PDA

View Full Version : SSD drives for laptops? :S Not sure if I like them anymore

AdelaisAer
01-08-2012, 07:24 PM
I hear that SSDs are not all that great. I mean, they have an amazingly-high read speed, compared to HDDs. But writing to SSDs is horrible because it "kills" them, so to speak. Most people just assign their SSDs to their OS and put everything else to their HDDs, but what about stuff like email programs or IMs or games that can only be installed to C: (such as Minecraft)?

I honestly don't think I like the idea of SSDs just because of their life expectancy going down due to simple writes done every so often. :/ What do you think?

BrodyBoy
01-08-2012, 08:08 PM
I suppose that concern depends a lot on one's typical usage and laptop life expectancy. I've seen people make elaborate arguments about how an SSD might live only 5 years compared to an HDD's 7 years, and then make cost per Gb per year analyses, etc. I doubt if I've ever used ANY kind of drive for five years.....I know I've never used a laptop for five years! So that stuff is irrelevent to me, personally.

Considering that I upgrade every 2-3 years, that's about how long I need a drive to last. The Intel SSD in my N73 is a little over a year old, and its "wear level" has barely budged. It's been a real workhorse, too. I install all programs to it (including my email program and data), and I download & move stuff around on this machine all the time, with never a consideration for whether it's writing to the SSD or HDD. (I do have my default data save locations set to the HDD.) No problems at all, to date.

I really like the fast starts and shutdowns I get with SSDs, and how quiet they are. For me, that alone is worth the cost of the upgrade. But I don't think they are the massive performance upgrade some owners claim....during regular, ongoing use, the difference really isn't that noticeable.

I like them, and I don't care if their lifespan's a little shorter than an HDD's. But I'm not evangelical about them....I think the newer 7200rpm HDDs are great performers as well. To each his own....

AdelaisAer
01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I suppose that concern depends a lot on one's typical usage and laptop life expectancy. I've seen people make elaborate arguments about how an SSD might live only 5 years compared to an HDD's 7 years, and then make cost per Gb per year analyses, etc. I doubt if I've ever used ANY kind of drive for five years.....I know I've never used a laptop for five years! So that stuff is irrelevent to me, personally.

Considering that I upgrade every 2-3 years, that's about how long I need a drive to last. The Intel SSD in my N73 is a little over a year old, and its "wear level" has barely budged. It's been a real workhorse, too. I install all programs to it (including my email program and data), and I download & move stuff around on this machine all the time, with never a consideration for whether it's writing to the SSD or HDD. (I do have my default data save locations set to the HDD.) No problems at all, to date.

I really like the fast starts and shutdowns I get with SSDs, and how quiet they are. For me, that alone is worth the cost of the upgrade. But I don't think they are the massive performance upgrade some owners claim....during regular, ongoing use, the difference really isn't that noticeable.

I like them, and I don't care if their lifespan's a little shorter than an HDD's. But I'm not evangelical about them....I think the newer 7200rpm HDDs are great performers as well. To each his own....

Well, on my G74SX (that I sent back to Amazon and getting a replacement one), I had my OS on an SSD, and I had an HDD 7200RPM divided into two sections (forget the proper term). I installed my games on my HDD and my email programs and everything else on my SSD, but I got worried about wearing it out too much, especially because Minecraft can only be installed to C:, and it does a lot of writing, depends on what kind of worlds you play on. But my HDDs seem to be working really well, and my OS on my SSD boots up REALLY quickly and nicely, so I like that.

But yeah, if it can last at least four or five years without problem, then I will most likely upgrade my laptop by then, either replacing it entirely or just upgrading its components (which may ultimately include replacing the harddrives).

thesting
01-08-2012, 11:06 PM
What's the big deal about buying a new SSD every 5 years... Just keep a recent Windows backup on a different drive or stop playing Minecraft (lol).

PILGRIM
01-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Personally, I think an SSD is meant to be fully used and abused.
It's not supposed to be coddled as if it's a fragile thing.

Perhaps the reason for the unneeded "fear" is the idea that SSDs are still in the
experimental stage and its longevity is still unknown as to the wear-and-tear variable.

Like BrodyBoy, I also don't use the same laptop for that long-a-time (2 years at the most).
So, hypothetically, if my SSD's life span is say, 2-3 years, then its usage has been well served.
(But an SSD should go more than just 2-3 years usage..)

@thesting: I can't read any of AdelaisAer and BrodyBoy's posts actually saying about buying
an SSD every 5 years..:confused: