PDA

View Full Version : Maximus IX Code - A little insight and delidded 7700k

Pages : [1] 2

Nate152
03-29-2017, 05:18 AM
Hello ROG guru's and newcomers alike.

ASUS has entered a new "Code" into their line of ROG motherboards. No not a digital code but the Maximus IX Code, it's a new ROG motherboard that falls between the Maximus IX Hero and Maximus IX Formula and after looking over the specs, you see it's a Maximus IX Formula in disguise.

I could make columns and list the specs but instead, take a minute and click the links and compare the specs side by side.

Maximus IX Code - https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-CODE/specifications/

Maximus IX Formula - https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-FORMULA/specifications/

While the specs are similar I notice four things the Maximus IX Formula has over the Maximus IX Code and they are:

1) EK Crosschill block - This likely helped cut cost on the Code by a good chunk.

2) Backplate - Minus this likely helped cut cost.

3) Motherboard Lighting - It would've been nice to see the ROG logo lit up on the Code but again this likely helped cut cost too. The Maximus IX Code has some RGB lighting of its own on the I/O panel, start and reset buttons, the Republic of Gamers in the middle of the board and supports Aura sync.

4) Integrated I/O panel - Not too big of a big deal. I can snap one in, in less than 10 seconds but don't get me wrong the integrated I/O panel on the Formula is a nice new thing, it makes the board look more as one. Besides the Formula's I/O panel being integrated, the Code's is identical as you saw in the specs.

Straight out of the box what caught my eye are what looks to be brushed aluminum vrm heatsinks, they give the whole board a heavy duty appearance while having a luxurious high performance expression. In other words they look sharp, literally. The board is all black with gunmetal, silver and white on certain places, because of this your RGB lighting won't be over shadowed by other colors. It's very appealing and I like the look of the new Maximus IX Code.

The Code has armor like the Formula too.

You get a nice assortment of accessories:

1 - User Manual
1 - I/O shield
4 - Sata III cables (2 with 90 degree ends)
1 - M.2 Screw Package
1 - M.2 Bracket
1 - CPU Installation Tool
1 - Motherboard driver DVD
1 - ASUS 2T2R dual band WiFi antennas (Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant)
1 - SLI Bridge (2-WAY-M)
1 - Q-Connector
1 - RGB extension cable
10 - Cable Labels
1 - Sheet of ROG stickers
1 - ROG Coaster

Some new features of Maximus IX (z270) over Maximus VIII (z170) are:

Upgraded Audio with Sonic Studio 3
Upgraded Aura with sync technology - A new and improved version of Aura with more effects and can sync your compatible RGB gpu, keyboard and mouse with the motherboard.
3D printing support
24 PCIe lanes vs. 20 with z170 - A big plus with two M.2 x4 slots.
Intel Optane technology - Support for the ultra fast optane ssd's.
USB 3.1 header - Nice, now I need to upgrade my case.

There are some new bios features as well with the Maximus IX series, I haven't been over it extensively but a couple that stand out are:

AVX Offset - This allows you to configure your cpu to run at a lower clock with programs that use AVX instructions.
ASUS Thermal Control Tool - This could be one of the most exciting new features as it can extend cpu overclocking by up to 300MHz.
BCLK aware adaptive voltage - This works with the BCLK and its main goal is to achieve higher clock stability, it integrates UEFI enhanced voltage regulation based on the currently active BCLK value.

So without further ado let's get the Maximus IX Code installed in the case.

My specs:

Case - Thermaltake Armor+ VH6000
Mobo - ROG Maximus IX Code
CPU - i7-7700k
GPU - ROG Strix GTX 1070
Memory - Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB 3000MHz 15-15-15-35-2T
SSD - Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
HDD - W.D. Velociraptor 300GB
PSU - PCP&C Turbo Cool 1200w
Monitor - HP ZR30w
Windows 10 Home

Cooling is with the Swiftech Apogee GTZ cpu water block and Koolance ERM-2K3U liquid cooling unit. This is the fourth motherboard this cpu water block has been on and it's clean as a whistle inside, I credit this to Koolance coolant and Mayhems ultra clear plasticizer free tubing. I went with black chrome Monsoon chain gun fittings this time and I think they look good with the Maximus IX Code.

A few pics:

Now that you know my specs and cooling you're probably wondering, how well does the Maximus IX Code overclock the i7-7700k? Well being the enthusiasts we are I was wondering the same thing so let's give it a shot. I'm shooting for 5.0GHz which is the golden number with kabylake's i7-7700k. Raja wrote an in depth overclocking guide on kabylake, it's an excellent guide and I suggest reading it if you plan on overclocking.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

Following Raja's guide, the Maximus IX Code easily pushes the i7-7700k to 5.0GHz, Real Temp isn't reading the load correctly so I'll use HWinfo from here on.

CPU Temps at 5.0GHz playing Watchdogs 2, what's impressive is the motherboard temp at 29c. With an ambient room temp of 76F that's quite chilly, I'm only liquid cooling the cpu everything else is air cooled. To me this shows the quality of ASUS components and craftsmanship of who puts them together.

In a nutshell the new "Code" ASUS entered is basically a Maximus IX Formula minus some bling. You get Formula performance, bios and overclocking features at a lower cost.

I'll be adding some videos and screen shots and may do some more overclocking, the new Aura lighting will be fun to play with too. If anyone has any questions or comments please feel free to leave them, you're welcome to post pics and your overclocks too.

Klute_Onren
03-29-2017, 06:54 AM
Excellent! I vaguely assumed and was hoping that the Maximus line up follow the tradition of features for the dollar, but the nitty and gritty was the same. I still wish I had a mono-block however I'm happy with my Hero. I did little research when picking my new mobo, mostly went on Asus fanboy status and it was in the correct price range. I saw the formula and soon to be extreme however I couldn't afford it, buying a mobo then a cpu block was easier then both at the same time. All said I found the best z270 for overclocking I could afford and relied on my tried and true trust of Asus boards to carry over the rest. I'm curious of the difference between the code and hero. The code was out of my price range so I simply relied on the Asus brand holding up the entry level to it's highest enthusiast z270.

Arne Saknussemm
03-29-2017, 08:15 AM
Nice Nate! Looking good...

Nice setup with that cooling...

Easy 5.0 :cool:

Nate152
03-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Hey Thanks guys,

Klute_Onren - The Maximus IX Hero is a high end motherboard too and can overclock just as well as the Formula and Code, if you're an overclocker share your results please. :)

Arne - Here's a test run of one of your favorite games Mafia III, haha just kidding I know you're not too fond of it. It's not too bad, I think it's better than Mafia II. I like driving around in the different cars of that time and the races are kinda fun.

Mafia III uses 40%-60% of the cpu, then with HWinfo and MSI Afterburner recording and OSD the cpu sometimes hits 100% load. I was trying to record with OBS as it's alot lighter on the cpu but I could only get audio with a black screen.

Cooling is good but I somehow think I should be getting better temps, I was wanting to ask how yours and everyone's i7-7700k temps are and if mine look normal with 1.312v. The cpu temp in the OSD should be reading the package temp. I know recording and the OSD is putting a hefty load on the cpu but temps still seem high for 1.31v.

What do you think, do my temps seem high off the bat ? I didn't quite have enough of thermal grizzly kryonaut so I used coolermaster high performance thermal paste, I'm going to take a trip to performance pc's for some kryonaut and see if it will make a difference.

When the cpu hits 100% load it starts to flutter, it's just in the recording the game played fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M49FZDYsGys&t=463s

Nate152
03-31-2017, 08:07 PM
Before and after, does anyone think it will make a difference?

Stay tuned. :)

Nate152
03-31-2017, 10:18 PM
So I applied the kryonaut and ran Realbench, over all temps are lower and I let the benchmark run to completion.

But..... Core 2 has the highest maximum temp in Real Temp above at 75c with the Coolermaster paste. I was wondering if maybe I didn't get it quite right so was another reason to try the kryonaut. And..... after running the test core 2 has a max temp of 74c while core 3 is running the coolest as it shows in Real Temp too.

So because of core 2 running warmer and core 3 running the coolest, 11c difference on maximum temp, I'm wondering if temps would be closer if I delidded, this would be another reason to do it.

Yay or Nay to delid ? I know it voids the warranty.

chevell65
03-31-2017, 10:37 PM
Those temps are pretty good for 5GHz if you ask me. Not close to thermal throttling there.

Nate152
03-31-2017, 10:49 PM
Hi chevelle65

Thanks man ! :)

Yeah I can see temps in the 60's, I'm at 1.312v for 5.0GHz which is very good but that core 2 is always running the warmest, I bet it was reading core 2 as the package temp in the video above.

So what do you think, have you ever delidded a cpu ? I think it might be worthwhile for me, I been eyein' up the Rockit 88 tool.

I never did it before but with this tool it's a safe way to do it, I'd like to hear some success stories.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/119374257/rockit-88-intel-cpu-delid-tool

CODE MAXIMUS
04-01-2017, 12:02 AM
Nice info and rig Nate152. Don't forget it also has heatplates on the mosFETs to works as heatsinks on the back of the board. This was a new feature for me upgrading from Sabertooth line. That and a standalone 2T2R MIMO wifi antenna alone is at least $100 US bones so this verse the HERO was no question the better deal as I only paid $280 US for mine. Board is killer.

Nate152
04-01-2017, 12:12 AM
Hey CODE MAXIMUS !

Yeah it's a sweet board, I'm working on cpu temps as you can see. I posted in your ram thread about recording with shadowplay, does it have its own built in OSD ?

Your temps were great and your cpu usage wasn't maxing out.

CODE MAXIMUS
04-01-2017, 12:34 AM
Hey CODE MAXIMUS !

Yeah it's a sweet board, I'm working on cpu temps as you can see. I posted in your ram thread about recording with shadowplay, does it have its own built in OSD ?

Your temps were great and your cpu usage wasn't maxing out.

No HT has alot to do with that, my response for shadowplay should have been posted.

Nate152
04-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Well now you give me something to test, I'll run the test with Hyperthreading off and see if there is any difference with core 2.

I'll double check ASUS Multicore Enhancement is disabled as well.

I'll do this then come back and check your post and run the test.

CODE MAXIMUS
04-01-2017, 12:52 AM
I want a 1080ti : ) ROG Strix : ) or should I wait on Vega, I have a feeling Vega is going to be good. Sounds good Nate152.

BTW: did you see the post from eTeknix on DDR5 yesterday?

