PDA

View Full Version : G752VS Crashing Issues (shuts off and restarts automatically)

Hapablap
06-03-2017, 03:12 AM
Hey,

I've had my g752vs for a few months now and recently I've been running into a problem with it crashing while playing some games.
I uninstalled ROG Gaming Center and that seems to have reduced the frequency of the crashes but I'm still experiencing some.

Currently I'm playing DOOM and my laptop seems to crash randomly. The computer simply shuts off and restarts automatically. I've been unable to find any logs about the crash in my event viewer.
I've set up some logs for my GPU and CPU and temperatures at the time of crashing looks like this:

Seconds GPU HD0 HD1 Temp1 Core 0 Core 1 Core 2 Core 3
82356 77.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 67.0 69.0 61.0 61.0
82359 77.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 71.0 67.0 64.0 63.0
82362 76.0 36.0 32.0 68.0 66.0 68.0 64.0 61.0
82365 0.0 36.0 32.0 70.0 69.0 62.0 64.0 60.0

For the last two crashes the GPU temp hits 0 right as it crashed (perhaps indicating that this is the piece that is failing/shutting off to avoid overheating).
Has anyone been experiencing the same?

Hapablap
06-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Testing DOOM again today and just had another crash. To further explain what they look like, the screen freezes but the audio actually keeps going (was listening to a log and it kept reading normally). After a few seconds the computer simply reboots.
Here are the temperatures right before this crash:
Seconds GPU HD0 HD1 Temp1 Core 0 Core 1 Core 2 Core 3
44710 70.0 35.0 32.0 62.0 63.0 60.0 56.0 60.0
44713 71.0 35.0 32.0 62.0 62.0 62.0 59.0 61.0
44716 70.0 35.0 32.0 61.0 62.0 60.0 56.0 55.0
44719 71.0 35.0 32.0 62.0 60.0 58.0 60.0 57.0
44722 0.0 35.0 32.0 64.0 63.0 59.0 66.0 54.0

They weren't very high, so I'm starting to this that maybe it isn't a heating issue. Once again the GPU's last temp came in as 0.

Hapablap
06-09-2017, 07:26 PM
Haven't been able to test recently but just had the same crash occur when attempting to play GTA V.
I played it fine 2 nights ago for about an hour but today it crashed as it was loading up the story mode.

Same symptoms as before. Laptop just hard restarts, no obvious errors. I installed the latest nvidia drivers hoping that pehaps that had been my issue.

Anyone have any suggestions on things I should be looking into? Maybe some logs I haven't checked or programs that may help me get to the bottom of this.
Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Hapablap
06-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Just tried moving one of the games causing the issue from my HDD to my SSD but that didn't solve anything (thought it was worth a shot).
For GTA V, it crashes right after the game loads and while it's zooming in on my character.

The screen freezes and the sounds keeps going for a couple seconds. Then black screen and restart.

Opened a ticket with ASUS support, hopefully they have some ideas.

Hapablap
06-12-2017, 05:08 PM
I tried hard resetting then resetting my BIOS but I still ran into the issue.

Next I tried reinstalling Windows 10. Once it was done, I reinstalled GTA V to test it out.
Everything seemed to be working fine though I was getting low fps since I hadn't updated my nvidia drivers.
After updating my nvidia drivers, the problem resurfaced. I played around a bit and found out that the issue seems to be coming from
the G SYNC option. I turned it off and have yet to have another crash. Will be testing over the next few days.

Meeliskt
06-14-2017, 08:41 AM
I have same laptop and same problem. Installed MSI afterburner and reduced GPU and videomemory speeds. After that I have no craches. GPU speed was crazy high out of the box. 1800-1900 Mhz area. Temps are ok.
Whats your GPU speed?

Bahz
06-14-2017, 09:19 AM
The reason why the system is shutting down should be due to temperatures reaching max temperatures for either the CPU or GPU but looking at the temperatures you provided, it doesn't seem to be the case. You should contact tech support regarding this issue as it could be an issue with your unit.

Hapablap
06-19-2017, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the replies! I did just have the crash occur again. I'll take a look at MSI afterburner and let you know how it goes.

Edit: Also a new development. On the last 2 crashes, the screen has gone a solid colour (white first crash, red 2nd crash) before restarting.

Hapablap
06-19-2017, 04:21 AM
I have same laptop and same problem. Installed MSI afterburner and reduced GPU and videomemory speeds. After that I have no craches. GPU speed was crazy high out of the box. 1800-1900 Mhz area. Temps are ok.
Whats your GPU speed?

Haven't used MSI Afterburner before. I don't see the speeds stated explicitly. I just see sliders where I can set offsets.
What did you set yours to to avoid crashes?

Meeliskt
06-19-2017, 11:03 AM
I had mine factory OC-d core +50 and memory +150 Mhz. I moved sliders to 0(or you can print number in, if you press the number first) Then press apply and save profile if you want it to load in windows start.

Damastif
06-19-2017, 05:48 PM
I have the same problem! But i play dota and wot.

Hapablap
06-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Hey,

I've been playing around with MSI Afterburner and have been able to reduce the crashes but they are still occurring.
Here's an image of the settings: (-50MHz from Core Clock and -200MHz from Memory Clock)

Should I try underclocking it more? Or at this point should I just be reaching out to ASUS for an RMA

Bahz
06-26-2017, 09:16 AM
I have already passed this issue over to our notebook team and they will look into this. I'll update everyone again in this thread once I hear back from them.

Hapablap
06-28-2017, 03:17 AM
I have already passed this issue over to our notebook team and they will look into this. I'll update everyone again in this thread once I hear back from them.

Awesome, thanks for the help.

Bahz
06-28-2017, 04:22 AM
I do think if you haven't RMA'd this notebook yet, it would be best to do so as it sounds more like a hardware issue where the drivers aren't working properly. If the repaired/replaced unit still has same issues then please post here again to let us know.

PhyrexianGamer
07-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Hi Guys any Update on this ?
I am about to through this machine in the swimming pool. I have tried Under clocking it. I have Factory reset the machine and i have been speaking to tech support. I have also found other treads that state that they have replaced the machines with the same problem. I am able to Play a few games in windowed Mode but it still caches after an hour or so. I have it on a cooling bench as well and HW Monitoring states that the Temp is running 75-80 Constant. so over heating should not be the problem. I Payed R 40 000 for this machine and im getting a lower class product and service.

