PDA

View Full Version : Asus Strix Z270i - Issues, Red CPU LED..

Malkan
03-26-2017, 06:32 PM
Hey,

So i built a new PC a few days ago and today when turning it off and moving it to a new desk, issues occured. (Rarely turn my pcs off). After having it moved to the new desk, i plugin all the cables and start the pc - Wont POST and CPU_LED is lightning solid red. Pressed reboot button, took 5-10 sec then it rebooted and started flawlessly into windows.

I can reproduce the issue 8/10 times (tested) by turning PC off, pull power-cord out and wait 3-5 min each time, then it most likely wont post and getting stuck with red cpu led. It did happen once when i tested just rebooting system a few times aswell. I have reseated CPU + Cooler, no joy. Cant spot any bent pins, looks fine to me. I have no OC, only XMP turned on (3000mhz Corsair) rest is stock + fast boot turned off. The PC works flawlessly in Windows, been running stress-tests (Realbench) for 2 hrs. Will run overnight aswell.. Works fine in games, been playing Wildlands all week without hiccups.

I tried to reproduce the error with XMP turned off = Bios completely stock. Only tried 3 times, it booted every time fine, i will try more times to reproduce the issue with XMP off. So far with what i have tested, it seems to be a issue with xmp/bios, any suggestions? Been using google most of the day and it seems to be the exact same issue that people HAD with Asus z87-a, been reading quite a few topics about that which match my issues very well.

Specs:
Asus Strix z270i-gaming @ latest bios 0607 - Same issue on both available bios.
Intel i7 7700k (Delidded with Rockit88 delid tool) - works fine, had to be done because of 85+ temps @ stock in games, 90+ Aida64.. Now around 65c.
16GB Corsair 3000mhz ddr4 - CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Asus GTX 1080Ti
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M2 + 2x 250GB 850EVO.
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Corsair H100i v2 cooler
Corsair Obsidian 250D

Hopefully someone have a answer :) Thanks!

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-27-2017, 06:03 AM
Pretty much the same thing here (no delid) , but same MOBO/CPU/MEM(Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 PC24000/3000MHz) NVME is also a samsung but 500gb, PSU is evga g3 750w and GPU is also Asus but 1060.

Alot of random bugs in bios (saving OC profile for example) was fixed with the latest bios (0607) but cold starting with or without ERP active remains broken!!

When i cold start; red led lights up and stays up. If i press reset it seems to trigger something and the computer eventually restarts and sometimes it will post as if nothing was wrong. Other times it needs to post bios in safemode after restarting 3 times..

Malkan
03-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Pretty much the same thing here (no delid) , but same MOBO/CPU/MEM(Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 PC24000/3000MHz) NVME is also a samsung but 500gb, PSU is evga g3 750w and GPU is also Asus but 1060.

Alot of random bugs in bios (saving OC profile for example) was fixed with the latest bios (0607) but cold starting with or without ERP active remains broken!!

When i cold start; red led lights up and stays up. If i press reset it seems to trigger something and the computer eventually restarts and sometimes it will post as if nothing was wrong. Other times it needs to post bios in safemode after restarting 3 times..

Yeah thats my exact issue!!! Bios safemode a few times aswell. I ordered a new cpu and memory today before i saw your reply, that was a *waste.. Happy that you posted, thank you! Sucks that we have issues though.

One thing i did after my post last night was to run Aida64 stress test. I ran cpu/fpu/cache for 8hrs without error but when i add System memory aswell i got hardware failure after 10 min, 2nd run it took 2 hrs for error.

Any chance you could try this aswell? With XMP only in Bios.
It seems to be an issue with our bios/xmp/memory*

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-27-2017, 10:47 AM
I registered on these forums just to reply to you, took awhile unfortunately before i was allowed to post, sorry :) I ran prime 95 (blend), for almost 2 hours and got no errors, ill try aida later today and see what happens. Ill report back!

Raja@ASUS
03-27-2017, 11:18 AM
If it's only happening when you're using XMP, it's likely due to memory instability which causes a POST failure. Culprits are usually SA and IO voltage. Outside that, some of the memory sub-timings can also need relaxing. Would advise you list the memory kit part number in the opening post, as well.

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-27-2017, 11:38 AM
For me it happens with or without XMP these mems is what im using which should be supported; CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Malkan
03-27-2017, 12:10 PM
I got the same memory kit CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, should not Corsairs memory be supported on a Asus board? Seeing how popular Corsair are.. Any suggestions about voltages and timings to try?

Edit; Just got home from work, before i left for work this morning i left Aida64 - System memory test ONLY running, it failed after 6 min.

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-27-2017, 02:10 PM
Our mem is listed in the QVL pdf: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/HelpDesk_QVL/ which should mean it was tested and supported. I ran AIDA64 with CPU/FPU/CACHE for 1 hour no errors displayed that i could see (do the errors show in a report of some kind?), i forgot to mention i ran memtest86 on Saturday for little more than an hour (3 passes) no errors.

Raja@ASUS
03-27-2017, 02:46 PM
I got the same memory kit CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, should not Corsairs memory be supported on a Asus board? Seeing how popular Corsair are.. Any suggestions about voltages and timings to try?

Edit; Just got home from work, before i left for work this morning i left Aida64 - System memory test ONLY running, it failed after 6 min.

XMP is overclocking, so it's not plug-and-play for all CPUs. You may need to tune SA and IO voltage. Would suggest reading the Kaby Lake overclocking guide here as it has some guidelines for voltage tuning:

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

Raja@ASUS
03-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Our mem is listed in the QVL pdf: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/HelpDesk_QVL/ which should mean it was tested and supported. I ran AIDA64 with CPU/FPU/CACHE for 1 hour no errors displayed that i could see (do the errors show in a report of some kind?), i forgot to mention i ran memtest86 on Saturday for little more than an hour (3 passes) no errors.

1) The QVL states the following: "Memory module with memory frequency higher than 2133 MHz and its corresponding timing or the loaded XMP Profile is not the JEDEC memory standard. The stability and compatibility of these memory modules depend on the CPU’s capabilities and other installed devices."

