PDA

View Full Version : Maximus IX Hero and M.2 wifi

isaacc
02-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Does anyone know anything about the M.2 wifi connector on the Maximus IX Hero?

On the motherboard schematic in the manual there is a connector shown in the upper-left hand corner called "M.2 WIFI". But then, there's no mention made of this connector anywhere in any documentation pertaining to the Hero. The connector is exactly where one would install an M.2 wifi module, and I imagine that is exactly the setup on the Code and the Formula versions of the Maximus IX.

Especially odd is that I watched a couple of box openings on YouTube for the Hero and the backplate has the two holes where antenna ports would be installed. So, if you don't install a wifi module there, Hero owners would be left with two empty holes there. That is to say, I'm surprised that Hero owners haven't mentioned anything about it.

But, supposing one did want to install a wifi setup there, for the life of me I can't find that anyone makes a kit, especially and including Asus. I found wifi M.2 cards but then you have to cobble together a kit of antenna leads, the antenna ports, and an antenna setup, etc.

So, what is that connector good for? Does anyone have any more information about this M.2 wifi connector? Thanks.

mr.nonchalant
02-13-2017, 01:50 AM
Does anyone know anything about the M.2 wifi connector on the Maximus IX Hero?

On the motherboard schematic in the manual there is a connector shown in the upper-left hand corner called "M.2 WIFI". But then, there's no mention made of this connector anywhere in any documentation pertaining to the Hero. The connector is exactly where one would install an M.2 wifi module, and I imagine that is exactly the setup on the Code and the Formula versions of the Maximus IX.

Especially odd is that I watched a couple of box openings on YouTube for the Hero and the backplate has the two holes where antenna ports would be installed. So, if you don't install a wifi module there, Hero owners would be left with two empty holes there. That is to say, I'm surprised that Hero owners haven't mentioned anything about it.

But, supposing one did want to install a wifi setup there, for the life of me I can't find that anyone makes a kit, especially and including Asus. I found wifi M.2 cards but then you have to cobble together a kit of antenna leads, the antenna ports, and an antenna setup, etc.

So, what is that connector good for? Does anyone have any more information about this M.2 wifi connector? Thanks.

I thought I was the only one running into trouble finding a whole M.2 wifi kit to put there lol It is quite annoying Asus didn't bother giving the Hero the same one the code and formula come with but It wasn't enough to keep me from purchasing the Hero. I ended up just settling for Asus PCI-e wifi adapter.
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCE-AC88/

JustinThyme
02-13-2017, 02:40 AM
The WiFi on the formula is actually disappointing. I liked the 3 lead 1.3Gbps WiFi on the M8E and going to 867Mbps with a newer generation board was a bit insulting. I actually put my antenna back in the box and disabled the onboard WiFi and BT and went with the ASUS PCe-88e and get *1.6 to 1.7 GBps easily. A bit of Careful antenna placement and I've tested it at 998 MBps throughout that hits the theoretical limit of wired GB Ethernet using LAN speed test with my NAS. I plugged it in the X1 slot between the Graphics cards.**

isaacc
02-13-2017, 02:41 AM
I think (I don't want to steer anyone the wrong way) I found the actual wifi M.2 card that Asus is using:

WNFQ-258ACN(BT) (http://www.sparklan.com/p2-products-detail.php?PKey=1c4ffp5GrDmwTkqNnNjLpRYAMxfL9Foe_M ibDAzbl-g&WNFQ-258ACN(BT))

I don't know that Asus is actually sourcing from SparkLan but I think the wifi module is Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174A-5. It seems to exactly match the Asus specifications, including the driver.

The Asus antenna module is available separately at NewEgg. And, then you have to buy the leads and antenna connector. So, in the end, at retail prices, slapping in an M.2 wifi setup on the Hero, brings the cost up to near the price of the Code. So, you might as well just buy the Code. But, I bet if a company put out a kit, it would be much cheaper than us buying the parts separately retail.

LoveRog
04-07-2017, 03:12 AM
I also spotted this on the user manual:
1 x Clear CMOS Button
1 x BIOS Flashback Button
1 x M.2 Wifi Slot*
1 x HDMI 1.4b
1 x DisplayPort 1.2
4 x USB 2.0 ports [black]
4 x USB 3.0 ports [blue]
1 x Anti-surge LAN (RJ45) port
2 x USB 3.1 ports (1 x Type-A [red] and 1 x Type-C [black])
1 x Optical S/PDIF out
5 x Gold-plated audio jacks
* The M.2 Wifi module is purchased separately.

However there is no other mention about this module on the Asus website. At least I haven't found it yet, but I mean the Formulas always had it then the heroes just don't come with the fancy shroud at the front as the formulas and a couple of things, then nowadays the latest formula is another 100 quid more expensive than it used to be and the hero for what the formula used to be at. Why not just include the wifi anyways, I don't know. They will still make profit.

