PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G74 unnecessary programs/processes at start-up

Nudie_Novak
01-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Hello everyone, and good morning/afternoon/evening!

I'd like to start out by saying that I've previously owned an ASUS (it was a G72, hence why I came back for more!). I currently own the G74 (best buy model) that I've had for about 3 months now. It's a beautiful piece of technology that runs just about everything at a fascinating pace, makes it look amazing while doing so, and the sound...well the speakers sound like they're facing the opposite direction, while simultaneously submerged in water, but that's okay!

On to the real problem: Unnecessary programs/processes at start-up. I've looked at several other threads, but they all seem to point me in the same direction. Whether it's a site about certain unnecessary programs (which nearly 60% of said programs aren't located on my computer anyway) or a site that simply tells me to disable everything, it's not specifically what I'm looking for.

Now perhaps I'm a little greedy, or lazy...or both, but I'm looking for a more detailed guide. What to enable, and disable, that won't mess with any of the following: integrity of the computer itself, my themes (I like my dark purple toolbar...), and my internet. I like having hotkeys and such, but they're not so very necessary. I don't know if I could disable the backlighting of my keyboard, but I don't really want to so let's keep that out too.

The reason for doing this: My computer runs fairly cool, even in a boiling hot room (I live in New York, it's fairly chilly out so the windows are closed and the heat is on full blast), but I'd like it to run cooler, if at all possible. That, and I'm running anywhere from 95-108 processes at a time! My old computer ran 53, and that seemed to slow it down, so I was hoping I could at least turn off 20 or so (i'd even settle for 10...).

Thank you in advance,
Nudie PokéNudie Novak

fuzon1337
01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Hi

You could look at this forum about BLOATWARE ( http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html) that you don't need (P4G and ATK hotkeys are important for your notebook to work as it should)

Also you could download CCLEANER ( http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) and run the register in that program then it would clean old register files that you don't need any more :)

dstrakele
01-06-2012, 04:22 PM
You don't need Power4Gear. You can configure any of its power profiles in Windows.

A clean Windows installation is the best way to reduce the number of processes and avoid any application remnants left in the registry. That will not necessarily make you run cooler, however.

Since I had the available disk space, I chose to dedicate 60 GB to a clean Windows 7 installation while retaining the ASUS Bloatware OS instance in a dual Windows 7 boot configuration. This gives me the option to try the more recent beta drivers and have the redundancy to immediately boot into a working Win 7 instance if problems occur and I don't have time to troubleshoot.

It proved worthwhile yesterday when my daughter asked me to send her some pictures and videos I've taken for a college project. The total amount of files exceeded 2GB, so I couldn't email it. I simply booted into the ASUS Bloatware OS and uploaded the files to ASUS WebStorage.

You can also use partition imaging software to accomplish the same thing, but I doubt I would've reimaged just for that simple file transfer.

chrsplmr
01-06-2012, 04:57 PM
If you google BlackViper..you will also find the most extensive services tweak guides on the net..in my view..
for all os's......best of luck.c.

JRd1st
01-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Black Viper's links are in this post (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s) that used to be a sticky.

Helios
01-06-2012, 10:49 PM
just a question about power4gear you can supposedly limit the cpu processing power, is it just for show or is it actually more functional than the windows power control

i only ask because although i like to game, i also like to be portable and value battery life for when im just working in dreamworks or web browsing

dstrakele
01-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Power4Gear just configures the Windows Power Options. You have the same ability within Windows to limit the Maximum and Minimum CPU States in Advanced Power Settings. You can configure your own Power Profiles, just like P4G. The only difference is you switch them from Control Panel, rather than pushing the ROG button.

Power Settings is a two-edged sword. What you give to extend battery life, you take away in gaming performance. For light browsing, you can certainly get some battery time increase without much sacrifice. That big LCD screen sucks up a lot of juice, so limiting brightness and shortening the inactivity time to turn off the display would probably be more effective than limiting CPU states, since you won't be pushing the processor anyways.

Keep the Brody Stability Principle in mind when setting up your laptop. That is - the stability of a given system is inversely proportional to the number of ASUS applications installed.

WhirledNews
01-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Do a clean install.

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Keep the Brody Stability Principle in mind when setting up your laptop. That is - the stability of a given system is inversely proportional to the number of ASUS applications installed.
LOL!! I love it! :o)

AQUASTEVAE
01-07-2012, 01:00 AM

funny but trrue!!!

dstrakele
01-07-2012, 01:36 AM
The mathmatics are simple, elegant, and predictive of real world observational data, just like any good theory.

PILGRIM
01-07-2012, 01:47 AM
...Keep the Brody Stability Principle in mind when setting up your laptop. That is - the stability of a given system is inversely proportional to the number of ASUS applications installed.

