PDA

View Full Version : Rog Centurion Headset mic is shocking

Guyvergamingtv
02-20-2017, 08:35 PM
ok so got my headset last week and only really had time to try it now. was on Teamspeak and my friends where saying it sounded aweful. i checked the settings and had a listen my self and i have to say the mic on this headset is terrible for the price of the headset. i only use it for things like skype and Teamspeak and i make my videos using a blue yeti. but the quality of the mic sound is unacceptable in todays market place.

what do you guys think?

drino
02-20-2017, 11:04 PM
If you use it only for skype or teamspeak, you defnitively choose the wrong headset, I have another brand true 7.1 headset and the mic is also ****t, this headset is for gaming, and particularly usefull on FPS, all the focus is on the speaker in this sort of headphone, mic is secondary.

Btw how is the headset in terms of audio quality and surround (if you used it on games) ?

Bahz
02-22-2017, 02:53 AM
ok so got my headset last week and only really had time to try it now. was on Teamspeak and my friends where saying it sounded aweful. i checked the settings and had a listen my self and i have to say the mic on this headset is terrible for the price of the headset. i only use it for things like skype and Teamspeak and i make my videos using a blue yeti. but the quality of the mic sound is unacceptable in todays market place.

what do you guys think?

Thanks for your feedback, I'll pass this over to our audio team for them to look into this issue.

Bahz
02-22-2017, 04:59 PM
Our audio team recommended that you try disabling ENC in the software to see if it fixes this issue.

Hatzi999
02-25-2017, 06:13 PM
I have the same problem. My friends say that the microphone quality is very bad...
And it doesnt matter if I activate or deactivate ENC at the audio station. How can i deactivate it in the software?
I expected more from such an expensive Headset :/

I hope you can help me here :)

scrap264
02-28-2017, 02:04 AM
Where did you get the headset from? Why is asus so strange in the way they sell and market their products? Its such a shame because they're products are generally top of the line and i love them!

Hatzi999
02-28-2017, 06:56 AM
I bought it here: https://www.proshop.de/KopfhoererHeadsets/ASUS-ROG-Centurion/2577017

Guyvergamingtv
02-28-2017, 09:23 AM
If you use it only for skype or teamspeak, you defnitively choose the wrong headset, I have another brand true 7.1 headset and the mic is also ****t, this headset is for gaming, and particularly usefull on FPS, all the focus is on the speaker in this sort of headphone, mic is secondary.

Btw how is the headset in terms of audio quality and surround (if you used it on games) ?

I use it for gaming as i have been a gamer for many, many years. as said i have a yeti for recording my review videos and such but for gaming i use like to use the headset mic for coms as it wont pick up the fans and the keyboard like the yeti will. but for the price of the headset i would expect a far better quality mic. i have always used 7.1 sound headsets and the mic's on other brands have been far better. this is my first Asus ROG headset.
the sound from the headset itself is great, some of the best yet and would recommend them for that alone but the mic is a serious let down.

just sounds bad and crackles, been playing with settings for ages but cant get it right. better then it was but still below acceptable slandered for a headset of this price and what it describes the mic sound as on the site.

tried playing about but so far hasn't improved the quality yet.

oh and for the person asking i got my headset from Overclockers in the UK

Hatzi999
02-28-2017, 10:26 AM
I think that there have to be an technical issue with the microphone. All Test-Reports I have read, said that the sound is incredible and the microphone is very good.
Either they got other samples with better mic (I dont think so...) or many of the Centurion Headsets have an issue.

@Bahz Do you or your team have any other idea what could be the reason of the bad microphone quality. If you have an good sample, maybe you could upload a voice sample so we can see if we have too high claims. Otherwise i will complain at my trader and request a new one.

Devonkev
02-28-2017, 04:51 PM
I use it for gaming as i have been a gamer for many, many years. as said i have a yeti for recording my review videos and such but for gaming i use like to use the headset mic for coms as it wont pick up the fans and the keyboard like the yeti will. but for the price of the headset i would expect a far better quality mic. i have always used 7.1 sound headsets and the mic's on other brands have been far better. this is my first Asus ROG headset.
the sound from the headset itself is great, some of the best yet and would recommend them for that alone but the mic is a serious let down.

just sounds bad and crackles, been playing with settings for ages but cant get it right. better then it was but still below acceptable slandered for a headset of this price and what it describes the mic sound as on the site.

tried playing about but so far hasn't improved the quality yet.

oh and for the person asking i got my headset from Overclockers in the UK

I use a Asus u7 soundcard make sure you set the mic gain in the software at around 89%. If I don't , I get the same problem your describing *when communicating with team mates on Teamspeak

Guyvergamingtv
03-03-2017, 01:23 PM
even if the gain is adjusted is still sounds terrible. the crackling aside the actual sound of my voice is terrible. i may request another headset and see if it just a bad first batch. have to see. i will play with it more over the weekend.

Hatzi999
03-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Yea I still have the problem. My friends say that the microphone quality is like a 2€ Headset!

Hatzi999
03-03-2017, 08:47 PM
I found a Video on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/wdIoknlhyHA?t=4m

Exactly like this is my microphone too....
@Bahz is this the wanted sound quality from Asus? It sounds soo bad. And if it isn´t a hardware/software problem,
I will send back my Headset and take another one. This is no acceptable Microphone quality for such an expensive Headset!!!

Guyvergamingtv
03-04-2017, 10:14 AM
I found a Video on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/wdIoknlhyHA?t=4m

Exactly like this is my microphone too....
@Bahz is this the wanted sound quality from Asus? It sounds soo bad. And if it isn´t a hardware/software problem,
I will send back my Headset and take another one. This is no acceptable Microphone quality for such an expensive Headset!!!

Yup mine is like that, but tbh that is me doing the review :P sorry about the video quality, old webcam.

givaniro
03-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Ive got the same issue, all my friends think im inside a bottle and talking.
Only reason im not returning it is because i got it on sale for 110 euros and the sound quality is amazing of the headphones themselves.

Its just a shame that the mic i so low quality! :(

Devonkev
03-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Sorry to hear you chaps are still having problems with your microphones. Hopefully this can be sorted with a firmware update rather than going through the hassle of returning! *

*On the subject of the centurion out of interest just how heavy do they feel considering how many drivers are in them??? Are they comfortable after long gaming sessions?.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Kevin *

Hatzi999
03-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Sorry to hear you chaps are still having problems with your microphones. Hopefully this can be sorted with a firmware update rather than going through the hassle of returning! *

*On the subject of the centurion out of interest just how heavy do they feel considering how many drivers are in them??? Are they comfortable after long gaming sessions?.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Kevin *

Yea hopfully they can fix it with a firmwareupdate....
It is very heavy but it doesnt feel comfortable after long gaming sessions (15h). And the sound is incredible!

Bahz
03-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, I'll pass all the feedback over to our audio team and I'll make sure it gets looked into.

Guyvergamingtv
03-07-2017, 02:20 PM
it isnt super heavy and the head strap feels nice and comfy to me. but not worn it for super long session as dont have time these days. heard another mic test the other day on youtube and it sounded better then ours. going to mess this week with it and if i cant sort it i will be returning for either another unit or a refund.

Hatzi999
03-07-2017, 02:40 PM
it isnt super heavy and the head strap feels nice and comfy to me. but not worn it for super long session as dont have time these days. heard another mic test the other day on youtube and it sounded better then ours. going to mess this week with it and if i cant sort it i will be returning for either another unit or a refund.

Could you pls post the Youtube Link here? I cant find any new video :)

Guyvergamingtv
03-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Ye sorry, here is the link. https://youtu.be/EImd3oTqOHY

Hatzi999
03-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Holy ****... The sound quality in this video is much better than mine :O

Guyvergamingtv
03-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Ye and mine as you heard in the other video. We either have defective mics or its a driver issue as my pc had no problem with the old headset.

Guyvergamingtv
03-09-2017, 02:07 PM
ok so after some playing about i have a question, how many of you have the awesome looking base unit plugged into a usb 3 port?

if so take it out and try a usb 2.0. seems to clear up the mic a lot and sound better. not sure why but this is the result i am getting atm.

let me know as i am still messing about with it.

Hatzi999
03-09-2017, 02:18 PM
ok so after some playing about i have a question, how many of you have the awesome looking base unit plugged into a usb 3 port?

if so take it out and try a usb 2.0. seems to clear up the mic a lot and sound better. not sure why but this is the result i am getting atm.

let me know as i am still messing about with it.

I tried it with USB 3.0 and 2.0. At the moment it is plugged in a USB 3.0 HUB inside my Monitor... I cant play with it, when it is connected to usb 2.0 because the cable is too short... But i tried it once, and nothing changed.

Maybe you could upload another video with your sound quality on USB 2.0 :))

Guyvergamingtv
03-09-2017, 04:37 PM
ye i will do another video when i have played some more with it. i have into a usb 2.0 hub atm and iv had in into a usb 2.0 port on the main pc. the cable are far too short i agree. they should be a lot longer, specially with the set ups people have. i have a 3.0 extender coming but will plug into a 2.0 and see how that works as the headset and gear is at the opposite side of the desk to the pc. will update how it goes soon.

Ljugtomten
03-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Anyone got any update on this or suggestions on mic settings in Windows 10?

Recently bought this headset to replace Razer Chroma and my friends say that I sound like crap!
The audio in the headphones are really nice but the mic is a major letdown and should never allowed to be released in this state considering the cost of the Centurion.

Hatzi999
03-11-2017, 08:24 PM
Anyone got any update on this or suggestions on mic settings in Windows 10?

Recently bought this headset to replace Razer Chroma and my friends say that I sound like crap!
The audio in the headphones are really nice but the mic is a major letdown and should never allowed to be released in this state considering the cost of the Centurion.

Yes I think i got an solution :)

1. Go to the Properties of your microphone then go on configure and then on level. Then put it up to +30db or 100%

2. Then go to the Sonic Studio and set the Recording Volume to ~15-20. Then my friend said, that I sound much better.

Hope it will work for you too :)

Hatzi999
03-11-2017, 08:27 PM
The last picture is wrong! :)

Ljugtomten
03-11-2017, 09:24 PM

Thanks Hatzi999, these settings are a huge improvement according to my friends on Discord.

Bahz
03-13-2017, 08:39 AM

1. Go to the Properties of your microphone then go on configure and then on level. Then put it up to +30db or 100%

2. Then go to the Sonic Studio and set the Recording Volume to ~15-20. Then my friend said, that I sound much better.

Hope it will work for you too :)

Thanks for sharing this solution with others.

For those who are still having some audio quality issues with the microphone, then I would also recommend the following:

1) Disable ENC
2) Uninstall Sonic Studio to reduce compatibility issue
3) Try plugging into USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0 port or use motherboard native USB ports and avoid using external USB ports

CaptainDeathCap
03-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Thanks for sharing this solution with others.

For those who are still having some audio quality issues with the microphone, then I would also recommend the following:

1) Disable ENC
2) Uninstall Sonic Studio to reduce compatibility issue
3) Try plugging into USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0 port or use motherboard native USB ports and avoid using external USB ports

This isn't a solution. It only makes the issue bearable. The sound quality is still unacceptable for a headset at this pricepoint. Any news on a software fix would be greatly appreciated.

(also, 'Disable ENC'? Excuse me? Where is this secret option located?)

Ljugtomten
03-21-2017, 03:43 PM
This isn't a solution. It only makes the issue bearable. The sound quality is still unacceptable for a headset at this pricepoint. Any news on a software fix would be greatly appreciated.

To disable ENC you need an old priest and a young priest....

Well, either that or flip the control station over and move the dip-switch with something pointy. (I have ENC enabled)

Bahz
03-22-2017, 07:30 AM

Our audio team is looking into alternative solutions with our audio chipset vendor, this is about as much as I can share so far but we're definitely looking into it.

Ljugtomten
03-22-2017, 08:46 AM
Our audio team is looking into alternative solutions with our audio chipset vendor, this is about as much as I can share so far but we're definitely looking into it.

While we wait, I'd suggest that you remove the section "Crystal-clear communication" at https://www.asus.com/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Centurion/
With the current state of the product, that is false advertising as is cannot even compete with products that costs only a tenth as much as the ROG Centurion regarding "Crystal-clear communication".

Bahz
03-23-2017, 04:22 AM
While we wait, I'd suggest that you remove the section "Crystal-clear communication" at https://www.asus.com/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Centurion/
With the current state of the product, that is false advertising as is cannot even compete with products that costs only a tenth as much as the ROG Centurion regarding "Crystal-clear communication".

I'll pass on your feedback to the team responsible for them to review. Thanks.

Guyvergamingtv
03-24-2017, 12:17 PM
hi guys,

well been playing and so far this is the best i can get the mic to sound. still not as advertised but better then it was.

plugged into main pc via extension and Asus software taken off for now. lets hope they can sort this soon and make the headsets worth what we paid for them.
sound quality video below.

https://youtu.be/3VrxcGtbCQM

shargoth
03-29-2017, 08:18 PM
hi guys,

still no news on the microphone ?

Bahz
03-30-2017, 12:18 AM
hi guys,

still no news on the microphone ?

I have updated recently as our audio team is looking into this issue, I will update the information in this thread when there are any new updates available.

Guyvergamingtv
03-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Nope, as above Asus are looking into it and I haven't had time
To play and test more since I posted the video above of the slightly better quality achieved. Hopefully the audio guys as Asus can help us improve the quality more to what we expect from this price range of headset.

tygrysex
03-31-2017, 09:41 PM
Hi
Got the same problem, my was delivered yesterday. The sound quality is amazing but I did play with my friends today and we ware talking on Discord and they said the quality of the microphone is a joke. I recorded my voice and that unfortunately true :( My 500 years old Razer Chimaera is so much better regarding to the microphone... Any updates?

Dragomil
04-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Hi guys!

I've read the whole thread now and I can confirm I aswell have the same problem as stated above. I got the Centurion just days ago and finally tried it without my podcaster microphone. The letdown was incredible.

After ~5 hours of playing around with it + letting talented sound techs try to make it sound better, we did not come up with a solution. Either I've recieved a bad sample or there has to be a firmware update / driver update coming very very soon.

I use the Røde Podcaster USB, so the mic problem doesen't affect me directly. But for those who doesen't have an external mic... I'm feel bad for you :(

The sound quality, design and comfort of the headset in general is brilliant and I love it. But the microphone problem HAS to get a fix before the news spreads to the majority. And hopefully before I finish my review of it aswell.