Nate152
04-01-2017, 01:12 AM
No I sure didn't,

Here is the Realbench benchmark and with HT off, Multicore Enhancemant was disabled. Temps are alot lower, in fact core 2 is 15c lower for the maximum temp but it's still showing it's running the warmest.

mikeymontz
04-01-2017, 01:43 AM
does your front panel headphone out work?? mine did for 2 days then it stopped and now it just buzzes

Arne Saknussemm
04-01-2017, 06:38 AM
Yay or Nay to delid ?

Hard one to call...I had the same dilemma and concluded I wouldn't do it just to get temps into line....should be Intel who solders overclocking CPUs!

Those temps are OK for 5GHz stress testing anyway

CODE MAXIMUS
04-01-2017, 07:29 AM
Your temps are super low Nate152.

Nate152
04-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Yeah I agree Arne, if Intel used solder we'd all have more consistent and better temps.

Since mine are much better with HT off I jumped up to 5.2GHz and temps still look pretty good.

Do I see 5.3GHz ? :)

What happened to my Motherboard temp and GPU Power, they have a red x beside them.

Nate152
04-01-2017, 11:40 AM
does your front panel headphone out work?? mine did for 2 days then it stopped and now it just buzzes

I have the HD audio connected to the jacks on my case, I haven't tested it but i'm sure it works.

I use the motherboard jacks as it has better sound.

Menthol
04-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Hard one to call...I had the same dilemma and concluded I wouldn't do it just to get temps into line....should be Intel who solders overclocking CPUs!

Those temps are OK for 5GHz stress testing anyway

A properly done delid can drop temps by up to 20 degrees or more on a KL, gaming at 5.0 or 5.2 doesn't gain you many FPS, but lower fan speeds on a heatsink or radiator equals a much more pleasant environment for pc use. I don't use headphones myself

Nate152
04-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Hey Menthol !

I remember you put up some great numbers with your Apex board, weren't you almost at 5.4GHz?

I'm pretty sure your cpu was delidded, do you have any tips or pointers on delidding ?

CODE MAXIMUS
04-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Nate152, Why did your system score go down on a higher overclock?

Nate152
04-01-2017, 07:42 PM
I may not have had GPU Tweak II running, I don't know if Realbench counts gpu overclocks but this is what I'm guessing lowered my score.

After seeing your temps at 1.38v I'm feeling a little better now.

I'm still looking at the Rockit 88 delid tool. :)

Nate152
04-01-2017, 10:43 PM
This here looks good.

With HT off 5.2GHz is stable with 1.392v, the cpu is all but maxed out and I doubt I have room for recording.

I don't like the load the OSD is putting on the cpu but temps are great.

Nate152
04-02-2017, 01:37 AM
The above screenshot could be a little misleading with the cpu temp, here's a more realistic screenshot.

CODE MAXIMUS
04-02-2017, 03:39 AM
Looks like your liking that 5.2 OC Nate, with Intel tested through and through you know you can't go wrong. Once optimizations and more BIOS microcodes hit AMD it will be more peace-of-mind, untill then you can't go wrong with Z270.

Here's what I've been working on today, testing NVMe sequential and random speeds with stock cpu and memory speeds vs cpu and memory overclocked. No ram caching. Just retired my SATA SSD. Picture on left is everything bone stock, right is 5.1OC / 3733MHz. Of course NVMe drive running in Gen3 X 4 on both. Drive gets a bit warm 54C. Figured I'd go ahead and jump on the NVMe wagon.63653

Nate152
04-02-2017, 04:04 AM
Yes 5.2GHz is nice but I'll do a little better once I delid it, I'm going to get that Rockit 88 tool in a week or two or hopefully sooner.

Wow, overclocking gave you a big boost in random read and write scores. The pcie x4 NVMe drives do run warm but your temp looks good, nothing to worry about there.

CODE MAXIMUS
04-02-2017, 04:42 AM
Yes 5.2GHz is nice but I'll do a little better once I delid it, I'm going to get that Rockit 88 tool in a week or two or hopefully sooner.

Wow, overclocking gave you a big boost in random read and write scores. The pcie x4 NVMe drives do run warm but your temp looks good, nothing to worry about there.

Awesome, I need to get one, I thought Rockit 88 shutdown but I'm sure there's others. Your temps look great gaming with 5.2. As far as the temps on the MLC yea I'm not too worried about it, I do have some stick on heatsinks I may play around with later. Ok, I just updated the NVMe storage controller with Toshiba's so later I will post another benchmark to see if that's better verse Microsoft's, wife is nagging me to go get ice cream so I will bbol. System looks good Natte152, ttyl.

Nate152
04-02-2017, 04:46 AM
Thank you CODE MAXIMUS enjoy your ice cream. :)

CODE MAXIMUS
04-02-2017, 05:20 AM
Alright I'm back, settled for a iced frappe, anywho looks as if Toshiba's controller is definately better than stock WIN 10's, picked up more random 4K IOPs. Comparison again, both pictures OC 5.1 / 3733MHz but left is Microsoft's NVMe controller and right pic is Toshiba's controller. Now storage is out of the way and done back to CPU's :D

Arne Saknussemm
04-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Arne - Here's a test run of one of your favorite games Mafia III

LOL :D definitely going to watch that one...

Menthol
04-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Hey Menthol !

I remember you put up some great numbers with your Apex board, weren't you almost at 5.4GHz?

I'm pretty sure your cpu was delidded, do you have any tips or pointers on delidding ?

Nate,
Yes 5.3 to 5.4 using an AIO, 5.5 with water chiller, watch the instruction video for the Rocket, use the tape as it allows you to spread the LM thin and evenly then remove the excess by removing the tape, a very small amount of black silicon sealant (not the super glue as in the video although I did use super glue on one without issue) and re-lid per instructions and let it set for about 5 hours before removing from tool to allow the sealant to cure, if you use superglue it can be removed in 5 or 10 minutes but doesn't look as if from factory

Nate152
04-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Thanks alot Menthol,

I been watching some videos and the only hard part looks to be cleaning it and applying the liquid metal, i think I'll use thermal grizzly conductonaut as that's what Raja used in his kabylake overclocking guide.

I was just getting ready to look what kind of sealant to get for relidding. One important thing I've seen in some videos is they leave a little gap in the sealant for pressure to escape.

What would you recommend for relidding something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Dynatex-49280-Industrial-Temperature-Cartridge/dp/B003VW5QYY/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1491151181&sr=1-4&keywords=rubber+silicone+sealant

or black

https://www.amazon.com/Dynatex-49297-Industrial-Temperature-Cartridge/dp/B009XE7TOY/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1491152043&sr=1-2&keywords=dynatex+industrial+grade+RTV+silicone+sea lant+black

Menthol
04-02-2017, 05:56 PM
I guess I misspoke as I used an adhesive/sealant https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ID8F8E4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes a little air gap is needed as air will expand with heat and has some moisture in it
if I was using a standard type TIM I wouldn't glue the lid, just carefully install CPU, TIM and lid and clamp, then if you decide to use LM later you don't have to delid again

Nate152
04-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Cool thanks,

I see they have a high heat resistant one too, would this be better to get ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LIRGB84/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Nate152
04-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Since temps looked great at 5.2GHz, I figured why not try for 5.3GHz.

I added another .01v and passed the Realbench stress test but got 1 cpu error, temps are much more consistent today.

This is still with Hyperthreading off - 5.3GHz with 1.424v.

Nate152
04-03-2017, 12:49 AM
Mafia III at 5.3GHz - HT Off

Nate152
04-04-2017, 07:37 AM
I wanted to record watchdogs 2 at 5.3GHz but Uplay wouldn't open because it's not fully stable so I backed it down to 5.2GHz again for now, temps are pretty good with 1.408v.

Max settings, no AA, 1920 x 1440 resolution, Hyperthreading is off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5vKVMEvMtE&feature=youtu.be

Nate152
04-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Shadowplay is my new recording program.

Mafia III 5.3GHz - HT Off - Temps are getting into the 70's and I'm not going to push it any more for now but overall temps I think are good, remember the OSD and recording uses the cpu and maxes it sometimes to 100% which raises temps.

What do you guys think? How's your temps ?

The pausing only happens when the cpu is at 100% load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm-gFcdyLRo&feature=youtu.be

CODE MAXIMUS
04-08-2017, 05:15 AM
Looks like that chip is golden taken 1.44, I am about to see if I can pass realbench 2.54 with 5.2 @ 1.44v. Did you delid?

Ok here's my temps with Overwatch. I'm polling CPU Package from HWINFO as "Average" in RTSS. Right before I start the game I reset min / max values in HWINFO then recorded the game for about 25mins. Every other value is "Current" except CPU Temp Max as it is being polled as "Maximum".

Settings for my 7600K are Sync all cores at 52 / Adaptive voltage at 1.408 / LLC 5 / AVX offset 0 plus some other settings but those are the main ones. Memory is at 3733MHz using the 3733MHz memory OC profile.

Video was recorded with the new game bar included in windows creator update; 60fps / quality set to high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCACneKY8_g&feature=youtu.be

Nate152
04-08-2017, 05:25 AM
Yeah that looks great at 5.1GHz and your temps are good too.

I have not delidded my cpu yet but I'm going to soon. :)

How about you are you contemplating delidding yours?

CODE MAXIMUS
04-08-2017, 05:48 AM
I believe I am going to pull the trigger Nate. I mean **** if I'm averaging 55C while gaming and I can at least get -15C from the delid+LM process that's pretty damn cool. Plus I have a few ideas I want to do with the delid process. Tonight I'm going to order one and some LM. This chip can run 5.1 all day long on water so might as well make it the best for it.

Nate152
04-08-2017, 06:17 AM
For liquid metal, the thermal grizzly conductonaut is probably the best with 73 W/mk.

I'd like to see your results.

Silent Scone@ASUS
04-08-2017, 06:48 AM
Why have you disabled HT?

Nate152
04-08-2017, 07:00 AM
Because with HT disabled it lowered temps quite a bit, I was just doing it for testing to see how far I could get. I know we don't go out and buy an i7 cpu to disable hyperthreading, I have since re-enabled it. :)

So for me as of now I can do 5.2GHz with HT on and 5.3GHz with HT off, pretty good so far and I'm quite happy with that. The sad thing is I can't boot with 5.3GHz with HT on even with 1.52v. I'm hoping delidding gets me to 5.4GHz with HT on, I'd be thrilled with that.