+1

"Brodyism" in action- positively influencing everyone!

Nudie_Novak
01-07-2012, 03:19 AM
Hi

You could look at this forum about BLOATWARE ( http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html) that you don't need (P4G and ATK hotkeys are important for your notebook to work as it should)

Also you could download CCLEANER ( http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) and run the register in that program then it would clean old register files that you don't need any more :)

I have CCLEANER and I love it. I run the registry cleaner every other day or so (it always finds a file or two broken). I know it also has a program deletion utility, but I find that it's a bit extreme with it's selections. It seems to think that just because I haven't used a program in the past two weeks, that it should simply be erased. o-o

If you google BlackViper..you will also find the most extensive services tweak guides on the net..in my view..
for all os's......best of luck.c.

I've looked at BlackViper before as well, but I was scared. o_o; All the stuff that it lists just went over my head, and I got tired of reading after like five minutes. Granted, I was running on no sleep...so perhaps I'll give it another go.

Do a clean install.

Life simply isn't that easy sometimes. As I've said, this computers been mine for around three months now. It would take a god awful long time for me to section away everything I actually wanted onto a hard drive, clean install (I don't have the discs for this either... Unless there's another way. I'm not extremely tech savvy, but if you point me in the right direction, I can handle it).

Thanks again guys, I'll hop on some of these ideas and get back with you on some results.
~Nudie Novak

fostert
01-07-2012, 03:43 AM
80-110 processes at boot is an insane number! I boot with ATK only plus the windows stuff, and I'm running 40 at boot. If I am benching I kill everything through the windows task mangler and run at lean 30 processes.

You absolutely should do a clean install. Uninstalling this number of programs is going to leave ghost garbage in your registry, and forgotten directories and log files on your drive, and sometimes mystery processes that run that you don't even know what they were for (Kodak software is terrible for this).

I find that reducing the number of processes running does reduce the idle temperature too. For example, in Linux when I'm running X windows (and gdm) my G74/core i7 2630QM idles at ~38 deg C in a 21C room. Kill X and gdm, plus a few other processes, and the idle reduces to 35C.

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 03:56 AM
Life simply isn't that easy sometimes. As I've said, this computers been mine for around three months now. It would take a god awful long time for me to section away everything I actually wanted onto a hard drive, clean install (I don't have the discs for this either... Unless there's another way. I'm not extremely tech savvy, but if you point me in the right direction, I can handle it).

Thanks again guys, I'll hop on some of these ideas and get back with you on some results.
~Nudie Novak
I understand....once I've been using a computer for awhile, I hate the thought of re-installing everything on it. I'm actually getting ready to do a clean install on my "workhorse" laptop, and I kind of dread it. Just so much stuff on there to keep track of.

But, that said...if you DO think you'd want to do a clean install, moving your stuff is probably the hardest and most tedious part. You can download the Windows installer and all the drivers you'd need, ahead of time, and have a nice minty-fresh installation in an hour or two. Of course....you'd have to re-install all your programs after that...but let's not dwell....

fostert
01-07-2012, 04:01 AM
I know it is a pain, and I dread doing it to when its time comes, but all windows OS flavours in past eventually needed a reinstall anyways, so I guess I've learned to accept it. Its worth it though, not the least of which for the amount of potential down time you'll avoid in the future once your bloated and fragmented filesystem system reaches "overbloat" where windows' own limits to cope are exceeded.

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 04:04 AM
Yes, I'm well aware of this.....that's why I do it regularly. But there's no way around it- on a heavily-used computer, it's a major PITA.

fostert
01-07-2012, 04:08 AM
Sigh...Does anyone else here miss the simple days of DOS? ;)

dstrakele
01-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Once you get installing your applications to the new Windows 7 installation, just start with the ones you use most often. You may find you really don't need all the apps you've had installed previously.

Another option is to get a utility like Acronis True Image Home and create an image of your current system (you'll need the available disk space to store it), but that can be a new external drive if necessary. Once you've created the image, you can reformat your drives and begin the clean Windows 7 installation.

If you run out of time to install all your apps, you can save this new system image, then use Acronis to reload your old Windows 7 image with everything already installed. Wait till you have more time to work on it, backup your original image if you want to save any changes you made, then reload the clean Windows 7 image and continue installing the apps you use.

dstrakele
01-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Sigh...Does anyone else here miss the simple days of DOS? ;)

Yeah, I miss my dual floppy, HP TouchScreen workstation with a full 256K RAM, more than anyone would ever need....

fostert
01-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Practically maintenance free filesystem, well before the days of PC viruses and when BBS's were "the net". Plus command line control.

