PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to build an overkill Computer

Turner1666
03-06-2017, 03:01 AM
What is the best motherboard to get. My build is going to have 2 gpu (gtx 1080 or 1080 ti) and I'm watercooling everything and overclocking

redone13
03-06-2017, 03:17 AM
The IX Forumla.

JustinThyme
03-06-2017, 03:59 AM
Pretty bland on the description. There is overkill, then there is extreme overkill then there is nuclear meltdown overkill.

If you are going the Kaby lake route and whats available right now the IX formula with a 7700K, if you want to wait a bit then the IX extreme should be hitting market any time now. If you want to skip past all of this and wait until later in the year the skylake x and X299 platform will give you the nuclear meltdown.

If you are going for overclocking in the competitive arena the Apex.

ATM my main rig is an IX formula with a 7700K @ 5.2 Ghz and 2x Strix 1080 A8G GPUs in SLI all in a custom loop. AIO doesnt really count for liquid cooled IMO, more like an air cooling alternative that is cheaply made with plastic that has had more than one report of pieces breaking off and spewing coolant thereby destroying complete systems, or close to all of it. I think the last one I read the PSU survived.

FuryA
03-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Welcome join the FROG family
M9 APEX is good for OC :D Pretty design
specifically the M.2 DIMM/2DIMMs for extreme OC

Chino
03-06-2017, 03:54 PM
and I'm watercooling everything

The Maximus IX Formula is a very good choice. :)

Arne Saknussemm
03-06-2017, 04:37 PM
I'd hang on a bit at this point and wait for the Maximus IX Extreme. Better M2 cooling and has what looks to be a very nice block on it.

This would be the basis of a killer system....of course for overkill you'd have to move this thread to X99 section and a Rampage V Edition 10 ;)

JustinThyme
03-06-2017, 06:56 PM
IRampage V Edition 10 ;)

Old news that is 1 step from obsolete, 2 year old platform.
Like I said, if your going that far then just wait for the Skylake X and X299 chipset due out soon, no sense in investing in old technology. Seems there is someone posting in this thread that just offloaded theirs while they could still get a decent price for it before it plummets.

Arne Saknussemm
03-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Not me...I have kept mine ;)

and if you could point me in the direction of the store selling X299...:p

There is also RYZEN!

Turner1666
03-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Old news that is 1 step from obsolete, 2 year old platform.
Like I said, if your going that far then just wait for the Skylake X and X299 chipset due out soon, no sense in investing in old technology. Seems there is someone posting in this thread that just offloaded theirs while they could still get a decent price for it before it plummets.

What's the specs for skylake x and what's so different from skylake x and 7700k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arne Saknussemm
03-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Not sure if anyone knows for sure...not sure if RYZEN will force Intel to up their game for the platform.

44 PCIe lanes supposedly...quad channel RAM...10 core 20 thread processor...4 more lanes than X99 dual M2 SSD a possibility I guess DMI 3.0

7700K 24 PCIe lanes dual channel 4core 8 thread processor....

Korth
03-07-2017, 01:27 AM
@Turner1666

i7-7700K, ASUS/ROG Maximus IX (or basically any other ASUS/ROG Z270) motherboard, 16GB (or more) of DDR4-2666 (or faster) - with your pair of GTX1080/1080Ti GPU cards is quite overkill enough for 4K gaming. It'll run every heavy title today, it'll keep running every heavy title (or at least most of them) for maybe another five years, I'm sure future GPUs and monitors will reach insanities we can barely imagine today but if you're content with the "best" quality available today then you should be happy with this platform for a little while, lol. Remember, too, that most games are intended to run on "mainstream" platforms, it'll take years for software to catch up enough that you'll begin to notch your settings or fps down, it'll take many years more before you can't even meet basic system requirements to run cool stuff.