Bahz
07-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Hi Guys any Update on this ?
I am about to through this machine in the swimming pool. I have tried Under clocking it. I have Factory reset the machine and i have been speaking to tech support. I have also found other treads that state that they have replaced the machines with the same problem. I am able to Play a few games in windowed Mode but it still caches after an hour or so. I have it on a cooling bench as well and HW Monitoring states that the Temp is running 75-80 Constant. so over heating should not be the problem. I Payed R 40 000 for this machine and im getting a lower class product and service.

Have you tried older graphics drivers? Have you added additional memory in your system? This issue is confirmed internally only happening to very few people so I'm thinking it has to be somewhat related to drivers or incompatible hardware.

PhyrexianGamer
07-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Have you tried old graphics drivers? Have you added additional memory in your system? This issue is confirmed internally only happening to very few people so I'm thinking it has to be somewhat related to drivers or incompatible hardware.

I have Installed an additional 16GB Ram and i have tried the older drivers to no avail.
And now ASUS want me to pay for a third party company to inspect the machine.

Clintlgm
07-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Have you pulled out the extra 16GB of RAM you added? Do they added stick match the factory ones your notebook came with? Does your notebook work with out the new RAM added?

PhyrexianGamer
07-06-2017, 06:01 AM
Have you pulled out the extra 16GB of RAM you added? Do they added stick match the factory ones your notebook came with? Does your notebook work with out the new RAM added?

I have pulled them out with same result. So i Uninstalled the Oculus rift Drivers as well as the ASUS docking station Driver . NOTE that the Oculus Driver installed a CDDisplay.exe with one of the apps. I am now able to play a bit bit longer before it crashes. where the game use to crash every 10 min its up to about 2 hours.

Bahz
07-06-2017, 07:55 AM
I have pulled them out with same result. So i Uninstalled the Oculus rift Drivers as well as the ASUS docking station Driver . NOTE that the Oculus Driver installed a CDDisplay.exe with one of the apps. I am now able to play a bit bit longer before it crashes. where the game use to crash every 10 min its up to about 2 hours.

Have you ever sent this unit back for RMA? I've been told by the NB engineer that this issue isn't recorded as a common issue and they have a retail sample that they tested on and don't have any of the issues mentioned in this thread. If this was a common issue then with how many units of this laptop was sold then there should be a ton of people complaining about the same issue. I would recommend everyone here with this issue to send it back for RMA/repair as it could be a hardware-related issue.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
07-07-2017, 03:37 AM
Same issue on purchase 2017-07-01 , 2500 eur feels like wasted
1. Monitor Full HD IPS 120hz lowest quality i ever seen, 120hz panel doesnt work propertly, light bleeding is like made in china at 1990 ....
2. CPU i7 7700HQ runs at 3500 mhz allways, voltage is unstable and jumping like crazy, calms down only on energy saver mode.
3. Shutdowns at 90% of all games, this is common issue and asus doesnt want to talk about that, only way is return and get the same model with same hardware issue... internet is full of questions and complaining about this issue , but atm still no fix.

windowed mode and G-Sync off is temp fix, but not the solution for the 2500 euro machine.

Tryed all gpu drivers from the version at support page, till the last one., no change...

I was much more happy with my Asus N56JR , feeling sad about this purchase... Quality 1/10 :(

Windows 10 Home (Came installed with product)
G752VSK Kaby Lake i7-7700HQ
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB DDR4 1.2v 2400Mhz
1TB HDD 7200rpm Samsung
1TB HDD 5400rpm Samsung
256GB SSD M.2 Samsung

Still hope that it is only software issue...

RiP G752VSK :'(

Damastif
07-07-2017, 06:51 PM
I have the same problems and so much time!!!
Notebook price 2500 and i have this crashing Issues!!!!
I am trying update my bios and drivers!!!
And nothing can`t help me!
Everybody have the samt problems???
Maybe i need to go to the service center?

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
07-08-2017, 08:44 PM
I have the same problems and so much time!!!
Notebook price 2500 and i have this crashing Issues!!!!
I am trying update my bios and drivers!!!
And nothing can`t help me!
Everybody have the samt problems???
Maybe i need to go to the service center?

I think i solved this issue by changing storage system ACHI in bios (was Asus IRS or smthink) , then clean install lattest windows , becouse it was preinstalled with pc, then installed all drivers from asus support, even nvidia, do not use lattest nvidia., played 12h~ with no crashes, i will keep inform tomorow, but it looks like fixed

Drivers install que:
1. Chipset
2. ATK
3. Intel Management
4. Rapid Storage
5. Intel Serial IO
6. Wlan
7. Audio
8. BT
9. Cardreader
10. Toutchpad
11. USB Charger
12. Thunderbolt
13. Splendid
14. ROG Macro Key
15. nVidia VGA 376.06
16. DirectX
17. ROG Gaming Center
18. Chrome
19. Steam

Dont be lazy and do restarts every time when pc ask's for it. Its important.

G752VSK

i7-7700HQ 2.8GHZ-3.6GHZ
16GB DDR4 2400 MHZ
256 SSD M2 PCIe
931GB HDD 7200 RPM
931GB HDD 5400 RPM
GTX 1070 (ROG TurboGear - Standart)

Bios 302
windows 10 Home 64bit (AHCI)

Let us know is that helped or not. It Helped for me after one week crashes on every game...

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
07-08-2017, 08:49 PM
BTW Track your temperatures GPU and CPU , if you see them hiting 70+ increase Fan Boost to 30% at rog gaming center. It helps system to stay cooled at max performance.

http://3DMark 11 - 16495 PTS (http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12263345)

pikamus2
07-10-2017, 10:16 AM
i'm also getting this issue... had it for a while.
happens in overwatch mostly.

have to underclock gpu 100 / 100 then it seems to be more stable

what could be the cause asus???

pikamus2
07-10-2017, 10:20 AM
also before the new windows update... it used to white screen and crash with a TDR error msgbox from blizzard.

now it just resets the computer.

Bahz
07-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Can I get confirmation how many times your laptop has been sent back for RMA/repair?

pikamus2
07-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Can I get confirmation how many times your laptop has been sent back for RMA/repair?

Havent sent it in for repairs.

Bahz
07-12-2017, 07:21 AM
Havent sent it in for repairs.