My two cents. Best wishes guys & much love.

-Anton

Bahz
04-02-2017, 02:41 PM
No news yet but we do appreciate everyone coming forward to report this issue on the forum. The last update from our audio team is that they're looking into the issue and working with our audio chipset vendor.

Dragomil
04-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Thank you my friend. Would be nice to get a fix sometime soon, as the headsets are getting shipped out already. :)

Have a good day!

Dragomil
04-03-2017, 01:28 PM
By the way, Bahz, or anybody else. Is the Centurion meant to exist in the ROG Armoury software? Or does it simply has its own software with the Sonic Radar Pro software?

Bahz
04-06-2017, 11:36 AM
By the way, Bahz, or anybody else. Is the Centurion meant to exist in the ROG Armoury software? Or does it simply has its own software with the Sonic Radar Pro software?

The ROG Strix audio products will use Sonic Studio and shouldn't be detected inside of ROG Armoury.

shargoth
04-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Always nothing ? There is no alternative to uninstall Sonic Studio ?

Bahz
04-10-2017, 09:20 AM
Always nothing ? There is no alternative to uninstall Sonic Studio ?

No updates yet from our audio team but once they do I'll be sure to share it with everyone right away.

BoutTime01
04-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Quite fancied one of these myself but much like the XG Station 2 it appears it has been released before its ready.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jcswe
04-11-2017, 08:02 AM
I have exactly the same problem with my headset. The microphone is terribly bad :mad: , hope it will be an update soon.

poo417
04-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Yeah same problem here. The quality of the mic is horrendous. I knew it was the weak point but my sons free head set that came with his ps sounds better!

fieldfolmer
04-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Hey I bought this headset asus rog centurion 7.1
and it has probably the best sound but the microphone is really crap what Asus has planned to do about the problem or do I just have my money back

Guyvergamingtv
04-17-2017, 09:23 PM
we are still waiting to hear from Asus, they are looking into it but i have a video update on here that might help make your mic sound a little better

gbakeriv
04-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Just wanted to contribute my 2c as a new member of ROG with both a Maximus IX Hero and the Centurion:

I too am seriously disappointed with the mic quality. I've tried different USB ports, both versions of drivers (now half a year old), running without the drivers, ENC, the "perfect voice" and "noise gate" parameters and line levels on both native Windows software and Sonic Studio. Its certainly serviceable but given the premium price, my friends shouldn't be telling me that their stock Apple earphones record better than my ROG headset. Slightly absurd!

I appreciate the mod reaching out to the chipset designer, but I am slightly worried that this may be hardware based. When I unplug the secondary USB source cable, the headphones still function and sound the same...I've tried multiple different USB ports, and using an external AC adapter helped perhaps slightly, but it still sounds overall just dull.

My peers often look to me as a source of advice for electronic devices (toys)--I recently recommended ROG to a close college friend interested in a nice PC laptop. I hope that this issue is resolved quickly so that I can continue to recommend what I thought is a high quality gaming brand. Also crossing my fingers that I wont have such luck with my mobo that arrived yesterday :eek:

Phyxius
04-20-2017, 05:28 PM
Bought the Centurion yesterday, after a good hour trying to setup a decent mic configuration kinda gave up. Hope Asus comes through with a fix for the mic quality considering the price range of this headset.

WhiteR_HUN
04-24-2017, 07:40 PM
1 programmer. 1 evening or 2 do software updates. Why is this so complicated? The community is so angry! You do not believe it!

BoutTime01
04-24-2017, 08:09 PM
Figure if this was software it would've been fixed by now. That said....How come none of the reviews noticed the bad mic?

Jcswe
04-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Any new information about what's happening?

JRW21
04-28-2017, 09:06 AM
I actually intended to purchase the ROG Centurion Headset around about now, however with the microphone being so bad and no update from Asus regarding what is going on I guess I am going to pass.
Shame really was looking forward to it...*

Phyxius
05-01-2017, 03:05 PM
It would be a decent thing to at least get a status update on this matter from an Asus representative.

gbakeriv
05-01-2017, 07:51 PM
I find it somewhat odd that this may be a software issue and that my ROG Maximux IX Hero I just built on comes with Sonic Studio/Radar III whereas the Centurion I purchased a week earlier only comes with Studio/Radar II...

I'm contemplating purchasing a USB 3.0 OTG power cable and a male-to-male 3.0 USB cable to see if the power cable is the problem. If anyone else has these on hand it might be worth checking out, as I've heard from several people that the issue seems to be an underpowered microphone.

Crowleyface
05-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Any luck with a different cable?

Just to add my 2p; my friend and I have both bought Centurions and both mics are bloody awful, would really like an actual answer before we RMA or refund as this sound quality is just unacceptable.

antomime
05-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Same Issue ROG Centurion microphone sounds like crap, its poor quality!

The Strix 7.1 (COREDED) headset (Basicly the same one as the ROG Centurion, but not compatible to swap parts from) out performs the ROG Centurion's mic, as i've owned both & literally just swapped them in TS & everyones says the same Strix for the Mic win. Which is dissapointing, I hope Asus offers a fix for the muffled mic.

Shame the Strix one doesnt work with windows 10 (dont say it does, it does Not 100% work! nor 100% of the time due to not working with win10 e.t.c.) or else i wouldnt of needed to buy this headset & feel ripped off.

Guyvergamingtv
05-12-2017, 12:24 AM
hi all, not heard anything yet but im sure they are working in the problem. fingers crossed they can sort it soon.

S_the_Great
05-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Hello everyone!

Got the same problem with the microphone (my headset is brand new). It sounds muffled no matter what I try (everything off/on), Hope there will be a fix soon because I had way better microphones on 15€ headsets (Sound is great tho).

Greetings

HarathAU
05-31-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm having the same issues and i really hope they get it sorted because it's an amazing headset otherwise.

shargoth
06-01-2017, 12:24 AM
You gave a patch some time ago, in betas for the sound card, it changes practically nothing, and now I have slight fingers in the left ear, it never fell etc, frankly I start to have You go out of the material is saying good quality but you do not get the drivers quio go with !!!!

Bahz
06-01-2017, 03:20 AM
A new firmware will be available in a few days, please check back on the product page in a few days and give it a try. It would be much appreciated if everyone can share their results once you've tested the new firmware.

shargoth
06-02-2017, 11:48 AM
And the small noise in the left ear is going to be corrected or I can send my headset ???

TanerTEACHER
06-03-2017, 11:53 PM
When will come new firmware? I bought this headset few days ago. Seller said that I could give back it in fifteen days. If it isn't fixed I will give back this headset. I always use discord and teamspeak, mic is very important to me. Mic is below avarage quality (too low quality). We don't want perfect mic, avarage quality is enough for us.

S_the_Great
06-04-2017, 12:20 AM
When will come new firmware? I bought this headset few days ago. Seller said that I could give back it in fifteen days. If it isn't fixed I will give back this headset. I always use discord and teamspeak, mic is very important to me. Mic is below avarage quality (too low quality). We don't want perfect mic, avarage quality is enough for us.

For that price and how they advertised the crystal clear communication I do want a perfect mic.

HarathAU
06-05-2017, 05:49 AM
For that price and how they advertised the crystal clear communication I do want a perfect mic.

yeah i tend to agree, after paying something like $370AU or something and having to wait forever, anything less than perfect is pretty much not on.

Bahz
06-05-2017, 06:26 AM
I've been told that the final testing for this firmware will be completed by this week and it should be available sometime before the end of this week.

S_the_Great
06-09-2017, 04:42 PM
I've been told that the final testing for this firmware will be completed by this week and it should be available sometime before the end of this week.

Still no update available and its's the end of the (work-) week. When will the update be downloadable?

antomime
06-10-2017, 05:26 AM
Still no update available and its's the end of the (work-) week. When will the update be downloadable?

Cant be to much longer, some of the other Asus products bios & utilitys have just been updated
Edit* Or not......

Phyxius
06-13-2017, 12:02 AM
Still nothing and I can't shake the feelling that the "fix" won't actually fix anything.

And here we are with a 260€ headset with "crystal clear communication" that's worse than a 10€ headset. What a let down by Asus.

Bahz
06-13-2017, 01:25 AM
Sorry, I was told last Friday is when it will be uploaded and usually takes a day to go online, so it would have been up on Sat. I have followed up with our audio team and will ask them to push our support team to release as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.

HarathAU
06-13-2017, 05:07 AM
Still nothing and I can't shake the feelling that the "fix" won't actually fix anything.

And here we are with a 260€ headset with "crystal clear communication" that's worse than a 10€ headset. What a let down by Asus.

yeah i'm also kind of curious about how a firmware update is going to fix what could end up being a crappy mic, and being stuck with an awesome headset as far as sound quality goes... but when i talk to my friends, i'm either too quiet, distorted or sound like i'm being muffled with a gag...

it's really quite disappointing considering the price point and the marketing behind the headset also being so expensive for a headset that isn't even wireless it's starting to feel like a poor purchase. I can't say i'm overly suprised... i have been buying asus motherboards for years and always recommended them due to the quality, even the graphics cards are pretty good but maybe thats where it shou'd stop, i love my PG348Q 34" ultrawide monitor, but i'd be lying if i said it didn't have flaws and was $600 more than the same monitor from another company.

my friend also bought one brand new the same time i did, took it back home with him because he was overseas at the time found out that there was no monitor stand in the box and was told by support that they wouldn't replace the monitor stand and he had to return it where he got it, even though he was overseas at the time.

I'm seriously considering returning the headset and going for a better wireless solution because the cord is also super bulky and kind of gets in the way of things somtimes and the way it all goes together seems really not well thought out, the way the amp sits in the dock, but doesn't really etc...

Bahz
06-14-2017, 10:16 AM
I received update that there was a bug that they had to fix, the new FW will be updated to the server this Friday and should be available on Saturday (6/17)

antomime
06-14-2017, 07:12 PM
https://www.asus.com/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Centurion/HelpDesk_Download/
FW up

CaptainDeathCap
06-14-2017, 11:45 PM
I'll take it, I guess. Already purchased a blue Yeti anyway. :rolleyes:

Bahz
06-15-2017, 02:19 AM
https://www.asus.com/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Centurion/HelpDesk_Download/
FW up

That's much sooner than what they told me. If everyone can please test and share your results and I will collect back all the feedback for our audio team. Thanks.

shargoth
06-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Hello, finally the problem is to set up a high-end headset, it was very long to solve ... there would have been better output the good driver before the helmet no ??? So.
Otherwise I always have a problem, I have little noise parasite from time to time in the left ear, these parasites are fract not high volume but it is annoying ... I go what, I refer the Helmet at buyer's for warranty?
Last thing a bracket for ac accesories tells you not to put one in place since you made more and more accessory, for a brand renamed as Asus and ROG top product, ca would be a minimum ...

Phyxius
06-15-2017, 01:23 PM
That's much sooner than what they told me. If everyone can please test and share your results and I will collect back all the feedback for our audio team. Thanks.

I did test it, nearly a month ago. This is the exact same beta version (and by same version I mean the exact same FILE) you sent me via PM to test and provide feedback, which was negative, there was 0 improvement. I provided all the details of the testing environment, my setup, everything. Did it honestly took a month to upload a 160kb useless file?

This is by far the worst customer support and the most deceiving product marketing I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Being a fan of Asus products for a number of years now, I can't help but to feel like I just got robbed of 260€.

BoutTime01
06-15-2017, 01:38 PM
I did test it, nearly a month ago. This is the exact same beta version (and by same version I mean the exact same FILE) you sent me via PM to test and provide feedback, which was negative, there was 0 improvement. I provided all the details of the testing environment, my setup, everything. Did it honestly took a month to upload a 160kb useless file?

This is by far the worst customer support and the most deceiving product marketing I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Being a fan of Asus products for a number of years now, I can't help but to feel like I just got robbed of 260€.
Unfortunately it's the early adopters (who are putting the most faith in the Asus brand) that pay the price. What I don't get is why this issue was not present in any of the reviews I've read. This headset got amazing reviews. I really wanted to get one, but not a chance now I'm afraid. And I would hardly even use the mic. It's the principle. You pay that sort of money and you should expect it to work without issue.

SchlimmerPhil
06-15-2017, 09:12 PM

So downloaded the new firmware and the new software, did for the software a clean install and it's even worse than before.
Tried every fix, every tip wich was here or elswere and nothing works.
I am really disappointed, especially because I was told to wait for this patch wich should fix the problem. :( Will definitely send the headset back.

antomime
06-15-2017, 09:50 PM
So downloaded the new firmware and the new software, did for the software a clean install and it's even worse than before.
I am really disappointed, especially because I was told to wait for this patch wich should fix the problem. :( Will definitely send the headset back.

Which parts worse? the audio or the mic?

Also oh they added new Software?

ROG7.1_Setup_V1.1.15
(i dont have Nvidia HD audio driver, Nor Asus Realtek audio drivers, just the windows version of Realtek Driver, due to issues with Asus one & the Headset software)
Redid my audio settings, its sounds fine.
Turned my Mic up to 90 in the Sound settings > Task Bar, no complaints as yet.

*Edit, i heard it through a friends PC via teamspeak while he held push to talk open, so there could be issues with this testing method but he said thats what he hears as well.
I heard the muffledness with a clarity of my voice in it. Only way to discribe it. So muffleness is still there but sound clarity of voice was improved.

Going back to something i said ages ago, i believe the issue could be due to the small hole for sound to go through, compared to the strix 7.1 headsets mic which sounds damm Fine!
Hate to be right on this....

Bahz
06-16-2017, 01:05 AM

It's not exactly the same file, all betas have to pass testing internally before it becomes an official release. They discovered a few issues with it so they had to adjust and retest before uploading. I think natural assumption is worst thing you can do without actually knowing the facts. Please note that this a software (FW) side tweak so things need to improve in steps, and we need to collect feedback from a large sample size because audio perception differs from person to person. Some that tested said there's improvement and some like you said there isn't, but we need to get all the finest details so we can keep adjusting.

Bahz
06-16-2017, 01:07 AM

As mentioned by antomime, more details on how it's worse than before would be much appreciated.

shargoth
06-16-2017, 11:09 AM
HI,

Otherwise I always have a problem, I have little noise parasite from time to time in the left ear, these parasites are fract not high volume but it is annoying ... I go what, I refer the Helmet at buyer's for warranty?