CODE MAXIMUS
04-08-2017, 10:16 PM
:cool:

Well Nate, looks like my chip can do 5.2GHz with 3808MHz memory (no offset for AVX multiplier). First overclock to 5.2GHz I got clock watchdog timeout BSOD but I was at 3880MHz memory and 1.408V in BIOS so I backed down the baseclock to 102 from 104 and bumped up the voltage .016v to 1.424v and so far everything is golden. I prolly should have tested one verse the other but I felt that memory was too high and the cpu voltage was too low. I may play with the memory some more later. So far I've passed 30 mins of AIDA stress testing, not sure if it 100% stable but I'm getting no errors. Here's another video of gaming, went a little bit longer this time to make sure averaging temps plateaued. Average temps 58C. Would you suggest delidding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4f-2Se67zw&t=86s

Nate152
04-08-2017, 10:37 PM
That's awesome !

You may have just needed a little more Vcore for stability, I'd call it good there.

I never delidded a cpu but from researching it people are reporting anywhere from 10c - 30c decrease in temps. Along with the temp decrease your cpu will need less voltage for the same speed so it's a win win.

Your max core temp at 76c is a bit high and delidding would lower temps and may get you another 100MHz - 200MHz overclock. If you do decide to delid make sure you get the relidding kit which is only $8.00 more.

It'll be like a week and a half until I get the Rockit 88 tool.

CODE MAXIMUS
04-08-2017, 11:04 PM
Appreciate the info. The Core Max Temp though is not a sustained value like the average core temps but temperature is temperature no matter which way you look at it. Being that 1.5v and/or 100C is absolute dead zone I'm now undecided on whether or not to delid, I've never done it before either and I do hear the good results but is it really worth it for up to 5.2Ghz on custom water? It's not the delidding part I am worried about, it's the spreading the evenness of the liquid metal and does it stay put "down the road" or does it run over and short-circuit. I like how it never has to be changed though. IDK what to do Nate. When ***t isn't broke I don't like to fix it.

Nate152
04-08-2017, 11:51 PM
yeah I understand, you have a great overclock as it is. The question is do you want to do it for lower temps and possibly a higher overclock, if you do you just went from being an enthusiast to an extremist. :)

I was watching a bunch of videos and some put scotch tape around the die to keep the liquid metal from getting everywhere which seems like a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzQWvvOTWy8

Nate152
04-09-2017, 06:03 PM
What do you guys think of the new Aura with sync technology ? I think it's cool, the only thing I have to sync with the motherboard is the ROG Strix 1070 and it works well. You can change the I/O panel, center Republic of Gamers and VGA to any color or all one color.

Here is a small clip with the Comet effect red, blue and green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzxHjmppvcQ&feature=youtu.be

Nate152
04-10-2017, 05:00 AM
Here's another video of Mafia III, cpu at 5.2GHz with HT on and it will stay on from here on out.

Does anyone recognize this sound at about 43 seconds in? It sounds like a notification of some kind but I don't see any anywhere, I get it a good bit and I have no idea what it is and it is bugging me. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urscwBD-Goo&t=752s

JustinThyme
04-10-2017, 05:22 AM
What kind of temps do you get with 100% CPU load for say 15 mins with something like AIDA Stability test?

Nate152
04-10-2017, 05:34 AM
I downloaded Aida64 and ran the stability test, temps hit 90c so I stopped it.

Silent Scone@ASUS
04-10-2017, 06:28 AM
I downloaded Aida64 and ran the stability test, temps hit 90c so I stopped it.

Sounds like you had FPU ticked when running the test.

Nate152
04-10-2017, 06:34 AM
It's quite possible, I'm not too familiar with that program so I uninstalled it. I did run Realbench and got a BSOD but I'm not too concerned, as long as it can play my games I'm happy.

Would you happen to know what that sound is at 43 seconds into the video ?

Silent Scone@ASUS
04-10-2017, 07:48 AM
It's quite possible, I'm not too familiar with that program so I uninstalled it. I did run Realbench and got a BSOD but I'm not too concerned, as long as it can play my games I'm happy.

Would you happen to know what that sound is at 43 seconds into the video ?

On a gaming system I would recommend 1-2 hours of Realbench, at least. Any instability thereafter can be dialed out incrementally. The noise in the video is the W10 sound for device disconnection.

Nate152
04-11-2017, 04:04 AM
Thanks Silent Scone

I was playing Mafia III some more today and it was doing it again, so I was thinking since I can't pass the Realbench stress test it could be instability or corrupted windows. I dropped down to 5.0GHz and passed the Realbench stress test, fired up Mafia III again and it's still doing it. Device manager all shows ok and nothing is acting like it's disconnected, my mouse and keyboard works.

I'm going to reinstall windows once I finish Mafia III.

Nate152
04-11-2017, 05:33 AM
Mafia III Racing, the road courses are tough. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX9GSPLkxgI&feature=youtu.be

Nate152
04-12-2017, 04:52 AM
So I thought I would try a little BCLK overclocking to see if Kabylake is any better than Skylake and well they're pretty much the same. I was able to hit 250 BCLK at the cost of lowering the ram speed which doesn't make it worthwhile but I was just curious to see how far it would go.

I set the Dram ratio to 100/133 and had to lower the ram speed to 2333MHz. I'm not going to fool with this any further as overclocking the BCLK is a very minuscule gain in performance and I probably lost a little by having to lower the ram speed from 3000MHz to 2333MHz.

The Bus Clock in HWinfo is the BCLK.

Click the pic to make it bigger

Nate152
04-12-2017, 05:39 AM
I am however able to run the ram at 3000MHz and 100/100 Dram ratio with a BCLK of 200 so I'll let it there. The cpu cache can overclock to 4700MHz but I dropped it to 4600MHz because there is no 23.5 multiplier. :)

Arne Saknussemm
04-12-2017, 07:18 AM
Mafia III Racing, the road courses are tough.

They are quite!....I've got the course record and 1st on everything except what I presume is the last race...wont spoil it but it's a doozey!

Nate152
04-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Oh wow, I've got 1st place in all the races so far but I have yet to get a record. I think I've done maybe 5 or 6 races. I might have found a bug though, I stole the big rig twice and it's showing again on the map but when I go there, there is no truck to steal.

Arne Saknussemm
04-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Yeah....that bug still there for me too...

Nate152
04-23-2017, 05:18 AM
update -

The disconnecting sound windows was giving me was indeed my mouse, at first I'd hear the noise but notice nothing but after a while the disconnecting got longer and the mouse light would go out and the cursor would pause. Connected up the Logitech G500 and all is well, it's a shame the G500s is on its way out I like that mouse.

Arne - I finally finished Mafia III, it's not too bad of a game, I think it's better than the users are giving it credit for at Metacritic but it did start to feel a little drawn out there at the end. After getting the car upgrades from the arms dealer I got every track record. The graphics are ok but seem a little behind with the times, the graphics aren't as crisp and clear as newer games. And the big rig never came back, it showed a marker on the map for it but when I went to it, it was not there. There are probably more cons than pros with this game and I'll give it a 6.5 out of 10.

ottoyu34
04-23-2017, 01:53 PM
update -

The disconnecting sound windows was giving me was indeed my mouse, at first I'd hear the noise but notice nothing but after a while the disconnecting got longer and the mouse light would go out and the cursor would pause. Connected up the Logitech G500 and all is well, it's a shame the G500s is on its way out I like that mouse.

I recently picked up the G502 (base without the RGB leds), and I think you will like it. Check it out.

Nate152
04-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Hi ottoyu34

That looks like a nice mouse too, I'm going to use the G500 until it dies then I'll make a decision on a new mouse. I see it's an optical mouse and not a laser mouse, not that it really matters I've used both and can't tell the difference between them.

I ran the Realbench benchmark again but this time it was crashing with the Open CL error, reinstalling the nvidia driver didn't fix it but reinstalling windows did. I reset to defaults and only overclocked the cpu to 5.0GHz, core 2 is back to running 9c warmer than core 3. It looks like it's time to delid and the Rockit 88 will be here today, hopefully temps will be more consistent.

Click the pic to make it bigger.

StoneCold52
04-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Question about Hero v. Code. In my reading, it appears the Hero's sata ports will only support data drives, not ATAPI drives. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chevell65
04-24-2017, 04:32 PM
I had the open CL error as well but uninstalling, rebooting then reinstalling the NVidia driver definitely got rid of that open CL error for me. After that I could run RB for my best score yet.

Nate152
04-24-2017, 04:53 PM
Hi StomeCold52

ATAPI is the older IDE so if you're using an AHCI ssd/hdd it may not work.

chevell65 - Yeah I guess that happens from too many BSOD's from overclocking and corrupts windows.

StoneCold52
04-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Thanks. That conflicts with the literature, but I'll take real world experience over dry specs anytime.

Nate152
04-24-2017, 05:14 PM
What is it you want to connect ?

Please post the device.

StoneCold52
04-24-2017, 05:24 PM
I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Code or the Hero. It's a difference of about $75. on Amazon. The stuff I read said the Hero's SATA ports would only support the data drives (HDD or SDD) not ATAPI (CD, DVD or Blu-Ray) drives, but that doesn't match your experience. I'll take your experience over the other stuff any time. My Gigabyte Z77 board appears to have died after flashing the bios from the F8 to F14. This gives me a good reason to change. Looking at either the Hero or the Code with i7 7700, ROG STRIX 1070, Corsair memory 16-32gb (yet to be determined). Any suggestions would be appreciated. The $75 difference is not that significant. I can hold off on 32gb & go with 16gb for now. Thanks in advance.

Nate152
04-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Yeah just get a sata dvd drive like I posted, it will work I promise. :)

If you want 32GB get it now, don't combine memory kits, you might get lucky and it will work but then it could give you problems or not work at all. It's not worth taking the chance on combining memory kits even of the same specs.

Have you checked out the G.Skill Trident Z ram ?

StoneCold52
04-24-2017, 06:30 PM
It's more money than what I was looking at: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000)

StoneCold52
04-24-2017, 06:31 PM
Is it worth the difference??

Nate152
04-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Please post me the ram kit you're looking at.

StoneCold52
04-24-2017, 07:03 PM
It's more money than what I was looking at: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000)

This is the one I'm looking at

Nate152
04-24-2017, 07:16 PM
All right, yeah that's a nice kit with RGB lighting too. I see a reviewer on Newegg saying only one stick works with Aura but that was back in november so I'm sure it's been addressed by now.

G.Skill's is about 40.00 more for their RGB ram so if you like the Cosrsair Vengeance go for it. :)

What cpu and cooler are you getting ?

StoneCold52
04-24-2017, 07:24 PM
All right, yeah that's a nice kit with RGB lighting too. I see a reviewer on Newegg saying only one stick works with Aura but that was back in november so I'm sure it's been addressed by now.