If that's the case then I would highly recommend that you do so, be very detailed with the issue description and I'm sure our technical support can further assist you.

pikamus2
07-12-2017, 10:24 AM
ok, i've sent an email to asus technical support.

i must be unlucky, this is my second ROG laptop (first one was 5 years ago) and had to RMA that due to faulty GPU.

i was hoping this time it was just driver issues.

thanks.

pikamus2
07-12-2017, 12:02 PM
so i removed the underclock from msi afterburner....

then i loaded asus rog gaming center... set it to standard mode... defaults to extreme (even on boot up?? can't default it to standard)

so far it seems stable... and quieter.....

any way i can default to standard mode?... i'm think asus didn't test the asus g752vs OC edition extreme mode well....
it's probably under voltage?? thats my guess....

i still emailed tech support... don't really want to rma if it's just this!!

i'll update later if i don't get the crash!

pikamus2
07-12-2017, 12:27 PM
uninstalled ROG gaming center, windows boots up with default clocks.

workshop777
07-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Im in the same boat. Event ID 41 after the reboot orrucrs stating there was a critical failure. The only happens to me when gaming. I did a full restore and that seemed to alleviate the problem some, but not completely.

I'm EXTREMELY hesitant to RMA this for 2 reasons.

1. Due to a terrible RMA process I had in the past with this same latop when the keyboard issue occurred. THEY HAD THE LAPTOP FOR OVER A MONTH!!! No Joke. Over a month. Not too mention I was getting conflicting information whenever calling or emailing in regards to the status. An ASUS team member on the forums was the only person that was helpful when this occurred.

2. I can only duplicate the problem when gaming. It doesn't occur any other time. Are they going to sit there and play games during the troubleshooting process? Do they need access to my steam/blizz/origin gaming libraries?

Ive been battling this problem for a few months now and of course, have not found a solution. I have ran multiple different CPU and MEM stress tests and ran FURMARK for GPU testing. Nothing else has caused the crash. I would be afraid that if you send it back for RMA they would just return it with "no problem found" a month later.

workshop777
07-12-2017, 07:05 PM
uninstalled ROG gaming center, windows boots up with default clocks.

How has that been for you? Still crashing?

workshop777
07-12-2017, 11:29 PM
I had mine factory OC-d core +50 and memory +150 Mhz. I moved sliders to 0(or you can print number in, if you press the number first) Then press apply and save profile if you want it to load in windows start.

The ROG Gaming center is the reason for the 50/150 overclock. That is how it is when the Turbo Gear is set to Extreme. If you set it to standard and refresh Afterburner it goes to 0/0.

As someone previously mentioned, ROG Gaming Center defaults to the Extreme Gear which is OCed upon boot. Is that just a setting in ROG Gaming Center only? If I uninstall ROG Gaming Center will the laptop boot with no OC?

pikamus2
07-12-2017, 11:45 PM
The ROG Gaming center is the reason for the 50/150 overclock. That is how it is when the Turbo Gear is set to Extreme. If you set it to standard and refresh Afterburner it goes to 0/0.

As someone previously mentioned, ROG Gaming Center defaults to the Extreme Gear which is OCed upon boot. Is that just a setting in ROG Gaming Center only? If I uninstall ROG Gaming Center will the laptop boot with no OC?

So i used GPU-z to confirm clocks are default at boot time.
I played over-watch for like an hour at default clocked with the ROG uninstalled. Didn't crash. Doesn't mean it is solved, but defiantly looking positive.
Just for fun i boosted the GPU clock in msi after burner by 100mhz. Put overwatch @ 200% render scale (4k) and my gpu usage was 100% @ 80deg
No crashes or artefacts.

i'm thinking the ROG o/c was messing with voltages / mem clocks that are super unstable. and it sucks that it comes preinstalled and o/c'd. On top of that... the app is garbage.

but i'll update later on how it goes.

workshop777
07-13-2017, 04:09 AM
So i used GPU-z to confirm clocks are default at boot time.
I played over-watch for like an hour at default clocked with the ROG uninstalled. Didn't crash. Doesn't mean it is solved, but defiantly looking positive.
Just for fun i boosted the GPU clock in msi after burner by 100mhz. Put overwatch @ 200% render scale (4k) and my gpu usage was 100% @ 80deg
No crashes or artefacts.

i'm thinking the ROG o/c was messing with voltages / mem clocks that are super unstable. and it sucks that it comes preinstalled and o/c'd. On top of that... the app is garbage.

but i'll update later on how it goes.

I just uninstalled the ROG gaming center. Played Elite Dangerous for about 1.5 hours without problems. Not a definite fix because I was able to do that before sometimes without a crash, sometimes with one early on. I dont have much trouble in Overwatch. The problem occurred in there when opening Loot Boxes on occasion but I have not had the problem in Overwatch since I did a restore a few weeks back. Earlier today (before uninstalling ROG Gaming Center) I had the crash playing Cities Skylines. I have also previously had the crash in GTA V, MGS V, Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

So, yeah, uninstalled the ROG Gaming Center and I'm gonna see how it goes without it. Seems like there is so many better OC software options out there instead of that. I will probably post back tomorrow evening with some results.

pikamus2
07-13-2017, 10:56 AM
second night without that rog app....
been solid!
overwatch hasn't crashed... been playing other games that would crash too... they haven't.
also some benchmarks.. for fun.

also the laptop runs quieter....
and i turned on GSYNC

workshop777
07-13-2017, 02:57 PM
second night without that rog app....
been solid!
overwatch hasn't crashed... been playing other games that would crash too... they haven't.
also some benchmarks.. for fun.

also the laptop runs quieter....
and i turned on GSYNC
Very Interesting. There are multiple G752vs models out there with different hardware. I wonder if ROG Gaming Center is working for some and not the others because of the different hardware.

Also interesting the no one has tried this before (including myself) since I have been dealing with this problem since May. In my defense, all my googling on the problem was in related to the event ID 41 error that occurs after the crash and the google results were not specific to just Asus ROG models. It wasnt until yesterday that I thought to include the model number in my search, which lead me here.

I still should have suspected it though as a lot of people mentioned voltage levels and overclocking and the BIOS on this model does not have any options for changing anything like that in there...

Bahz
07-14-2017, 03:02 AM
Uninstalling the software seems like the logical solution, I thought everyone in this thread would have tried that already. I will update our notebook team of this information but the update I received internally is that this issue wasn't occurring for them.

workshop777
07-14-2017, 12:07 PM
Uninstalling the software seems like the logical solution, I thought everyone in this thread would have tried that already. I will update our notebook team of this information but the update I received internally is that this issue wasn't occurring for them.
There are a few different types of the G752VS correct? Not all of them are the same exact specs and hardware right? Maybe this is happening to a few particular models. Or maybe in manufacturing they ran out of a specific part and used a comparable part from another maker and it's only affecting those people? Just because it's not happening internally, doesn't mean it's not a mass problem. There are multiple people who are having this problem in just this thread alone, not to mention other social sites I have seen this model number and problem listed on.

