PDA

View Full Version : Maximus IX Hero wont boot with memory slots A1/A2 populated

Gabrielmage
02-19-2017, 03:28 PM
Hello guys,

I'm having trouble with my motherboard, when i first started the build all memory slots worked fine, but after a couple of days i was playing some overwatch and the game started closing by itself (3 times), i kept re-opening it until windows BSOD (Bad-pool-header), by the time my pc rebooted i couldn't get the bios to boot, i would get a 55 or 3F q-code. I tried several times to clean cmos, memoryOK!, battery removal and installing memory dimms in different locations until i got it to work.

At that point i was happy, but as soon as i would get inside windows it would BSOD on me. I decided to reinstall windows, and at first everything was working fine until it started crashing on me again.

So.. i decided to test it with 2 dimms of memory installed at a time as i was afraid that my memory got fried or something, the pc is rock solid with 2 dimms at a time.

The thing is that i can not for the life of me get the pc to boot on the memory banks A1/2, if i install something on A1 and/or A2 i keep getting q-code 49 and a continuous loop between 01-03. If i install all banks at once i usually get a q-code 55, but if i install anything on B1/2 the pc boots right away. No cmos clean, memoryOK! nor battery removal helped me this time.

I've tried with a different memory stick from a friend, and got the same results. Do you guys have any ideas?

Build:

Asus: Maximus IX Hero (latest bios)
Intel: i7 7700K (@ stock speeds)
Corsair: Vengance LED 32gb (4*8) 3000mhz (@2133mhz)
Cosair: H100i v2
Gigabyte: GTX 1080
EVGA: SuperNova G3 850W
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks in advance for you help! :)

Silent Scone@ASUS
02-19-2017, 07:23 PM
1) Reset the CMOS

2) Remove the CPU from the socket, checking for any bent pints

3) Reattach the CPU whilst making sure for even mounting pressure

4) Stress the memory with HCI Mem test whilst the system is at optimised defaults (no XMP)

qwertz
02-20-2017, 07:28 AM
Had same problem with code 55 , updated bios and no luck.
Resolved by using just 2 memory slots to B channel and A Ch unused...
With benchmarks it can grow score alot if dual channel memory but in most application operation its not as significant as applications process data and not only continiously copy.

JustinThyme
02-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Had same problem with code 55 , updated bios and no luck.
Resolved by using just 2 memory slots to B channel and A Ch unused...
With benchmarks it can grow score alot if dual channel memory but in most application operation its not as significant as applications process data and not only continuously copy.

This is pretty much what he is saying, using B channel only, however this is a work around and not a resolution. I'm thinking he wants to use all 4 slots.

Im with pulling the CPU and checking. Not sdo much as bent pins as warped PCB. These chips are getting so thin that it only takes a little too much pressure and the outer corners will bend upwards. Had a similar incident and when I pulled the cpu and laid it across a straight edge the upward bend was more than obvious. Wasnt too difficult with just a little pressure to bend it flat again. Just have to be careful you dont snap it. Ive heard of others using a heat gun/hair dryer to heat it up first then bend it back. If it get bent a substanial amount it will bend the pins down too, recovery from that is slim to none. I liked the old days where the pins were on the CPU, those were easy enough to fix and realign with a little effort.

Gabrielmage
02-20-2017, 02:25 PM
This is pretty much what he is saying, using B channel only, however this is a work around and not a resolution. I'm thinking he wants to use all 4 slots.

Im with pulling the CPU and checking. Not sdo much as bent pins as warped PCB. These chips are getting so thin that it only takes a little too much pressure and the outer corners will bend upwards. Had a similar incident and when I pulled the cpu and laid it across a straight edge the upward bend was more than obvious. Wasnt too difficult with just a little pressure to bend it flat again. Just have to be careful you dont snap it. Ive heard of others using a heat gun/hair dryer to heat it up first then bend it back. If it get bent a substanial amount it will bend the pins down too, recovery from that is slim to none. I liked the old days where the pins were on the CPU, those were easy enough to fix and realign with a little effort.

Exactly as you said, i bought 32 gigs of ram and i don't wanna settle and use 16 just because of a random error (i say random because this happened out the blue, i was using all 4 dimms fine until it became unstable and this happened). I did remove the CPU and founted d no bent pins, i might have to check on the PCB as you just pointed out (we are talking about the CPU itself, right?

