PDA

View Full Version : New G74SX-BBK7 owner, few questions

awarsoca
01-06-2012, 03:50 AM
While in BB to buy my middle schooler a laptop, I came across an open box (display model) of the G74SX, They cut me an incredible deal on it as it came with no software or battery. I bought it for me to replace my desktop. I've been trying to read through the threads and will be doing a fresh install soon (this weekend maybe). I can't flash the BIOS from 202 to 203 until I get a battery. ASUS Store has it for $139 and I've seen it on the aftermarket for $68 or so. Has anyone bought an aftermarket battery? Are there any to stay away from?
I notice there is no driver listed for the webcam, I presume Windows will recognize that without any issues, correct?
In downloading the drivers, I am not sure whether to get the Atheros (no Atheros in Device Manager or Control Panel ) or to get the Intel ProSet. The Driver page mentions a 6230 but Device manager shows I have 6150. I presume that I should be using the listed ProSet Drivers and not the Atheros?
As I don't have the driver Disk, is there any place I can get a copy of the wallpapers, etc? Chasity's link is down. ~shrug~

Trijicon
01-06-2012, 04:00 AM
You can google ROG wallpapers to get some decent ones... Here are a couple, see if you can use these...

Trijicon
01-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Here's another

Ack... Not letting me upload the other two... but here are plenty on a google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ROG+wallpaper&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ASUT_en___US461&site=webhp&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=iXIGT-afFrGnsQLzu6mQCg&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=558

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Most BB models have an Intel WLAN card, and if Device Manager lists the 6150, that's what you've likely got. Download the appropriate driver.

You should definitely use an Intel driver, not Atheros or Azurewave. But you have two choices_ just the driver, or the driver + the PROSet software suite. The drivers are exactly the same. (Intel drivers work for all their current cards.)

You should already have the G74 wallpapers on your computer.....just save them before you do the re-install.

PS: Do literally mean the battery??? They sold one with no battery? I don't know of any 3rd-party options, since it's custom made specifically for the G74 chassis. I think I'd just buy one from Asus.

awarsoca
01-06-2012, 04:27 AM
Another question, I don't see my Finger Sensing Pad ANYWHERE in device manager. It works, but it isn't in there. Anyway of determining which one so I can get the correct driver?

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Another question, I don't see my Finger Sensing Pad ANYWHERE in device manager. It works, but it isn't in there. Anyway of determining which one so I can get the correct driver?
There's no "Mice and other pointing devices" category?

fostert
01-06-2012, 04:29 AM
I've looked around on the e-market for that G74 battery and have found none! They are currently a specialty of ASUS I guess...grab it here -> http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3924

awarsoca
01-06-2012, 04:31 AM
Most BB models have an Intel WLAN card, and if Device Manager lists the 6150, that's what you've likely got. Download the appropriate driver.

You should definitely use an Intel driver, not Atheros or Azurewave. But you have two choices_ just the driver, or the driver + the PROSet software suite. The drivers are exactly the same. (Intel drivers work for all their current cards.)

You should already have the G74 wallpapers on your computer.....just save them before you do the re-install.

PS: Do literally mean the battery??? They sold one with no battery? I don't know of any 3rd-party options, since it's custom made specifically for the G74 chassis. I think I'd just buy one from Asus.tem
As for the card and wallpaper, thanks. As for the battery, correct. As in gaping space LOL. If you google a battery for the G74SX, you do get several aftermarket batteries specific for the sys

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 04:32 AM
If your installation is messed up and missing things (like mice and wallpaper!), you might consider a factory restore, even though you plan on doing a clean install. This way, you could make some recovery disks, properly check all the devices to confirm which ones you have, and save things like wallpapers.

awarsoca
01-06-2012, 04:34 AM
There's no "Mice and other pointing devices" category?

Category is there, finger sensing is not. Only HID Compliant Mouse and PS/2 Compatible Mouse. I have my Razer Copperhead plugged in as well

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 04:37 AM
It's the PS/2 Compatible Mouse. Double-click on that to open its properties, go to the Details tab, and select Hardware Ids from the drop-down list.

If the IDs have "STLC" in them, you have a Sentelic touchpad. If they have "SYN," you have a Synaptics.

awarsoca
01-06-2012, 04:42 AM
It's the PS/2 Compatible Mouse. Double-click on that to open its properties, go to the Details tab, and select Hardware Ids from the drop-down list.

If the IDs have "STLC" in them, you have a Sentelic touchpad. If they have "SYN," you have a Synaptics.

