PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-BBK8 screen issue

throwaway
01-10-2012, 03:42 AM
I recently picked up the G74SX-BBK8 but am contemplating returning it. I find the screen to have an extremely limited viewing angle and is also a bit was out color-wise. It is slightly apparent when browsing web sites or at the desktop. It is incredibly apparent when playing games. Anyone else have issues with the screen?

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 03:53 AM
I recently picked up the G74SX-BBK8 but am contemplating returning it. I find the screen to have an extremely limited viewing angle and is also a bit was out color-wise. It is slightly apparent when browsing web sites or at the desktop. It is incredibly apparent when playing games. Anyone else have issues with the screen?
Unfortunately, that's what the 1600x900 display panel is like on these models. If it really bothers you, you should probably return it, as there aren't any settings that can fix the viewing angle problems. You can adjust the color temperature, which ought to help the color a bit. But bottom line...Asus' 1600x900 displays are kind of crappy. :(

ColonelS
01-10-2012, 04:03 AM
Like what brodyboy suggested. Adjust the color settings. Or just use some free online calibration tool Free Calibration for display (http://displaycalibration.com/brightness_contrast.html)

This calls for ROG IPS panel notebook!

CapnKirk
01-10-2012, 10:47 AM
they are horrid

throwaway
01-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Wow. If this is normal I would advise anyone to buy a different laptop. Such a terrible viewing angle and bad, washed out colors. Too bad because everything else is good.

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Wow. If this is normal I would advise anyone to buy a different laptop. Such a terrible viewing angle and bad, washed out colors. Too bad because everything else is good.
On the other hand.....the Full HD displays are really great. I realize it's a price upgrade you may not like, but I'd return that BB model and order one of the Full HD models from Amazon.

throwaway
01-10-2012, 09:15 PM
On the other hand.....the Full HD displays are really great. I realize it's a price upgrade you may not like, but I'd return that BB model and order one of the Full HD models from Amazon.

The thing is, I don't have any problem with the 17" lacking full HD. The crispness and clarity of the picture is very nice on this BB model. It is the color and viewing angle only. Unfortunately there isn't exactly a way to figure out if a model has those problems without reading about them or looking at them yourself. When reading about this BB model before purchase I saw the repeated complaint of the screen being too reflective. It certainly is really reflective, but not "OMG I can't play with this screen" bad. I didn't see any complaints about what I'm not liking about the display.

I'll return it and search for something else equally as balanced between price and performance.

MrAgapiGC
01-10-2012, 09:26 PM
In my point of view, these BBK panel are ok. i have no complains for the moment. It is true, that these model, is too reflextive. But it is ok for me.

I am trying to look, if a HD panel can be intalled. Anyone as see these elseware? Since panel are not so expensive. I check a few for 150 USD dolars in ebay.

But for the money is ok for me, I will buy another one soon when i get to taiwan.

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
The thing is, I don't have any problem with the 17" lacking full HD. The crispness and clarity of the picture is very nice on this BB model. It is the color and viewing angle only.
I understand that. I recommend the Full HD panel not because I think you need Full HD....I use a 1600x900 panel on one of my laptops too, so I certainly respect that choice. Rather, I recommend it simply because the 1920x1080 panel isn't plagued by these problems you've described.

Ideally, it would be great if both panel offerings were equal quality, and shoppers could choose based on the resolution they prefer. But that's not the case.....the 1600x900 panel just happens to have weaknesses the other one doesn't. :(

BriGuy69
01-18-2012, 05:50 PM
I too have a BBK8 that I am VERY unhappy with due to the screen Issue that was described here. Angle of View... Looks washed out. I am wondering if the 1080 version is really that much better ? I am new to Gaming Laptops and Really think the Asus is the way to go for the money, but just can not stand looking at the screen on this thing for more then a Half hour. I am willing to Upgrade to the 1080 res screen ... but I need to know that it is going to solve the problem for me. Throwaway ... Did you try an Asus with the 1080 Res? Or does anyone have any other Suggestions?

BrodyBoy
01-18-2012, 07:49 PM
I too have a BBK8 that I am VERY unhappy with due to the screen Issue that was described here. Angle of View... Looks washed out. I am wondering if the 1080 version is really that much better ? I am new to Gaming Laptops and Really think the Asus is the way to go for the money, but just can not stand looking at the screen on this thing for more then a Half hour. I am willing to Upgrade to the 1080 res screen ... but I need to know that it is going to solve the problem for me. Throwaway ... Did you try an Asus with the 1080 Res? Or does anyone have any other Suggestions?

Yes, it really is that much better. Night and day. I can sit these two particular display panels side-by-side for comparison, and everything about the full HD panel completely blows away the other one.

throwaway
01-19-2012, 09:08 PM
I wasn't able to compare the two panels. After really looking at the issue I felt the biggest problem was black levels. Bright screens and videos/games with little shadows looked fine. Toss in dark parts of the screen and it looked bad. Item returned; problem solved. Waiting for a new option in the price range to compare

BriGuy69
01-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Just wanted to post an Update, and to Thank Brody for the Info.

I took the BBK8 i bought from Best Buy back, and bought a G74sx-NH71 form Newegg. Full HD ... and you were totally on the Mark Brody... HUGE difference. Night and day. Not to mention I got More Video ram ... and More Ram in general... for just a Little bit more money . I am Completely happy with my Asus now... would highly recommend it to anyone ... But get the full 1080 HD screen.