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 04:27 AM
I bought one of these in 1984:

http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/images/2009-08-20-clean-IBM-AT.jpg

I upgraded to a 12" color CRT two years later....a fancy-schmancy NEC "Multi-Sync." It was all so very exciting.

fostert
01-07-2012, 04:46 AM
OK, you got me beat. My first love was a 386 25MHz in ~1990. Back when RAM was $100 per megabyte, and the 2400 baud modem was the hottest thing on the street and allowed me to see my typing in real time when I was logged onto a university machine coding homework. That was jaw dropping!

Nudie_Novak
01-07-2012, 09:41 AM
I understand....once I've been using a computer for awhile, I hate the thought of re-installing everything on it. I'm actually getting ready to do a clean install on my "workhorse" laptop, and I kind of dread it. Just so much stuff on there to keep track of.

But, that said...if you DO think you'd want to do a clean install, moving your stuff is probably the hardest and most tedious part. You can download the Windows installer and all the drivers you'd need, ahead of time, and have a nice minty-fresh installation in an hour or two. Of course....you'd have to re-install all your programs after that...but let's not dwell....

It's mostly Steam games, Music, and my anti virus program. Nothing another 27 hours of download time won't solve. ^^ Could be worse, but as you've already said: TEDIOUS. So how would I go about obtaining my OS again if I ran a clean install? You said something about Windows Installer, but don't I require the fancy little 'key' they give you? Perhaps I'm ovethinking it.

BrodyBoy
01-07-2012, 09:46 AM
It's mostly Steam games, Music, and my anti virus program. Nothing another 27 hours of download time won't solve. ^^ Could be worse, but as you've already said: TEDIOUS. So how would I go about obtaining my OS again if I ran a clean install? You said something about Windows Installer, but don't I require the fancy little 'key' they give you? Perhaps I'm ovethinking it.Fortunately, Steam games can just be copied over to another HDD, can't they? That alone would save a lot of time. All your data can be moved to a different partition....you wouldn't have to completely re-construct everything.

Basically, you download an ISO file and make a DVD or USB Windows installer with it. As long as you re-install the same edition of Windows, you can legally re-use your existing Windows Product Key. That key is valid (for that edition of WIndows) for the life of the machine.

awarsoca
01-07-2012, 06:46 PM
So how would I go about obtaining my OS again if I ran a clean install? You said something about Windows Installer, but don't I require the fancy little 'key' they give you? Perhaps I'm ovethinking it.

here you go
http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Nudie_Novak
01-08-2012, 03:05 AM
Fortunately, Steam games can just be copied over to another HDD, can't they? That alone would save a lot of time. All your data can be moved to a different partition....you wouldn't have to completely re-construct everything.

Basically, you download an ISO file and make a DVD or USB Windows installer with it. As long as you re-install the same edition of Windows, you can legally re-use your existing Windows Product Key. That key is valid (for that edition of WIndows) for the life of the machine.

I derped. I can do one of two things with them (the steam games). Either move them over to the other hard drive in my computer (or one of the partitions on that drive), or move them onto an external. And I think the windows key is on the bottom of my computer, if i'm not mistaken).

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 03:17 AM
Yes, it's on the bottom.

Nudie_Novak
01-10-2012, 03:00 AM
So I've moved over everything that I might find necessary to me AFTER a clean install, but now I need to get the drivers and the OS onto a disc. I know where to get the OS, but the drivers I'm a bit iffy on. I found an area on the forums that had a "Driver and Application" bundle, but does it cover everything necessary for a fully-functioning computer? I don't want to miss something important and not be able to complete the process.

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 03:02 AM
PM sent.....

Nudie_Novak
01-11-2012, 03:38 AM
The operation was a success! Thank you everyone for your replies. I finally did a clean install today, at around 7 this morning, and she's been running at light speed. Nearly two-thirds of the processes and unnecessary crap were removed, my hard drives seem less full (perhaps it was all the crap I removed XD). Either way, thank you all for your replies.

Excited Nudie

BrodyBoy
01-11-2012, 03:43 AM
Excited Nudie
Now there's an image.....

Fibrocyte
01-12-2012, 12:12 PM
PM sent.....

Can you send me the same PM, Brody? I'm about to do a clean install of a G74SX (replacing the HDD w/ an Intel SSD) and would love to not have to search the forums to each and every driver. Thanks!!

WhirledNews
01-12-2012, 03:26 PM
The operation was a success! Thank you everyone for your replies. I finally did a clean install today, at around 7 this morning, and she's been running at light speed. Nearly two-thirds of the processes and unnecessary crap were removed, my hard drives seem less full (perhaps it was all the crap I removed XD). Either way, thank you all for your replies.

Excited Nudie

Doesn't it feel great?