2) During POST, the memory is trained and tested. If memory doesn't have enough stability margin, it will fail that process. The fact it passes memory stress tests just implies that it's stable IF it POSTs. What it doesn't tell you is whether the training routines can guarantee the same margin every time. To help improve the stability margin for POST, SA and IO voltages need to be correctly tuned for your CPU, and you may need to relax the memory timings somewhat if your setup isn't stable with the ASUS XMP settings.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS
03-27-2017, 02:55 PM
For me it happens with or without XMP these mems is what im using which should be supported; CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

When you say without XMP, do you mean the board will not POST after AC power cycle if you've loaded optimized defaults?

Malkan
03-27-2017, 02:56 PM

Alright, now try running only System memory without CPU/FPU/CACHE, should produce error after a while. Yeah the test goes all red.

XMP is overclocking, so it's not plug-and-play for all CPUs. You may need to tune SA and IO voltage. Would suggest reading the Kaby Lake overclocking guide here as it has some guidelines for voltage tuning:

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

Ok, sounds strange that they should not work as is but i will try. When you say relax timings, is that putting them higher or lower as they are in the XMP? My SA and IO voltages are both higher on Auto then what they say in the Guide, you think by putting them at lower voltage, it could help?

Raja@ASUS
03-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Yeah, a lot of people fall into the trap of believing that XMP = plug-and-play, 100% of the time. It simply doesn't.

With SA and IO voltages, too much can induce instability, just as too little can. You'll have to tune slowy and see if it helps.

For the timings, to "relax" them, you need to increase them. Aside from Refresh Interval (tREFI), which is more aggressive as you increase it. You can try increasing the secondary timings by a few clocks each and seeing if it helps. If it doesn't, you'll need see if spacing the third timings helps.

An alternative is to enable the Fast BOOT settings lower down in the DRAM timing page, but I'd only use that as a last resort. When enabled, it bypasses the re-training processes and reloads previous values from NVRAM. The issue with that is you need to chance upon an initial training pass that has sufficient margin to cope with system variance. If the training isn't good to start with, it isn't going to help.

Malkan
03-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Yeah i can imagine that most people fall in that trap, myself included ^^

Testing 16-18-18 with 1.15v SA/IO, 40 min passed so far. Will try turning pc off completely and removing the power cord for a few mins and see if i can post without the CPU-LED turning red. Why does the motherboard light up the CPU LED for both of us when there is a RAM LED above it? Thats what got me thinking that my cpu was broken in the first place but it really seems to be a memory issue

While we got you here Raja, i got a white sticker on the backplate-screw of my 1080Ti which is from Asus, do i void my warranty by removing this sticker? I dont like having a white sticker in a all-black build

Edit: never mind

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-27-2017, 05:32 PM
I too fell in to that trap, thought XMP was a guaranteed setting. :)

But after fiddling around i finally found a setting that works for me, i also ran memtest86 for 1h22m with 31 tests all passed ASWELL as 'the boot post screen after a cold start error' i had, even with/without ERP enabled!

So currently i have XMP enabled BUT i tweaked the DRAM voltages from 1.3530v -> 1.3860v and that solved all my issues sofar!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Raja@ASUS! :)

edit: btw i tried running a Auto profile and selecting 3Ghz mem freq which had the mems running at 1.504v, thought that was a bit high :P

Malkan
03-28-2017, 02:46 AM
I turned XMP off, manually changed to 3000 mhz, set Dram volt to 1.35v and SA/IO Both at 1.25, 16-18 timings. 9 hrs stress test passed so far, will keep it running for another 12hrs to make sure. Hopefully cold start works now too..

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-28-2017, 06:03 AM
i spoke to soon, this morning it didnt want to play anymore.. Ill have to try more settings.. *sigh*

Silent Scone@ASUS
03-28-2017, 07:54 AM
edit: btw i tried running a Auto profile and selecting 3Ghz mem freq which had the mems running at 1.504v, thought that was a bit high :

i spoke to soon, this morning it didnt want to play anymore.. Ill have to try more settings.. *sigh*

The Extreme memory profiles from within the tweaker menu won't work with all kits. For 24/7 use with these profiles, remember that stability still needs to be tested from within the OS in the same manner you would with XMP settings (if you were implying you were trying these). These will have more aggressive timings, which is something you want to avoid at this stage.

Tweaking the memory voltage (VDIMM) from XMP shouldn't be needed, although it will help if the other aforementioned rails aren't dialed in well enough. Finding the SA/IO voltage that your CPU plays well with can take time - it really does vary from CPU to CPU, as is mentioned in Raja's guide. As is the fact that more can be equally as damning as less, so be sure to keep this in mind, too.

Stick with it :)

Malkan
03-28-2017, 12:15 PM

I think mine is fixed, seems to work fine now. Been running Aida64 System memory test (with CPU/FPU/Cache) for 19 hours + 10x Cold starts without problem.

Disable xmp, set to manual + DDR4 3000Mhz, 16-18 timings, 1.25v SA and IO, 1.35v DRAM. Hope it works for you aswell!

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-28-2017, 01:54 PM
I think mine is fixed, seems to work fine now. Been running Aida64 System memory test (with CPU/FPU/Cache) for 19 hours + 10x Cold starts without problem.

Disable xmp, set to manual + DDR4 3000Mhz, 16-18 timings, 1.25v SA and IO, 1.35v DRAM. Hope it works for you aswell!

Nice to hear! Lets hope this sticks and stays fixed, and for me! :)

A noob question; what exactly do you mean by 16-18 timings, the CAS latency? To try anything inside that range?

Malkan
03-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Nice to hear! Lets hope this sticks and stays fixed, and for me! :)

A noob question; what exactly do you mean by 16-18 timings, the CAS latency? To try anything inside that range?

