PDA

View Full Version : (Z270F) No display after adding Ram

danbottomburp
04-06-2017, 07:26 AM
So, I built my Pc and installed 16GB of Ram (ddr4 3000mHz corsair vengeance LPX) and everything worked perfect, My dad then gave me another 16GB of the exact same memory so i went to install that but once i did so i get "No display" on my monitor, Can see fans on and motherboard lights on and everything but my monitor does not get a signal.
If i then remove the extra RAM and reboot it works perfectly, I have enabled XMP in the bios when i installed the original RAM , Could having that enabled on the 2 blocks in there already,screw up the new ram i try to add ? Like should i disable XMP and then install the new ram and then enable it again ?

I,m on the very latest version of bios , Well actually it`s (0801) as i saw some bad posts about the 0901, So wont upgrade for a while.

It`s so annoying having an extra 16GB of Ram sitting here and not being able to use them.

Can i get some suggestions please , And do you think me doing what i said earlier could help ? (disable XPM,install ram,enable XMP)

Windows 10 pro 64bit
I7-7700k
Z270F motherboard running 0801 bios

FuryA
04-06-2017, 10:07 AM
hi dan,,

Did You clean CMOS and try MemOK! button , and does it work?
Perhaps, can try different Ram for troubleshooting

danbottomburp
04-06-2017, 10:40 AM
hi dan,,

Did You clean CMOS and try MemOK! button , and does it work?
Perhaps, can try different Ram for troubleshooting

How do i do that "clean CMOS and MemOK"

The RAM i have in there now is 16GB of DDR4 , The other 16GB is the exact same RAM , But when i put it in making my system 32GB , I get "no display" on my monitor, As soon as i take them out , It all works perfectly again.

Chino
04-06-2017, 04:19 PM

As a sidenote, combinging memory kits, even if they are identical, is a no-no. In most situations, manual tweaking is required to stabilize the kits.

Menthol
04-06-2017, 04:29 PM
Mixing memory kits doesn't always work easily if at all, even if they are the same kits as they are not binned together, on the back I/O panel there is a clear cmos button that will reset your bios settings to all default, push and hold that in for a few seconds before installing the second memory kit to verify if it will boot on default settings, if it does then you will need to manually tune some bios settings for the memory to work properly, if it will not boot at default settings than you are out of luck

danbottomburp
04-07-2017, 08:32 AM
Mixing memory kits doesn't always work easily if at all, even if they are the same kits as they are not binned together, on the back I/O panel there is a clear cmos button that will reset your bios settings to all default, push and hold that in for a few seconds before installing the second memory kit to verify if it will boot on default settings, if it does then you will need to manually tune some bios settings for the memory to work properly, if it will not boot at default settings than you are out of luck

So i should have bought a 32GB kit and not two 16GB kits ?

Thats crazy to me , Why cant boards just work with two sets of identical Ram ?

Will try that advice though .

Chino
04-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Raja's Don’t combine memory kits! The meat and potatoes overview (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview) is a very good read.

danbottomburp
04-07-2017, 04:29 PM
I had no idea i couldnt combine the exact same brand of memory. I wish i got a 32GB set now :(
I mean i have 16GB of ddr4 3000Mhz but it would have been nice to be able to use the 32GB

Thanks for all the replies

Dan

Chino
04-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Try running them at their default speed (2133MHz) first. Then go from there. You might get lucky.

danbottomburp
04-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Try running them at their default speed (2133MHz) first. Then go from there. You might get lucky.

Well after building the PC we enabled XMP on the RAM in there now , Maybe i should disable XMP and then fit the extra RAM and see if they work ,And then enable XMP on them if it does ?

Thanks

Dan