PDA

View Full Version : Maximus IX Hero cpu temp spikes and fan cycling

DutifulServant
02-01-2017, 05:23 AM
I have a new build with a temperature issue that is driving me nuts. I think it's the i7-7700k itself that is the issue. But here goes...

Intel i7-7700k
Maximus IX Hero
Corsair LTX 32GB DDR4-2666
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
Asus Strix GTX 1080

Only adjustment to motherboard is RAM set to XMP DDR-2666. I did try resetting to defaults with no change. I wonder if "sync all cores" may be a factor.

My heatsink fan is cycling up and down. Obviously, this happens when the processor has activity, but the frequency with which it does is an annoyance. This does not appear to be normal to me.

I figured out even simply opening a file causes a <1 sec temperature spike between 25-31degrees that is causing the heatsink fans to spin up. In other words, idle temp is 29-30 celsius. Temperature spikes to 60-61 Celsius. Then returns to 30C.

For example, I open a new browser window, fans cycle up for spike and return to normal operating speed. I start playing a video on the web page, fans cycle up and return to normal operating speed for the rest of the video. So temperatures for example would be idle 30 Celsius, spike 60 C and then 30- 32 C while video plays.
Not the best example, but I hope it gets the point across.

Prime95 blend test gives max temp of 71C.

Unless I manually set the fans to run a 80%, which is louder than I want and unnecessary, I have this constant up and down with my heatsink fan.

I have checked and reseated my heatsink (Noctua NH-D15. I contacted Intel, but they were not much help... Ugh, now I'm wondering if the random issues I'm having with Windows 10 are due to the processor too.

Any help is appreciated!

Raja@ASUS
02-01-2017, 07:10 AM
You can control the fan curve and fan spin-up/spin-down times via Fan Xpert or the UEFI. You should be able to make adjustments to prevent rapid fluctuations.

Amsterdam
02-01-2017, 07:16 AM
I have the exact same issue here. My idle temp is around 25c which I think is nice. When I start my browser and go to YouTube everything goes fine, until I move the movie forward slider. The temperature will jump to 55c, and goes immediately back to the idle temp of 25c. I really don’t have a clue why this will happen.
To prevent my fans making an annoying sound I ran the Fan Xpert 4 software and fine tune the fan curve. Use also the option ‘Fan Spin Up Time’.

Unfortunately, even when using the Fan Xpert, and a lot of fine tunning i've seen that the software has also a problem with handling such sort spike temps.

I hope someone can explain what’s really going on here. Maybe a bios update to filter those very short (1 second) high temps the cpu can give?

DutifulServant
02-01-2017, 08:56 AM
Amsterdam: Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one! It's been driving me bonkers!

Raja: I tried several different fan settings in the UEFI, but I still end up with the fan issue. The only way to make the fan cycling noise unnoticeable is to set the fan at a constant high speed (loud). There's no reason for the fans to run any faster than silent when just browsing the web.

I will try working with Fan Xpert some more. I don't remember a fan spin up/down time option. I adjusted the curve plot points - temperature and speed. Will look later today when I get the chance.

Thanks for the responses!

Raja@ASUS
02-01-2017, 09:22 AM
You have the spin up and down option in both Fan Xpert and firmware. The other alternative is to save fan profiles in Fan Xpert and load the right one for the type of tasks you are going to perform on the PC.

DutifulServant
02-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Well, I was about to give up and I ran the "Fan Tuning" option one last time... darn thing finally worked!

So fans appear straightened out, but now I have to figure out which driver, software or piece of hardware is causing Windows 10 to hang randomly.

Thanks for the help!

MrAgapiGC
02-03-2017, 11:43 AM
Well, I was about to give up and I ran the "Fan Tuning" option one last time... darn thing finally worked!

So fans appear straightened out, but now I have to figure out which driver, software or piece of hardware is causing Windows 10 to hang randomly.

Thanks for the help!

Until now and for all the findings inside windows 10, (I am not a windows savvy guy, but I am on OSX)I came son the same conclusion. It is Windows thing. Some drivers can be change with out being connected to the internet. that was the way how I did put to work the Sonic Suite. Please come back again on your findings.*

DutifulServant
02-13-2017, 03:52 AM
Until now and for all the findings inside windows 10, (I am not a windows savvy guy, but I am on OSX)I came son the same conclusion. It is Windows thing. Some drivers can be change with out being connected to the internet. that was the way how I did put to work the Sonic Suite. Please come back again on your findings.*

I decided to take a break from troubleshooting and just use the computer for a bit - play some games. My preliminary notes are that the ASUS software can cause problems with Windows 10.

GPU Tweak II definitely isn't liked. The Monitor program rarely loads (with startup or manually) and half the time GPU Tweak II doesn't load with startup.

My issues were worst when ASUS AURA was installed. Since I uninstalled it my system freezes have dropped considerably. Now my computer hangs most with web browsers. I have a recurring Microsoft Edge error. As I often have Edge open with Firefox and Chrome, Firefox and Chrome will hang too. Windows 10 does not like the USB ports and card readers built into my older Dell Monitor so I get a driver error and a USB error about that every so often.

As I said, I took a break from troubleshooting. Eventually, when I have the time and want to dig into the problems, I will. Likely, I will do a clean re-install.

MrAgapiGC
02-13-2017, 10:32 PM
I decided to take a break from troubleshooting and just use the computer for a bit - play some games. My preliminary notes are that the ASUS software can cause problems with Windows 10.

GPU Tweak II definitely isn't liked. The Monitor program rarely loads (with startup or manually) and half the time GPU Tweak II doesn't load with startup.

My issues were worst when ASUS AURA was installed. Since I uninstalled it my system freezes have dropped considerably. Now my computer hangs most with web browsers. I have a recurring Microsoft Edge error. As I often have Edge open with Firefox and Chrome, Firefox and Chrome will hang too. Windows 10 does not like the USB ports and card readers built into my older Dell Monitor so I get a driver error and a USB error about that every so often.

As I said, I took a break from troubleshooting. Eventually, when I have the time and want to dig into the problems, I will. Likely, I will do a clean re-install.

Tel me more. I did see a issue on the web browser. but i was thinking that was my internet provider. Let me check using other browers. I do not have card readers, so i can not check that.

Kopernikus
02-17-2017, 03:29 PM
I have the exact same issue here. My idle temp is around 25c which I think is nice. When I start my browser and go to YouTube everything goes fine, until I move the movie forward slider. The temperature will jump to 55c, and goes immediately back to the idle temp of 25c. I really don’t have a clue why this will happen.
To prevent my fans making an annoying sound I ran the Fan Xpert 4 software and fine tune the fan curve. Use also the option ‘Fan Spin Up Time’.

Unfortunately, even when using the Fan Xpert, and a lot of fine tunning i've seen that the software has also a problem with handling such sort spike temps.

I hope someone can explain what’s really going on here. Maybe a bios update to filter those very short (1 second) high temps the cpu can give?

@Amsterdam
I've got the same problem, cpu idles between 21 and 25c and jumps to 55c somethimes and goed almost immediately back to 25c.
Played around with Fan Xpert 4 & bios but can't seem to find a solution, maybe set the fans to a fixed RMP until a bios update solves it?

Grtz

Maxamilus
02-21-2017, 11:40 PM
Going to add my name to the list. Not a Hero board, but the Strix Z270G board. Random momentary temp spikes cause the cpu fan to ramp up considerably, despite having long fan spin up and down times set in both the BIOS and in AI Suite.

JoergH
02-22-2017, 07:51 AM
Same here with a IX Hero...
Fans pushs up für 1 or 2 Seconds, then back to "idle"... when i open youtube and start a vid for example or open a PDF...

Maxamilus
02-23-2017, 12:15 AM
Curious.. anyone with this ramping issue... are you using the Extreme Quiet option within Fan Xpert? I disabled that, and I haven't had any random ramp ups over the last day. Min fan speeds are a bit higher though. Not sure if extreme quiet mode uses some magical combo DC/PWM control to bring it lower. I've noticed that when cpu temps spike past the upper limit of that extreme quiet zone, then fans seem to ramp up drastically.

