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Yeah, that's the card reader driver you want. Don't worry about the KB filter....the one built into Windows works just fine. (A keyboard filter just captures keystrokes and sends them for processing, as needed.)

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 07:43 AM
thanks...ohhhh almost done!!!! i'm sooo excited!!! *** my girlfriends cousin works for kingston and in the hectic frenzy of my blue screen of death episode...i asked him to get me some Hyper x gaming memory (because I thought it was a bad memory module and not the drivers *stupid me) and he brought it today...* free of charge he said. wow..i wanna install it also..but kinda just want to run it as is for now. Never really got to enjoy my laptop as it is....should be a simple swap out later on when i decide to use it! :)

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Intel chipset driver
Intel RST
Intel MEI (Windows Update will eventually install this, if you don't want to do it manually)
Nvidia graphics driver
Realtek Ethernet driver
Realtek multi-card reader driver
Fresco USB driver
Wireless adapter driver
Realtek HD Audio driver
Bluetooth driver (if applicable, if wanted)
Touchpad driver
ATK Package
No Asus bloatware

Thanks for this Brody...I'm follwing it to a "T"

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks for this Brody...I'm follwing it to a "T"
I've done it that way at least a dozen times.....always works great. :)

I think I posted earlier....the very first thing I do after that list is those important Windows updates I mentioned.

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 08:13 AM
OMG!!!! all installed and all of it works great! *tearing up right now* Check device manager...no issues. Gonna install updates for windows...created a restore point after all drivers were installed... ;) will get MSE and malaware stuff... Chrome should be good too. Will update the status after a while of testing...should be good though. BSOD's usually come up after a day of being turned off. But i have high hopes today!! :) thanks everyone. I'll be sure to mention everyone in my separate thread about how awesome this rig & community is! :) :)

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Chrome works beautifully on a nice, clean install. Super fast. (I wish I could customize its interface a bit....it's a little too minimalist for my tastes, but I love its speed!)

One last tip: Once you have the configuration all perfect, make a system image. Having that "perfect, clean installation" as a quick go-to backup is easy insurance if disaster ever strikes.

Sleep easy.....I don't think you'll be seeing any BSODs tomorrow!

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Here's what I did for a clean Windows 7 installation:

9) Installed Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes AntiMalware.

this is next after the updates... thanks dstrakele :)

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Chrome works beautifully on a nice, clean install. Super fast. (I wish I could customize its interface a bit....it's a little too minimalist for my tastes, but I love its speed!)

One last tip: Once you have the configuration all perfect, make a system image. Having that "perfect, clean installation" as a quick go-to backup is easy insurance if disaster ever strikes.

Sleep easy.....I don't think you'll be seeing any BSODs tomorrow!

will do. thanks again for everything. everyone. thanks :)

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 09:10 AM
getting late and GF is getting mad. lol. I will finish up tomorrow morning... Wanna do the system image before I install anything. even the MSE and Malware etc.... and recommendation on what program to use? The Asus disc recovery one gave me a hard time before...any freeware to recommend? will give it a shot in the AM. i wanna turn of the PC and turn on in the morning to a NON- BSOD and smile. lol

*edit/update...oh, i think you meant system image provided by the OS. lol...just found it. :) sry...

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Just use Windows Backup and Restore...it works great. In fact, you can just save an image onto your 2nd HDD, if you have one, and be done in about 15 minutes.

You should burn a system repair disk too, but you can always do that later. (Also in Backup and Restore.)

XVeno
01-07-2012, 09:28 AM
If he was sticking by with Win7HP, he wouldnt have any issues regarding activation, since he has the code for his machine on the back part of his computer.

What differs so much about HP and Ultimate?

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 09:41 AM
What differs so much about HP and Ultimate?
Ultimate adds some features meant mostly for enterprise environments (in fact, it's the home-user retail version of Windows Enterprise)....specifically, multi-language support and BitLocker drive encryption. That's on top of Windows Pro...the edition between them. Pro includes a few features like backup over a network, Remote Desktop, and the ability to run in XP mode.

XVeno
01-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Ultimate adds some features meant mostly for enterprise environments (in fact, it's the home-user retail version of Windows Enterprise)....specifically, multi-language support and BitLocker drive encryption. That's on top of Windows Pro...the edition between them. Pro includes a few features like backup over a network, Remote Desktop, and the ability to run in XP mode.

Well but the real question is, do we really need all of those extra features? :p

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 09:55 AM
No....I don't think most owners would. But, to each his own. :)

XVeno
01-07-2012, 10:14 AM
In the meanwhile, I ran across a nice little software called Iobit Uninstaller that, as far as i'm concerned, it uninstalls everything successfully and it can search the registry for remnants of that same software, so perhaps, for users that don't want to clean install windows, wouldn't it be a good solution?

I'll leave the link here (http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html).

What do you guys think about this?

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 10:25 AM
I haven't heard of that one, but yes, I think those kinds of programs, as long as they are easy to use, are a good solution for owners who are wary of doing a clean install.

It's easy to forget around here, where we routinely talk about drivers and clean installs and whatnot, that there are a lot of owners out there who have NO interest in, and NO knowledge about, any of this stuff. They buy a computer and they just want to use it....they shouldn't have to become techs to be able todo that.

If a program like that can help them clean things up, stabilize their system, and get on with their lives, it's probably just what they need.

XVeno
01-07-2012, 10:35 AM
I haven't heard of that one, but yes, I think those kinds of programs, as long as they are easy to use, are a good solution for owners who are wary of doing a clean install.

It's easy to forget around here, where we routinely talk about drivers and clean installs and whatnot, that there are a lot of owners out there who have NO interest in, and NO knowledge about, any of this stuff. They buy a computer and they just want to use it....they shouldn't have to become techs to be able todo that.

If a program like that can help them clean things up, stabilize their system, and get on with their lives, it's probably just what they need.

My thoughts exactly, as I completely agree with you on that, there are a lot of users that just dont want to go through the process of doing a Clean Install. Despite the benefits, sometimes, the knowledge regarding such issues does not make up for it, so they'll just go the easy way, uninstalling the bloatware that's arranging conflicts.
Who can blame them?

Anyways, I'll install it and remove some stuff on my computer, doing both simple and advanced uninstall, and then I'll post my feedback on it.

XVeno
01-07-2012, 11:29 AM
So, I've tested Iobit Uninstaller (http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html) and I must stay: it IS good!

After selecting some software to uninstall (some of those, bloatware from my asus as well), Iobit Uninstaller will uninstall it through the normal procedure, as Add/Remove Programs would do.
The magic happens afterwards, as the program will look for remnants in both registry and the hard drive, completely deleting everything related to the program you're looking to uninstall. (I forgot to mention that it also does a recovery point before the uninstalling process in case something goes wrong)

After uninstalling the things I wanted to uninstall, I noticed my computer running even smoother, and software such as Asus Web Storage and many others left my system without a trace behind... It is like they've never been installed in my system.

Kudos, Iobit!

PILGRIM
01-07-2012, 12:10 PM
So, I've tested Iobit Uninstaller (http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html) and I must stay: it IS good!

+1
I've been using IObit uninstaller (hand-in-hand with CCleaner) since last year, for my program un-installation and registry clean-up. The IObit uninstaller can even do "forced uninstall" of pesky/sticky unwanted programs.

But it would be much better to have the "all-in-one" tool, Advanced SystemCare 5, since this tool has the IObit uninstaller plus a lot, lot more. I usually download these "help programs" from MajorGeeks. (http://www.majorgeeks.com/)

XVeno
01-07-2012, 01:23 PM
+1
I've been using IObit uninstaller (hand-in-hand with CCleaner) since last year, for my program un-installation and registry clean-up. The IObit uninstaller can even do "forced uninstall" of pesky/sticky unwanted programs.

But it would be much better to have the "all-in-one" tool, Advanced SystemCare 5, since this tool has the IObit uninstaller plus a lot, lot more. I usually download these "help programs" from MajorGeeks. (http://www.majorgeeks.com/)

Yes, I've been using ASC 5 for quite some time, and it really boosts up my performance and the overall security of my system, it is a very, very complete program, and it actually behaves quite well... One more good thing about it, is the interface, which doesnt feel too rigid, being instead quite user-friendly.

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Yes, I've been using ASC 5 for quite some time, and it really boosts up my performance and the overall security of my system, it is a very, very complete program, and it actually behaves quite well... One more good thing about it, is the interface, which doesnt feel too rigid, being instead quite user-friendly.

that sounds promising...ASC 5. Freeware? I'm sure I anyone would appreciate the level of proficiency that program goes into when uninstalling other programs from your computer. I will definitely look into that as well as other "helpful" programs that I can install to keep my laptop stable and protected. I know I just recently did a clean install and I going to be veeeeerrrryy picky on what I install from now on. I doubt I would accidentally install something that I don't want..but maybe something might conflict or cause issues...so ya...i guess i can use this now. :)

I would like to clone my drive first on the "now exteral drive" that my SSD replaced in my SX. I would almost want to clone my current drive every time before I install a new program. I know that sounds anal but i'm kinda like that. Inefficient, but trying to keep my peace of mind. Any recommendations on a good free drive cloning device. I think I have an old copy of norton ghost??? But I'm kind of weary on old programs on my newly revamped rig. The Kingston SSD that I got did come with a drive cloning program...I wonder if I can use that in a reverse manner and clone my current SSD to the external SATA 750. hmmm

Also, are there any "must have" programs that I should install mainly to just keep my rig clean and running proficiently? ASC 5 for one sounds good. the list that JD provided sounds good also, but I don't overclock so most of it doesn't apply. I already installed MSE and Malwarebytes like dstrakele said he did...anything else comes to mind or is there a thread already on this subject. Sorry if so...

JD's list:

7-Zip

New ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) - Info Just may save you a call to Microsoft. Be sure to download the Beta version.

CCleaner (Wait for the "Slim Build" or D/L the Installer version but don't forget to uncheck the toolbar option!!)

CPU-Z RoG 1.59 - Monitor CPU info with RoG skin

EaseUs Partition Master Home - is a ALL-IN-ONE partition solution and disk management freeware.

DPC Latency Checker - Very useful for troubleshooting lag or media dropouts

Driver Sweeper - Latest Version

GPU Tweak 0.7.2.0 - Warning ; reported to be buggy. I think this is a beta version

HWInfo64 - Temperature Monitoring

Intel SSD Toolbox 3.0.1 - info

Media Player Classic Home Cinema

Notepad++ - Open Source source code editor and Notepad replacement

Partition Wizard Home - freeware partition manager. Allows copying (cloning) a partition to the same sized disk (must be rezized before copy operation begin). Also comes in bootable ISO version which has no limitations! .

Throttle Stop - Latest Version

Ubuntu 11.10 Bootable ISO - If you have a suspected hardware problem that doesn't involve playing games or using Skype etc, burn this iso and boot from it. Do you still have the problem? If yes, then hardware, else maybe Windows/drivers. Be sure to download the 64-bit ISO!

Volumouse - to dim display without causing flickering (Read THIS Post)

**** i could install ccleaner, cpu-z and the driver sweeper one...but would i still need ccleaner with the ASC 5. might be redundant? or not? not sure..

XVeno
01-07-2012, 06:12 PM
that sounds promising...ASC 5. Freeware? I'm sure I anyone would appreciate the level of proficiency that program goes into when uninstalling other programs from your computer. I will definitely look into that as well as other "helpful" programs that I can install to keep my laptop stable and protected. I know I just recently did a clean install and I going to be veeeeerrrryy picky on what I install from now on. I doubt I would accidentally install something that I don't want..but maybe something might conflict or cause issues...so ya...i guess i can use this now. :)

I would like to clone my drive first on the "now exteral drive" that my SSD replaced in my SX. I would almost want to clone my current drive every time before I install a new program. I know that sounds anal but i'm kinda like that. Inefficient, but trying to keep my peace of mind. Any recommendations on a good free drive cloning device. I think I have an old copy of norton ghost??? But I'm kind of weary on old programs on my newly revamped rig. The Kingston SSD that I got did come with a drive cloning program...I wonder if I can use that in a reverse manner and clone my current SSD to the external SATA 750. hmmm

Also, are there any "must have" programs that I should install mainly to just keep my rig clean and running proficiently? ASC 5 for one sounds good. the list that JD provided sounds good also, but I don't overclock so most of it doesn't apply. I already installed MSE and Malwarebytes like dstrakele said he did...anything else comes to mind or is there a thread already on this subject. Sorry if so...