WAKE UP !!!!!!!!!!

Phyxius
06-16-2017, 12:03 PM
It's not exactly the same file, all betas have to pass testing internally before it becomes an official release. They discovered a few issues with it so they had to adjust and retest before uploading. I think natural assumption is worst thing you can do without actually knowing the facts. Please note that this a software (FW) side tweak so things need to improve in steps, and we need to collect feedback from a large sample size because audio perception differs from person to person. Some that tested said there's improvement and some like you said there isn't, but we need to get all the finest details so we can keep adjusting.

Check the attached image, modified date differs by a couple of hours.

StuGatz83
06-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Even with new update the mic is still terrible, no change at all. All this time waiting for an update that did absolutely nothing, the ROG brand is turning to sh*t.

Bahz
06-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Check the attached image, modified date differs by a couple of hours.

They modified settings through in the file which are string values so the size of the FW build doesn't change but string values changed, if it was really the exact same file then they should just use the exact same file with that same modified date that they provided me before. They said they made changes to me and I think I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Have you also downloaded the latest software which was released the day after?
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Accessory/Headset/ROG71_Setup_V1115.zip?_ga=2.73211411.1672626076.14 97619439-1947456435.1450434447

TwinklePaws
06-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Hey, even after the latest update the problem with the microphone persists for me. My friends tell me I sound very muffled and they can't understand me when I am talking. Is there any ETA on a fix? It's a bummer to spend that much money on something with a quality of a toy included in a happy meal :(.

SchlimmerPhil
06-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Which parts worse? the audio or the mic?

Also oh they added new Software?

ROG7.1_Setup_V1.1.15
(i dont have Nvidia HD audio driver, Nor Asus Realtek audio drivers, just the windows version of Realtek Driver, due to issues with Asus one & the Headset software)
Redid my audo settings, its sounds fine.

As mentioned by antomime, more details on how it's worse than before would be much appreciated.

The Audio is still awesome, but the Quality of the mic. A Quote from a friend: "So now I know how my deaf grandma must hear me. No pitches, only dull. And underwater. While outside are explosions."
So the sound is really dull, so you don't understand a whole sentence. If I try to speak louder the mic is cracking.

Phyxius
06-16-2017, 03:28 PM
They modified settings through in the file which are string values so the size of the FW build doesn't change but string values changed, if it was really the exact same file then they should just use the exact same file with that same modified date that they provided me before. They said they made changes to me and I think I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Have you also downloaded the latest software which was released the day after?
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Accessory/Headset/ROG71_Setup_V1115.zip?_ga=2.73211411.1672626076.14 97619439-1947456435.1450434447

Yes I also downloaded and clean installed the latest software. Still no change.

Even if the file does have some differences it is still astounding that after a month of testing (file was last modified on 15/05 and it was made available on 15/06) none of the engineers came to the conclusion that the FW delivered no real change.

Bahz
06-16-2017, 05:10 PM
Yes I also downloaded and clean installed the latest software. Still no change.

Even if the file does have some differences it is still astounding that after a month of testing (file was last modified on 15/05 and it was made available on 15/06) none of the engineers came to the conclusion that the FW delivered no real change.

As I mentioned, audio perception differs so it's only accurate to collect a large sample size and not base it on 1-2 people. So far there has been quite a few that said there has been improvement so we can't just take your word over them but when we actually have a larger sample size and it proves that there wasn't any improvements then that is convincing, right?

Why would they release it if they think it didn't offer any improvement? It's because they believe it does and tested and confirmed that it does, to what degree, that's for everyone to test and determine and for us to gather all of that back and provide those results to them.

Bahz
06-16-2017, 05:18 PM
We appreciate the feedback so far from all of those that tried the new FW, I would recommend playing a bit with the gain levels and see if any adjusted settings help improve the audio quality.

antomime
06-16-2017, 11:55 PM
HI,

WAKE UP !!!!!!!!!!

i've seen your last posts.... going to offer some insight, suggestions then advice
Even with a damaged cord on my old Strix 7.1 i didnt have any issues like you have. Nor does the ROG 7.1 have any like that.
I'm assuming you've updated the software & firmware & its still there?

Going to recommend trying different usb port, 2.0 then 3.0 for the main plug, make sure both usb plusg are plugged in tho, second one is just for extra power as far as im aware. Usb with dust on it can do that, damaged USB can, also some claim about "shared" usb i forget...... just try other ports.
Go to task bar > sound > propertys for the headset, cheak the propertys to make sure no random stuff is ticked. sound levels in there can be 100 for sound with no issues, while using the external box to control the sound volume. Try dvd quality.

Once you've cheaked all those i'd take it back, you might of got a faulty one.....

Ljugtomten
06-17-2017, 09:17 PM
We appreciate the feedback so far from all of those that tried the new FW, I would recommend playing a bit with the gain levels and see if any adjusted settings help improve the audio quality.

The new FW does not solve the issue everyone have with the microphone.

Prior to release, have any of the developers tried to compare the output from this headset to the quality of the sound from IE a Razer Chroma 7.1? (I own one of those, crystal clear sound from the microphone). Most headsets from other competitors (HyperX Cloud, Logitech and so on) in the range from €50 and up offer far superior sound quality from their microphones.

If a developer by some magic does get "CRYSTAL-CLEAR COMMUNICATION" as advertised at https://www.asus.com/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Centurion/ please update us with their exact settings.

Until then, please send your developers shopping, testing headsets from competitors and realize what eveyone here expects from the microphone as products that costs less than half of a ROG 7.1 can deliver.

TWP-WOLF
06-18-2017, 02:05 AM
G'Day Folk's.

As an ASUS and ASUS ROG product customer and fan since many years and In my good belief based on experience that ASUS ROG products are of very good quality I bought the ASUS ROG Centurion 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset 13/6 2017. Judge of my surprise of disappointment as I was really shocked over how bad the microphone functioned. My friends in TeamSpeak first wonder if it was me talking since I sounded like I had my hand over the mouth as well as unrecognized distortion of my voice.

I feel it's like a ripoff in the way of false advertising (ASUS ROC Centurion web page quote "the digital microphone delivers crystal-clear voice reproduction" end quote) since I pay a lot of money (of my small pension) to get a really good headset as I found out that the microphone is a peace of crap. ASUS ROG products are known to be top of the line quality hardware's, but in this case, ASUSTEK have unfortunately undermined its good reputation by ignoring the otherwise so well-known good quality of ASUS ROG products. The sad thing is that what ever I have try to do to salve this microphone issues, it's still a useless peace of product.

If ASUS ROG don't come up with some radical solution to their useless ROG Centurion microphone , I am prepared to return my ASUS ROG Centurion headset back to the store for a refund. Not even the new firmware and software could (would) salve this microphone issue of a discouraging quality of product of ASUSTek.

In addition I also come a cross a strange ASUS ROG Centurion Sonic issue in form of a software conflict versus Battlefield Bad Company 2 Heavy Metal map (I love this game) that make the game freeze in the same time I try to login to a server. So now I have to use the ASUS ROG Centurion with out the Sonic sonic software to be able to play Battlefield Bad Company 2.

P.S. I'm a former computer technician, but that doesn't make me a pro, but never the less have some good knowledge in what I'm doing. D.S.

Thank You Folks!

Bahz
06-19-2017, 05:46 AM
We appreciate the feedback so far, I hope more people can continue to come forward to provide your testing feedback with the new FW and software. I have already forwarded all the feedback thus far to our audio team. Thanks.

TWP-WOLF
06-19-2017, 07:25 AM
Dear Bahz

Thank you so much for your concern and commitment as well as help in this strange issues.

As I have a feeling that either firmware's or software's will salve this unforeseen mistakes in the form of sub-standard quality of ASUS ROG Centurion microphone. I recommend ASUSTek to focus on a possible new and more qualitative microphone since it is removable and can be replaced on ASUS ROG Centurion Headset. Of course, there will be an additional cost for ASUSTek, but I think ASUSTek are in dept to their loyal customers who have in confidence of hight quality products of ASUS ROG bought the ASUS ROG Centurion, and hopefully still have confidence in ASUSTek and ASUS ROG products.

Thank You!

DDOLMO
06-19-2017, 08:33 AM
i've waited a long time for the new firmware.
I installed a new firmware, but Nothing changed.
Mic is still shocking......is it possible solve this problem with firmware?

i use this mic turn off the ENC.
it's little bit help to clear voice.

but, Why did you put the ENC in this product. if we have to turn off this function to improve mic performance.
why we pay for this?

I think this issue is very serious problem.
but it seems to ASUS doens't think so.

as previously stated it's not 'C R Y S T A L C L E A R V O I C E'

Hatzi999
06-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Same for me. I got the beta firmware a few weeks ago. After installing nothing changed. Still muffled and crappy voice.

Then I downloaded the new Firmware/Software Update last Friday. I removed the old driver complete and did a few restarts (at least 1000 ;) ). But nothing changed at all. No improvement. Muffled/bad voice at all.

Hope you can fix it with a update soon, otherwise it could damage the ASUS ROG Brand :(

P.S. It is very strange that no test of this headset had such an problem with the Microphone. Maybe we all in this thread got a bad / damaged charge or something
like that... :/

And thank you for your Help @Bahz. Not every Support would do that. With all beta drivers to test and quick help in this thread and so on :)

Bahz
06-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Thank you all again for coming forward to share your feedback on the new FW, right now so far it seems pretty clear that the new FW hasn't fixed the issue. We're going to continue to follow up with our audio team and push them to offer a new solution.

TWP-WOLF
06-20-2017, 06:48 AM
Dear Folks.

I just got and answer from Asus Technical Support up on my complain regarding ASUS ROG Centurion.

The answer came from Sebastian D. Asus Customer Service, Asus Technical Support and reads as follows.

ASUS Service No=E1706357022 ASUS CASEID=WTM20170618222034656

"Dear ASUS Valued Customers,
Hi

We don't really have an other fixes for the product then the ones on the support site for it. If you are unhappy with the purchase please return it to the store you bought it from.

Thanks and Regards,
Sebastian D
Asus Customer Service."

Regarding that stone cold customer response I can only see it as ASUSTek give a damn about their (loyal) customers. Seems like ASUS only want our money, even if they are to rip them of us in the way of false advertisement (ASUS ROG Centurion web page quote "the digital microphone delivers crystal-clear voice reproduction" end quote).

My suggestion (expectation) would be that they at least developed a new revision of ASUS ROG Centurion with much better microphone and offer to change mine against that. I hope that they don’t continue to selling the ASUS ROG Centurion with that horrible crappy microphone and by that mislead the customers trust in the ASUS ROG Centurion’s lack of quality.

As I said before, I'm a loyal ASUSTek & ASUS ROG customer since many years back and by that spending a huge amount of money on ASUSTek / ASUS ROG products during that time. So I think I am deserving more than this arrogant and heartless reception that really make me considering to end my time as a ASUSTek customer.

"There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance." - John C. Maxwell

Thank You!

BoutTime01
06-20-2017, 06:53 AM
That is pretty shocking.

Ljugtomten
06-20-2017, 09:56 AM
That response from the customer service seems like a person only interested in closing tickets and not really investigating anything.
Are there any internal FAQ for the customer service, where it is noted on this product that customers are experiencing really bad performance/quality from the microphone?

If that response above is the standpoint there is no way I'll buy another headset from ASUS and really consider competitors on other hardware.
In the next few months (when AMD Threadripper is realeased to the general public) I'm about to spend $2500-$3500 on new hardware, but do I want to give some of that to ASUS with a customer service like that?
All motherboards I ever bought have been ASUS, but competitors have really shaped up and are strong contenders both in performance and features..

Phyxius
06-20-2017, 02:10 PM
This is pathetic to say the least coming from a brand like ASUS. Releasing a product in this state and marketing it like they did is something expectable from a kickstarter company.

Considering the shop I bought my headset has a policy of no returns on headsets and other wearable equipment after it has been used, I've given up and just ordered a Blue Microphones snowball ice.

If there was a feasible fix for this issue I'm sure it would be fixed already, unless the engineers at ASUS are too busy RGBing everything instead of actually developing working hardware.

Sadly ASUS decided to screw over some of their customers, they won't do it again to me that's for sure.

TWP-WOLF
06-21-2017, 11:57 AM
I must nevertheless admit that the ASUS ROG Centurion Headset is a very nice product since everything except the microphone is very good of high quality. But unfortunately the microphone downgraded the whole concept as well as the customers trust in ASUSTek and their products.

Due to possible revision 2, I would recommend, not only a totally new microphone of better quality, but also that ASUSTek apply any kind of low friction rubber to the bottom of the headset stand to prevent it from slipping around. The same applies to the amplifier that tends to slide out of its position in the headset stands compartment. Maybe it would be good to make some sort of amplifier attachment to the headset stand. It would also be good to have a longer cable from the headset to the amplifier, recommended about 3 meters.

Thank You!

TWP-WOLF
06-21-2017, 12:08 PM
I bought it here: https://www.proshop.de/KopfhoererHeadsets/ASUS-ROG-Centurion/2577017

I recommend you to buy your computer stuff at Case King since they have a huge assortment and they are very helpful in their support. :D

https://www.caseking.de/

Hatzi999
06-22-2017, 07:08 AM
@TWP-WOLF
Yea I know that Caseking is a good shop :) but the shop I bought my centurion listed it much earlier than all other shops. (And a bit cheaper) *
I had to buy a headset very fast, because my old one died and I had nothing *

Bahz
06-22-2017, 07:30 AM
I must nevertheless admit that the ASUS ROG Centurion Headset is a very nice product since everything except the microphone is very good of high quality. But unfortunately the microphone downgraded the whole concept as well as the customers trust in ASUSTek and their products.

Due to possible revision 2, I would recommend, not only a totally new microphone of better quality, but also that ASUSTek apply any kind of low friction rubber to the bottom of the headset stand to prevent it from slipping around. The same applies to the amplifier that tends to slide out of its position in the headset stands compartment. Maybe it would be good to make some sort of amplifier attachment to the headset stand. It would also be good to have a longer cable from the headset to the amplifier, recommended about 3 meters.

Thank You!

Thanks for your feedback, I have already passed it along to our audio team.

TWP-WOLF
06-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Dear Bahz.

Thank you for your help and commitment.