G.Skill's is about 40.00 more for their RGB ram so if you like the Cosrsair Vengeance go for it. :)

What cpu and cooler are you getting ?

i7 7700 with the Cooler Master 212. The cooler is from my old setup so if you think that's not good enough, please let me know. I'm also planning on re-using my Cooler Master HAF case with its 850 watt silent pro psu. I am not planning any serious attempts at OC. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nate152
04-24-2017, 07:45 PM
I'd actually recommend the i7-7700k even though you won't be overclocking, out of the box it's clocked 300MHz higher than the i7-7700 and is only about $40.00 more, it will likely have a stronger Integrated Memory Controller too. You can always try your hand at overclocking later on if you decide to, you'll certainly have a motherboard that's capable. You'd need a new cpu cooler and a decent one is around $100.00 give or take.

Go with the Maximus IX Hero and i7-7700k ?

http://www.outletpc.com/da0611-intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-quad-core-42-ghz.html?utm_source=da0611-intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-quad-core-42-ghz&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=pcpartpicker&utm_content=Intel%2B-%2BCPUs%20%28Processors%29%20%3E%20Intel%20LGA1151

StoneCold52
04-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Is there a particular reason not to reuse the current CPU cooler? I'm currently running, well, until the MB rolled over & died, an i7 3770. My "understanding" is that the 3770 actually runs hotter than either the 7700 or the 7700k. I'm probably going with the Code rather than the Hero. Suggestions are much appreciated.

Nate152
04-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Good choice on the Maximus IX Code !

I can tell you kabylake runs hotter than ivy bridge and skylake, I didn't have a haswell cpu but they ran hot too, devils canyon was a little better but not much.

Your Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO will work just fine for the 7700k at stock speed, depending on temps you might can overclock it a little but I wouldn't expect very much as temps will become the limiting factor quickly.

StoneCold52
04-24-2017, 08:19 PM
I'll keep that in mind. I have no intention of overclocking at all, but if I get bitten by the bug, I'll change the cooler. Any suggestions??

StoneCold52
04-24-2017, 08:22 PM
I forgot to add that, in checking my cart to see the difference in price between the 7700 & 770k, I actually had the k in my cart!!! So, no increase!! Sometimes, not often, mistakes work in our benefit, but I'm not counting on it.

Nate152
04-24-2017, 08:30 PM
LOL I can see subconsciously you wanted the i7-7700k. :D

You won't be dissappointed, if you want to see how far it will overclock with your 212 EVO I will gladly help you, it's quite easy to do.

Nate152
04-24-2017, 09:21 PM
OK so here's my list for delidding the i7-7700k.

Rockit 88 delid tool - Check
1150 Relid kit - Check
Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut - Check
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut - Check
99% Alcohol - Bzzzt - 70% will have to do
Scotch tape - Check
Black heat resistant RTV sealant - Check
Credit card for scraping off Intels silicon - Check

I believe that completes the list so let's get this under way, wish me luck. :)

bobbagels
04-24-2017, 10:41 PM
OK so here's my list for delidding the i7-7700k.

Rockit 88 delid tool - Check
1150 Relid kit - Check
Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut - Check
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut - Check
99% Alcohol - Bzzzt - 70% will have to do
Scotch tape - Check
Black heat resistant RTV sealant - Check
Credit card for scraping off Intels silicon - Check

I believe that completes the list so let's get this under way, wish me luck. :)

Hey Nate, I am putting together a new build
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/bobbagels/saved/yqpmGX
and almost ready to order. I have been reading heavily about delidding the 7700K and from what I am reading and seeing in videos I think I can do it.
So please, let us know how it goes and any tips appreciated.

Nate152
04-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Your build looks nice bobbagels, you'll have a screamer with the 1080 Ti !

I'm in the process of cleaning it up right now, it's super easy to get the IHS off with Rockit 88. I'm scraping off Intels silicon, they put it on fairly thick which puts more of a gap between the die and IHS.

It's going great so far, I'm taking my time with it. :)

Nate152
04-25-2017, 12:15 AM
Sorry this is blurry but you can still see Intel puts their silicon sealant on thick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4KMfqcelUE

Nate152
04-25-2017, 01:05 AM
It's clean but I see lint, I'll get that off and apply the conductonaut onto the die and IHS.

Nate152
04-25-2017, 01:56 AM
Now to relid, I got a little sealant on the inside of the IHS but should be ok, Intel did too. :D

CODE MAXIMUS
04-25-2017, 02:08 AM
Looking forward to the results Nate.

Nate152
04-25-2017, 02:09 AM
Hey CODE MAXIMUS !

Yeah me too, if temps are 50c when running Realbench I'll be very happy. I'm not sure what to expect, I've seen anywhere from 10c to 30c temp decrease.

It was easy to do, now to let it sit for 24 hrs.

CODE MAXIMUS
04-25-2017, 02:22 AM
Did you not use the tape method on the IHS, if not why? BTW, how long did it take to get the rockit 88 delid tool, do they have overnight shipping?

Nate152
04-25-2017, 02:39 AM
It took 4 days from the day I ordered it, I don't know if they have overnight shipping, shipping was $8.00 and ships from Houston Texas.

I didn't put tape on the IHS as I don't think it's that important, but I did on the PCB. You don't need much of the liquid metal, I had a little too much and it was pooling up which I don't think you want, I turned it on end and it started to run to one end so i had to remove some. This is the first time I've done it so hopefully I used enough.

I tried to use the least amount of sealant to get the IHS closer to the die.

CODE MAXIMUS
04-25-2017, 02:55 AM
Appreciate the update. Compared to how thick that stuff intel uses for sealant I bet your good.

StoneCold52
04-25-2017, 03:01 AM
OK, this is an old guy, newbie question:
How important is it to delid the i7 7700k???

Nate152
04-25-2017, 03:10 AM
I'm no longer a youngin' either StoneCold52, I just turned 50 last wednesday.

Delidding will give you alot of headroom for overclocking by lowering temps up to 30c or you'd have a quieter pc.

Here is a video you can watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzQWvvOTWy8

Nate152
04-25-2017, 04:36 AM
Some tips for delidding your cpu:

First off have this video available above when doing it, it will help alot.

Once you delid it let the pcb in the Rockit 88, it makes for a great holder and you don't have to remove it until relidding is done. That's nice, no chance of fumbling it around or dropping it.

The liquid metal squirts out !

It did for the guy in the video too and I said I bet I can do it without too much squirting out but nope, it's like you push on the syringe a little and push a little more then all of a sudden it lets loose, so the tape on the PCB is a must. You only need a very small amount, the size of a .B.B might even be too much for the die. Test how much you have on by turning the pcb and IHS on end, if it starts to pool at one end you got a little too much. I used the supplied q-tips for spreading and removing the excess liquid metal. I'm pretty sure you don't want to use household q-tips as they will let lint in the metal.

For the sealant, instead of cutting the tip I stuck a small screw in the end of the tip and more or less just poked the center of the tip out, this kept a small hole for a small bead. It was a little hard to squeeze out but not too bad, you don't need much of this either and don't forget to let a small gap. To clean the tip I used tooth picks and scooped it out, the hole in the tip was just big enough for a tooth pick to fit through.

A toothpick is also good to use to get Intel's sealant out of the groove on the underside of the IHS, a credit card took off the rest fairly well.

StoneCold52
04-25-2017, 03:27 PM
Wow!!! Is this something I can do if temps are too much?? As I said previously, I don't intend to do much, if any, overclocking. Yeah, my age is showing since since I built my first system in the eighties. It was actually easier then. We didn't have nearly as many choices. The first hard drive I installed was 32 mb. That's correct, megabytes and set me back $650.

Nate152
04-25-2017, 04:11 PM
Yes and it's easy to do, with everything tax and shipping you're looking at around $70.00.

StoneCold52
04-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Thanks again

Nate152
04-25-2017, 04:21 PM
You're welcome :)

StoneCold52
04-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Gigabyte finally got back to me, 5 days later, and told me that I could send the board in and they would try to fix it. Since it's 5 years old, I would have pay for it, understandable. I'll stick with this forum & Asus from now on. Thank you again for all your help and I'll keep posting

Nate152
04-26-2017, 12:29 AM
Yeah you won't be disappointed going with ASUS and being you have a 5 year old pc you should notice a huge performance increase.

StoneCold52
04-26-2017, 12:38 AM
It was running pretty well with the Asus 670, i7 3770 and 16 gb of Corsair ram. I also have the OCZ ssd. At the time, it was close to top of the line without being sli. I can hardly wait for the new one ☝️ [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji2]. I didn't really want to do more than change the video card. I also got a new Asus super monitor in September. I'll keep you posted. I hope my posts are just for fun and not necessity. It's good to know help is a post away. [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Nate152
04-26-2017, 12:49 AM
You can make a complete list of your new pc, I'd like to see what you got or you can fill out your pc specs and they will show below your name in red like mine.

Click the head in the circle at the top right of the forum page, click inbox, then on the left under "My Settings" click "Edit Profile", scroll down and enter your hardware.

CODE MAXIMUS
04-26-2017, 02:00 AM
1 hour untill we see sub-zero temperatures.

Nate152
04-26-2017, 02:13 AM
As soon as I find my score at HWBot for my 6700k I'll install the 7700k. :)

Nate152
04-26-2017, 03:57 AM
Here is the i7-7700k fresh out of the relidder and it looks pretty good, I see just a little bit of excess sealant.

The moment of truth will be the Realbench benchmark which is coming up next.

Nate152
04-26-2017, 04:24 AM
I don't know what it is with core #2 but it's still running the warmest after the delid and here is the temp difference.

Before delidding

Core 1 - 67c
Core 2 - 72c
Core 3 - 63c
Core 4 - 69c

After delidding

Core 1 - 54c
Core 2 - 58c
Core 3 - 54c
Core 4 - 54c

A difference of

Core 1 - 13c lower
Core 2 - 14c lower
Core 3 - 9c lower
Core 4 - 15c lower

I was hoping for a little more but that's not too bad, now to see if it yields me a higher overclock.

Nate152
04-26-2017, 09:22 AM
Here is For Honor at 5.3GHz, I needed 1.504v to get there and I have not stress tested it. This game doesn't put that much load on the cpu and temps are very good.

I'll try watchdogs 2 next as it's more demanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ODasO3EZlw&feature=youtu.be

CODE MAXIMUS
04-26-2017, 12:03 PM
WOW! You got a golden chip there that's even better. Good job Nate, looking forward to see where you find it fully stable with temps. That's definitely a good -15C average improvement you've accomplished per cpu package.

