PDA

View Full Version : G501vw users please enter

adrianfarros
03-20-2017, 12:40 AM
Hello i want to ask, is G501 VW series has same throttling issue like JW series. I am owner of G501 JW has problem with thermal throttling issue, i already change thermal paste (i use gelid gc extreme), clean dust and using external cooler (the logic there is no hole in bottom of case, i dont know it will help or not) but still my CPU temp keep easy to reach 82 C and gpu temp to 74-75C and causing gpu clock going so low make any game getting very lag. What i see there is different of bottom case between JW and VW series, thank you :) sorry for my bad english

THIS IS JW SERIES WITHOUT HOLE

THIS IS VW SERIES WITH SOME HOLE IN BOTTOM CASES

kaps26
03-30-2017, 12:43 PM
adrianfarros, hello! Have you tried to install the modified bios from Compwxr and Dreamonic?
This is the result of my attempt https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71205-G501JW-GPU-throttle-at-74-degree-celsius&p=641534#post641534
I think the holes in the back cover do not play a big role in cooling this model, since after completely removing the back cover, the temperature of the GPU and the CPU is still higher than the throttling temperature.

adrianfarros
04-02-2017, 04:31 AM
hello kaps26, i have roll back to stock vbios. before that i already install custom vbios from him, it doesn't make any sense to unlock limit temp of gpu, without decrease the voltage. For example the stock limit is 78C. if i increase limit to 88C, the temp still reaching 88C too very easy and than it throttled. i just worried about my hardware. I already deep clean my laptop from dust, repaste cpu and gpu, using external cooler (its confusing because it has no hole in bottom, lol). But, no good result. Even i already use your apps you give me before (Notebook Fan Control) very cool when easy task (browsing, office etc) but when playing game such Dota 2 and GTA 5 it doesnt help, my temp reach its limit very fast :(
my room temp about 24C