JD's list:

7-Zip

New ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) - Info Just may save you a call to Microsoft. Be sure to download the Beta version.

CCleaner (Wait for the "Slim Build" or D/L the Installer version but don't forget to uncheck the toolbar option!!)

CPU-Z RoG 1.59 - Monitor CPU info with RoG skin

EaseUs Partition Master Home - is a ALL-IN-ONE partition solution and disk management freeware.

DPC Latency Checker - Very useful for troubleshooting lag or media dropouts

Driver Sweeper - Latest Version

GPU Tweak 0.7.2.0 - Warning ; reported to be buggy. I think this is a beta version

HWInfo64 - Temperature Monitoring

Intel SSD Toolbox 3.0.1 - info

Media Player Classic Home Cinema

Notepad++ - Open Source source code editor and Notepad replacement

Partition Wizard Home - freeware partition manager. Allows copying (cloning) a partition to the same sized disk (must be rezized before copy operation begin). Also comes in bootable ISO version which has no limitations! .

Throttle Stop - Latest Version

Ubuntu 11.10 Bootable ISO - If you have a suspected hardware problem that doesn't involve playing games or using Skype etc, burn this iso and boot from it. Do you still have the problem? If yes, then hardware, else maybe Windows/drivers. Be sure to download the 64-bit ISO!

Volumouse - to dim display without causing flickering (Read THIS Post)

**** i could install ccleaner, cpu-z and the driver sweeper one...but would i still need ccleaner with the ASC 5. might be redundant? or not? not sure..

I knew there was one freeware you could use but I'm not remembering it as of the moment, will update the thread as soon as I find it again.

As for what you install in your new rig, I agree with you and I can say the same about me... As for the antivirus, I'm not sure whether I should install Kaspersky AV 2012 or not, as I'm quite skeptical about its performance, and I also know that it loads the computer quite a bit, making it considerably slow.
What are your current opinions about KAS2012 on the G74?

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 08:21 PM
I would like to clone my drive first on the "now exteral drive" that my SSD replaced in my SX.
Can you elaborate a bit? Do you mean your original OEM system drive? I'm just not sure what you want to do.

I would almost want to clone my current drive every time before I install a new program. I know that sounds anal but i'm kinda like that. Inefficient, but trying to keep my peace of mind. Any recommendations on a good free drive cloning device. I think I have an old copy of norton ghost??? But I'm kind of weary on old programs on my newly revamped rig. The Kingston SSD that I got did come with a drive cloning program...I wonder if I can use that in a reverse manner and clone my current SSD to the external SATA 750. hmmm
The obvious option is WIndows itself.....you could certainly image your system drive as often as you like, but it would be tedious to do that (at 15-20 minutes a pop) before every single new driver or program installation.

In most cases, just letting Windows create a restore point is sufficient. There are some "windows tweaks" kind of blogs that recommend disabling Windows System Restore function, supposedly to eek out an extra iota of performance. I think that's a bad idea. (I've seen so many people get their system all messed up in ways they don't know how to fix...usually a bad driver or program install...and simply reverting to a pre-mess restore point would fix the problem. But they had turned it off, and they end up having to resort to far more aggressive repair measures.)

If you do want a 3rd-party imaging program, you want something super-reliable...you don't want to go cheap if you're entrusting your system backup to it. I use Acronis True Image to create a fresh image every week on my systems, and to make all sorts of other data backups. I've found it to be a very reliable, easy-to-use program, and on sale, it costs about $29, I think.

I think JR just lists all those extra utilities as a convenience for users who have asked for them. He can weigh in, of course, but I don't believe he posts them as a recommendation.

XVeno
01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Can you elaborate a bit? Do you mean your original OEM system drive? I'm just not sure what you want to do.

The obvious option is WIndows itself.....you could certainly image your system drive as often as you like, but it would be tedious to do that (at 15-20 minutes a pop) before every single new driver or program installation.

In most cases, just letting Windows create a restore point is sufficient. There are some "windows tweaks" kind of blogs that recommend disabling Windows System Restore function, supposedly to eek out an extra iota of performance. I think that's a bad idea. (I've seen so many people get their system all messed up in ways they don't know how to fix...usually a bad driver or program install...and simply reverting to a pre-mess restore point would fix the problem. But they had turned it off, and they end up having to resort to far more aggressive repair measures.)

If you do want a 3rd-party imaging program, you want something super-reliable...you don't want to go cheap if you're entrusting your system backup to it. I use Acronis True Image to create a fresh image every week on my systems, and to make all sorts of other data backups. I've found it to be a very reliable, easy-to-use program, and on sale, it costs about $29, I think.

I think JR just lists all those extra utilities as a convenience for users who have asked for them. He can weigh in, of course, but I don't believe he posts them as a recommendation.

Can you also, let's say, update the recovery partition with that? I mean, make your own image and throw it into the partition? So everytime you do a system recovery, it'll actually install your windows version, not the OEM version?

If so, can you explain the procedure?

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Can you also, let's say, update the recovery partition with that? I mean, make your own image and throw it into the partition? So everytime you do a system recovery, it'll actually install your windows version, not the OEM version?

If so, can you explain the procedure?
No, the Asus recovery partition is a complex set of installers and scripts that can ONLY be used to reconstruct the Asus OEM installation. You can't alter it at all.

What you CAN do is create a new "recovery partition" of your own. On your 2nd HDD, for example, you could create a ~50Gb partition, label it "Recovery" or whatever, and save your system image there. You wouldn't have the handy F9 restore method, of course, but you could use it to restore your system drive at any time, even when your system is so FUBAR you can't even boot into Windows.

That image would be a Windows-created version, or an aftermarket option, like Acronis.

XVeno
01-07-2012, 09:15 PM
No, the Asus recovery partition is a complex set of installers and scripts that can ONLY be used to reconstruct the Asus OEM installation. You can't alter it at all.

What you CAN do is create a new "recovery partition" of your own. On your 2nd HDD, for example, you could create a ~50Gb partition, label it "Recovery" or whatever, and save your system image there. You wouldn't have the handy F9 restore method, of course, but you could use it to restore your system drive at any time, even when your system is so FUBAR you can't even boot into Windows.

That image would be a Windows-created version, or an aftermarket option, like Acronis.

Well, if it works like that then I guess that a DVD image created by you with Acronis would be somewhat better no?

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 09:52 PM
oh no guys.....BSOD on start up again.. *&%^$!!!! it all to hell!!! :( *i feel so defeated...i really can't shake this can i? i turned the computer off after installing some programs, nothing old, all from the web (vlc, skype, teamviewer, ACS5, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, MSE, WoW and Curse Client) and i go wash my car and do misc things around the house. I come back and turn it on and as the desktop shows and I'm about to start working on it. BAM! BSOD. same story like last time?? what could it possibly be??? i'm so confused now. Unless I did something wrong with the install? or one of the things I installed is causing the computer to crash on startup? How can i figure it out? Would I be able to link my minidump files here and someone might be able to point me in the right direction???? :(

- i almost feel like i have to install everything one at a time and wait a day to see if it crashes. I can't figure out what specific thing is doing it??

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 10:04 PM
here is the link anyway (desperate) :

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=cd042a05d35068ec&resid=CD042A05D35068EC!114&parid=root

i really think it might be one of the drivers, not sure which one, but is there a way i can check all of them at once? like one of those driver checking programs? not sure which one... but i thought i saw one on JD or Chastity's links...

also is my ram back into question now since all my drivers were from here? ugggghhh :(

sorry to bother you guys again..but please help me solve this crazy ongoing issue... :(

XVeno
01-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Maybe you really should check your RAM, or try and do it all over again, but probably the issue is being caused by a corrupted driver, try re-downloading all drivers from JD and Chastity's threads, and get back to us as soon as you're done.

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Well, if it works like that then I guess that a DVD image created by you with Acronis would be somewhat better no?
I think there are a few disadvantages to using DVDs over internal, on-disk images:

It's much faster....both making the image, and restoring the image.
You would need several DVDs (probably 5-6) as the image is much bigger than one disc could hold. Messy. ;)
Making and restoring images on optical media is a little less reliable. (You introduce the potential for "picky-media" issues, i.e., sometimes one brand works and another doesn't, etc.) It could be disastrous to discover that your disks don't work, just when you need them the most.
There's also just the fact that it's an external copy that you need store somewhere for safekeeping, and then find it, perhaps months down the line. I can barely find my keys if I haven't used them in the past 24 hrs!.....so I like the idea of having it with the computer all the time.
It's much easier to update your image whenever you want. You can just replace the image, rather than burn a whole new set of disks.

But that's all just my reasoning and preference. I'm sure plenty of people make DVD backups, too.

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 10:19 PM
oh no guys.....BSOD on start up again.. *&%^$!!!! it all to hell!!! :( *i feel so defeated...i really can't shake this can i? i turned the computer off after installing some programs, nothing old, all from the web (vlc, skype, teamviewer, ACS5, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, MSE, WoW and Curse Client) and i go wash my car and do misc things around the house. I come back and turn it on and as the desktop shows and I'm about to start working on it. BAM! BSOD. same story like last time?? what could it possibly be??? i'm so confused now. Unless I did something wrong with the install? or one of the things I installed is causing the computer to crash on startup? How can i figure it out? Would I be able to link my minidump files here and someone might be able to point me in the right direction???? :(

- i almost feel like i have to install everything one at a time and wait a day to see if it crashes. I can't figure out what specific thing is doing it??

I agree that you should check your RAM. Take each module out and re-seat them. Then run some memory diagnostics.

Beyond that, I would uninstall those programs, clean up their remnants, and then install more slowly. I.e., Install VLC and use it for a day before installing something else. Give Skype a lot of time to ensure that it's not experiencing issues...that one can be picky. Same with big online games. The point is to evaluate these things one at a time.

I doubt that it's a driver, if you installed the known good ones. It's much more likely a RAM issue, or one of those programs. You can go into Event Viewer and see what was happening when the crash occurred, to see if a specific program is implicated.

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Maybe you really should check your RAM, or try and do it all over again, but probably the issue is being caused by a corrupted driver, try re-downloading all drivers from JD and Chastity's threads, and get back to us as soon as you're done.
I actually don't recommend anything in Chastity's thread, because it isn't updated reliably anymore. Many links are dead, and though some drivers/programs may be current, other aren't, so if you rely on those sources, you probably won't know what is and isn't the optimal choice.

================================

@ reddragun3: If you end up doing another clean install, shoot me a PM and we'll review a few things, just to "standardize" your drivers and procedures. I think the chances are that your install was just fine, and unless it's really messed up by subsequent programs you installed, you shouldn't need to do it again.

ANother option: If you created an image before you installed all those programs, you can just restore it. Then use that clean set-up for a day or two. If there are no BSODs, you can probably conclude it's one of your programs. If there are BSODs, it's your hardware or an incorrect driver.

dstrakele
01-07-2012, 10:43 PM

Look in the System Event Log for the BugCheck source event and report it here. Knowing the Bug Check Code and parameters associated with the BSOD will help us research it further.

At the moment, I am suspicious of the TeamViewer app you installed.

Please confirm if you actually shut down the laptop or simply put it to sleep or hibernate.

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Good ideas, Drew.

@reddragun3, I just went back and re-read some of your earlier posts....I had forgotten that you are using a Kingston SSD.

It wasn't clear to me exactly when your BSODs started. Could you give a brief history: when you got the machine, when you added the SSD, and whne the BSODs started?

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Wow, Thanks for all the replies guys. It really means a lot to me. I'm going to try to answer everyone to the best of my knowledge in the order it was posted...give me a sec to get this organized....

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 11:20 PM
You don't need to respond to me or my posts in any particular order...I don't think anybody keeps track of these things, so just approach all the questions in a way that makes the most sense to you.

As regards my posts.....you can pretty much disregard my first response, as I'm more suspicious of your SSD at this point.

