PDA

View Full Version : G752VS: Memory, SSD, HDD Upgrade + Video Playback Issue

chris.g
04-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Hi All,

first: One day i want to upgrade my G752VS. I now have 16GB, i would like to buy 32GB. Any circumstances which i didnt recogniced to upgrade to 48GB? Is 2x 8 GB and 2x16GB an issue? I cant update the 2x 8GB because i dont want to open the whole case. What are the recommended specs of new RAM?

Same: I want to upgrade one day the 256GB SSDs. I had one SSD laying around which in put in now, so now 2x 256 GB which is not much. I plan to have 1TB SSD for Windows and a second 1TB SSD for Games (ME:A is around 50GB big..... wtf). As well i want to change the 1TB HDD to 3-4 TB HDD. Anything i need to know?
BTW: What is this strip on the first SSD? Some Heat exchange? Never saw this on an SSD. Is it an issue not to use such heat exchange?

Yesterday i wanted to watch a movie. VLC. Connected with HDMI with my TV. Energy settings - close the laptop should do nothing. BUT - VLC stops playing. When i use WIN-P and only TV as Screen - VLC stops playing. Can anyone confirm? Is this a VLC problem or an G752VS Problem? I would like to put my full attention on my big TV screen, not the annoying notebook screen.

In general, i am very satisfied with my G752VS. I was considering an HP Omen 17 (with 4K Display), but i am glad i have this because the possiblity to change HDD and RAM easily is worth alot. And Thunderbolt - i wonder if an future big graphic card can be conneted to use the laptop for years until i have to buy a new one. I only have one thing to complain: I wish they have ethernet, one usb port (mouse) and the power plug at the back or all at the left side.

Sheltem
04-12-2017, 07:45 AM
Is 2x 8 GB and 2x16GB an issue? I cant update the 2x 8GB because i dont want to open the whole case. What are the recommended specs of new RAM?

It would be best not to mix memory sticks (and/or) kits if possible. However, as the SODIMM factor RAM usually does not have XMP and is hardly overclockable in general, this greatly decreases the chances you'll run into trouble.

Primary issue with mixing different size RAM is the fact that smaller sized RAM sticks will pretty much always have smaller latencies. Obviously, BIOS will do some form of "auto-negotiation" and select some "compatible" timing table. Which usually works, but that's all to say about that. Do not expect rated performance when doing so, it is very likely that the performance will be less than the slower of the two performances the mixed sticks are rated at.

if you do wish to mix sizes, then pick something that has compatible entries when comparing the timing tables.

Even if you decide to add 2x 8GB, the same applies, you should avoid mixing kits, but if you do decide to do so, then lowest to highest chance of possible issues:
Same make & model, same manufacturing batch > same make and model, different manufacturing batch > any make and model, same timing table > any make and model, different timing table

BEST OF ALL, would be to buy a kit that consists of 4 pcs of the RAM stick of your choice (that means replacing the two built-in sticks). This is mainly because the potential issues caused by mixing sticks/kits are usually quite obscure and might not manifest in a way that would allow quick identification.

As well i want to change the 1TB HDD to 3-4 TB HDD. Anything i need to know?
I know that someone had found a 2TB HDD that fits in a 9.5 mm enclosure, but anything above that capacity is strictly "enterprise" grade, which means 12-16 mm (you can check this on any 2.5" HDD) - if you want that kind of storage space, you are forced to have the HDD externally; either by buying an external one and attaching via USB or manipulating the case to have SATA3 and internal power accessible outside.

BTW: What is this strip on the first SSD? Some Heat exchange? Never saw this on an SSD. Is it an issue not to use such heat exchange?
Simple heat conducting tape, to ease the heat transfer into the heatsink (metal plate) above it.

Since there is a designated heatsink, it really makes sense to use the tape. Technically, there is no issue in not using one, but bear in mind that when M.2 SSDs reach a certain temperature threshold, they throttle their performance. And yes, that's the worst that can happen.

Clintlgm
04-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Hi All,

first: One day i want to upgrade my G752VS. I now have 16GB, i would like to buy 32GB. Any circumstances which i didnt recogniced to upgrade to 48GB? Is 2x 8 GB and 2x16GB an issue? I cant update the 2x 8GB because i dont want to open the whole case. What are the recommended specs of new RAM?

I would Install hwinfo74 and run it. This will show you the exact RAM sticks you have and match them for every thing except put in 2 8GB or 2 16GB you have to match at minimum the timings and Voltage.

Same: I want to upgrade one day the 256GB SSDs. I had one SSD laying around which in put in now, so now 2x 256 GB which is not much. I plan to have 1TB SSD for Windows and a second 1TB SSD for Games (ME:A is around 50GB big..... wtf). As well i want to change the 1TB HDD to 3-4 TB HDD. Anything i need to know?

You have two M.2 slots and M.2 NVME SSD come is sizes up to 1 TB and you have one SATA 2.5" Standard hard drive slot. I think still in 2.5" format SATA SSD are limited to 1 TB. Now them I believe that 2.5" hard drives are now available in 2 TB size you'll have to research the slot will only handle 2.5" X 9.5mm thick drives. Your optical drive can be replaced with a 2.5" SSD or Hard drive Again I think your limited to 9.5mm thickness drives. Your see 12mm to 15mm 2.5" hard drives out there but the won't fit.

Yesterday i wanted to watch a movie. VLC. Connected with HDMI with my TV. Energy settings - close the laptop should do nothing. BUT - VLC stops playing. When i use WIN-P and only TV as Screen - VLC stops playing. Can anyone confirm? Is this a VLC problem or an G752VS Problem? I would like to put my full attention on my big TV screen, not the annoying notebook screen.

In general, i am very satisfied with my G752VS. I was considering an HP Omen 17 (with 4K Display), but i am glad i have this because the possiblity to change HDD and RAM easily is worth alot. And Thunderbolt - i wonder if an future big graphic card can be conneted to use the laptop for years until i have to buy a new one. I only have one thing to complain: I wish they have ethernet, one usb port (mouse) and the power plug at the back or all at the left side.

This is all I can help you with other may chime in to help you with the external monitors My thought would be to just hook up HDMI OR display port. to connect and go into your power setting Settings/control Panel/power settings and set your lid to do nothing when closed. that should solve your problem? this in not my area of expertice I just use my notebook screen.