I hope you send all what's have been said in here concerning ASUS ROG Centurion and it's devastating microphone.

It's sad that ASUTek are using their customers as some sort of test panel, as I understand we who in good faith bought that inadequate product of ASUS ROG Centurion will never be compensated by ASUSTek in any form, either of new product or refund.

shargoth
06-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Hello, the microphone is still as bad, and I tested several USB 3.0, 2.0 port, and I still have these small noises in the right ear, sometimes left since I changed USB port ...

I have a PC with all ROG parts, there would be time to react to plz soon

shargoth
06-22-2017, 06:08 PM
Good localized noise problem, which reverberates in the microphone and the led, it's all just the HDMI cable near the left ear that disconnects, when you move it .... it's serious ??? For a cable of this size and woven ... it looks good from outside view but it is big ****, seriously I give up any Asus device, except the screen and chipsets, but everything The rest is **** especially that there is no support, it is scam! Really on top of Asus, counted on me to put the lowest note where I bought it ... and in any way like the support Asus get crazy ..., ah yes I forgot it is true There is no support for asus ... (router, mouse, keyboard, headset ....), stop to launch yourself in a domain that you have not mastered

Bahz
06-23-2017, 07:44 AM
I totally understand everyone's frustration, I have already followed up on this a few times. Our audio team is working on this issue and will update me soon. I will share any updates in this thread when it becomes available.

TWP-WOLF
06-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Dear Bahz.

Thank you so much for you commitment and help in this problematic situation involving numerous customers where discontent and disappointment grows like a panda epidemic.

I even sent a mail to www.dustinhome.se where I buy 97% of my hardware and accessories (not the headset though) and told them about the ASUS ROG Centurion microphone issues.

I do hope that this ASUS ROG Centurion microphone issues will come to a solution of every customers satisfaction and that the reputation of ASUSTek & ASUS ROG products will be re-established.

Thank You!

poo417
06-26-2017, 12:58 PM
There is no way this update was tested in house and passed as a successful fix for the problem. It does nothing at all. This can only be lip service. I am using a 10 year old USB mic sitting 18" from my mouth which according to mates on TS/ Mumble sounds 100 times better. How sad.

When I got my first set before sending it back one of mates got one as well from another online retailer. He was told that most of the sets that go out come back for refund or replacement. He is on number 3 now. It works properly apart from the mic clearly, which is isn't.

This appears to be how ROG is rolling. So different to when you were actually trying to get to the top of the pile. Now your there you dont care about the people actually paying money for the cheap untested crap you are pumping out. A word to wise the asus/rog the people that put you there can very quickly you drop you back the bottom. We are on forums all over the world telling people of our experiences using your tech. How long do you think it is going to take for that **** to start sticking.

There was a review on hardocp recently with one of the new rog amd boards that basically most of it seems to be unstable/ not working. I will make this my last ROG purchase for a while until I see a change in the attitude/ direction of asus/rog which is a shame as i build many systems around your stuff over the years. I like the look of your new USB mic but will use another brand.

Bahz
06-26-2017, 11:42 PM
I appreciate all the feedback, it seems internally their testing results differ significantly from what's reported here. They will provide me with a new sample direct from the factory and once I'm back in the office on 7/10, I will test to verify and also see if the software and fine tuning the settings in the software has any way to improve the current problem. Our audio team is well aware of the all the feedback on this forum as they've read through each and they will work towards offering new solutions until the issue can be fixed.

TWP-WOLF
06-27-2017, 01:54 AM
Dear Bahz!

Once again thank you so much for your emphatic dedication and help to salve the issues for us ASUS customers.

I understand that there are some heavy work in progress back stage by the ASUS Team so please forward my thankfulness and wish them the best of luck.

By the way, here is as follow my main gaming computer as I configuring and built WOLF's ASUS ROG 900D High Performance Gaming Computer & Accessories (https://imgur.com/a/WXPyl).

Thank You!

Bahz
06-27-2017, 02:42 AM
Dear Bahz!

Once again thank you so much for your emphatic dedication and help to salve the issues for us ASUS customers.

I understand that there are some heavy work in progress back stage by the ASUS Team so please forward my thankfulness and wish them the best of luck.

By the way, here is as follow my main gaming computer as I configuring and built WOLF's ASUS ROG 900D High Performance Gaming Computer & Accessories (https://imgur.com/a/WXPyl).

Thank You!

Thanks, we appreciate it. Also nice system, thanks for sharing :)

Gaz936
06-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Oh how I wish I had read this thread before I purchased my Centurion which I only got yesterday.

Friends on Teamspeak said I sounded like I was at the bottom of the Atlantic with a bucket on my head surrounded by bubble wrap!

Advertised as...

ROG Centurion comes with a unidirectional digital microphone, which uses an optimized sound-processing algorithm to deliver a level of pure voice quality that traditional analog microphones cannot achieve. Boasting an impressive signal-to-noise ratio, extended wideband frequency response and high sensitivity rating, the digital microphone delivers crystal-clear voice reproduction, balanced and natural-sounding vocal tones, and minimal background noise pickup.

Anyone else spot what's wrong with the above? It's called "LYING" to your customers and needs to be changed, as pointed out before in this thread.

£225 for a great sounding headset completely and totally ruined by a microphone of such substandard quality that I have no choice but to return it.

I feel very angry and let down, especially when I have a ASUS Maximus IX mobo and PG348G monitor. I expect ASUS to be far better than this, you can't tell me that this product wasn't tested before it was released, surely?

What a complete let down...

BoutTime01
06-27-2017, 12:23 PM
For some perspective I'd be interested to hear from any forum members that own a Centurion and have no issues with the Mic. Are there any? Or is every single one faulty? I still can't understand how this issue was not picked up in any of the internet reviews.

TWP-WOLF
06-27-2017, 05:46 PM
For some perspective I'd be interested to hear from any forum members that own a Centurion and have no issues with the Mic. Are there any? Or is every single one faulty? I still can't understand how this issue was not picked up in any of the internet reviews.

I have read a number of reviews and the majority of them point to the lack of sound quality in the microphone.

BoutTime01
06-27-2017, 06:18 PM
I have read a number of reviews and the majority of them point to the lack of sound quality in the microphone.
I'll take your word for it. I've been following this headset ever since it was announced and all the reviews I read made no mention of issues with the mic. The cable was maybe too thick and too short. The price was a little high but forgiveable considering its effectively a soundcard as well as a headset. Those were the only criticisms I'd read in countless reviews and I was seriously considering pulling the trigger and buying one. But this forum has put a stop to that as all I have read are posts from people complaining about the mic.
That's why I wanted to know if there were any people out there who have no issues. As forums generally attract people with problems with the things they buy. People don't generally take their time to post if something simply works as it should.

Gaz936
06-27-2017, 09:54 PM
Packed up my headset to be returned this evening. The sound quality is SO GOOD it saddens me to have to do so because of the mic.*

One thing l did notice is that at the end of the mic boom, there are three indentations but only one is an actual hole. *The other two are covered so no sound can actually pass through them.*

Could this be the cause of why the mic is so substandard?*

Bahz
06-28-2017, 04:05 AM

Could you please share some links to reviews you seen from media that mentioned this issue? I will pass this along to our audio team because it appears all the ones I've seen didn't mention about this. Thank you.

Meklon
06-28-2017, 11:59 AM
I really do hope that there is a fix for this as I am LOVING the sound quality from the headset, but the mic..... my gods, the mic. I've been told I sound like a 60's synth remixed robot voice, which would be quite cool if that was the sound I was aiming for.

For a £200+ headset I am highly disappointed by the mic (Even more annoyed that my missus put my stand on the windowsill and it blew out onto the concrete below and shattered). Please please please let it be something that can be fixed via software as I CAN'T send this damn thing back and I really don't want to invest in a new mic when I SHOULD have a perfectly good one next to my face!

TWP-WOLF
06-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Could you please share some links to reviews you seen from media that mentioned this issue? I will pass this along to our audio team because it appears all the ones I've seen didn't mention about this. Thank you.

Considering all I read about ROG Centurion I have to admit that I presumably confused actual technical reviews with customer reviews.
So I'm very sorry for misled you in any way by undermine my credibility. Unfortunately, age has a certain impact since I'm 63 years old.

Here below you got some links for a few actual reviews.

But after heard when they in the review talk in the ROG Centurion microphone in YouTube , It really sound Muffled.

ASUS ROG Centurion Reviews (Microphone).

YouTube - GuyverGamingTV - Time: 4:50. Con: Muffled sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdIoknlhyHA

YouTube - We Do Tech - 9:55. Con: Muffled sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk7jMExPAsw

bit-tech - Con: microphone weakest point, muddy or distant.
http://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/peripherals/asus-rog-centurion-7-1-headset-review/2/

Gadget Pilipinas - Con: microphone biggest drawback of the Centurion.
https://www.gadgetpilipinas.net/2017/02/asus-rog-centurion-headphone-review/

This does not make my headset better in any way, so I still stand up for my words of it's lack of microphone sound quality.

Still, I'm so sorry for misled you.

StuGatz83
06-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Can we just have confirmation if this is a software of hardware issue?

Guyvergamingtv
06-29-2017, 10:28 AM
they are still looking into the problem. i dont think they know exactly what it causing it yet, i hope we hear something soon.

TWP-WOLF
06-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Well it's very strange that they did controlled the product thoroughly before it were marketed.

I feel so deceived and disappointed considering that I sacrificed a lot of money of my sick-pension to purchase ASUS ROG Centurion as I believed in. Which turned out to not be that quality product as claimed in the misleading information regarding the microphone on the web page for the ASUS ROG Centurion.

So I'm in the process to buy the high quality Blue Yeti Blackout Edition Microphone (http://www.bluemic.com/products/yeti/) and by that I do not need to bother if the ASUS ROG Centurion microphone works or not.

The question remain, can i trust ASUSTek / ASUS ROG and continue to buy their products without the risk of being misled by fabricated marketing? :confused:

Gaz936
06-29-2017, 05:32 PM
I did ask this question in a previous post, but l'll ask again. Could the reason for the sub-standard sounding microphone be because only one hole out of the three in the mic boom is open? Is everyone else's the same?

65670*

BoutTime01
06-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Does seem strange to have only actual one hole out of the three.

BoutTime01
06-29-2017, 08:23 PM
Just did a quick Google and found a photo showing the mic with only one actual hole.

Bahz
06-30-2017, 01:33 AM
Considering all I read about ROG Centurion I have to admit that I presumably confused actual technical reviews with customer reviews.
So I'm very sorry for misled you in any way by undermine my credibility. Unfortunately, age has a certain impact since I'm 63 years old.

Here below you got some links for a few actual reviews.

But after heard when they in the review talk in the ROG Centurion microphone in YouTube , It really sound Muffled.

ASUS ROG Centurion Reviews (Microphone).

YouTube - GuyverGamingTV - Time: 4:50. Con: Muffled sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdIoknlhyHA

YouTube - We Do Tech - 9:55. Con: Muffled sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk7jMExPAsw

bit-tech - Con: microphone weakest point, muddy or distant.
http://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/peripherals/asus-rog-centurion-7-1-headset-review/2/

Gadget Pilipinas - Con: microphone biggest drawback of the Centurion.
https://www.gadgetpilipinas.net/2017/02/asus-rog-centurion-headphone-review/

This does not make my headset better in any way, so I still stand up for my words of it's lack of microphone sound quality.

Still, I'm so sorry for misled you.

Thanks for providing this, the main review websites that reviewed the headset didn't pick up on this issue. I'll pass this information over to our audio team to look into this.

TWP-WOLF
06-30-2017, 02:34 AM
Thank you Bahz for that.

I don't know if there are to be only one hole in the microphone since it's exactly the same as in Gaz936 picture at my ROG Centurion microphone.

But if that's not the case, I think that Gaz936 (Yesterday 07:32 PM - #135) are on something ASUSTek should conciser to look in to by checking up the casting mold for that particular casting process. It may have been some flaws involved do to human error.

Gaz936
06-30-2017, 05:34 AM
Thanks for providing this, the main review websites that reviewed the headset didn't pick up on this issue. I'll pass this information over to our audio team to look into this.

That's because they didn't actually review the headset themselves!

Having read many of the review websites, one thing is clear to me, only a couple of them stand out of actually reviewing the headset having used it which are these ones...
https://pokde.net/tech/asus-rog-centurion-7-1-headset-review-seventh-sense-activated/

And...

Most, if not all of them seemed have have seen the headset on a stand at one of the various trade shows and then used words directly off the ASUS ROG website as they use the term "crystal clear communications" again and again. If they had tested the headset, they would not be saying this.*

The reviews on YouTube seems to be the best especially with the microphone sound test. This is excactly what mine is like and l would be happy to provide a WAV file so you can hear it?*

antomime
06-30-2017, 06:19 AM
I did ask this question in a previous post, but l'll ask again. Could the reason for the sub-standard sounding microphone be because only one hole out of the three in the mic boom is open? Is everyone else's the same?

65670*

I'm certain its to do with this, because as stated the Strix 7.1 headset's mic is top notch!
see below for difference, its open mesh.

Edit: OK SO:
Top centurion werid as mic
Bottom Strix 7.1 perfect working & normal looking mic
Centurion has 3 wires, Strix has 2, so couldnt frankenstein them as planned, Also the mesh part of the strix doesnt fit on the Centurion so thats out, Will try the 3 holes idea instead if i get time.....
This is about where the PCB sits inside:

Latest Edit:
Very hard to see it but i drilled out those 3 holes, Local recording sounds ok.... Will cheak later with TS3 guys who complain about muffleness & then update.

TWP-WOLF
06-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Dear Bahz.

Another thing that's really confuse me, as I mention before, is that the ASUS ROG Centurion Sonic Studio & Radar Pro come in conflict with the game Battlefield Bad Company 2 (Heavy Metal map) online as I still play and have done for some 2700 hours since it came out. I tried other servers in the same game but it turn out to come to the same result.

The consequence of this conflict shows up as soon as I'm about to enter a online BFBC2 server, then the whole game freezes in such grade that I cant do anything with the computer except press the reset button to reboot.

I try out Battlefield 1 (trail version) and there everything works fine. But on the other hand it was in the campaign, not online.

Please Bahz, can you mention that as well to the team back stage?

Thank You!

Bahz
06-30-2017, 07:33 AM
Dear Bahz.