16 on the first row in the Dram-timing section in bios and 18 on the 2nd row

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-28-2017, 02:37 PM
16 on the first row in the Dram-timing section in bios and 18 on the 2nd row

Ah, thanks! Ive tried coldstarting twice and sofar so good! Gonna run some stress tests and see where i end up! :cool:

Silent Scone@ASUS
03-28-2017, 02:46 PM
He likely means CL and tRCD. 3000 with a CAS latency of 18 is extremely lax

EDIT: Already responded, didn't see the third page ;)

Malkan
03-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Ah, thanks! Ive tried coldstarting twice and sofar so good! Gonna run some stress tests and see where i end up! :cool:

Perfect! Been running another 20hrs of HCI-Memtest, perfect stable for me. I even lowered the SA Voltage to 1.20 :)

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-30-2017, 10:37 AM
Perfect! Been running another 20hrs of HCI-Memtest, perfect stable for me. I even lowered the SA Voltage to 1.20 :)

Seems perfect for me too now, thanks to your settings! Just ran Aida for 5 hours no hickups! I did have to tweak them a little bit cause i got a random coldstart error but now all is well (knock on wood!!) :)

my current settings: dram voltage 1.3596v / both io and sa voltages at 1.23750v timings 16/18.

Thanks again!

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Am i imagining things or can "eco" mode on my evga psu have an effect on the coldstart errors? I thought all it did was like a silent option for its fan, but seems to me that it can have an impact on coldstarting and possibly other things?

Malkan
03-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Am i imagining things or can "eco" mode on my evga psu have an effect on the coldstart errors? I thought all it did was like a silent option for its fan, but seems to me that it can have an impact on coldstarting and possibly other things?

I highly doubt it since we both have different PSU's but had identical issues. Have others with the evga psu reported issues?

lt.tenso
03-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Same issue here... 7700k, same board, if i unpluged from the wall he didnt boot... Red cpu led... Psu seasonic 650 gold... Ram gskil trident z 2800 c15 (F4-2800C15D-16GTZB)
I think bios update needed to resolve this... Almost forget, in tests works fine even with oveclock ram 3000 and c15 timings. Aida64.

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-30-2017, 07:14 PM
I highly doubt it since we both have different PSU's but had identical issues. Have others with the evga psu reported issues?

Not that ive been able to find, im just grasping at straws trying to figure this out since its so random. Works perfectly, then no boot.. most of the time without any changes, just random.

Been scouring the net and seems that this bios (?) is a little flakey at the moment:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/15/asus_rog_strix_z270i_gaming_motherboard_review/7

All that aside, I had a pretty good experience with this motherboard. The only issues I had were with the system not wanting to POST at 5.0GHz or similar speeds from a cold boot. I could reset, or restart within Windows all day without issues. When the thing wouldn’t POST, I’d have to power cycle the thing a couple of times and let the watchdog feature kick in. All I’d have to do is go into the BIOS and hit "Save and Exit" to get the system running again. It’s a minor issue, but something I found annoying. This may be corrected easily with an update to the UEFI BIOS and I see no reason why that can’t or wouldn’t happen before too long.

Same issue here... 7700k, same board, if i unpluged from the wall he didnt boot... Red cpu led... Psu seasonic 650 gold... Ram gskil trident z 2800 c15 (F4-2800C15D-16GTZB)
I think bios update needed to resolve this... Almost forget, in tests works fine even with oveclock ram 3000 and c15 timings. Aida64.

Im betting all the errors we all have isnt really related to overclocking but just an early bios. We will see what happens in the future if im right or not

lt.tenso
03-30-2017, 08:21 PM
I'm just a litle sad right now... Investing in first grade hardware and one second bios had been out and the problem still happening... Hope asus cares about this issues... There is some way to informe asus about this?

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-31-2017, 08:02 AM
The pains of being early adopters! :(

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-31-2017, 09:50 AM
did some more digging and googling "asus z270 coldboot" or "asus coldboot bug" etc and you quickly find that we arent exactly snowflakes :)

Malkan
03-31-2017, 03:16 PM
did some more digging and googling "asus z270 coldboot" or "asus coldboot bug" etc and you quickly find that we arent exactly snowflakes :)

Didnt the memory settings work for you? No issues anymore for me, done probably 40 hrs of stress test and 30+ coldstarts but i guess your memory could need different voltages/timings then mine did.

kingkajsdhaskasda
03-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Didnt the memory settings work for you? No issues anymore for me, done probably 40 hrs of stress test and 30+ coldstarts but i guess your memory could need different voltages/timings then mine did.

All works perfect if i dont do coldstarts! If i do then no matter what settings yours/xmp/auto i get random boot fails, rarely with post error, just red light and i have to click reset wait a few seconds then it fires up like nothing ever happened. I have never gotten an error on memtest86/aida longest ive run those is 6 hours.

On another forum i got reports of other z270 users (atx probably) that had the same error but it got fixed with a bios update, so im hoping for an update soon.

Chino
03-31-2017, 10:53 PM
If your memory is overclocked and your system fails to post properly, then your memory overclock isn't stable. Also each CPU is unique so copying settings from another user is usually a hit or miss.

d0wnjumper
04-01-2017, 10:53 PM
same issue with trident z rgb 3200 mhz 14cl. before that mainboard i used the MSI Z270i with same components, and i didnt got any issues there, so its 99% asus fault.

No0B25
04-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Generally speaking I think the Z270i is a wonderful little board and the only feasible one for me, as I wanted an optical out which the comparable AsRock board doesn't have. The second M.2 slot is a really nice extra, but I'm not so sure about the temperatures given that even though the heatsink is "isolated" from the PCH heatsink, it still is held in by screws and lays on top of it, so there's still some heat transfer going on.

Anyway, I also have problems with POSTing with my Z270i on 0607 BIOS. Right now I have a 7700K at stock clocks, Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 and a Corsair RM650i PSU. No eGPU for now. I'd like to have the RAM run at DDR4-3000, but it correctly POSTs maybe 1/4th of the time. Changing voltages and timings within reasonable bounds unfortunately didn't help at all. In Windows and Memtest86 everything is perfectly stable. I had the AIDA64 memory stress test running for around 12 hours without any issues. Stressing the CPU is also stable and it can withstand 5GHz at 1.32v, so it's not a really bad sample I suppose.

