PDA

View Full Version : ENG GTX 560 in SLI question

mr. anderson
01-06-2012, 09:02 PM
okay, just built my first rig (specs in my signature). everything seams to be running fine, i just wanted to get a baseline before I start turning things up. all the updates/drivers are current and installed. SLI mode works and is in auto mode for the physx engine. the cards are installed as recommended in the SLI locations.

couple things I have noticed.

1. the core temps with both video cards are not the same when running anything. this leads me to believe that one of the cards is taking the brunt of the load? how can I fix this?

2. when I play battlefield 3 the frame rate has dropped from single card performance. I first installed a single card and ran the system and ran BF 3, in ultra settings on 1920 x 1080, it stayed above 57 FPS, with no apparant lags in game, with dual video cards in SLI, I average about 40-45 FPS with lags as if the processors are trying to catch up.

SLI is enabled, it didn't seam to make a difference weather I selected one or the other video card or not for the physx engine, or just had it in auto, I tried all they all yielded the same results in BF3.

also when I checked the windows experience the rating went from 7.6 on a single card to 7.9 with SLI enabled with both cards.

HiVizMan
01-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Hello and welcome

First part - it is normal for one card to do more work that another. Normally I have found the front card does the bulk of the work. There is a reason for that and is mainly to do with how the code in the application (games in this case) has been optimised. Short version is the the first card will do the most work because it is quicker/more efficient than splitting the work between the two evenly. Bare in mind that it takes time for data to travel, and any travel time that can be avoided is a boost for performance. That is why 2 560 cards never give twice as much performance as a single 560 card. This is a very simplified narrative but you get the picture I am sure.

Second part - sounds like CPU bottling. Your graphic processing units are overwhelming the capacity of the CPU. That is why one card gave you better results. I wonder if there is a patch or a specific fix for the SLi profile for that game if it is not CPU throttling your cards performance.

Go have a look here (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=441) and see what the comparisons between a single card and dual card - thing is they are using a CPU that is a little more efficient than the AMD one.

mr. anderson
01-06-2012, 10:13 PM
HiVizMan,

thanks for the welcome, I understand that the perfomance will not double numbers wise,definately wouldn't expect that, but i would have expected the framerate to increase to at least 70 FPS, and definately not decrease, even with the FX processor.

xeromist
01-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Do the current Nvidia drivers still have the SLI indicator? I haven't checked in a while but turning that on would show you how the load is distributed between the cards.

HiVizMan
01-07-2012, 10:51 AM
CPU bottleneck issue are well documented and have been discussed many time on the net. It is very easy to test if that is in deed happening.

Disable one card and compare FPS when running one card vs running two cards.

Then overclock your CPU and see if there is any improvement in FPS

I would also make sure (which I am sure you have) that your cards are in the correct PCIe lanes for your motherboard.

mr. anderson
01-07-2012, 03:17 PM
ok, i'll give that a try, I did verify that the cards are in the correct slots for SLI, just a sanity check, I did install the beta drivers 290.53 for the cards after I removed both 285 drivers and cleaned the registry. when I first started the game, the frame rate started at 115 dropped to 70ish then dropped back down to 40-50's with the lags. I'll disable the second card and give that a shot. if the frame rate goes back up I'll start overclocking the processor, I think I'll try for around 4.0 GHz. now that I've had therig running fine.

thanks for the input. new to the SLI thing. I did notice though that COD MW3 didn't have the drop in framerate though( i know it's not as graphic intense of a game)

I think I'll try crysis 2 out and see how that works.

I'll also look around a little more about SLI and processors/overclocking

HiVizMan
01-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Just a thought - Go have a look at the BF3 forum and see if there is any discussion going on about the game and a SLi bug or patch. I vaguely recall my kids speaking about something like that a few weeks(month) ago.

BlackSG5
01-08-2012, 08:44 AM
hi. i'm also running 560 Sli but not OC version and not ASUS brand. my have solid 60fps on BF3 vsync on, high settings. my processor is FX-8150 @ 4.0ghz and 8gb of RAM. even when i was running on stock cpu speed my fps is the same. maybe you haven't turned on SLI mode in the nvidia control panel?