Kaitlyn
01-07-2012, 11:21 PM
I just got a new g74 and want to do a clean install to a new SSD. Where does one go about getting a (safe) windows ISO? I don't exactly want to trust The Pirate Bay if you catch me.

dstrakele
01-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Hi Kaitlyn - The OP of the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread has a link to a valid Win 7 Home Premium ISO file. There is a lot of other stuff you'll find useful there.

Kaitlyn
01-07-2012, 11:38 PM
are you refering to this (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference)thread?

I was hoping there was somewhere else, I'm downloading that but it is sitting at 85 kb/s and I'm looking at 8 hours.

dstrakele
01-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Negative - http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 11:46 PM

I'll do that! One memory stick at a time to test if its failing. I'll make a list of things to do going from easiest and less intrusive to doing it all over again. :( . It really seems like this is one of my only choices, although i have thrown some variables in there like the programs installed after. I should of let it sit a while after the Driver update and the win 7 update. Sit for a couple of hours and see. Then that would of narrowed the choices of what is failing huh....might have to do that this time around..

I agree that you should check your RAM. Take each module out and re-seat them. Then run some memory diagnostics.

Beyond that, I would uninstall those programs, clean up their remnants, and then install more slowly. I.e., Install VLC and use it for a day before installing something else. Give Skype a lot of time to ensure that it's not experiencing issues...that one can be picky. Same with big online games. The point is to evaluate these things one at a time.

I doubt that it's a driver, if you installed the known good ones. It's much more likely a RAM issue, or one of those programs. You can go into Event Viewer and see what was happening when the crash occurred, to see if a specific program is implicated.

you're right Brody and XVeno too. I know I should of done this last night but got too excited and wanted to have my rig ready to go in the am to play some games... THIS TIME for sure I'll install one at a time and let it sit and wait to see if there are any issues. My question for that is...why do I have to shut my ROG down and wait a bit (2-5hrs sometimes a day) then turn it on to see the BSOD. It doesn't happen when I keep it on for a while or use it to play games. I've play for 8-10hrs straight sometimes with no issue. One day of rest and BSOD on startup??? really confused to what is causing this unique failure.

@ reddragun3: If you end up doing another clean install, shoot me a PM and we'll review a few things, just to "standardize" your drivers and procedures. I think the chances are that your install was just fine, and unless it's really messed up by subsequent programs you installed, you shouldn't need to do it again.

ANother option: If you created an image before you installed all those programs, you can just restore it. Then use that clean set-up for a day or two. If there are no BSODs, you can probably conclude it's one of your programs. If there are BSODs, it's your hardware or an incorrect driver.

@BrodyBoy - ok will PM you if I do a clean install. But I really don't want to. I will if i have to but i kinda want to try the smalls things first e.g. uninstall certain programs that might be the issue using ASC 5...which is awesome btw. Thanks.

I did create an image before I installed any program. It was right after my updated Drivers and Win 7 Important Updates only. So it was like 8-9 programs back. Wow being the one that took all night to install.

So would you guys recommend for time and sanity...I

1st, do the re-seating of memory. will i see immediate results or crashes or do i have to let it sit again and turn on later???

2nd delete some pesky programs e.g. teamviewer, skype, VLC etc..and shutdown/wait/turn on later since this would be the fastest and easiest test.

3rd - use my image restoration and put it back to just the drivers from JD and the Win 7 important updates...THENNNN let it sit again and turn on later to see if it BSOD's. If so

4th, I would PM BrodyBoy to find out if it was user error in installing the drivers and such. * pheww..that's a lot.

Look in the System Event Log for the BugCheck source event and report it here. Knowing the Bug Check Code and parameters associated with the BSOD will help us research it further.

At the moment, I am suspicious of the TeamViewer app you installed.

Please confirm if you actually shut down the laptop or simply put it to sleep or hibernate.

ok. it recorded the dump at 1:39:15...the description at that time and after state this (nothing before because it was shut off completely, not sleeping or hibernating..

1:39:15 / Kernel Event Tracing / session "microsoft security client OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D
1:39:22 Bug Check / ~basically says rebooted and dump was save..<- i dont think you care for this..
1:39:25 Application error / Faulting application name: svchost.exe_NlaSvc, version 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp, 0x4a5bc3c1
Faulting module name: nlasvc.dll, version 6.1.7600.16385; time stamp: 0x4abdfca
etc... it goes on for more info...do you need this?? let me know..working from my mac and not using the ROG in case it blue screens while i type...

** i uninstalled teamviewer and will turn my rig off and back on later to see if it was it (step 2) ...then maybe if it still does it, I will start with step 1 (memory re-seating)

Kaitlyn
01-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Negative - http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s

2987 kb/s little faster :)

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 11:56 PM
I did create an image before I installed any program. It was right after my updated Drivers and Win 7 Important Updates only. So it was like 8-9 programs back. Wow being the one that took all night to install.

So would you guys recommend for time and sanity...I

1st, do the re-seating of memory. will i see immediate results or crashes or do i have to let it sit again and turn on later???

2nd delete some pesky programs e.g. teamviewer, skype, VLC etc..and shutdown/wait/turn on later since this would be the fastest and easiest test.
If you made that system inage, I would just restore it and go back to that point now.

I think running the computer without the installed programs, to diagnose the source of the BSODs, is the priority, and that's the fastest way to get there.

reddragun3
01-07-2012, 11:59 PM
You don't need to respond to me or my posts in any particular order...I don't think anybody keeps track of these things, so just approach all the questions in a way that makes the most sense to you.

As regards my posts.....you can pretty much disregard my first response, as I'm more suspicious of your SSD at this point.

Do you really think it my SSD? but I was having the same issues before it? wouldn't that make it something else that was on the computer that's not new? memory, motherboard, processor, etc...

As for a brief history, I bought it direct from Asus through a friend that works for Kingston. I got it before it was on sale to the public. I can't remember when I was getting the BSOD's because I've been dealing with it for so long, I forgot how it started. I would just keep my laptop on for day and days with the lid UP without any issues...then it would BSOD when i turned it off to rest it and back on the next day. same story...

I RMA this laptop once because of the Blue screening and the fact that Asus Recovery Program wasn't working and I couldn't make back-ups of my back then newly opened system. So issues from the start I guess. Just recently, 2 nights ago, is when I installed the SSD and replaced one of the HDD...thinking it was a corrupt HDD that was causing it. I've done repairs, memtest and installs on the old HDD and now I've done the same thing for the new SDD. but this time with up-to-date drivers from JD.

I'll try to uninstall some programs and work my way back while i wait for your reply(s) I can re-seat memory also..then maybe a PM if needed to you..but will I end up just returning this for a completely new one?? maybe to save time and effort...but i really hate to give up on something that probably could be fixed with a little know how and a strong community backing it up. :) let me know. thanks in advanced guys...

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 12:07 AM
If you made that system inage, I would just restore it and go back to that point now.

I think running the computer without the installed programs, to diagnose the source of the BSODs, is the priority, and that's the fastest way to get there.

ok...doing that now. Can i speed up the "wait a day" process by unplugging the power cord and taking out the battery? wait a minute for a complete stop of laptop...then plug it all back and turn it on...Or do i really have to wait a couple of hours????

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Do you really think it my SSD? but I was having the same issues before it? wouldn't that make it something else that was on the computer that's not new? memory, motherboard, processor, etc...[
Probably not, if the issues long preceded the SSD install.

As for a brief history, I bought it direct from Asus through a friend that works for Kingston. I got it before it was on sale to the public.
Would you go so far as to call it a pre-production model?

..but will I end up just returning this for a completely new one??
Do you still have that option to return it? Honestly, I would. It's obviously a very early build, and it's had lots of problems. If it were me, I'd suspect an early bug since fixed in the production models.

If you can exchange it for a more recent build, go for it.

dstrakele
01-08-2012, 12:24 AM
I was looking for the BugCheck source event in the System Event Log. Here is an example: http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1001&eventno=10737&source=BugCheck&phase=1

The Bug Check Code and 4 parameters in the "Description" section will help troubleshoot the BSOD.

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Probably not, if the issues long preceded the SSD install.

Would you go so far as to call it a pre-production model?

Do you still have that option to return it? Honestly, I would. It's obviously a very early build, and it's had lots of problems. If it were me, I'd suspect an early bug since fixed in the production models.

If you can exchange it for a more recent build, go for it.

I wouldn't call it a pre-production model but definitely an earlier build... I obtained it about 1-2 months before it was made public...that might be it huh? am i an early-early-adopter? lol.

I'll look into seeing if i can get a replacement for it. preferable not a new "used" one but a new *new* one. lol

I'm doing the system image restoring as I type and will see if this still gives me issues, then i might just talk to my friend to see if it can be returned...

it would be kinda weird, but my Kingston Friend bought it for me though his connection at Asus...so i guess I'm gonna just have that weird conversation with him about returning it for a new one (*akward since i got it a an industry insider price) but gotta do what I gotta do. Still paid over $1,400 for it but its acting like a $10 POS (only when turned off then on) lol

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 12:31 AM
I was looking for the BugCheck source event in the System Event Log. Here is an example: http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1001&eventno=10737&source=BugCheck&phase=1

The Bug Check Code and parameters in the "Description" section will help troubleshoot the BSOD.

darn it...sorry. I did a restore form the system image per Brody's instruction.. I doubt that it will still be there..but i'll check..brb..

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Also not sure if anyone answered one of my previous questions about the re-seating of memory. If the system image back still doesn't work, and I do the memory stick test....will the results (BSOD) be immediate? will it blue screen right away? or do I have to wait again???

XVeno
01-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Also not sure if anyone answered one of my previous questions about the re-seating of memory. If the system image back still doesn't work, and I do the memory stick test....will the results (BSOD) be immediate? will it blue screen right away? or do I have to wait again???

Probably it'll BSOD right away if there's not enough RAM to let it work properly...

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 02:19 AM

The Bug Check Code and 4 parameters in the "Description" section will help troubleshoot the BSOD.

ok...with nothing but drivers and win 7 with updates...it BSOD'd again when i booted up.. here is the description I think you were looking for: please correct me if I'm wrong..:

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-01-08T02:10:38.526405300Z

EventRecordID 3271

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer reddragun3-G74

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 36
BugcheckParameter1 0x1904fb
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff8800a540848
BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff8800a5400b0
BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff880016fe1b6
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

**this was for the bug check one right after the critical error. is this what you were looking for? do you want to screen cap for a better view?

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 02:27 AM
here are the screen caps of the event viewer that shows the errors/bug check and critical error. hope it helps. :(

here (https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=cd042a05d35068ec&resid=CD042A05D35068EC!126&parid=root)

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 02:34 AM
I'm gonna ask something crazy here...total guess...but when it says that "sleep: flase" or something of that nature in the error report...does that have ANNNNYYYthing to do with me going in to my power settings and not letting it sleep or hibernate and setting it to ALWAYS stay on. All settings are set to NEVER sleep, never hibernate...when i close lid...NEVER dim screen...etc..I thought we all do this? isn't it bad for the disc to always turn on and off...please don't tell me its this...that would be a huge *palm to face moment...

this part:

BugcheckCode 36
BugcheckParameter1 0x1904fb
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff8800a540848
BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff8800a5400b0
BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff880016fe1b6
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

is it because I messed with my power settings????

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 02:37 AM
Do you still have MSE running? What security software did you use before doing all the clean installs?

dstrakele
01-08-2012, 02:45 AM
It looks like a STOP 0x36 DEVICE_REFERENCE_COUNT_NOT_ZERO - possibly a device driver error (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff557496(v=VS.85).aspx). However, sometimes memory corruption can make a driver a victim rather than the cause.

I don't believe you've acquired a virus so early in the game. The article also suggests checking the HDD. I'm uncertain what you should do with your SSD (but Brody'll know).

Here's another guy in the same boat (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/blue-screen-stop-0x36/c53ca3a2-08f9-482d-8952-208144d4a226). Unfortunately, he only got a generic answer from Microsoft. This does not appear to be a common error.

I've also configured my system not to sleep or hibernate and have encountered no issues. In my way of thinkin', this config is a better way to AVOID issues!

