PDA

View Full Version : GPUTweak II 1.4.2.3 issue

kompura
03-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Just installed the newest version.
- Shows correctly GPU clock
- Does not remember any of it's settings after reboot (yes apply settings each time GPU tweak II starts is selected)

Windows 10 pro.
Old version removed via windows uninstall and GPUtweak removal tool + ccleaner run.

MikeS3000
03-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Same setup, same problems. When I close the program and restart the program all settings and custom profiles are gone.

Nate152
03-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Hi guys,

I haven't tested this version yet, I'll install it and see if I get the same problem.

Welcome to the ROG forum Mike.

Nate152
03-03-2017, 02:19 PM
All right,

The new version is saving my settings after rebooting.

What I did was "Save New" and typed in my name NATE152 shown in red, entered my overclock settings and fan profile then rebooted and my settings are all there.

It's reading the core clock correctly too.

panzlock
03-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Someone call ASUS and tell them to get rid of that Ghost Recon backdrop. If children want this on their PC ASUS can certainly provide the option, but this should not be standard.

Nate152
03-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Aww come on Panzlock you don't like the new skin? I think it looks pretty cool with two new games,

Of course these are mature rated games so if there are any children in the house parents should act accordingly, sure they're a little violent but that's what makes it fun and no worse than some movies on TV so I don't think it's such a bad thing do you?

I like it, they didn't put 1 game they put 2, For Honor is a good sword fighting game, I've played that one. Ghost Recon Wildlands is playable March 7th.

When I was a child I would want to play these games rather than watch Romper Room wouldn't you. :D

panzlock
03-03-2017, 03:49 PM
To each their own but given the necessary update which provides users with correct clock speed readings GPUTweak II should have the standard, professional appearance with the new skin as an option. It just doesn't look good although SOME may opt to use it.

Mind you I won't be using GPUTII until it allows fan speed utilization below 38% so I'm not even sure why I'm voicing my discontent.

Nate152
03-03-2017, 04:06 PM
I don't think it looks unprofessional with the new skin, I guess opinions will vary.

Maybe you could start a Yay and Nay thread about the new skin?

panzlock
03-03-2017, 05:00 PM
I don't think we need to take the topic that far as it is rather trivial. But I feel the end user should have an option at the very least.

And I have to disagree with you on aesthetic character. This no longer looks like a dedicated optimization engine with slider gauges and reference numbers providing performance readouts. This now looks like a marketing tool for the developers of these games with which ASUS has an agreement. On top of that, the display is rather hindered by the backdrop conflicting with the software essentials.

Some like it, others do not. But if you don't your options are to:

a.) Deal with it,

2.) Revert to to an older version which misrepresents clock speeds,

or

D.) Revert to an even older version with a non-functioning custom fan curve.

Again, trivial, but I don't think GPUTII developers thought this through.

From my perspective the devs just added another reason for me not to use this software, the primary reason being the inability to reduce fan speeds any further resulting in regular fan fluctuations and poor fan curve and temperature optimization.

Just my suggestions to ASUS; realize the benefit of a fan curve that begins at 0%, and allow users to choose software skin or even customize it themselves. EVGA has done that with Precision X and I feel it's a pretty good option.

Again, I love the original look of GPUTII. It has a different layout to Precision X and MSI AB but similar general aesthetics and it looks elegant. The new version...does not. It is neither subtle or classy. Like getting a tattoo on your forehead. I'm not comparing the two, just using another example.

Nate152
03-03-2017, 05:28 PM
This new version is working fine, my fans are off until the gpu temp hits 60c then I have them kick on full throttle, temps are anywhere from 60c - 65c under full load.

If you want your fans to run at low rpm's maybe just try setting it on auto that usually runs pretty quiet, or you could run in silent mode with a -25MHz in clock speed.