Another thing that's really confuse me, as I mention before, is that the ASUS ROG Centurion Sonic Studio & Radar Pro come in conflict with the game Battlefield Bad Company 2 (Heavy Metal map) online as I still play and have done for some 2700 hours since it came out. I tried other servers in the same game but it turn out to come to the same result.

The consequence of this conflict shows up as soon as I'm about to enter a online BFBC2 server, then the whole game freezes in such grade that I cant do anything with the computer except press the reset button to reboot.

I try out Battlefield 1 (trail version) and there everything works fine. But on the other hand it was in the campaign, not online.

Please Bahz, can you mention that as well to the team back stage?

Thank You!

Have you tested in other games where this issue occurs? If it's just happening in that game, it means it's a conflict with that specific game title, which means we can't fix it on our end. Thanks.

Gaz936
06-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Bahz…

First of all I do realise that you are not personally responsible for this product and its substandard microphone and I do thank you for your continued support in trying to resolve this matter.

However, just to give you some background, I spent 22 years in the military flying helicopters and since then I have spent 9 years in defence sales and marketing. What I am trying to say is this, I do not react well when I think I am being bull****ted and or also ignored.

I appreciate that you have to be careful in what you say so that you/ASUS cannot be held responsible or liable, but being in sales and marketing myself I know when I am being fed a line. So far you have made no comment on the photos that have been posted and or if your technical team even know about what has been pointed out in the photos.

Those who have posted here and those who are just watching want some kind of official response, these issues were first posted on the 20th February, some 5 MONTHS ago. And all that has been done about it is a FW update that has not resolved the issue. It beggars belief that no suitable solution has been found in that time. Why not???

My headset is due to be RMA’d tomorrow morning. I love the sound, the external AMP, and the software package, but the microphone... Tell me, what would you do?

ASUS (not you personally) have a number of options here: -

1) Product recall to sort out the issues, expensive I know, but essential to save ASUS reputation.

2) Ignore all these posts, do nothing and take the hit in sales for this product.

Believe me when I say this will get out on ASUS Facebook page and ASUS Twitter pages, the damage to ASUS reputation will be big and sales not only with the Centurion headset, but other products will fall drastically because of a result of this damaged reputation.

This WILL NOT go away until something is sorted, paying £220 ($270) for a headset with a defective microphone simply does not add up. And taking 5 months with no solution is just quite frankly embarrassing to ASUS reputation. You tell me how many potential customers will be put off buying ASUS products because of situations like this?

I look forward to your response with interest.

Kind regards…

StuGatz83
06-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Well I know that if I dont see a solution in the next week, Im lodging a complaint with consumer protection in Australia.

Gaz936
06-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Will cheak later with TS3 guys who complain about muffleness & then update.

I will be very interested to know of the feedback from your TS3 colleagues. I use TS a lot myself, and this is where it was highlighted to me how bad the mic sounded.

CaptainDeathCap
06-30-2017, 02:45 PM
Latest Edit:
Very hard to see it but i drilled out those 3 holes, Local recording sounds ok.... Will cheak later with TS3 guys who complain about muffleness & then update.

If this did the trick for you, please let me know how you pried the microphone open so I can apply this solution to my centurion as well. Did it need to be glued back together?

TWP-WOLF
07-01-2017, 12:19 AM
Have you tested in other games where this issue occurs? If it's just happening in that game, it means it's a conflict with that specific game title, which means we can't fix it on our end. Thanks.

Dear Bahz.

I have not tried out any other game yet, but give me some time to install some games and I will check that up.

You see, I don't have anything unnecessary installed that I do not use frequently or at least from time to time.

My philosophy is that as cleaner and well configured operative disc you have, as less problem in form of conflicts are avoided.

I also delete my Samsung 850 Pro SSD operative Disc with Windows 10 Pro , games and all other installations at least once a year to make a new partition and install and configure everything in a specific order from scratch again.

Thank You!

HarathAU
07-01-2017, 12:33 AM
Bahz…

First of all I do realise that you are not personally responsible for this product and its substandard microphone and I do thank you for your continued support in trying to resolve this matter.

However, just to give you some background, I spent 22 years in the military flying helicopters and since then I have spent 9 years in defence sales and marketing. What I am trying to say is this, I do not react well when I think I am being bull****ted and or also ignored.

I appreciate that you have to be careful in what you say so that you/ASUS cannot be held responsible or liable, but being in sales and marketing myself I know when I am being fed a line. So far you have made no comment on the photos that have been posted and or if your technical team even know about what has been pointed out in the photos.

Those who have posted here and those who are just watching want some kind of official response, these issues were first posted on the 20th February, some 5 MONTHS ago. And all that has been done about it is a FW update that has not resolved the issue. It beggars belief that no suitable solution has been found in that time. Why not???

My headset is due to be RMA’d tomorrow morning. I love the sound, the external AMP, and the software package, but the microphone... Tell me, what would you do?

ASUS (not you personally) have a number of options here: -

1) Product recall to sort out the issues, expensive I know, but essential to save ASUS reputation.

2) Ignore all these posts, do nothing and take the hit in sales for this product.

Believe me when I say this will get out on ASUS Facebook page and ASUS Twitter pages, the damage to ASUS reputation will be big and sales not only with the Centurion headset, but other products will fall drastically because of a result of this damaged reputation.

This WILL NOT go away until something is sorted, paying £220 ($270) for a headset with a defective microphone simply does not add up. And taking 5 months with no solution is just quite frankly embarrassing to ASUS reputation. You tell me how many potential customers will be put off buying ASUS products because of situations like this?

I look forward to your response with interest.

Kind regards…

This is the problem buddy, Asus aren't willing to offer solutions and i'm starting to see it more and more.

As i posted in an earlier thread, i'm from australia i have a gaming buddy that i game a lot with who is posted in okinawa at the moment with the Marines.
He was back home in the states and at the same time as i bought my PG348Q monitor, he also purchased one from a computer store in texas.
he never opened the box because he was shipping it back to okinawa with him when he returned back after the funeral, when he got back he obviously went to put the monitor together and there was no stand, luckily he had a multi monitor stand and was able to affix it to that, but i mean why wouldn't you want the stand it has the neat RoG logo that glows etc... he made several calls and had several conversations with several different departments and managers in Asus and they flat out refused to replace the stand and kept telling him to take it back to where he bought it. (obviously he couldn't he was half way across the world). (this is just one example i have a few more, but i'm not gonna ramble on about them.. this is probably one of the worst instances though considering it's like a $1200US monitor)

3/4 of my PC is RoG gear and it comes at a price, it's more expensive than most of the competition for something that basically performs the same, it just has republic of gamers attached to it, but it's becoming more and more unappealing and there is plenty of other brands who are happy for our business without being so stone cold in regards to defective / incomplete products.

Mentality at Asus needs to change and fast, we are your bread and butter and we can just as easily become someone elses...

I think everyone is aware this is not going to be fixed with any firmware updates, although my friends on Discord have said my Mic seems a little bit clearer since the firmware update, they arent really too sure still based on how bad it was previously. I mean if this genuinely isn't going to get fixed, the GTX 1080Ti OC i literally bought last week (even though i bought a GTX 1080 like 5 months ago) will be the last RoG product i buy for a while.

antomime
07-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Ok, so confirmed, this is most likely the issue, or the largest part: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91115-Rog-Centurion-Headset-mic-is-shocking&p=658773&viewfull=1#post658773

What i did: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91115-Rog-Centurion-Headset-mic-is-shocking&p=658894&viewfull=1#post658894

Asked the #1 complainer about how the mic sounded:

If this did the trick for you, please let me know how you pried the microphone open so I can apply this solution to my centurion as well. Did it need to be glued back together?
No glue needed, Just a pocket knife. clips back togeather.
Just need to drill out centre hole, by the looks of it.
Put the side with the Mic holes back on first, push the mic into it, then put the other piece on, clips togeather, isnt loose.
the "nipples" you see on the end are from the stalk of the mic, they are pushed into the stalk of the mic, they just slide in & out (straight out literally) if you bend/break them, it wont go back togeather by the looks of it.
p.s. im not good at explaining things, so i hope you understand what i mean....

HarathAU
07-01-2017, 01:44 PM
Ok, so confirmed, this is most likely the issue, or the largest part: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91115-Rog-Centurion-Headset-mic-is-shocking&p=658773&viewfull=1#post658773

What i did: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91115-Rog-Centurion-Headset-mic-is-shocking&p=658894&viewfull=1#post658894

Asked the #1 complainer about how the mic sounded:

No glue needed, Just a pocket knife. clips back togeather.
Just need to drill out centre hole, by the looks of it.
Put the side with the Mic holes back on first, push the mic into it, then put the other piece on, clips togeather, isnt loose.
the "nipples" you see on the end are from the stalk of the mic, they are pushed into the stalk of the mic, they just slide in & out (straight out literally) if you bend/break them, it wont go back togeather by the looks of it.
p.s. im not good at explaining things, so i hope you understand what i mean....

I just did mine, just gotta wait for one of my friends to be around to see if it did the fix, i think i fiddled a little too much because the top of mine doesn't seem to seal shut 100% it's like 99% but still stays together no drama...

i feel like if this is the actual fix, Asus should at least send us out a new clip for our mic with the holes already drilled out, so we can have a non marked up end of the headset from where we had to pry it open

Gaz936
07-01-2017, 03:34 PM
This is the problem buddy, Asus aren't willing to offer solutions and i'm starting to see it more and more.

As i posted in an earlier thread, i'm from australia i have a gaming buddy that i game a lot with who is posted in okinawa at the moment with the Marines.
He was back home in the states and at the same time as i bought my PG348Q monitor, he also purchased one from a computer store in texas.
he never opened the box because he was shipping it back to okinawa with him when he returned back after the funeral, when he got back he obviously went to put the monitor together and there was no stand, luckily he had a multi monitor stand and was able to affix it to that, but i mean why wouldn't you want the stand it has the neat RoG logo that glows etc... he made several calls and had several conversations with several different departments and managers in Asus and they flat out refused to replace the stand and kept telling him to take it back to where he bought it. (obviously he couldn't he was half way across the world). (this is just one example i have a few more, but i'm not gonna ramble on about them.. this is probably one of the worst instances though considering it's like a $1200US monitor)

3/4 of my PC is RoG gear and it comes at a price, it's more expensive than most of the competition for something that basically performs the same, it just has republic of gamers attached to it, but it's becoming more and more unappealing and there is plenty of other brands who are happy for our business without being so stone cold in regards to defective / incomplete products.

Mentality at Asus needs to change and fast, we are your bread and butter and we can just as easily become someone elses...

I think everyone is aware this is not going to be fixed with any firmware updates, although my friends on Discord have said my Mic seems a little bit clearer since the firmware update, they arent really too sure still based on how bad it was previously. I mean if this genuinely isn't going to get fixed, the GTX 1080Ti OC i literally bought last week (even though i bought a GTX 1080 like 5 months ago) will be the last RoG product i buy for a while.

Hi Harath...

Thanks for you response. I fear that you are correct in that ASUS simply do not care about their customers or customer relations. I have heard this before but kept faith in them which I will not be doing in the future. What they don't seem to realise is that reputations are very easily lost, but much harder to gain, and doubly hard to gain once lost due to issues such as this. People talk, especially gamers and it soon gets around when a manufacturer does not care or has products that are not up to standard. This thread alone has had over 14,000 views now, OK, so half of those will be repeat visitors, but since I posted this all over the 6 different ASUS Twitter accounts and all their Facebook accounts, it has shot up!

I just cannot believe how your friend was treated in regards to his monitor stand. I've exactly the same monitor, love it, but as you said at the bottom of your post, this will be last ROG product that I buy for some considerable time. ROG kit does come at a price and it is not living up to that price, simple as that. You hit the nail on the head when you say "Mentally ASUS need to change, and fast". I did look up Jerry Shen, the CEO at ASUS to post on his Twitter account, but wisely he doesn't seem to have one! That would be one way to get their attention!

Yup, I agree, it is not going to fixed via a FW update, the post detailing the holes and drilling them out seems to the likely way ahead although we as customers shouldn't have to do this. Why didn't they make this headset with the removalable boom mic I don't know!

Gaz936
07-01-2017, 03:38 PM
What i did: No glue needed, Just a pocket knife. clips back together.
Just need to drill out center hole, by the looks of it.
Put the side with the Mic holes back on first, push the mic into it, then put the other piece on, clips together, isn't loose.

The "nipples" you see on the end are from the stalk of the mic, they are pushed into the stalk of the mic, they just slide in & out (straight out literally) if you bend/break them, it wont go back together by the looks of it.

Awesome, thanks for posting all this. It will be interesting to 'hear' the results!

Hatzi999
07-02-2017, 12:00 PM
So i also opened this holes. My friends on Discord say that i sound very good now... My microphone is looking a "bit" damaged now, but working :)

StuGatz83
07-02-2017, 12:09 PM
Could the anyone who has had success with opening the holes also provide details on their setting in the rog app and also windows mic settings please if it sounds better?

antomime
07-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Thanks Bahz for trying, but its confirmed multipul times now my mic now sounds good.

https://s26.postimg.org/spwp6d4ex/image.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/ei2f3z2c9/image.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/x0bd1y9i1/image.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/etjvgqis9/dfhg.jpg

TWP-WOLF
07-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Dear Bahz!

After been reading the posts and quotes on this side I got a strange feeling of all your answers about "the sound team are working on it" is just a hoax to make us believe that ASUSTek / ASUS ROG really care of their customers.

I have to admit that in my younger times I was not that good person I wished to be, but contrary to you, I have come to Insight of myself and done something constructively of it, and by that become a honest and caring person.

Well, with that said, my time as an ASUSTek / ASUS ROG customer has come to an end since you ASUSTek have incontrovertible not come to any insight to your behavior towards your customers.

"Leadership is a privilege to better the lives of others. It is not an opportunity to satisfy personal greed." - Mwai Kibaki.

Thank You!

Ljugtomten
07-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Howdy
I have also opened up the middle hole in the microphone, and did a recording before and after.

ASUS ROG Settings:

Settings in Windows for recording device:

Recording prior to opening hole in mic, first with ENC enabled and then with ENC disabled:
https://www.ljugtomten.com/1-ancOnOff.wav

Recording made after opening hole in mic, first with ENC enabled and then with ENC disabled:
https://www.ljugtomten.com/2-ancOnOff.wav

It seems to make a bit of a difference, listen to the audio clips above and judge for yourself. (Sorry for Swedish but you should be able to tell where ENC is enabled/disabled).