As probably there are new BIOS versions being worked on right now, are there any known issues connected to what is happening to the others here and me that are being looked into (in the future)?

I.G.SYME@BTINTERNET.COM
04-04-2017, 06:37 AM
[QUOTE=No0B25;642118]Generally speaking I think the Z270i is a wonderful little board and the only feasible one for me, as I wanted an optical out which the comparable AsRock board doesn't have. The second M.2 slot is a really nice extra, but I'm not so sure about the temperatures given that even though the heatsink is "isolated" from the PCH heatsink, it still is held in by screws and lays on top of it, so there's still some heat transfer going on.

Anyway, I also have problems with POSTing with my Z270i on 0607 BIOS. Right now I have a 7700K at stock clocks, Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 and a Corsair RM650i PSU. No eGPU for now. I'd like to have the RAM run at DDR4-3000, but it correctly POSTs maybe 1/4th of the time. Changing voltages and timings within reasonable bounds unfortunately didn't help at all. In Windows and Memtest86 everything is perfectly stable. I had the AIDA64 memory stress test running for around 12 hours without any issues. Stressing the CPU is also stable and it can withstand 5GHz at 1.32v, so it's not a really bad sample I suppose.

As probably there are new BIOS versions being worked on right now, are there any known issues connected to what is happening to the others here and me that are being looked into (in the future)?[/QUOTE

Had exactly same problems and SCAN even tested motherboard and replaced it to no effect. Seems that we all should pay attention to QVL lists. I know that when I build another Z270i system in May for a friend I will most definitely only be using recommended RAM.

kingkajsdhaskasda
04-04-2017, 07:00 AM
Had exactly same problems and SCAN even tested motherboard and replaced it to no effect. Seems that we all should pay attention to QVL lists. I know that when I build another Z270i system in May for a friend I will most definitely only be using recommended RAM.

I AM using RAM in the QVL list.

I.G.SYME@BTINTERNET.COM
04-04-2017, 07:14 AM
I AM using RAM in the QVL list.

Hmm... I presume you have a QVL power supply as well? Have you removed battery connection and done a full BIOS reset? You can tell if this is a full BIOS reset if you have to reset the clock time as well. If so then I can offer no words of comfort. Perhaps relaxing ram timings may help. There is also a new BIOS to try. Supposedly for Intel Optane memory but if it is anything like the BIOS on my Z270G then be aware it may be buggy and make sure you have the older BIOS on a memory stick to enable "roll back". If you can live with never actually doing a cold boot then fine. Problem I had was that the system I built for a friend was being used in a living room using his TV as a viewing monitor and I was concerned that the blinking LED's would be a distraction while viewing the TV. He loves the light show so sigh of relief. Approx 75% of the time it will not do a cold boot but typically, when I went to install the system for him it booted up right away after being in the back of my car for 24hrs. GRRRRR. Enough to make you wonder about your sanity and caused me no end of grief and head scratching and searching on t'internet!!

Buellersdayoff
04-04-2017, 07:14 AM
There is a section in bios for boot voltages, manually set them to close what you set main voltage, eg dram 1.35, dram boot voltage 1.3/1.35. You can also do the same for cpu/cache, it might help cold boot

Malkan
04-05-2017, 02:30 PM
I really thought my issue was resolved with relaxed memory timings, sa/io voltages. Ran 40 hrs in total of memory testing and a lot of cold boots. But today the issue appeared once again with the CPU LED going Red and im unable to boot. I reset bios and disabeled XMP, still got cold boot error!!

Asus please, this is a issue with your motherboards and hopefully it can be resolved with a bios update!

There is a 35 page forum thread on Corsairs forums about this issue on both Z170/270 ASUS motherboards, the issue is clear as day that the issue is with Asus boards and not faulty memory modules. All the modules are in the QVL. Are we better off buying different brand motherboards in order to get our systems to work???

kingkajsdhaskasda
04-05-2017, 02:41 PM
I really thought my issue was resolved with relaxed memory timings, sa/io voltages. Ran 40 hrs in total of memory testing and a lot of cold boots. But today the issue appeared once again with the CPU LED going Red and im unable to boot. I reset bios and disabeled XMP, still got cold boot error!!

Asus please, this is a issue with your motherboards and hopefully it can be resolved with a bios update!

There is a 35 page forum thread on Corsairs forums about this issue on both Z170/270 ASUS motherboards, the issue is clear as day that the issue is with Asus boards and not faulty memory modules. All the modules are in the QVL. Are we better off buying different brand motherboards in order to get our systems to work???

:(

yeupppp its pretty sucky!!

As far as i can tell it isnt a new "feature" this bug has been around before on previous Asus motherboards! Luckily i haven't seen any reports yet that the bug never was fixed so im hoping that a bios update will come soon and fix this and possibly (i know im dreaming) 7700k temps being so high/jumpy :)

Malkan
04-11-2017, 06:07 AM
Any update on this issue yet Asus? Bios coming soon?

Lots of others having pretty much same issue on Asus boards; http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=149795

+ the people in this thread!

kingkajsdhaskasda
04-11-2017, 06:31 AM
No changes here, still the same random colboot bugs and i check asus bios page atleast once a day :(

but im curious, what happened to the previous guys post, he posted a bunch of bios (screenshots) settings he said worked, did he (as i did) realize it doesnt matter and removed his own post? :)

mumtazkhan525
04-11-2017, 06:38 AM
Good Thread good Information Thanku Admin

I.G.SYME@BTINTERNET.COM
04-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Hmm... I presume you have a QVL power supply as well? Have you removed battery connection and done a full BIOS reset? You can tell if this is a full BIOS reset if you have to reset the clock time as well. If so then I can offer no words of comfort. Perhaps relaxing ram timings may help. There is also a new BIOS to try. Supposedly for Intel Optane memory but if it is anything like the BIOS on my Z270G then be aware it may be buggy and make sure you have the older BIOS on a memory stick to enable "roll back". If you can live with never actually doing a cold boot then fine. Problem I had was that the system I built for a friend was being used in a living room using his TV as a viewing monitor and I was concerned that the blinking LED's would be a distraction while viewing the TV. He loves the light show so sigh of relief. Approx 75% of the time it will not do a cold boot but typically, when I went to install the system for him it booted up right away after being in the back of my car for 24hrs. GRRRRR. Enough to make you wonder about your sanity and caused me no end of grief and head scratching and searching on t'internet!!