Negative, Details only says PS/2 Compliant Mouse

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 04:43 AM
Negative, Details only says PS/2 Compliant Mouse
That's the "Device Description" (in the drop-down list). Select "Hardware Ids."

awarsoca
01-06-2012, 04:51 AM
That's the "Device Description" (in the drop-down list). Select "Hardware Ids."

DOH! ...thats fixed (c;

BrodyBoy
01-06-2012, 04:52 AM
Which one do you have?

(The driver isn't installed, BTW....that's why the info is so generic.)

awarsoca
01-06-2012, 04:56 AM
Which one do you have?

(The driver isn't installed, BTW....that's why the info is so generic.)

Synaptics, I went ahead and installed the driver for it.

Now to figure out if I should buy 2 generic batteries for the price of the one from ASUS LOL

awarsoca
01-06-2012, 04:58 AM
Here's another

Ack... Not letting me upload the other two... but here are plenty on a google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ROG+wallpaper&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ASUT_en___US461&site=webhp&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=iXIGT-afFrGnsQLzu6mQCg&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=558

Thanks for the link!

awarsoca
01-06-2012, 04:59 AM
I've looked around on the e-market for that G74 battery and have found none! They are currently a specialty of ASUS I guess...grab it here -> http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3924

I found a couple of sites. Takes a few pages to get like 2 or 3 aftermarket sites

awarsoca
01-06-2012, 05:11 AM
I ordered this battery http://www.laptopbatterymag.com/asus-g74sx.htm

XTR3M3
01-06-2012, 05:19 AM
that looks like a good deal i ordered a charger using my stores supplier... discounts! i wonder if asus plans on making an extended battery.. battery like a 16 cell or something.. for 4hours of b-life for us that dont have wall sockets in our class rooms..

awarsoca
01-08-2012, 02:24 AM
Fresh clean install complete but two issues to deal with:
First, intel centrino 6150 wimax driver..can't seem to the find one...suggestions?

Second, drive 2 was originally partitioned as 2 separate 232 GB drives. I opted to keep that but the install seems to have made one of thee a system partition. Explorer doesn't show it at all and the easier partition manager shows it with an asterisk. I see 4several partitions, recovery (25gb) os (450ish) 232gb non visible system and 232gb visible. Solutions?

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 02:29 AM
Fresh clean install complete but two issues to deal with:
First, intel centrino 6150 wimax driver..can't seem to the find one...suggestions?
Just use the latest Intel wi-fi driver....it works for all their cards. Don't install WIMAX unless you actually use WIMAX internet service.

Second, drive 2w/o wassup originally partitioned as w separate 232 GB drives. I opted to keep that but the install seems to have made one of thee a system partition. Explorer doesn't show it at all and the easier partition manager shows it with an asterisk. I see 4several partitions, recovery (25gb) os (450ish) 232gb non visible system and 232gb visible. Solutions?
Can you post a screenshot from Disk Management? It would be helpful to see what you have.

And how would you like it to be partitioned?

awarsoca
01-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Just use the latest Intel wi-fi driver....it works for all their cards. Don't install WIMAX unless you actually use WIMAX internet service.

Can you post a screenshot from Disk Management? It would be helpful to see what you have.

And how would you like it to be partitioned?

I did use the latest intel driver (Wireless_14.2.0.10_Ds64), still no joy )c:

Screenshot

I wanted it to read the missing drive as D, the second one as E and the DVD drive as F

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 05:19 AM
Hi...just got back.

So, what happens when you (try to) install the Intel driver?

awarsoca
01-08-2012, 05:33 AM
A little white and blue box pops up inthe middle of the screen and green dots circle around it and then it disappears

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Okay...that's the little "wait" icon as the Intel installer loads. It usually stops like that if the driver is already installed, or if it finds incompatible hardware.

Double-click on that Centrino 6150 entry in Device Manager to open its Properties box. Look in the "Drivers" tab and see what driver is listed there, and then look in the "Details" tab and select "Hardwre Ids" from the drop-down list....report back (or post a screenshot) of the hardware IDs listed there.

(I haven't forgotten about the disk partition issue....just looking at one thing at a time.)

awarsoca
01-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Okay...that's the little "wait" icon as the Intel installer loads. It usually stops like that if the driver is already installed, or if it finds incompatible hardware.

Double-click on that Centrino 6150 entry in Device Manager to open its Properties box. Look in the "Drivers" tab and see what driver is listed there, and then look in the "Details" tab and select "Hardwre Ids" from the drop-down list....report back (or post a screenshot) of the hardware IDs listed there.

(I haven't forgotten about the disk partition issue....just looking at one thing at a time.)

