PDA

View Full Version : ROG Xonar Phoebus Sound Card Announced

_
01-12-2012, 04:17 AM
http://rog.asus.com/62712012/news/rog-xonar-phoebus-soundcard-announced/

Note this is just a first look ;) Launch announcement will be coming soon!

InnervateD
01-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I can't wait for it. Been wanting a nice soundcard to go with my R4E setup.
I've seen some pics of the breakout unit's cables from the soundcard to the headphone plug unit where it's braided with the sleeving, and then I've seen some other pics where it looks like a regular plastic cables with no braided sleeving.

What's the final product going to look like? Sleeving or no sleeving? The one in the pics with the sleeving looks pretty nice but those look like concept/prototypes/engineering samples.

Is this what the final product will look like?
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/medium/2012/01/Asus-Xonar-Phoebus-ROG__3_.JPG

DaemonCantor
01-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Sounds Sweet! About time Asus updated the Xonar and with a Real BANG!....lol Creative Labs has had reign too long!

dmandn
01-12-2012, 11:55 PM
I thought the main thing people wanted the thunderbolt for was the Xonar + hardware NIC (killer nic) in one card, so that those with multiple graphics cards could have dual ethernet and decent xonar sound.

Myk SilentShadow
01-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Well, it does look pretty sweet. Such a shame that my SB Live! 5.1 is still kicking hard after 10 years of daily extended hours use lol. But if this is as good as it looks and my card happens to go on the fritz ~hides a sledgehammer behind his back with an evil grin~ and the price point on this card is right, here in Aus, I just may purchase one. I will be keeping an eye on this card, just in case.

Oh and good work on making this an actual individual item for sale Asus and RoG Heads!!!! i'd have been seriously annoyed if this was bundled with a board I don't want or need...there really is no need for division of the brand types(AMD Vs Intel) that you guys package items with one side or the other, that's for other lamer companies to do...not ASUS/RoG :P

Eldonko
01-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Agreed, I think that would be ideal. This looks like a nice soundcard though.
I thought the main thing people wanted the thunderbolt for was the Xonar + hardware NIC (killer nic) in one card, so that those with multiple graphics cards could have dual ethernet and decent xonar sound.

InnervateD
01-18-2012, 05:24 PM
My question is when can I expect this? end of Q1? Q2? Q3?

Reaper-S117
01-18-2012, 11:39 PM
cant wait, this will go great with the system im building

_
01-19-2012, 12:12 AM
My question is when can I expect this? end of Q1? Q2? Q3?

Sooonishh ;)

dedaciai
01-24-2012, 05:54 PM
I am in the market for a new sound card and headset. Will there be a chance the Vulcan headset and this sound card be bundled together?

_
01-25-2012, 02:14 AM
Dedaciai - No plans currently. The two will be stocked separately.

Hans
01-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Hello Guys

Only thing I want to know when it's coming out my old is down the drain and i need despertly a new one

InnervateD
01-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Here's something cosmetically I've noticed. The light up part on the side of the card that's supposed to light up red reading "Xonar Phoebus" will be blocked out if anyone has a SLi/Crossfire Bridge if the card is sandwiched in between cards >.<

I think it's already too late for any changes to something like that to be moved further back :(
I would have loved to see a lite up ROG Logo before the Xonar Phoebus text.

Azagathoth
02-02-2012, 05:30 AM
I'm really looking forward to these. I want to replace my creative cards. I'm so sick of their terrible support.

dedaciai
02-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Yes, this card definitely needs to come out sooner than later :D. I have read some of the reviews of creative's new cards and the consensus seems like they are duds.

_
02-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Sorry guys, we don't want to say when it's ready until we're absolutely sure it's ready. Hope you understand!

I think if you're absolutely desperate for a new card, don't hold out for this one now: get a Xonar of your choice. but if you're contemplating a upgrade post next gen Intel chips - keep this on your list. :D

artrokil
02-13-2012, 11:21 PM
I like beer! http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/4151/30285560.gif

dedaciai
02-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Nope, I will be waiting for this card so it can play with my matching Asus Vulcan headset. :o....