Turning off Extreme Quiet, I get a more regulated fan ramp up. Still not sure if the fan spin up times are working though.

Amsterdam
02-23-2017, 07:39 AM
Curious.. anyone with this ramping issue... are you using the Extreme Quiet option within Fan Xpert? I disabled that, and I haven't had any random ramp ups over the last day. Min fan speeds are a bit higher though. Not sure if extreme quiet mode uses some magical combo DC/PWM control to bring it lower. I've noticed that when cpu temps spike past the upper limit of that extreme quiet zone, then fans seem to ramp up drastically.

Turning off Extreme Quiet, I get a more regulated fan ramp up. Still not sure if the fan spin up times are working though.

Interesting information Maxamilus, I think we’ve discovered a new bug/problem.
The problem I can’t test it, because I don’t have this option – any more -. I had it, but after some fan tunings the option is completely gone.
On Google I found a screenshot with this option: Can you confirm if this is what you mean?

http://s29.postimg.org/hqfndj6jr/cpu_fan_xpert.png

As I wrote earlier the fan tuning results are different every time the run it. Maybe based on the fan spinning speeds it will turn this option on- or off.

Kopernikus
02-23-2017, 11:14 AM

Interesting finding, I'll test it this evening and report back.

Maxamilus
02-24-2017, 01:47 AM
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I'm sure most people don't have a fixed rpm until 80c. Here's another example. As soon as temps went past the shaded blue area (45ish deg in this screenshot) my fans shot up to 1400-1900 rpm.

http://i.imgur.com/HeGAJvU.png

JustinThyme
02-24-2017, 03:43 AM
A lot of this is caused by the CPU thermal properties. Intel has been using TIM that's about the consistency of toothpaste which results in crappy thermal conductivity and seemingly unnecessary temp spikes. Makes for a PITA especially when using an HSF combo.*

If you are using a watercooling solution the easiest way is to not use CPU temp for the fan speed reference and using liquid temp instead as the radiator and fans are cooling the liquid which in turn cools the water block which in turn cools the CPU. The only thing I can offer is using a ramp up and down setting so it can somewhat compensate for the spikes, use an external fan controller and lastly that is probably the best solution is delid the CPU and give it the liquid ultra treatment. Problem with the last is while it improves the thermal profile and overclockability tremendously, when the IHS comes off the warranty goes with it.*

Maxamilus
02-24-2017, 04:11 AM
The spin up/down delays would in theory prevent fan spikes due to 1 second temp fluctuations, right? It doesn't. Even if set on a 12 second delay. I have this set in both the bios and fan xpert. It doesn't seem to help. Disabling the "Extreme Quiet" mode seems to prevent the fan speed spikes and allows a more linear control scheme, but the spin up/down delays are still non-functioning for me. Perhaps I don't understand how those features actually work.

Amsterdam
02-24-2017, 07:13 AM
The spin up/down delays would in theory prevent fan spikes due to 1 second temp fluctuations, right? It doesn't. Even if set on a 12 second delay. I have this set in both the bios and fan xpert. It doesn't seem to help. Disabling the "Extreme Quiet" mode seems to prevent the fan speed spikes and allows a more linear control scheme, but the spin up/down delays are still non-functioning for me. Perhaps I don't understand how those features actually work.

The fan spin up/down delay works for me most of the time. Not always. But I really like to know when the software gives the "Extreme Quiet" option and when not.

My settings:

http://i.imgur.com/jOCRF2W.png

xherics
02-26-2017, 09:23 AM
I have the same exact problem with lag spikes when the fans are rising up for few seconds.

I did not realize it yet, just during the last few days, when I used photoshop Lightroom a lot. My MX IX Code randomly gives me that fan-lag, even I used the FAN expert test and calibration in the BIOS.

Maxamilus
03-06-2017, 03:57 AM
Has anyone tried the 0801 bios to see if this addresses this?

