PDA

View Full Version : Asus ROG G752VY Thunderbolt 3 firmware-upgrade (2017-5-12)!

Gustave
05-12-2017, 05:26 PM
For those interested:

There is an update (https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VY/HelpDesk_Download/)at the G752VY support site regarding the Thunderbolt 3 adapter. It prepares the G752VY for the XG Station 2.

Cheerio!

diogogmaio
05-12-2017, 08:57 PM
For those interested:

There is an update (https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VY/HelpDesk_Download/)at the G752VY support site regarding the Thunderbolt 3 adapter. It prepares the G752VY for the XG Station 2.

Cheerio!

I don't see anything new .... ?!?!?

Gustave
05-12-2017, 10:31 PM
It wasn't there yesterday!!

CladMaster
05-13-2017, 03:30 PM
I can confirm that the firmware is there for the G752VL as well.

Please note:
There is no update for the models listed below (I looked today), so they may not need the firmware update, maybe someone can confirm this.

ROG G752VM
ROG G752VS OC Edition (7th Gen Intel Core)
ROG G752VS
ROG G752VSK

UPDATE: 8/20/2017

If you are having problems updating the Thunderbolt firmware to the latest version download all the Thunderbolt firmware files for your laptop from the correct download section and flash them in order using the steps below as a guide.

If you have firmware 10, flash the next one above that ... ie ASUS Thunderbolt firmware Update NVM_v10_TI_v1.3 to ASUS Thunderbolt firmware Update NVM_v13_TI_v1.3

Once you have updated the firmware(s) in order, you should be able to flash the latest one.

UPDATE END

Thunderbolt Firmware update for the following ------- G752VY, G752VT and G752VL

There are two downloads under "XG Station 2", download both files, make sure you are in the support area for your laptop model ie G752VY, G752VT or G752VL etc. (See the support page for your laptop model, download the correct files, more details below).

Install as follows.... for all G752 models VY, VT and VL.

Step one

Warning -- Download the correct BIOS file for your laptop before you flash it, always double check before you flash the BIOS, if in doubt, delete the file and start again.

Make sure you have flashed the latest BIOS to your G752VL / VT / VY (See the support page for your laptop model and select BIOS and download the latest one and flashed it).

Uninstall any Thunderbolt driver / software that you have on the G752xx and reboot.

Install the new Thunderbolt Driver and reboot.
NEW
Thunderbolt Driver -- Version 16.3.61.275
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94002-NEW-Intel-Thunderbolt-Software-Driver-Version-16-3-61-275-WHQL

Step two

Please note the 'xx' in the model name .... ie G752VT (G752xx), make sure you download the correct Thunderbolt Firmware for your laptop as detailed below

G752VL >> G752VL_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip
G752VT >> G752VT_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip
G752VY >> G752VY_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip

The new Thunderbolt firmware is double packed in this file >> G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip. Unzip the file using WinZip or 7-ZIP.
Find the file named >> Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx.7z This file needs to be unpacked using WinZip or 7-ZIP.

You will now have a folder called >> Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx and inside that the same folder again (Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx)
eg, (x:\Asus G752\eSupport\ThunderBolt\G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Sta tion2\G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2\Update_V1.0.1. 0 G752xx\Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx)

Step three --- Flash the update

Make sure that the Thunderbolt software is running, there should be a Thunderbolt icon in the right side of the start bar next to the clock (see picture below).
Make sure that there is no device connected to the USB-C / Thunderbolt port on the laptop.
Run the file Update.exe that's in the folder called 'Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx' and click on Update.
Wait for the update to complete, it can take up to 2 minutes.
When done, shutdown the laptop (do not do a Restart)
Pull the power lead and wait 10 - 20 seconds and plug the power lead back in and restart the laptop.
Run the Thunderbolt software.
Right click the Thunderbolt Icon on the right side of the Start Bar (task bar).
Click on settings
Click on Details
You need to have the following as shown in the picture below. If for some reason you don't see NVM Firmware of 21.00 or PD Firmware of 1.07.06, do step three all over again.

Faberge
05-14-2017, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the guide, Clad. Today I was able to update the FW on my G752VY as well. The TB controller with the last version shows the available eGPU support (prev. lacked). The XG2 Tool also states that the graphic station is connected to the notebook successfully. Yet I cant find where the external GPU can be paired with the notebooks screen, as it is considered to be "inactive" in some Nvidia's tool (second icon from the left in the Task bar on your picture). So in games there is no increase in performance, as only internal card is considered to work with the display.That still puzzles me.

arestavo1
05-14-2017, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the guide, Clad. Today I was able to update the FW on my G752VY as well. The TB controller with the last version shows the available eGPU support (prev. lacked). The XG2 Tool also states that the graphic station is connected to the notebook successfully. Yet I cant find where the external GPU can be paired with the notebooks screen, as it is considered to be "inactive" in some Nvidia's tool (second icon from the left in the Task bar on your picture). So in games there is no increase in performance, as only internal card is considered to work with the display.That still puzzles me.