An X99 platform does have some technical advantages over Z270. More processor cores and cache, more DDR4 memory capacity and bandwidth, more PCIe lanes. It can even run Xeon E5 processors, some of which are even better than the best of their Core i7-X counterparts. But very few (if any) games benefit from or make any use of all those extra cores and threads, they're just not code-optimized for it. No games currently require more than 16GB physical RAM, few will ever make much use of ridiculous 64GB or 128GB (or higher) RAM capacities, they're just not "big" enough. Games also don't need all that extra memory bandwidth, the potential will basically sit idle unless you decide to uncompress some monstrous archives or something. The performance advantages of 40-lanes for multi-GPU just ain't that great, x16/x16 PCIe has very little functional advantage over x8/x8 PCIe and 3-GPU or 4-GPU SLI/CF configs scale very poorly, "dismal waste" is probably a better descriptor than "diminishing returns" for the vast majority of game titles.

So I'd say X99 fits the definition of "overkill" much better than i7/Z270 - it's full of expensive technical capabilities which are essentially useless for any sort of gaming. The best X99 today is probably an R5E10 with i7-6950X (or E5-2689-4 or E5-2687W-4) - it's @JustinThyme's "extreme overkill" for any game you could run. The upcoming X299 stuff will be even more almost-useless overkill, if you can wait.

"Nuclear meltdown overkill" could be accomplished by emulating PCx86/x64 virtual machines on a Petaflop-class supercomputing platform, like something built by Cray or IBM. But not all of these can run as "fast" as a Kaby Lake, lol, they're intended for massive parallel/GPGPU processing, distributed cluster projects, and the like. Certainly overkill, but they won't be able to run your game any faster, they'll just be able to run a thousand instances of it simultaneously, lol.

Turner1666
03-07-2017, 01:36 AM
@Turner1666

i7-7700K, ASUS/ROG Maximus IX (or basically any other ASUS/ROG Z270) motherboard, 16GB (or more) of DDR4-2666 (or faster) - with your pair of GTX1080/1080Ti GPU cards is quite overkill enough for 4K gaming. It'll run every heavy title today, it'll keep running every heavy title (or at least most of them) for maybe another five years, I'm sure future GPUs and monitors will reach insanities we can barely imagine today but if you're content with the "best" quality available today then you should be happy with this platform for a little while, lol. Remember, too, that most games are intended to run on "mainstream" platforms, it'll take years for software to catch up enough that you'll begin to notch your settings or fps down, it'll take many years more before you can't even meet basic system requirements to run cool stuff.

An X99 platform does have some technical advantages over Z270. More processor cores and cache, more DDR4 memory capacity and bandwidth, more PCIe lanes. It can even run Xeon E5 processors, some of which are even better than the best of their Core i7-X counterparts. But very few (if any) games benefit from or make any use of all those extra cores and threads, they're just not code-optimized for it. No games currently require more than 16GB physical RAM, few will ever make much use of ridiculous 64GB or 128GB (or higher) RAM capacities, they're just not "big" enough. Games also don't need all that extra memory bandwidth, the potential will basically sit idle unless you decide to uncompress some monstrous archives or something. The performance advantages of 40-lanes for multi-GPU just ain't that great, x16/x16 PCIe has very little functional advantage over x8/x8 PCIe and 3-GPU or 4-GPU SLI/CF configs scale very poorly, "dismal waste" is probably a better descriptor than "diminishing returns" for the vast majority of game titles.

So I'd say X99 fits the definition of "overkill" much better than i7/Z270 - it's full of expensive technical capabilities which are essentially useless for any sort of gaming. The best X99 today is probably an R5E10 with i7-6950X (or E5-2689-4 or E5-2687W-4) - it's @JustinThyme's "extreme overkill" for any game you could run. The upcoming X299 stuff will be even more almost-useless overkill, if you can wait.

"Nuclear meltdown overkill" could be accomplished by emulating PCx86/x64 virtual machines on a Petaflop-class supercomputing platform, like something built by Cray or IBM. But not all of these can run as "fast" as a Kaby Lake, lol, they're intended for massive parallel/GPGPU processing, distributed cluster projects, and the like. Certainly overkill, but they won't be able to run your game any faster, they'll just be able to run a thousand instances of it simultaneously, lol.

My build is not only for gaming, I'm going to be in school for game design and I like doing video and sounds edit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk