PDA

View Full Version : Can you pry the keys off?

griftir
01-10-2012, 07:45 PM
I just received my laptop in the mail. I had it shipped overseas to an APO as I am currently serving in the Army. For some reason the "Y" key doesn't respond unless I push really hard on it. I flashed the bios to 203 and removed the KB filter and ATK drivers, and reinstalled. The issue still happens. The Y key is also defective in the BIOS or when booting into another OS.

I really don't want to RMA the unit since it will cost a lot of money to send from here. I'm wondering if it's possible to pry the key off the board to see if theres some way I can fix the mechanical issue.

Other than that, it's a great computer!

WhirledNews
01-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I don't know man, I would probably just RMA the POS, if you do pry it off or mess with it they can probably void your warranty and you will be left with a large paperweight.

dstrakele
01-10-2012, 08:03 PM
I have seen it recommended to just repeatedly press the offending key. It may help remove possible oxidation that could be causing the problem.

I would not recommend attempting to pry the key off.

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't know man, I would probably just RMA the POS, if you do pry it off or mess with it they can probably void your warranty and you will be left with a large paperweight.
+1

If returning it isn't an option, better to live with it or find a workaround until you get back to the States, where you can RMA it to Asus for a keyboard replacement. If you damage it, you may well lose that option.

griftir
01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm going to be here for a couple years. I just got off the phone with support. Apparently, my computer has a global warranty. I will be able to get it serviced from the center in Germany. That's good news I guess. Sucks that my brand new computer has a crippling issue though.

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 08:33 PM
But great news that you can get it fixed there! They should be able to replace the keyboard really quickly...you'll be back up and running in no time.

WhirledNews
01-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Just make sure you do a clean OS install when you get it back :p

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Just make sure you do a clean OS install when you get it back :p
Hmm? That has nothing to do with his issue, does it?

WhirledNews
01-10-2012, 09:31 PM
No, twas a joke...

AQUASTEVAE
01-10-2012, 10:26 PM
this might be nothing, but you said "reloaded" the atk drivers. if you reloaded the same version of the atk drivers, it would not fix the problem. before sending it in, i would update to the latest atk drivers and see if that fixes it, first. then if the problem still exist, by all means have them fix it. just a thought...

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately, Asus ATK programs do seem to get screwed up easily. (I think they are very sloppily-written....they just keep adding new DLLs on top of old ones...in our "current" G74 ATK package, there are files that are over 10 years old!) So in many cases, a re-install....or more accurately, a repair install.....is a good troubleshooting step.

griftir
01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I used the updated versions of the drivers, and it didn't work.

I opened up the BIOS and tested the key in the set password part and it was still doing the same thing. I'm like 99% sure it's a physical thing with the key. I wish I had the balls to just pull the key off and take a look. I don't want to break it though and void my warranty :(

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 11:09 PM
I used the updated versions of the drivers, and it didn't work.

I opened up the BIOS and tested the key in the set password part and it was still doing the same thing. I'm like 99% sure it's a physical thing with the key. I wish I had the balls to just pull the key off and take a look. I don't want to break it though and void my warranty :(
Yeah...tough call. I think you're right that it's a defective hardware issue. Just let Asus replace it for you....

griftir
01-10-2012, 11:48 PM
well i pulled the keys off gently and found some pretty amazing things.

pressing down directly on the rubber bits the Y key is indeed less responsive. However looking at the underside of the actual plastic key, the Y key has a little plastic bit that has been glued on to it, presumably to make it press down harder on the rubber bit. The other keys that I took off dont have this. I am hoping there's an explanation.

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/w5tqN

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the pics! It's a little hard to tell from your photos....what is the actual attachment? Are those little pressure clips at each corner...?

griftir
01-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Sorry i dont have a proper macro lens on my phone. its a little plastic circle sticker about a mm thick. And yes they are clips

dstrakele
01-11-2012, 12:06 AM
well i pulled the keys off gently and found some pretty amazing things.

pressing down directly on the rubber bits the Y key is indeed less responsive. However looking at the underside of the actual plastic key, the Y key has a little plastic bit that has been glued on to it, presumably to make it press down harder on the rubber bit. The other keys that I took off dont have this. I am hoping there's an explanation.

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/w5tqN

It appears the keyboard may have been tested with an attempt made (one that was not successful) to rectify the issue. That is more QC than I would have imagined.

griftir
01-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Well it was a ****e fix.

I challenge anyone having key issues to pull up the offending keys and see if the little plastic quick fix shim is there.

dstrakele
01-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Well it was a ****e fix.

Agreed! Definitely.... But I was sure they were just slapping these things together without even looking at 'em.

BrodyBoy
01-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Do they snap back on pretty easily?

griftir
01-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah they snap on super easy. The trick to getting them off is going in from the side with a tiny flat blade.

BrodyBoy
01-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Cool...you have provided a great service here, sir!

If you can determine whether it's possible to somehow "pad" the key to make it function better, that would be a HUGE help to many owners who complain of similarly resistant keys. If it's just a matter of popping off the covers and adding something like a square of tape, or a dab of dried glue....wow, that'd be a real boon.

Of course, none of this says much for Asus hardware, does it?

griftir
01-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Already a step ahead of you. I've been trying to find something to pad it to improve responsiveness. It works perfectly now when struck in the middle, but its still iffy when you catch it in a corner or on the edge.

I'm no engineer, any ideas?

BrodyBoy
01-11-2012, 12:37 AM
By experimenting, you probably have a good idea what the thickness needs to be.

Once I was pretty sure about the area that needs bolstering, and the desired thickness, I think I would try a dab of glue. (Let it dry, of course!!) With that, you could precisely define the coverage area, and add a little thickness at a time, if need be. Tape might be workable, but the pieces might be so small that they come loose and fall off with use.

dstrakele
01-11-2012, 12:50 AM
I didn't catch what model laptop you've got, but I'm guessing G74SX. If you have an Atheros Wireless Network Adapter, I think the DPC Latency of the stock Atheros driver could result in missed keystrokes - so it may affect your testing, making you think you didn't hit the key hard enough. Make sure if you're running an Atheros WLAN driver that it is version 9.2.1.432 or LATER.

Another thing you may consider is increasing the Character "Repeat Rate" and "Repeat Delay" in Keyboard Properties to maximum values. This'll make the keyboard more sensitive when typing. If you find you're getting double characters inadvertently, you can back off the "Repeat Rate" a scosh.

Another suggestion for missed keystrokes when typing in a Browser is to configure it to use "software rendering instead of GPU rendering" in the Advanced Settings.

griftir
01-11-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm just about 100% sure it has nothing to do with any software. I'm gonna make another thread with my findings and some better pics.

dstrakele
01-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Agreed - I'm also certain there is a hardware issue with your 'Y' key. But there are also software reasons for missed keystrokes. In fact, BIOS 202 for the G74SX and a later ATK Package were released as a fix for this issue.

Now that I've mentioned BIOS update - if you do decide to update, use the EasyFlash utility accessed FROM your current BIOS and put the BIOS file on a flash drive that is formatted to FAT32. This will give you the greatest chance of BIOS flash success. Any problems with a BIOS flash will render your system unusable and then you must send it to ASUS to recover. See http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/174395-bios-update-guide-asus-notebooks.html for all your BIOS flashing needs...