PDA

View Full Version : Logged off after 5min? WTH?

HalloweenWeed
01-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I just started posting a BIG post on a thread of mine, and it took me quite a while. When I got done, it said I was not logged in, and I lost ALL lf the info I had just typed in!!!!! :mad:
This was a great site a few days ago, and did not have this prob. Fix it or I quit. :mad:

HiVizMan
01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
I am not having that issue, maybe your ISP reset dynamic IP?

Is it still doing that weirdness?

HalloweenWeed
01-09-2012, 03:56 PM
I am not having that issue, maybe your ISP reset dynamic IP?

Is it still doing that weirdness?
Could've been, I suppose, Satellite Internet (Wildblue). I had just logged in not 30mins prev, after being surprised that I was not logged in this morn.

I was not logged off between these two posts.

HiVizMan
01-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Let me know if that happens again and I will get hold of the back end guy and have him check it out. But I get the same sort of thing when my ISP updates or refreshes my IP every morning at 9.30

Cheers

HalloweenWeed
01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
I was especially irritated bc I lost so much text, and the auto-logoff time was also the most irritating thing about the old Asus forum still in operation.

HalloweenWeed
01-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Hey FireFox just updated to 9 yesterday too FYI. JIC it's related.

HiVizMan
01-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah I saw the epic post your made. Dude if that had happened to me I would have been freaked.

HalloweenWeed
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Fortunately most of it was pasted from txt files. The couple of paragraphs in the middle was on-the-fly the first time. I just now realized some of the lost content, editing again.

No logoff since the last post 50mins. ago.

chrsplmr
01-09-2012, 06:24 PM
The forum server has a timer on holding the connection..i think..it will say..'your token has expired'...ect..

here is a work around for big posts that I use...right before i click save...i click in the post area
type[ctrl/a], type[ctrl/c]..........then go for save if it flys -- good to go -- if not, your work is on the clipboard..

...but i never log out..only sleep...and never have to re enter psswrds...ect....

and the work is never exactly the same/twice...is it?....but good twice..hahahhaha..c.

HallowWeenWeed---im chuck'l'n my socks wet... [ The Computer is gorgeous BTW,congrats]

"...my second wive's computer..never shuts up..nag,nag,nag..[we can divorce the wife but
keep the puter...future shock].....i got it.....but i think in cartoons...sooo
Just what i saw from my side of the mirror..haha

..And a Second Computer Eve (http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=27616) (My Wife's-Whom I wouldn't want to breath air without.)
...just saying--I chuckled/with brother/never @
....see what happens when nobody lets me play with pictures...hahahahahhahahah..c.

HalloweenWeed
01-09-2012, 06:51 PM
OK I just got auto-logged out again after just an hour or two of inactivity. Try clearing your cookies (re-log-in) and see what happens (HiVizMan) just before leaving it idle for over an hour. HiVizMan plz report this issue to the appropriate mod/administrator.

chrsplmr: I'm pretty sure the login time is embedded in a cookie, not on the server. When the cookie expires, the login expires.

DaemonCantor
01-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Your right HalloweenWeed....and as you click on things or refresh your browser it updates the time in the cookie...

HalloweenWeed
01-09-2012, 07:32 PM
I still think the time is too short, I don't want to log-in six times a day! It will annoy me enough that I won't visit the forums much. It wasn't like this two days ago!

chrsplmr
01-09-2012, 08:01 PM
i have never been logged out.. the cookie makes sense...server only has to check cookie..
open a page on the forum that refreshes and leave it up in tabs...thats probably the dif..
see if that works..
still an open edit for any length of time will have the token expire..
even if i close all browsers and open later..i am logged in...
im not complaining..when the forum first 'crossed over' it took me days
of ........ to get on...circles...[email admin-anybody-good idea--in case of lock out]
good luck Weed''''''thats annoying....'specially if ur contribut'n....c.

HalloweenWeed
01-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Chris, if you deleted you cookies you would get a new one when you logged in again, and then you would see it (after an hour). I believe they have changed the time setting. You are still using an old cookie with a very long expiration.

BTW, I just had to log in yet again to post this. Irritating.

To Asus guys, I have quite a reputation at EVGA forums, I know you have heard the legend of the EVGA forums, I have about 4500 posts there, 95% of which are thoughtful, helpful post that often help ppl. I have 31 blue ribbons there, each one worth $2 toward an EVGA site purchase of EVGA products (they stack, I have $62 credit toward next purchase); for my best thoughtful, helpful posts. Recently, I have become dual-forum, after purchasing my third Asus mobo. It is things like these that make the difference between a good forum, and an awesome forum. I know I will not be the only one put off by the new login time limit. Bottom line: If you want me and ppl like me to remain here, you will have it fixed. Otherwise, goodbye. I am not interested in explanations that don't help my situation, nor excuses.

HiVizMan
01-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I have elevated this but I honestly do not think that anything has changed. Who else is having this happen to them?