Nate152
04-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Hey Good Morning Code Maximus

Yeah I'm happy with 5.3GHz, this looks like it will be it though, to try for 5.4GHz I'd have to go over the max recommended voltage of 1.52v but I stll might try it for a test.

Watchdogs 2 is coming up, it's stable with games so far.

Nate152
04-26-2017, 01:52 PM
I forgot to rename it but here is watchdogs 2 at 5.3GHz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDb82BXo3UI&feature=youtu.be

Nate152
04-27-2017, 03:17 AM
I was thinking I might could get a better temp difference, I ran both tests with 1.31v, I remember Raja saying you should be able to run with less voltage after delidding.

I'll see if I can get a lower voltage for 5.0GHz and we'll compare them again.

StoneCold52
04-27-2017, 03:55 AM
Another question has come up. The Maximus IX Code only has one USB 2.0 header. Is there a card or something to add another? I'm using an older case without the 3.0 on the front. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Nate152
04-27-2017, 04:30 AM
Hey StoneCold52 !

Yep the Maximus IX Code has only one usb 2.0 header, it's part of the ROG_EXT header. You have a choice to use it either as a usb 2.0 header or something like the ROG Front Base.

My case is usb 2.0 too, you'll have two usb ports to use if that helps, I use one for my camera.

Nate152
04-27-2017, 06:23 AM
I was able to to pass the Realbench benchmark at 5.0GHz with 1.285v, I have LLC set to 6 and gives a maximum of 1.296v.

Before delidding with 1.310v

Core 1 - 67c
Core 2 - 72c
Core 3 - 63c
Core 4 - 69c

After delidding with 1.285v

Core 1 - 53c
Core 2 - 57c
Core 3 - 51c
Core 4 - 53c

A difference of:

Core 1 - 14c lower
Core 2 - 15c lower
Core 3 - 12c lower
Core 4 - 16c lower

And lowered voltage 0.025v

Dropping to 1.285v shaved off one degree more on cores 1,2, and 4 with core 3 seeing a 3c drop.

That's looking a little better. Maybe it's just something specific with realbench why core 2 to runs the warmest. It's like the cpu has the same characteristics with the temps they're just lower. Core 3 saw the least temp drop but runs the coolest and did before delidding.

Gaming temps however are pretty consistent.

StoneCold52
04-27-2017, 07:00 AM
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Nate152
04-28-2017, 01:54 PM
With the ram up to speed and the cpu cache at 5.0GHz temps are 50c - 60c and sometimes touch 70c. I cannot pass the Realbench benchmark with 1.55v, it seems I've taken all this cpu has to give. This cpu is a good one in the fact it can run at 5.0GHz with 1.310v and 1.285v after delidding but voltage scaling beyond 5.0GHz isn't so good.

I set it to 1.52v with LLC to level 6 and goes to 1.536v at times, I don't feel uncomfortable running it there.

The Ring Clock is the cpu cache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbDU2zSXohQ&t=299s

StoneCold52
04-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Wow!!

CODE MAXIMUS
04-28-2017, 09:52 PM
Did you seriously just turn around in the middle of the freeway? Those are some serious volts there Nate, passing RB benchmark isnt where its at its passing the stress test. At 5.2GHz I can pass the benchmark and even game but cannot pass the stress test and that was at 1.456v LLC6 so I settled for 5.1GHz with 1.376v LLC5 and that's where I'm leaving it (average temps while gaming 55C). With my chip I can pass RB stress tests all day long with 5.1 but unless I venture into 1.5v and up I'm not going to be stable with anything higher than 5.2GHz and that's degradation area for chip-not worth it for to me untill the next Intel chips are close to release. I would just back it off to 5.0-5.1 Nate. Also, I haven't found any significant result of overclocking uncore other than a tiny increase in lower latency from memory and I've had mine from stock to 1:1 (Auto 40.1ns / 1:1 39.8ns). Current and heat is what kills the chip, you don't have a temp wall anymore but there is always current. I know we all like to go fast but running nitrous too long leaning it out will eventually fail.

Nate152
04-28-2017, 10:37 PM
Yeah that's true, you don't gain much overclocking the cache but since the cache voltage is tied with the core voltage I'll take what it will give me.

I appreciate your concern on the longevity of my hardware, but Intel says max voltage of 1.52v which is where I'm at. Letting it go to 1.536v won't kill it and with temps where they are I don't see it degrading.

I have it running static too.

I don't think I've ever experienced a degrading cpu but I have blown one, I'll be your guinea pig and you can check in with me from time to time. :)

Honestly I think it will be fine.

Nate152
04-29-2017, 05:32 AM
Here are the graphics settings, this will give you an idea of the performance you can expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G9k_Ul67M4&feature=youtu.be

CODE MAXIMUS
04-29-2017, 07:26 AM
Hey Nate, not sure if you've played this game or not but it runs super good, mid 30C. I'm really liking this game, hand coordination is key. I just strarted it and so far I cannot put it down; Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. It also has a built in benchmark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsF0ba2ITn8&feature=youtu.be

Nate152
04-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Cool, I've seen this game but have not played it, there is a new one out or coming very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9vr-aNRCS0

CODE MAXIMUS
04-29-2017, 07:21 PM
Yea that was one of the reasons why I purchased Shadow of Mordor. I've had my eye on it for awhile and decided to just buy, glad I did.

Back to OCing uncore, I just did another overclock of uncore and I stand corrected, looks like do gain some READ/WRITE and COPY with lower latency however Level2 cache took a good hit on latency with overall gains in Level 3.

Uncore 3900
Uncore 4800

Nate152
04-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Thanks for comparing, maybe the cache overclock will help out my 3000MHz ram. You have a good cpu to run your ram at that speed and your cpu at 5.1GHz.

My ram is actually half of a 32GB kit, 2400MHz 16-16-16-36-1T,

I have 16GB and overclocked to 3000MHz, 15-15-15-35-2N.

CODE MAXIMUS
04-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Thanks for comparing, maybe the cache overclock will help out my 3000MHz ram. You have a good cpu to run your ram at that speed and your cpu at 5.1GHz.

My ram is actually half of a 32GB kit, 2400MHz 16-16-16-36-1T,

I have 16GB and overclocked to 3000MHz, 15-15-15-35-2N.

Appreciate it, yes just wish I would have got my memory sooner before RAM prices took off recently but it is what it is. At the time I got my i5 I was debating on whether or not to spend more to get a certified chip from Silicon Lottery or take my chances with microcenter that is right around the corner, yea it only hits 5151MHz fully stable on water but I'm not complaining.

If you decide to upgrade your ram I can confirm the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 8X2 16GB kit will run at 3866 fully stable with Kaby Lake with the Maximus IX Code motherboard (BIOS 0801), part# is in my setup under avatar.

StoneCold52
04-30-2017, 01:29 AM
I need a little guidance. I'm about to install my i7 7700k into my new Maximus IX Code. There is an installation tool for the CPU. I don't understand, but it appears that you leave the tool on the CPU after you install it. It doesn't make sense, but everything looks like that is the case. Can someone help me out on this?

Nate152
04-30-2017, 01:53 AM
I would recommend NOT using the cpu installation tool, I personally don't use it. Just be gentle placing it in the socket and all will be good.

StoneCold52
04-30-2017, 01:59 AM
I'll probably take your advice, but if I use it, does it really stay on?? That seems strange.

Nate152
04-30-2017, 02:00 AM
I believe it does stay on if you use it.

StoneCold52
04-30-2017, 02:07 AM
Again, that's weird, so I don't want it; however, I'm concerned that not using it would void the warranty. Thoughts???

Nate152
04-30-2017, 02:21 AM
No it won't void the warranty by not using the tool, as I said just be gentle placing it in the socket. If you bend any cpu socket pins that will void the warranty.

You have installed a cpu before ?

StoneCold52
04-30-2017, 02:35 AM
Only about 8 builds and I bent pins once. Not fun at all. My problem is that I'm not 35 anymore, more like 65, and the myriad of choices available. As I said, I did my first from scratch build in 1988. Here we are almost 30 years later and what we have available is amazing. I just bought a 4 Tb hard drive and, looking back, my first build was with a 32mb hard drive that cost me north of $600. Times they are achanging. As a retired lawyer & judge, I worry about loopholes in the warranty. You guys have been great. You asked me about my system & here it is:

Intel Core i7-7700k

Asus Maximus IX Code Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000) C15 for DDR4 Systems - Blue LED PC Memory (CMU16GX4M2C3000C15B)

OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) VTX3-25SAT3-120G

Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 850W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze Certification and Semi-Modular Cables

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes

ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphic Card STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING

Nate152
04-30-2017, 02:53 AM
Yeah you have enough experience to not need the tool, just install the cpu like you would any other. Make sure the cpu is in the right orientation then gently place it in the socket and close the latch.

It's ok to be cautious but don't be afraid. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd6MB4teBhc

StoneCold52
04-30-2017, 09:52 PM
What???

Nate152
04-30-2017, 10:01 PM
Hey StoneCold52

Did you get your cpu installed ?

CODE MAXIMUS
05-01-2017, 03:42 AM
What???

I was going to say the tool pops off after you latch the cpu in place but had that confused with the cpu cover. As long as you got steady hands and can make sure it is lined in correctly you don't need the installation tool. If you do use the tool the tool will stay with cpu after you latch it down. Sorry for any confusion.

StoneCold52
05-01-2017, 03:45 AM
Thanx

Nate152
05-01-2017, 04:13 AM
So I wanted to see if it could do 5.4GHz with HT off and sure enough it can, the cache wouldn't go at 5.1GHz though.

Far Cry 4 - 5.4GHz HT off, cache at 5.0GHz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvhfqwMDiKk&feature=youtu.be

CODE MAXIMUS
05-01-2017, 06:26 AM
Nice, temps are looking awesome. So I know, how often per day do you game at 1.52v?

Nate152
05-01-2017, 06:34 AM
Everyday since I've had it there and it will stay there. :)

StoneCold52
05-01-2017, 06:37 AM
Hey StoneCold52

Did you get your cpu installed ?

I needed to get the old board out and label all the connections. I hope to have it today, 5/1

Nate152
05-01-2017, 06:42 AM
OK StoneCold52

If you have any questions while hooking it up don't hesitate to ask.

StoneCold52
05-01-2017, 07:05 AM
Thank you

Nate152
05-01-2017, 07:39 PM
After delidding I thought I would try BCLK overclocking again and I am able to hit 312.50 BCLK with the ram running at 2500MHz. For whatever reason the core clock, bus clock, ring clock and system agent clock disappear in HWinfo when setting the BCLK this high but CPU-Z reads it.

