PDA

View Full Version : Maximus IX Hero won't cold start properly

Findolin
03-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Hey there,

i just finished my new build and i'm looking for some help with my Maximus IX Hero.
When i press the power button on the case after the system has been off for more than 30 minutes, it won't start properly.
I can hear the clicking sound (like a switch) from the board and the LEDs on VGA, RAM an CPU cooler will light up, but nothing more.
The board is showing the LED setting for the off state with Q-Code 00, the fans don't spin and i get no display on the monitor (like on the picture attached)
Holding down the power button will turn everything off, but trying to start again won't help.
If i turn the PSU off and back on (with the I/O switch on the back), it will boot up just fine after i pressed the power button.
Pressing the Clear CMOS button on the back will also help.
Once the system is up, everything works fine. A restart or turning the system on after it's been off for a couple minutes is no problem at all.
I suspected the RAM for this issue, so i tried to change some settings in the BIOS (XMP on or off, different clock, vCore, timings) but nothing helped.
It's not that easy to find a solution by myself if i have to wait 30 minutes after every attempt.

System facts:
Maximus IX Hero
Intel I7-7700K
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3600Mhz
GTX 1070 Strix
Samsung 960 Evo NVMe
NZXT Kraken X62

Thanks in advance, i appreciate every help.

mcleod52
03-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Unfortunately code 00 is not documented in the Hero manual. Some checking around the web does point to some people mentioning memory issues. Try just using one DIMM in slot A2. try a reboot and if still a problem swap the other DIMM into A2. Perhaps this will point to a bad DIMM. I have the same memory in my Hero (well I have the 3200) and having no issues.

I assume you've upgraded the BIOS to version 0801?

Stew

Findolin
03-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Hey stew,

thanks for your answer!
I tried to start the system with one DIMM in the A2 slot as you suggested, but it didn't help (neither after i swapped the DIMMs).
But i kept changing some settings in the BIOS and it looks like everything works when using the "Asus Optimized" setting in the EZ Mode.
The system is now running with 4,6Ghz CPU Clock and 2933Mhz RAM Clock. Not as fast as i wanted, but at least it will start properly (for now).
As soon as i raise the RAM clock to 3600Mhz the system starts to fail again.

mcleod52
03-21-2017, 05:38 PM
If you look at the QVL memory list, your RAM is not listed, but then neither is mine and I am having no problems. Perhaps others can jump in here if they are using 3600 RAM in the Hero.

You have not said whether you've upgraded the BIOS to 0801 yet. If not, give that a try.

Findolin
03-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Sorry, i forgot about that. BIOS is up to date (v. 0801)

NemesisChild
03-21-2017, 07:17 PM
What is the make & model of you PSU?

So after clearing the CMOS, it boots normally?

More than likely it's a memory issue, have you tried each stick individually in different slots and/or running memtest?

Findolin
03-21-2017, 09:34 PM
PSU is be quite! Straight Power 10-CM 700W.
Yes, after clearing the CMOS it boots normally. Same after swichting the PSU off and back on.
I tried each stick individually in the A2 slot, same result. Haven't tried out the other slots or Memtest so far, i will do that tomorrow.
Good night!

Chino
03-21-2017, 11:54 PM
Test your system at stock defaults. If the problem is still present, try reseating the CPU and while you're at it, you can inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins.

Klute_Onren
03-22-2017, 01:23 AM
Does this happen after fiddling with the BIOS? If you leave it on optimized defaults for an extended period does it still happen? I have basically the same system other than M.2

I would start at default's and see if the problem still exists, if it does without a doubt it is hardware related. If not it could possibly be hardware but less likely.

Bahz
03-22-2017, 01:52 AM
Try reseating your CPU and clearing CMOS after that. Do you have other memory available that you can test? It could definitely be memory related.

Findolin
03-22-2017, 09:38 AM
What is the make & model of you PSU?

So after clearing the CMOS, it boots normally?

More than likely it's a memory issue, have you tried each stick individually in different slots and/or running memtest?

I tried both RAM sticks in every slot or even no RAM installed at all. Nothing changed. The board powers up when pressing the power button, CPU cooler running, LEDs on VGA an RAM lighting up, but the LEDs on the board stay off and it won't boot. Case fans and LED strip stay off also. Using the start button on the board makes no difference. The small retry button on the board will restart the system ending in the same state. The safeboot and MemOK! buttons do nothing. Memtest passed with no Errors.

Findolin
03-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Test your system at stock defaults. If the problem is still present, try reseating the CPU and while you're at it, you can inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins.

I changed the system to stock settings this morning, i will try to boot when i get back from work. With the "Optimized Setting" from the EZ mode with CPU at 4600Mhz and the RAM at 2933Mhz everything seems to work.
When reseating the CPU i just take everything apart, take the CPU out of the socket, check for damages and put it back together?

Findolin
03-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Does this happen after fiddling with the BIOS? If you leave it on optimized defaults for an extended period does it still happen? I have basically the same system other than M.2

I would start at default's and see if the problem still exists, if it does without a doubt it is hardware related. If not it could possibly be hardware but less likely.

If i leave the BIOS on optimized settings, everything seems to work and i have no trouble booting the system. With this settings the RAM is running at 2933Mhz. As soon as i change the RAM clock settings in the BIOS above 2933Mhz the system fails to boot after being shut off for more than ~one hour.

Findolin
03-22-2017, 10:28 AM
Try reseating your CPU and clearing CMOS after that. Do you have other memory available that you can test? It could definitely be memory related.

Is it necessary to replace the thermal paste on the CPU after reseating it? I am using the pre-applied thermal paste from the Kraken X62 right now.
I just have an old G.Skill Ares 16GB DDR3-1600 Quad Kit from my other PC available. I don't know if that would help?

Bahz
03-23-2017, 04:28 AM
Is it necessary to replace the thermal paste on the CPU after reseating it? I am using the pre-applied thermal paste from the Kraken X62 right now.
I just have an old G.Skill Ares 16GB DDR3-1600 Quad Kit from my other PC available. I don't know if that would help?

No, because you really just need a very thin layer of thermal paste that's evenly spread across the CPU (usually only need a dab of thermal compound) for best thermal conductivity, putting too much thermal paste will only reduce the thermal conductivity.

Chino
03-23-2017, 05:03 PM
If i leave the BIOS on optimized settings, everything seems to work and i have no trouble booting the system. With this settings the RAM is running at 2933Mhz. As soon as i change the RAM clock settings in the BIOS above 2933Mhz the system fails to boot after being shut off for more than ~one hour.
Then your memory overclock isn't stable. Tweaking the IO and SA voltages can help achieve stability.

Findolin
03-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Then your memory overclock isn't stable. Tweaking the IO and SA voltages can help achieve stability.

But why is it running perfecly fine with 3600Mhz after i turned the PSU off and back on?

Silent Scone@ASUS
03-24-2017, 12:04 PM
But why is it running perfecly fine with 3600Mhz after i turned the PSU off and back on?

Depends entirely on the conditions leading up to this.

1) If you are receiving an overclocking failed message, the system will revert to optimised defaults, hence the system then posts back at default values.

2) If the system is not doing the above, it's due to instability due to memory training failure. The speeds you are trying to obtain can require manual adjustment of the rails mentioned by Chino.

Here are the recommended settings based on a number of samples taken from Edge Up Guide: http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/3/

Note the guide also has the recommendations for stress testing the memory also, I'd advise you to have a look and let us know if you still require any further help.