Also would my wifi module from a maximus VIII Formula work on the IX Hero? I believe this to be the same one?

Cheers!

isaacc
04-07-2017, 02:00 PM
I don't know what's on your Maximus VIII board. What's required is an M.2 form factor with the "E" key, the attached leads that go to the antenna ports, the antenna ports themselves, the antennas, and the driver. So, if you have in hand an M.2 stick with an "E" key, I don't see why it shouldn't work on the Maximus IX Hero. Having said that, I'm not an Asus technical representative and I'm just using my common sense, so be so advised.

LoveRog
04-07-2017, 11:06 PM
I don't know what's on your Maximus VIII board. What's required is an M.2 form factor with the "E" key, the attached leads that go to the antenna ports, the antenna ports themselves, the antennas, and the driver. So, if you have in hand an M.2 stick with an "E" key, I don't see why it shouldn't work on the Maximus IX Hero. Having said that, I'm not an Asus technical representative and I'm just using my common sense, so be so advised.

Oh yeah totally, Neither am I. However my common sense also tells me that that's the same type of M2 wi-fi and bluetooth (the qualcomm) and I don't see why that wouldn't work, it's just like adding another device where you would expect the drivers to work😆.

I am sending my Formula for RMA since it died after a bios update. I may keep the M2 wifi.

schoolofmonkey
04-08-2017, 12:38 PM
I asked Raja about it but that was on overclock.net and he'd never heard of it.
Tad annoying as I was looking for one myself.

dannyboy292
04-11-2017, 01:41 AM
I threw a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 IN MY MAXIMUS VIII HERO and I now have wifi and bluetooth for about $40......http://ca.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-WB867D-I-rev-42#ov

schoolofmonkey
04-20-2017, 01:42 AM
I threw a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 IN MY MAXIMUS VIII HERO and I now have wifi and bluetooth for about $40......http://ca.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-WB867D-I-rev-42#ov

Problem is we shouldn't have to, the manual states that it should be able to be purchased separately and it's not.

Fenwich
05-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Has anyone figured out a solution to this?

I got an Intel 8260 wifi module, installed it and it's not showing up.

Does the M.2 slot need to be enabled in the BIOS?

Does it have to be a Qualcomm Aetheros wifi module specifically?

Has anyone gotten this M.2 slot to work on the Maximus IX Hero?

isaacc
05-18-2017, 09:52 PM
There are two elements in the Hero UEFI; one for "Wi-Fi" and the other "Bluetooth". Mine were enabled by default. I imagine this is for that M.2 slot and its only used with the Formula (and any other Maximus IX version with integrated Wi-Fi).

Don't forget about the driver.

Fenwich
05-18-2017, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the reply Isaacc! I do indeed have both of those set to "enabled" in the BIOS. I did also install the drivers for it from Intel's website.

Unfortunately, the card isn't even showing up in my device manager.

I'm 99% sure it's seated correctly, but with the armor installed on top it's hard to verify.

I'm worried because it looks like no one has gotten this working. Is it possible that the slot is there but not connected? Or maybe my Intel 8260NGW isn't compatible? It's a little frustrating because the product page for this motherboard says that it's M.2 wifi ready, but makes no other mention of the M.2 wifi slot other than mentioning it in the manual's map of the motherboard.

Fenwich
05-22-2017, 05:40 PM
I ended up going to Asus tech support directly with this, and figured I'd post my results here since this topic came up when I searched up this issue:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support, my name is Daldin C. I do hope you are having a wonderful day today.

Based on the issue described, you are looking for the bios update for this motherboard for Intel 8260NGW.

I understand how frustrating that can be, so let me assist you, moving forward.

The maximus IX hero thus support M.2 2242/2260//2280 for storage devices (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x4), for2242/2260/2280/22110 storage device support (PCIE 3.0x 4 mode)

For this wifi/bluetooth module ( Intel 8260NGW M.2 2230, M.2 1216 ) its not supported by this m.2 slot for this motherboard

Refer to ASUS Service No=N170556281

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again for assistance.

Best Regards,
Daldin C.

I responded that they didn't seem to understand which M.2 slot I was talking about and included the page from the manual with the wifi M.2 slot circled, and got another response:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support.
My name is Richard M. and I understand that you are having issue with the MAXIMUS IX HERO.
Sorry for the incovenience using the MAXIMUS IX HERO. Regarding your first question if intel 8260 is compatible with your Motherboard, No it's not comaptible. Heres the QVL kindly click this link.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_IX_HERO/M9H_DEVICE_QVL.pdf?_ga=2.16780605.566051230.149520 0994-806065553.1493816478. The MAXIMUS IX HERO only supports the

1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

And for your 2nd question if there is a module. Honestly there is no module for this.

