PDA

View Full Version : G751jy - power/charging issues

LPittenger
05-03-2017, 03:05 AM
I"ve got a G751 that's less than a year and a half old.

For the past month or so, it has been sporadically losing power during use. This seems particularly true during times of higher GPU usage.

For a while wiggling the cord would return power. Then it got to the point where power would flicker in and out. Then it wouldn't draw power if a GPU-intensive program was in the foreground.

It is now at the point where the computer will not draw power at all, save when it is turned off. Meaning that I can use the laptop for only about 90-120 minutes (the life of the battery) before I have to power down and wait for it to recharge again.

And, sometimes, when I plug in the power at that point, it doesn't even recharge. I have to try several times before it begins to draw power and recharge the battery. Took me a dozen tries the other night.

I changed brands from Dell to Asus because of Dell's horrible overpriced badly designed power cables/blocks and lousy power jacks. I'm ready to do so again.

First, though, I'd like to try to fix the G751. So ... two questions:

(1) Is this problem likely to be on the dc board? ... I've enough tech savvy to put a new one in, but I don't want to do so if that's not likely to be the problem.

(2) Just how close a match does the chip have to be. I've found a whole lot of dc board chips on ebay and elsewhere for various flavors of the G750-G752 family, but very few to match my exact specs (which is the 60NB06M0-dc1050) ... I've found a dc1020 version ... and I've found a 'G0' version of the -dc1050. Not knowing exactly what all those numbers mean, I don't know how to evaluate when sellers claim it's compatible with a G751jy ... or even how close is close enough.

thanks!
LP

SreckoM
06-17-2017, 08:25 AM
I have exactly same problem on G751JY ... Did you resovled it?

JustinThyme
06-17-2017, 09:55 AM
Every G751jy charging issue ive seen ended up being the battery. There is no DC board in these machines. A lithium balancing charger is built into the mother board and the brick just provides DC in.

SreckoM
06-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Can that battery be replaced? It started happening all of sudden, after year of using it. Now I am having strange things happen, like I stress test it wih prime and furmark, and on first furmark test it started showing like On Battery, than after sec Plugged and doing that like few times. Like I am unpluggin power. Prime test went without problems. Than I tried RealBench Stress, and as soon it starts it shows same, On Battery / Plugged notes, for a few times. Also after using CPU Burn from Furmark, for more than 5 min, I got several glitches while doing test, machine freeze for a sec .... Not sure what is going on now. CPU Temp goes up to 94degrees, after more than 20 min of stress test.

Jon G
06-19-2017, 10:48 PM
I recently experienced a charging issue on my G751JY notebook where the charge kept dropping off
& not recharging despite always being plugged in. At first I thought it was a bad battery. Turns out it
was a problem w/ my USB Razor Death Adder Chroma mouse had bad wiring (my cats chewed on it, lol)
causing the issue. As soon as I removed the faulty USB mouse the notebook charged back to 100% and
has been holding btw. 96-100% charge ever since.

SreckoM
06-21-2017, 08:23 PM
I think it is hardware issue for me. On load, while rendering with Blender, it is freezing for a few sec, eventually Blender will crash, even temp does not go over 90C ... Best thing is that warranty expired 2.5 months ago .... this is second Asus laptop I purchased, and I paid this one a lot. First one was 3-4x at service due power jack constantly breaking on board. And now this. And 2 days ago I purchased 1080Ti Asus, I hope that one will not behave like these ... but definitely that is last thing I purchased from Asus. Pretty disappointed.