Has anyone downloaded and used the latest 0607 BIOS for this board? Supposedly for Optane compatibility but I wonder if there is more than that buried in the code. I tried the latest Optane optimisation bios for my own Z270G machine and it was as flaky as hell. Any first adopters out there? I can't easily try this on the PC I built as it was built for a friends husband and currently resides in his living room some 20miles from me.......

kingkajsdhaskasda
04-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Has anyone downloaded and used the latest 0607 BIOS for this board? Supposedly for Optane compatibility but I wonder if there is more than that buried in the code. I tried the latest Optane optimisation bios for my own Z270G machine and it was as flaky as hell. Any first adopters out there? I can't easily try this on the PC I built as it was built for a friends husband and currently resides in his living room some 20miles from me.......

Im running it now! The coldboot bug is still there but there where minor bug fixes for example being able to save OC profiles which i couldn't before. Maybe there are others but i haven't noticed them.

I.G.SYME@BTINTERNET.COM
04-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Im running it now! The coldboot bug is still there but there where minor bug fixes for example being able to save OC profiles which i couldn't before. Maybe there are others but i haven't noticed them.
Thanks for that info. Will maybe wait for the next BIOS update as the machine I built is running stock speeds apart from the XMP profile for the ram.

No0B25
04-13-2017, 07:14 AM
Just had this happen again, but on 2400MHz 14-16-16-34 at 1.28v. The RAM is still Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 v.5.39, a 32GB 3000MHz kit. That kit is on the QVL list, just like my Corsair RM650i PSU.

I thought Kaby Lake officially supports 2400MHz, so it must be the early BIOS I suppose. I'm on 0607.

seawolf1
04-14-2017, 10:33 PM
please update the latest bios 0704,may solve your problem,I had the same problem before updating,good luck:)

No0B25
04-16-2017, 08:57 AM
I was looking in the Windows 64-bit section on the board's service page and didn't see when the update was released. For some reason only in that section it isn't showing up. Thanks for pointing out. For me it seems like it's finally fixed. During the next few days I'll see how it behaves, but coldbooting with the XMP profile enabled is working just fine right now! :)

Malkan
04-16-2017, 09:06 AM
The new bios made the coldboot bug even worse for me. Now it happens om EVERY restart/start. Going back to 0607. Even with my relaxed timings, i cant boot. Im so close to giving up and ordering gigabytes itx board, this is driving me mad :(

Edit: Ok, managed to reboot successfully a few times before it happend again. Still, my issue was "better" on 0607..

kingkajsdhaskasda
04-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Sofar so good! :) But we will see what happens in the next couple of days..

No0B25
04-16-2017, 10:14 AM
Now it happens om EVERY restart/start.

That was the case for me as well. Your mileage may and will vary, but I went to not using the XMP profile as is, but doing it manually. I got it working by giving the CPU voltage an 80mV plus, 1.379v for RAM (a little higher than specified) and had to actually decrease VCCIO to 0.9375v and System Agent to 1.025v. Having VCCIO and SA voltages where the overclocking guide tells them to be is unstable for me and would give me the red LED every time I'd turn the machine on.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the update brought a nice addition to the LED functionality with it. Now the Aura lighting turns off more quickly after the system shuts down and also when it goes to sleep.

kingkajsdhaskasda
04-16-2017, 02:34 PM
nope, 0704 doesnt work for me either! Random coldboot bug still.

btw, can any of you connect to the internet from bios?

I.G.SYME@BTINTERNET.COM
04-19-2017, 09:35 AM
nope, 0704 doesnt work for me either! Random coldboot bug still.

btw, can any of you connect to the internet from bios?

Nope. Didn't think it would work and so it proved to be the case. Sounds great in theory but..... Just download the cap file and use the tool function to install BIOS updates. Works fine and gets easier with every iteration of Asus motherboard. When I think back to how scary and difficult it was 15 to 20 yrs back it is the proverbial "piece of piss" nowadays!

kingkajsdhaskasda
04-20-2017, 05:35 AM
That was the case for me as well. Your mileage may and will vary, but I went to not using the XMP profile as is, but doing it manually. I got it working by giving the CPU voltage an 80mV plus, 1.379v for RAM (a little higher than specified) and had to actually decrease VCCIO to 0.9375v and System Agent to 1.025v. Having VCCIO and SA voltages where the overclocking guide tells them to be is unstable for me and would give me the red LED every time I'd turn the machine on.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the update brought a nice addition to the LED functionality with it. Now the Aura lighting turns off more quickly after the system shuts down and also when it goes to sleep.

Funny, ive tried a zillion settings but seems like (KNOCK ON MODDAF*CKKIN* WOOD :p ) that it works now, With most of your settings except cpu voltage which im running at 1.185v (stock freq).

Has been a couple of days of stable coldboots, sofar! :cool:

Nope. Didn't think it would work and so it proved to be the case. Sounds great in theory but..... Just download the cap file and use the tool function to install BIOS updates. Works fine and gets easier with every iteration of Asus motherboard. When I think back to how scary and difficult it was 15 to 20 yrs back it is the proverbial "piece of piss" nowadays!

Just annoying that an IMO basic feature like connecting to the internet is fawlty, when i have a old Asrock h87m-itx mobo for a htpc, and it connects to the internet every time flawlessly.

But as you said, using a usb is ok i suppose compared to the hassles of yesteryears :)

I.G.SYME@BTINTERNET.COM
04-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Not only is it easy to do with a USB stick but installing an earlier version of your current BIOS threw up no strange problems or wobbles. Something Asus have got right at least!

