PDA

View Full Version : Z270 STRIX E or Maximus IX Hero for a 6700k?

Nivity
02-12-2017, 05:09 PM
So trying to get stuff sorted with my Z170 pro gaming but If I cannot I might just give up and buy a Z270 board.
I have my 6700k and as I read Z270 works without any issues for it as well as my Corsair 2x16GB CMU32GX4M2A2666C16R

I been looking at MSI's Gaming Pro Carbon (I want Intel NIC) just because this Asus board got me kinda angry after 3 days trying to fix the audio stutter etc.

But I should at least consider the Asus boards as well, and if so it's between the 2 in topic.
Strix E or IX Hero.

I find no real difference between these, W-lan and BT is useless so I don't care about those on the strix.
However I am interested in the USB 3.1 Frontpanel connector.
Is it the same USB 3.1 Gen 1 as other boards have (MSI have the "old" USB 3 connector, but supports 3.1 Gen 1), or is this new connector on the Asus boards for Gen 2 that no case currently have?

Also, what board would be better to get in reality, the price between them is not that much different.
I don't care about RGB, want the most stable board I can find, both for stock and for ok OC (I ran my 6700k at 4.6 no problems, but had no desire to go higher really)

The other BIG thing is that is the boards mature yet?
I read so much about problems that needs to get fixed with bios etc early on, so should I not expect stability if I go over to either of these 2 boards with my 6700k?
Seen threads about it here and same goes for the MSI board on their forums, even reps say they are working and releasing beta bios to the forum members for problems with ex ME.

* And last, I see Asus only have regular USB 3.0 Intel USB on the back, 4x. While MSI have USB 3.1 Gen 1 4x (Intel).
Why did Asus go with the old 3.0 and not 3.1 (I know the 2x 3.1 Gen 2 that all boards have)
Is the 3.1 Gen 1 just a gimmick or why did Asus skip these and go with the old 3.0?

Best regards,
Frustrated Z170 user, screw audio stutter ;)

Silent Scone@ASUS
02-12-2017, 05:34 PM
Did you get around to reinstalling the system / trying a dummy install?

Nivity
02-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Did you get around to reinstalling the system / trying a dummy install?

Yeah, I did a clean install as a last try.
The stutter have gotten better, but still comes now and then, 1 complete freeze etc.
Tried everything there is to try, well outside a stand alone soundcard (I use spdif to my reciever)
And buying a soundcard I might as well buy a new motherboard tbh since I have no use for soundcard features since I only use spdif to reciever that handles all the decoding.

Chino
02-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Both motherboards are amazing but if I had to pick between the two, I would grab the Maximus IX Hero. :)

Silent Scone@ASUS
02-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I did a clean install as a last try.
The stutter have gotten better, but still comes now and then, 1 complete freeze etc.
Tried everything there is to try, well outside a stand alone soundcard (I use spdif to my reciever)
And buying a soundcard I might as well buy a new motherboard tbh since I have no use for soundcard features since I only use spdif to reciever that handles all the decoding.

The memory kit you've specified in the OP is different to the one you've specified on OCN yesterday. The fact the issue seems so sporadic is also strange (after you said the issue was resolved).

Nivity
02-12-2017, 06:25 PM
The memory kit you've specified in the OP is different to the one you've specified on OCN yesterday. The fact the issue seems so sporadic is also strange (after you said the issue was resolved).

Copied the wrong kit here, the OCN is the correct, edited it here.
"CMU32GX4M2A2666C16R"

Ye that is the problem, I have no Idea what triggers it, it's just so random it makes me so furious tbh.
It was just last week I got these new things (got a good deal on them from a friend)
Before I had my 3570k with Maximus V Gene and same GPU, Powersupply, SSD and no issues.

Sure it does happen less frequently now, but I also have no Idea why.
Because I tried turning on Speedstep, Enabling Turbo mod, even tried clocking. But still it did not change the stutter, still random and not more or less.

That is why I am still kinda torn because I have no idea if it will get "worse" again or better etc ;O

Vlada011
02-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Both motherboards are amazing but if I had to pick between the two, I would grab the Maximus IX Hero. :)

Me to.
I like new ASUS color scheme.
I could compare ASUS with iPhone, all colors they choose are nice, for now no something bad, except Z68 and Z77 series,
but ROG series always have nice colors and Strix.
But for Z270 my favorite is IX Code and mATX Strix I would not pay more for Z chipset.
Very hard decision is between Apex and Code, depend what people like, both are high class.
Off course Extreme is premium and best Z270 but expensive for short life time of chipset.
Instead of Extreme Apex same could be looked as premium E-ATX board with all features someone need for overclocking for 290$.

Nivity
02-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Me to.
I like new ASUS color scheme.
I could compare ASUS with iPhone, all colors they choose are nice, for now no something bad, except Z68 and Z77 series,
but ROG series always have nice colors and Strix.
But for Z270 my favorite is IX Code and mATX Strix I would not pay more for Z chipset.
Very hard decision is between Apex and Code, depend what people like, both are high class.
Off course Extreme is premium and best Z270 but expensive for short life time of chipset.
Instead of Extreme Apex same could be looked as premium E-ATX board with all features someone need for overclocking for 290$.

Well, If I go with a Z270 I want 2x M.2 slots.
And 1 of codes slows are so stupid :D
Who wants a M.2 just standing right out from the motherboard, no clue what Asus thought about with that.
Hero have 2 normal slots at least :D

JustinThyme
02-13-2017, 02:58 AM
If it was me I would stick with a Z170 for the 6700 CPU.*
Can't speak for all of them but my M8E assy ran a 6700K smooth as butter. Never had an issue until I tried to run a 7700K in it. Although the latest BIOS 2202 and later was supposed to support it I never got past the first reboot after a clean install after loading the chipset drivers. Went straight to code 60 100% of the time and requiring a BIOS reflash. 3007 wouldn't work period for either chip and bricked a board that ran fine for several months on 2202 and a 6700K. Prices are dropping out on the Z170 boards and if you keep an eye out you can catch a $100 rebate here and there.*