You reported you got some new memory from a friend. I'd take out your orignal memory and put the new memory in, then test for a BSOD.

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Do you still have MSE running? What security software did you use before doing all the clean installs?

MSE... i started using that instead of AVG...and sometimes I would get errors or issues saying that MSE did not load or caused an issue...you just reminded me wayyyyy back in the beginning... could it be that... i dont think i had BSOD's when I was using AVG...but when i switched over to MSE....i started having some issues once in a while but I didn't think it was MSE because I thought it would work perfectly with Win 7!!! shouldn't it??? since they are the same company and all...

btw: testing the memory stick right now also...posting from mac. <- witch doesn't Blue screen on me (bitter remark)

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 02:52 AM
It looks like a device driver error (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff557496(v=vs.85).aspx). However, sometimes memory corruption can make a driver a victim rather than the cause.

I don't believe you've acquired a virus so early in the game. The article also suggests checking the HDD. I'm uncertain what you should do with your SSD (but Brody'll know).

Here's another guy in the same boat (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/blue-screen-stop-0x36/c53ca3a2-08f9-482d-8952-208144d4a226). Unfortunately, he only got a generic answer from Microsoft.

I've also configured my system not to sleep or hibernate and have encountered no issues.

wow...that sucks...lol...i posted there just now in hopes of that guy replying back with an answer. :( prolly not huh..

anyways... glad to know its not the power setting thats an issue...

not only did i check my HDD when it was installed, i switch it out with a clean new SDD and still got the Blue screen. :(

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 02:52 AM
When I researched your error a bit (sorry I'm not too focused.... watching football today!), MSE did indeed come up. It has some sort of conflict with Update or something that causes BSODs.

Obviously, we don't yet know if that's the problem, but I'd eliminate it.

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 03:02 AM
When I researched your error a bit (sorry I'm not too focused.... watching football today!), MSE did indeed come up. It has some sort of conflict with Update or something that causes BSODs.

Obviously, we don't yet know if that's the problem, but I'd eliminate it.

sorry to bother you guys soooo much. i really appreciate all the help you have provided. thank you in aiding my if fixing this ongoing bsod issue.
MSE will not be installed in ANY of my computers from now on. AVG or some other freeware... I knew i shouldn't have glazed over the minor issues that MSE was giving me before. Just because the company that makes my OS makes that program, doesn't make it flawless...go figure...

dstrakele
01-08-2012, 03:04 AM
MSE... i started using that instead of AVG...and sometimes I would get errors or issues saying that MSE did not load or caused an issue...you just reminded me wayyyyy back in the beginning... could it be that... i dont think i had BSOD's when I was using AVG...but when i switched over to MSE....i started having some issues once in a while but I didn't think it was MSE because I thought it would work perfectly with Win 7!!! shouldn't it??? since they are the same company and all...

btw: testing the memory stick right now also...posting from mac. <- witch doesn't Blue screen on me (bitter remark)

I've run MSE for 4 months without issue, both on the ASUS Bloatware OS and on my clean Win 7 instance. I typically have a scheduled full scan of my entire system run every day in the background when I'm working (could never do anything like that on my old laptop!). It has never caused a problem and I can't even detect a performance hit when it's running.

I do get an error on every startup in the System Event Log stating "Microsoft Antimalware has encountered an error trying to update signatures", but I've had no trouble updating signatures manually. I believe this error is generated every time I see a new signature in Windows Update and install it successfully. I believe this error is bogus.

Perhaps a problem is created if Windows Update automatically tries to install a new antimalware definitions file on startup. If you have Windows Update configured to automatically install updates, try switching it to allow you to choose when to download and install updates. That's how I have it configured.

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 03:08 AM
At this point...i'm desparate to try anything. Since AVG gave me no problems...I'll just stick with that until I can figure out this Blue screen issue. But I do like MSE, I just can't afford it messing me up...

running on 4gb...time to test out the another stick..

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 03:10 AM
sorry to bother you guys soooo much. i really appreciate all the help you have provided. thank you in aiding my if fixing this ongoing bsod issue.
MSE will not be installed in ANY of my computers from now on. AVG or some other freeware... I knew i shouldn't have glazed over the minor issues that MSE was giving me before. Just because the company that makes my OS makes that program, doesn't make it flawless...go figure...
It's not a bother....everybody here is here by choice! :)

I'll be VERY interested to see if MSE is the culprit here. I've been using it in a "test" platform lately. I've been impressed with how "lightweight" it is, but in reading more and more about it, I don't think I would use it as my regular security program just yet. Aside from this issue, if it still exists, it apparently lags the established programs in predictive protection ("heuristics," as they like to call it). That seems like a significant vulnerability to me.

dstrakele
01-08-2012, 03:18 AM
So you're going back to AVG? Check out this thread: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic174946.html

You were getting these BSOD's on startup before you did the clean install and ran MSE - isn't that correct?

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 03:22 AM
You were getting these BSOD's on startup before you did the clean install and ran MSE - isn't that correct?
But he's been running MSE for a few months.....and doesn't recall these issues before the switch.

dstrakele
01-08-2012, 03:24 AM
In that case, I stand corrected.

However, in my google hits for keywords "MSE BSOD on Startup" the threads are typically recommending removing some other Antivirus and installing MSE. Here's an example: http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/75308-random-crashes-startup-starting-game-once-fully-random.html

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 03:29 AM
In that case, I stand corrected.
I think it's too soon to conclude anything yet, but process-of-elimination troubleshooting would seem to call for removing it, at this point.

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 03:31 AM
So you're going back to AVG? Check out this thread: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic174946.html

damn....to the first part...

and yes, you're right...i was getting BSOD's with just the Win 7 and Disc drivers... I didn't get a BSOD when i recently installed JD's updated drivers and Win 7 Ultimate...but then again...the computer stayed on the whole time and I didn't do my "wait a while" test that the BSOD loves to come up on...

Brody - The system Image i restored back to already had MSE, Malwarebytes and VLC installed on my PC...nothing else...I almost want to do a fresh install AGAIN...and install drivers (JD's) and then update Win 7...then sit on it till later tonight.....

btw - 2 stick - also 4gb...doing fine i guess.. one last stick to go.

thanks again everyone.

AVG/MSE...i don't know anymore..lol. torn between two lovers. lol. ASC 5 works really well...but i guess i still need an anti-virus with it huh...

dstrakele
01-08-2012, 03:35 AM
Whatever you do, the key is to attempt to reproduce the error. To do that, you'll unfortunately have to let your system sit unpowered for long periods of time.

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 03:58 AM
Whatever you do, the key is to attempt to reproduce the error. To do that, you'll unfortunately have to let your system sit unpowered for long periods of time.

i was afraid of that...

well, on the 3rd stick right now... so it seems like the memory is not the culprit. Is that safe to assume? since I both turned it on and off for about 10 min or so, unpluged and taken the battery out...installed one stick and worked on it a bit?

I think I might try to re-install drivers again and win 7 with updates...and then let it sit for a bit...in the meantime, what do you guys think about me buying an SX from amazon and possibly returning this one to them? (this is the sound of desperation) I think Brody knows a bit about the customer service and return policy of amazon...will it work...hypothetically speaking of course.. :(

dstrakele
01-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Personally, I wouldn't spend the time to do a complete reinstall. I would attempt to troubleshoot the problem with your current installation (as you're doing by checking the memory and uninstalling MSE now). You have an unusual BSOD (only occurs at startup after the machine has set for a long time) with an unusual bug check code (STOP 0x36). It is likely you will also eventually discover the unusual cause. I don't believe it is a simple case of driver conflict.

There is something key about tie issue occurring only when the machine is powered off for a long time. I believe it is the cooling off completely or electricity draining from components that is related to the cause of this issue.

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 05:40 AM
There is something key about tie issue occurring only when the machine is powered off for a long time. I believe it is the cooling off completely or electricity draining from components that is related to the cause of this issue.
That makes a lot of sense. Another possibility that occurred to me is that some scheduled event could be triggering the action that results in the BSOD. Perhaps some internal update (there are a lot of these kinds of things running in the background all the time) that only runs on start-up, and only runs x number of minutes or hours after the last attempt. I believe the implicated function in MSE was an attempt to update its signatures at start-up....but lots of programs will, by default, surreptitiously go online to update this or check that.

@reddragun.....if you never turn your machine off, do you never get BSODs? Does it ever happen right in the middle of an ongoing usage session?

dstrakele
01-08-2012, 05:50 AM
I think if the cause was as simple as MSE attempting to update its signature file at startup, I would be getting this BSOD. Googling "MSE BSOD on startup" would be loaded with threads of people experiencing STOP 0x36 bug checks, but it's not...

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 05:58 AM
No, I didn't necessarily mean that, specifically....I was just using it as an example of how a scheduled event from one program was causing the issue for some people. (I haven't seen MSE do anything like that on my test platform, either.)

I was just suggesting that that seems like another possible reason for the weird way it only happens after being shut down for awhile.....the offending event might be similarly scheduled, and triggered by the combination of time delay + start-up.

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 10:07 AM
That makes a lot of sense. Another possibility that occurred to me is that some scheduled event could be triggering the action that results in the BSOD. Perhaps some internal update (there are a lot of these kinds of things running in the background all the time) that only runs on start-up, and only runs x number of minutes or hours after the last attempt. I believe the implicated function in MSE was an attempt to update its signatures at start-up....but lots of programs will, by default, surreptitiously go online to update this or check that.

@reddragun.....if you never turn your machine off, do you never get BSODs? Does it ever happen right in the middle of an ongoing usage session?

no it doesn't or its very rare...let me quickly explain...after a long time of being powered off it will BSOD. then when i manually force it off and turn it back on...it will work for a few minutes and then BSOD again. Then after that...if i start playing a game or something...it will be fine.

Always BSOD on a cold start up. usually 2-4hr wait. then turn on. and BSOD.

occasionally there will be a 2nd BSOD following the first one. 1-2mins into turning it on. This happens often but not every time.

if I leave the computer on after a long session of gaming or misc stuff...and CLOSE the LID...when I come back it has restarted or will be a BSOD.

if I leave with the computer lid up...it will be fine and rarely will BSOD....1-9 times with lid up; walked away for the day/night... 9-10 times it will BSOD if i left the lid down...just to clear it up..

after a BSOD and the computer starts again...I will either be in on the internet in a search engine using either explorer or chrome...or I may be in a folder under my docs or a folder on the desktop. A crash will occur. <- it will generate a notice saying "explorer stopped working" etc...and then crash. or just crash without notice sometimes..

BUT I have rarely had crash on my while I was playing a MMORPG. it almost never did...that's why i put up with it for so long. I was just gaming playing 4-8hrs..not turning it off at night leaving the lip up...and most of the time...I can continue playing the next day....:( sad really... I went on for like 3-4 days without experiencing a crash...but it would eventually happen when i turned it off...or it was idle for a loooooong time. <- occasionally though..

XVeno
01-08-2012, 10:13 AM
no it doesn't or its very rare...let me quickly explain...after a long time of being powered off it will BSOD. then when i manually force it off and turn it back on...it will work for a few minutes and then BSOD again. Then after that...if i start playing a game or something...it will be fine.

Always BSOD on a cold start up. usually 2-4hr wait. then turn on. and BSOD.

occasionally there will be a 2nd BSOD following the first one. 1-2mins into turning it on. This happens often but not every time.

if I leave the computer on after a long session of gaming or misc stuff...and CLOSE the LID...when I come back it has restarted or will be a BSOD.

if I leave with the computer lid up...it will be fine and rarely will BSOD....1-9 times with lid up; walked away for the day/night... 9-10 times it will BSOD if i left the lid down...just to clear it up..

after a BSOD and the computer starts again...I will either be in on the internet in a search engine using either explorer or chrome...or I may be in a folder under my docs or a folder on the desktop. A crash will occur.

BUT I have rarely had crash on my while I was playing a MMORPG. it almost never did...that's why i put up with it for so long. I was just gaming playing 4-8hrs..not turning it off at night leaving the lip up...and most of the time...I can continue playing the next day....:( sad really...

Well, in my humblest opinion, I came to a point where I think that you'd do better getting a new one... It wouldn't hurt at all really, and you're in the right to do that, no one that pays over $1400 should get a faulty system.