It seems to me like Asus support is really dropping the ball on this model and I have no clue why as this should be considered one of there flagship devices considering its power and cost. It's reported in another thread that there is a new BIOS version out for this model (309) but its not anywhere on the support page to download it. Plus the newest driver listed there is from 11/2016 and its the video driver. We all know for a fact that there have been newer video drivers released. This is still all modern hardware, there is no way that every component in this computer has not had a driver update since earlier then November of last year.

Anyway, sorry about the rant...

UPDATE:

Like I mentioned previously, I uninstalled the ROG Gaming Center Software. Played GTA 5 for about an hour with no problems, went to dinner, left the computer on and came back and played for about another 2 hours after the kids went to bed with NO PROBLEMS. Played a few rounds of Overwatch that night as well, but like I said, since my last restore Overwatch hasnt been a problem for me.

Weekend is coming up, my other activities take precedence over gaming but I should be able to get a decent amount of time in. I will post back again Monday if not sooner.

We have a great thread here, with some damn good advice. Hopefully this problem is corrected, but I want a good week of crash free gaming before I feel like we fixed it for certain. Thanks everyone (especially pikamus2) for all the troubleshooting and experimentation.

workshop777
07-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Not a fix for everyone apparently. The below quote is from the 1st post in this thread... overlooked that somehow.

I uninstalled ROG Gaming Center and that seems to have reduced the frequency of the crashes but I'm still experiencing some.

BL_11
07-14-2017, 02:35 PM
I play GTA 5 too and have the same problem but I have G752VY and got a smart error which made my laptop retarded all the freeze and fail to boot up.

Gps3dx
07-14-2017, 08:48 PM
I play GTA 5 too and have the same problem but I have G752VY and got a smart error which made my laptop retarded all the freeze and fail to boot up.
Hello BL.
if you can't more info about the "error" or "crashes" we can't help you pin point the issue.
most probably that you're not doing something right or simply not doing something at all... your HW might just be OK.

by the info you told us so far, I would recommend that you boot into SAFE MODE and CLEAN WIPE your graphics drivers using DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html).
While you're in SAFE MODE, please make screenshots of BLUESCREENVIEW (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html) so that we can see your BSOD details if you got ny before the bootloop.
then, get the LATEST driver from NVIDIA OFFICIAL SITE ( NOT ASUS ! ) and install it.

lastly, it would also be helpful if you share some more technical details by running HWINFO (https://www.hwinfo.com/), and saving an HTML report and share it with us IN THIS THREAD ( NO PM PLEASE ).

workshop777
07-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Just reporting back.

Played games over the weekend without any problems at all. Dead Rising 3, Overwatch and a lot of GTA5. No Crashes at all since removing the ROG Gaming Center Software. Gonna wait until the end of the week to be certain if that corrected it.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
07-19-2017, 05:35 AM
Okay, one week work with asus support and finaly they told me to send it to RMA, well, 2500 eur laptop and send it to RMA after few weeks after purchage doesnt sounds good for me, anyway, after trilion tests finaly i found issue.

GPU clock should be: 1445~ default and 1580~ on Turbo mode
Then tell me dear ASUS, why the GPU Hits 2000 even if it is clocked to 1445? It overboost, its sick and it couses crash, becouse in all tests gpu crashing after 1.062 v. , high voltage coused by clock speed, i had to declock gpu to 1200 hz and with this clock she still overboost it self to 1800~ hz, once you guys find way to stop this overboost and lock gpu at safe clocks problem will be solved. 1.05 v looks like stable but few secounds on 1.062 v turning gpu off even on 50° C temp.

Overboost is our problem.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
07-19-2017, 06:27 AM
Here visuals on GTA 5, gpu clock at 1445 but overboost to 1850~

pikamus2
07-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Just reporting back.

Played games over the weekend without any problems at all. Dead Rising 3, Overwatch and a lot of GTA5. No Crashes at all since removing the ROG Gaming Center Software. Gonna wait until the end of the week to be certain if that corrected it.

yup same
haven't checked in for a while. everything is gravy so far, been playing different games, pretty stable.

Darnassus
07-20-2017, 05:52 PM
I think you'll have to ignore it. I myself have the same problem. Random shutdowns to black screen and have to reboot.

I believe it's a false positive on overheating.. I have a temperature monitor on 24/7 and my GPU spiked to 110*C+ for a split second doing medial tasks.. and my highest ever achieved through benching and gaming is 81 during the summer.

Luckily the 110 didn't trip the emergency shutdown.. for that one event. Anyhow, I believe this is the case..

Also.. you should undo or lower your overclocks. I recently reoverclocked my GPU (770m) to max clock and 5000 on memory, and within 5 mins I had a freeze playing RotTomb Raider with the FZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ sound stuck on speakers. But that's a different kind of crash, though COULD be related?

Bahz
07-21-2017, 10:34 AM
I really want to get this issue moving and fixed as soon as possible. Our NB engineer has contacted our EE and RD teams and they require back the following information.
· 7820HK or 7700HQ?
· What bios version?
· Have you tried adjusting the fanspeed in gaming center?
· Steps to reproduce the freeze/crash reliably? If yes how exactly?

Our EE team has also recommended to send back the unit for RMA so we can collect back the units for further studying. If you send back the unit for RMA, please PM with the product serial number and RMA# so we can arrange to have this arranged with local service team to collect back the unit. Thanks.

workshop777
07-21-2017, 11:33 AM
I really want to get this issue moving and fixed as soon as possible. Our NB engineer has contacted our EE and RD teams and they require back the following information.
· 7820HK or 7700HQ?
· What bios version?
· Have you tried adjusting the fanspeed in gaming center?
· Steps to reproduce the freeze/crash reliably? If yes how exactly?

Our EE team has also recommended to send back the unit for RMA so we can collect back the units for further studying. If you send back the unit for RMA, please PM with the product serial number and RMA# so we can arrange to have this arranged with local service team to collect back the unit. Thanks.
So far the problem has not reoccurred for me since removing the ROG Gaming Center Software, but I will answer your questions anyway in hopes it helps narrow down the issue.

1. i7-6820hk
2. 306
3. Not an option on my device. No fan speed adjustment. The laptop isnt overheating anyway after running temp checks.
4. Playing random games at random times. It usually happens close to when you start playing but sometimes it could go longer. For me, the crash occurred in the following games: Elite Dangerous, GTA5, Cities Skylines, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain and Overwatch.

Essentially, that game selection there runs the gambit on new/old/high graphics reqs/low graphics reqs. Those were the only games I had installed and was playing regularly at the time but based on that game election, I believe it wouldnt matter what game you were playing for the crash to occur.

Darnassus
07-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Undo your overclocks if you have any.. and try to keep Open Hardware Monitor running at all times, and check it frequently.

If you have anything like Gaming Center, GPU Tweak, MSI Afterburner, or Intel XTreme, revert to stock settings and uninstall it.

Damastif
07-22-2017, 06:45 AM
After deleting Asus Gaming Center crashing continued!!!
My laptop with
1. Processor 7700HQ
2. BIOS version: 302
3. Gaming center delete
4. I play not so much games but in every game i have crashing and restart. DOTA 2, WOT.
If somebody want i can post the video with moment of crash!

pikamus2
07-23-2017, 03:15 AM
install gpu-z and make sure that the default clock and gpu clock match

Toffiewolf
07-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Exactly the same issue for me.
Started from day one of receiving laptop: 2 July 2017
I have uninstalled Asus gaming centre, but still it happens.

· Asus ROG G752VS-RB71-HID3 G-SYNC 17.3" (i7-6700HQ/1070 8G/256G SSD+1T HDD/16G RAM/DVDRW)
· American Megatrends Inc. G752VS.306, 2016/10/19
· Play any game. After a while laptop just restarts. It seems to happen more frequently when I am alt-tabing out of a game into windows to browse chrome or open a document while the game is open in the background.

drazac
07-24-2017, 11:01 PM
Greetings everyone, just to give my own 2 cents.

I own G752VS-GC054T.

Model was bought sometime at the middle of May from UK IT store. So it is basically new.

Month and half ago, I started to notice problems when playing video games. Game will either crash/freeze, or, the entire system will freeze for 2 seconds while sound is distorted and the system will restart itself. Problem was occurring on all games that I have been playing.

At that time I was still running ASUS Gaming center. So, I decided to completely unistall it, then go to BIOS and load system defaults, only to find out that all advanced options are missing. So after further reading on how to unlock full bios, I went ahead and "reinstalled" unlocked bios, and then I loaded the optimized defaults. Just to be safe I also reinstalled Windows and all my apps and games.

Unfortunatelly, crashing, freezing still occurred afterwards.

I thought the reason was in nVidia drivers, until Windows BSOD occurred while system was in idle mode.

I was overclocker back in the day, so I decided to run 25 hours Small FFT Prime95 CPU stability test. Fatal Error occured on two threads, first one after 7 minutes, next one after 13 hours.

Unit was sent to repair center with my detailed explanation, and a week ago, it came back. Technician replaced the "system board". I presume he meant motherboard. Since G752VS has CPU and GPU soldered on the motherboard, it should have solved the problem. Unfotunatelly, that wasn't the case.

The exact same crashing/freezing occurs while playing games. Sometimes it will crash after 1 hour of play, sometimes between 2-3 hours. I also own G751JT and have tested the games on this system as well. No crashing what so ever.

So, after initial frustration, decided to run another Small FFT Prime95 test. System rebooted itself after 10 hours with Event Log reporting a critical error.

Just in case to rule out memory issues (usually, system will reboot itself if memory is faulty. Freezing and restarting is usually reserved for faulty CPU) i ran 25 hours Memtest. All was OK, no errors.

What are the ods of having system instability with two new motherboards (with new GPU and new CPU)? Almost non-existant.

So, what is causing the issue ?

The only major thing that I have noticed, original motherboard had BIOS version 303 (I think) but shortly afterwards it was updated to latest version 306 via ASUS Live update (I think). I remembered because battery and lid LED stopped working after the update. Wasn't too concered about it, because everything else seemed stable at that time.

New motherboard has the exact same bios version, 306. So, "old" motherboard with bios version 306 unstable. New motherboard with bios version 306, also unstable.

If I am not mistaken, bios update 304 and above modified some voltages that were too high for CPU and perhaps other system parts. I am not 100% sure, but I think something went bad there for some of us, where BIOS update 304 and above made some G752 models unstable.

I am gonna try one more attempt to downgrade bios version to 303 and run 24 hour SmallFFT CPU test.

If that doesn't fix the problem, obviously I'll be very dissapointed, but I will be returning the unit.

Any additional tips and suggestions are welcome.

Bahz
07-25-2017, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the additional information provided. I want to mention again that this issue "isn't" occurring for everyone hence this thread only being 6 pages. If this issue was existent on all units then you should be seeing a few hundred pages already. If you have this issue please try returning it for RMA and provide me with the S/N, RMA#, and date returned so we can collect back these units for further testing.

workshop777
07-25-2017, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the additional information provided. I want to mention again that this issue "isn't" occurring for everyone hence this thread only being 6 pages. If this issue was existent on all units then you should be seeing a few hundred pages already. If you have this issue please try returning it for RMA and provide me with the S/N, RMA#, and date returned so we can collect back these units for further testing.
It really sounds like you are downplaying it.

Sure the issue isn't happening for everyone, but it is happening for A LOT of people. 6 pages here, plus people complaining about it on other forums that I have read, not to mention the others who have not posted anywhere and have been googling the issue for months like I was.

While it isn't happening to everyone, it is a major problem none the less and something that should hinder the sales of this model, especially on a high end system like this. I know I wouldnt risk buying this model if I read this before hand. Honestly, after the keyboard problem, this problem, and the complete lack of driver and BIOS updates since LAST YEAR it really makes me question buying an ASUS for my next system.

So we all know that Overclocking can shorten the lifetime of the hardware that is overclocked, whether properly cooled or not. Why would Asus default the system to being overclocked with the ROG gaming center after every reboot? Shouldnt that be at the discretion of the user?

workshop777
07-25-2017, 05:20 AM
Greetings everyone, just to give my own 2 cents.

I own G752VS-GC054T.

Model was bought sometime at the middle of May from UK IT store. So it is basically new.

Month and half ago, I started to notice problems when playing video games. Game will either crash/freeze, or, the entire system will freeze for 2 seconds while sound is distorted and the system will restart itself. Problem was occurring on all games that I have been playing.

At that time I was still running ASUS Gaming center. So, I decided to completely unistall it, then go to BIOS and load system defaults, only to find out that all advanced options are missing. So after further reading on how to unlock full bios, I went ahead and "reinstalled" unlocked bios, and then I loaded the optimized defaults. Just to be safe I also reinstalled Windows and all my apps and games.

Unfortunatelly, crashing, freezing still occurred afterwards.

I thought the reason was in nVidia drivers, until Windows BSOD occurred while system was in idle mode.

I was overclocker back in the day, so I decided to run 25 hours Small FFT Prime95 CPU stability test. Fatal Error occured on two threads, first one after 7 minutes, next one after 13 hours.