For the driver it says Provider Unknown, date and version not available and signed not digitally signed. Under hardware ID,

awarsoca
01-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Also, for the record, I did try uninstalling it, rebooting and reinstalling driver. No luck on that either

dstrakele
01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Did you try booting into Safe Mode for the installation? That will eliminate other running drivers that may potentially interfere with your installation.

Another option is remnants of previous installation attempts may be preventing your installation. Using Drive Sweeper in Safe Mode to attempt to remove remnants may be something to try, or using CCleaner to clean your registry.

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 07:46 PM
@awarsoca: Has that wireless card ever worked?

awarsoca
01-08-2012, 10:41 PM
@awarsoca: Has that wireless card ever worked?

It worked prior to claen install with the only ! in device manager being some microsoft Virtual WiFi miniport adapter #3 and there was a #4 that didn't have an exclamation (neither are in device manager now), just the one

It is currently working, i am typing via wireless right now

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
OOHHH! That explains it! In your earlier screenshot, I didn't even notice that you were showing a listing under "Other Devices." I thought we were looking at Network Adapters! This whole time, I thought you were saying your wi-fi wasn't working....but you did say WIMAX. Sorry I didn't catch that and save all the confusion.

What you're seeing is the unused WIMAX device built into your card....just disable it in Device Manager. (You obviously don't use WIMAX internet service.) This explains why the driver installer halted after reading your setup....it saw that the wi-fi driver is already installed.

OKay....one problem "solved." ;o) Shall we move on to the partitions?

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 11:07 PM
If you want to review the partition thing, could you post another shot from **** Management? The one I see in your other post is sort of cut off....I can't see all the partition info you were talking about.

awarsoca
01-08-2012, 11:12 PM
If you want to review the partition thing, could you post another shot from **** Management? The one I see in your other post is sort of cut off....I can't see all the partition info you were talking about.

Here you go

awarsoca
01-08-2012, 11:13 PM
OOHHH! That explains it! In your earlier screenshot, I didn't even notice that you were showing a listing under "Other Devices." I thought we were looking at Network Adapters! This whole time, I thought you were saying your wi-fi wasn't working....but you did say WIMAX. Sorry I didn't catch that and save all the confusion.

What you're seeing is the unused WIMAX device built into your card....just disable it in Device Manager. (You obviously don't use WIMAX internet service.) This explains why the driver installer halted after reading your setup....it saw that the wi-fi driver is already installed.

OKay....one problem "solved." ;o) Shall we move on to the partitions?

Only thing I dont understand is why it want an issue before )c:

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Only thing I dont understand is why it want an issue before )c:
It's not an issue, really.....just a device without a driver. It didn't show up like that before because the OEM installation had the WIMAX driver installed.

But it's actually better now. Rather than have an extra driver running.....for a device you don't use AT ALL...none of that stuff is on your machine. You can just disable the device and it's as if it's not even in your machine.

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 11:31 PM
OKay....I get what you're saying about the partitions. This is an easy fix. :)

First, you need to remove the current letters you don't like:

Right-click on the "SATA2" partition, and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
A dialog windows opens. Select the D: drive letter, and hit the "Remove" button
Remove the disk from your optical drive (if there's one in there)
Use the same procedure (as above) to remove the drive letter from the CD-ROM drive

Now, you need to manually add the drive letters you want:

Right-click on the "SATA1" partition and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
In the dialog window, click the "Add" button
Select D: drive letter from the drop down list, and hit "okay"
Repeat this procedure for SATA2 and the CD-ROM drive, assigning the letters you want

Tip: You can easily rename your partitions. Right-click on a partition, select "Properties," and fill in a new volume name. I just find those SATA1 and SATA2 labels that Asus gave them kind of lame!

awarsoca
01-08-2012, 11:40 PM
OKay....I get what you're saying about the partitions. This is an easy fix. :)

First, you need to remove the current letters you don't like:

Right-click on the "SATA2" partition, and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
A dialog windows opens. Select the D: drive letter, and hit the "Remove" button
Remove the disk from your optical drive (if there's one in there)
Use the same procedure (as above) to remove the drive letter from the CD-ROM drive

Now, you need to manually add the drive letters you want:

Right-click on the "SATA1" partition and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
In the dialog window, click the "Add" button
Select D: drive letter from the drop down list, and hit "okay"
Repeat this procedure for SATA2 and the CD-ROM drive, assigning the letters you want

Tip: You can easily rename your partitions. Right-click on a partition, select "Properties," and fill in a new volume name. I just find those SATA1 and SATA2 labels that Asus gave them kind of lame!

Done and changed. However D does not show up in windows explorer still )c:

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Done and changed. However D does not show up in windows explorer still )c:
Can you right-click on it and select "Mark Partition as Active"?

awarsoca
01-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Can you right-click on it and select "Mark Partition as Active"?

No. If the boot order matters, the DVD is position 2, the divided HD is position 1 and the OS drive is position 0 and that is the boot order in BIOS

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 11:54 PM
No. If the boot order matters, the DVD is position 2, the divided HD is position 1 and the OS drive is position 0 and that is the boot order in BIOS
When you go to boot up, do you get a boot manager window that (seems to) ask you to choose between two different Windows 7 installations?

awarsoca
01-09-2012, 12:20 AM
When you go to boot up, do you get a boot manager window that (seems to) ask you to choose between two different Windows 7 installations?

Not at all

BrodyBoy
01-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Okay.....don't be alarmed, it's not a big deal if you didn't have data on it.....but I think you installed Windows on the wrong partition.....

I think you put it on one of the data partitions on your 2nd HDD, rather than where it was before.

awarsoca
01-09-2012, 01:01 AM
Okay.....don't be alarmed, it's not a big deal if you didn't have data on it.....but I think you installed Windows on the wrong partition.....

I think you put it on one of the data partitions on your 2nd HDD, rather than where it was before.

Possible, but I know I selected the largest drive to place it on in setup. BTW :

BrodyBoy
01-09-2012, 01:24 AM
Okay. In your last image, I can't see which partition it is, but it appears one of them is still not active.

Do you have data on your 2nd HDD yet? Or is it still just the empty SATA1 and SATA2 partitions?

awarsoca
01-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Okay. In your last image, I can't see which partition it is, but it appears one of them is still not active.

Do you have data on your 2nd HDD yet? Or is it still just the empty SATA1 and SATA2 partitions?

Empty on SDATA1 and 2. I've only added anything on the OS drive.

Mind you, I am not opposed to another clean install, would just prefer not to do that again LOL.

OH and the ATK didn't fix my back light on the keyboard as I had hoped (yes i've done FCN F4) Hopefully BIOS Flash to 203 when the battery gets here will help that

BrodyBoy
01-09-2012, 01:33 AM
I don't think you should have to do a clean install again. Here's what I would do to resolve the partition issues:

Delete the exiting partitions on the 2nd HDD. Both of them.
Reboot, to make sure that Wndows has all the boot files it needs.
(If it has any issues booting, you can use the Setup disk to do a quick Start Up Repair.)
After reboot, go into Disk Management and re-partition disk 2.
You can make two 250Gb partitions just like it has now, or you can make one big one, or some other combination that makes sense to you.

BrodyBoy
01-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Hopefully BIOS Flash to 203 when the battery gets here will help that
Is this that floor model that came with no battery? (Sorry...I have a hard time keeping all of our laptops straight in my head!)

awarsoca
01-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Is this that floor model that came with no battery? (Sorry...I have a hard time keeping all of our laptops straight in my head!)

LOL yes. ~shrug~ for $500 it's worth the hassles LOL

awarsoca
01-09-2012, 01:37 AM
I don't think you should have to do a clean install again. Here's what I would do to resolve the partition issues:

Delete the exiting partitions on the 2nd HDD. Both of them.
Reboot, to make sure that Wndows has all the boot files it needs.
(If it has any issues booting, you can use the Setup disk to do a quick Start Up Repair.)
After reboot, go into Disk Management and re-partition disk 2.
You can make two 250Gb partitions just like it has now, or you can make one big one, or some other combination that makes sense to you.

Can't delete SDATA1, its not an option nevermind, by deleting SDATA2 and then exploring off of SDATA1 i can see it now. ~shrug~ MS quirkiness i guess

BrodyBoy
01-09-2012, 02:01 AM
So you successfully deleted both data partitions on 2nd HDD?

awarsoca
01-09-2012, 02:19 AM
So you successfully deleted both data partitions on 2nd HDD?

No just the second half of the partition. Could not delete the other one, it wasn't allowed. No matter that issue is resolved.
I can use both partitons now (c:

BrodyBoy
01-09-2012, 02:24 AM
No just the second half of the partition. Could not delete the other one, it wasn't allowed. No matter that issue is resolved.
I can use both partitons now (c:But what isn't resolved is that part of your Windows installation is on the 2nd HDD. It's better to take care of that now, than later on when you have data on them. You don't HAVE to, to use the computer....obviously....but it's a cleaner installation if all Windows system files are on the one system drive.

FYI: If you do decide to address it later, it'll just be a matter of repairng the Windows start up, if necessary, and re-partitioning the 2nd HDD.

awarsoca
01-09-2012, 02:42 AM
But what isn't resolved is that part of your Windows installation is on the 2nd HDD. It's better to take care of that now, than later on when you have data on them. You don't HAVE to, to use the computer....obviously....but it's a cleaner installation if all Windows system files are on the one system drive.

FYI: If you do decide to address it later, it'll just be a matter of repairng the Windows start up, if necessary, and re-partitioning the 2nd HDD.

Well since I can't delete it, that means I'll have to use partiton wizard to delete it and then use the win7 iso to do a repair?

BrodyBoy
01-09-2012, 06:41 AM
No...you wouldn't have to go that far. You can delete it outside Windows. For example, you could go into Windows Setup, as far as the partition table, and delete it there. (Or if you're familiar with Diskprt, you can do it even earlier in Setup.)

awarsoca
01-09-2012, 07:01 PM
No...you wouldn't have to go that far. You can delete it outside Windows. For example, you could go into Windows Setup, as far as the partition table, and delete it there. (Or if you're familiar with Diskprt, you can do it even earlier in Setup.)

BAH! BOOTMGR was on that partiton. Not sure whether it was the lack of coffee when I tried this am or if it was just MS being a PITA, but the repair did not take. SOlved it by doing a complete clean install again (c; In the process of diung reinstall

BrodyBoy
01-09-2012, 07:21 PM
That's too bad.

Doesn't hurt to re-install, but in the future, just so you know, you can do a start-up repair that will put the boot files back where they belong. If you get a "Boot Manager is missing" error at start up, use a Windows recovery disk or a Windows Setup disk, which both have repair routines that will fix it.

awarsoca
01-10-2012, 12:52 AM
That's too bad.

Doesn't hurt to re-install, but in the future, just so you know, you can do a start-up repair that will put the boot files back where they belong. If you get a "Boot Manager is missing" error at start up, use a Windows recovery disk or a Windows Setup disk, which both have repair routines that will fix it.

Thanks for all your help!

Hopefully last question, backlight....wait til I flash to 203the or is there another option?

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Thanks for all your help!

Hopefully last question, backlight....wait til I flash to 203the or is there another option?
Yeah, BIOS 203 and ATK 00014 should take care of it.

tkd_ron
01-25-2012, 05:38 AM
You can also turn wimax off in the BIOS and windows won't look for the driver and it will no longer appear in device manager :) welcome to ROG.

BrodyBoy
01-25-2012, 05:42 AM
WIMAX is built into the Intel WLAN card. I'm pretty sure there is no way to differentially disable it in the BIOS. The best bet is to simply not install the WIMAX driver.

Old thread, BTW....the issues have already been resolved.

tkd_ron
01-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Oh ok sorry about that, I just had the same thing happen with my best buy g74sx were the wimax showed up in other dnetwork devices and I don't use it so I went into the BIoS setup at start up and there was a setting that allows the wimax at least on my bbk-7 to be turned off there.

BrodyBoy
01-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Interesting....where exactly is that in the BIOS?

tkd_ron
01-25-2012, 06:00 AM
I just went back and took a look so that hopefully I am not screwing something up and it was under i/o security then under that there is usb security and a switch that locks or unlocks wimax ,back when I did a clean install I had the same issue with other device showing wimax after locking it wimax no longer appears in my device mngr ,only the wifi ,hope I have messed something up eak.:)

BrodyBoy
01-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Don't worry, I'm sure you didn't mess anything up. :)

That's interesting....I'm familiar with the I/O security page and I've seen WLAN and LAN options, but your BB configuration must have a different set of switches. Good to know. :)

I'd love to see what happens in the BIOS if an owner swaps out that card for one that doesn't have WIMAX. I assume the BIOS must be "smart" enough to detect the hardware change and re-configure the BIOS options.

Anyway, good info. Thanks for sharing it. :)

awarsoca
01-31-2012, 08:41 PM
The BIOS trick did fix my wimax. it doesn't show up. YAY.

I still have no backlighting Fn F3/F4 do nothing. I did confirm F3 and F4 work otherwise. I have BIOS 203 i uninstalled the ATK pkg, rebooted, reinstalled the ATK *.*14 and rebooted and nothing. Am I overlooking something?
Thx
Clint

awarsoca
02-07-2012, 01:50 AM
I still have no backlighting Fn F3/F4 do nothing. I did confirm F3 and F4 work otherwise. I have BIOS 203 i uninstalled the ATK pkg, rebooted, reinstalled the ATK *.*14 and rebooted and nothing. Am I overlooking something?
Thx
Clint

Any thoughts on this?