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 10:33 AM
geez...that sounds intolerable! You put up with it a lot longer than I could have.

So where do things stand now....I assume the memory tests are done. Are you uninstalling programs? Starting over? Pulling your hair out? ......

reddragun3
01-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Well, in my humblest opinion, I came to a point where I think that you'd do better getting a new one... It wouldn't hurt at all really, and you're in the right to do that, no one that pays over $1400 should get a faulty system.

this is ture...

geez...that sounds intolerable! You put up with it a lot longer than I could have.

So where do things stand now....I assume the memory tests are done. Are you uninstalling programs? Starting over? Pulling your hair out? ......

lol...yeah...the little hair i have. lol

I came the realization this morning when I turned on my ROG and it Blue Screen over and over and wouldn't even go into windows at all now. This was after another clean install of win 7 ultimate & updates with updated drivers from JD's list only. The thing I did different this time was to let it sit overnight and turn it on this morning..(good morning btw) lol

here is the screen cap of my event viewer:

Here (https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=cd042a05d35068ec&resid=CD042A05D35068EC!131&parid=CD042A05D35068EC!126)

So I filled out an RMA report thismorning with a stern and lengthy excuse to why I should be a new machine and not a refurbished or 2nd time RMA'd one....

Thanks everyone for trying really hard to help me. It was a doomed cause but you all still tried your best. Thanks. I still believe in Asus and will get another one, somehow..soon i hope. I'll jump back on the forum to update everyone. I still like this machine and this model. But i truly believe that I got an early build and its just buggy and unstable like you guys mentioned. Its the only reason that makes sense after this craziness. Cheers everyone... thanks again :)

dstrakele
01-08-2012, 06:26 PM
I see you got a STOP 0x24 NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff557433(v=vs.85).aspx) this last time. This bugcheck typically indicates disk corruption or nonpaged pool memory depletion. I still believe these causes are too simple to be your case. Your fix is probably something more - like motherboard replacement. But it might not be a bad idea to run a chkdsk c: /f for troubleshooting sake - even though you replaced your original HDD with a new SSD.

I did notice Chastity - an ASUS employee - is now opening cases on Notebook Review ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/). From what I've seen, Chastity is the most knowledgeable and helpful ASUS employee you are likely to encounter. I recommend you go over there and send a PM requesting help and referencing this thread.

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 07:14 PM
So I filled out an RMA report thismorning with a stern and lengthy excuse to why I should be a new machine and not a refurbished or 2nd time RMA'd one....
I agree that you should get one, and hopefully the early build/possibly buggy nature of your machine bolsters the argument. They may well replace all the guts (a de facto new machine), but I don't think I've heard of them giving brand new replacement units. We'll keep our fingers crossed though.....

Good luck and keep us posted.

reddragun3
01-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Hey Guys! It took a bit but I got my rig back from ASUS (RMA). The paper that got shipped back said they REPLACED the hard drive and the memory. not sure if they replaced all the memory or just a single module. But that's what it said. Still have the same G74, they didn't give me a new one... :( but I didn't think they would...just hoped they would.

Anyways, I got it the other night and turned it on. It was a fresh install of Win 7 w/ SP1 so I set that up..

FIRST THING TO SHOW UP WAS:

1. Finger sensing pad isn't suitable for use.

2. Tried to make a back-up using ASUS Recovery Program (with DVD's) and it wouldn't burn the first disc! (previous RMA didn't even read that I have a recovery drive to back anything to so this is a step up! lol

--- So I ignored that for the moment and turned it off to try my "overnight" test. Turned it on after a whole night, like i used to, and it did NOT Blue Screen! YAAAAAYYYYYY!!!! fixed? i guess we'll see...

At the moment, I'm at work and I just turned it on and wanted to write to you guys to give ya'll an update. Now, it was factory restored and it's saying the finger pad thing is not suitable again and I'm sure the ASUS AI recovery program will ask me to back up, plus all the bloatware and stuff is on it again (eManual, inter turbo boost, asus vibe center, etc...)

Before I try to install ANYTHING, i wanted to check with you guys to see what I should do first, aside from waiting to see if it BSOD's again out of the blue. so far so good though. 1. should i updated the finger pad? 2. should I uninstall bloatware? <- i don't mind leaving it in if it means no blue screens....3. I have win 7 ultimate, a kingston 94gb SSD and 4 - 4gb hyper x module's just itching to get placed inside the G74...

any advice is greatly appreciated as always, and if i sound a bit scared and anal about what to do next and kind of frightened to do anything all at once...I'm sure YOU guys understand why. lol. I'll be taking it step by step and doing my "overnight" test to make sure all is good.

but first things first, back up disc? digital clone bkup? or finger pad driver update?...

dstrakele
01-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about the Ai Recovery Disks at the moment. Unless your HDD fails, you can still perform an ASUS Factory Restore from the hidden partition by pressing F9 at startup. It'll give you the same results as the Recovery DVD's, but will be MUCH faster.

The initial DVD could've failed due to bad media, a problem with your DVD drive, or some other software glitch during the burn. You want to make sure you've got nothing else running on the system when you perform the burn.

Do you now (since return from RMA) have a Sentelic or Synaptics touchpad? Is that an error dialog that pops up telling you the touchpad isn't suitable for use? Or is it an exclamation mark in a yelllow circle in Device Manager? What does Device Manager tell you about the make, Hardware Ids, and driver version installed to your touchpad?

reddragun3
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=dstrakele;67908]I wouldn't worry about the Ai Recovery Disks at the moment. Unless your HDD fails, you can still perform an ASUS Factory Restore from the hidden partition by pressing F9 at startup. It'll give you the same results as the Recovery DVD's, but will be MUCH faster.

The initial DVD could've failed due to bad media, a problem with your DVD drive, or some other software glitch during the burn. You want to make sure you've got nothing else running on the system when you perform the burn.

thanks. I've tried multiple media's and turned things off before. It never worked for me (even before the RMA's). So I'll just choose to ignore it and possibly uninstall it and rely on the Recovery drive way. Maybe even just clone the drive since i have a ton of external's and SSD's just lying around.

Do you now (since return from RMA) have a Sentelic or Synaptics touchpad? Is that an error dialog that pops up telling you the touchpad isn't suitable for use? Or is it an exclamation mark in a yelllow circle in Device Manager? What does Device Manager tell you about the make, Hardware Ids, and driver version installed to your touchpad?

Sentellic, its an error dialog that pops up but nothing is showing in the device manager.
Device manager says: its plugged into PS/2 mouse port, the device is working properly, driver is 9.0.2.7 and its driver date is 3/31/2011, no conflicts.

hmmm.. ok...what does that mean now that the window pops up every time i turn on, but device is working properly? RMA???? lol...j/k..(hope so)

dstrakele
01-25-2012, 11:37 PM
You DO want to make sure your drive is capable of successfully burning media (if it is a DVD recorder). Can you successfully burn the Windows 7 Home Premium .ISO file to DVD? That is something you could use in the future.

What happens if uninstall the current touchpad driver, and then attempt installation of the Sentelic version 9.1.7.7 driver from Safe Mode?

BrodyBoy
01-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by reddradum3:
Sentellic, its an error dialog that pops up but nothing is showing in the device manager.
Device manager says: its plugged into PS/2 mouse port, the device is working properly, driver is 9.0.2.7 and its driver date is 3/31/2011, no conflicts.

hmmm.. ok...what does that mean now that the window pops up every time i turn on, but device is working properly? RMA???? lol...j/k..(hope so)

Can you quote the error dialog exactly, or better yet, post a screenshot of it?

reddragun3
01-26-2012, 02:40 AM
ohhh kayyyyy... so when i restarted my rig, after i went into the device manager to pull the info for you guys...it stopped popping up. I've reset my system and waited a bit also and it doesn't pop up anymore. not sure why..I didn't touch anything..but it was there for sure...if it pop's up again, I'll be sure to snag a picture of it for you guys...but as of now...I guess I can move on to the disk drive.

I believe its the program not letting it burn to a disc correctly. I say this because I've had an issue with the ASUS AI recovery program before (first RMA) and it always messed up at the last disc or in the middle somewhere...it never went perfect. ever. But I research somewhere on this site to manually grab the files in my doc/temps folder and just burn it directly with IMG BURN or some program that burns ISO's. When I did that, it all worked on the first try and that's how I got my previous back-up disc.

I'm just a bit worried about installing IMG BURN right now just to back up, since dstrakele reminded me of the Recovery partition on my HDD. I wanted to do one better and use the Kingston program that came with my SSD to "clone" my current drive (fresh back from RMA) to the SSD and eventually replace the current drive with it. So I'll have the 750GB HDD as a back-up clone drive in case i have to RMA it again.

also looking for some guidance in what to do first now that I am pretty sure it works and doesn't blue screen (hasn't done it all day) I am sure though that whatever I do, I going to have to do 1 thing. turn it off and wait a day and turn it back on..just to be safe. So i know that what ever program I put in or update is not causing it to BSOD.

i don't mind leaving the bloatware, i also don't mind not installing the SSD and memory...not yet...but maybe update win 7? or check for updated drivers first? I'm also leaving the power setting for now...until I'm comfortable in knowing that it wont BSOD. so any advice on what to do first before I try to install a game?.....thx

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 02:55 AM
But I research somewhere on this site to manually grab the files in my doc/temps folder and just burn it directly with IMG BURN or some program that burns ISO's. When I did that, it all worked on the first try and that's how I got my previous back-up disc.
Interesting.....I'd like to try that. What image file(s) ended up in your temp folder, and how did they get there? (I would very much like to figure out how to circumvent the very "closed" system Asus uses for recovery.)

I'm just a bit worried about installing IMG BURN right now just to back up, since dstrakele reminded me of the Recovery partition on my HDD. I wanted to do one better and use the Kingston program that came with my SSD to "clone" my current drive (fresh back from RMA) to the SSD and eventually replace the current drive with it. So I'll have the 750GB HDD as a back-up clone drive in case i have to RMA it again.
If you want to avoid ImgBurn, you can use Window's own image burner utility. It works quite well. In terms of cloning your OS partition, you can also do that with Windows' own internal utiltiies....Backup and Restore will allow you to create a system image and then restore it back on to the SSD when the time comes.

also looking for some guidance in what to do first now that I am pretty sure it works and doesn't blue screen (hasn't done it all day) I am sure though that whatever I do, I going to have to do 1 thing. turn it off and wait a day and turn it back on..just to be safe. So i know that what ever program I put in or update is not causing it to BSOD.

i don't mind leaving the bloatware, i also don't mind not installing the SSD and memory...not yet...but maybe update win 7? or check for updated drivers first? I'm also leaving the power setting for now...until I'm comfortable in knowing that it wont BSOD. so any advice on what to do first before I try to install a game?.....thx
If your system is functioning the way you want, you really don't have to do much of anything. It's generally a good idea to keep Windows updated, and if Asus did a factory restore with the orig G74 image, there will be lots of updates to do. And you'll probably want to update your WLAN driver, especially if you have an Atheros card. But other than that, there's really no need to worry about having the very latest version of every driver.

I do still think it's a good idea to uninstall bloatware you obviously don't want or need. If you start installing your hames and programs and run into issues, all that junk just makes it harder to troubleshoot. The fewer confounding variables involved, the better. (And Asus software is nothing if not a flashy array of confounding variables! ;))

reddragun3
01-26-2012, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=BrodyBoy;67975]Interesting.....I'd like to try that. What image file(s) ended up in your temp folder, and how did they get there? (I would very much like to figure out how to circumvent the very "closed" system Asus uses for recovery.)

It happens when i use the ASUS AI Recovery program. It just makes the ISO's and saved them to your documents folder under recovery_tmp. Well, that's what happen to mine. It did it before and made 6 disc's...now it only made 4. Is this what you meant?

I And you'll probably want to update your WLAN driver, especially if you have an Atheros card.

tried to do this right now, and i ran into this pop-up when i turned on my pc.

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 09:42 PM
It sounds like you're running into an issue where the touchpad may have the wrong driver installed. I would try to completely uninstall any 3rd party TP driver(s). When you restart, Windows will install its own generic driver Hopefully, the hardware ID will then be correct ad you'll be able to determine which TP hardware you have and install the appropriate driver.

