Hi ,
Doing a new build ,
the system will not POST.

CPU is i7-7700k
dram is 4 stick of 8gb GSKILL F4-4133C19D-16GTZC
Video MSI GTX1080 DUKE
SSD NVMe WD black
corsair H115i cooling

with only 1 dram in any slot , any one of the 4 rams , system stops with q-code 55 no LEDS
insert all 4 drams , stops with DRAM led ON q-code AC
NEVER get any video

I know , the memory is not on qvl , but it should still boot with SPD default 2133
I want confirmation before i rma the pcb

Any clues ??????

Nate152
03-31-2017, 05:04 PM
Hi Gajets

That has to be G.Skill Trident z ram and should work no problem at default settings.

First two things to try is clearing the cmos then updating the bios with the bios flashback feature, cross your fingers and hope she boots.

mcleod52
03-31-2017, 05:21 PM
I had similar issues. I pulled the Video card and booted up using the native video on the Motherboard and things came up. INstalled the OS and such, then upgraded the BIOS and installed the Video card.

Worked for me, perhaps the same approach will for you.

Chino
03-31-2017, 10:50 PM
See if you can borrow a stick for DDR4 for testing.

Gajets
04-01-2017, 12:20 AM
Hi Gajets

That has to be G.Skill Trident z ram and should work no problem at default settings.

First two things to try is clearing the cmos then updating the bios with the bios flashback feature, cross your fingers and hope she boots.

Yes memory is gskill trident z , i tried taking video card out same results.....
Pulled cmos battery same result... never got to bios so screen, can't expect anything but default anyway..
Memory button goes through 3 cycles .... same result..
Ordered a single cheap asus QVL corsair 4 gig ram to try.. if that acts the same i guess it time to RMA the mobo.
I Hate DOA , it never booted to bios even once.... arrrgh

I have built many systems, over the years, never had one crap out like this...
My last setup is
asus p6x58d premium and it was rock solid, not like the gigabyte x38 and x48 i had before it.
My laptop is a rog g74sx , it's also a tank. so thought ROG for this monster build would be easy going.
Really sad this mobo is not so great so far....:mad:

Nate152
04-01-2017, 12:28 AM
Have you tried updating the bios with the flashback feature? You need preferably an empty usb flash drive formatted to .FAT32. After you extract it to the usb flash drive rename it to M9H.CAP

Then stick it in the ROG Connect port and hold the bios flashback button until it starts to blink, the blinking should slowly get faster and take about 90 seconds.

When it stops blinking start your pc.

Gajets
04-01-2017, 12:51 AM
Have you tried updating the bios with the flashback feature? You need preferably an empty usb flash drive formatted to .FAT32. After you extract it to the usb flash drive rename it to M9H.CAP

Then stick it in the ROG Connect port and hold the bios flashback button until it starts to blink, the blinking should slowly get faster and take about 90 seconds.

When it stops blinking start your pc.

Did bios update to latest still same

Nate152
04-01-2017, 01:24 AM
Thank you

I know this may sound funny but make sure you have your cooler connected properly, I saw another member with this same problem, we were all thinking it was his ram.

Chino
04-01-2017, 02:00 AM
Ordered a single cheap asus QVL corsair 4 gig ram to try.. if that acts the same i guess it time to RMA the mobo.

Cool. Keep us updated.

If the problem persists, try loosening the screws for your heatsink a little. If it's still a no go, remove your CPU and inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins.

CODE MAXIMUS
04-01-2017, 02:20 AM
I've never understood anyone that post they have a DOA when board cannot leave w/o passing QC-of course speaking device is not damaged in transit to consumer.

Sorry your having this issue, mem should boot to 2133, I hate to ask but is 8pin eatx pin connected and is that memory on the QVL? Something isn't jiving.

Gajets
04-01-2017, 12:10 PM
I've never understood anyone that post they have a DOA when board cannot leave w/o passing QC-of course speaking device is not damaged in transit to consumer.

Sorry your having this issue, mem should boot to 2133, I hate to ask but is 8pin eatx pin connected and is that memory on the QVL? Something isn't jiving.

I am not saying its DOA yet, But its still not working , still looking for reason.and possible fix.

My self being an engineer in the electronics bussiness for ever, i dont have as much faith in QC and factory testing as you, yes this does provide for a very very high quality and good product rate.

BUT never have i seen 100% no failures. The biggest culperate is this lead free solder, it is much more brittle than the older leaded solder. And that makes for intermittant behaviours.
Connection and cabling comes in second.
iC failures are the rarest failures these days, but still not unheard of.

In my current place,i have seen a fair amount of RMA reports of units that left working and arrived pristinee in packaging but returned as not working.