JustinThyme
03-06-2017, 04:15 AM
Want to fix it? Buy an Aquaero and don't look back. Limitless possibilities for air and water with a desktop display that you can customize to see whats going on at all times. I wont ever put AI suite on my machine ever again. Had a few bad experiences with it. Fan Expert works some of the time but not all of the time and other parts of it will kill you BIOS. Already been down that road. You can set it up in bios but then have to continuously enter the set up to tweak it. Aquaero software has the best control curves Ive seen and you can reference the speed off of whatever you want. In my liquid cooled system the rad fans reference the coolant temp and case inlet fans reference the internal case temp. Never any spikes. I load it up and as the coolant temp rises the fans slowly ramp up.

Raja@ASUS
03-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Another Aquaero user here. They are the gold standard for controllers.

schoolofmonkey
03-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Another Aquaero user here. They are the gold standard for controllers.

I just bought a IX Hero, and I'm having similar issues, but mine maxes the CPU out just moving a file Window across the screen.
Tried everything to stop it, I've never seen it before, my 6900k/Strix doesn't do it, the cpu stays at idles speeds doing anything in Windows.
Heck my wifes 4790k/VII Hero doesn't do it.

I'm on a balanced power profile, it does it on stock clocks, even with optimal defaults.

Here's what I mean.
https://youtu.be/k1ABTlH7DSY

Raja@ASUS
03-08-2017, 01:24 PM
What model of mouse? I've seen high DPI mice load the CPU when moved erratically like that.

schoolofmonkey
03-08-2017, 01:32 PM
What model of mouse? I've seen high DPI mice load the CPU when moved erratically like that.

Now that's a good point, it's a Corsair M65 Gaming mouse.
It certainly makes the clocks jump up just moving it around...

Wow, I never saw that on the x99 machine (6900k/Strix)

ikrananka
03-08-2017, 02:42 PM
I just bought a IX Hero, and I'm having similar issues, but mine maxes the CPU out just moving a file Window across the screen.
Tried everything to stop it, I've never seen it before, my 6900k/Strix doesn't do it, the cpu stays at idles speeds doing anything in Windows.
Heck my wifes 4790k/VII Hero doesn't do it.

I'm on a balanced power profile, it does it on stock clocks, even with optimal defaults.

Here's what I mean.
https://youtu.be/k1ABTlH7DSY

I see a similar thing on my IX Hero/i7-7700k system. I have a Razer DeathAdder 2013 mouse and jiggling it around leads to one of my cores jumping to 90% utilitsation with intense and prolonged mouse jiggling. However, overall utilisation only peaks around 2 to 3%. Just thought I'd let you know you're not alone :)

schoolofmonkey
03-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Well disabling the HPET timer stopped it from boosting all the way to 4.7Ghz every time, clocks do go up still, but depending on how much you move at worst it'll boost to 4Ghz on one or 2 cores for a second, just can't use the x265 Benchmark which was the reason I enabled it in the first place.
It still boosts to 4.7Ghz on heavy loads though (gaming, Cinebench etc..).

Run from a Administrator Command Prompt:

To disable HPET in Windows run the command... bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
To enable HPET as the only timer run the command... bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

isaacc
03-10-2017, 05:42 PM
There is a very recent thread growing at Intel's support forum regarding this temperature spiking on the 7700 and 7700K processors:

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k? (https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728)

A lot of people with new systems are reporting this very same problem including the associated problem that the sudden temperature spikes are causing their fans to continually spin up and down.

Intel seems to be very responsive, is seemingly taking the problem seriously, and has started an investigation.

The problem is happening with several motherboards including, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and Asrock. The common thread is a 7700 or 7700K CPU.

One poster from Intel posted an issue about Windows update overwriting certain chipset files. The thread posters seem to have ignored this post but I wonder if it is part of Intel's investigation because I find this post interesting. It may well be that the problem is that the CPU temperature sensor is not communicating properly and reporting erratically.

Or, it may well be a problem with the 7700 CPU.