I see what you're saying 38% is the lowest it lets you set, likely for safety measures and nvidia could be behind it.

panzlock
03-03-2017, 06:57 PM
My fans work fine, as well. But when certain conditions are added to the fold, for example enabling vsync, additional fine tuning of the fan speeds is required otherwise the fans pulse on and off every 2 seconds or so once the temperature reaches 55C. It's annoying and long term probably not a good thing for them. MSI ABs less restrictive fan profiles allow me to curtail this issue allowing the fans to run more consistently, eliminating frequent pulsing. When the fans spin to 20% instead of 38%, for example, they cool the GPU slower thus preventing fan shut down. With GPUTweak II what happens is the fans spin to 1400+ RPM (38%), the GPU cools to below 55C in a matter of seconds and the fans promptly shut off. The GPU then heats up again, and the fans spin back up to 38% and this continues every couple of seconds hence the pulsing.

MSI builds Nvidia approved boards and their software is not limited to 38%. Why would GPUTII be? I think this is an ASUS preference or an ASUS oversight.

Oh, and like Precision X, an OSD feature would be nice, wouldn't anyone agree? I believe MSI has this, as well, but I was never able to get it to work. Always something.

Nate152
03-03-2017, 07:47 PM
With v-sync on you're gpu is likely not at 100% usage is why temps are lower, if you're setting the temp to 55c try setting the temp to 60c the fans should be off until the temp hits 60c.

panzlock
03-03-2017, 08:13 PM
I realize that. The entire system runs cooler with vsync on. With vsync off the fan curve remains consistent with the fans simply spooling up and down when necessary but everything runs hotter so I tend to leave it on considering my monitor refreshes at 60Hz only.

Also, I can't set a custom fan curve with the version of GPUTII I currently have and am reluctant to upgrade due to ongoing issues with later versions and now, on top of that, a rather...disagreeable background infused into the software.

Why raise the temp limit when I can adapt the fan curve, instead? I'd rather keep the temps at 55C with the fans spinning around 1000 RPM instead of fluctuating between 1400+ RPM and 0 RPM. You see my point?

GPUTII, as much as I like it still requires some minor revisions when compared to MSI AB which has been refined very well over the years.

Nate152
03-03-2017, 08:18 PM
Another option would be to set the fans manually. :)

panzlock
03-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Yeah, but, not below 38%.

Nate152
03-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Yep and as I mentioned earlier it could be Nvidia's setting, it looks to me just like they cap the voltage they cap the lowest fan setting too.

Both seem to be safety restrictions and if that's so Asus has to abide by what Nvidia says.

panzlock
03-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Then why doesn't MSI?

Nate152
03-03-2017, 09:06 PM
I don't know what is MSI's minimum fan speed ?

I'll get clarification if Nvidia or Asus set the minimum fan speed of 38% and if it can be changed but to what ?

cartoonistas
03-03-2017, 10:22 PM
I can confirm that does not remember any of it's settings after reboot, kompura is right

kpartyka
03-03-2017, 10:38 PM
It isn't saving my settings either.

cartoonistas
03-03-2017, 11:04 PM
It isn't saving my settings either.

I switched to the previous version everything there are saved ok

panzlock
03-04-2017, 12:17 AM
I don't know what is MSI's minimum fan speed ?

I'll get clarification if Nvidia or Asus set the minimum fan speed of 38% and if it can be changed but to what ?

In custom I set the fan to 0% until 55C, at which point I told it to operate at 20%. It works just fine.

That would be awesome. My suggestion for the change would be to do the same as MSI. From 0% to 100%. It can be defaulted to 38% if ASUS desires, but in custom the the users should retain complete control of the fan curve if they so wish.

Now, I did just realize something. Using custom fan curve are you able to set a speed between 0% and 38%? I've no way of knowing since my version of GPUTII has no functioning custom fan curve. And I'm not downloading another version since other functions are lost as a result. Maybe my protests are redundant, lol.

Chino
03-04-2017, 04:08 AM
Using custom fan curve are you able to set a speed between 0% and 38%?