Please refer to this case # N170557121 for future reference

Richard M, L1 , 9:30PM 5/19/2017 MNL

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again for assistance.

Best Regards,
Richard M.

So, either their advertising and manual lie about supporting WiFi modules, or these support people have no idea about the M.2 WiFi slot.

After these discouraging responses, I leave this note to anyone searching for this in the future: Do not expect to be able to use the M.2 WiFi slot on the IX Hero motherboard!

isaacc
05-23-2017, 01:12 AM
Indeed, the M.2 slot for the wifi module is an M.2 "E key" slot. Theoretically it should accept any E key device. I think the main question here is whether Asus purposely disabled this slot in the BIOS. Otherwise, I don't see why your Intel wifi module shouldn't work.

You might try this tack on behalf of everyone: Ask Asus what do the two elements in the Hero UEFI actually pertain to, enable and disable, that is for "Wi-Fi" and "Bluetooth". See what they say.

We know that the Hero, Code and Formula are essentially the same board with various features included or not. I'm only guessing, but I suspect that there was a disconnect between the various developers such that the manual for the Hero included reference to the M.2 slot when it shouldn't have, the UEFI inadvertently had those two elements left in, and the M.2 slot itself was left on the Hero board.

Fenwich
05-23-2017, 05:26 PM
The splash page for the Hero pretty prominently advertises that it has an M.2 (E key) slot "ready for WiFi".

There's a little hope here, one of the support respondents said he was going to escalate this question to a higher up. I'll keep this thread updated.

A.Catalin
06-21-2017, 01:57 PM
Any update on this matter ?

Falcon32
06-22-2017, 02:21 PM
Any update on this matter ?

Hi,

I had the intel 8260 it did not work, i bought the intel 8265 NGW and it works. Works with wifi and bluetooth

A.Catalin
06-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Awesome, thanks :D

MrAgapiGC
06-29-2017, 09:53 AM
I have the link for that, give me a 2h since coffee still has not kick in. I find a link to get that.

MrAgapiGC
06-29-2017, 09:55 AM
Here is the linkl!!!!! I have not order that. since my friend is waitting for info. shipping will be hard and expensive. at least for me. http://nxtmarket.info/item/528830691821

that is the one you need to get. is the same that comes on other IX.

A.Catalin
07-09-2017, 05:39 PM
i bought the intel 8265 NGW and it works. Works with wifi and bluetooth
Quick question before I buy the same card.
Does the 8265 card fit under that plastic cover?

Falcon32
07-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Quick question before I buy the same card.
Does the 8265 card fit under that plastic cover?

Yes, the card fit under the plastic cover.

MunicipalBlack
09-13-2017, 02:48 AM
I have a silly question for those that have installed the Intel 8265 NGW. You need to remove the motherboard from the case to get install it, correct? Based on the above pictures there doesn't seem to be any chance of my rear fans/rad interfering with it, I would have to pull everything out. I suppose that advantage of going this route for someone like myself that only wants Bluetooth capabilities is that it won't use a USB port compared to a dongle.

xator
10-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Hi there ppl,

I've managed to install an Intel 8265 AC wireless and Bluetooth 4.2 combo. Everything works like a charm, even from Bios. I've 3D-printed a little mount for the card, and with some patience the results are very good. Here are some pictures:

There's no problem at all, so if anyone wants to give it a try, just don't waste your time looking for the WifiGo module. This is great.

romm_z
11-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Hi there ppl,

I've managed to install an Intel 8265 AC wireless and Bluetooth 4.2 combo. Everything works like a charm, even from Bios. I've 3D-printed a little mount for the card, and with some patience the results are very good. Here are some pictures:

There's no problem at all, so if anyone wants to give it a try, just don't waste your time looking for the WifiGo module. This is great.

Hello mate, awesome work!
Would you mind sharing your 3D printed mount plz?
Thx a bunch =)

xator
11-12-2017, 08:46 PM
Hello mate, awesome work!
Would you mind sharing your 3D printed mount plz?
Thx a bunch =)

Hi there,

I used this one that I found online --> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2166807

I just printed it and then cut it to the needed height.

It's not designed by myself, but it did the trick. I hope this helps :p

zoomIT
11-24-2017, 10:06 PM
I thought I was the only one running into trouble finding a whole M.2 wifi kit to put there lol It is quite annoying Asus didn't bother giving the Hero the same one the code and formula come with but It wasn't enough to keep me from purchasing the Hero. I ended up just settling for Asus PCI-e wifi adapter.
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCE-AC88/

Apparently we are a few that was wondering the same thing. I too found it weird.
However I have my setup so close to my connection outlet that I prefer using a wired hookup . But it's a bit disappointing that Asus have opted NOT to include wifi with Maximus IX Hero. It is after all a higher tier board!?

