PDA

View Full Version : Computer boot issues again AGAIN (sometimes)

FDSage
02-10-2017, 11:06 PM
I'm back! This has actually been an ongoing issue since shortly after this issue was resolved for me before. But it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes when I turn on my PC, it'll come up with Q code 55. Holding the power button to turn it off and then turning it on again always works. This wasn't a frequent issue but it's been more frequent lately and it's getting annoying.

The computer itself runs great once it actually starts up.
The cpu SA and IO are still on auto and appear in bios to be around 0.9v and 1.0v.
Is it possible that bumping these up slightly manually would help the system bypass this occasional boot issue?

Chino
02-10-2017, 11:29 PM
Do you experience this problem with your system at stock defaults?

FDSage
02-10-2017, 11:41 PM
It hasn't been a problem on stock defaults but I haven't had a lot of testing on defaults.
When I first turned on XMP it was always a problem and after a lot of tweaking we found Maximus Tweak Mode 2 to solve the boot issue. But it still occasionally pops up.

Chino
02-11-2017, 12:10 AM
Then your memory overclock is probably unstable and requires further tuning. :)

JustinThyme
02-11-2017, 04:08 AM
Chino has an excellent point. One other thing that comes to the forefront with the mention of hard power down after boot failure fixes it.*
If you have fast boot enabled something in drivers/software could be causing this. Anything from chipset drivers to tweaking software and a million things in between. Problem with fast boot is if there is a problem it simply reloads it and can often glitch on either writing your kernel and drivers to hiberfil.sys or loading them back on the reboot. Disabling fast boot gives you a clean boot every time. When it hangs and you depress power button on for a hard shutdown you are defeating fast boot. There is no tangible difference in boot times for something called fast boot. Might shave 500 milliseconds but I'd doubt it.*

Raja@ASUS
02-11-2017, 10:49 AM
It hasn't been a problem on stock defaults but I haven't had a lot of testing on defaults.
When I first turned on XMP it was always a problem and after a lot of tweaking we found Maximus Tweak Mode 2 to solve the boot issue. But it still occasionally pops up.

At DDR4-3200, you may need to tune the SA and IO voltages. Check what Auto defaults to when XMP is set, following a successful POST. Work away from there.

FDSage
02-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the responses. I noticed that whenever I restart and then enter bios the SA and IO voltages were higher than they are after a cold boot. From about 1.0v to >1.16v respectively. I went ahead and and set both voltages to 1.2v just to cover any potential under-volting issues.

JustinThyme, I'm guessing you're referring to the fast boot option in the bios and not fast startup in Windows? I've had fast startup disabled but I'll disable fast boot, too.
Will see how this goes from here.

Arne Saknussemm
02-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Justin was talking about fast startup...he doesn't know which is which :p

But might be worth disabling fast boot in BIOS too...try everything :)

NemesisChild
02-11-2017, 03:01 PM
I have the exact same memory and had the exact same issue as you when I first installed the set.
Tweaking the SA and VCCIO voltages were a no go for me.

I simply raised the DRAM voltage to 1.38v, been running 100% stable ever since.

Raja@ASUS
02-11-2017, 03:45 PM
If you're having to increase DRAM voltage, its due to the sub-timings being too tight for the memory. In cases like that, I generally check what timings the profile is programmed with, and then apply those in the DRAM timing page. After that, some tweaking of tertiary timings usually fixes it. I prefer people not having to overvolt memory to run at the rated *primary* timings & frequency of a memory kit.

JustinThyme
02-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Justin was talking about fast startup...he doesn't know which is which :p

But might be worth disabling fast boot in BIOS too...try everything :)

Im getting old and decrpit!:rolleyes:

Same thing, different name. Even the fast startup is renamed hibernation. Even uses the same file, hiberfil.sys.

If you read around a bit the number of issues caused by reloading defunct drivers and kernel on restart or cold boot is astounding.

Arne Saknussemm
02-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Im getting old and decrpit!:rolleyes:

LOL

You're right though...I disable fast everything..."visteme despacio, que tengo prisa"

JustinThyme
02-12-2017, 03:44 AM
"visteme despacio, que tengo prisa"

I'm lucky these days that I dont forget clothes all together and run out the door nekked!
M wife is one that sleep to the last possible minute then out of the bed, into the shower then out the door with a coffee trail all the way to the car. Me I get up at least an hour before I have to do anything just to shake the cob webs loose!

FDSage
02-12-2017, 09:47 PM
So shortly after turning on my PC today, my monitors went out and one came back all glitched out. I put the SA and IO voltages back on Auto, they might have been too high and I think fast boot might have been the real issue. So after saving and quitting in bios, it got stuck on Q code 26. I waited a while and then gave it another hard power down. I don't know what was up with that. Hopefully it'll just work from here.

FDSage
02-12-2017, 10:37 PM
And failed to restart with Q Code 55. I don't know why these problems are suddenly occurring when it was working fine for so long.