PDA

View Full Version : G73SW messed up screen

RavenLiquid
01-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Today I booted my laptop and was surprised to see the screen start in blue instead of black. From then on all black was blue and the screen flickered sometimes. When it finally reached windows login it flickered a couple of times more before turning completely black. It stayed this way untill I shut it down, then the blue instead of black came back for the shutdown screen.

I have no idea what is suddenly causing it. I had no issues last time I used it.
I first though the graphics card might be broken, but when I hook up a HDMI cable to the TV it is perfect. If I set the output to both you see the booting on the TV normally and on the laptop screen broken.

Next thought was a broken screen, but every boot looks exactly the same (as far as I can tell), flickering and screen going black is always at the same point. Plus it is not garbled as you normally see (no noise lines or anything, except for one small moment when the windows logo animation plays).

Here you can see for your self. I'm not sure if it is actually a broken laptop, but I'm not keen on RMA-ing the thing for some weeks. So if anyone has an idea.

Keep in mind the blue is not because of my crappy filming, it is actually blue instead of black.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lWDxu1luS5Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dstrakele
01-06-2012, 03:31 PM
That "Matrix-like" garbled screen was interesting. Watch out for any deja vu black cats... ;>{)>

How long have you had this system since purchase?

What version video driver are you running?

Do you notice any flickering after the logon screen (and before shutdown) during normal use? The fact you don't observe this behavior on an external monitor could indicate a problem with the LCD video cable or its connection.

If this is a recent phenomena, does a Windows System Restore to an earlier time before the issue resolve it?

RavenLiquid
01-06-2012, 03:44 PM
I bought it somewhere in march I think, so a little less than a year ago. So it should still be in warranty period.

I don't think any driver(although I did update it) or window stuff is going to fix this, as I mentioned the blue you see in the video from boot should be black. This includes the BIOS(EFI) screen. All the black you normally see during the complete boot sequence has a nice BSOD color.

I also though of the video cable but moving the screen does not do much (I would expect so change in strain) and it is exactly the same each time, including the flicker periods.

The screen stays black after you see it go black in the video until I start shut down, which I did not record.

Edit: Is it possible to check that cable without voiding warranty?

dstrakele
01-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Interesting you see this in the BIOS display. I would think that would rule out any video driver issue. It adds weight to the fact it does not appear on an external monitor, pointing towards a hardware issue.

What was the last thing you did to this system prior to the manifestation of this video issue?

RavenLiquid
01-06-2012, 04:33 PM
I just did some office work on it, no gaming or anything. I shut it down normally and put it in the bag. No throwing or dropping it either.

dstrakele
01-06-2012, 04:43 PM
In troubleshooting, be it computers or automobiles, it is often the last change you made prior to the issue that is the cause of the problem. From your answer, it doesn't appear that will lead us anywhere. I'm thinking you will have to decide whether or not to RMA it for warranty repair, before your warranty runs out.

RavenLiquid
01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah it looks that way, I just hope it won't take ages.

dstrakele
01-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Edit: Is it possible to check that cable without voiding warranty?

I'm unsure, but if it was my system, I would google for G73 disassembly guides - preferably one with pictures or video. They will sometimes point out where you void the warranty if you go further.

Who knows, maybe the LCD video cable has just worked itself a little loose and a little push will hopefully resolve your issue and allow you to forgo the RMA.