PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbolt 3 in?

ohlerbob
02-18-2017, 06:47 AM
Hi guys I have a G752VS notebook. I want to stream in video from a TV streaming box to watch on my notebook. The streaming box has a HDMI out connection. Will the HDMI connection on my notebook accept a signal in? If I use a HDMI - Thunderbolt 3 adapter cable will the Thunderbolt 3 port on my notebook accept the signal in?

Bob

Julskey
02-18-2017, 09:09 AM
I don't think so. Ususally HDMI port in laptops are output only. I don't know the case with thunderbolt.

patrioticalien
02-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Hi guys I have a G752VS notebook. I want to stream in video from a TV streaming box to watch on my notebook. The streaming box has a HDMI out connection. Will the HDMI connection on my notebook accept a signal in? If I use a HDMI - Thunderbolt 3 adapter cable will the Thunderbolt 3 port on my notebook accept the signal in?

Bob

Nope due to, physical hardware limitation.

Basically you would need the screen to accept the input from connector x, If it's an output, then it cannot be an input.

The only laptop i know, which allowed for such things was the Alienware M18x. Since it had special hardware, to support an input connector from a HDMI device.

Which then ran windows PC in the background, which was using another signal to the screen. So in-other-words, it had separate dedicated signals.
Input one: from the motherboard.
Input two: from the HDMI input.

The same principle would have to apply to anyother notebook.