(I say "hopefully" because there was one owner who reported hardware_ID changing with the driver, which I've never seen before. If that can happen, it makes it awfully hard to know what you've actually got in there!)

reddragun3
01-26-2012, 10:13 PM
It sounds like you're running into an issue where the touchpad may have the wrong driver installed. I would try to completely uninstall any 3rd party TP driver(s). When you restart, Windows will install its own generic driver Hopefully, the hardware ID will then be correct ad you'll be able to determine which TP hardware you have and install the appropriate driver.

(I say "hopefully" because there was one owner who reported hardware_ID changing with the driver, which I've never seen before. If that can happen, it makes it awfully hard to know what you've actually got in there!)

I tried it but it just went back to the same thing. Do you mean when I un-install, also DELETE the driver? it gives me that option but i just chose to uninstall for now..

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah....delete. Get rid of all traces of the existing driver.

reddragun3
01-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Yeah....delete. Get rid of all traces of the existing driver.

ok. i deleted it and Microsoft supplied the driver. driver date: 6/21/2006. version: 6.1.7600.16385

..works fine. no pop-up's yet...maybe time to clone the current drive to my current external SSD...which i will later switch the internal drive with? or do you rec. deleting bloatware? i can find the list on this site about what i can delete and not. I've seen a sticky on it somewhere in the G-series thread...

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't recall if you use the touchpad or an external mouse, but keep in mind that the Microsoft driver, while perfectly decent and usable, is a limited one. It doesn't have any of the multi-touch "gesture" features that the manufacturer's driver will have.

If you want the full-featured TP driver, you should now go into Device Manager and check the hardware ID of your pointing device. From that, you'll know whether it's a Sentelic or Synaptics, and you can install the appropriate driver.

You might be asking the wrong person here about bloatware! lol! I think it should ALL go, I really do.

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 12:11 AM
You could also try a completely clean install to the SSD. If you just pull the existing HDD (the one with the OS) and pop the SSD in there, you could install Windows and the essential drivers. Try that installation for awhile, even swap the two installations back and forth to compare and see which you like best. If you still prefer the OEM installation, you can easily format the SSD and clone onto it, as you're planning now anyway.

reddragun3
01-27-2012, 12:50 AM
you should now go into Device Manager and check the hardware ID of your pointing device. From that, you'll know whether it's a Sentelic or Synaptics, and you can install the appropriate driver.

how does one do that? I went into the device manager and tried scanning for new devices but its showing microsoft as the manufacturer?

You might be asking the wrong person here about bloatware! lol! I think it should ALL go, I really do.

I totally understand...i want to get rid of all the bloatware too...but if it means risking getting a BSOD..somehow..even thought it makes no sense and is not related to eachother...someway ...i will get a BSOD.. lol...and i just got her back!!! :( lol

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 01:03 AM
how does one do that? I went into the device manager and tried scanning for new devices but its showing microsoft as the manufacturer?

Open Device Manager
Double-click on the pointing device entry to open its Properties box.
Select the "Details" tab
Select the "Hardware_IDs" option from the drop-down menu
If the IDs include STLC, you have a Sentelic. If the IDs contain SYN, you have a Synaptics.

I totally understand...i want to get rid of all the bloatware too...but if it means risking getting a BSOD..somehow..even thought it makes no sense and is not related to eachother...someway ...i will get a BSOD.. lol...and i just got her back!!! :( lol
I really don't think the BSODs were a software snafu before. I think you had a hardware issue, and it seems they have replaced the offending parts.

Here's another strategy, if you want to take it slow:

Use Backup & Restore to save a system image onto your 2nd HDD (if you have one). If you don't have one, make a little (~50Gb) partition on your single HDD and save it there.
Gradually start uninstalling bloatware programs. For example, uninstall P4G, and use the computer for a day or two until you're confident everything's okay.
Each time you are satisfied that the uninstall was successful, i.e., your system is stable, make a new system image before moving on to uninstall the next piece of bloatware.
Keep doing this as you slowly "trim down" your bloatware load. Each time, you can always revert back to the most recent stable installation if you run into any problems.

Eventually, you'll have a much leaner installation to transfer to the SSD.

reddragun3
01-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Open Device Manager
Double-click on the pointing device entry to open its Properties box.
Select the "Details" tab
Select the "Hardware_IDs" option from the drop-down menu
If the IDs include STLC, you have a Sentelic. If the IDs contain SYN, you have a Synaptics.

thanks. learned something new. it says ACPI\STLC141
*STLC141

..so i have a Sentellic. should i download the driver from here or find it at the Sentellic website and get it there?

I really don't think the BSODs were a software snafu before. I think you had a hardware issue, and it seems they have replaced the offending parts.

i know...but my bad luck goes beyond all reasoning...lol...you'll be surprised how i can get the weirdest of issues.

Here's another strategy, if you want to take it slow:

Use Backup & Restore to save a system image onto your 2nd HDD (if you have one). If you don't have one, make a little (~50Gb) partition on your single HDD and save it there.
Gradually start uninstalling bloatware programs. For example, uninstall P4G, and use the computer for a day or two until you're confident everything's okay.
Each time you are satisfied that the uninstall was successful, i.e., your system is stable, make a new system image before moving on to uninstall the next piece of bloatware.
Keep doing this as you slowly "trim down" your bloatware load. Each time, you can always revert back to the most recent stable installation if you run into any problems.

Eventually, you'll have a much leaner installation to transfer to the SSD.

this sounds like a superb idea. thank you. I WILL TAKE IT SLOW! i have plenty of other pc's/mac's to use in the meantime...I'll go down this list as soon as I fix or update the issue for the TP.

My HDD setup is weird this time compared to the other time I got it back from a previous RMA or when I first purchased it. (this is pertaining to your Back-up & Restore list above. I have my OS in the C:\ using about 58GB (241GB free of 299GB). Then They split that drive into two partitions so have a D:\ that's empty (373GB) ...then I have a single E:\ with 31GB used (667GB of 698GB) but what's in it isn't a usual recovery drive file and setup. it just has 6 folders that look like a previous OS. It has:

-Intel
-PerfLogs
-Program Files
-Program Files (x86)
-Users
-Windows

and that's it. No single files or anything else like my OS C:\ drive has...just these folders. Can I delete these files and split the drive like you recommend (~50GB) for a recovery drive and leave the rest for storage? I don't want to delete something on accident. thanks

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 06:25 PM
thanks. learned something new. it says ACPI\STLC141
*STLC141

..so i have a Sentellic. should i download the driver from here or find it at the Sentellic website and get it there?
There's no manufacturer source for Sentelic drivers. You have to get them directly from Asus. The two most commonly used versions are 9.1.3.5 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/vista/Touchpad_Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9135.zip) and 9.1.7.7. (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Touchpad_Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9177.zip) They differ primarily in how they handle errant touches while typing....9.1.3.5 lets you define a "reactivation time," while 9.1.7.7. lets you define a TP area for reactivation. There are some other little differences, but that's the main thing.

this sounds like a superb idea. thank you. I WILL TAKE IT SLOW! i have plenty of other pc's/mac's to use in the meantime...I'll go down this list as soon as I fix or update the issue for the TP.
Of course, the point is to also use it while you gradually change the configuration. That's how you'll best know if any change causes a problem.

My HDD setup is weird this time compared to the other time I got it back from a previous RMA or when I first purchased it. (this is pertaining to your Back-up & Restore list above. I have my OS in the C:\ using about 58GB (241GB free of 299GB). Then They split that drive into two partitions so have a D:\ that's empty (373GB) ...then I have a single E:\ with 31GB used (667GB of 698GB) but what's in it isn't a usual recovery drive file and setup. it just has 6 folders that look like a previous OS. It has:

-Intel
-PerfLogs
-Program Files
-Program Files (x86)
-Users
-Windows

and that's it. No single files or anything else like my OS C:\ drive has...just these folders. Can I delete these files and split the drive like you recommend (~50GB) for a recovery drive and leave the rest for storage? I don't want to delete something on accident. thanks
When Windows Setup detects an existing installation on a computer, it makes all those backup files before overwriting the OS partition. That's what all that stuff is.

You can safely go into Disk Management and just delete that E: partition. Then, as you suggest, you can repartition the disk however you want. Disk Management is a very handy and powerful tool....you can expand partitions, shrink them, delete them, etc. (Remember the old days when we had to use FDISK in a DOS environment? This is so much easier!) Let me know if you need any help with Disk Management.

reddragun3
01-27-2012, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=BrodyBoy;68632]There's no manufacturer source for Sentelic drivers. You have to get them directly from Asus. The two most commonly used versions are 9.1.3.5 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/vista/Touchpad_Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9135.zip) and 9.1.7.7. (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Touchpad_Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9177.zip) They differ primarily in how they handle errant touches while typing....9.1.3.5 lets you define a "reactivation time," while 9.1.7.7. lets you define a TP area for reactivation. There are some other little differences, but that's the main thing.

Thanks for the heads up. I tend to touch the TP near the top left and right with my thumbs on accident. Which causes the pointer to jump in the middle of what i was typing and mess thing up for me. To be honest, I attach an external keyboard and mouse to my rig so i rarely use the TP...But what do you recommend on those rare occasions i would need to use it? 3.5 or 7.7?

When Windows Setup detects an existing installation on a computer, it makes all those backup files before overwriting the OS partition. That's what all that stuff is.

Ok. I can manage the Disc Management. It is very simple and user friendly to customize the HDD the way you want it now a days...and I do remember back in the day when we had to use FDISK in DOS. lol. I feel old now. :(

dstrakele
01-27-2012, 07:20 PM
With the 9.1.7.7 driver, you can configure the touchpad reactivation AREA to be away from the area you accidentally touch when typing. However, I'm thinking the default configuration of a small circle just above center of the touchpad will work for you. It does for me...

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 07:32 PM
But what do you recommend on those rare occasions i would need to use it? 3.5 or 7.7?
I usually recomend that people try both drivers and just use whichever one works best for them.

For those who seldom use the built-in touchpad, I don't think the manufacturer's drivers are really even necessary. As you've probably discovered already, the Microsoft driver is fine for basic functionality, and I don't think it's plagued by some of the issues owners see with the more complex gesture-enabled drivers.

dstrakele
01-27-2012, 07:46 PM
In my opinion, if the touchpad was smaller and set back further from the keyboard, you would be much less likely to touch it while typing. That seems to be the main problem when the touchpad is functioning normally, and the only way to remedy that problem is to deactivate the touchpad while typing.

Personally, I prefer the larger touchpad. It makes it easier to cover more 'real estate' on the display, particularly if you run an extended display into a 2nd monitor.

reddragun3
01-27-2012, 09:46 PM
thanks for all the advice guys. I installed the 7.7 version. seems to work fine. checked out the settings for the activation. very cool. I think I might stick with this for a while. it'll be fine. Going to do the "off for a while test" along with, "shut the lid" and "keep on for a while"...all things that have resulted in BSOD's.. So far so good. Uninstalling the bloatware will take a while, since I'll be doing it the looooong and slow way. I haven't messed with the power settings either. I'll save that for another time. i know you guys mention that you have it set up to never sleep and to do nothing when you close the lid....I don't want too many variables in the midst of my testing the stability during the purging process. I'll update you guys with the status and maybe some quick questions from time to time. thanks for all your help again. Now its just a matter of time before I have that clean bloat-free awesome rig! :)

reddragun3
01-27-2012, 09:59 PM
** really quick**

can i delete the 25GB partition on the main HDD? I think its a partition for recovery..but I already made my own 70GB one and saved a system image on it?

Thanks..lol

dstrakele
01-27-2012, 10:09 PM
The 25 GB partition is likely used for the ASUS Factory Restore. If you have no desire to use it, it may be deleted.

reddragun3
01-27-2012, 10:17 PM
sweet. thanks! ;)

reddragun3
01-27-2012, 10:41 PM
The 25 GB partition is likely used for the ASUS Factory Restore. If you have no desire to use it, it may be deleted.

dstrakele - I deleted the partition since i already have made my own "recovery" drive...but I can't get it to combine with the other empty drives. I can't extend the other drives or somehow combine empty, no allocated drives together. do you know of a fix so i just have the 2 partitioned drives?

jdp568
01-27-2012, 11:02 PM
I have the G74 BBK model...I uninstalled all the stuff that guys in the forum recommended.No problems...updated to BIOS202.Thats all.

reddragun3
01-27-2012, 11:33 PM
i read, in an archive post you responded to, that one guy needed to use a third party program to combine the extra partition (25GB) to the other blank partition. :( .... not willing to go that route yet. I'll keep it for now and continue un-installing bloatware. :(

BrodyBoy
01-28-2012, 08:06 AM
** really quick**

can i delete the 25GB partition on the main HDD? I think its a partition for recovery..but I already made my own 70GB one and saved a system image on it?

Thanks..lol
I know you already deleted it, but just a heads up for future reference. The recovery partition is unique....it contains a set of files and installation scripts for completely re-installing the OEM installation. In this sense, it's quite different from the images that we make, which are more like a "snapshot" of the installation at whatever point we make the image. The factory partition or the set of recovery DVDs are the only way to restore a computer to its original, out-of-the-box setup.

dstrakele - I deleted the partition since i already have made my own "recovery" drive...but I can't get it to combine with the other empty drives. I can't extend the other drives or somehow combine empty, no allocated drives together. do you know of a fix so i just have the 2 partitioned drives?

The recovery partition was physically placed before your OS partition. You can only expand/combine adjacent partitions, so you can't add that 25Gb to unallocated space elsewhere on the disk. You can expand the OS partition into it, but my understanding is that it will remain unused anyway. Because Windows expects to be the first thing on its partition, it places all subsequent files after the Windows files.

reddragun3
01-28-2012, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=BrodyBoy;68801]I know you already deleted it, but just a heads up for future reference. The recovery partition is unique....it contains a set of files and installation scripts for completely re-installing the OEM installation. In this sense, it's quite different from the images that we make, which are more like a "snapshot" of the installation at whatever point we make the image. The factory partition or the set of recovery DVDs are the only way to restore a computer to its original, out-of-the-box setup.

oh damn. really? yeah, I already deleted it...is there a way to get it back? or can i somehow replace it myself? Since the out-of-the-box setup is basically a "back to the starting point" kind of restore..I would only use it if i weren't taking my time singling out programs and creating a system image after its found to be stable. I do have recovery dvd's from before...2 set's actually and i have the ISO's created from the AI recovery program on my desktop (of the current setup) should i still be worried?

also, what should i do now with the extra 25GB? i just make it a simple drive and will use it for downloads or storage.

BrodyBoy
01-28-2012, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE]

oh damn. really? yeah, I already deleted it...is there a way to get it back? or can i somehow replace it myself? Since the out-of-the-box setup is basically a "back to the starting point" kind of restore..I would only use it if i weren't taking my time singling out programs and creating a system image after its found to be stable. I do have recovery dvd's from before...2 set's actually and i have the ISO's created from the AI recovery program on my desktop (of the current setup) should i still be worried?

also, what should i do now with the extra 25GB? i just make it a simple drive and will use it for downloads or storage.
The recovery DVDs can also restore you computer to the out-of-box set-up. They also, in the process, restore the recovery partition on your hard drive.

I wouldn't worry too much about that 25Gb. You're eventually transferring to an SSD, right? Assuming you re-task the hard drive as a data drive, you regain it then.

reddragun3
01-29-2012, 12:14 AM
[QUOTE=reddragun3;68936]
The recovery DVDs can also restore you computer to the out-of-box set-up. They also, in the process, restore the recovery partition on your hard drive.

I wouldn't worry too much about that 25Gb. You're eventually transferring to an SSD, right? Assuming you re-task the hard drive as a data drive, you regain it then.

oh. that's a relief. thanks. Yes, you're right...i will eventually switch to the SSD for fast booting and and switch out the OEM samsung memory to some kingston hyper x. last time i did a fresh install of ultimate, I don't remember it making a 25GB partition. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

So far the "bloatware" process has gone well. I didn't un-install ALL of the bloatware..but most of it. The ones I left didn't really bother me much...maybe i should un-install anyway?? to lessen the variables if something does go wrong? i used the link to notebookreview.com to see what i could delete. I have 2 programs (Asustools & Asusvibe) that i couldn't find on the list to whether or not i could delete them...but there not bothering yet...

expressgate, ai recovery, lifeframe, power4gear, splendid, webstorage and virtual camera are the programs i still have Asus. I think I will eventually delete these but I don't mind keeping it for now..

installed the ASC5 (awesome) MSE (no issues so far) and updated the WLAN, LAN, USB3_Fresco and the ATK drivers only. I left the other drivers alone since I'm not having any issues yet. I downloaded all the drivers though in case I do want to update everything or install ultimate again...but Win7 HP is fine so far. Maybe I should install the updated video card driver huh?

NO BSOD's. NO PoP-ups..I'm constantly backing it up. creating restore points and system images along the way... so far so good. I think I might try to install a game tonight. :)

will let you know how that goes...I'm less worried about the BSOD and it seems like it really was a combination of bad HDD and memory huh? we'll see i guess..time will tell.

BrodyBoy
01-29-2012, 01:27 AM
[QUOTE=BrodyBoy;69021]

oh. that's a relief. thanks. Yes, you're right...i will eventually switch to the SSD for fast booting and and switch out the OEM samsung memory to some kingston hyper x. last time i did a fresh install of ultimate, I don't remember it making a 25GB partition. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
Just to be clear, we're only talking about the OEM installation here. The factory restore, the recovery partition, the recovery disks.....this stuff is only applciable to the Asus installation. So our clean installs don't create recovery partitions.

The set of disks is essentially a back up of the recovery partition. When used, they actually restore the recovery partition to the hard drive, and then the system is restored from that.

So far the "bloatware" process has gone well. I didn't un-install ALL of the bloatware..but most of it. The ones I left didn't really bother me much...maybe i should un-install anyway?? to lessen the variables if something does go wrong? i used the link to notebookreview.com to see what i could delete. I have 2 programs (Asustools & Asusvibe) that i couldn't find on the list to whether or not i could delete them...but there not bothering yet...

expressgate, ai recovery, lifeframe, power4gear, splendid, webstorage and virtual camera are the programs i still have Asus. I think I will eventually delete these but I don't mind keeping it for now..
That thread on NBR isn't all that current anymore....you have to use it more as general guide, as some of those programs have been retired or replaced by others.

installed the ASC5 (awesome) MSE (no issues so far) and updated the WLAN, LAN, USB3_Fresco and the ATK drivers only. I left the other drivers alone since I'm not having any issues yet. I downloaded all the drivers though in case I do want to update everything or install ultimate again...but Win7 HP is fine so far. Maybe I should install the updated video card driver huh?
I'd play it by ear, the way you are with your other drivers. If you're not having issues, there's no rush to update the video driver. I've always found nVidia's official releases to be stable in my clean installs, so I always use them.

will let you know how that goes...I'm less worried about the BSOD and it seems like it really was a combination of bad HDD and memory huh? we'll see i guess..time will tell.
Whatever it was, I think it's fixed. :)

reddragun3
02-08-2012, 11:12 AM
just wanted to drop in an let ya'll know its working great so far! no issues. mostly everything i wanted installed is back on with new stuff (ASC5) and its working great!. I would say I'm 97% back into how i had it before. I still haven't replaced the memory or hard drive yet...i want to wait a bit before i do that. But I think there would be no problems.

This is such an awesome machine when everything works well. powerful and smooth. games look awesome and run so well. So glad everyone in this thread and in the forum helped me out with my BSOD (bad memory and hard drive also) issue. ;) BSOD free for a while now... :) <- happy

BrodyBoy
02-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Great to hear! I agree....it's a great machine when it's running well. :)

dogla
03-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Haven't read all 17 pages yet but all I can say for now is that I didn't even play around with the stock setup. As soon as I got my laptop i just popped out the primary drive, installed an SSD and installed my own Win7 Ultimate. I had already downloaded all drivers so it was just a matter of installing rebooting installing until everything worked. Ever since my first bootup I had a score of 7.2 (graphics was the lowest) and it boots up in 7-8 sec. I do have once a while an issue when I wake up this beast from SLEEP, I get only black screen. All I have to do is just put it back to sleep and wake him up again and it's fine. Also is the camera really 2MP? It really lags (not stuttering but my phone with 2MP front facing camera even performs better :confused: . Is that something that can be fixed? Other that that it's a real head turner everywhere I go :D and really performs as this beast should perform.....

BrodyBoy
03-29-2012, 07:20 PM
I do have once a while an issue when I wake up this beast from SLEEP, I get only black screen. All I have to do is just put it back to sleep and wake him up again and it's fine.
You may want to update your nVidia and Fresco USB drivers.

Also is the camera really 2MP? It really lags (not stuttering but my phone with 2MP front facing camera even performs better :confused: . Is that something that can be fixed? Other that that it's a real head turner everywhere I go :D and really performs as this beast should perform.....
The camera seems to be universally panned as crappy, so I don't there's anything you can "fix." It's just not good hardware.

dogla
03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Running latest NVidia driver already. I'll try downloading newer Fresco drivers and see If I still run into these issues.

Thanx Brody

BrodyBoy
03-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Running latest NVidia driver already. I'll try downloading newer Fresco drivers and see If I still run into these issues.

Thanx Brody
For the Fresco driver, try one of these. Install the driver, then the AsPatch included in the installer package.

Fresco USB3.0 v 3.5.24.0 (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/USB3.0/USB3_Fresco_Win7_64_Z35240.zip)
Fresco USB3.0 v3.5.30.0 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G74SX/USB3_Fresco_Win7_64_Z35300.zip)

EDIT: Oops, forgot to add....it's good practice to uninstall the old Fresco driver in Control Panel before installing the new one.

dogla
03-31-2012, 06:35 PM
I have v3.5.4.0 installed, isn't that newer then the 2 above?

Mrblue
03-31-2012, 08:18 PM
The only things I installed when I did a fresh windows install were the ATK package and that power4gear one, since I like that fairly useless ROG button to work even though I never use it (some wierd OCD of mine).

Problems I have had include the touchpad which just plain doesnt work properly (and I dont care enough to RMA/cant be without my computer) and the horizontal lines on the screen which after a second fresh windows install appear to be an issue with any nvidia drivers after 285.

BrodyBoy
04-01-2012, 01:04 AM
I have v3.5.4.0 installed, isn't that newer then the 2 above?
Asus' version numbering schemes are confusing.....but no, the other two drivers are newer. Here's how they are dated on the USB drivers page:

3.5.4.0 2011-10-26
3.4.24.0 2012-01-10
3.5.30.0 2012-03-14

But don't always assume the "newer" equates with "better." Many updates address model-specific issues and are not necessarily meant for your machine. (To add to the date/version # confusion.....the G74 support page now lists v3.5.30.0 as the latest Fresco update, posted 2012-01.10....the date that 3.5.24.0 was posted on the USB3.0 update page.)

BrodyBoy
04-01-2012, 01:06 AM
The only things I installed when I did a fresh windows install were the ATK package and that power4gear one, since I like that fairly useless ROG button to work even though I never use it (some wierd OCD of mine).

Problems I have had include the touchpad which just plain doesnt work properly (and I dont care enough to RMA/cant be without my computer) and the horizontal lines on the screen which after a second fresh windows install appear to be an issue with any nvidia drivers after 285.
If you only installed the ATK Package and P4G, you're missing quite a few basic drivers, including the manufacturer's touchpad driver.

That display issue isn't common to any nVidia drivers after 285, or else a lot of other owners would be seeing the same issue. They're not. It sounds like your installation may be too barebones!

Death_by_Blonde
04-04-2012, 04:49 AM
Here is a new one for you...not!

I have a recently aquired a pre-owned G74Sx-BBK7 for my birthday / Valentine's Day present this year and all though I might have a miniscule amount of IT knowledge, I am nowhere near the levels of information so many of you currently posses and am currently at an impasse of what exactly should I do or go from here...

