PDA

View Full Version : New build. Sound has a subtle "crackle" noise. Logitech Z906 speakers.

Remidi
03-17-2017, 12:00 AM
I just put together a new rig using a Hero IX mobo. I was previously using a Hero VII Mobo with a Sound Blaster Z and there was no issue. Currently I am using onboard audio because I sold the SB card thinking this new onboard audio would be fine. It sounds the same but there is a subtle crackling I get with music when certain notes are hit. Anyone else have this same issue and/or know how to fix it?

Any suggestions on a Asus or Creative labs soundcard? Just in case the issue cant be fixed due to it just being onboard audio.

**It seems I need to buy a sound card anyway. After listening to some games and more music the quality and richness I had before just isnt there. Plus I really dislike unplugging and plugging my headset back in between using that and the surround sound. Time to start searching for another SBZ.

**Brutal...it seems the connections on the back of my subwoofer(Logitech Z906) have gone bad. Out of warranty as well. Time to buy another one :(

mcleod52
03-17-2017, 04:03 AM
I have not noticed anything weird. Have you upgraded the drivers and BIOS to the latest versions?

Stew

Nate152
03-17-2017, 04:08 AM
Hi Remidi

I get a little distortion if the bass is cranked up too high, try playing with the EQ in sonic studio 3 and see if it gets rid of the crackling.

I'm not sure if your crackling = my distortion.

schoolofmonkey
03-17-2017, 07:02 AM
That's exactly the same issue I'm having with my IX Hero.
Doesn't matter if I'm using the optical out or plugging my speakers in directly I get a slight crackle from time to time.
This translates through my optical DAC input's, it can be heard through that too.

I've tried everything to fix it and nothing has worked.

mtrxx
03-17-2017, 10:03 AM
That's exactly the same issue I'm having with my IX Hero.
Doesn't matter if I'm using the optical out or plugging my speakers in directly I get a slight crackle from time to time.
This translates through my optical DAC input's, it can be heard through that too.

I've tried everything to fix it and nothing has worked.

I donīt have ROG mb but my Z270-p has this crackling as well.
It seems to be more apparent at higher freq or sudden changes in volume contrast etc.
Also the ,, pop-ding" noise is still present when moving, by clicking on certain % on volume slider in windows (win 10 pro).

schoolofmonkey
03-17-2017, 12:04 PM
It seems to be more apparent at higher freq or sudden changes in volume contrast etc.
Also the ,, pop-ding" noise is still present when moving, by clicking on certain % on volume slider in windows (win 10 pro).

Funny thing is this doesn't happen on my X99 Strix/6900k machine, so I don't know what's causing it.
Might just get a cheap Sonar DGX card as I only use optical out to my DAC.

Remidi
03-17-2017, 03:07 PM
I have not noticed anything weird. Have you upgraded the drivers and BIOS to the latest versions?

Stew

Everything is fully updated. Hmmm...what to do. RMA and hope that there is no crackling next time or just buy a sound card...ugggggg....

Remidi
03-17-2017, 03:08 PM

I havent been able to test out games much due to a scratched cornea but it seems the crackling is only present with music and not gaming. Ill have to mess around more.

Remidi
03-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Hi Remidi

I get a little distortion if the bass is cranked up too high, try playing with the EQ in sonic studio 3 and see if it gets rid of the crackling.

I'm not sure if your crackling = my distortion.

I uninstalled sonic studio and I am only using the driver.

Remidi
03-17-2017, 03:38 PM
It seems I need to buy a sound card anyway. After listening to some games and more music the quality and richness I had before just isnt there. Plus I really dislike unplugging and plugging my headset back in between using that and the surround sound. Time to start searching for another SBZ.

mcleod52
03-17-2017, 10:23 PM
Keep us posted. You all have me looking to see if I have any crackling sounds. I even blasted things good yesterday and heard nothing, but when you're blowing up tanks and such there is just the big sub-woofer rumble :-)

Stew

Remidi
03-21-2017, 04:12 PM
Keep us posted. You all have me looking to see if I have any crackling sounds. I even blasted things good yesterday and heard nothing, but when you're blowing up tanks and such there is just the big sub-woofer rumble :-)

Stew

**Brutal...it seems the connections on the back of my subwoofer(Logitech Z906) have gone bad. Out of warranty as well. Time to buy another one :(

mcleod52
03-21-2017, 10:10 PM
Did you try new or different cables?

You should probably rule those out before you drop coin on new speakers.

Remidi
03-22-2017, 03:04 AM
Did you try new or different cables?

You should probably rule those out before you drop coin on new speakers.

Its definitely the subwoofer panel. I tried out a couple different cables. When I first looked at it a slight wiggle made the static louder. After a couple slight wiggles the jack wont play any sound at all unless the plug is only partially inserted. Something definitely broke inside. It sucks balls but what can ya do. I guess ill have some backup speakers.

Remidi
03-23-2017, 10:36 PM
Edited out info.

mcleod52
03-23-2017, 11:05 PM
you could always take it apart and solder back any loose connections :-)