Unit was sent to repair center with my detailed explanation, and a week ago, it came back. Technician replaced the "system board". I presume he meant motherboard. Since G752VS has CPU and GPU soldered on the motherboard, it should have solved the problem. Unfotunatelly, that wasn't the case.

The exact same crashing/freezing occurs while playing games. Sometimes it will crash after 1 hour of play, sometimes between 2-3 hours. I also own G751JT and have tested the games on this system as well. No crashing what so ever.

So, after initial frustration, decided to run another Small FFT Prime95 test. System rebooted itself after 10 hours with Event Log reporting a critical error.

Just in case to rule out memory issues (usually, system will reboot itself if memory is faulty. Freezing and restarting is usually reserved for faulty CPU) i ran 25 hours Memtest. All was OK, no errors.

What are the ods of having system instability with two new motherboards (with new GPU and new CPU)? Almost non-existant.

So, what is causing the issue ?

The only major thing that I have noticed, original motherboard had BIOS version 303 (I think) but shortly afterwards it was updated to latest version 306 via ASUS Live update (I think). I remembered because battery and lid LED stopped working after the update. Wasn't too concered about it, because everything else seemed stable at that time.

New motherboard has the exact same bios version, 306. So, "old" motherboard with bios version 306 unstable. New motherboard with bios version 306, also unstable.

If I am not mistaken, bios update 304 and above modified some voltages that were too high for CPU and perhaps other system parts. I am not 100% sure, but I think something went bad there for some of us, where BIOS update 304 and above made some G752 models unstable.

I am gonna try one more attempt to downgrade bios version to 303 and run 24 hour SmallFFT CPU test.

If that doesn't fix the problem, obviously I'll be very dissapointed, but I will be returning the unit.

Any additional tips and suggestions are welcome.
Im anxious to hear your results after the BIOS downgrade.

Toffiewolf
07-25-2017, 09:59 AM
Same. Really hope that is the issue.
Asus tech support useless. They want me to reinstall windows 10.

workshop777
07-25-2017, 01:46 PM

Yeah that doesn't fix it. :rolleyes:

Darnassus
07-25-2017, 04:06 PM

I have the issue where my laptop dies to black screen instantly, then I just power it back on.. but it's rare like.. once a month, or maybe two months.

MusicalDucky
07-25-2017, 06:07 PM

Sounds like they want to buy some time.

ASUS what is the status on this issue? Are you able to reproduce it? Is there any ETA on a fix?

Please advise.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
07-25-2017, 06:27 PM

ASUS what is the status on this issue? Are you able to reproduce it? Is there any ETA on a fix?

Please advise.

No fix yet mate, we stuck with useless machines, gaming laptop and unable to game on it :D

haihane
07-25-2017, 06:30 PM

Please advise.

i'll give benefit of the doubt.
Reinstalling windows 10 takes at most, like what? i'll give you 1 full day. (i can do it in 3 hours tops with a decent internet, fully updated, as close to clean as possible).

and you eliminate the source of problem(s) from bad drivers, viruses, malwares... for an effort which takes 3 hours, and eliminating these wildcards, so a proper support can take place?

it's worth it. just do it.

MusicalDucky
07-25-2017, 07:05 PM
i'll give benefit of the doubt.
Reinstalling windows 10 takes at most, like what? i'll give you 1 full day. (i can do it in 3 hours tops with a decent internet, fully updated, as close to clean as possible).

and you eliminate the source of problem(s) from bad drivers, viruses, malwares... for an effort which takes 3 hours, and eliminating these wildcards, so a proper support can take place?

it's worth it. just do it.

I am afraid not. It has been two months. Maybe if they suggested it on day 5. At this point we should expect a little more.

It is already painful sitting with a premium device and not being able to use it. Getting Windows back after 3 hours is great but Windows is not the only thing that has to restored so we are looking at more than a trivial effort here.

Furthermore this seems to be happening to new devices which should have pretty fresh installs.

I don't think I am willing to accept this solution at this point.

haihane
07-25-2017, 07:08 PM
won't you even do it just to shut them up? (they cannot use the reason that you didn't do what was told as an escape to not escalate your case?)

Eleiyas
07-25-2017, 07:19 PM
I haven't read through every post in this thread, so my apologies.

To update me:

you're all getting random crashes when attempting to game on your units, either ending with a fixed-colour screen or some-such?

Are your temps looking OK?

Apart from doing a factory reset, did the ASUS reps you spoke to have any other things to say?

Toffiewolf
07-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Yes. Temperatures are ok. Reboots occur even at 58 degrees.

Clintlgm
07-25-2017, 07:23 PM
Well maybe not useless, maybe you could use MR (https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree) or some other image software and create a full image of your SSD, then go ahead with a clean install and see if that does fix it. If It does pay attention to how your notebook responds to hardware driver installation and software installation.

If it doesn't fix the issue restore your SSD with the Image you created and you haven't lost anything but some of your time.

Use MCT (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) tool to create and Install USB, be sure to boot to the USB UEFI, if your not positive you know how to do this follow Gps3dx sticky thread (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation))

MusicalDucky
07-25-2017, 07:26 PM
won't you even do it just to shut them up? (they cannot use the reason that you didn't do what was told as an escape to not escalate your case?)

I guess it comes down to how much your free time is worth. I won't risk my time on this laptop at this point.

Clintlgm
07-25-2017, 07:39 PM
Well you know it may not be a solution, its only something you can try that may or may not fix your notebook, we have been having issues with windows installing there native drivers with each major upgrade, sometimes they cause conflicts with results that you are experiencing. I myself have experience this with a few BSOD, While I haven't had to reinstall, I have gone in and removed drivers and reinstalled Asus approved drivers from there website Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)Its not just our notebooks. I've also had to uninstall a windows update and block them from reinstalling until the next upgrade. I keep all driver updates from running in windows updates. So you can do the same or simple do a clean install and clean install of Asus hardware drivers it may fix you or not. You will eliminate the issue of it being software or driver issue. which leave you and Asus with the probability that you have a hardware issue.

Eleiyas
07-25-2017, 07:44 PM
Yes. Temperatures are ok. Reboots occur even at 58 degrees.

Did you try doing a factory reset?

Are your nVidia/Intel drivers fully up-to-date?

Do you have the built in Intel drivers enabled in the BIOS? Is it the same if you make them disabled?

If yes, then I would be lead to believe that it is a VGA issue, which would then in turn suggest a mainboard issue.

haihane
07-25-2017, 07:44 PM
i'll drop just this: it takes two hands to clap.

asus (from what i can see) did try to help. but if your time is more important than theirs...