Gabrielmage
02-20-2017, 02:27 PM
1) Reset the CMOS

2) Remove the CPU from the socket, checking for any bent pints

3) Reattach the CPU whilst making sure for even mounting pressure

4) Stress the memory with HCI Mem test whilst the system is at optimised defaults (no XMP)

Already tried everything but the stress test, i don't think this is memory related as i already tried with another memory bank (corsair vengance 2133) and got the same results.

I didn't find any bent pins

Thanks!

Silent Scone@ASUS
02-20-2017, 02:55 PM
Already tried everything but the stress test, i don't think this is memory related as i already tried with another memory bank (corsair vengance 2133) and got the same results.

I didn't find any bent pins

Thanks!

Remove the motherboard from the chassis and retest if possible. If not, take the board, CPU and RAM to a system integrator and have them test it for you.

Gabrielmage
02-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Remove the motherboard from the chassis and retest if possible. If not, take the board, CPU and RAM to a system integrator and have them test it for you.

Will try to test it outside the chassis, are you thinking something could be touching the chassis and causing this?

Silent Scone@ASUS
02-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Will try to test it outside the chassis, are you thinking something could be touching the chassis and causing this?

I'm thinking it's always best to try if all else fails. ;)

Some users tend to over-tighten surrounding screws.

NemesisChild
02-20-2017, 04:32 PM
Clear the CMOS and then test accordingly.

If you can verify that there are no bent pins, then it's either defective memory slots or the CPU IMC.

I'm leaning towards a bad board since B1/2 seem to be performing normal.

Gabrielmage
02-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Clear the CMOS and then test accordingly.

If you can verify that there are no bent pins, then it's either defective memory slots or the CPU IMC.

I'm leaning towards a bad board since B1/2 seem to be performing normal.

I'm going to check the CPU with Intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool, maybe there's something wrong with its IMC as you said.

Thanks!

qwertz
02-21-2017, 12:03 PM

It surely is small surface for 1000+ contacts
Is it also possible that it can push some pins too down and short circuit if tightening screws?
On LGA2011 i have used multiple times even screwdriver to get little extra torque applied and no problems so far.
Surely there are all sort of cooling kits, some may support pressure more evenly others less even.

Gabrielmage
02-21-2017, 08:10 PM
UPDATE:

I'm getting a replacement mother tomorrow after I'd RMA this one, this would be my 3rd mother. Got the 1st one from amazon with a bent pin out of the box, now this one that started behaving strangely after a week... I'm hoping 3rd time is a charm... all in all I'm quite disappointed at ASUS.

Valethar
02-21-2017, 10:59 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I have the same problem. Only I was told I couldn't get any help from ASUS because I had two 16 gig kits instead of a 32 gig kit, so I had to eat a $50 restock fee just to find out that nothing changed when I used a single 32 gig kit.

Can't tell you how disappointed I am with ASUS at present.

Gabrielmage
02-22-2017, 02:07 PM
I feel the same, extremely disappointed at them. If this goes wrong again, i might as well get a Gigabyte.

Gabrielmage
02-22-2017, 02:13 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I have the same problem. Only I was told I couldn't get any help from ASUS because I had two 16 gig kits instead of a 32 gig kit, so I had to eat a $50 restock fee just to find out that nothing changed when I used a single 32 gig kit.

Can't tell you how disappointed I am with ASUS at present.

Just out of curiosity, you pc won't boot with 4 dimms at the same time, but do all dimms work? Because i couldn't make it boot with the A1/2 but worked fine with B1/2

Gabrielmage
02-23-2017, 01:15 AM
UPDATE 2: Got the new mother, behaves exactly the same... A1/2 are not usable. I can't believe asus released something like this.

NemesisChild
02-23-2017, 01:32 AM
UPDATE 2: Got the new mother, behaves exactly the same... A1/2 are not usable. I can't believe asus released something like this.

Highly unlikely that both boards would have the same defective memory slots.

The only common element here is the CPU.
If you can rule out bent/broken pins and no warped PCB, it would seem to be related to the CPU IMC.

Raja@ASUS
02-23-2017, 01:46 AM

What's the part number of your memory kit?

To debug, do this:

1) update to the latest UEFI version
2) See if the board POSTs with a single memory module in slot A2.
3) If it does not POST, power down the board, turn off the PSU, and move the memory module to slot B2.
4) Power up the system, once it POSTs, enter UEFI, go into the DRAM timing section and select Maximus Tweak Mode 2.
5) Save and exit UEFI.
6) When the system POSTs, enter UEFI, then press the power button on the board to power it down.
7) Turn off the PSU.
8) Insert a second memory module into A2, (leave the other module in B2).
9) Power up the system.
10) If steps 2-9 do not work, try again but this time use Maximus Tweak Mode 1. Do not use XMP at any part of this process. Want to see if the board will POST at 2133.
11) Try the same as above, but this time set System Agent Voltage and IO voltage to 1.25V manually - just to see if its a timing related issue.