My fiance purchased this beautiful machine and tried to have it somewhat set up for me by the time I got home...he was trying to surprise me...well, long story short he did not do a clean install nor research any information about flushing bloatware as well as removing the previous owner and all the fluff that came preinstalled...I now have a less than ideal setup with my HDD's going on and all my files, documents, music, and precious pictures are attached to this computer.

I am wondering if I can move all my personal files and programs from Main Drive (C) to either Drive1 (D) @232GB free of 232GB or better yet to Drive2 (E) @229GB free of 232GB? I really want to do a Clean Install with all the drivers you have so graciously proved as well as keep all of my precious files...would it just be easier to say "the heck with it" and transfer everything back to my external even though my fiance had originally transferred my whole "DinoDell" system on to this G74Sx through the Windows Easy Transfer Utility using our transfer cable?

Where do I start? What is my best solution or avenue of least resistance while still hopefully ending up with a positive outcome? Please help? I am so sorry for being IT linguistically challenged...I can do rather than explain, if that makes any sense...I hope this isn't to hard to understand and I do apologize again...very very sorry...

PS...I already have followed the links for the Win7HomePremium Iso as well as the correct drivers for my Clean Install...thank you all again for all that wonderful info...I really am addicted to this site now....

BrodyBoy
04-04-2012, 05:09 AM
I am wondering if I can move all my personal files and programs from Main Drive (C) to either Drive1 (D) @232GB free of 232GB or better yet to Drive2 (E) @229GB free of 232GB?
You can move and/or copy files to wherever you want them. You should definitely organize your personal data files in a way that makes the most sense to you. (You can't really "move" programs after they are installed. They should just be re-installed after a clean install or factory restore.)

I really want to do a Clean Install with all the drivers you have so graciously proved as well as keep all of my precious files...would it just be easier to say "the heck with it" and transfer everything back to my external even though my fiance had originally transferred my whole "DinoDell" system on to this G74Sx through the Windows Easy Transfer Utility using our transfer cable?
If you want to do either a clean install or factory resore, you need to back-up your data files to another disk (internal or external).

Where do I start? What is my best solution or avenue of least resistance while still hopefully ending up with a positive outcome? Please help? I am so sorry for being IT linguistically challenged...I can do rather than explain, if that makes any sense...I hope this isn't to hard to understand and I do apologize again...very very sorry...

PS...I already have followed the links for the Win7HomePremium Iso as well as the correct drivers for my Clean Install...thank you all again for all that wonderful info...I really am addicted to this site now....
So....are you definitely wanting to do a clean install? Is that what you're asking about (where to start)?

EDIT: I'll reply separately to your PM.

Death_by_Blonde
04-04-2012, 05:32 AM
So...essentially, if I move all of my data from the Main Drive (C) to lets say Drive2 (E) and perform the OS Clean Install on the Main Drive, theoretically speaking, I should be safe? And yes, I do want to do a Clean Install...I am very familiar with performing this type of update / fix / repair and have performed it several times with my 2005 Dell Inspiron 6000 (Windows XP to Windows Vista to Windows 7) and I am even familiar with hunting done specific drivers not only from the main sellers / suppliers / manufacturer's web page, but from also the various internal hardware companies sites. I have had to fix my DinoDell several times after it had fallen into the wrong hands...I hate bloatware, but am also unsure of what would be considered bloatware on this unit...thanks to you and all the other wonderful members here I am a little more confident in what I may consider needed and absolutely useless...My major problem, I know I need help, but not sure how to ask for it or even word / explain it properly...I will try my best and I thank you ahead of time for any patience you may show towards me.

As a forewarning...I have already updated my BIOS to the v203 (that I was capable of)...I am still in the process of retrieving all the drivers and I am wondering if you ever suggest to members to make sure that they are hardwired (Ethernet) into their modem / router before performing any downloads due to instability in wireless strength and bandwidth? I appreciate wireless capabilities, but I am an old fashioned "wire and plug" kinda gal...not to mention the data transfer rate speed differences as well as full and half duplex functions...just curious if it matters at all on here since I have never seen anyone post anything either way, but then again I wasn't actually looking for it....thank you a million times over again =)

BrodyBoy
04-04-2012, 05:45 AM
So...essentially, if I move all of my data from the Main Drive (C) to lets say Drive2 (E) and perform the OS Clean Install on the Main Drive, theoretically speaking, I should be safe?
I am wondering if you ever suggest to members to make sure that they are hardwired (Ethernet) into their modem / router before performing any downloads due to instability in wireless strength and bandwidth?
As long as you move data to a different location than what you overwrite with your clean install, it's safe. Be sure to look in Disk Management so you get a look at the actual disk partitioning. (Windows Explorer doesn't make it obvious which partitions are on which physical disks.)

It only matters if your wireless connection is so unstable that you keep getting disconnected mid-download. Especially if you don't use a download manager, interrupted downloads often have to be started over from the beginning. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter.

Death_by_Blonde
04-04-2012, 06:14 AM
I hope i do this correctly...

As far as I can tell, the 25GB manufacturer's(?) factory installed partition is correct, currently everything from OS and installed programs and saved files are all on Main Drive (C), while the second HDD has been split (partitioned?) into two separate yet equal drives...or am I reading this all wrong? If, by chance, I am correct, once I move all my files from the Main drive (HDD1) to either of the other two drives (HDD2), adjust allocated and non-allocated partition portions / sizes, what would your suggestion be on the amount I allocate for HDD1 concerning OS install and how should HDD2 be setup if even partitioned at all? I hope I haven't lost you...because as my forum handle implies, I am in fact a blonde...shhhh, don't tell anyone, they will figure it out in all good time....

BrodyBoy
04-04-2012, 06:31 AM
The 2nd HDD is already set up......it's got two equally-sized data partitions....D: and E:...so there's no need to do anything with that disk unless you want to change the partition sizes.

As for the first hard disk, I would recommend you leave the recovery partition intact (just in case). But if you really want to delete that partition and use the space, you should first make a set of recovery DVDs (with the AI Recovery program).....that way, you will retain the option to restore that partition and the factory installation in the future.

When you install Windows, you can use the whole primary hard disk or you can make a smaller partition for the OS. It's all a matter of personal preference. I like to use a smaller partition for Windows (~100-150Gb), but that's just me, as I like to keep Windows small and put all my files on other partitions.

Death_by_Blonde
04-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Thank you so much for your help...I have just been really apprehensive to move further even though I may have thought I was on the right track, but with your information supporting my thoughts I am now more confident in proceeding onto the next stage..."hold your breath and press enter, expect the worst / hope for the best" lol...now, onto that Iso image...can't seem to get it to burn to my disc...not sure what I am doing wrong or right for that matter....never had to work off of an Iso before, I have always had geniune copies either purchased or provided by my instructors...this is totally a learning experience for me...could possibly qualify for the last of my "bench time" for my A+ course....;)

BrodyBoy
04-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Just sent you a PM.

Death_by_Blonde
04-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Ummm, do you mind sending it again? I think I may have accidentally discarded it...yup, blonde :D

JokerTwizt3d
06-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Hello fellow rog owners, I decided to do a clean install of windows 7 ultimate on my asus g74sx laptop, currently have all drivers installed everything is butter smooth and working, EXCEPT for the usb 3.0.. I tried installing in safe mode, and it says please install in normal mode, I uninstalled all usb and let windows reinstall them successfully, yet when i connect anything in the usb 3.0 port it does not work.. before i did a clean install it did how ever work. I do not have any Asus bloatwork currently installed. I have also tried both drivers from the Asus website. This is really annoying because i already use the other 3 usb 2.0 ports, and i want to use this usb 3.0 port as well. Please help! :confused:

dstrakele
06-22-2012, 06:27 PM
It sounds like you've installed just the Intel Chipset drivers. Did you install the latest Fresco Logic USB 3.0 driver and ASPatch?

JokerTwizt3d
06-23-2012, 02:16 AM
It sounds like you've installed just the Intel Chipset drivers. Did you install the latest Fresco Logic USB 3.0 driver and ASPatch?

Yes i have tried downloading and installing directly from the asus website the latest usb 3.0 fresco drivers and aspatch it always says the same error, "usb host controller 3.0 not found" install ended prematurely.. this is so frustrating because it worked fine before the fresh install. And when i click on Aspatch it doesn nothing, im confused.

dstrakele
06-23-2012, 04:18 AM
It sounds like "usb host controller 3.0 not found" is what we need to troubleshoot. Does it appear in Device Manager as an "Unknown Device" or does it have an exclamation point in a yellow circle on it? If the latter, does right-clicking on it and choosing "Properties" from the popup menu give any additional information about thr issue?

If you choose to "Scan for new devices" from the Device Manager top menu, does it find the USB 3.0 Host Controller?

Do the Errors and Warnings in the Windows System and Application Event Logs point to any troubleshooting direction?

pnyknights
07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
It sounds like "usb host controller 3.0 not found" is what we need to troubleshoot. Does it appear in Device Manager as an "Unknown Device" or does it have an exclamation point in a yellow circle on it? If the latter, does right-clicking on it and choosing "Properties" from the popup menu give any additional information about thr issue?

If you choose to "Scan for new devices" from the Device Manager top menu, does it find the USB 3.0 Host Controller?

Do the Errors and Warnings in the Windows System and Application Event Logs point to any troubleshooting direction?

I am having this same issue as well. When in device manager there shows an exclamation point on "USB 2.0 - CRW"
I've already installed the chipset, RST and IMEI drivers all from the Asus support website.

Also how do you apply the patch or confirm that it worked? I double-clicked the application but it didn't seem to do anything.

dstrakele
07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
USB 2.0 CRW is the Card Readerdevice. It has its own driver, separate from the Intel Chipset driver for the USB 2.0 ports.

pnyknights
07-02-2012, 02:55 PM
USB 2.0 CRW is the Card Readerdevice. It has its own driver, separate from the Intel Chipset driver for the USB 2.0 ports.

LOL Yeah I realized that an hour later after a quick 'nap' XP

Weirdly enough, I just did the Athros driver and when I double clicked on the installer it asked "Do you want to install the AZUREWARE driver" I looked at the some of the files and they all said Atheros though. I guess it's just Asus's mixed up on the installer package maybe :P

dstrakele
07-02-2012, 03:05 PM
You need to look at your particular model - either on the ASUS web site on in Device Manager to determine if installation of Azureware drivers are appropriate.

pnyknights
07-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Sorry I should have clarified. Per my previous post here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&p=123596&viewfull=1#post123596), Device Manager indicated that I had the Atheros card which is the driver that I downloaded. It was just weird when I unzipped it and ran the installed it said azureware, but all the associated files in the package said atheros.

dstrakele
07-02-2012, 04:50 PM
AzureWave Technologies and Qualcomm Atheros are tied together in some fashion. Perhaps AzureWave is producing Wireless adapters with Atheros chips or something like that...

pnyknights
07-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Makes sense...I figured it was something like that. Anyways I was finally able to my Fresco drivers installed after I installed the Windows update KB2529073 mentioned in Chastity's thread

USB (All)

MS Hotfix KB2529073 Post SP1 (http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/3/9/C39E04F2-5D38-4FE6-A3AF-F54C9B17D627/Windows6.1-KB2529073-x64.msu) - fixes USB updates of drivers for more info : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2529073

Finished up my SSD optimization then I realized I forgot about the ASPatch :rolleyes:
Next on the list are a few more benchmarks (SSD shows a bit on the slow side :()and tweaking then finally Diablo 3 :D

scorpionking
07-04-2012, 08:17 PM
This thread has been most helpful. I have a G74SX-XC1 on the way that I just ordered from Amazon after being impressed by a friends G73 last week. I am sure glad I joined this site and read this thread before I started installing anything on her. You all are greatly appreciated!!

pnyknights
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
This thread has been most helpful. I have a G74SX-XC1 on the way that I just ordered from Amazon after being impressed by a friends G73 last week. I am sure glad I joined this site and read this thread before I started installing anything on her. You all are greatly appreciated!!

Awesome stuff. That's the same model I got. I'm surprised they still had some lying around in stock!

scorpionking
07-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Well it is a refurb, but for the price I couldn't resist. Was the XC1 one of the earlier models? I suppose that is something I should just search for honestly. lol