PDA

View Full Version : G751J, new Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO does not boot

MikeAlpha
05-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Hello,

I tried to replace the original SSD in my G751J with a bigger one, but the new one does not boot at all. It isn't even listed as bootable device in the BIOS.
Latest BIOS 211 is installed.
I used Clonezilla to create an image from the original SSD. Clonezilla detected the new one immediately. Restoring the image to the new SSD went without error message. Afterwards GParted lists all partitions identical to the original SSD.

Original SSD : Samsung XP941 MZHPU256HCGL PCIe 2.0 x4
New SSD : Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO MZVLW1T0HMLH PCIe 3.0 x4

Does the BIOS not support PCIe 3.0 ? If that's not the problem, what else may I have done wrong ?

Mike

MikeAlpha
06-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Does the BIOS not support PCIe 3.0 ?

Apparently according to the pinned SSD thread that is the case., no support for M.2 NVME PCIE 3.0 SSD.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52546-Which-SSD-s-in-G751-and-what-can-you-replace-them-with

Really ? There won't be any more BIOS update ? The original SSD series (M.2 PCIE 2.0) is no longer available, at least here in Germany.
So with a 1.5 year old Laptop I can neither replace nor enhance my SSD capacity ??

Could anyone from ASUS confirm this ?

Mike

JustinThyme
06-03-2017, 04:47 PM
G751 series machines do not support NVMe. The G751 laptops are 3 year old technology. NVMe support didnt come around until the G752 was released. BIOS updates do not install an NVMe controller into the PCH. Some have modded their BIOS to trick it and ended up with worse results than a SATA drive.

Your best best for that machine is Samsung SM951 AHCI with model starting with MZHPV. Do not get the MZVPV as this is OEM NVMe and will not work. They are hard to find as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-512GB-AHCI-MZHPV512HDGL-00000/dp/B01D1VHVGK

Unfortunately the G751 series was released right in an interim period for SSDs. First step up from SATA speeds but shortly after the NVMe was introduced and is the current standard. Give it 6 months tops and people with newer machines than yours will have the same complaint about their machines not supporting what pops up over the horizon that replaces NVMe.

MikeAlpha
06-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Hi Justin,

thanks for the information and Amazon link. Buying a used SSD from the US to Germany seems a bit insecure for me though.

It's unfotunate. I'm not even able to operate an external 1TB SATA SSD (Samsung 960 EVO) via an 2.5" box / USB 3.0. Windows keeps reporting at random intervals stuff like :
"Volume H: (\Device\HarddiskVolume15) is healthy. No action is needed.", and programs stop working at that point.

Two different boxes and two different SSDs tried. One of the S.M.A.R.T values (Power Recovery Count) indicate there's a problem with power on all four USB 3.0 ports, despite latest USB drivers.

Looks like I have to sell the G751J :-(

Mike

internettop40
04-23-2018, 09:15 PM
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99677-ASUS-G751-JY-BIOS-211-NVMe-Upgrade-Guide-Step-by-Step I just did this last week and it works fine boots are a little slow and if you have an ssd that is probably better. But i will say the nvme driver he has works just fine. and he helped me replied to my emails within 24 hours.