If none of this works, it's highly unlikely there is an electrical issue with the board - given you have tried multiple motherboards. The issue is either with the CPU cooler/board mounting, CPU, or the firmware. That latter I can rule out once you supply me with a memory kit part number, as I can ask someone here to replicate if need be.

-Raja

Gabrielmage
02-23-2017, 04:05 AM
What's the part number of your memory kit?

To debug, do this:

1) update to the latest UEFI version
2) See if the board POSTs with a single memory module in slot A2.
3) If it does not POST, power down the board, turn off the PSU, and move the memory module to slot B2.
4) Power up the system, once it POSTs, enter UEFI, go into the DRAM timing section and select Maximus Tweak Mode 2.
5) Save and exit UEFI.
6) When the system POSTs, enter UEFI, then press the power button on the board to power it down.
7) Turn off the PSU.
8) Insert a second memory module into A2, (leave the other module in B2).
9) Power up the system.
10) If steps 2-9 do not work, try again but this time use Maximus Tweak Mode 1. Do not use XMP at any part of this process. Want to see if the board will POST at 2133.
11) Try the same as above, but this time set System Agent Voltage and IO voltage to 1.25V manually - just to see if its a timing related issue.

If none of this works, it's highly unlikely there is an electrical issue with the board - given you have tried multiple motherboards. The issue is either with the CPU cooler/board mounting, CPU, or the firmware. That latter I can rule out once you supply me with a memory kit part number, as I can ask someone here to replicate if need be.

-Raja

Hey Raja, tried everything you said

When i used only A2 i get a CC q-code, followed by a 55. (And I'm unable to boot)
If i install B2 + A2, i get a 49 first, then a loop between 01 and 03.

This is the same for all cases you've proposed I test

Memory kit part number: CMU32GX4M4C3000C15B.

Gabrielmage
02-23-2017, 04:10 AM
Highly unlikely that both boards would have the same defective memory slots.

The only common element here is the CPU.
If you can rule out bent/broken pins and no warped PCB, it would seem to be related to the CPU IMC.

I know for sure there are no bent pins and the PCB of the CPU is straight as they come.
Last motherboard got bench-tested with a different CPU/Memory by the computer shop that sold it to me. Thats why they exchanged it.
I also thought that the CPU was defective, but unless my CPU is killing memory lanes... i don't know what to think about this.

Thanks!

Raja@ASUS
02-23-2017, 06:57 AM
Hey Raja, tried everything you said

When i used only A2 i get a CC q-code, followed by a 55. (And I'm unable to boot)
If i install B2 + A2, i get a 49 first, then a loop between 01 and 03.

This is the same for all cases you've proposed I test

Memory kit part number: CMU32GX4M4C3000C15B.

Even with System Agent and IO voltage set manually to 1.25V? What happens if you manually set DRAM voltage to 1.35V, as well? Test that out also (same test method as my previous post), and let me know what happens. See if you still get the same codes.

Gabrielmage
02-25-2017, 01:56 PM
Even with System Agent and IO voltage set manually to 1.25V? What happens if you manually set DRAM voltage to 1.35V, as well? Test that out also (same test method as my previous post), and let me know what happens. See if you still get the same codes.

Raja: Upping the DRAM voltage changed nothing, behaves exactly the same, same codes and everything. I've been in contact with Intel support as well, just so you know I've run their Diagnostic tool and the CPU's IMC seems to be working fine, the test passed without errors. (I've attached a screenshot)

Raja@ASUS
02-26-2017, 09:19 PM
I've never used Intel's tests as they can provide false positives.

If the SA/IO voltage at 1.25V and DRAM voltage set manually to 1.35V do not help, something weird is going on with the board itself. Almost wondering if the CPU cooler is causing it.

Gabrielmage
02-27-2017, 01:26 AM
I've never used Intel's tests as they can provide false positives.

If the SA/IO voltage at 1.25V and DRAM voltage set manually to 1.35V do not help, something weird is going on with the board itself. Almost wondering if the CPU cooler is causing it.

I'm using a Corsair H100i V2, have you ever had issues related to them? I mean, there is no much pressure on the board itself, its not like a giant air cooler weighting down on it.