Gajets
04-01-2017, 12:25 PM
as a follow up,i tried every suggestion so far no change,

As for QVL, that specific pn is not on the asus list, different by only a "T" gskill says its qvl on the apex. but my only faith in QVL is when pushing the memory to it tested 4133 rate. Any ddr4 should work at 2133 , the native rate.

Gajets
04-01-2017, 10:05 PM
Ok , thanks for all the sugestion. Got it to run....

I am not fond of the asus exclusive cpu insertion tool. Makes you handle the cpu land side up to insert it in the tool. Under a microscope i found the tiny spec of debris that caused the issue.

In all my previous build, it was unpack the cpu land side down and drop it in the socket right away,
Once the cpu is in, I don't like taking it back out, but that is what it took this time.

Nate152
04-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Awesome, funny what a piece of dirt can do huh?

Good to see you found the problem. :)

mcleod52
04-02-2017, 03:21 AM
Glad you found the problem. I am not a fan of the CPU insertion tool either ...

CODE MAXIMUS
04-02-2017, 05:34 AM
Glad you got it Gajets, yea that installation tool has to be for 1st time builders but even so I found it almost worse as chip can fall out of the damn thing before you ever get it in lolz. No I wasn't saying that to you specifically Gajets, I was just saying it in general, I just saw someone said something about DOA and out of every electronic item I have purchased in my life I have yet to ever experience something that was DOA. As far as solder I work with the lead free stuff all day, I race electric R/C cars as my main hobby, been doing so for the past 20 so years before solder went lead free. Not sure if all the mainboards use it but we use solder with 2-4% silver content but what matters is your up and running.

jasonlay
04-04-2017, 09:22 PM
I have been a loyal Asus customer for years. I think I probably started with the Black Pearl P4PE. *I recently replaced my P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt with a new Z270 based Maximus IX Hero.

My mistake I think was following the somewhat lacking directions and attempting to use the install tool. This led to the CPU popping out of the tool and landing on the CPU socket, bending some pins on the socket.

Now I find myself in a predicament due to the fact that I have a dead motherboard. Is an RMA even a consideration in this case or does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

Nate152
04-04-2017, 10:57 PM
Hi Jasonlay

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Sorry to hear this Jason,

Unfortunately Asus will not warrant an RMA with bent cpu socket pins as it is user error. If there are only a couple bent pins you can try straightening them with a toothpick and a magnifying glass in good light. it's a delicate procedure and requires a good eye and a steady hand, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself you could take it to a jeweler and ask if he could straighten the pins.

If it's unrepairable you could see about getting the socket replaced which will cost around $150.00.

Chino
04-04-2017, 11:51 PM
I have been a loyal Asus customer for years. I think I probably started with the Black Pearl P4PE. *I recently replaced my P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt with a new Z270 based Maximus IX Hero.

My mistake I think was following the somewhat lacking directions and attempting to use the install tool. This led to the CPU popping out of the tool and landing on the CPU socket, bending some pins on the socket.

Now I find myself in a predicament due to the fact that I have a dead motherboard. Is an RMA even a consideration in this case or does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

With some patience and time, you can probably bend the pins back to their original position.

jasonlay
04-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Hey Nate and Chino thanks for the info and I'm glad to be here, lots of knowledgeable and friendly people

I did start going through the RMA process with Asus. *Told them what happened and got an email response saying to send in the board.

I am aware of their warranty restrictions so I'm going to try to talk to someone about it tomorrow to make sure they truly understand what is going on. *I feel the email I received was just some automated response, or they think the little piece of plastic they call an install tool is broken.

It looks like 4 pins are out of whack. *i thought about taking a safety pin to it, but will hold off for now. *I really need a magnifying glass if I want to go poking around in there, which I would like to avoid.

I doubt a jeweler would touch it since s/he wouldn't be familiar with the process. *Now if I knew one that would let me use their tools...*

Why oh why did I try to use that tool!

Chino
04-05-2017, 05:16 PM
The tool works fine but you have to make sure the CPU is "snapped" in it. I swap motherboards quite often so the install tool comes in handy for me. :)

SkynetDDS
11-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Hi guys !

Just bought memory G.Skill F4-4133C19D-16GTZA and have same MB MAXIMUS IX HERO - BIOS 1009
Can start system only @3733.
When trying higher frequency, CPU, RAM leds, are lighting up one by one, QLED show ... 01 ... 03 ...

Yesterday i bild new PC for my friend with 8700K on z370 STRIX - F, tried my memory on this MB and system started only @3900 ...

Both MB have lastest UEFI firmware.

Chino
11-25-2017, 01:24 PM
Try tweaking your VCCIO and SA voltages. Here are some guidelines:

DDR4 frequency range
Required CPU VCCIO Voltage range
Required CPU System Agent Voltage range

DDR4-2133 ~ DDR4-2800
1.05V ~ 1.15V
1.05V ~ 1.15V

DDR4-2800 ~ DDR4-3600
1.10V ~ 1.25V