Have you updated to the new Firefox, or changed your security settings?

xeromist
01-09-2012, 09:06 PM
FWIW, I have an extension for Firefox called ReloadEvery that you can use to ensure you stay logged in. I know that's not the answer you were looking for but it's a workaround while your request is reviewed.

chrsplmr
01-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Weed...

4500 posts on evga? well, it was an honest mistake. hahahha...kidding brother...cudos.

this forum was born around dec 7.th....merged with north america..
almost smooth.....almost.
for one thing.. a full time duty admin will not begin until feb....sad..i know.
all involved with this amazing effort...had other..full time duties..
some many other responsibilities....
...this forum has clawed a long way...
...its not the north american forum....because...well..Global explains itself.
This is going to get very interesting..very soon i believe.

have a bit more patience...let this blossum before you decide its a weed...respectfully suggested..
members of your caliber...you understand..the new guyz in with boards need experienced enthusiasts..we all grow in this..c.

...btw...nice perks over there in evgaLand...im still waiting for
a t-shirt....one....just one.....*hint...yea..i want it....reviewers unite..hahahha

HalloweenWeed
01-09-2012, 10:32 PM
OK, but like I said, the wasn't happening two days ago, so it must've been a recent change in something. And yes, as I said in Post #6 FF upadted to 9.0.1 yesterday. I think this is what caused my cookies to be cleared.

EDIT: I just noticed another forum had logged me out in just over an hour too, it may be a FF 9 prob. I will do some testing and notify of the results on this thread soon.

chrsplmr
01-09-2012, 11:55 PM
awesome....thnkU sir.

HalloweenWeed
01-10-2012, 02:15 AM
You don't need call me sir. I just checked, and other forums are not logging me off automatically today - like this one is.

HiVizMan
01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
None the less I have elevated the issue to the back end staff - Firefox is a major player in browser stakes and the forum needs to work perfectly with the new updated browser.

_
01-10-2012, 03:05 PM
We've not changed any settings on login time :S

I'll check with our developers to see if it's a vB bug.

chrsplmr
01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
...id look in ur rig Hweed too..
i have only seen this thread report this..
...some little checkbox somewhere maybe..
I stay logged in..auto..even cold boot.
Open browser to forum--yep--everytime.

your not logging on with that evga machine are ya???
..ok..thats not too funny...

and sorry, i respect myself to much not to call you sir.
..giving you the floor..and our attention.
...We'd vibra'Tate a lil too..if it was happening to us...c.

_
01-10-2012, 03:15 PM
EDIT: Just got told our dev's updated the cookie time out to a year. Should never everrr happen now :)

chrsplmr
01-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks M...ummm...while you got them on the phone.. can you please
have them Fix the Image Limit..and the deleting problem..
[[if you delete an image from a post--it hangs as a thumb--undeletAble]]

..if you can fit it in the other 69oo things ur do'n... any more ces hints ???
Asus gotz them scrambl'n in the Eeeeeee field...and those Ultras..i7..yum.
ZENbook..love that.....Live video @ Spike online ... look'n for the black & red.

Maybe post a limit--if there is to be one--ROG/limit..hahaha...yea, right..
But if there must for budget reasons--then..what is it to be?
Need to delete -- to GIVE...is like having to tear up 'Your' last years 'Christmas'
present to give you one This year........but.....budgetzzz......reasearch first.
Win on Sunday...Sell on Monday.

hWeed...all good ???

HalloweenWeed
01-10-2012, 11:16 PM
I just logged in using IE 9.0.8112 I will see if it does the same thing, if not I will try reverting back to FF 8 and tell you the results.

HalloweenWeed
01-11-2012, 02:10 AM
2.9 hrs later, no auto logoff in IE. Lookes like it is a FF 9 prob.

EDIT: OK I reinstalled FF 8.0.1. I will see if I am still logged in tomorrow morn.

HalloweenWeed
01-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Well I'm still logged in after 8 hrs W/Firefox 8.0.1. I have disabled updates, I will skip v9 until I read a changelog that says it fixed a prob that could cause this. Apparently my prob was caused by the upgrade to 9.0.1. FYI.

I apologize for being so gruff earlier. I really thought some network admin security führer-type decided you needed better security and decreased the log-in time, similar to the log-in time on the old neanderthal Asus forum. Anyway, I wonder if anyone else will be affected by this too.

Of three forums, this was the only forum I had probs W FF9.

DaemonCantor
01-11-2012, 02:01 PM
It's ok we all get miffed at times but we need people like you that know what their doing so us that don't can get help...Thank you for coming to the forums.

chrsplmr
01-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Well played weed..ALL...what gruff? all good bro... we ROG together.. or we work it
out til we can.... simple...

..now..did you see what that guy said in that post...about the..and he didnt
know how to.. and was this the right ram or something??? hahahahhaa...lets ROG.

Well...theres posts to answer..move along..nothing to see here...hahahhahaa
later.c.