I downloaded SpeedFan, a software fan controller to see if it has the facility to help with the fan cycling. It has a property called "Hysteresis" but it seems to work in the other direction. It prevents a fan from spinning down until the temperature has lowered a significant amount. What is required here is a mechanism to prevent fans from immediately spinning up for a user-defined number of seconds.

Intel is apparently working on this on their side. What would be great is a UEFI update that includes a new property for the fan controllers that prevents fans from spinning up for a user-defined number of seconds. It doesn't address the real underlying problem but I think it would solve the problem of the fan cycling.

vbr2701
03-24-2017, 10:50 PM
I had the same problem with a Maximus IX Hero and 7700k @ 5Ghz. It only happened when there were short bursts of activity from idle. In HWInfo64 I noticed that only one of my chassis fans was going to 100% and sometimes that fan spun down to 0. I was able to fix it by disabling Extreme Quiet mode in FanXpert (the irony), so maybe the motherboard is trying to start the fan when there's increased temps and then it overcompensates when the fan doesn't respond right away.

Klute_Onren
03-24-2017, 11:29 PM
Has anyone tried the 0801 bios to see if this addresses this?

IX Hero here 7700k@5ghz 1.28vcore and I had this issue until I updated to 0801 BIOS

I'm on a custom loop but all 6 fans are on the cpu header. I still can't adjust fan speed very well but it's not all over the place. I assumed it was something to do with my 3xAF120 3xSP120 or the fan hub or something but maybe it's something with this machine. At any rate I'm running a great clock and I'm not turned off by waiting on updates or tweaking so I love the board.

Links
03-26-2017, 06:37 PM
Say hello to the new member in our "Spiky bob" club - me :(

Feel like this started after some BIOS update...

Here is the Intel's forum thread:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728

Maxamilus
05-03-2017, 12:49 AM
So, now that intel has an official response (CPU is performing as expected, talk to MB mfg for fan speed control)...

Has anyone been able to address this?

I've personally uninstalled AI Suite 3 and relied on the BIOS fan control. It helps a lot but I still get random fan speed boosts that last for quite some time, despite the temps reporting low as well has having significantly long ramp up delays.

Anyone have an suggest fan control settings?

TheFyke
05-03-2017, 03:02 AM
I set up my CPU Radiator Fans to fixed RPM mode around 1200 rpms. I noticed that during normal gaming/computer use this speed is quiet and keeps everything cool enough. I plan on doing a full custom water cooled loop some point in the future and at that point I'll probably base my fans off of water temperature instead of CPU temps.

Legolas
05-08-2017, 09:27 PM
To avoid temperature spikes, suggest maximum fan speeds for situations when temperature spiking. If water cooling is present, I force the water cooling fans to go maximum or performance mode to compensate for high temperature. I had this thermal issues even with 6700, so I had to spread the thermal paste evenly on the cpu to make sure it has good thermal contact with the water cooling/HSF solution.

flemorj
05-10-2017, 04:27 PM
I wonder for those getting these spikes if they are using >DDR4 2400. The memory controller on the cpu gets overclocked when you run faster ram. So when loading data to and from ram it would spike temps faster than at stock speeds. I installed CAM this weeked to see if my ix hero/i7-7700k is spiking. So far i do not see it. I use ddr4 2400, i wanted a stock machine in my build.

Legolas
05-11-2017, 10:21 PM
I actually put a high speed fan on top of the RAM to disispate the heat so it will not heat up the area around the processor.

YoMaltes
02-05-2018, 12:59 PM
I had the maximus hero VIII for over a year with oc very stable of 4,7Ghz and temps from 30c to 70c full load without spikes. 2 sata ports got broken and I sued the guarantee but this time I got the Maximus IX thinking was better board. Now with the same exact PC and cooler and using the maximus hero IX I cant find stability over 4,5Ghz due to overheat and temps are 50c to 90c and even crash for overheat, the voltage is 1.235 because when it was auto it gets 1.350 and is when the temperatures are even more crazy. Also I get those crazy spikes and temperature goes from 50c to 90c in one second and go back again to 50c, never happen with maximus hero VIII. I updated bios and chipset and helped a bit but still this board performance much worse that maximus hero VIII and I will send it back.