Also, I've tried the 4 memory dimms in a friends PC, and it booted right away. Were you able to test the mother my memory kit as you said you would?

I'm running out of options here, I could get a replacement for the CPU but i don't know if the issue lies there. I might be able to try it in another another pc with my memories.

Thanks!

Raja@ASUS
02-27-2017, 01:39 AM
I'm using a Corsair H100i V2, have you ever had issues related to them? I mean, there is no much pressure on the board itself, its not like a giant air cooler weighting down on it.

Also, I've tried the 4 memory dimms in a friends PC, and it booted right away. Were you able to test the mother my memory kit as you said you would?

I'm running out of options here, I could get a replacement for the CPU but i don't know if the issue lies there. I might be able to try it in another another pc with my memories.

Thanks!

I won't be testing the kit myself - still checking if HQ has the same kit. If they do I will ask for a replication.

Trying the CPU in a different board would be a good idea.

Gabrielmage
02-27-2017, 01:49 AM
I won't be testing the kit myself - still checking if HQ has the same kit. If they do I will ask for a replication.

Trying the CPU in a different board would be a good idea.

I'll see what i can do

About the CPU Cooler, have you had issues with the one I'm using? What makes you think it could be the CPU cooler? So i might understand better.

Thanks

Raja@ASUS
02-27-2017, 02:01 AM
A bad mount can warp the board or cause uneven pressure on the socket - that can cause issues with memory detection.

Gabrielmage
02-27-2017, 02:07 AM
A bad mount can warp the board or cause uneven pressure on the socket - that can cause issues with memory detection.

Would you consider a watercooler capable of this or just large air coolers?

Raja@ASUS
02-27-2017, 02:13 AM
Seen all kinds of cooler cause it. Sometimes there are machining tolerance problems that result in uneven mounting pressure. The Corsair H series shouldnt have this problem, but given you've been through three boards, it's worth ruling out the constants in the config.

lufiron
02-27-2017, 02:21 AM

I had this exact issue with the Apex build I recently completed. *I kept getting error code 55 with no post. *Initially, I thought it was the memory so I tried a different kit but it still wouldn't post. I reseated the CPU and tried to see a POST with no cpu cooler and sure enough it came to life. *So what I did then was use a torque driver with an overrunning clutch set to 2.5 newton meters to torque the mouting screws of the Noctua alternating 90 degrees each screw until the specified torque was achieved. *It's been fine ever since.

Gabrielmage
02-27-2017, 02:52 AM
I had this exact issue with the Apex build I recently completed. *I kept getting error code 55 with no post. *Initially, I thought it was the memory so I tried a different kit but it still wouldn't post. I reseated the CPU and tried to see a POST with no cpu cooler and sure enough it came to life. *So what I did then was use a torque driver with an overrunning clutch set to 2.5 newton meters to torque the mouting screws of the Noctua alternating 90 degrees each screw until the specified torque was achieved. *It's been fine ever since.

This is really helpful, thanks for sharing! I will surely try it out!

The thing that confuses me the most, is that the 2nd mother I sent back to the computer shop got tested by them before replacing it, so they didn't have my watercooler installed, this is either a really pressure sensitive motherboard, or something different happened (or maybe they did used my watercooler, what do i know? haha)

Gabrielmage
03-01-2017, 11:01 PM

Tried to boot without a CPU cooler, I'm still unable to boot.

Charliest
03-02-2017, 01:37 PM
I am having similar, though intermittent problems. I am at the "grasping at straws" stage. Are you using an external graphics card? If so, you might want to remove it and use the on-chip graphics as a test. I did this and am not having issues, but it may just be coincidental and a matter of time before the problem resurfaces.

Raja@ASUS
03-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Tried to boot without a CPU cooler, I'm still unable to boot.

Still code 55 if the memory is in slot A2? I assume after clear CMOS, as the CPU will get hot very quickly if not the case.

damianme
03-02-2017, 01:51 PM
I agree that the CPUs nowadays get bent so easily. That being said, and considering that you've tried other RAM modules, I guess there's no other way other than RMAing the board.

Gabrielmage
03-02-2017, 02:22 PM
I am having similar, though intermittent problems. I am at the "grasping at straws" stage. Are you using an external graphics card? If so, you might want to remove it and use the on-chip graphics as a test. I did this and am not having issues, but it may just be coincidental and a matter of time before the problem resurfaces.

If by external you mean a PCI-E then yeap I'm on a GTX 1080. I could try the on-board GPU but that would be more of a workaround than anything else...