No. The minimum is still 38%. I doubt it will change in future versions. I

luigi.lauro
03-04-2017, 06:16 AM
Not saving my settings either... i have no words to express what I think of the quality of releases of this software.

Nate152
03-04-2017, 12:57 PM
Ok so this morning it's not keeping my settings either it goes back to defaults on reboot, I'll let the administrator know.

ikrananka
03-04-2017, 02:57 PM
And I have to disagree with you on aesthetic character. This no longer looks like a dedicated optimization engine with slider gauges and reference numbers providing performance readouts. This now looks like a marketing tool for the developers of these games with which ASUS has an agreement. On top of that, the display is rather hindered by the backdrop conflicting with the software essentials.

Well I'm going to throw my hat into the ring and add to the voices of discontent regarding the awful marketing skin that has been applied. As far as I am concerned it adds nothing to the aesthetic value of the software and is does in fact obscure and disrupt the reading of important information (check out the Info tab for instance). I have no interest in these games and even if I did, I do NOT want some poorly Photoshoped image of them obscuring the clean interface of this software.

I too have been suffering from the pulsing fans issue due to the 38% min fan limit. Time to check out MSI Afterburner!!!!!

Nate152
03-04-2017, 03:05 PM
They're doing it because they're giving you For Honor or Ghost Recon Wildlands (your choice) when you buy an ROG Strix 1070 or 1080, I see it as a mice bonus. :)

ikrananka
03-04-2017, 03:57 PM
They're doing it because they're giving you For Honor or Ghost Recon Wildlands (your choice) when you buy an ROG Strix 1070 or 1080, I see it as a mice bonus. :)

But the large proportion of us have already bought a ROG Strix 1070 or 1080 prior to this offer and so the skin is irrelevant to us. Aside from it obscuring details that we're using the software to check, there should at the very least be an option to turn the skin off.

Nate152
03-04-2017, 04:21 PM
All right,

I'll send your requests to the administrator, it would be nice to toggle it on or off.

Bahz
03-04-2017, 04:39 PM
I apologize to all of those who are having issues, this is a special version to promote the 2 new game titles. The 1.4.2.2 is the version without the game skin that should have been posted up more than a week ago. It's been on the server but for some reason the team responsible for the support side hasn't made this version live yet. We should have version 1.4.2.2 live on all the product pages by early next week. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ikrananka
03-04-2017, 04:46 PM
All right,

I'll send your requests to the administrator, it would be nice to toggle it on or off.

Thank you :)

ikrananka
03-04-2017, 04:48 PM
I apologize to all of those who are having issues, this is a special version to promote the 2 new game titles. The 1.4.2.2 is the version without the game skin that should have been posted up more than a week ago. It's been on the server but for some reason the team responsible for the support side hasn't made this version live yet. We should have version 1.4.2.2 live on all the product pages by early next week. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Well that's good to know - thanks for the update.

Now we'll have to wait for the next version that hopefully will consistently saves custom profiles......

aeertavy6b4y4
03-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Settings are not saved -pro mode home settings - agree (fixed by custom profile)

When I first started to use the external fan speed arrow mouse click adjustments it was changing the Frame rate for some reason (maybe fixed by custom profile).

When I go to settings and select overclocking range enhancement and save, the setting is not checked on restart, and automatically start monitor is now checked when it was not before, and starts, and then to un check the monitor auto start checkbox i have to double click/ click multiple times.

And about external fan settings, you see, I actually have control over how many and where I place my fans in my case, I also have control over where I plug my fans in on the m/board. I also have control over fan settings and speeds. I now have the option to plug SOME of my fans into an ASUS ROG video card, as then I would be able to ramp the fans of my choice to levels of my choosing. But for some reason, the official rog software for doing this does not give me this control.

Will we ever be able to set the fan profile for the external fan settings to our choosing, including starting the fan profile at 0, or 5, or 10, or 15, or even 30 %?