The Bus Speed in CPU-Z is the BCLK, NB Frequency is the cpu cache.

NiscoRacing
05-01-2017, 11:10 PM
After delidding I thought I would try BCLK overclocking again and I am able to hit 312.50 BCLK with the ram running at 2500MHz. For whatever reason the core clock, bus clock, ring clock and system agent clock disappear in HWinfo when setting the BCLK this high but CPU-Z reads it.

The Bus Speed in CPU-Z is the BCLK, NB Frequency is the cpu cache.

What is going on you posted that 3 times haha. Is the PC okay!?

Nate152
05-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Hi NiscoRacing

My pc is running great !

This is the first time I've posted with the BCLK at 312.50, before delidding I was only able to hit 250 BCLK.

Nate152
05-02-2017, 02:17 PM
I spoke with Martin who does the HWinfo program and he said there is a filter that prevents it from reading the BCLK above 300.

He said he will address it in the next version. :)

chevell65
05-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Hey nice OC's here Nate. Which of these OC's are giving you best scores on Real Bench 2.54?

Nate152
05-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Hi chevelle65

Thank you !

Sadly at 5.3GHz I cannot pass the Realbench benchmark but it plays every game I've tried so far.

The new version of HWinfo will be released tomorrow.

StoneCold52
05-03-2017, 12:21 AM
I'm finally putting the finishing touches and I have a question. I have 4 chassis fans and there are only 3 dedicated fan headers. So, can I use the H_Amp, the CPU_OPT, the W_PUMP or the AIO_PUMP headers???

Nate152
05-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Hey StoneCold52

Good to hear you about got it done !

The Maximus IX Code has 8 pwm fan headers but you can use the other headers you mention if they're more convenient.

Click the pic to make it bigger.

StoneCold52
05-03-2017, 01:14 AM
The picture doesn't come through. If you want to text it, I'll give you the number through IM. Let me know. Are you counting the headers I mentioned in the 8 pwm's. If not, I just can't see them either on the layout in the literature or the board itself. Thank you for your efforts and I'll press on. One more question, my heat sink moves a little, but I really don't want to tighten it anymore.

Nate152
05-03-2017, 01:36 AM
You want the heatsink pretty snug but you can let it how it is and see how temps are. You can use the headers you mentioned as fan headers too, whichever ones are more convenient is fine.

I use the W_Pump header as a fan header. :)

StoneCold52
05-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Ok, I'm now officially embarrassed. I connected four pin extension cables to my fan headers. This was fine until, as on of my last things to do before lighting it up, I realized all my fans, except the CPU fan, are THREE pin. How did I miss that?? Any ideas?? Do I have to get new fans or is there some kind of adapter?? Aaaarrrrgh

StoneCold52
05-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Update to my last post. My three pin fan connector will plug into the 4 pin extension and the red-yellow-black wires line up. Will this work??? Or am I screwed unless I get new fans????

Nate152
05-04-2017, 04:11 AM
Hi StoneCold52

Sorry for the late reply I was away today.

Yep it will work, you can connect a 3-pin fan to a 4-pin header, it will only go on one way.

sdmf74
05-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Another question has come up. The Maximus IX Code only has one USB 2.0 header. Is there a card or something to add another? I'm using an older case without the 3.0 on the front. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey whats up guys, Ive been skimming through your thread & I noticed nobody answered this one (I think) so in case its still relevant you can definately buy a usb 2.0 hub, I almost did but decided to forego my ROG front base instead.
NZXT internal usb hub (https://www.nzxt.com/products/internal-usb-hub)
HUBBY7 internal USB 2.0 Hub (https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=3419)
I would prolly go for the Aquacomputer over the nzxt, apparently it can mount to your motherboard.

Oh and you can use the 3 pin fans just go into bios under monitoring and change all the headers to auto or DC instead of pwm.

So I just upgraded my M7F TO M9F and just got it all put together and getting ready to overclock. Looks like you guys are getting some pretty good overclocks!
Everythings pretty much done except I need to get rid of the last bit of red (the cables).
What color psu cables do you think I should get?
Im thinkin bout the MODMESH cause they are thicker than the modflex, I cant stand how thin the EVGA cable set is but Im thinkin bout goin with carbon color (https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-e-series-g2-p2-t2-modmesh-cable-kit/?attribute_pa_color=carbon)

Any suggestions on overclocking would be great?

Nate152
05-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Hi sdmf74

Aquacomputer is good stuff !

That's a nice machine you have and I dig your cpu water block, I didn't know swiftech had an ROG waterblock and I use a swiftech apogee water block too, very nice !

Overclocking is easy, it's pretty much just core ratio and core/cache voltage. The i7-7700k runs hot, to get the full potential out of it with good temps you could delid it, this will lower temps by at least 15c and allow you to overclock further. I don't know if you saw but delidding also lowered the voltage 0.025v for the same speed. So not only does delidding lower temps, it allows you to run with lower voltage too. If you decide to do it I would recommend using the Rockit 88 tool, it voids your warranty but in my opinion it's worth doing. You can see where you end up with overclocking then if you feel you want more, delid.

For your psu cables, if you don't want it too flashy the carbon color is a good choice.

I think I'm pretty much overclocked as far as I can go, I'll post a video here soon with the BCLK at 312.50, the new version of HWinfo reads the BCLK above 300 and all the settings are back.

Nate152
05-04-2017, 02:51 PM
The main thing is to keep an eye on temps, temps will become the limiting factor at 1.35v - 1.40v ish. When stress testing don't let temps go beyond 90c, increasing the voltage increases the temps and the temps will tell you how far you can go. If you see temps go past 90c stop the test.

My gaming temps are 50's - 60's mainly and sometimes touch 70c and I'm comfortable with that. To test for stability I will recommend the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, it seems to be the easiest on your cpu will still putting 100% load on it. It has a stress test and a benchmark.

You can give it a run at default settings and see where temps are, this will give you an idea of what you have to work with. You can post your temps if you like. :) Want to help ROG become number 1 in HWBot? Run the benchmark and click comapare and join Team Republic Of Gamers. You'll have to make an account for HWbot to submit your score and you can post as many times as you want.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

sdmf74
05-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Hey Nate thanks man I got the cpu block at PPC's about a year or two ago I believe. When I switched out my M7F I changed the light in the asus logo from red to white, its just a plastic piece under the cover since it was before RGB took off. That kinda prompted me to get rid of the rest of the red in the build and I have always hated the EVGA cable set anyway. I think Im gonna pull the trigger on the carbon cables right now ( I think white would be a little much). They would prolly look good but Im afraid they would get dirty with my high speed fans and caselabs filterless design. Im gonna add some carbon fiber cable combs from mnpctech. (https://mnpctech.com/buy-stealth-cable-combs-for-pcs/carbon-fiber-cable-combs/)

I appreciate all the tips I will keep that in mind, Ive been doing alot of research the last couple days and I think It should be easy, Kaby has some pretty exciting new settings. Hope I got a good chip this time, I should know real soon.

As far as delidding goes this would be my first time but I already have some conductonaut and high temp silicone in my amazon cart and been eyeballin that rockit88 so Im sure thats inevitable. Been hearing alot of people getting awesome results w/ Kaby delid.

Nate152
05-04-2017, 03:33 PM
kaby lake does have some new features. I haven't tried the AVX offset, I try to stay away from programs that use AVX instructions. Enabling the BCLK aware voltage didn't seem to have an effect on overclocking the cpu or BCLK. When overclocking, most everything can be let on auto and just work the cpu core ratio and cpu core/cache voltage. I will mention again increasing the voltage increases the temps, this is why it is important to monitor the temps.

Start on page 9 on of this thread, I give my experience and a few tips for delidding, this was my first time too. :)

I used conductonaut between the die and IHS and kryonaut between the IHS and waterblock.

If you have any questions on overclocking or delidding feel free to ask.

sdmf74
05-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Cool man will do Ill go back and see if I covered page 9+. I have a good cooling system but still wanna delid, I just gave it a quick and dirty oc @ 50/ 45uncore 1.35v 3600ram on manual oc, it crashed once then I rememberd I needed to give her a little vccio & system agent (from auto) and its been cool. No time to stress it though gonna take a nap and put it through the paces in a few hours, If it takes it Ill try to pull the voltage down.
Ill report back though, wish me luck!

Nate152
05-04-2017, 05:27 PM
OK it sounds good so far, let me know what you end up with and what temps are. :)

Post some gaming temps too please.

BlueScreen
05-04-2017, 07:16 PM
The pictures in the original post. What type fittings are shown being used to connect the tubing to the CPU waterblock?

Nate152
05-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Hi Bluescreen

They are 3/8 x 5/8 black chrome Monsoon chaingun fittings, they come in different colors too.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/monsoon-chain-gun-compression-fittings-3-8-x-5-8-single-black-chrome.html

Nate152
05-05-2017, 09:29 AM
The Ring Clock = The cpu cache
The Bus Clock = The BCLK

I was able to get the ram to 2810MHz with the BCLK at 312.50.

What do you guys think ?

There is some static in the sound, this could be because I had the bass up pretty high, I didn't notice it while playing. I'll back off the bass a little for the next video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXhOsTMz9MM

CODE MAXIMUS
05-06-2017, 03:03 AM
Good to see both base clock and core overclocking capabilities this board can do with Intel. Nice work Nate.

What I can share with this board is that I am capable of overclocking Corsair's Vengeance LPX 3600 8X2GB ram kit (CMK16GX4M2B3600C18) with the following settings on my 7600k machine. 51 uncore 48 / 100bclk

3733MHz
Timings: 15-15-15-36-2T
DRAM voltage: 1.5v
VCCIO: 1.25v
System Agent: 1.30v
DMI voltage: 1.25v

3866MHz I had to increase VCCIO and DMI voltage to 1.300v, other settings the same above.

3866 is fully stable 100% with HCImemtest.

I've loosened up the timings a bit to try to get to 4000MHz and can boot into windows but get code 55 on cold boots and sometimes restarts. I'm new to overclocking memory and really don't want to go over 1.3v for SA and/or VCCIO but for now memory is passing tests. Trying to find time to learn about tertiary timings and termination voltage.

StoneCold52
05-06-2017, 06:31 AM
OK, I finally tried to fire mine up for the first time. AUSUS Maximus IX Code, Intel 7700k, NCorsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM, no monitor or mouse connected. My test monitor only has divx or vga. Onboard graphics only have DisplayPort or hdmi. I didn't want the graphics card to interfere with anything so no display. I'm working on a display solution. Problem is the A2 ide detect error code. I only have my keyboard as an external connection. I have the USB 3.0 & 2.0 plugged into the appropriate headers. I have my boot drive, OCZ Vertex 3 plugged into one sata port. Nothing else is connected. Ideas???