HiVizMan
01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Thank you BlackSG5 I am not able to duplicate the OP problem due to not having the same graphic cards. Much appreciated and I wonder if you could stick around awhile and walk him through since you both have the same set up?

@ Mr A - just have a quick check that your SLi bridge is in 100% working order no nicks or breaks and that the fingers are free from any contaminates that might cause a problem.

mr. anderson
01-09-2012, 03:46 AM
yes verified with the nvidia settings, that the SLI was enabled. I think this is a software issue with the game. I have not had any problem with any other game with the SLI enabled. actually the problem has gotten worse. now it does what other people were having issues with it. it dropping to 9 FPS in SLI.

HiVizMan
01-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the feed back

BlackSG5
01-09-2012, 10:59 AM
actually i don't have any more ideas on what's causing mr. a's problem. i've been SLI-ing since 7600 nvidia cards and never have i lost fps due the SLI. i'm actually on the 290.53 beta driver right now, but the 285 was supposed to be the BF3 driver. we pretty much have the same hardware.

mr. anderson
01-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Well ordered a new OCZ vertex 3 120GB SSD. I will be starting fresh and see if anything differs with that drive. should get the SSD sometime on wednesday. will post up wed the results

BlackSG5
01-10-2012, 05:25 PM
have you tested both cards individually? i know you've tried it in single card but how about the other one? maybe one is bad. just to be clear, you put in your cards on the 1st pcie slot and 3rd slots right?

mr. anderson
01-11-2012, 01:11 AM
have'nt tested both cards individually, yes the cards are in the right locations. they are not adjacent to one another. but spaced in spot both x16 slots.

on a side note, I loaded up crysis 2. ran it in 1920x1080 in the highest setting. the framerate averaged 70 FPS occasionally dropping to 60 in the gameplay.

maybe i need to call ASUS or DICe and ask whats up. UPS is gonna deliver my SSD tommorow, so i'll check that out. and see if a fresh install with the drivers will make a difference.

have you tested both cards individually? i know you've tried it in single card but how about the other one? maybe one is bad. just to be clear, you put in your cards on the 1st pcie slot and 3rd slots right?

BlackSG5
01-11-2012, 01:58 AM
have'nt tested both cards individually, yes the cards are in the right locations. they are not adjacent to one another. but spaced in spot both x16 slots.

on a side note, I loaded up crysis 2. ran it in 1920x1080 in the highest setting. the framerate averaged 70 FPS occasionally dropping to 60 in the gameplay.

maybe i need to call ASUS or DICe and ask whats up. UPS is gonna deliver my SSD tommorow, so i'll check that out. and see if a fresh install with the drivers will make a difference.

another thing, is your game fully patched (BF3)?

mr. anderson
01-11-2012, 02:04 AM
just thought of something, not sure if this should matter, this computer is a HTPC / gaming rig, I have it outputting on the mini-HDMI output into a mitsubishi HC6000 projector that projects to a 10 foot screen. not sure if the HDMI output makes a difference or the fixed 60Hz rate of the display. Hmmm.

BlackSG5
01-11-2012, 02:26 AM
just thought of something, not sure if this should matter, this computer is a HTPC / gaming rig, I have it outputting on the mini-HDMI output into a mitsubishi HC6000 projector that projects to a 10 foot screen. not sure if the HDMI output makes a difference or the fixed 60Hz rate of the display. Hmmm.

i'm also using a mini-HDMI, and also DVI before that. no difference really. have you tried turning on v-sync? maybe your projector can't keep up with your cards.

markes12344
02-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Hello Fellow 560 sli'rs, as you may read in my SIG i currently am running 2x ASUS 560OC in the sli configuration. I also too am running in HDMI configuration. the only difference is my cable is built DVI-HDMI.

There are a few things i want to point out as well as ask.