TheWizardMan
05-03-2017, 06:12 PM
I am having a very similar problem with my Maximus IX Formula.

I have 4 sticks of 8 GB Trident Z 3733 MHZ ram that was working fine on XMP settings until this weekend. This past weekend I upgraded my GPUs from 1080s to 1080tis and now my PC won't cold boot (the system won't post, but all the LEDs and Q-Code lights are on, receiving Q-Code 00) unless I turn off the PSU, let it sit for a few second and then turn everything back on. I can replicate all steps I described almost 100% of the time.

Things I've tried so far:

Booting with 1 stick of ram and alternating DIMMs;
Manually entering memory timing information; and
Enabling fast boot and disabling memory check.

The only thing that seems to resolve the issue that I have tried so far is turning off XMP and setting the memory to Auto settings so it runs at 2133 MHZ.

Note: I haven't played with the voltage at this stage, but will when I get home.

The reason I'm so confused is that up until I changed my GPUs everything was working fine. I don't understand why all of a sudden the ram can't run at XMP settings.

TheWizardMan
05-04-2017, 01:21 AM
I am having a very similar problem with my Maximus IX Formula.

I have 4 sticks of 8 GB Trident Z 3733 MHZ ram that was working fine on XMP settings until this weekend. This past weekend I upgraded my GPUs from 1080s to 1080tis and now my PC won't cold boot (the system won't post, but all the LEDs and Q-Code lights are on, receiving Q-Code 00) unless I turn off the PSU, let it sit for a few second and then turn everything back on. I can replicate all steps I described almost 100% of the time.

Things I've tried so far:

Booting with 1 stick of ram and alternating DIMMs;
Manually entering memory timing information; and
Enabling fast boot and disabling memory check.

The only thing that seems to resolve the issue that I have tried so far is turning off XMP and setting the memory to Auto settings so it runs at 2133 MHZ.

Note: I haven't played with the voltage at this stage, but will when I get home.

The reason I'm so confused is that up until I changed my GPUs everything was working fine. I don't understand why all of a sudden the ram can't run at XMP settings.

I can't get this working and I'm very frustrated. Especially since it worked until I upgraded my GPUs. I don't understand what's happening. The PC will turn on consistently at 2133 MHZ but that's it.

TheWizardMan
05-04-2017, 03:16 PM
In case anyone is having the same problem, I believe I was able to get the memory stable by using the settings here (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92870-3866Mhz-GSkill-F4-3866C18D-16GTZR-wrong-frequency) as guide. So far I'm stable with my DRAM voltage at 1.35 (recommended for this ram), CCIO Voltage at 1.20, Agent voltage at 1.20 and system set to Maximus Tweak Mode 1.

Farinasaur
05-27-2017, 02:30 AM
I'm facing the same problem when my brand new Strix GTX 1080 O8G is connected.

When VGA arrived, I did the installation and it worked perfectly. Tonight when I logged in my PC, a new driver update appeared and I did the update process. After restart, the PC doesn't post anymore.

The red led on my ASUS Strix Z270i gaming is solid red and the PC doesn't post. If I remove the VGA and use on-board video, everything works.

What the heck just happened? :( :( :(

Farinasaur
05-29-2017, 04:34 PM
Any idea about why I'm facing the red cpu QLED only when my GTX 1080 Strix is connected?

Probably memory issues as well?!

Buellersdayoff
05-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Any idea about why I'm facing the red cpu QLED only when my GTX 1080 Strix is connected?

Probably memory issues as well?!
Does this happen with defaults applied in the bios? Can you find primary display device in the bios and set it to peg instead of auto...just a thought

Farinasaur
05-29-2017, 07:48 PM
Does this happen with defaults applied in the bios? Can you find primary display device in the bios and set it to peg instead of auto...just a thought

Yes, it happens with defaults applied. And yes, I changed it from auto to IPEG and I'm not able to boot by onboard video if the VGA is connected. I don't know if the VGA is faulty since the CPU QLED is the one lit.

Buellersdayoff
05-29-2017, 08:18 PM
Possibly try the gpu in another system to rule it out

parseInt32
05-29-2017, 08:41 PM

This settings solved my usse with the red light. Ram model: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, Bios: 0704
I leaved the CPU Offset to auto instead of +80mV

Farinasaur
05-29-2017, 11:13 PM
Now, a different story:

1) Without the VGA, I got the CPU QLED lit. Shut down the PC, booted again, same error.

2) After removing 1 RAM stick, It went to the BIOS. Shut down the PC, inserted the second stick, went to the BIOS and got artifacts on onboard GPU.

3) Removed both RAM sticks, inserted the VGA, got the CPU QLED.

4) Removed the VGA, inserted the RAM back, got the RAM QLED for the first time.

5) Restarted the PC, it's running flawlessly right now.

So, is that the motherboard, RAM, CPU or VGA issue!? lol I need to RMA something, I just don't know what :(

Buellersdayoff
05-30-2017, 03:47 AM
Now, a different story:

1) Without the VGA, I got the CPU QLED lit. Shut down the PC, booted again, same error.

2) After removing 1 RAM stick, It went to the BIOS. Shut down the PC, inserted the second stick, went to the BIOS and got artifacts on onboard GPU.

3) Removed both RAM sticks, inserted the VGA, got the CPU QLED.

4) Removed the VGA, inserted the RAM back, got the RAM QLED for the first time.

5) Restarted the PC, it's running flawlessly right now.

So, is that the motherboard, RAM, CPU or VGA issue!? lol I need to RMA something, I just don't know what :(

If its up and running, see how it goes, run real bench for a while to give a full system load. Maybe just needed to re-seat some components.

Farinasaur
05-30-2017, 11:00 AM
If its up and running, see how it goes, run real bench for a while to give a full system load. Maybe just needed to re-seat some components.

Since still not working with a VGA, something stills wrong.

Buellersdayoff
05-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Can you get it going with 1 stick of ram + vga

Farinasaur
05-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Can you get it going with 1 stick of ram + vga

No.

