PDA

View Full Version : Do not buy corsair SSD/suggestions for a replacement

tyrspawn
01-10-2012, 09:58 PM
So after succesfully installing my new ssd, a la http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8618-G74SX-XN1-SSD-installation&p=58046

I found that my computer would lock up at the "resuming" screen for windows 7. Originally thinking I merely had a malfunctioning drive, I started googling around, and apparently this is a systemic issue for all Corsair Force 3 ssds (http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=94440). MASSIVE SIGH, i am supposed to be leaving the country soon (With this laptop) and don't have time for this nonsense. The system works if I do a hard restart - but I shouldn't have to deal with this.

Questions:
Does anyone know of a good SSD which does NOT have issue with resuming windows after closing the lid?

Does anyone know a work around/fix (although I doubt it)? I already upgraded the firmware, ran windows update etc

Anyone else run into this issue?

BrodyBoy
01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
I've never owned a Corsair, but I have an Intel SSD in one laptop and a Crucial SSD in another.....never had any of those issues with either of them.

dstrakele
01-11-2012, 12:28 AM
The article you referenced was a workaround guide (with photos even!) for that issue. Did disabling Quick Boot in the BIOS not work for you or was unavailable in your BIOS?

tyrspawn
01-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Was not in the bios - and yes its a workaround guide but read the posts by people, the workaround does not work for anyone and on the last page people are still having problems with the same issue. The 1.3.3 firmware supposedly fixes the issue but it did not me for me or many people in that thread.

I posted in that thread and my posts were censored and deleted so im surprised there are any posts in there confirming the existence of this continued issue.

I am going to RMA my drive and get a another brand and I don't intend to ever buy another corsair product again.

Sorta paranoid about buying a new SSD - the 1 star BSOD reviews on newegg are disconcerting. I have a SSD in my desktop and it works fine, i guess i'll just take another leap and see if it turns out OK.

Looking at this guy for now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139601

The most hilarious part of this is the back of the corsair packaging where it says "ideal for notebooks" as it's main selling point. Yeah, it's ideal if your laptop doesn't rely on hibernation (i.e. no one).

dstrakele
01-11-2012, 01:45 AM
There are A LOT of funky issues related to Windows Power Management. Personally, I don't see sleep or hibernation as much of a time saver, particularly when it results in BSOD's or lockups. I try to avoid it at all costs. Plus, when you have something like Power4Gear in there (and I'm not saying YOU do) futzing with it, it sure sounds like asking for trouble....

Sleep or Hibernation does not allow for the recovery of memory leakage. The longer your uptime, the more applications you have open, the more certain you will experience a problem on resume.

tyrspawn
01-11-2012, 01:50 AM
I would like to be able to hibernate so my laptop doesn't go dead on trips - that's all.

Didn't have any issues with the lappy (and hibernating) pre-Corsair.

Do you have it set to shut off your laptop when you close the lid or?

You're making me double guess myself, should I just stick with this thing and turn off power saving?

dstrakele
01-11-2012, 02:02 AM
Problems resuming from sleep or hibernation (that don't involve Corsair) are not uncommon.

I do have my laptop configured to shut down when I close the lid. I would only choose sleep or hibernation knowing that the choice COULD result in lost work or possibly even require a rebuild of my system.

tyrspawn
01-11-2012, 02:03 AM
Problems resuming from sleep or hibernation (that don't involve Corsair) are not uncommon.

I do have my laptop configured to shut down when I close the lid. I would only choose sleep or hibernation knowing that the choice COULD result in lost work or possibly even require a rebuild of my system.

I see. Thanks. Maybe i'll keep this thing after all.

dstrakele
01-11-2012, 02:12 AM
And who knows... they could possibly resolve the issue in a future firmware update. But it is also NOT impossible that you actually experienced a different BSOD issue, one that involved some conflict with an application on your system and Windows power management.

tyrspawn
01-11-2012, 02:34 AM
And who knows... they could possibly resolve the issue in a future firmware update. But it is also NOT impossible that you actually experienced a different BSOD issue, one that involved some conflict with an application on your system and Windows power management.