If you're trying to use an external GPU dock, like the XG Station 2, you'll need to connect an external display if your laptop supports GSync. Says so right at the bottom of the XG Station 2 page "*if your notebook supports NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology, an external display being connected to ROG XG station 2 is required to utilize the graphics card in ROG XG Station 2."- https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards-Accessory/ROG-XG-STATION-2/

BoutTime01
05-14-2017, 07:17 AM
So interestingly if I click on the link and change the model to the G752VT, the website shows the Thunderbolt port as supporting speeds upto 40gbit/s instead of 20gbit/s. So the question I've ever been asking all along is can my G752VT support 40gbit/s?
If yes then I may still opt for an XG Station 2. The fact they have rolled out software support for it makes me think the TB supports the higher speeds otherwise they wouldn't have bothered as 20 Gbits/s is nowhere fast enough to utilise the XG Station 2. It would be no quicker than the built in mobile GPU.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CladMaster
05-14-2017, 07:49 AM
So interestingly if I click on the link and change the model to the G752VT, the website shows the Thunderbolt port as supporting speeds upto 40gbit/s instead of 20gbit/s. So the question I've ever been asking all along is can my G752VT support 40gbit/s?
If yes then I may still opt for an XG Station 2. The fact they have rolled out software support for it makes me think the TB supports the higher speeds otherwise they wouldn't have bothered as 20 Gbits/s is nowhere fast enough to utilise the XG Station 2. It would be no quicker than the built in mobile GPU.

I am still trying to get this verified with the speed of the USB-C / Thunderbolt port. As soon as I have some info I'll post it here.

BoutTime01
05-14-2017, 08:21 AM
I am still trying to get this verified with the speed of the USB-C / Thunderbolt port. As soon as I have some info I'll post it here.
Thanks. I've been trying too and was told it is 20Gbit/s but they were on using the Asus product support site fire reference which have been shown to be wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CladMaster
05-14-2017, 11:57 AM
The Thunderbolt 3 Tech Brief (visit the link below) gives more details on how the technology works.
https://thunderbolttechnology.net/sites/default/files/Thunderbolt3_TechBrief_FINAL.pdf

Based on what I have read in this brief (PDF), it would suggest that the USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 port on the G752 laptops operates upto 40Gbp/s.

But, and here is the BUT .....

...... this all depends on how ASUS has hardwired the USB-C port and the controller(s) on the main board of these laptops.

If only 2 lanes are used, this would restrict the laptops to 20Gbp/s, which is the same as Thunderbolt 2.
I hope that this is not the case.

I am trying to find a way to test this and to see if the port is in fact 40Gbp/s enabled.

The test factor is limited at the moment, there seems to be a void in the way of Thunderbolt 3 devices that are within ones price range to carry out such tests.

I have one option that's being tested, an update will follow if it's relevant.

BoutTime
05-14-2017, 05:48 PM
The Global webpage for the G752VT says 40Gbit/s

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VT/

The UK webpages for the G752VT say 20Gbit/s

https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ROG-G752VT/
https://www.asus.com/uk/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VT/

diogogmaio
05-15-2017, 11:47 AM
I can confirm that the firmware is there for the G752VL as well.

There is no update for the models listed below (I looked today), so they may not need the firmware update, maybe someone can confirm this.
ROG G752VM
ROG G752VS OC Edition (7th Gen Intel Core)
ROG G752VS

Thunderbolt Firmware update for the following ------- G752VY, G752VT and G752VL

There are two downloads under "XG Station 2", download both files, make sure you are in the support area for your laptop model ie G752VY, G752VT or G752VL etc. (See the support page for your laptop model, download the correct files, more details below).

Install as follows.... for all G752 models VY, VT and VL.

Step one

Warning -- Download the correct BIOS file for your laptop before you flash it, always double check before you flash the BIOS, if in doubt, delete the file and start again.

Make sure you have flashed the latest BIOS to your G752VL / VT / VY (See the support page for your laptop model and select BIOS and download the latest one and flashed it).

Uninstall any Thunderbolt driver / software that you have on the G752xx and reboot.

Install the new Thunderbolt Driver and reboot.

Step two

Please note the 'xx' in the model name .... ie G752VT (G752xx), make sure you download the correct Thunderbolt Firmware for your laptop as detailed below

G752VL >> G752VL_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip
G752VT >> G752VT_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip
G752VY >> G752VY_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip

The new Thunderbolt firmware is double packed in this file >> G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2.zip. Unzip the file using WinZip or 7-ZIP.
Find the file named >> Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx.7z This file needs to be unpacked using WinZip or 7-ZIP.