1) Only without VGA

2) Most of the time with 2 RAM sticks

3) Sometimes only with 1 RAM stick

4) And rarely, no matter what, CPU QLED is lit and the system does not POST.

I can't assume the issue is on the CPU since when I'm on scenario 1, 2 and 3 I can do some benchmarks and play some games normally.

Buellersdayoff
05-30-2017, 01:55 PM
Without having other components to swap, maybe a local pc shop could help with that, I'd be looking to return or rma the motherboard first. If you could test the gpu in another system it would help

Farinasaur
05-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Without having other components to swap, maybe a local pc shop could help with that, I'd be looking to return or rma the motherboard first. If you could test the gpu in another system it would help

I'll test GPU and RAM on a friend PC tonight. When I arrive home, a new GPU (GT420) which I bought for test purposes will be there.

I hope it's the motherboard...

Farinasaur
05-30-2017, 10:34 PM

So I did the test on my friend's PC.

Tested the VGA and RAM into his Maximus VIII Hero and i7 6700k, everything worked perfectly.

Wasn't able to test the CPU because he uses watercooler with acrylic tubing and would be selfish from me to destroy his loop / coolant.

What do you guys think, motherboard issue or CPU?!

Buellersdayoff
05-30-2017, 10:44 PM
Cpu failure seems less common around the web but not out of the question, since you'll be taking the system apart re-seating the cpu and inspecting the socket for bent pins would be worth a shot. Also test the system out of the case...good news about the gpu at least ☺️

Farinasaur
05-30-2017, 11:40 PM
Cpu failure seems less common around the web but not out of the question, since you'll be taking the system apart re-seating the cpu and inspecting the socket for bent pins would be worth a shot. Also test the system out of the case...good news about the gpu at least ☺️

The system is already out of the case, over my bench.

After the VGA and RAM tests on my friends PC, I tried to turn it on again at home. Failed, if I connect the VGA I receive the CPU QLED error.

Right now I'm typing using the system without the VGA. There's no bent pins on the CPU.

I want to be sure the problem is on the MOBO so I won't waste my time waiting for the RMA :(

Is there any incompatibility between the hardware I'm using? lol :(

Buellersdayoff
05-31-2017, 07:22 PM
The incompatibility is software/firmware development and asus themselves lol
A cpu issue is less likely, it's probably the board or something screwed up in the bios, just look back through this thread

Legolas
06-01-2017, 06:08 PM
The CPU QLED only shows up when CPU is having issues or the motherboard. From my experience, the CPU is usually the cause of this issue. Simply, remove the CPU and test it on another motherboard. If there is a processor lying around, please test a good one to find out if the motherboard is working or not. I bet you will find the root cause by this testing method. :cool:

Farinasaur
06-02-2017, 01:39 PM
The CPU QLED only shows up when CPU is having issues or the motherboard. From my experience, the CPU is usually the cause of this issue. Simply, remove the CPU and test it on another motherboard. If there is a processor lying around, please test a good one to find out if the motherboard is working or not. I bet you will find the root cause by this testing method. :cool:

Or maybe the motherboard is faulty and unable to lit the correct led? Already sent it to RMA, let's wait for ASUS answer...

Grumpy OLD git
06-02-2017, 11:12 PM
HI.

+1 for the no boot issue with Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black

Run at stock setting and no problems. turn on xmp and the machine will boot until its switched off at the wall, then it will refuse to boot back up, until ram settings set to default.

KRiSX
06-05-2017, 06:51 AM
Just wanted to add my 2c to this thread... I just down/side-graded to this board from a Maximus VIII Gene where I was running my i7 6700K and GSkill 2800mhz DDR4 and GTX1080Ti with absolutely no issue...

There is obviously an issue with these boards if so many people are having the same/similar enough issues. I've discovered that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what my settings are, using XMP or not... As soon as power is removed from my system... RED LED on the board! If I don't remove power from the system completely, I can shut it down and start it up again no problem. To prove to myself it isn't a setting in the BIOS here is what I did...

* Reset Defaults
* Booted Windows
* Shut down
* Turned on
* Booted Windows
* Shut down
* Flicked power switch on PSU (same as pulling the plug)
* Turned on - RED LED TIME

I repeated this same process, but applying all the settings I want in the BIOS, including a mild 4.5ghz o/c and it did the exact same thing... now what I have to do to get back into Windows after getting the red LED is to simply hold the power button for 5-10 secs to force the system off... Then I just turn it back on, it'll complain about it not posting and force me into the BIOS with F1... I do that, go into bios and immediately exit without changing a damn thing and waddaya know... it boots into Windows...

System is 100% solid, I've been stress testing the hell out of this thing and it doesn't skip a beat... all until you remove power from the PSU...

Whats going on ASUS??? I was hoping a BIOS update would fix it, but I'm on the latest there is and no change... very unhappy :(

No0B25
06-05-2017, 08:42 PM
This settings solved my usse with the red light. Ram model: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, Bios: 0704
I leaved the CPU Offset to auto instead of +80mV

Yup. I eventually figured as well that it was just as stable without the overvolt. I actually undervolted vcore to about 1.17v at boost clock (was at 1.23v stock) and it still runs just fine. Didn't have a single issue with the system ever since, other than that annoying popup of the audio driver telling me the impedance of my headphones everytime I plug them in.

I was hoping a BIOS update would fix it, but I'm on the latest there is and no change... very unhappy :(

Only thing I can think of is check the System Agent and VCCIO voltages and tweak them to see if that changes anything. It's been the crux for some of the ones affected. You sound like someone who knows their way around things, but check the mounting pressure of your CPU cooler just in case. Caused me some seemingly totally unrelated problems in the past.
Could also be caused by what the PSU you're using does when its switch is flipped. Which PSU do you have?

KRiSX
06-06-2017, 01:53 AM
Could also be caused by what the PSU you're using does when its switch is flipped. Which PSU do you have?

Well I get the same result if I unplug the power cord from the PSU so it just seems to be removing power from the system causes the issue... I've had this PSU for years... it's a Silverstone 850w from memory, but I can't recall the exact model off the top of my head...