The room where the recording was made in is very quiet.

Edit: Spelling is stronk!

Novacaine
07-02-2017, 05:28 PM
I also got the headset today, microphone is just garbage and I can't actually believe how bad it is. Very disappointed considering how much this headset costs!

Novacaine
07-02-2017, 05:50 PM
What can ASUS actually do about this? Definitely seems like a hardware issue. Judging from when this thread was started (and that there is still no solution that doesn't include a DIY mod) it looks like they aren't even bothered.

Novacaine
07-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Here's a tip guys (as I haven't seen it posted yet). It seems like the default Windows mic volume applied to this headset is 100%, I dropped it down to 60% and tested upwards to 75% and found it sounded so much better. To do this, right click your speaker icon in the icon tray (bottom right of screen) and then press Recording Devices, double click the microphone and go to Levels and then adjust the volume to the best setting (for me it's 70%). The following screenshots include my ROG UI settings, my friends on Discord have said it sounds much better now (and this is without doing the drill mod).

ROG settings: http://prntscr.com/fqst69
Microphone level settings: http://prntscr.com/fqstdw
Extended: http://prntscr.com/fqstlv

Ljugtomten
07-02-2017, 07:56 PM
Here's a tip guys (as I haven't seen it posted yet). It seems like the default Windows mic volume applied to this headset is 100%, I dropped it down to 60% and tested upwards to 75% and found it sounded so much better. To do this, right click your speaker icon in the icon tray (bottom right of screen) and then press Recording Devices, double click the microphone and go to Levels and then adjust the volume to the best setting (for me it's 70%). The following screenshots include my ROG UI settings, my friends on Discord have said it sounds much better now (and this is without doing the drill mod).

ROG settings: http://prntscr.com/fqst69
Microphone level settings: http://prntscr.com/fqstdw
Extended: http://prntscr.com/fqstlv

Lowering the mic in ROG software instead has the same effect as loweing it in Windows.
I noticed you had it set to high in ROG, you can compare to my settings that I posted earlier.

Bahz
07-03-2017, 04:02 AM
Thanks for all that further tried testing other methods like opening additional holes on the microphone plastic cover. I'll confirm this information with our audio team and have them verify this through internal testing.

Gaz936
07-03-2017, 06:16 AM
Thanks for all that further tried testing other methods like opening additional holes on the microphone plastic cover. I'll confirm this information with our audio team and have them verify this through internal testing.

Shocking...

After 5 MONTHS this is being pointed out to your audio team? REALLY???

I noticed the covered up holes within 5 MINUTES of looking at the headphones and hence me posting the pictures of it. That's some audio team you have at ASUS then. Expert engineers are they?

We, your customers shouldn't have to point something like this out and we certainly shouldn't have to make our own modifications to get YOUR PREMIUM PRICED EQUIPMENT to work properly.

Disgusting...

Bahz
07-03-2017, 07:34 AM
Shocking...

I noticed the covered up holes within 5 MINUTES of looking at the headphones and hence me posting the pictures of it. That's some audio team you have at ASUS then. Expert engineers are they?

We, your customers shouldn't have to point something like this out and we certainly shouldn't have to make our own modifications to get YOUR PREMIUM PRICED EQUIPMENT to work properly.

Disgusting...

As mentioned, the results internally were not anywhere near what was reported by users in this thread and both product managers and engineers confirmed they were getting much different results. Media tested it for weeks and none of the big media reflected this issue to us, that's strange right? It could be that there might be a high defective rate on the microphones because this can't be 100% of all users that bought this product that are in this thread. The same rule is true that only users with issues report on the forum, so I'm not going to remove the possibility that there are people that purchased this unit that doesn't have this issue.

Eleiyas
07-03-2017, 07:41 AM
Shocking...

Disgusting...

There has been a lot of back and forth between the users here, Bahz and the responsible guys over at headquarters, it isn't something that started 5 minutes ago.

1 - Users have complained about the microphone being of bad quality -> Bahz informs the audio team

2 - audio team suggests some fixes -> Bahz informs the users

Then alternate between 1 and 2.

Please also remember that not every single owner of this headset is complaining about their microphone being bad.

Also, you are correct, users shouldn't have to hand fix their equipment - hence why Bahz and the guys over at HQ are working with you guys so they can finally fix this issue and get you the quality products you deserve.

Gaz936
07-03-2017, 08:53 AM
There has been a lot of back and forth between the users here, Bahz and the responsible guys over at headquarters, it isn't something that started 5 minutes ago.

1 - Users have complained about the microphone being of bad quality -> Bahz informs the audio team

2 - audio team suggests some fixes -> Bahz informs the users

Then alternate between 1 and 2.

Please also remember that not every single owner of this headset is complaining about their microphone being bad.

Also, you are correct, users shouldn't have to hand fix their equipment - hence why Bahz and the guys over at HQ are working with you guys so they can finally fix this issue and get you the quality products you deserve.

Good day Eleiyas...

Thank you for your response and your explanation.

Although you state that this wasn't started 5 minutes ago, how come users have found a solution within a few days of me posting pictures where as there has been nothing but a FW update in 5 months? Surely the alternate between 1 & 2 as you put it shouldn't take that long?

In fact, from myself posting the pictures last week, the only response from Bahz was to a specific issue within someones game, no response at all about the pictures until other users posted their results and modifications, only then was there any recognition that this could be the solution to the issue.

Your own engineers should have spotted this before the product was released and most certainly since the issues were first raised and I cannot believe that some headsets are affected whereas others are not. This issue has to be across all products, to me it just means that not everyone has found their way here or if they have, they have not posted. Or maybe I'm wrong and if so, I humbly apologise. But that is the other issue here, no one from ASUS has apologised or taken responsibility in anyway, shape or form!

So the big question is now, what are you/ASUS going to do about it?

TanerTEACHER
07-03-2017, 11:02 AM
it seems all mic proble is same. one hole is open other holes is close. Audio team can try to open them one by one and test them.

Eleiyas
07-03-2017, 11:03 AM
- POST -

About apologizing - who should do that? The audio guys? The hardware team? Development team?
It's quite complicated to hand blame to any one member or part of the company.

Also, Bahz is correct with what he posted a couple of posts up: it is strange that none of the media outlets who reviewed this piece of equipment mentioned a faulty microphone.

My guess is that most of the products shipped do work, although there seems to have been a bad batch that was shipped.
This also leads onto 2 points:

- the company is not going to issue a full product recall or give a public apology if only, say, 2% of a total product's shipments were shipped faulty. That's just business.

- if the other 98% of the units work, then surely this whole business with opening more microphone holes is only a ''bodged'' fix or workaround... which may explain why it isn't being looked at as much as you'd personally like it to.

BoutTime01
07-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Therefore can Asus confirm officially whether these holes should be open or closed by design?

Ljugtomten
07-03-2017, 02:37 PM
About apologizing - who should do that? The audio guys? The hardware team? Development team?

Also, Bahz is correct with what he posted a couple of posts up: it is strange that none of the media outlets who reviewed this piece of equipment mentioned a faulty microphone.

My guess is that most of the products shipped do work, although there seems to have been a bad batch that was shipped.

- the company is not going to issue a full product recall or give a public apology if only, say, 2% of a total product's shipments were shipped faulty. That's just business.

- if the other 98% of the units work, then surely this whole business with opening more microphone holes is only a ''bodged'' fix or workaround... which may explain why it isn't being looked at as much as you'd personally like it to.

Hello.
I'd say that this response is a big pile of manure.

If a bad batch is suspected, why have none of you from ASUS asked us about the serial numbers from our headsets to verify if this is a possible answer?

There are requests from 19 different IP's to listen to the audio files I posted, but no confirmation from ASUS if similar "quality" is achieved in their "lab" with the same settings?

About no reviews bashing the microphone? Well, noone really tried speaking to anyone using it. Most reviewers used the headset to listen, and performed a simple copy & paste regarding microphone:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/asus-rog-centurion-71-headset

Its mic performed admirably, too. With an unidirectional microphone at the end of its flexible arm, it’s able to discern between your voice input and any ambient noise that may otherwise annoy a fellow gamer on the other end, delivering crystal clear audio input.

Please tell me that isn't taken directly from the product description at the ASUS page..

Reviews from USERS at a nordic retailer: https://www.komplett.se/product/902915/gaming/ljud/headset/asus-rog-centurion-71-gaming-headset#reviews

Gaz936
07-03-2017, 03:05 PM

To add to Ljugtomten post above, I have searched all the images I could find online, including ASUS own images and they all show just one hole open on the mic boom. So how can they sound differently then?

In regards to apologising, I am not trying to blame one member of the company, as you said it, it’s a team cockup isn’t it! As such, the man ultimately responsible is your CEO Jerry Shen, but I would assume that he would not even know of this issue does he?

As Ljugtomten said, the reviews are mainly generic, one review even said that they could judge it against one of you competitors as their headset was on the next stand. Only one review stands out for me and I have posted on that before. So to me it isn’t strange at all, it is of your own making.

And what proof do you have of 98% of your units do not faults then? That’s an amazing claim indeed without any hard evidence and considering that just above it you say, and I quote, “My guess is…”. So what is it, best guess or 98%??? As Ljugtomten said, just “a big pile of manure”!

At the end of the day, it is ASUS reputation that will (and already has) suffered. It’s your call on what you do, but many of us will not want to pay premium pricing for ASUS products ever again if premium customer support is also not part of it. You dig your own grave in that regards…

Jcswe
07-04-2017, 06:29 AM
Does not feel right to drill holes for the microphone to work better. I'd rather wait for a solution.

But if it helps to get better sound, maybe Asus would send out new microphone covers to us with problems.

HarathAU
07-04-2017, 06:48 AM

I mean, what evidence or analytical data do you have to back up that 98% of units aren't faulty, There is a high chance of users not knowing any better, accepting it as it is or just returning the product.... I also know that getting one of the headsets in Australia at least is quite difficult with several retailers only releasing 3 units every 4 - 7 weeks and have back-orders and waiting lists to get them.

I'm by no means calling you a liar, but basing your sample size of people who have microphone troubles off this thread where a few people have spoken up and tried to fix it is by no means a good enough sample size to base anything off, for that matter... after the initial shock and a few adjustments of how terrible the quality was most of my friends got used to it and it was just how it was. I'm sure there are plenty of users who have just accepted it's how it is thinking thats how it's meant to be and not bothered.

Or have been lurking these forums reading through this thread waiting for fixes etc...

You could say you don't wanna do a product recall when it might only be a small number, but my mic is genuinely clearer and doesn't sound like i', in a fishbowl with a ski-mask over my face since i drilled that middle hole out, and rightfully so considering the majority of the mic is accessible through that middle hole and with how tight the mic is packed in there, i find it hard to believe much of anything gets through that first hole alone.

It could also be a codec issue, because if i listen to my headset in a local loop it sounds pretty normal, but as soon as i connect to any kind of communication device it sounds terrible (not so much since drilling out that middle hole), But that still leaves the problem of a scratched up mic cover. I think a good solution would be to send out Pre-Drilled mic covers that we can simply swap over with our current hand modified ones so it doesn't look like my son was chewing on my headset mic.

That being said i can understand how it's embarrassing to admit to a design fault much less when you have built a brand around "quality" gaming products at a premium price, admittance of fault can be very damaging to that brand, but nowhere near as damaging as doing nothing and letting word spread around... like i posted earlier i have several instances of terrible Asus after sales support when other brands go out of their way to do everything they can for their customers several brands come to mind... so i mean the ball is in your court, you can do nothing as you seem to be accustomed to doing for some reason like we don't matter at all... Or you can do what is right and actually find a solution for us.. one that could be as simple as a $2 plastic part to fix something we already paid a premium for on a Headset which while is one of the most comfy headsets i've ever worn, Kudos to that is also fairly terribly designed with the massive HDMI cable sticking out the bottom like it does to the flimsy stand and amp that doesn't really sit on the stand properly even more so with all the big cables pushing it around all over the place.

Eleiyas
07-04-2017, 09:11 AM
You didn't get my point, in the way I wanted it to get across.

To be honest, I don't work at headquarters, I don't know what's going on over there.
I don't personally know how many people have complained about this product and the issues you guys here on the forums are putting across. It could be millions, or it could be a few hundred.

My point was to say that I doubt 100% of all purchasers of this product have a faulty product - it's not fact - but I guess that there's only a minority percentage of all devices sold that are being sent back for RMA or warranty-returns.

That is why I bought up the 2% / 98% which you all seem to have taken as fact and attacked me with. It's just an example at this point.

It would be highly logical that if all 100% of units shipped of this device are being returned for RMA, that a total product recall would have been issued; because there has been no recall, I'm hypothesizing that not all units are faulty.

Because of this, that it why I guessed it was a faulty batch or something - but hey! some of you are likely right: some users don't know how the mic. should sound, so just deal with it. Some might not even use the mic. so again, the number of faulty devices is pure speculation at this point (which I think it will probably be for HQ as well).

So, because of this, no one likely knows the exact number of faulty units, so there's no way to fully debug the issue and fix it.

If 100% of all units with, for example, a hole in them, but no other units are sent back, then the issue is obvious and easy to fix. In this scenario though it isn't.

it doesn't help that everyone has a different hardware and software setup, all which could interfere with the debugging.

That is why I said a fix will take time and effort and patience from you guys.

ASUS does want to give you the quality product you paid for and they do care, hence why they are working on a fix for you guys.

I'm sorry that my post got across in the wrong way and probably aggravated you more. This one probably will as well.

:(

BoutTime01
07-04-2017, 09:20 AM
The question over whether the holes should be open or not can be put to bed quite easily. The design and production drawings can be checked for verification. If confirmed they should be open then the issue can be addressed with free of charge RMA and fixing any existing stock before shipping replacements. If the holes should in fact be closed then everyone can forget about them and Asus can look elsewhere for the root cause. In fact why not ask some of the forum members to send them back in for analysis? I was looking at buying one of these headsets and would probably not even used the mic. So there will be plenty of others in the same boat who bought the headset just for the 7.1 sound which by all accounts is Incredible.