Just out of curiosity what ram are you using?

Gabrielmage
03-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Still code 55 if the memory is in slot A2? I assume after clear CMOS, as the CPU will get hot very quickly if not the case.

I did a clear CMOS, yeap. I got a CC code and got stuck there, tried memOK! and got the same results, to be honest i didn't wait to see a 55 because i wasn't really confortable with the CPU without a cooler. I did however tried with the slots B1/2 and as ussual they did boot right away. Could retry if you suggest it.

I'm trying everything in my power before RMA, could this issue be related to the fact that the ram has leds, and somehow affect the motherboard? or in a far fetched way, the PSU? I've got a brand new EVGA SuperNova G3 850w, i mean they don't get more premium than that... but still i don't know what to think anymore.

Gabrielmage
03-02-2017, 02:31 PM
I agree that the CPUs nowadays get bent so easily. That being said, and considering that you've tried other RAM modules, I guess there's no other way other than RMAing the board.

The one thing i couldn't try yet is the CPU in another motherboard, i'll try to do that this weekend with a friend. If everything works, then i guess is RMA again for me.

Charliest
03-02-2017, 03:07 PM
If by external you mean a PCI-E then yeap I'm on a GTX 1080. I could try the on-board GPU but that would be more of a workaround than anything else...

Just out of curiosity what ram are you using?

I tied with two sets of RAM, GEIL and HyperX Fury, both 2x8Gb. Identical behavior for both. As I said, the problem is intermittent, so I cannot conclude with any certainty that the presence of a PCIE board is signficant. I am using the system right now with the built-in video and it is working for the present. Incidentally, this is on a Code board.

Gabrielmage
03-02-2017, 03:20 PM
I tied with two sets of RAM, GEIL and HyperX Fury, both 2x8Gb. Identical behavior for both. As I said, the problem is intermittent, so I cannot conclude with any certainty that the presence of a PCIE board is signficant. I am using the system right now with the built-in video and it is working for the present. Incidentally, this is on a Code board.

Have you always used 2x8? or did you ever try to use all 4 memory dimms at once? With 2 dimms (when you experience the problem) on slots A1/2 the motherboard does not boot, but do the B1/2 ALWAYS work?

Raja@ASUS
03-02-2017, 04:02 PM
I did a clear CMOS, yeap. I got a CC code and got stuck there, tried memOK! and got the same results, to be honest i didn't wait to see a 55 because i wasn't really confortable with the CPU without a cooler. I did however tried with the slots B1/2 and as ussual they did boot right away. Could retry if you suggest it.

I'm trying everything in my power before RMA, could this issue be related to the fact that the ram has leds, and somehow affect the motherboard? or in a far fetched way, the PSU? I've got a brand new EVGA SuperNova G3 850w, i mean they don't get more premium than that... but still i don't know what to think anymore.

If a single module in A2 only doesn't work then get the CPU checked out. If that's fine, then yes, the board will need to be returned. Our guys have reached out to Corsair for the memory kit, but haven't received it yet.

Gabrielmage
03-02-2017, 05:48 PM
If a single module in A2 only doesn't work then get the CPU checked out. If that's fine, then yes, the board will need to be returned. Our guys have reached out to Corsair for the memory kit, but haven't received it yet.

I will try to get a friend to help me, i have tried the memory kit with his motherboard (all 4) and booted right away, i'll see if i can test my CPU on his motherboard as well.

I'd appreciate if you could let me know what the results are when the guys at HQ get to test my memory kit.

Gabrielmage
03-07-2017, 03:28 PM

Raja:

Tried the memories in a friend's PC, booted right away, tried my CPU on his motherboard with my memories, got the same error. Removed 2 sticks and booted right away, im RMAing the CPU.

What's weird is that the 2nd motherboard i got (and stopped working along with the CPU) never worked again, with 4 dimms installed, even with a different CPU. I don't know if the motherboard damaged the CPU or the other way around, but you guys might want to look into it.

I'll let you know when i get the new CPU and test it.

Thanks for you help.

Raja@ASUS
03-08-2017, 12:18 PM
No problem. Interestingly, the memory arrived in our office last friday, just as I was getting ready to leave to head back to the UK. No updates from those guys yet, but based on what you're saying, it may not be an issue anyway.

schoolofmonkey
03-08-2017, 01:57 PM
I was lucky, I was able to use all 4 slots of my Hero, I did use the Corsair Vengence 4x8GB 2800Mhz kit from my x99 system.
The 32GB kit wasn't on the QVL, but the 64GB kit was, but both use the same ram, I did wonder how you would get 8x8GB stick into a z270 board though..lol.