MusicalDucky
07-25-2017, 08:11 PM
i'll drop just this: it takes two hands to clap.

asus (from what i can see) did try to help. but if your time is more important than theirs...

I think they need to try a little harder.

Again two months...

I think paying for something constitutes doing your part don't you?

haihane
07-25-2017, 08:14 PM
i give up lol.
looks like your mind is set. i wish you best of luck.

Bahz
07-26-2017, 03:02 AM
I have received update from our R&D team that this issue is confirmed to be a hardware related issue and the notebook needs to be sent back for repair. Please send back your notebook for RMA and please PM me with your serial number and RMA#.

Toffiewolf
07-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Hi Bahz
I'm in Cape Town, South Africa.
I contacted Asus Support South Africa this morning and asked them where I can send my laptop. They told me they are not aware of this issue.

Can you assist? Where should I be sending the laptop?
I don't want to send it and then receive it back in the same condition.

Also... Asus did not even want to look at the link I sent them about this thread. They said it is not endorsed by them so they don't care.

Bahz
07-26-2017, 09:41 AM
We'll work out all the details internally and will let you know when to send it in. We also need to verify if the part is available at the local service centers, if it isn't then we'll have them order it ASAP. Thanks.

drazac
07-26-2017, 12:54 PM
Would you mind telling us what hardware part is causing an issue?

workshop777
07-26-2017, 02:19 PM
Would you mind telling us what hardware part is causing an issue?

Considering removal of the ROG gaming center software fix d my issue, I'm curious of this as well.

Bahz,
I'm currently out of town with family but I gotbyourbPM. I will get you the info you requested when I get home this evening.

Damastif
07-26-2017, 02:27 PM
Considering removal of the ROG gaming center software fix d my issue, I'm curious of this as well.

I removed gaming center too but it's not help!

MusicalDucky
07-26-2017, 04:08 PM
We'll work out all the details internally and will let you know when to send it in. We also need to verify if the part is available at the local service centers, if it isn't then we'll have them order it ASAP. Thanks.

Now that is good service! :)

Can you give us some details about the hardware problem?

Things like:

What specifically is causing the problem
Whether it going to be fixed or replaced with an updated component
How frequently does it occur

drazac
07-26-2017, 08:51 PM
Greetings,

just to give an update like I said I would (although, it doesn't matter at this point because ASUS R&D have found the problem)

I have downgraded bios to version 303 and made a fresh installation of Windows.

For initial testing I used Extreme IntelBurnTest to check whether the system will crash during its 2 testing runs that lasted for little more than an hour. It didn't, so I was ready to put notebook on another 24 hour trial using Prime95 SmallFFT test with round off checking turned ON, with HWInfo in the background that monitors temps and voltages.

System rebooted itself after amazing 22 hours and 30 minutes, with Event Log reporting a BugCheck.

What I have noticed, while doing IBT and Prime test, that, CPU speed was set to 2890MHz, core voltage was fluctuating around 1.04 - 1.1V, temperature for 3 cores was around 81-83 degrees celsius, but one core (Core #1) was at worryingsome 96 degrees (around 15C difference between other cores). IntelBurntest pushed Core #1 at 97 degrees.

This all happened with default BIOS settings, nothing was modified, nothing was changed. So, I can only imagine what would happen if CPU is at 3.6Ghz (turbo speed) and voltage increased.

So, I really hope this hardware fix/replacement is able to perform magic.

Toffiewolf
07-27-2017, 07:09 AM
Greetings,

just to give an update like I said I would (although, it doesn't matter at this point because ASUS R&D have found the problem)

I have downgraded bios to version 303 and made a fresh installation of Windows.

For initial testing I used Extreme IntelBurnTest to check whether the system will crash during its 2 testing runs that lasted for little more than an hour. It didn't, so I was ready to put notebook on another 24 hour trial using Prime95 SmallFFT test with round off checking turned ON, with HWInfo in the background that monitors temps and voltages.

System rebooted itself after amazing 22 hours and 30 minutes, with Event Log reporting a BugCheck.

What I have noticed, while doing IBT and Prime test, that, CPU speed was set to 2890MHz, core voltage was fluctuating around 1.04 - 1.1V, temperature for 3 cores was around 81-83 degrees celsius, but one core (Core #1) was at worryingsome 96 degrees (around 15C difference between other cores). IntelBurntest pushed Core #1 at 97 degrees.

This all happened with default BIOS settings, nothing was modified, nothing was changed. So, I can only imagine what would happen if CPU is at 3.6Ghz (turbo speed) and voltage increased.

So, I really hope this hardware fix/replacement is able to perform magic.

Thanks Drazac
Really awesome of you to do this testing.

T1200
07-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem. I recently bought an Asus FX553VD and I keep getting unexpected shut downs after 10 minutes of playing Overwatch and Tekken 7. It's been two weeks since I bought it and I'm getting frustrated because of the price of this laptop.

The temp hits around 45c - 60c and I usually set the fan boost to 90% in the ROG gaming center. I couldn't find anywhere in the system where you could adjust the temp limit to prevent shutdowns.

The drivers and windows/asus are all up to date. I watch the temp all the time, no issues yet keep getting shutdowns after 10 minutes of playing games.

Bahz
07-31-2017, 03:11 AM
Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem. I recently bought an Asus FX553VD and I keep getting unexpected shut downs after 10 minutes of playing Overwatch and Tekken 7. It's been two weeks since I bought it and I'm getting frustrated because of the price of this laptop.

The temp hits around 45c - 60c and I usually set the fan boost to 90% in the ROG gaming center. I couldn't find anywhere in the system where you could adjust the temp limit to prevent shutdowns.

The drivers and windows/asus are all up to date. I watch the temp all the time, no issues yet keep getting shutdowns after 10 minutes of playing games.

This is unrelated to this issue as it's a completely different model with different EE board layout and design. For your case please contact technical support and apply for RMA if troubleshooting steps don't work.

Bahz
07-31-2017, 03:14 AM
Regarding to this issue, it's caused by the GPU. Not all GPUs are equal and same with CPUs, this issue only is occurring for very small volume of users. A PCB replacement on the notebook is required to help improve stability for the GPU, so therefore the notebook must be returned for RMA to fix this issue.

drazac
07-31-2017, 03:52 AM
It has been a while since I was paying close attention to latest tech, overclocking and testing software, however, how can a GPU in idle mode cause a system crash while Prime95 is testing CPU?

