PDA

View Full Version : GTX 1080 Strix Overclock - too good to be true?

Agente Silva
03-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Althought OC is not new to me I never dig into it because I felt the margin gains were not worth the "risk". Thing is, as long as you keep inside that given interval (considering the OC playing margins are already capped by the manufacturer) the risk is pratically inexistente. So straight to my question:

For the last 2 days Ive been tweaking my Strix 1080 with GPU Tweak II (most recent version with proper clock numbers :)). In Watchdogs 2 so far, Ive managed to hit 2050 MHz without a slight problem - card stays at 60c, fan at 40%, voltage at 1050 mV, GPU usage 98-100% and power target between 98-106%.

By default, GPU Tweak II only allows a certain degree of increase in both core clock and memory clock but theres an option that removes that limit and allows you to go further as your tests permit. So I uncapped the frequency ceiling and added another 10 MHz (wich should be the incremental step I will use from now on, instead of 20). Anyway I do not intend to go over 2100 mHz and will probably stop at 2080 MHz and start tinckering with memory clock instead (Ive seen some pretty crazy OCs going from 10k to 11k on memory frequency).

Regarding memory tweaking, everywhere I read I see that memory clocks OC more than core clocks. Mine is yet at 10010 - Im somewhat reluctant about memory tweaking because usually coolers are more focused on the GPU chip than memory chips and there is no temperature reading from the memory chips so

My concern: can I trust those numbers from GPU Tweak II considering last two versions were misreporting clocks? The PC is actually quiet - my case is nicely ventilated with two exhausting fans on top and the air coming out isnt even warm.

What do you guys think? Should I trust GPU Tweak II numbers? Are these results inside the OC pattern others are getting? Should I push further on core clock or start pushing memory clocks and see what happens with temperature?

Sorry for long post.

Be well 

panzlock
03-20-2017, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure how accurate any readouts are. But to set your mind at ease I'm getting the very same temperature readings using GPUTII, MSI AB and HWinfo 64 for good measure. If it says 60, it's probably 60.

Agente Silva
03-20-2017, 04:23 PM
:) it actually helps knowing other tweaking softwares are giving the same temperature readings as GPU Tweak. Thnks for your input...

Adding to my original post, yesterday I saw someone on Youtube tweaking a MSI GTX1080 with TwinFroz cooling - while running GTA5 for 2 minutes hovering 2025/2000 MHz his card went to 74c and fan at 57%. My numbers are steady for 40/60 minutes and thats why I wanted to check with more experienced people on this matter :) (in case you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xqWmPViiI0 @ minute 30 :))