On second thought I think this drive is FUBAR - it randomly gets stuck on "starting windows" then I have to either go into safe mode or repair mode and mess with it with 15 minutes. Not worth the hassle and ambiguity.

dstrakele
01-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Agreed - that type of behavior does not sound good at all...

tyrspawn
01-11-2012, 03:18 AM
I also thought maybe I inserted the wires incorrectly (on the board/mobo) or something to be causing all these issues, but i copied the windows image fine and it only seems to have issues booting into windows. Also in my experience if there is a seating issue it usually happens at POST, not during a specific event like booting into windows. It seems nice and snug. I observed no issues while actually in windows. The problem is with getting in and hibernating etc. Then again I only spent a few hours in windows.

cmbabbey
01-11-2012, 08:27 PM
I have the corsair force 3 120gb as my program drive in my g37sw, and it works fantastically. startup in under 10 sec, WE scores off the charts... wouldnt trade it for the world.

tyrspawn
01-11-2012, 08:59 PM
I have the corsair force 3 120gb as my program drive in my g37sw, and it works fantastically. startup in under 10 sec, WE scores off the charts... wouldnt trade it for the world.

I see, I guess mine is defective or something. That being said, the resuming/boot on issue does exist (see the rage in the thread i linked), maybe you lucked out due to different bios settings or something. I have a g74 sx.

I just shipped it out for RMA today, going to get a refund from newegg, and have that kingston i linked in here arriving soon.

Seile
01-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi tyrspawn,

welcome to the world of SSD :) You should not let your computer go to sleep or hibernate with SSD.
Currently, I would only consider Intel SSD's.
If you do a little research online about SSD reliability issues you will find tones of complaints. You might be surprise that SSD are far less reliable than the normal HDD.

I've replied to your previous thread about installing the SSD... you should really do a clean install of windows and not just image the old drive... Windows detects that you are installing on and SSD and automatically disable some options that might be harmful to SSD's. I also mention to install the SSD in the first HDD slot because that slot does not use the little wimpy cable for connection... sudden lost of power is very bad for SSD... thus I would put the SSD in the first slot and leave the normal 2nd hdd on the 2nd slot. I left my original/previous windows installation on the 2nd HDD because if the SSD dies on the road or when i'm working on something important.. I can easily just boot the 2nd HDD and have most of the programs there. Reliability is something I value, much more than speed. :)

tyrspawn
01-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. Just for the record, this is not my first ssd, i have one on my desktop and never had a problem with it, even minor.

I am going to take your advice and do a clean install, as already planned.

Also good tip with using the main drive enclosure, the second one is a bit iffy.. I feel like i installed it correctly but it's hard to tell. Everything is snug - not sure how else to determine ifi ts functioning 100%. I don't think that's an issue otherwise it wouldn't POST, right?

Did you use the recovery partition to install windows or burn a copy from the web and just use the cd key that comes with the laptop?

BrodyBoy
01-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. Just for the record, this is not my first ssd, i have one on my desktop and never had a problem with it, even minor.

Also good tip with using the main drive enclosure, the second one is a bit iffy.. I feel like i installed it correctly but it's hard to tell. Everything is snug - not sure how else to determine ifi ts functioning 100%. I don't think that's an issue otherwise it wouldn't POST, right?

Did you use the recovery partition to install windows or burn a copy from the web and just use the cd key that comes with the laptop?
Not the recovery partition....that can only do a factory restore of the OEM installation. You need to download a Windows 7 ISO to make an installer. You should also download all the required drivers ahead of time.

Seile
01-12-2012, 12:51 AM

I'm pretty sure its not coz you installed the hard drive wrong or any bad connections... Like you said or else the system would not detect the SSD at all. ;-)

ask a friend that has a genuine copy of windows home premium disc. Install windows home premium using the windows key on the bottom of your laptop... It will activate ;-)

tyrspawn
01-12-2012, 02:07 AM
I'm pretty windows lets you legally download ISOs from their website - the logic being ,you can't activate it if you dont have a key anyway.

dstrakele
01-12-2012, 02:32 AM
This is true. The OP of the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread has a link to a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ISO. I used for a clean Windows 7 install. There is also a link to ABR, which will backup and restore your current Windows Activation to the new Windows 7 installation.

Other Windows 7 versions are also available at the DIgital Rivers site. Your OEM Windows 7 license is only good for the Windows 7 version that came with your system.

BrodyBoy
01-12-2012, 02:34 AM
I'm pretty windows lets you legally download ISOs from their website - the logic being ,you can't activate it if you dont have a key anyway.
Yes, it's a perfectly legal way to do a Windows install. (Though Microsoft itself doesn't post the ISOs for the general public.) This is exactly how most owners around here do their clean installations.

tyrspawn
01-13-2012, 02:12 AM
So its hopefully the end of my ssd saga - got the new ssd, its working great, hibernation and sleeping works, no issues, its getting x2 the speeds of the corsair on crystal mark, have a nice clean install of windows.

Thanks for putting up with my noob questions guys!