Cheers

Bahz
03-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Another update from our software team is that version 1.4.3.4 is currently being verified internally and should be posted up to our servers by Thursday. I don't know why the last time when the 1.4.2.2 version was updated more than a week ago and wasn't made live by our support team. This time I have instructed our software team to help follow through and make sure that this new version will be available on the product pages approximately by this Friday.

thegreenthing
03-08-2017, 12:10 PM
The transparency makes the util so hard to read to say the least. Can't even read/see the version number.
Terrible :mad:

MrAgapiGC
03-08-2017, 05:01 PM
I did the update perfect, no issues also. i test some new profile using the OC with the fan curve and on reboot the profile still there. Bahz tell the team, activate the skin profile so users can change back to the original or add new ones from any source that will be nice, Asus can continue the promo on those games. (sadly i buy my card Jan11 so no free program, was my Bday gift for myself:o . What i did in my case, i uninstall the app, reboot. Install the one and was working find. Someone here talk some dropping of the frame rate. WE also did check that, but we are convince that is the last nvidia driver, on our case. Cheers guys!!!!!

damianme
03-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Someone call ASUS and tell them to get rid of that Ghost Recon backdrop. If children want this on their PC ASUS can certainly provide the option, but this should not be standard.

^This. I get that they're probably one of the sponsors of the game, but the backdrop is simply annoying.

Back to the topic, it seems to have been saving the settings correctly now.

Bahz
03-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll be sure to pass along the feedback. Cheers.

ste92a
03-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Hi all link please

Nate152
03-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Here ya go ste92a

Select your operating system then utilities.

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

ste92a
03-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Hi all link please

Thanks it only show the version that was bugged Ver1423 from 1st march

ste92a
03-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Thanks it only show the version that was bugged Ver1423 from 1st march

Nate152
03-09-2017, 05:15 PM
As of now 1.4.2.3 is the latest version, new versions of GPU Tweak II should be here any day.

ste92a
03-09-2017, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=Nate152;636887]As of now 1.4.2.3 is the latest version, new versions of GPU Tweak II should be here any day

Thank you

jdalink
03-10-2017, 09:08 PM
As of now 1.4.2.3 is the latest version, new versions of GPU Tweak II should be here any day.

Hi everyone, i found the version 1.4.3.9 inn this page [http://support.asus.com.cn/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=GPUTweak%20II&p=9&s=13] (http://support.asus.com.cn/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=GPUTweak%20II&p=9&s=13)
Fixed profile not saving issue

ste92a
03-11-2017, 02:37 PM
hi everyone, i found the version 1.4.3.9 inn this page [http://support.asus.com.cn/download.aspx?slanguage=en&m=gputweak%20ii&p=9&s=13] (http://support.asus.com.cn/download.aspx?slanguage=en&m=gputweak%20ii&p=9&s=13)
fixed profile not saving issue

thanks

panzlock
03-20-2017, 01:47 AM
Just experienced a new issue with my 1070. When in 0db mode the fans don't spin until 55C is reached. However, after some time the two left most fans begin to spin continuously while the right most fan remains dormant and the only way for me to stop this is to engage manual mode. This activates the third fan but more importantly allows me to enable the previous settings. Once again all fans shut down as 0db is again active. The reset only works in this way. If I simply choose between my custom settings there is no effect and the two fans continue spinning while the third sleeps.

Here is the strange part. This happens not only in GPU Tweak II but in MSI AB, as well. I was, however, able to prevent a recurrence by increasing the minimum fan speed up to 27% with MSI AB. One % lower and the fans pulse between 0% and 25% and then after some time the same thing, one fan shuts down permanently while the remaining two spin continually until I perform the reset.

Does the VBIOS on ROG Strix cards prevent fan spooling below 25% thus creating a conflict between the card and software meant to manage it? Trying to get to the bottom of this phenomenon.