PDA

View Full Version : Sudden battery issue with G751JL-DS71

Scotchmelter
03-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Hello everyone,

So about two nights ago I plugged my ROG notebook into a cheap IKEA powerstrip, and it was only the next morning that I noticed the battery ceased to function properly. I followed the advice from others that experienced this similar issue by going into Device Manager and uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver, though that didn't seem to help. When I hover over my battery icon the taskbar, I sometimes get a "Plugged in not charging" and other times a "Plugged in, charging". Also, at times my battery light on front is sometimes a steady orange and other times it's blinking. My battery level has stayed at a constant 67%.

So I'm sure that I'll probably have to send this into ASUS, but my battery warranty is expired as of 8 months ago. Do any of you think it's possible that my battery is still in good shape, which in that case could possibly mean that the issue might be fixed under a separate part of the warranty?

Let me know if providing more info could possibly help diagnose my issue.

Thanks!

xeromist
03-23-2017, 07:41 PM
It's most likely the battery. If it was the power adapter you wouldn't be able to use it at all rather than intermittent issues. You can still contact ASUS support to find out if they will do the repair for a fee or you can also check with local PC repair shops to see if they would do a battery swap.

Scotchmelter
03-23-2017, 09:55 PM
It's most likely the battery. If it was the power adapter you wouldn't be able to use it at all rather than intermittent issues. You can still contact ASUS support to find out if they will do the repair for a fee or you can also check with local PC repair shops to see if they would do a battery swap.

Thanks for the response! One issue I'm also trying to figure out is that I'm now living in Germany, which of course has authorized service shops, but this wouldn't be covered under any warranty since I bought the laptop in the USA. Now since it's most likely my battery, this wouldn't be much of an issue either way...but I guess in the case that it would be covered in the USA, it won't be possible here.

I guess I'll just take it in when I have time. It's a shame, since I was just about to invest in a SSD. :(

Scotchmelter
03-23-2017, 10:05 PM
*Update*

So today, while streaming a video on Youtube, my laptop just up and turned off. There wasn't any possible disconnect from my AC adapter, so I was/still am really puzzled by it. I guess this might have been caused by a drop in voltage for a quick second or so, which the battery would have normally made unnoticeable. However, I was still a bit surprised by it. I guess I should be quick about resolving this issue before it causes a loss of unsaved data. I also noticed shortly after rebooting that my battery icon now displays 0% charge instead of the 67%.