StoneCold52
05-06-2017, 06:45 AM
Update. I took the memory sticks out & reinstalled it. Now it hangs on A9 start of setup. I still don't have a monitor solution, but I'm working on it. I also disconnected the ssd. I'm working on this & I'll keep you posted.

StoneCold52
05-06-2017, 06:55 AM
With ssd it hangs on AE legacy boot event. Frustrating.

Nate152
05-06-2017, 08:14 AM
Hi StoneCold52

I sure hope you made a type with DDR3 ram. :)

You'll need a monitor otherwise you'll get an error code and should be code 99, code AE means it's looking for an operating system.

So yeah get a monitor so you have display.

StoneCold52
05-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Yeah, DDR4 Ram

Nate152
05-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Ok, are you looking at any particular monitor or do you have one in mind ?

StoneCold52
05-06-2017, 04:44 PM
I'm using an old hp w2207 as my test monitor. I have an ASUS VG278HV as my system monitor. I'm putting the build together in a different part of my house due to better lighting. I really don't want to carry the new one all over the house. The test monitor only has vga & divx connections. The onboard graphics only has hdmi & DisplayPort connections. The new monitor has divx-d and hdmi. I use the divx-d because it lets me use the full 144 Hz refresh. So, I have a couple of choices, install my new ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphic Card or my old Asus 670 OR haul my new monitor up one flight & then down another and use the hdmi with the onboard graphics. Part of me wants to use the onboard for simplicity, the graphics card for ease of use. Thoughts??????

Nate152
05-06-2017, 05:37 PM
At 1080p and 144Hz I'd install the ROG Strix 1070.

Shadowline_2332
05-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Those are some really nice temps, I am looking at Delidding as well for my upcoming build, though it isn't on the Code it's on the Extreme and my plan is to try and hit 5.0Ghz. I am mainly trying to keep temps under control so that my fans don't have to ramp up too much.

Nate152
05-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Hi shadowline_2332

Depending on your cpu you should be able to hit 5.0GHz after delidding and if you get a good one you may be able to hit 5.4GHz.

StoneCold52
05-10-2017, 05:57 PM
At 1080p and 144Hz I'd install the ROG Strix 1070.

Follow up to all that have so helpful. I now have my 1070 installed and all systems are go (just watched "The Right Stuff" again). The only issues are that when my old MB crashed, it appears to have taken two drives with it. One is completely torched and one, my boot drive, an ssd 120, won't boot. I was able get access to the other three and save a ton of data. My problem is two fold. My ssd has my windows 10 installation and, since I had to reinstall a download of Win 10, I don't have a product key. If I can get my ssd to boot, it would solve my problems. If not, any ideas on rescuing my product key? Before you say it, I know I should have something with my product key, I can't find it and neither can Microsoft. I tried Produkey to no joy. Any other utilities that might help? Thanx in advance.

Nate152
05-10-2017, 06:21 PM
If your ssd with windows 10 is from a previous build it's recommended to do a fresh install of windows to avoid driver issues. Since Microsoft can't help you it might be best to get a new copy of windows 10, I'm not sure what else to suggest here.

I'm using Windows 10 Home as I don't need the features Windows 10 Pro offers, Windows 10 Home is also cheaper.

I don't know if this might help you.

https://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/

chevell65
05-10-2017, 06:42 PM
My problem is two fold. My ssd has my windows 10 installation and, since I had to reinstall a download of Win 10, I don't have a product key. If I can get my ssd to boot, it would solve my problems. If not, any ideas on rescuing my product key?

There are actually two ways to do this.

If you signed into your Windows Live account when you set up your old Windows 10 installation on the old SSD then when you install Windows 10 on the new machine, new harddrive and sign into it using the same Windows Live account which should have the same E-mail associated with it, it will automatically activate your new Windows 10 installation, in most cases this is regardless if you are changing hardware or not. This is one of the many reasons you need to use a Windows Live account when setting up a Windows 10 installation.

You can also use an upgrade activation key from Windows 8 or 8.1 "IF" you paid the 40 bucks when you upgraded to Windows 10. You would need to have saved the activation key in your E-mail from Microsoft which they send after you pay for the upgrade.

Nate152
05-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Shhhh, don't tell anyone but you can still get the windows 10 "Free" upgrade with assistive technology.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

I could have done this as I still have windows 7 but it's a big pain waiting for windows to find all the updates (about 8 hours) and I have high speed internet (100 mb/s). Then you have to do the upgrade which takes another hour or two so I just went and got Windows 10 Home to avoid the hassle.

chevell65
05-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Yes but for that free upgrade to work you would need to reinstall and activate either Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1.

Nate152
05-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Yes that is true which would require the Windows 7-8-8.1 product key.

StoneCold52
05-10-2017, 07:14 PM
I don't have an activation key. I honestly don't know what happened to it. I'm still searching emails to try & find it. Aaaaarrrrrrgh

chevell65
05-10-2017, 07:18 PM
I don't have an activation key. I honestly don't know what happened to it. I'm still searching emails to try & find it. Aaaaarrrrrrgh

And no Windows Live account either?

StoneCold52
05-10-2017, 08:52 PM
I did at one time so I'm looking

StoneCold52
05-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Again, no joy!! I'm thinking gunpowder. J/K so please don't turn me in. [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

StoneCold52
05-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Still can't find my key. I'm still looking. One more thing. I see a number of posts regarding OC. What utility do you use to check temps??

StoneCold52
05-14-2017, 05:53 PM
I found my Win 7 installation disk with its key. I tried just plugging that key into the Win 10 activation. Again, no joy. I'm going to reinstall 7 and then try 10. This is going to take a while. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

Nate152
05-14-2017, 06:08 PM
yep it will take a while, I'm all too familiar with doing the upgrade is why I got windows 10.

StoneCold52
05-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I've had every version of Windows since 95. Some good, some sucked. Win 10 is living up to its hype. IMHO.

Nate152
05-14-2017, 06:33 PM
I install the classic shell to make it look and feel more like windows 7.

Nate152
05-20-2017, 02:25 PM
After running it for a while at 5.3GHz it did ok until I played Crysis 3, I was getting cpu L0 cache errors in watchdogs 2 with the Cache at 5.0GHz, it didn't seem to affect performance but then BSOD's in Crysis 3. So since it's not fully stable I've backed it down to 5.2GHz and had to drop the cpu cache to 4.7GHz, I also set the BCLK back to 100 to get the ram back up to speed.

It will run with 1.404v but I have to set it to 1.44v for the cpu cache errors to stop, I'll keep it here for 24/7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6X6J7DInbk&t=2998s

Stealth1967
05-22-2017, 04:47 PM
Hi Nate, Code Maximus...

i love the "Code" that has now replaced my previous Sabertooth Z77 coupled with a Core I5 7600 K......
I will OC it as soon as possible to reach 4.8 Ghz daily.... As ever ROG rulez !!

Nate152
05-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Hey CODE MAXIMUS !

Not only are you confusing me with your name, but I thought you already had your 7600k overclocked to 5.1GHz. :)

Your rig looks nice, what gpu do you have in there now a 1080 ?

Nate152
05-22-2017, 10:35 PM
Another project coming up. :)

CODE MAXIMUS
05-23-2017, 10:09 PM
Hey CODE MAXIMUS !

Not only are you confusing me with your name, but I thought you already had your 7600k overclocked to 5.1GHz. :)

Your rig looks nice, what gpu do you have in there now a 1080 ?

Nate that is not my rig. No nvidia card in my system, 4K IPS G-Sync monitors are priced too high for my budget. That is Stealth's rig.

Nate152
05-23-2017, 11:10 PM
Oh I see now, he was saying Hi to you too. I thought he was addressing himself as you, I'm sorry guys.

Stealth1967 - The Maximus IX Code is a great motherboard and I'm having alot of fun with it and I bet you are too. I have the ROG Strix 1070 right now but a Titan X (pascal) will be here tomorrow, I'm going to put it under water as you can see. There are some missions in watchdogs 2 where FPS dips down to 30 and I'm looking forward to trying it out and hopefully will be able to max the settings except for AA.

I been doing some research and I found the chain gun fittings won't fit without using extenders as they are too wide so I got two 8mm extenders to clear the pcb, I hope they're long enough which they look like they should be.

I hope to have some pics sometime late tomorrow.

Nate152
05-24-2017, 03:18 AM
A water block on the Titan X helps significantly with overclocking, even though temps on air are only 50c he wasn't getting much gain beyond a 75MHz core overclock but that changed once he installed the water block.

This is a long video but it was worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6GnlnVJodU

Nate152
05-24-2017, 07:52 PM
What do you guys think, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on the gpu die ?

It's safe to use with nickel.

Nate152
05-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Thermal Grizzly Cunductonaut applied to the gpu die, now to install the water block.

Nate152
05-24-2017, 09:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPfoRLHPMxg

Nate152
05-24-2017, 10:28 PM
Now to install the back plate.

Nate152
05-25-2017, 12:54 AM
And with the back plate installed, now to install the extenders and fittings.

Nate152
05-25-2017, 01:31 AM
Monsoon selling their chain gun fittings with no O-rings? Good thing I spotted that and luckily I have some spare new barbs so I used the O-rings off of those.

It was awfully close on needing the extenders. Now the pain in the butt part to drain the loop and get it installed in the Maximus IX Code.

The one pin in the fitting looks crooked but it's not, I guess it's just the way the camera took the picture.

Nate152
05-26-2017, 02:12 PM
Well after getting it installed and filling the loop it is not working. I didn't test it before installing the water block because it came naked without a cooler but I know the person that sent it to me wouldn't send me a defective gpu. It's not detected in the bios or nvidia control panel, the only thing I can think of it either got damaged during shipping or I used too much thermal grizzly conductonaut which I hope I didn't. I'm going to pull it apart and see what it looks like.

I need to get some more tubing before doing it so it won't be today.

What a BIG bummer.

Chino
05-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Try removing your other graphics card for now. Clear your CMOS. And if possible reseat your GPU. :p

Nate152
05-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Hey Chino !

Man I'm really worried I might have used too much conductonaut, I'm gonna be so mad if I did.

In this picture, if the liguid metal goes onto ring of small pins around the die, would this kill it?

Benson33
05-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Hey Chino !

Man I'm really worried I might have used too much conductonaut, I'm gonna be so mad if I did.

