PDA

View Full Version : New G74SX Owner W/Questions

ShuckyDarns
01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
I just received my new Asus G74SX-DH71 and I canít wait to get it up and running! Iíve browsed through a lot of the threads here and have a pretty good idea of what I need to do to make sure my machine is running at its best, starting with a clean install of Windows 7 HP.

I have a few questions that I hope this wonderful community can answer. Here goes:

Which Touchpad driver do I use? Sentelic, Synaptics or both?

Which LAN adapter do I use? Everything in my laptop is stock.

Should I use the nVidia drivers marked official in JRd1stís thread or go with the latest beta version (290.53)?

Is it recommended to create a partition on one of the HDDs for the Windows 7 HP? If so, how big and how do I go about doing that? Also, how do I create a ďrestoreĒ partition?

What security program do you suggest I use? I plan on playing a couple of computer games exclusively, with some web browsing and blu-ray watching mixed in.

What are some solid choices for both free and paid blu-ray playback software?

I appreciate your help with all of my questions!

RavenJumpDash
01-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I kept the original partitions set up on my G74-SX, which came with a single 750gb hard drive. It is 279gb on C Drive and 394gb on D Drive. Not sure what happened to the other 77gb.

dstrakele
01-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Hi @ShuckyDarns,

I recommend holding off on the clean Windows 7 installation. Spend some time (I recommend at least a week) thoroughly testing every feature of your new laptop with the ASUS Factory OS installation. If you encounter problems, such as erratic touchpad movement, system lockups, BSOD's, etc.) consider returning the defective laptop to the retailer for an exchange to a new unit.

Since most failures of electronic components occur in the first few days of use, I recommend keeping your system running and busy during that first week.

On to your questions:

1) Check in Device Manager to see what touchpad is installed on your G74SX-DH71. You only want to use drivers for the hardware that actually exists on your system. Doing otherwise my cause problems.

2) I'm unsure what WLAN adapter is installed in your laptop. Again, determine that from Device Manager. If you do have an Atheros WLAN adapter, I recommend updating the driver to version 9.2.1.470 as one of the first things you do. You can find a link to download it, in the OP of the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread.

EDIT: OOPS! - I forgot you asked about the LAN driver rather than WLAN by the time I started answering the question. Brody is correct, you have a Realtek LAN driver. However, if you have an Atheros Wireless Network Adapter and the stock driver is earlier than 9.2.1.432, it is known to create a lot of DPC Latency which hinders the performance of your system . I'd recommend updating it right out of the box (or disabling it if you use only Ethernet LAN for your internet connection).

But if you don't have an Atheros Wireless Network Adapter, don't worry about it.

3) As I stated first, test your system for a week with the stock driver. If you do want to try the 290.53 beta (I currently run it without issues except for a small display problem on my external monitor that I can work around), I recommend installing it in Safe Mode, choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox.

4) I think it is a good idea to create a separate partition for the Windows 7 OS. I think a good initial size is somewhere around 60 GB. This will allow you to install updates and those few programs that always want to install to C:, and leave enough room to defragment. It's a matter of choice and others may have different recommendations.

If you don't want to wait a week to test out the ASUS Factory OS, you could install another instance of Windows 7 and use any beta drivers you wish. If you run into any problems with a beta, you then still have the option to boot into the working ASUS Factory OS. I've seen several web pages on how to create your own Restore partition - just google your question. Be aware you will not be able to access and deploy it by choosing F9 on startup like the ASUS Factory Restore partition.

5) I use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes AntiMalware. I've never had an issue with these utilities, plus the price (free) is right.

6) PowerDVD 11 Ultra is probably one of the more fully-featured and robust Blu-Ray players. You should at least try the trial to compare to any other choices.

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I just received my new Asus G74SX-DH71 and I canít wait to get it up and running! Iíve browsed through a lot of the threads here and have a pretty good idea of what I need to do to make sure my machine is running at its best, starting with a clean install of Windows 7 HP.

I have a few questions that I hope this wonderful community can answer. Here goes:

Which Touchpad driver do I use? Sentelic, Synaptics or both?
Which LAN adapter do I use? Everything in my laptop is stock.
Should I use the nVidia drivers marked official in JRd1stís thread or go with the latest beta version (290.53)?
Is it recommended to create a partition on one of the HDDs for the Windows 7 HP? If so, how big and how do I go about doing that?
Also, how do I create a ďrestoreĒ partition?
What security program do you suggest I use? I plan on playing a couple of computer games exclusively, with some web browsing and blu-ray watching mixed in.

I appreciate your help with all of my questions!

You need to look in Device Manager and see which touchpad you have...Sentelic or Synaptics...and only install that one driver.
All G74s use Realtek LAN....so you use the Realtek LAN driver.
It's up to you. I use the WHQL version, the latest official release, but apprently some gamers need a beta version to be able to play certain games. I suggest you use the WHQL unless you have a specific reason not to.
You already have a partition for Windows on the first hard drive. The easiest option is to just do the fresh install right over that one. Alternately, you can delete additional 1st HDD partitions and re-partition it the way you want.
You can't create a restore partition. Manufacturers put one on the hard drive so that you can restore their original installation, but you cannot make the same kind of thing for your own installation.
I've used Norton Internet Security for years, on a lot of computers, with no complaints. But there are lots of good options. Microsoft Security Essentials is an excellent free alternative.
I use PowerDVD 11....it's about $50 if you find it on sale.