Didn't realize these chips bend so easily, I tightened down the kraken x61 well, but it had already been used so the bracket could of been a little looser.
Temps are good though.

I'm interested in the outcome and if the CPU was the problem.

Gabrielmage
03-08-2017, 02:22 PM
I was lucky, I was able to use all 4 slots of my Hero, I did use the Corsair Vengence 4x8GB 2800Mhz kit from my x99 system.
The 32GB kit wasn't on the QVL, but the 64GB kit was, but both use the same ram, I did wonder how you would get 8x8GB stick into a z270 board though..lol.

Didn't realize these chips bend so easily, I tightened down the kraken x61 well, but it had already been used so the bracket could of been a little looser.
Temps are good though.

I'm interested in the outcome and if the CPU was the problem.

As soon as I get my replacement from intel, i will update you guys with news

steelerman37
03-14-2017, 03:08 AM

Thought I'd jump in to say that I'm having the same exact problem Gabriel is having: A1 or A2 populated with any memory gives either 55 or cycles 01-03. I have almost his exact same build except I'm using Dominator (3600) 2x8Gb only. Currently have B1/2 populated and it posts fast with no problems (including no BSODs), but having a single DiMM in A1 or A2 causes 55/01-03 variations. Brand new as of 3/11 mobo, memory and CPU (i7/7700). I'm only planning on using 16Gb for the next few months, but if this is a defective board or CPU, I need to figure it out now to get RMA'd.

steelerman37
03-16-2017, 02:03 PM

Gabriel, have you gotten your replacement CPU yet?

Gabrielmage
03-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Gabriel, have you gotten your replacement CPU yet?

Hey, it just arrived at Intel's RMA location, I'm not located in the states so I guess I'll have my replacement next week. Will let you guys know as soon as i re-test

ezpzlmnsqz
03-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Thought I'd jump in to say that I'm having the same exact problem Gabriel is having: A1 or A2 populated with any memory gives either 55 or cycles 01-03. I have almost his exact same build except I'm using Dominator (3600) 2x8Gb only. Currently have B1/2 populated and it posts fast with no problems (including no BSODs), but having a single DiMM in A1 or A2 causes 55/01-03 variations. Brand new as of 3/11 mobo, memory and CPU (i7/7700). I'm only planning on using 16Gb for the next few months, but if this is a defective board or CPU, I need to figure it out now to get RMA'd.

I am also having the exact same problem with the same set up on the Maximus IX Hero board. As you said, with memory slots A1 or A2 populated, my PC will not POST, giving me the error code 55 and then cycling 01-03. I have an i7 7700K, I've tried multiple memory kits, currently running G.Skill 32GB (4x8) 3866Mhz F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR kit, however, I am only able to POST with 2 DIMMs installed in either B1 or B2. I've tried everything everyone recommended in this thread and no luck.

Gabrielmage
03-20-2017, 01:02 PM
I am also having the exact same problem with the same set up on the Maximus IX Hero board. As you said, with memory slots A1 or A2 populated, my PC will not POST, giving me the error code 55 and then cycling 01-03. I have an i7 7700K, I've tried multiple memory kits, currently running G.Skill 32GB (4x8) 3866Mhz F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR kit, however, I am only able to POST with 2 DIMMs installed in either B1 or B2. I've tried everything everyone recommended in this thread and no luck.

Did you have the chance to try your CPU in another motherboard? My CPU replacement should be in the way soon

steelerman37
03-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Here's what I've done so far, just so you (and Gabriel) understand my troubleshooting:

1) Upgraded bios on the MB to 8.01 since what it came with (6.01) didn't detect my memory correctly (even with XMP enabled)
2) Tried both sticks in each slot, as well as running Memtest86 (NOT memtest86+) for those slots that allowed boot. Result: Anything in A1 or A2 would not post.
3) Removed CPU cooler fan power per another thread's recommendation
4) Removed CPU, removed MB and checked for bent pins, and bent CPU
5) Removed all PCIe cards
6) Used ROG Modes 1, then 2

A tried a few additional miscellaneous settings adjustments, but they were just for my own discovery purposes. I have NOT been able to try my CPU in another MB since I only have this single LGA1151 kit.

None of the above items altered the end result: A1/A2 slots not only won't detect RAM and allow post, they prevent post no matter what's in B1/B2. Anything in B1/B2 allows post.