In this picture, if the liguid metal goes onto ring of small pins around the die, would this kill it?

Did you protect the VRMs around the DIE with varnish for example, when you applied the Conductonaut? I fear that the liquid metal poured on it when you put the waterblock on the card, causing a short circuit.

Nate152
05-26-2017, 03:33 PM
I fear the same thing and no I did not put varnish on them. I'll have to see how bad it is, you don't know how bad I'm kicking myself right now. Would you know an easy way to remove the liquid metal or is it already toast ?

If I can get the liquid metal off could it work again ?

I should have played it safe with the kryonaut.

Nate152
05-28-2017, 07:10 PM
I haven't taken it apart yet, yesterday I was minutes from tearing it down when my buddy called and said he may have damaged it taking it apart and cleaning it but I think I killed it with the conductonaut. Then he says since the warranty is void for removing the cooler, let's blame it on shipping. I was expecting him to be mad at me and call me every name in the book and I'd deserve every one.

It looks like the project will continue, he said to expect a package in about a week. He wouldn't say what it was so I can only suspect it will be a Titan Xp. I imagine it will be brand sparkling new too so I will test it with the stock cooler before installing the water block.

Benson33
05-28-2017, 09:13 PM
I haven't taken it apart yet, yesterday I was minutes from tearing it down when my buddy called and said he may have damaged it taking it apart and cleaning it but I think I killed it with the conductonaut. Then he says since the warranty is void for removing the cooler, let's blame it on shipping. I was expecting him to be mad at me and call me every name in the book and I'd deserve every one.

It looks like the project will continue, he said to expect a package in about a week. He wouldn't say what it was so I can only suspect it will be a Titan Xp. I imagine it will be brand sparkling new too so I will test it with the stock cooler before installing the water block.

Hi Nate, and especially for the next Titan XP, uses Kryonaute, takes no risk this time, play it safe.

Nate152
05-28-2017, 09:21 PM
Hi Benson33

You know it !

I put electrical tape on those resistors around the die when applying the conductonaut but then I removed it.

Heini
05-28-2017, 09:28 PM
I imagine it will be brand sparkling new too so I will test it with the stock cooler before installing the water block.

As one who doesn't OC or water cool I have a question for anyone who cares to respond. If you or I have the hardware to run current games/software at desired resolutions with acceptable frame rates, what's the point in OCing or water cooling? I've had several hobbies over my long years and I've always pushed to be the best I could but would never push myself or equipment to the point it could fail. So, what's the fascination?

ps.....Though I quoted Nate152 it is not directed at him. This question is for anyone whom can help me understand!

Nate152
05-28-2017, 11:34 PM
Hi Heni

Well, overclocking can potentially damage your hardware, the most important thing is to pay attention to temps and voltage and know your hardware's limit. For instance Intel says a max voltage of 1.52v and 64c for the 6700k - 7700k. I asked Intel to confirm on there online chat and the guy I spoke with said you can run it at 85c 24/7 but I wouldn't feel comfortable running mine there. There is also the possibility of degradation and this can happen if you run at too high of temps or over 1.52v for long periods of time.

This is where water cooling comes in, as an example say you overclock your 6700k to 4.5GHz with 1.30v and temps are at their limit, with liquid cooling you now may be able to do 4.7GHz with 1.40v - 1.45v, so watercooling either gives you more headroom for overclocking or it gives you a queiter pc.

Overclocking your gpu is even safer and has been for a while since Nvidia started capping the voltage, with the voltage capped there is no chance of damaging your gpu. You may have a couple BSOD's or freezes when overclocking it but that is normal until you get it dialed in.

GPU Boost 3.0 works by temp and can be your friend or enemy, once it hits a certain temp it will start throttling the voltage and frequency but if temps are nice and super low it will boost over the advertised frequency. Once you hit the power limit it will also start throttling, stock is 100% power limit but Nvidia gives the option to take it to 120% with the OC gpu's and I imagine with the Titan X - Xp too. Linked with the power limit is the temp target, I let it linked for the highest temp and for the ROG Strix 1070 it's 92c but there is throttling once the temp hits 70c. I sometimes use a fan curve or just crank the fans to 100% before starting a game and temps are on average anywhere from 50c to 60c.

Now I know you don't like software for anything not even a cpu cooler but if there is one thing I could talk you into using it would be GPU Tweak II, MSI Afterburner, or EVGA Precision X. You'd get free performance up to maybe 10 FPS or a little more depending on the game and with your EVGA AIO cooler you shouldn't have any throttling.

So all in all overclocking is safe as long as you keep within the voltage guidelines and pay attention to temps, the reason I overclock is it's fun and it's free performance. :)

Heini
05-29-2017, 06:06 AM
So all in all overclocking is safe as long as you keep within the voltage guidelines and pay attention to temps, the reason I overclock is it's fun and it's free performance. :)

Thanks for the reply Nate, I doubt others will join in the discussion but I can hope. Your statement, "the reason I overclock is it's fun and it's free performance" explains as well as I could hope for. I digress though in the part of "free performance", nothing is free!

Nate152
05-29-2017, 02:43 PM
True, the additional voltage will cost on your electric bill but shouldn't be that much. :)

Nate152
06-03-2017, 06:35 AM
After taking the water block off the titan x pascal a little bit of the liquid metal did run down the side of the gpu die but it didn't make it to the transistors so I'm pretty sure the conductonaut didn't damage it.

Nate152
06-03-2017, 07:31 AM
I'm kinda tired right now, I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

Nate152
06-03-2017, 01:35 PM
A few more pics

The Mayhems tubing was starting to stain so I replaced it with koolance tubing.

All is working well with the Titan Xp.

I need to do a little dusting

Nate152
06-03-2017, 07:57 PM
The default clock of the Titan Xp is 1405MHz and boosts to 1582MHz. I increased the power limit to 120% and it's boosting to 1898MHz, the memory clock stayed the same at 11,400MHz.

I started it cold but once warmed up gpu temps are topping out at 42c-43c, I turned V-Sync off to max out the gpu as much as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuTPQEdJ1Ps&t=691s

Nate152
06-04-2017, 06:29 PM
Voltage control on the Titan Xp is greyed out, with no help from Nvidia I'm searching for a way to unlock it. There doesn't seem to be voltage monitoring either so I can't see where the voltage is running at, it seems Nvidia wants users to stay away from the voltage.

Max clocks as of now are:

GPU Core - 2025MHz
GPU Memory - 12,920MHz

Starting from the boost clock that's a gain of

Core clock - +443MHz
Memory clock - +1520MHz

That's pretty good with no voltage control.

Here's another video of watchdogs 2 with the Titan Xp overclocked, next I'll run unigine valley to see how much performance gain there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6McOU4uKP8&feature=youtu.be

Nate152
06-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Unigine valley with the Titan Xp at stock.

2560 x 1440 , Ultra settings, No AA.

Nate152
06-04-2017, 08:33 PM
Titan Xp OC'd to the max.

A nice gain of 10 FPS but lost 7 FPS in Max. FPS

Nate152
06-04-2017, 09:21 PM
That last run had me puzzled why the max FPS dropped so I ran it again,It looks a little better but I was expecting more of a performance gain with the overclock.

A 10 FPS gain is still good for just overclocking the gpu. I have the power limit set to 120%, it was hitting 119% at times during the benchmark, this could be having an effect on performance.

Nate152
06-04-2017, 09:44 PM
A requested pic of the Titan X pascal fan header.

Nate152
06-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Superposition 1080p extreme, Titan Xp stock.

Nate152
06-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Superposition 1080p extreme Titan Xp OC.

Nate152
06-05-2017, 12:15 AM
Gaming at 4k on a 1440p monitor is easy, here is all you do.

1) Open Nvidia control panel and click manage 3d settings.
2) Beside DSR Factors click "OFF" then check the 7 boxes.
3) Click ok and apply.
4) In the game settings you can now select 3840 x 2160 resolution.

My monitor is native 1600p with 16:10 aspect ratio so I have to use 3840 x 2400 resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSaucf7OxI

Nate152
06-05-2017, 12:32 AM
Max voltage for the Titan Xp is 1.063v, there has to be a way to at least get it to 1.093v but I haven't found it yet. :)

Heini
06-05-2017, 01:36 AM
Man, Looking at your videos wants me to to remand you to some defensive driving classes, LOL!

Nate152
06-05-2017, 02:05 AM
Hi Heini

Haha, I drive like that in real life too. :D

Heini
06-05-2017, 02:50 AM
Superposition.108.68/14530 (fps is @ avg)
Valley............161.6/6761
Heaven..........185.2/4664
There's my scores @ 2560/1440p with all other settings at Unigine's defaults.
Hmmmmmmmmmm, Looks like you need to push the OC's to catch my slower air cooled machine!

Nate152
06-05-2017, 02:56 AM
What settings are you using for Superposition?

I don't see a 1440p setting.

Never mind I see it now. :)

I'll do a run at stock and overclocked.

Heini
06-05-2017, 03:02 AM
I see what you did with Superposition, you're running 1080p medium. I'll run it at that setting at stock and overclocked.
Set everything at default but resolution at 2560/1440. ps...I'm rerunning the Unigine marks and editing above so don't be startled if they change.

Heini
06-05-2017, 03:04 AM
What settings are you using for Superposition?

I don't see a 1440p setting.

When looking at resolutions look for "Custom". It's kind of tricky to find.

Nate152
06-05-2017, 03:16 AM
Titan Xp stock

Titan Xp OC

Heini
06-05-2017, 03:32 AM
All scores are updated.... come an get me!

ps..Your attachments aren't coming through on our end.

Nate152
06-05-2017, 03:37 AM
LOL I'm chasing !

Can you see my scores now ?

Nate152
06-05-2017, 05:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f34jrIV1mDs

sdmf74
06-06-2017, 02:41 PM
Jeez my 980ti is nowhere near your titan, I didnt even know a new titan had been released

Nate152
06-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Yeah I don't know why Nvidia did that, the Titan X pascal should have been the Titan Xp. The Titan is supposed to be the full unlocked version of the architecture.

Nate152
06-09-2017, 12:57 AM
Here's a little bit of witcher 3, this game is pretty good even though I have no idea what I'm doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f-kt1hTWII

Nate152
06-09-2017, 04:15 AM
When I play games I don't get any cpu L0 cache errors but I got 2 when running the Realbanch benchmark, I hate to give the cpu anymore voltage as it passes the benchmark and games are playing fine.

CODE MAXIMUS
06-15-2017, 02:00 AM
Nate152 is back in bitness!

:D