PDA

View Full Version : Issues with quality of G752Vx keys

Digimutant
05-29-2017, 10:17 AM
I'm questioning the quality of these keys, as one just fell off with the plastic hooks bent, completely snapped off now. Ordered a new key to replace it but would have this meant that key was faulty? I've only had this one since November 2016 and now one of the keys aren't holding up to extensive typing, which really ruins the point of the laptop being a slight workhorse.

Anyone else had issues? I know its one key, but I'd complain directly to Asus if the issue was widespread on my keyboard.

Eleiyas
05-29-2017, 10:43 AM
The life of a keyboard depends on many things...and in order to help you I need you to answer the following questions:

just how often do you use it extensively?
how hard do you press on the keys?
Did the laptop keyboard feel ''weird'' when you first started using it?

Digimutant
05-29-2017, 10:51 AM
The life of a keyboard depends on many things...and in order to help you I need you to answer the following questions:

just how often do you use it extensively?
how hard do you press on the keys?
Did the laptop keyboard feel ''weird'' when you first started using it?

Since I go to college, and its approaching the end of my year, I do type a lot almost daily. And I don't hammer the keys, just hit the keys with great care.

It actually felt weird before the "k" key popped off, and it kept getting stuck whenever I pressed that key. Turns out the clips at the bottom of that key bent outwards and those have finally broke off. Was just wondering if it was a defect.

I have other machines, and they were almost abused with typing yet not one of those keys ever popped off.

Eleiyas
05-29-2017, 12:48 PM
It actually felt weird before the "k" key popped off, and it kept getting stuck whenever I pressed that key. Turns out the clips at the bottom of that key bent outwards and those have finally broke off. Was just wondering if it was a defect.

Definitely a defect - this unit needs to RMA'd, as long as it is still in warranty.

If it still has a good deal of warranty time left, then seeing as you are in college and most certainly need the unit right now, then I'd suggest holding off on the RMAíng and just trying to work around the issue, or perhaps using a USB keyboard for the meantime.

Digimutant
05-29-2017, 01:09 PM
Definitely a defect - this unit needs to RMA'd, as long as it is still in warranty.

If it still has a good deal of warranty time left, then seeing as you are in college and most certainly need the unit right now, then I'd suggest holding off on the RMAíng and just trying to work around the issue, or perhaps using a USB keyboard for the meantime.

It made me wonder if it is a defect with the entire unit, or just a manufacture defect on the key itself. I'm leaning towards the key itself and am waiting for a new key to replace it. All others are 100% well installed. Just the one key that's troubling. I have no desire to send it in for a minor defect that can be resolved providing I have sourced spares.

I have a strong feeling that Asus would regard this as "customer damage", and since my unit is almost okay (although one boot-up had an odd yet severe graphical glitch that looked like the LCD disconnected), I have found workarounds and seeing other suggestions such as buying the new key.

I'll keep you posted, but I'd also like to hear other users on here if they themselves had issues with keys popping off, as there is another thread on here with a similar issue.

Eleiyas
05-30-2017, 06:37 AM
I was thinking just this morning that the tech guys would ask why you took so long to send the unit in, and probably would therefore end up regarding the damage as customer induced.

If you're fine with the unit and are happy to replace the key yourself, then yeah :3

Digimutant
06-02-2017, 10:35 AM
I was thinking just this morning that the tech guys would ask why you took so long to send the unit in, and probably would therefore end up regarding the damage as customer induced.

If you're fine with the unit and are happy to replace the key yourself, then yeah :3

I received the new key. Seems okay but personally in future, Asus should reconsider redesigning how the keys are made or even rely on say Clevo for providing keyboards. The ones Asus use are not 100% great, regardless. Using stronger durable plastics should suffice, because the underside hooks can get weaker over time and poses a risk of quality issues and keys falling off. If it happens again then I'm reconsidering changing from Asus to MSI (most likely) just for quality and price.

Digimutant
06-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Update:

New key seems to click again. The symptoms of the problem are as follows:

Key clicks once or twice per keypress
Key sometimes gets stuck under the top assembly - leading to wear and damage of the clips bottomside of the key

Wondering if this reoccurs and breaks off again, I'm not spending another £14 for a new key to replace the key that replaced the damaged one. This isn't a fault of the key itself, but might be the design of the unit. There's a gap between the keyboard and holes in the assembly, and it sticking under causes it to get stuck, causing stress on the clips leading to it bend and break after typing at least 6 months use.

I understand "Use an external" but I can't just carry an external keyboard where-ever I go in college. I'd look silly and it'll nullify the point of a laptop.

Eleiyas
06-06-2017, 01:20 PM
I would strongly recommend contacting ASUS support then - about the issue

Clintlgm
06-07-2017, 03:42 AM
I had a key J come loose right after my 2nd RMA this was on my G75, I replaced it and it still going 4 years later. You just had bad luck with your K key you replaced it and that should be it. the only fatal keyboard Key, is if the metal lock down clips break off, that happens mostly with people attempting to fix with out having idea how they are attached.

Digimutant
06-10-2017, 03:40 PM
I would strongly recommend contacting ASUS support then - about the issue

Another update:

New key suffers same exact fate but this time even from a teeny amount of use. It's definitely the combination of the key quality and keyboard. It's not exactly pleasant to type on and with combination of unpleasant experience and quality, I may have to attempt a refund instead of an RMA.