PDA

View Full Version : Maximus IX Formula with i7-7700K Boot Loop and Freezing

WiryOne
04-01-2017, 07:03 AM
Hello All,

I have been having the most frustrating time with my new build and really hope somebody can shed some light on the issue.

Build:
ROG Maximus IX Formula (BIOS version 0906)
i7-7700K (with Kraken X61 cooler)
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000 32GB (2x16)
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk X
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Seasonic Flagship Prime Titanium 850W
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Issue:
The build went smoothly and the computer posted just fine. I poked around in the bios and confirmed that all components were being recognized and proceeded to boot to my Windows 10 USB. Started install and walked away for a bit; returned to a black screen. Restarted the machine and proceeded to get BSOD (Failed to Recover), complete lock ups or restarts.

The boot options list three devices; UEFI:General USB, M1 960EVO, and General USB

If I boot to the device labeled General USB, I'll get the Windows logo and some spinning circles before the computer locks up or restarts. Sometimes, I'll actually make it into the Windows Install UI or begin the install process, but it always ends up restarting.

If I boot to the UEFI:General USB, A ROG splash screen will appear with a spinning white dot circle. This always freezes and never restarts.

If I boot to the M1 SSD it will either BSOD (Fail to recover, something unexpected happened), restart on the windows logo, or freeze on the windows logo.

Attempted Solutions:
Cleared CMOS: No resolution.

BIOS Settings: Updated to the latest bios, no resolution. I've tried various combinations of CSM and Safe Boot options, none seem to make a difference.

RAM: I saw another user that had the exact same issue as I did which was solved by attempting to install windows with a single stick of RAM installed. I have tried each of the sticks in each of the slots with no resolution. I have not yet run a bootable memtest, that is on my agenda for tomorrow, it just seems unlikely that both pieces of RAM would be DOA.

USB Stick: Windows 10 media creation tool would not recognize my USB stick, so I had to use Rufus with a .ISO file; GPT Partition for UEFI, NFTS file system. Reformatted the stick and reinstalled the .ISO in the event that I had a corrupted file. I also tried installing my DVD drive and attempted to install Windows with the disc, no resolution.

SSD/HDD: I thought that maybe the M2 SSD was the issue, so I removed it and installed an empty SATA HDD I had available; no resolution.

GPU: In the event that my freezing issue was actually just graphical, I disconnected power from the GPU and ran off the on board graphics card, no resolution. Tomorrow I may try removing the GPU completely, in case I am having some sort of issue with my PCI slot.

CPU: Thinking that I may have over tightened the heat sink and bent the CPU, I removed the cooler, checked the CPU for damage and checked the socket for bent pins. Did not see any physical issues there.

CPU Cooler: I've tried disconnecting the USB header from the cooler to see if that was messing up the boot. The fans run at full speed and the BIOS gives a warning; the computer still tries to boot but exhibits the same issue; no resolution.

PSU: BIOS reads voltage levels from the PSU at the correct levels. I don't have reason to believe the PSU is the problem here.

Cry softly in the corner; no resolution.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to supply on this issues; I think I've hit the extent of the limited computer knowledge I have. I've been at this off and on for over a week and I'm starting to get discouraged.

Silent Scone@ASUS
04-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Firstly, can you confirm you are not applying XMP before attempting the install?

WiryOne
04-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Firstly, can you confirm you are not applying XMP before attempting the install?

AI Overclock was set to Auto, so I switched to manual and it did help with reliably being able to boot to the Windows USB and start the install. However, once Windows tries to restart the first time, everything goes back to throwing errors, freezing or restarting.

Chino
04-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Have you tried redownloading the Windows ISO file from Microsoft?

Also which USb pendrive are you using? If possible, try swapping pendrives.

WiryOne
04-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Have you tried redownloading the Windows ISO file from Microsoft?

Also which USb pendrive are you using? If possible, try swapping pendrives.

Yeah, I reformatted the USB with a freshly downloaded ISO using Rufus. Per my post, I also used my DVD drive and tried to install off the disk. Same result for both.

I think it's a Sandisk pendrive, from what I was reading, the media creation tool doesn't recognize them because windows thinks they are disk drives.