Bahz
07-04-2017, 09:39 AM
I did receive update yesterday from our audio team that they have been already been testing the mic with additional holes opened up on the plastic housing, they apologized for not updating me on it. Honestly I don't get every update from them but they've always been working on this issue and I'm confident they will offer a solution for those who already purchased this headset and have this issue and also some kind of revision for future stock.

StuGatz83
07-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Lets give the team a little more time to work out a solution for this issue and us the customer for having to endure this problem for some time.

Ljugtomten
07-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Lets give the team a little more time to work out a solution for this issue and us the customer for having to endure this problem for some time.

The first post in this thread was made 2017-02-20, you don't think that is enough time to come up with a solution?

In my line of work, It would never have been acceptable with such long time before a resolution (or temporary workaround pending a permanent fix if the fix is dependent on a 3:rd party).

Gaz936
07-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Eleiyas and Bahz...

I've posted a number of times on this thread as you know and haven't held back on my thoughts. However, saying that, your last two posts have probably been the most honest and frank that we have seen.

I am angry at how this has all progressed as you may have guessed, this shouldn't have taken so far over 5 months to get to where it is. And it shouldn't have taken the likes of myself and others to point out the issues with the holes on the mic boom, this is something that should have been picked up either in the design process or by your QA department.

What users on here appreciate more than anything else is honesty, any form of posting that is perceived as bull**** you will get the likes of myself and others jumping down your throats, as proved by some of the posts above and in previous pages. The way ahead for you guys is to simply tell us the truth, yes, it hurts that you have not been kept in the loop by your engineering guys, so hound them until you get a response from them (be proactive instead of reactive is what I am saying).

At the end of the day, we all spend hard earned monies on these products and we all know that ROG products come a premium, so therefore we expect a premium service to back that up and this issue hasn't appeared to have had that despite what has been said. You own website says, "Crystal Clear Communications" which is far far from the truth. Add to that the other perceived poor reputation that ASUS is gaining and you can see that you are now up against it.

All we ask for is a swift resolution to this issue as soon as possible and for you guys to be honest with us, your paying customers...

Kind regards...

antomime
07-04-2017, 12:04 PM
The first post in this thread was made 2017-02-20, you don't think that is enough time to come up with a solution?

In my line of work, It would never have been acceptable with such long time before a resolution (or temporary workaround pending a permanent fix if the fix is dependent on a 3:rd party).

Although i cant agrue with this, I'd like to point out that in my line of work, If an issue cant be replicated, Finding & offering Solutions is limited at best.
Which is what we have seen here & been informed here.

Unlike Asus though, in this case, I had access to said issue & the ability to look outside the box for fixes as seen.

Novacaine
07-04-2017, 12:38 PM
As someone mentioned in an earlier post, the headset doesn't sound too bad in a local recording once the settings have been applied and an extra hole has been added. I have now drilled through both of the covered holes meaning I have 3 open holes on my mic boom (and a very battered microphone) and it sounds a lot better, but still required a lot of messing around with the settings to get it to sound good, and as soon as it's used in something such as Discord or TS3 then it doesn't sound very good. I think there's a few things contributing to the issue, firstly the hardware issue of only have 1 hole open out of the 3 that are there, and then possibly software issues.

TWP-WOLF
07-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Dear Bahz.

I do have to correct my self and admit that (by partly quoting Gaz936 #144) I do realize that you are not personally responsible for this product and its substandard microphone and I do thank you for your continued support in trying to resolve this matter. In contrast to my previous statement, I also thank the ASUSTek / ASUS ROG Audio Team.

In case you consider me having way high demands on you Bahz and ASUSTek / ASUS ROG, you should know how high the demands are at my self as a handyman in the way of constructing something for me, or even to someone else.

As evidence of that, take a look at the motorcycle I built in the beginning of the 80th. That built toke me a year and GOD knows how hard I struggle to perfect it in the way I wanted. So yes, I do demanded a lot of my self but as for now at the age of 63 things have calm down a bit, but I still have demands on products that cross my path of interests.

WOLF's Harley-Davidson Chopper 1530cc Built By WOLF (https://i.imgur.com/TOlEONg.jpg). (Unfortunately, it does not remain in my possession).

I do apologize for the overexposed image on the motorcycle.

By that I wish ASUSTek / ASUS ROG all the best in the effort to reach a solution to this enigmatic situation that affected us all in here.

Thank You!

Phyxius
07-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Thankfully my centurion broke down last week (as if the mic issue wasn't enough), the right side earcup started to fail, with a mere two months carefull use. Activated the RMA, Asus sent a new headset, which I got my store to let me trade in for full price as store credit, which I'm using to buy a Steelseries Siberia 840, which I'm picking up today.

Good luck to everyone still dealing with this god awful product. Anyways it was lesson learned for me, no more ROG products.

CaptainDeathCap
07-06-2017, 03:54 AM
Thankfully my centurion broke down last week (as if the mic issue wasn't enough), the right side earcup started to fail, with a mere two months carefull use. Activated the RMA, Asus sent a new headset, which I got my store to let me trade in for full price as store credit, which I'm using to buy a Steelseries Siberia 840, which I'm picking up today.

Good luck to everyone still dealing with this god awful product. Anyways it was lesson learned for me, no more ROG products.'

I'm still hoping mine will break down. The earcups are way underpadded and with extensive use, my ears end up REALLY hurting. The sound quality is still amazing, but is that even worth it when you end up feeling like you wanna tear your ear-shells off? On top of this horrible microphone quality :c

Jcswe
07-06-2017, 09:43 AM
What I would like is to get a new microphone and a pair of better ear cushions. :cool:

ahkin
07-06-2017, 09:47 AM
Hey, I don't seem to be able to post a new thread. Can anyone please, PM me and tell me what's the issue?

Gaz936
07-06-2017, 08:27 PM
Hey, I don't seem to be able to post a new thread. Can anyone please, PM me and tell me what's the issue?

Can l suggest you read this thread as the answer to your question is there on all the pages ;)

DDOLMO
07-08-2017, 07:25 AM
https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-headsets/stream-loud-and-clear-with-the-rog-strix-magnus-microphone/#

*They discarded this product.
I guess the audio team were very busy
working on developing a new microphone.*

I will report to the consumer advocacy groups in my country
about selling this rubbish product and doing nothing.

S_the_Great
07-08-2017, 08:54 PM
If it is a hardware problem (closed holes in the microphone cover) will there be any replacement/repair/recall of the headset? I mean I payed 250€ for it and I'm not gonna work those holes out since everything I touch gets wreked, tho you actually lose your warranty on it.

Greetings

abbeand
07-08-2017, 09:38 PM
I've used the headset for some days now and i got the same issue as everybody else. But when i first downloaded the new firmware i heard my own voice in the headset as i was talking. At that point the mic sounded good. I also recorded how the mic was sounding than to make sure i don't hear wrong, and it still was sounding good. But i didn't want to hear my voice all the time so i restarted my computer and the voice disappeared. But then the mic got bad again. After some hours i turned on the computer again and i heard my voice again and the mic was sounding good. And next time i started the computer right now it sounds bad again and i don't hear my voice. So i don't know what's happening really :/

BoutTime01
07-08-2017, 10:42 PM
I've used the headset for some days now and i got the same issue as everybody else. But when i first downloaded the new firmware i heard my own voice in the headset as i was talking. At that point the mic sounded good. I also recorded how the mic was sounding than to make sure i don't hear wrong, and it still was sounding good. But i didn't want to hear my voice all the time so i restarted my computer and the voice disappeared. But then the mic got bad again. After some hours i turned on the computer again and i heard my voice again and the mic was sounding good. And next time i started the computer right now it sounds bad again and i don't hear my voice. So i don't know what's happening really :/
Nor do Asus.

S_the_Great
07-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Nor do Asus.

Just mute/demute the microphone in the Speakers settings.

HarathAU
07-10-2017, 09:08 AM
So i just saw this on facbook, literally just came up in my news feed

i honestly don't know if you guys are honestly in the dark about the problem.. or trying to be deceptive, but it isnt the best look especially the line

"With its 12000Hz frequency response, 65dB signal-to-noise ratio, and -26dB sensitivity, it’s a clear winner for headset microphones."

https://www.facebook.com/asusaustralia/photos/a.197366076963568.51574.185208368179339/1606101589423336/?type=3

Jasonparras@gmail.com
07-10-2017, 11:56 AM
So i just saw this on facbook, literally just came up in my news feed

i honestly don't know if you guys are honestly in the dark about the problem.. or trying to be deceptive, but it isnt the best look especially the line

"With its 12000Hz frequency response, 65dB signal-to-noise ratio, and -26dB sensitivity, it’s a clear winner for headset microphones."

https://www.facebook.com/asusaustralia/photos/a.197366076963568.51574.185208368179339/1606101589423336/?type=3

Oh don't worry, they are fully aware of the product being, defective but you see there is no oversight for creating substandard electronics with blatant failures. A rich politician's son will never be killed in a faulty headphone incident and therefor your money will continue to disappear to sharkish companies mascaraing as a champion of the common people whilst they collect on your need to consume. They couldn't care less that an entire product line is a disaster in terms of how it affects you. All they care about is retaining profits and market reputation. Even in their moderator's attempts to quell our discontent they have said phrases like "mutually beneficial solution." Why should any solution to this problem they have created be beneficial to them? They already stole your capital and now they what to role out post-sale fixes to keep as much of it as possible. Don't ever forget that this "Republic of Gamers" is just a branding and advertising attempt to garner your affection and trust in the same desperate ways Wendy's tries to by getting into Twitter wars with other food suppliers. You are just demographic of consumer. They are still ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - All Rights Reserved.

BoutTime01
07-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Oh don't worry, they are fully aware of the product being, defective but you see there is no oversight for creating substandard electronics with blatant failures. A rich politician's son will never be killed in a faulty headphone incident and therefor your money will continue to disappear to sharkish companies mascaraing as a champion of the common people whilst they collect on your need to consume. They couldn't care less that an entire product line is a disaster in terms of how it affects you. All they care about is retaining profits and market reputation. Even in their moderator's attempts to quell our discontent they have said phrases like "mutually beneficial solution." Why should any solution to this problem they have created be beneficial to them? They already stole your capital and now they what to role out post-sale fixes to keep as much of it as possible. Don't ever forget that this "Republic of Gamers" is just a branding and advertising attempt to garner your affection and trust in the same desperate ways Wendy's tries to by getting into Twitter wars with other food suppliers. You are just demographic of consumer. They are still ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - All Rights Reserved.
Just bought an 'MSI' GTX 1070 Quick Silver. Just sayin' like.[emoji6] I need to know that if something goes wrong or doesn't work as it should, those responsible will put things right.

TWP-WOLF
07-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Dear Bahz.

With all respect to ASUSTek company integrity, I wonder if ASUSTek will come out with a second generation ASUS ROG Centurion Headset with a better microphone?

If so, I will require a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) of the company I bought mine from in return of a new ASUS ROG Centurion Headset.

If possible , please let me know.

Sincerely, The Swedish Old-Timer WOLF.

Jasonparras@gmail.com
07-10-2017, 01:09 PM
It is demonstrably unlikely that a company will completely redesign a product within a reasonable amount of time and then offer consumers of the previous generation a free voucher for said second generation product. Here are some things you would need to consider about that proposition:

The time it would take to actually create a new product would be absurd.
Asus doesn't actually design or manufacture the headset in-house as revealed and admitted in the time delay for a response to the microphone issue, they have to contract a third party.
Asus would likely not want to award a subsequent contract again to the same third-party that created a sub-par product that marred their reputation. They would need to outsource anew.
Asus would have to approve the voucher for the new product to EVERY purchaser of the old product due to EVERY unit having the microphone defect.
Asus would have to publicly admit that their quality control was so poor, they sanctioned the creation of a "premium" product that was so embarrassingly flawed they were forced to redesign it completely and offer an apology which would bring into question ever other product they have ever produced that has had the slightest issue.

As you can see, the profitability and public relations nightmares this creates would likely come up in a meeting and certainly steer any Jaguar toting executives away from even considering it. An intern would probably be fired for suggesting it. The reality is, peripheral quality control issues aren't even a blip on Asus' radar. They are far more concerned with creating and marketing motherboards and GPUs utilizing AMDs and Intel's new architecture to capitalize on the competition between these two titans and earn more of that lucrative market share. Instead, if you aren't instructed to grab your Ryobi and to begin plumbing holes yourself, you will likely be offered a "refurbished" unit that will more than likely be mine or some other poor sap's headset with a few extra microphone holes drilled into it, probably by the same outfit that created the first batch at zero cost to AsusTek. And in a years time, you'll rebuild your rig and buy an Asus MoBo because hundreds of reviews will confirm that they use the highest quality and have industry leading specifications. Wheel keeps spinning baby!

TWP-WOLF
07-10-2017, 02:21 PM
Thank you Jasonparras for your information, but I'm 63 years old experienced man who making my own decisions since I was 16.

Regarding if I'm going to rebuild my computer, that will never happen, for sure.

To make a long story short, I'm NOT a ASUSTek / ASUS ROG customer any more. That time is history.

Thank You!

BoutTime01
07-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Thank you Jasonparras for your information, but I'm 63 years old experienced man who making my own decisions since I was 16.

Regarding if I'm going to rebuild my computer, that will never happen, for sure.

To make a long story short, I'm NOT a ASUSTek / ASUS ROG customer any more. That time is history.

Thank You!
Jasonparras I think you missed his point. People who buy headsets also buy motherboards and GPUs etc. There are plenty of alternatives which are comparable in price and specification. Asus failing on one product will cause people to question where they buy their next component or peripheral. I've just gone with an MSI GPU. My last one was EVGA which I bought purely because of their fantastic reputation for customer care.
It matters to a lot of people.

Jasonparras@gmail.com
07-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Jasonparras I think you missed his point. People who buy headsets also buy motherboards and GPUs etc. There are plenty of alternatives which are comparable in price and specification. Asus failing on one product will cause people to question where they buy their next component or peripheral. I've just gone with an MSI GPU. My last one was EVGA which I bought purely because of their fantastic reputation for customer care.
It matters to a lot of people.

I suspect you meant to address Mr. Wolf in your post. Regardless, I'll reiterate my point more simply:

Recalls are incredibly costly, in more ways than monetarily. I doubt you will see anything other than damage control from Asus. That is the typical response most company's provide in this capitalist society. The consumer rarely is the victor, and certainly isn't in this instance.

