PDA

View Full Version : G750JW fans rev up ever so slightly, considering bios update or Fan Xpert 2

Amenophis
04-05-2017, 08:57 PM
For the past couple weeks or so, my fans on this G750JW rev up every couple minutes and then back to normal. This is not doing any gaming at all but only with a couple programs opened up.
I've thought of updating the BIOS from 208 to 210 but am half afraid to do that for fear of an explosion. Not sure that would help the fan issue anyway. I'm wondering if a program called Fan Xpert 2 would help. Please advise.

Zka17
04-05-2017, 09:30 PM
One more time: you won't get an explosion from a bad BIOS update! Stop being afraid of that!
Maximum can happen is that your laptop won't work...
Now, let's see if someone knows if Fan Xpert 2 would help your cause...

Amenophis
04-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Hopefully not an explosion nor a burst of flame shooting out the back of this unit from a BIOS update. Yes indeed, info regarding the Fan Xpert 2 would be interesting.

Amenophis
04-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Yes Zka17, it does seem I've come over to the right part of the forum for answers to my question. So far, so good. Very good!!!

Amenophis
04-07-2017, 04:41 PM
What does it mean when after updating BIOS and the computer will do nothing? This is related to the fan issue and since apparently no one is going to give a response to my first question, I shall ask the second. Again, this is (or was) related to the first question.

FirebirdTA01
04-08-2017, 08:42 PM
What does it mean when after updating BIOS and the computer will do nothing? This is related to the fan issue and since apparently no one is going to give a response to my first question, I shall ask the second. Again, this is (or was) related to the first question.

It depends on what you mean by "computer will do nothing." Do you mean it wont boot? Just black screen on power up? That would probably mean the bios flash was not 100% successful and probably killed it, sadly. Give some more info.

Also, if your fans just spike every now and then that might be fixed just by blowing them out with compressed air to clean them, get all of the dust out. Dust can build up on the vents/fans/heatsink fins and deteriorate their abilities to transfer heat effectively. A bios update rarely effects fan behavior of the sort.

EDIT:
Also, consider running a program to monitor component temperatures and see if anything is getting hot or has temps fluctuating. SpeedFan is one and there are several other good options available on the internet.

Zka17
04-09-2017, 12:47 AM
Computer will do nothing - means exactly that... won't turn on at all... how could I explain "nothing" better than that?

FirebirdTA01
04-09-2017, 02:51 AM
Computer will do nothing - means exactly that... won't turn on at all... how could I explain "nothing" better than that?

You can say "won't turn on." Now if you want my help...
What that means is that the bios didn't flash correctly, you probably bricked your motherboard. You can try resetting the cmos by looking for a small pin reset button on the bottom of your laptop. The DC jack and battery need to be disconnected, hold the reset button for 30 seconds. If you cant find a reset button you can hold down the power button for about 2 minutes or take out the CMOS battery. If you are lucky, your cmos will reset and you will be able to reboot your computer. Likely though, your bios is burned and you'll have to reflash it. I think this laptop has a recovery menu that can reflash your bios if you cant access it. Hold down CTRL+HOME then press the power button, continue holding the keys. A menu should come up where you can reflash your bios from a FAT or FAT32(dont know which one, use google) formatted usb stick with a specially named bios file on it. If no menu exists then you can do it with an AVR programmer or a device like the busPirate 4. You would probably just RMA it at that point, hopefully with a warranty. Good luck.

Amenophis
04-10-2017, 04:12 AM
My BIOS is ok. I was asking a question for a hypothetical situation. As to the fans spinning up a little bit every couple minutes, I have used compressed air and an ever so slight bit of dust came out but not much. Is it normal for fans on a laptop such as this to spin up like this? It's not a serious revving up but enough to be noticed. Further instruction will be so much appreciated. Thanks.

Amenophis
04-10-2017, 04:14 AM
ZKa, your explanation of "nothing" leaves me absolutely astounded. From a zero to ten, permit me to give you 10.

FirebirdTA01
04-11-2017, 10:55 PM
My BIOS is ok. I was asking a question for a hypothetical situation. As to the fans spinning up a little bit every couple minutes, I have used compressed air and an ever so slight bit of dust came out but not much. Is it normal for fans on a laptop such as this to spin up like this? It's not a serious revving up but enough to be noticed. Further instruction will be so much appreciated. Thanks.

If they're only revving up a little every now and then, then yes, it's 100% normal. If you're concerned there may be a deeper problem, install a temperature monitoring program such as SpeedFan. There are a few good ones for free on the internet, just ask around. Use one of the programs to check your CPU/GPU temperatures and see if anything is getting hotter than normal when the fans speed up. If they speed up when the temps spike, but that causes the temps to fall again and they slow back down, then they are working exactly as they are intended to be. If this is what's happening but you still want to stop it, try re-pasting your cpu and gpu with quality thermal compound such as ArcticSilver 5

Amenophis
04-12-2017, 03:14 AM
Did I offend anybody? The question still remains, why does my fans spin up every couple of minutes?

FirebirdTA01
04-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Did I offend anybody? The question still remains, why does my fans spin up every couple of minutes?

Refer to my last post please. If they only speed up every now and then, and not to 100% speed, it's probably normal. Install a temperature monitoring program and see if component temperatures rise before they speed up, and begin to fall after they're sped up, finally followed by cool temps and the fans return to 'normal.' This would be 100% as designed and expected. If you dont like this behavior, repaste your CPU/GPU with quality thermal compound. It will make your system run cooler than the day you bought it. If you do that, take advantage of having the system apart and clean your fans and heatsinks out really well. Note that taking apart your system will void your warranty, so if the temperatures aren't critically high and they behave as I described above, then you should probably just leave well enough alone. I hope this helps