JustinThyme
04-02-2017, 12:49 PM
I would try using the media creation tool and a different USB drive. When the creation tool wont recognize it thats a flag to me. I just tried it on an 8GB Sandisk cruzer and a UEFI boot device was created without issue. didnt try installing but it loaded up just fine.

If not the media installing then the media installing to. If you post and wont get past the bootloader Id doubt its hardware other than the drive.

leerock360
04-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Leave ur ram on stock settings ie dont activate xmp and just runn the ram at default 2133mhz. It should run perfectly at 2133mhz. After u get windows installed u can tweak ur ram to 3000

WiryOne
04-03-2017, 01:23 PM
I would try using the media creation tool and a different USB drive. When the creation tool wont recognize it thats a flag to me. I just tried it on an 8GB Sandisk cruzer and a UEFI boot device was created without issue. didnt try installing but it loaded up just fine.

If not the media installing then the media installing to. If you post and wont get past the bootloader Id doubt its hardware other than the drive.

I am still not convinced that the USB drive is the issue because the same thing happened when I tried to install off the DVD. Same thing with the SSD, I tried to install to an extra HDD I had in my previous machine and it also did the same thing.

Over the weekend I tried to run MemTest86 off of a USB stick (different from the one I was using to install Windows) and MemTest exhibited the same behavior. It would start to run the test and then freeze up or restart. I doubt the memory is bad, as it should still run the test but find all sorts of errors, not freeze up or reboot.

At this point I think I am going to RMA the motherboard as the issue is persistent no matter what other hardware changes I make. If the MOBO doesn't end up being the issue I will try to RMA the CPU. After everything I've tested, I feel like it has to be one of those two things.

WiryOne
04-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Leave ur ram on stock settings ie dont activate xmp and just runn the ram at default 2133mhz. It should run perfectly at 2133mhz. After u get windows installed u can tweak ur ram to 3000

RAM settings were kept stock from the start, never changed it. After the initial suggestion to disable XMP did not help, I also tried modifying the RAM settings up to advertised (3000Mhz) to rule out undervoltage to the RAM as a potential issue. No change either way.

Nate152
04-03-2017, 02:22 PM
Hi Wiryone

For windows installation all I did was on the boot tab disable CSM and set Secure Boot to "Other Os".

If you have the windows installation DVD try that again. Insert the DVD, boot to the bios and reset to defaults. Change the two things above and select your DVD player with UEFI in front of it as Boot Option 1 then begin the installation.

WiryOne
04-08-2017, 12:02 AM

Update: I picked up a new USB drive, the windows media creation tool recognized it and I created a new boot drive. It did not fix the issues, if I boot to the device with UEFI preceding the drive name, the computer crashes as it tries to boot. If I use the non-UEFI option it it will sometimes boot but crash during installation or after the initial install when Windows does it's first reboot.

Tomorrow I am going to pull the PSU from my current machine to rule that out as the culprit. If that doesn't work I guess I need to flip a coin between CPU and Motherboard.

BlueScreen
05-03-2017, 09:28 PM
No one has posted to this thread in almost a month. I hope the issue is resolved.

I have similar issues with a similar build. I am certain that the freezes are not heat related. My CPU never exceeds 40c and I have never stressed it.

I am still working through the issues but I am pretty certain that the ASUS motherboard is not providing enough voltage to the CPU at Auto settings.

WiryOne
05-03-2017, 10:13 PM
No one has posted to this thread in almost a month. I hope the issue is resolved.

I have similar issues with a similar build. I am certain that the freezes are not heat related. My CPU never exceeds 40c and I have never stressed it.

I am still working through the issues but I am pretty certain that the ASUS motherboard is not providing enough voltage to the CPU at Auto settings.

I was able to resolve my issue and meant to leave an update here. Thanks for reminding me!

The issue ended up being a bad CPU. I missed my return period with NewEgg and had to go through Intel. When I explained my issue and gave the Batch number and serial number, they replied with "This processor is Defective" and issued me a refund. The certainty of their wording implied to me that perhaps they had an abnormal number of issues with that batch.

Before returning the CPU, I had RMA'd the Motherboard, which did not resolve the issue. That then prompted me to have a friend test my RAM in his machine; after that was confirmed working, it narrowed it down to the CPU.

Good luck with your issue, let me know if I can give any other input on the troubleshooting I went through. I know how frustrating it is, but if you are setting up a similar build to mine, she is worth it!