PDA

View Full Version : One month of ownership impressions...

Trijicon
01-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Well, just passed one month of ownership with my G74SX - A1 and I LOVE IT...

I don't know if I got 'lucky' or what but so far this has been a TANK of a computer... I hope by posting this I am not jinxing myself.

I booted her up and she just worked out of the box for me. I did not do a clean install, I did not get rid of the 'bloatware', I did not update the BIOS... I didn't have to do jack, she just worked. The only concearn I had when I first got her was that the speakers sounded not that great but all I had to do was change the THX setting to external and they sound decent now, great for gaming and listening to the radio...

I even have the original NVDA driver and yes, it works on all games I have played with no hic-ups so far... I did try to update the driver and the new one wokred well in games but the CinePlayer for Blu-Rays did not like it as there was no picture with the movie while playing, I could hear the audio play with the new driver but had no picture... No biggie, I just rolled back the driver and all is working.

I have no keyboard issues, no WLAN issues and no trackpad issues at all really... Every once in a while the trackpad will re-activate itself with a mouse plugged in but still no biggie, I just uplug the mouse and plug it back in and all is fixed for the remainder of that days usage. Never happened while playing a game just when surfing the net.

Only other thing I did was put another 4GB of Crucial RAM into her to boost up to 16GB from the stock 12GB and it's running great with the Crucial, recognized the new RAM at boot up right away.

WIth all the problems I have read on here I just wanted to put this out there as I am sure most people come here looking to solve a problem or for research when looking for a new comp. Just wanted to let those researches know that there are good units that do work out of the box without having to have an engineering degree to get it all worked out.

dstrakele
01-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Good to hear, @TriJicon! For today's mass-produced electronic gadgets, I think it is important to prepare for a possible defective unit. Be aware of your retailer's return and exchange policy. You want to be able to easily return a defective unit or better, immediately exchange your defective unit for a new one.

When you get your system, test every feature completely:
- examine the display for stuck, bright, or dead pixels - or poor resolution, flickering on dark backgrounds at low brightness levels, etc.
- test all of the keys on the keyboard - including function key combinations
- test all ports on the system to make sure they function
- test the card reader
- test the touchpad, particularly when typing
- test the system audio performance
- test WLAN and LAN internet connectivity and performance
- run some stress tests, like furmark or Prime95
- run a chkdsk and memtest86 to confirm a sound file system and memory - get a SpeedFan Online Diagnostic Summary of your HDD(s)
- leave the system running and try to keep it busy for at least 48 hours - any electronic component failures are likely to occur in this time
- do any other tests you can think of...

If you do encounter a problem, go to a support forum or google your issue and see if there is an easy fix. Try a factory restore or a clean Windows 7 installation if you feel like troubleshooting. The key is if your system has issues right out of the box that cannot be easily resolved, it is best to exchange the system, or return it for refund. It is possible you may need to make more than one exchange to get a system without issues. My rule of thumb is if the third exchange does not resolve the problem (three strikes, you're OUT), then re-evaluate your purchase decision.

Avoid letting the retailer convince you to RMA the system to the manufacturer. Once you do that, the system problems are now YOUR problems and must be dealt with between you and the manufacturer. The retailer is off the hook. Let any problems with brand new systems be the retailer's or the manufacturer's problems.

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Good post. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are having the same experience as you...they just never visit forums to tell anybody about it. :)

(After reading your comments, I wonder if perhaps it's only the male versions that have so much trouble.... ;))

Trijicon
01-10-2012, 09:49 PM
LOL... My dogs are girls, my wife's a girl, my car is a 'she', my truck is a 'she', my boat is a 'she', my airplane is a 'she', my submarine is a 'she', guns are all 'she's' ... So yeah, my computer is a she as well ... :cool:

Got Skyrim and Assasins Creed coming in tomorrow... We will see how SHE handles them as well :)

Trijicon
01-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Hey that's it.... To all those having issues, just talk nice to her and make sure you have female computer and all is good!

AQUASTEVAE
01-10-2012, 10:20 PM
i'll stick with my male version, thank you very much. females tend to be too fickle and allow emotions to screw everything up sooner or later... they are all great when you first meet, but soon, that female gene kicks in and that is where the trouble starts! lol!!!

chrsplmr
01-10-2012, 11:57 PM
careful...we are thread'n (pun intended) on some thin thin ice..
...hold your nose.get politically.Correct.... metrosexual lappy....it is a G.....ooops...hahhahaaa
as long as ya hang brass ROG's on her...i dont care about the rest she is or isnt swing'n....
..you havent lived til ya HAD a high testosterone female rid'n ur GAMEON..'Specially not
one with a rage'n ROGon...hahahhahah..hurt me.

...new theme?? somewhere over the rainbow......oooooh no..
yep..i said it..

your welcome ladies.c.