CitizenKane
12-03-2017, 11:13 AM
I just got this motherboard and was wondering the same thing, so I emailed Asus tech support and they just sent me a link to this thread... it doesn't seem like they've put a lot of thought into this!

Anyway, based on the above few posts should I be able to just get an Intel 8265 NGW and be good to go? Or is there any other parts I would need to get with it?

Thanks!

xator
12-04-2017, 01:28 PM
I just got this motherboard and was wondering the same thing, so I emailed Asus tech support and they just sent me a link to this thread... it doesn't seem like they've put a lot of thought into this!

Anyway, based on the above few posts should I be able to just get an Intel 8265 NGW and be good to go? Or is there any other parts I would need to get with it?

Thanks!

If you get an Intel 8265 NGW, you'll need also the coaxial cables, in my case where MHF-IV to RP-SMA models. Just pick 2 of them, and the external antenas. Coaxial cables should be easier to find and cheaper on any chinese shop, as well as the external antenas.:cool:

A.Catalin
01-03-2018, 08:23 AM
I just found a WI-FI go module for sale in my country for ~8€ ;)
It fits perfectly, killer 1535 inside. Now I have to find a 2T2R Asus antenna

Howard_Woodard
06-11-2018, 06:37 PM
I found this: ASUS Wi-Fi +BT GoCard Mini PCIe M.2 WCBN808A-AD QCNFA364A Z170i Pro

It looks like the m.2 A key which I think can be plugged into an E key socket. Does anyone know for sure whether this would work in the Maximus IX Hero or not?

Woody

A.Catalin
07-13-2018, 09:50 AM
https://imgur.com/a/k6pnHUU

Sorry for the late reply, I just upgraded my module with an INTEL 9260, here are some measurements:

KuraiShidosha
02-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Hi there ppl,

Bro you kind of forgot to tell people 1) the screw holes are totally off, 2) you need custom screws to tie it down because cases don't come with that kind of screw, 3) you need a nut to fasten the motherboard standoff to the 3D print and 4) hope you have power tools because you're gonna have to drill and sand down the right holes for this project. I wish I knew even a fraction of these details before I wasted my time and money printing these things only to find it a nightmare level project because nothing lines up right or measured out properly. It's a clusterf*ck of biblical proportions that I never would have partaken in had I known beforehand.

If you stumble on this thread from Google trying to get a mount for a M.2 WiFi card, take my advice and do NOT bother trying to print this thing out. It is a colossal waste of time, money and energy and will probably take years off your life attempting to finagle it together. Buy the official metal module and be happy.

xator
03-02-2019, 06:43 PM
Bro you kind of forgot to tell people 1) the screw holes are totally off, 2) you need custom screws to tie it down because cases don't come with that kind of screw, 3) you need a nut to fasten the motherboard standoff to the 3D print and 4) hope you have power tools because you're gonna have to drill and sand down the right holes for this project. I wish I knew even a fraction of these details before I wasted my time and money printing these things only to find it a nightmare level project because nothing lines up right or measured out properly. It's a clusterf*ck of biblical proportions that I never would have partaken in had I known beforehand.

If you stumble on this thread from Google trying to get a mount for a M.2 WiFi card, take my advice and do NOT bother trying to print this thing out. It is a colossal waste of time, money and energy and will probably take years off your life attempting to finagle it together. Buy the official metal module and be happy.

Well, Bro, this is a very DIY project and, more important, it's a way of fixing the lack of the official metal module. It's not an official guide of anything, and I've just only exposed one solution I tried and got working. Needless to say, If you have a way to find and buy the official module, good for you. But in several countries, this module is not even avaliable, or you have to order it, used, from china or taiwan. So it isn't as easy as you are saying it is.

I'm sorry if you had a hard time with your setup, and I understand your concern but stumbling on a thread from Google won't guarantee you that it's a 0-problem solution.

Being this said, It's been more than a year since I did my "mod" and it is still working like a charm. It only cost me almost next to nothing to print the adapter plus the wireless card, and an afternoon of relaxed tinkering and work. I'd call that a success.

Anyway, excuse my english and have a nice day

Elkmar
04-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Hi there!

After few months and 3 attempt to create wi-fi holder my friend and I finally make it! (I miss a little with one leg, but it's not matter) A.Catalin, thanks for photos, they decreased number of attempt.

It's important (if you want to use my holder) that it is made of Polyamide (or Versatile Plastic, this is the same) because this material provides sufficient accuracy.

STP file you may download from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/29hs681u79unbvn/holder.zip?dl=0