Isaccard
02-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Sorry guys, we don't want to say when it's ready until we're absolutely sure it's ready. Hope you understand!

I think if you're absolutely desperate for a new card, don't hold out for this one now: get a Xonar of your choice. but if you're contemplating a upgrade post next gen Intel chips - keep this on your list. :D

Sounds like it's coming a tad later than sooner, but I'll wait for it. Just from the article this is definately my sound card of choice.
It's be a great fit with my Maximus IV Gene-Z. ;)

dedaciai
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Sounds like it's coming a tad later than sooner, but I'll wait for it. Just from the article this is definately my sound card of choice.
It's be a great fit with my Maximus IV Gene-Z. ;)

Yep, you are right. It does sound like it will be a little later than planned. If my memory serves me right, the Vulcan was shown at last year's CES,but did not come out till August. So I am going to assume an August launch, haha.

In any case, I think Asus' timing is pretty good with this card assuming it comes out this year. Creative's X-Fi cards and a lot of other cards are getting a little long in the tooth and Creative's newest cards have received a tepid welcome at best so I would assume there is a somewhat healthy interest right now in people looking to upgrade their sounds cards -just my two cents.

LeandroJVarini
02-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Any predictions for this wonder out?:D

Isaccard
02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
When's this beast card coming!? I cant wait to drop it in to my new build. :D

Algenthor
03-02-2012, 06:21 PM
when is the release of this creature

dedaciai
03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Maybe there will be more information on a release date during CEBIT...

Algenthor
03-07-2012, 02:26 PM
maybe, creative recon3d is better idea rather than "waiting for unknown"

dedaciai
03-13-2012, 05:27 PM

Hi MarshallR,

Now that CEBIT 2012 is over, do you think you could give a better idea of when this beast of card will launch? :p I heard Asus did not have a booth at CEBIT, but I still figured I would ask :-)

audiofreak81
03-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. Teaser for it a few months back and now nothing. No word, no hints, its like they changed their minds about bringing it out.

_
03-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I've just today confirmed the Phoebus should be with us by May (depending on your regional distribution speed), with some launch news eeking out in April.

dedaciai
03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
I've just today confirmed the Phoebus should be with us by May (depending on your regional distribution speed), with some launch news eeking out in April.
:cool::D:cool:

Xtreme-Performance
05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Can you please update me for the price check for this beast? Thanks in advance! :)

Also price check for just the sound card and the sound card gaming set...

thegovernment
05-05-2012, 05:21 PM
The card is $199 on any of the sites it's currently up on.

thegovernment
05-12-2012, 02:26 AM
My card shipped from NCIX and I'll have it on Monday. I guess that means they should be shipping everywhere very soon!

Raja@ASUS
05-13-2012, 09:08 AM
My card shipped from NCIX and I'll have it on Monday. I guess that means they should be shipping everywhere very soon!

Cool, let me know how you get on with it. Subjective and objective review would be appreciated if you have the time to do it :)

dedaciai
05-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Hey Raja,

I just got my card. I have not been able to game with it yet. However, it sounds great with my music! My question for you is when will the Asus Product Registration (i.e. the Asus Member Home) site have an option to click on the Phoebus? I like to register all of my products and it seems to have all the other cards listed just not the phoebus.

Thanks in advance!

Raja@ASUS
05-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Hey Raja,

I just got my card. I have not been able to game with it yet. However, it sounds great with my music! My question for you is when will the Asus Product Registration (i.e. the Asus Member Home) site have an option to click on the Phoebus? I like to register all of my products and it seems to have all the other cards listed just not the phoebus.

Thanks in advance!

Should be soon, I don't usually deal with that side of things (it is up to HQ to sort) but I will pass the info along.

-Raja