1. I, sadly, have not had the privileged to attempt BF3, but is there an in game setting for; SLI, Dual Card, or even just a game limit to ONE card?

2. Have you gone to NVidia's Control Panel-[Menu Bar] 3D Settings - Show SLI Visual Indicator?

3. 6Pin power points aren't adapted from 4pin moles, or are they?

4. For the temp on the first card, I'm assuming the projector is running off of the first card as well? this will add a touch more of a increase in Temperature.

5. I would Like to ask ANY OTHER SLI ON BF GAMMERS have they noticed a drop in their FPS?

6. If running Windows 7 or vista, would you be able to Dual Monitor your system, and gadget the small none gaming monitor with my personal favorite gadgets, GPU Meter v1.1 x2 (one for each card) and All CPU Meter v 3.7, all by http://addgadget.com I personally run those gadgets as well as GPU TweakIt on a second monitor all the time. (if like some games BF3 blanks out your second monitor press ALT CTRL DEL to load up Task Manager than simply exiting it and clicking back onto the game, this will allow that monitor to be seen)
I would like to know if both cards are simultaneously getting the same GPU usage, and CPU load.

7. With V-sync ON you will cap you FPS to your Refresh Rate (ie 60hz = 60fps 75hz=75fps)

8. How rockin is the ASUS 560's in a sli configuration? lol I haven't had a problem with the cards themselves YET, knock on wood. i even Graphic Tested my config on DMC4 and maxed some sceens near 400fps

markes12344
02-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Hey just and update. I for the first time after updating to 290.36 driver, have tried to game Need For Speed-The Run. high graphic game, but hey guess what, i noticed on my GPU meters, ONE card had no load where the other had full 99% load. very odd and explained the new sluggishness i was getting.
i went to NVidia control panel where under my 3D settings had to than change the SLI rendering mode to Force alternate frame rendering 2. weather or not FAFR 1 would of worked as well im not sure. I then loaded NFS again and what yea know, i had both cards working like they should with the SLI. BUT i still had some sluggish game play, therefore as of now i am going to do a CUSTOM-CLEAN INSTALL of 285.62 downgrading from the 290.36. As for the ASUS 560 it says you need the 270.48 driver. the ASUS 560 OC version 285.62, and as for the 560 OC TOP, im not sure what driver. all i can conclude from this is the driver that ASUS suggest and allows via tools such as GPU TweakIt, NVidia control panel update... ect. USE IT. lol yes the GPU can handle any 500 class driver, but this GPU is in every single card brand going. some drivers work better on other cards from other brands, as for ASUS they seem to be pretty good and specifying what DRIVER WORKS BEST. so ill stick to it with 285.62

As far as i remember the 285.62 driver ran NFS full detail Full SLI no problem on my OverClocked card 850mhz.

markes12344
02-02-2012, 01:52 AM
I sure hope there isnt no secret fine printed code against multiple reply's in a row :eek:

BUTT just an update, i DOWN GRADED my driver from 290.36, to the ASUS suggested as highest, latest, driver for my card the 285.62, and would you be able to guess what???

The SLI rendering mode under NVidia control panel-manage 3D settings-Program Settings-Need For Speed: The Run. is now at NVIDIA RECOMMENDED (SLI) :D Were as before with the 290.36 diver. I didn't even have this option. just Single GPU, Force Alternate Frame Rendering 1, and Force Alternate Frame Rendering 2

So Mr. Anderson, i Strongly Suggest for BF3 gaming the first step would be to REMOVE ALL DRIVERS. than via GPU TweakIt search for latest Driver. therefor you will not get told to download and install a driver that very well could not be fully fitted for the exact card in your rig.

ASUS 560 810mhz base clock = 270.48
ASUS 560 OC 850mz base clock = 285.62
ASUS 560 OC TOP 925mhz base clock = ###.##

BlackSG5
02-02-2012, 04:11 AM
hi markes12344! there is no in-game SLI-setting for BF3. also i think need for speed games doesn't support SLI and runs better in single card mode. i played hot pursuit before and it ran smoother on single card mode than forced SLI.