I'm thinking about waiting until Gabriel has installed and tested the new CPU before deciding how to proceed.

ezpzlmnsqz
03-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Here's what I've done so far, just so you (and Gabriel) understand my troubleshooting:

1) Upgraded bios on the MB to 8.01 since what it came with (6.01) didn't detect my memory correctly (even with XMP enabled)
2) Tried both sticks in each slot, as well as running Memtest86 (NOT memtest86+) for those slots that allowed boot. Result: Anything in A1 or A2 would not post.
3) Removed CPU cooler fan power per another thread's recommendation
4) Removed CPU, removed MB and checked for bent pins, and bent CPU
5) Removed all PCIe cards
6) Used ROG Modes 1, then 2

A tried a few additional miscellaneous settings adjustments, but they were just for my own discovery purposes. I have NOT been able to try my CPU in another MB since I only have this single LGA1151 kit.

None of the above items altered the end result: A1/A2 slots not only won't detect RAM and allow post, they prevent post no matter what's in B1/B2. Anything in B1/B2 allows post.

I'm thinking about waiting until Gabriel has installed and tested the new CPU before deciding how to proceed.

Hey, sorry about getting back so late and I apologize, I'm on my phone right now.

I was finally able to POST with 4 DIMMS. I'm not sure what the issue was or what cause it to happen. But how I resolved it was by rolling back to 701 and reflashing 801, then removing all PCI cards. At this moment I was still unable to POST, so I then proceeded to remove the my CPU cooler and reseat the CPU. I powered on the system​ without the cooler installed just to see if that'd make a difference, thus it finally POST'd with all 4 DIMMs populated. I successfully POST'd with the CPU cooler and PCI cards installed as well.

Note: I did in fact try all of the aforementioned steps before with no success, I'm not sure why it worked for me this time.

mcleod52
03-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Odd behavior for sure. Looks like it was that last reseating of the CPU that fixed things.

Gabrielmage
03-23-2017, 08:47 PM
Hey Guys, here's the update I promised you,

Got my replacement CPU from intel today. I Installed it with all 4 dimms at the same time and everything worked flawlessly. In my case I'm guessing something happened with my 2nd motherboard and my old CPU, they got damaged at the same time for god knows what reason, they only thing i can think of is that i was OCing the CPU at that time, 4.8Ghz auto-config by asus AiSuite, maybe i was unlucky enough to had a weak CPU... honestly i don't really know

steelerman37
03-24-2017, 09:16 PM
Hey Guys, here's the update I promised you,

Got my replacement CPU from intel today. I Installed it with all 4 dimms at the same time and everything worked flawlessly. I'm my case I'm guessing something happened with my 2nd motherboard and my old CPU, they got damaged at the same time for god knows what reason, they only thing i can think of is that i was OCing the CPU at that time, 4.8Ghz auto-config by asus AiSuite, maybe i was unlucky enough to had a weak CPU... honestly i don't really know

So it's your determination that it was both the CPU and motherboard, and not just the CPU? I've reseated everything and nothing looks damaged, so not sure which component to go after first.

Gabrielmage
03-25-2017, 01:27 PM
So it's your determination that it was both the CPU and motherboard, and not just the CPU? I've reseated everything and nothing looks damaged, so not sure which component to go after first.

I too reseated the CPU and noticed nothing wrong, but In this case I'm sure this was a faulty CPU, what I'm not sure is what caused it to fail... because it worked for a while then both it and my motherboard (the 2nd I had, now I'm running my 3rd) got damaged.

I'd advise you to RMA your CPU, just to be sure you have a good one. Intel was very receptive of my issue, also if you bought it on amazon and still are between the return period, you can get a replacement really fast.

steelerman37
04-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Got my replacement CPU from NewEgg and after installing, same exact issue. Since it was past the replacement period, I'm now dealing directly with Asus for Mobo RMA. Will post once I get the replacement and have set the system back up again.

steelerman37
04-30-2017, 06:35 PM
So I returned my original mobo after getting a replacement CPU that was fine. Asus simply flashed the mobo and returned it to me with no other work, and suddenly everything is working fine now. Have tried both sticks in A1/A2 and now have in A1/B1, and all works correctly. I know for a fact that I flashed the mobo as soon as I got it, but I also know that they didn't send me a replacement, so the mystery continues, though all is working correctly now.

mcleod52
05-01-2017, 10:03 PM
thanks for the update. Interesting outcome ....

steelerman37
05-02-2017, 10:08 PM
thanks for the update. Interesting outcome ....