You will now have a folder called >> Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx and inside that the same folder again (Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx)
eg, (x:\Asus G752\eSupport\ThunderBolt\G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Sta tion2\G752xx_TBT_FW_For_XG_Station2\Update_V1.0.1. 0 G752xx\Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx)

Step three --- Flash the update

Make sure that the Thunderbolt software is running, there should be a Thunderbolt icon in the right side of the start bar next to the clock (see picture below).
Make sure that there is no device connected to the USB-C / Thunderbolt port on the laptop.
Run the file Update.exe that's in the folder called 'Update_V1.0.1.0 G752xx' and click on Update.
Wait for the update to complete, it can take up to 2 minutes.
When done, shutdown the laptop (do not do a Restart)
Pull the power lead and wait 10 - 20 seconds and plug the power lead back in and restart the laptop.
Run the Thunderbolt software.
Right click the Thunderbolt Icon on the right side of the Start Bar (task bar).
Click on settings
Click on Details
You need to have the following as shown in the picture below. If for some reason you don't see NVM Firmware of 21.00 or PD Firmware of 1.07.06, do step three all over again.

What about prototype folder»?

CladMaster
05-15-2017, 12:30 PM
To flash the prototype firmware, the procedure would be the same.

The prototype firmware is an older update from what I can tell, the version number is lower (Prototype V1.0.0.10 g752vl vs Update_V1.0.1.0 G752VL), and I am not sure why it was added to the zip file.

Slick8791
05-15-2017, 03:14 PM
For those interested:

Cheerio!

Is there any official information from ASUS on IF the XG Station 2 is going to be available in North America?

According to this article, there are no plans to sell it in the US: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/asus-xg-station-2-graphics-amp

Gustave
05-21-2017, 12:54 PM
The Thunderbolt 3 Tech Brief (visit the link below) gives more details on how the technology works.
https://thunderbolttechnology.net/sites/default/files/Thunderbolt3_TechBrief_FINAL.pdf

Based on what I have read in this brief (PDF), it would suggest that the USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 port on the G752 laptops operates upto 40Gbp/s.

But, and here is the BUT .....

...... this all depends on how ASUS has hardwired the USB-C port and the controller(s) on the main board of these laptops.

If only 2 lanes are used, this would restrict the laptops to 20Gbp/s, which is the same as Thunderbolt 2.
I hope that this is not the case.

I am trying to find a way to test this and to see if the port is in fact 40Gbp/s enabled.

The test factor is limited at the moment, there seems to be a void in the way of Thunderbolt 3 devices that are within ones price range to carry out such tests.

I have one option that's being tested, an update will follow if it's relevant.

I think 4 lanes are used so 40Gbp/s should be OK. Providing the cable used is of proper quality.

ST9752
08-18-2017, 07:14 PM
I followed all the instructions in this thread to no avail. :-(

Once I start the "Update.exe" in the "Update_V1.0.1.0 G752VL" folder, it runs for a moment. I hear the standard Windows sound that happens when a device dismounts and then I get this error message.

"Update error. Firmware update process is halted. (0x10430004)"

Sometimes just before the message above I see a dialog displayed by the Thunderbolt driver that says...
"Your PC may need updates for the Thunderbolt 3 port to function properly. For more information go to:
https://thunderbolttechnology.net/updates"

I posted more details in a new thread before I discovered this one.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95428-G752VL-can-t-update-Thunderbolt-firmware-ERROR-0x10430004

As I noted there, I tried the normal 1.0.1.0 firmware a number of times with no success. I have NOT tried the "prototype" firmware version as I would rather have the latest official firmware. Their inclusion of "prototype" firmware is rather bizarre.

ANY help would be appreciated. :-)

ST9752
08-18-2017, 08:06 PM
I saw this in the readme file of an Intel Thunderbolt Firmware update Tool.

"Connect a Thunderbolt device to the Intel NUC. The firmware update tool will not run without a
Thunderbolt device connected. "

Is this same requirement necessary for the ASUS TB firmware updates?

CladMaster
08-18-2017, 11:48 PM
I saw this in the readme file of an Intel Thunderbolt Firmware update Tool.

"Connect a Thunderbolt device to the Intel NUC. The firmware update tool will not run without a
Thunderbolt device connected. "

Is this same requirement necessary for the ASUS TB firmware updates?

No, the firmware flash is different with the ASUS laptops.

NeoBeum
08-19-2017, 06:02 AM
I was on the Intel forums asking if I could make a USB 3.1 DRIVER for a TB1... Not possible :(

CladMaster
08-20-2017, 11:05 PM
Post 4 updated today.