AQUASTEVAE
01-10-2012, 09:59 PM
i agree with most of what dstrakele said, except the part about not doing the clean install, and sending the machine back if you have erractic behavior. first, i agree you should take a couple of hours to play with the system, and see how it is running. but several old software drivers will cause erratic behavior to the trackpad and keyboard, and that can be fixed with driver updates. you do not need to send the system back because of those.
one other thing is that i don't think you need such a big partition for the operating system, unless you just want it like that. i put my os on 125 gb partition, and only load the important drivers and programs on that partition with it. then i make another partition with the remaining space of that drive for all other programs. that way the partition with the os is not cluttered up with things that can mess it up. it also makes the backups of the os that much easier.

if you right click on "computer" and choose "manage", then when computer management comes up, click on "disk management". this will show you all of your partitions on your hard drives, and you can perform all resizing there.

i agree with everything brody said above, except for the norton security program. i got rid of norton a long time ago, as it uses excessive system resources. don't get me wrong, norton is a very reliable program, but i like a much lighter security program that sits in the background and handles business without being so obtrusive and demanding on the resources. i use avast internet security, and it has worked flawlessly since the day i started using it. avast is very light on your machine, and it keeps your system very clean. i hope this helps. good luck!

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 10:31 PM
i agree with everything brody said above, except for the norton security program. i got rid of norton a long time ago, as it uses excessive system resources.
Lol....every time I see someone critique NIS, they stopped using it a long time ago. ;)

The security software wars are just like the browser wars....they go through "phases" of competition. There was the period where they all kept getting bigger & heavier as they tried to compete on the "more features!!" dimension. But in recent years...just like browsers...they have been competing on the "lean & mean" dimension. The current NIS is a very smart, lean, and powerful program, with a really sophisticated firewall.

Competition is stiff amongst the security players, so I don't think any resource hogs could survive for long. I suspect all the big players are pretty comparable now, and one should probably try to select one whose strengths best match their own usage patterns.

AQUASTEVAE
01-11-2012, 10:14 AM
lol. i can always count on brody to come back with good information, and a strong point. ok, so while it's true that i haven't used norton in a while, are you telling me that it is less obtrusive and lighter on the system than avast? because avast has been true blue from day one, and i went through nightmares with norton.

ShuckyDarns
01-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all of the information so far! I decided to wait a bit before doing a clean install since that was what was suggested. Edit: I figured out my problem!

PILGRIM
01-11-2012, 03:00 PM
..What security program do you suggest I use? I plan on playing a couple of computer games exclusively, with some web browsing and blu-ray watching mixed in.

I suggest using Microsoft Security Essentials. It's light and it never gave me any problem with my gaming, web-surfing...
You also might want to try the all-in-one tool, Advanced SystemCare 5. It's simply a great help.

For the freebie, use the Cine Player that came with the G74 Driver CD. I use it for my 3D and Blu-Ray playback.
For the paid player, I suggest the PowerDVD 11 Ultra. I've tried it's 30-day trial and it was also great- and better than Cine Player.

fostert
01-12-2012, 03:23 AM
What security program do you suggest I use?
Linux. ;)

...(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Fibrocyte
01-12-2012, 11:59 AM
lol. i can always count on brody to come back with good information, and a strong point. ok, so while it's true that i haven't used norton in a while, are you telling me that it is less obtrusive and lighter on the system than avast? because avast has been true blue from day one, and i went through nightmares with norton.

Yes, we are telling you that. Both Norton products (Norton Internet Security & Norton 360) are extremely good, now. They have been for the past few years.

Symantec realized the issues with the software and addressed them. The products install super fast, use far less system resources, are not the slightest bit intrusive, and Norton has some of the best detection algorithms available. And all of this is out of the box - you can make some additional small tweaks to the settings to improve things even more but this really isn't necessary.

To summarize: Norton was bad/bloated and is now one of the best if not the best.

MorBlade
01-13-2012, 04:44 AM
I also recently purchased a G74SX and did a clean install. Thanks for excellent info by the way. Anyways, when I look in my Devices for Network I have the following.

Intel Centrino WiMAx 6150
Intel Centrino Wireless N-6150
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor #2
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Should I have so many? Heh sorry but first time I've had a laptop with that many Adaptors
Thanks
MorBlade

BrodyBoy
01-13-2012, 05:18 AM
I also recently purchased a G74SX and did a clean install. Thanks for excellent info by the way. Anyways, when I look in my Devices for Network I have the following.

Intel Centrino WiMAx 6150
Intel Centrino Wireless N-6150
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor #2
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Should I have so many? Heh sorry but first time I've had a laptop with that many Adaptors
Thanks
MorBlade
Most likely, you aren't using all those. Did you, by chance, install from the drivers disk? The reason you have so many is that you have installed drivers for every possible network device on your machine.

You have an Intel 6150 that includes My Wi-Fi and WIMAX capabilities, but I'll bet you don't use either of those. So you could have done without installing their drivers. (Obviously, if you use either....you do need the driver. BUt most people don't use those.)