Brutaka
06-11-2017, 01:24 AM

I'm having issues like that on my IX Hero mobo. Sometimes when I start up my PC from a cold start, the screen won't show anything. But when I press the Reset button, the computer will boot up like nothing happened. It's something with the RAM on these new boards.

Buellersdayoff
06-11-2017, 06:36 AM
Disable fast boot in bios

quark54
06-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Yep, just built a system for my daughter, with Z270I Strix. Same issue, cold boot failure.

This is with the latest BIOS. Fast boot off makes no difference, optimised defaults makes no difference. Clearly a BIOS issue.

This has been going on for a while now according to this thread. So WHEN will Asus fix this?

After two or three attempts it boots, but very annoying.

Farinasaur
06-15-2017, 05:01 AM
Sent the Z270i to RMA, received a full refund.

Bought a Maximus IX Formula, guess what? RED CPU QLED WHEN VGA IS CONNECTED!!!!

Tested the VGA on another PC, worked flawlessly. Did the same with the RAM, no issues. PSU tester says everything is fine (EVGA G750 P2) so I'm going to buy a Celeron and test it again.\

I'm totally annoyed with this scenario. :mad: Maybe it's the CPU, it damaged the Z270i and probably damaged the Maximus IX as well....

drslevy
06-16-2017, 03:45 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZGMo9QQmRI&t=6s

Above is my build I've been working on. Like almost everyone else here with the strix z270i Gaming I was having issues with a consistent stable boot with XMP enabled. My exact issue was that after enabling XMP or using the Asus auto overclocking utility, once every 4 to 10 boots system would sit with the red CPU LED lit and no additional activity. To get the system to boot I would have to press the reset button and then after around 10 seconds, the system would reboot and I assume skip either the CPU or RAM speed POST tests and then boot without fail.

After initially building the frame and cutting the first set of side panels I decided to spend some time working on the stability issues. This is after living with the issue for around a month and then switching to standard settings ( no over clock and ram at 2400-I think, LOL ) for around 3 weeks and system was very stable. I researched issue and narrowed it down to the DRAM, VCCIO and system agent voltages. The RAM timings could play a part as well as i did ease up the timings just a bit and haven't reduced them in fear of instability again. it took me 2 days of adjusting and restarting ( restarted system at least 50 times over a 2 day period to test stability.) before finding voltages and timings that worked. Please note that this is unique to my system and the mileage might vary depending on the CPU & RAM used. See Pics included for the settings.

I'll try to answer any questions any of you might have and the full parts list is in the youtube video as well.

Farinasaur
06-17-2017, 12:51 AM
i7 7700K was the faulty. Swapped for a new one, working flawlessly. Time for RMA again haha :cool:

drslevy
08-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Heres my final stable build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCdYZ4Rfgd4

BalleFranz
08-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Just wanted to add my 2c to this thread... I just down/side-graded to this board from a Maximus VIII Gene where I was running my i7 6700K and GSkill 2800mhz DDR4 and GTX1080Ti with absolutely no issue...

There is obviously an issue with these boards if so many people are having the same/similar enough issues. I've discovered that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what my settings are, using XMP or not... As soon as power is removed from my system... RED LED on the board! If I don't remove power from the system completely, I can shut it down and start it up again no problem. To prove to myself it isn't a setting in the BIOS here is what I did...

* Reset Defaults
* Booted Windows
* Shut down
* Turned on
* Booted Windows
* Shut down
* Flicked power switch on PSU (same as pulling the plug)
* Turned on - RED LED TIME

I repeated this same process, but applying all the settings I want in the BIOS, including a mild 4.5ghz o/c and it did the exact same thing... now what I have to do to get back into Windows after getting the red LED is to simply hold the power button for 5-10 secs to force the system off... Then I just turn it back on, it'll complain about it not posting and force me into the BIOS with F1... I do that, go into bios and immediately exit without changing a damn thing and waddaya know... it boots into Windows...

System is 100% solid, I've been stress testing the hell out of this thing and it doesn't skip a beat... all until you remove power from the PSU...

Whats going on ASUS??? I was hoping a BIOS update would fix it, but I'm on the latest there is and no change... very unhappy :(

Yep, just built a system for my daughter, with Z270I Strix. Same issue, cold boot failure.

This is with the latest BIOS. Fast boot off makes no difference, optimised defaults makes no difference. Clearly a BIOS issue.

This has been going on for a while now according to this thread. So WHEN will Asus fix this?

After two or three attempts it boots, but very annoying.

I just got home from vacation. When I leave for several days I always unplug all my electrical appliances like my TV and computer.
I got this exact same issue then.
Tried powering on, nothing happening, nothing on the screen and red LED light.
I push the power button long enough for the PC to shut off.
Try turning it on again and I get forced into the BIOS. I don't change anything at all.
Reboot and it works no problem.

So yeah. There must be an issue with these boards.

pslate
10-31-2017, 02:56 PM
Are people still having this issue? I am and am wondering if a BIOS update or something has fixed it. If anyone has the Z370i, does that board have the same issue? Thanks.

kingkajsdhaskasda
11-10-2017, 06:03 PM
i had issues with z270i and things kept getting worse and worse. Got it replaced to a new z270i and finally its working properly (knock on wood etc etc)!

BalleFranz
12-14-2017, 10:54 AM
I just got home from vacation. When I leave for several days I always unplug all my electrical appliances like my TV and computer.
I got this exact same issue then.
Tried powering on, nothing happening, nothing on the screen and red LED light.
I push the power button long enough for the PC to shut off.
Try turning it on again and I get forced into the BIOS. I don't change anything at all.
Reboot and it works no problem.

So yeah. There must be an issue with these boards.

Came home after the power company had been switching out the power meter (all power was cut for some time as a part of the switch) and I had this same issue.

Turn on, red LED.
Force shutdown with holding the power button.
Automatically get thrown into the BIOS.
I exit without changing anything at all.
Boots to Windows no problem.

I'm using the BIOS that the board shipped with in February.