PDA

View Full Version : Will RMA take care of it?

Devastator04
01-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Hello,
I have ASUS G74SX laptop and have some "bugs" in it:
- screen flickering when backlight low
- some keys need to be pressed harder to work like 'delete' key (it is from i bought it)
- squeaking case i bottom right corner
And the worse:
It randomly totaly freezes so i have to hold power button for about 8sec to turn it off.

My question is: will RMA take care of this all or will Asus give me back my cash?
I especially would like to read from people who sent their units to RMA with beautiful ending.

And if they give cash back will it be 100% or do they like to cut some from it?

Purchased in August 2011.

Thanks for any reply,
regards, Devastator04

dstrakele
01-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Hi @Devastator,

Will RMA fix:

1) Screen Flickering at low brightness levels - probably not (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5536-Asus-G74-screen-flicker-(dark-backgrounds-and-low-brightness)

2) Some Keys need to be pressed harder - possibly - replacing the keyboard would do the trick

3) Squeaking case - bottom right corner - probably not (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?7541-Creaking-on-bottom-right-of-laptop)

4) Random System Lockup - this typically involves a driver conflict and may be possible to troubleshoot on this forum with additional information from you.

a) Is the system lockup a recent issue? If so, using Windows System Restore to restore your system to an earlier time before the lockups occurred may resolve it.

b) Are you running a clean Windows 7 installation or the ASUS Factory OS with Bloatware?

c) What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access software have you installed?

d) Give us some more information on exactly when the lockup occurs? In what applications or games are you working when it locks up? What actions are you performing when it locks up? Does it happen right at startup? How frequently does it occur?

e) Do Errors and Warnings in the System or Application Event Logs point in some troubleshooting direction?

My question is: will RMA take care of this all or will Asus give me back my cash?

It is very rare, but I think I've read where ASUS has given some customers cash back. Unfortunately, the refunds are always in Yap Island stone coin currency. (See http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/02/15/131934618/the-island-of-stone-money) As you can see (and is typical these days), ASUS does take their cut - the hole in the middle.

chrsplmr
01-10-2012, 01:43 AM
...haahaha...now thats funny..dstra....+excellent advice.

best of luck..devastator04 and Welcome to ROG.c.

n1ghtl1fe
01-10-2012, 04:08 AM
Hello,
I have ASUS G74SX laptop and have some "bugs" in it:
- screen flickering when backlight low
- some keys need to be pressed harder to work like 'delete' key (it is from i bought it)
- squeaking case i bottom right corner
And the worse:
It randomly totaly freezes so i have to hold power button for about 8sec to turn it off.

I especially would like to read from people who sent their units to RMA with beautiful ending.

Thanks for any reply,
regards, Devastator04

I never had the first issue but i did do a clean windows install and only installed certain drivers off the included cd.

Second is a fault in the keyboard itself, its built to take a gamers beating and i too have noticed some keys need to be pressed harder to register than others but in the short month i've had mine my fingers seem to have adapted.

Third, I started that creaking thread you were referred too. Apparently its an issue 90% of us must deal with due to the placement of the card reader. We know this thanks to BrodyBoy for taking his unit and giving us a detailed report!

Lastly, the freezing I would recommend a full windows wipe and very selectively install some of the asus drivers based on the many guides posted on these forums.

I really dont see RMA doing much for you, It will most likely just end up being a huge hassle for little in return. Try a clean windows install, that should take care of the software/driver related issues. If you cant live with the other minor physical defects you might want to put her on ebay and look elsewhere. Overall for the price asus delivered a solid machine in my opinion, I deal with laptop sales on a daily basis and can honestly say this is one of the best units ive worked with. No machine off an assembly line is perfect.

Good luck bro!

PILGRIM
01-10-2012, 04:54 AM
...I really dont see RMA doing much for you, It will most likely just end up being a huge hassle for little in return. Try a clean windows install, that should take care of the software/driver related issues. If you cant live with the other minor physical defects you might want to put her on ebay and look elsewhere. Overall for the price asus delivered a solid machine in my opinion, I deal with laptop sales on a daily basis and can honestly say this is one of the best units ive worked with. No machine off an assembly line is perfect.

+1 An advice well said.

@Devastator04: You might want to reassess your options, and do some tweaking of your unit first..
When nothing else works (and when you're now feeling that buyer's remorse) then selling it on ebay
or RMA should be the options remaining.

Devastator04
01-10-2012, 08:26 AM
My freezing problems:
- started when i unboxed the laptop
- noticed in the factory state on the hdd included and on sdd I added
- noticed after factory restore from hidden partition and after a clean install win 7 x64 with the newest drivers from this forum
It happens randomly, especially after returning from hibernation.

Any ideas?

dstrakele
01-10-2012, 06:41 PM
It's too late for you, @devastator, but I want to make the point for other users - if you purchase a laptop and it locks up right out of the box, the best action is to immediately return to the retailer and see if you can exchange it for a new unit. If you wish, you can attempt a factory restore or a clean windows installation. If the problem persists after that, it will support your case that it is defective.

In your case, I would recommend checking memory with memtest86, preferably one stick at a time.

Did you notice the lockups occurred after the factory restore or clean windows install BEFORE you installed any Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or any other software?

Lockups occurring on resume from hibernation typically result from applications that don't play nice with it. I am assuming from your reply that your system locked up without any applications installed (for the clean Windows install) except for the factory pre-installed apps (the ASUS factory install).

I would attempt to delete and replace the hiberfil.sys file, since you report system lockups on resume from hibernation (see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/i-want-to-delete-the-hiberfilsys-to-save-some-disk/ef41dcef-ed7a-447f-82da-e04c2b4dae11)

However, the odds of eliminating the lockup (in this case due to a corrupt hiberfil.sys file) are small, since you report lockups after a clean Windows install.

Turning hibernation back on with the powercfg -h on command will recreate the file on the next startup.

I would also attempt to use ThrottleStop as discussed in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8943-G73-Freezing-Crashing-Issue-WORKAROUND-FOUND Again, odds of success from this are small since I cannot recall any G74SX users reporting the problem.

Ultimately, you may need to RMA your system to ASUS for warranty repair to resolve your lockup issue.

Devastator04
03-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Ok, some time passed and what happened:

I send it to RMA and... THEY "IGNORED" all those issues and on the report i see only "TEST OK".

I have only one mem module (4GB) so I changed the slot it was in. Another full wipe, newest drivers, where I didn't install those witch were found by windows (sound for example).

And it stopped to freeze for 4 weeks and then it has frozen but now it still works fine... Don't know what to think about.

I took my chances and send it to Allegro.pl (polish alretnative for eBay :D ) if someone buy it then... goodbye! If not, then propably I will make a new thread about the hanging issue when I gather more information about it.

I will go for summer to USA! In June 15th I will start working in The Dorney Park. Maybe then I will buy something new... :)

dstrakele
04-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Sorry to hear your RMA was unsuccessful. Intermittent Lockups are difficult to troubleshoot and I suspect the ASUS techs can't spend much time on each system, making the odds of reproducing an intermittent issue small.

Did you use 3 passes of memtest86+ to check your single memory stick?