BoutTime01
07-10-2017, 07:05 PM
I suspect you meant to address Mr. Wolf in your post. Regardless, I'll reiterate my point more simply:

Recalls are incredibly costly, in more ways than monetarily. I doubt you will see anything other than damage control from Asus. That is the typical response most company's provide in this capitalist society. The consumer rarely is the victor, and certainly isn't in this instance.
No I meant to address you to be honest. I don't disagree with pretty much all of what you say. My point is there are consequences to Asus's behaviour to this.
No, they may not even notice when those affected by this particular issue begin to shop elsewhere when buying PC goods in future. But it may be the start of something. Word gets around and the reputation of Asus will eventually suffer. And eventually so will their sales.

JEngman
07-11-2017, 05:49 PM
As the title reads, i had the same problem. Bought the headset from komplett.se and had roughly the same reaction as everyone else seems to have had, not even friends/family could recognize my voice. I waited for the software update before i emailed them requesting RMA, told them the problem and sent a link to this forum post. Komplett.se refunded my purchase almost immediately and i went with a wireless modell from another brand that im very happy with so far, they didn't want my ROG Centurion back either so i got to keep that, maybe this will get fixed eventually and i'll end up with 2 great headsets ;).

TWP-WOLF
07-11-2017, 08:15 PM
As the title reads, i had the same problem. Bought the headset from komplett.se and had roughly the same reaction as everyone else seems to have had, not even friends/family could recognize my voice. I waited for the software update before i emailed them requesting RMA, told them the problem and sent a link to this forum post. Komplett.se refunded my purchase almost immediately and i went with a wireless modell from another brand that im very happy with so far, they didn't want my ROG Centurion back either so i got to keep that, maybe this will get fixed eventually and i'll end up with 2 great headsets ;).

I bought my ASUS ROG Centurion there as well. But have not requested an RMA so far.

JEngman
07-11-2017, 11:26 PM
I bought my ASUS ROG Centurion there as well. But have not requested an RMA so far.

Yeah i've seen your review, it was well written and informative. The headset has gotten surprisingly good marks so i added my own warning in hopes that nobody buys it until they've figured out whats wrong with it. Anyone strictly interested in a good sound would be quite happy with the headset, sadly most gamers require a decent microphone and for me it all falls short if i can't communicate properly.

Bahz
07-12-2017, 08:45 AM
I want to recommend this again like I have to some users, have you tried bending the microphone towards your mouth (so that it's within 10cm from your mouth) and see if it makes any difference?

Ljugtomten
07-12-2017, 10:21 AM
I want to recommend this again like I have to some users, have you tried bending the microphone towards your mouth (so that it's within 10cm from your mouth) and see if it makes any difference?

Are you serious? (No, noone in here have any clue about how how to position a microphone..)

HarathAU
07-12-2017, 10:43 AM

yeah my mic usually sits between 2 - 4cm from my mouth... i realise the mic bends... so thats off the table.

as i've said local recording sounds normal but over voice communications it sounds weird.

JustinThyme
07-12-2017, 10:54 AM
If it sounds normal locally, its not the Mic.

BoutTime01
07-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Very good point that!

JEngman
07-12-2017, 12:25 PM

That comment almost feels like a slap in the face lol, distance from the mouth is certainaly not the problem.

Jasonparras@gmail.com
07-12-2017, 12:35 PM
The positioning of the microphone isn't the issue. While putting it millimeters away from my voice box might help, the quality of the microphone and the fact that it is entombed in a plastic sarcophagus, barring it from being able to pick up your voice is more likely the cause. I don't think that 90% of the users of this headset spontaneously forgot how to position a microphone or that it would matter. Imagine if Samsung had a global sound quality issue on a model of TVs and their suggestion was, "Has everyone tried turning the volume up?" This is the IT support equivalent of, "Did you turn it off and then back on again?" :cool:

HarathAU
07-12-2017, 12:49 PM

since opening up the other holes it sounds *more normal locally sorry i should have been more specific, better than it does over voice communications...

i've also said previously it could be a codec issue, but there is definitely hardware issues too

Gaz936
07-12-2017, 06:55 PM

You have got to be friggin kidding me! I actually nearly pissed myself laughing at that! SERIOUSLY, what the hell do you take us for, bloody idiots???

If that is the level of advice, can l just check with you all please that you are actually putting the headset on the right way round and not with the boom mic at the rear of the head?

Just sayin ;)

Sorry, still laughing my arse off here!!!

HarathAU
07-13-2017, 08:16 AM
I just emailed my retailer about a refund, i pointed them towards this thread and the facebook picture with failed technical support and explained how long the issue has been going on for, should have a refund tomorrow or something.

In other news Logitech just purchased Astro so they might collab on something amazing in the near future.

HarathAU
07-13-2017, 08:20 AM
I reported the review manipulation to Amazon and I implore you to do the same. Leave honest reviews as well to help protect other consumers from this wave of bots praising these INCREDIBLE 3.5MM WIRELESS DETACHABLE MIC headphones.

i do believe it should be noted that on the Amazon product page, probably due to how they have set up the product it has this

and switching it to wireless changes the product to strix wireless 7.1 which would accound for the reviews about battery life being good etc... because reviews for both headsets will show up on the same product pages.

Jasonparras@gmail.com
07-13-2017, 12:00 PM
i do believe it should be noted that on the Amazon product page, probably due to how they have set up the product it has this

What
and switching it to wireless changes the product to strix wireless 7.1 which would accound for the reviews about battery life being good etc... because reviews for both headsets will show up on the same product pages.

I removed my post about review manipulation given the possibility of an err on Amazon or the seller's behalf. I'm updating them on the issue to see if they can seperate the reviews as these are two drastically different experiences. Thanks for pointing that out, not even Amazon caught that.

Nasibihc
07-13-2017, 04:47 PM
I have been following this thread for 3 weeks and read every reply there is to possibly find a solution to this problem, I didn't.

So I bought these, used them for 3 weeks and did the following tests:

- Windows 10 updated to latest updates and updated Realtek Drivers as well.
- Updated the latest firmware / drivers for this device.
- Used the microphone in Discord, Teamspeak, Battle.net voice and recorded it via OBS.
- Turned ENC on/off from the bottom of the device, ENC made it even muddier than it was before.
- Turned perfect voice on/off and also turned noise gate on/off. Keeping them both off made my voice better, but it didn't fix the actual problem with the muddyness of the voice.
- Turned mic volume up from both the device and Windows settings.
- Changed mic quality to "DVD" from Windows settings.
- Moved mic closer to mouth, but it started cracking up when I did that.
- I did not open the holes in the microphone as it would have killed my varranty/return option.

None of these helped to solve this problem.

Luckily, in my country the store I bought this headset from has a really flexible return policy regarding purchased products. You can basically test them for 30 days and return the product for a full refund if you're not happy with it. I bought 2 other headsets, Steelseries Arctis 7 and Razer ManO'War 7.1 wireless black and also tested them. Arctis 7 has the same kind of problem, the voice is a bit more clear, but it still sounds like you're in a well at 2 meters depth and you have a cold so you talk from your nose. I had 0 issues with Razer ManO'War. The sound quality was great and the mic is near crystal clear, no matter where I use it, on discord, battle.net or recording it with OBS and the enjoyment of talking with my friends so that I don't have to repeat every single thing I say for 3 times over is a relief.

I ended up returning this headset because of the microphone alone. It honestly killed the whole experience on even using them, even if the sound quality and sound modification settings are superb. There's no way I'd have paid another 100 euros just to get a good table mic with the additional problem of it picking up my keyclicks and other sounds that I don't want my stream viewers or friends to hear. Even an "attachable" microphone to the headset itself would've cost 60 euros. Razer ManO'War cost 190 euros for me, this headset was 250 euros, so there's a 60 euro difference there and I don't honestly see it "worth it" to pay 60 euros more to get a bad microphone with a slightly better sound. It's just not worth it.

I sincerely hope that you guys get this solved, my verdict on this matter is that it's most likely a hardware issue, not a software issue.

Best regards

-Nasi

FlyingLegend
07-13-2017, 07:58 PM
Just curious if anyone (preferably someone with asus ) can confirm that "drilling" the center "hole" of the mic is a fix.

Bahz
07-14-2017, 02:57 AM
Just curious if anyone (preferably someone with asus ) can confirm that "drilling" the center "hole" of the mic is a fix.

It's under verification but based on the feedback from other users, it appears the difference in minimal and doesn't address the issue completely. I would recommend not to modify the product in any way and wait for further update from us.

StuGatz83
07-14-2017, 04:17 AM
It's under verification but based on the feedback from other users, it appears the difference in minimal and doesn't address the issue completely. I would recommend not to modify the product in any way and wait for further update from us.

Can we be given an idea on when this update will materialise? This problem has now been around for quite some time and it doesn't seem that your team is giving it much priority....

Also can I suggest that possibly your team looks into if the mic is suffering due to the amp prioritising the 7.1 sound and its not able to handle both efficiently?

HarathAU
07-14-2017, 06:56 AM
Can we be given an idea on when this update will materialise? This problem has now been around for quite some time and it doesn't seem that your team is giving it much priority....

Also can I suggest that possibly your team looks into if the mic is suffering due to the amp prioritising the 7.1 sound and its not able to handle both efficiently?

i have 7.1 turned off when i'm on discord for example, doesn't make a difference

Meklon
07-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Ah well, waited for the last 2 months for any progress on this issue. Raised my RMA yesterday, extremely gutted as I absolutely <3'd the sound quality but the microphone is just.... yeah.

Sorry ROG, nail in the coffin. Time to look for a decent headset that does what it says on the box \o/

BoutTime01
07-15-2017, 04:36 PM
It's a shame for me as was hoping for a fix so I could buy one. First for the sound, secondly so I can replace my decent Soundblaster z soundcard with the Centurion amp and plug my Corsair Gaming 2.1 speakers into it instead.
I would hardly use the mic to be honest. But it's not the point. I'm not paying over £200 for a faulty product.
So I've looked into alternatives and will probably go for the Steelseries Arctis 7. The USB soundcard won't be quite as good but I can still plug my speakers into it and it automatically switches between speakers and headphones with the headphone power. The mic is supposed to be good, the sound excellent and they can be had for £130.

Jasonparras@gmail.com
07-16-2017, 07:34 AM
I just purchased a digital to analog converter along with an amp to plug in my new Fostex TH900s. That is the level some of us gamers will go to for quality and now my business has gone elsewhere.

antomime
07-16-2017, 08:16 PM
I've done to much "modding" to my headset to be a test guinea pig for this, so can 1 of you try this & let me know if it makes ANY difference at all.
Windows 64 bit person Only!!!!
Go to Search > Task Scheduler open it
follow image - right mouse click for disable option.

Update if it makes Any difference.
Also make sure perfect voice is 50% & noise gate is no more than 30% no more than those for testing reasons......
If you are going to listen to it yourself (local recording) Remember REVERB might be turned on so turn it off.

I've test this & the software works with this done, But as for sound... my modding has it sounding pretty damm Good, so cant tell if this did anything.

antomime
07-16-2017, 08:21 PM
i have 7.1 turned off when i'm on discord for example, doesn't make a difference

only time 7.1 will work, is if its 5.1 or 7.1 input, it'll deafult to 2.0 if its stereo on mono input, so no need to turn it off. But good reply to his post saves me testing something else.

Ljugtomten
07-16-2017, 10:08 PM
I've done to much "modding" to my headset to be a test guinea pig for this, so can 1 of you try this & let me know if it makes ANY difference at all.
Windows 64 bit person Only!!!!
Go to Search > Task Scheduler open it
follow image - right mouse click for disable option.

Update if it makes Any difference.
Also make sure perfect voice is 50% & noise gate is no more than 30% no more than those for testing reasons......
If you are going to listen to it yourself (local recording) Remember REVERB might be turned on so turn it off.

I've test this & the software works with this done, But as for sound... my modding has it sounding pretty damm Good, so cant tell if this did anything.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree regarding disabling that service.
In your screenshot, when zooming in you can almost see that the task nhAsusROG71Svc32Run have not run since 1999-11-30 = never.
On my computer, that task and nhAsusROG71Svc64Run have no triggers defined for when to run, which means they will never be executed.

Bahz
07-17-2017, 03:31 AM
I want to update that I was told by our team that they're working on a new solution, it's not an accurate assessment to assume nothing is being done about this. Everything takes time and I know everyone expects a solution as soon as possible, but we're working on this as quickly as possible and our product team said the new solution looks promising but is still being worked on and will require internal testing before we can offer it to the public.

Gaz936
07-17-2017, 07:41 AM
I want to update that I was told by our team that they're working on a new solution, it's not an accurate assessment to assume nothing is being done about this. Everything takes time and I know everyone expects a solution as soon as possible, but we're working on this as quickly as possible and our product team said the new solution looks promising but is still being worked on and will require internal testing before we can offer it to the public.

Good day Bahz...

Thank you for the update. Would it be possible for you inform us if this new solution is a firmware or hardware update? Or even both?

Do you have any idea on how long this will take?

Kind regards...

antomime
07-17-2017, 09:22 AM
I think you are barking up the wrong tree regarding disabling that service.
In your screenshot, when zooming in you can almost see that the task nhAsusROG71Svc32Run have not run since 1999-11-30 = never.
On my computer, that task and nhAsusROG71Svc64Run have no triggers defined for when to run, which means they will never be executed.

Ah, appears your right, ty this helps me with a different probliem i'm workin gon makes it easy to see its missing its trigger.

Bahz
07-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Software based update, they're currently working on it so once they confirm on the schedule and I'm allowed to share then I will update on this. Hardware based alternatives are being looked into but anytime you need to offer a hardware based solution it will take much longer.

Bahz
07-18-2017, 11:23 AM
UPDATE 9/25/2017:
I will be leaving the company and no longer handling any threads on the ROG forum. Please PM the information below to MasterC@ASUS

I'm closing this thread to make sure that this post doesn't get pushed down the list and allow new users who visits this thread to see this.

Since there are a lot of people on this thread and I'm afraid I may end up missing some people, please send a PM to MasterC@ASUS with the required information below and I'll reply to you with further information about this new hardware solution. The other software based update mentioned above will also be offered a bit later.

Full name:
Address with ZIP/Postal code:
Phone#:
S/N (should contain the letters "CM" inside):
Link to image of purchase invoice:

Thanks,
Bahz