Yeah, it was very interesting to me since I did a bios update as part of my overall trouble shooting. What's REALLY interesting is that the bios that's currently on my Mobo isn't actually available on the Asus public download site. That tells me that something was hinky with my board that could only get rectified with a custom update. Not sure what's going to happen when I get a year or so down the line and decide to update it. Guess time will tell, but I'm not messing with it at all at this point.

Raad11
06-17-2017, 03:03 AM
Yeah, it was very interesting to me since I did a bios update as part of my overall trouble shooting. What's REALLY interesting is that the bios that's currently on my Mobo isn't actually available on the Asus public download site. That tells me that something was hinky with my board that could only get rectified with a custom update. Not sure what's going to happen when I get a year or so down the line and decide to update it. Guess time will tell, but I'm not messing with it at all at this point.

What version BIOS does CPU-Z say you're running?

qwertz
08-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Hi,
Is it possible that maximus hero came with bent pins or is it ruled out?
Does asus take it back?

Joburgtaxi
10-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Hi,
Is it possible that maximus hero came with bent pins or is it ruled out?
Does asus take it back?

Hi all I was having pretty much the same issue with the Maximus ix hero where no matter what I did it would not see RAM chip in slot 1A, all of the other 3 slots were working but as soon as a chip was put in A1 it failed to post and boot with code 01 03 and CC. After hours of messing around I decided to pull th processor and with a magnified glass noticed one single pin in the processor socket was slightly bent. With a needle I managed to streighten the pin, reseat and thermal paist the processor and hey presto to my surprise it saw the memory in A1 slot the first time, I was also able to run memory in XMP which I was not able to before as the machine would not boot with XMP on.

Not sure if a bunch of these are coming out the factory with a bent pin bit as a few are having the same issue it seems possible. Will add a pic of the bent pin latter.*

Tiberious_ST
07-20-2018, 03:39 AM
I don't mean to hijack, but everything described here also applies to my ROG Maximus Hero X Wi-fi
The system worked fine with all four memory slots working fine.....until it didn't, roughly 3 weeks after assembly.

Troubleshooting led me to the exact same outcome, the same error codes. The memory is all fully functional when swapped into B1 and B2, but if A1 and A2 are populated (or A1 OR A2) the system won't post.

I noticed a slight discoloration near the RGB header nearest the memory (and LED error readout) that seemed to be related to some form of short, so I didn't argue when ASUS had me RMA the board after failure to succeed with all the troubleshooting. Unfortunately when applying the CPU socket cover, my hand slipped and I bent a few pins, costing me $75 and creating, for ASUS, a distraction. I explained this to them and asked them to not focus on the CPU socket for the problem as it existed prior to the pins being bent. I sent the board in and waited. I received that board today, it had a new SN so I knew that it wasn't the same board, but it was clearly a used board. After reassembling my system it had EXACTLY the same problem as before, as so many of you have experienced.

I have requested a NEW board, rather than a used one, for RMA. I have no idea how this will transpire, but am in hopes of getting the board I paid for, fully functional.

If anyone has found a fix for this, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Tib

cobrien
12-21-2018, 08:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, you pc won't boot with 4 dimms at the same time, but do all dimms work? Because i couldn't make it boot with the A1/2 but worked fine with B1/2

I am having the same issue. All 4 dimms work but only 2 at a time, for me they only work in the last 2 slots furthest from the CPU. If I install the 2 slots closest to the CPU I get no post at all.

Newegg won't refund RMA unless ASUS says it's defective.

jBrianj
12-24-2018, 03:46 PM
Slight variations in CPU pins on a motherboard can happen and is not normally immediately a defect. The pins just need to make proper contact. "Uneven pressure" is normally not an issue either, because only a certain voltage and amperage goes through the pins, as long as there's no short circuit and the pressure is high enough(and not too high).

For me what permanently resolved the issue: Place 2 sticks of RAM in either channels. Try to boot->It will fail with the "Failed to detect RAM" Q-code. No matter how many times you try, it wouldn't boot in A1 or in dual-channel(A or B).

Now after that, remove the cable from the CPU_FAN1 header. Try to boot->Should suddenly succeed. After the RAM succesfully booted once, I've never had an issue with booting every since, even with the CPU_FAN1 cable attached and working.

I never tried once to remove the CPU as I knew there couldn't have been anything wrong with the motherboard(brand new, CPU placed correctly in first try).

This behavior likely points to a (temporary) design defect in the motherboard hardware or firmware. What exactly it could be is beyond my knowledge.