Also, my notebook was already RMAd and sent to repair center where tehnician changed entire system board. If I am not mistaken system board is motherboard or PCB as you call it. GPU is soldered on the motherboard, therefore, problem should have been resolved. But it wasn't. Could it be that PCB replaced was faulty too?

Can you shed more light (details) about the cause of the problem?

Also, when you say not every GPU is the same, what exactly do you mean? My GTX1070 is not the same as someone who has no problem?

workshop777
07-31-2017, 01:25 PM
It has been a while since I was paying close attention to latest tech, overclocking and testing software, however, how can a GPU in idle mode cause a system crash while Prime95 is testing CPU?

Also, my notebook was already RMAd and sent to repair center where tehnician changed entire system board. If I am not mistaken system board is motherboard or PCB as you call it. GPU is soldered on the motherboard, therefore, problem should have been resolved. But it wasn't. Could it be that PCB replaced was faulty too?

Also, when you say not every GPU is the same, what exactly do you mean? My GTX1070 is not the same as someone who has no problem?
Sounds like if it was replaced with the same exact model as before then you would still have the same problems.

Bahz
08-01-2017, 04:28 AM

They likely didn't replace the correct part or the part has issues, that's what I'm assuming is the case. Internal information has been updated very recently to make repair technicians are aware of this issue and the correct repair instructions are followed.

Mr.VooDoo
08-03-2017, 02:56 AM
Hello everybody,

I think I have the same problem like you all. If i play videogames like ARMA 3, Space Engineers, Dying Light etc. my notebook shuts off and restarts automatically.
But that dont happen always whene I´m playing, sometimes it´s happen after 15 min or after 1 – 4 hours.
I dont get any bluescreen but i can see there are Error messages in the event viewer (always the same).

I unistal the ROG Gaming Center and made a update for the Nvidia Driver and the BIOS (to 302) without any effect.

My System: ASUS ROG G752VS-BA336T with GTX1070 (with G752VSK BIOS)

Error Message:

- System
- Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 5

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2017-07-26T22:30:18.801338400Z

EventRecordID 8104

Correlation

- Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer ******

- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData
BugcheckCode 278
BugcheckParameter1 0xffffe703372b04a0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI true

So i have some questions:

1. Do you all have the same error like me?

2. Dit someone of you found a way to replicate the issue (to make sure whene there is a fix, it is solved if i try it)?

3. Question for ASUS – How do you test the systems after the repair during the RMA?

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
08-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Anyone have send it and got it fixed? Anyone? My local RMA center have no info about this issue and no ideas about fix...

drazac
08-03-2017, 12:05 PM
I was contacted by ASUS support to fill in necessary RMA details and schedule a pickup for my notebook. I was told my case will be treated as "special" and repair center will be notifyed beforehand.

For all of you who are having problems, testing stability of this notebook by playing games is only a start. If you really wanna be sure that something is wrong, use testing tools such as Prime95, OCCT, Intel Burn Test, Heaven benchmark, Memtest etc, and do a full 24 hours torture test. If your system crashes/freezes/reboots or test returns an error, you can be pretty sure that something is wrong and the notebook needs to be RMA'd.

It is a nuisance to do these tests, yes, but at least you'll have a solid proof whether notebook is stable or not.

Bahz
08-04-2017, 02:11 AM
I was contacted by ASUS support to fill in necessary RMA details and schedule a pickup for my notebook. I was told my case will be treated as "special" and repair center will be notifyed beforehand.

For all of you who are having problems, testing stability of this notebook by playing games is only a start. If you really wanna be sure that something is wrong, use testing tools such as Prime95, OCCT, Intel Burn Test, Heaven benchmark, Memtest etc, and do a full 24 hours torture test. If your system crashes/freezes/reboots or test returns an error, you can be pretty sure that something is wrong and the notebook needs to be RMA'd.

It is a nuisance to do these tests, yes, but at least you'll have a solid proof whether notebook is stable or not.

I have a better recommendation, try using RealBench benchmark for quick test to see if current settings are semi-stable and run the stress test for over 24 hours and if it can pass run 24 hours without issues then I guarantee that your system is 100% stable. Recently I've OC'd my system and ran Prime95 on blend test for over 48 hours and it was completely stable, ran all other graphic benchmarks like: Heaven, Valley and Time Spy and it passed all the tests. When I ran RealBench stress test it failed 13 hours in and I knew this system wasn't 100% stable. Other professional overclocking enthusiasts recommend RealBench as it's probably one of the best stress test and benchmarks available. Try it out.

idankinov
08-04-2017, 04:37 AM
Having same Issue. Laptop will restart randomly on some games.

Try to remove the ROG Gaming Center. It improved a bit but not enough. Run every test, full stress test with 3dMARk, different RAM tests, nothing found and problem still happening.
I have now contact the asus support to see what they have to say.

Toffiewolf
08-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Thanks Bahz.
Asus service manager from South Africa contacted me via email to send my laptop in for RMA.
Unfortunately for me, no one was willing to come pick it up. I had to drive in myself to the service centre in town to drop it.
I have to be honest, I am really sad about this ordeal.
I received my laptop 4 July. I'm leaving on Sunday for a business trip and this was the reason I bought the laptop. Still no laptop.
I don't think I'll ever buy asus again. This has left too much of a sour taste in my mouth. :(
At the very LEAST I would expect some compensation for my inconvenience. Whether it be RAM or whatever.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
08-04-2017, 06:49 PM
I have a better recommendation, try using RealBench benchmark for quick test to see if current settings are semi-stable and run the stress test for over 24 hours and if it can pass run 24 hours without issues then I guarantee that your system is 100% stable. Recently I've OC'd my system and ran Prime95 on blend test for over 48 hours and it was completely stable, ran all other graphic benchmarks like: Heaven, Valley and Time Spy and it passed all the tests. When I ran RealBench stress test it failed 13 hours in and I knew this system wasn't 100% stable. Other professional overclocking enthusiasts recommend RealBench as it's probably one of the best stress test and benchmarks available. Try it out.

How did you ran RealBench Stress Test for 13 hours? For me its 8H maximum option

idankinov
08-04-2017, 10:02 PM
I run the RealBench Benchmark for 8 hours ( the max ) and there was no problem. Log in to GuildWars 2 play for 3 minutes and BOOM laptop restarts.
..... This is way to annoying ... and there is not much info about it.
After my contact with the support they didn't even read this Thread. They have no clue about the problem.
But in the thread we hear that there is some problem with Hardware Parts in some laptops ( This is normal in like 1 in 100 000 to have defect or something ).

What part is the problem ? how long is the repair ? Can we have some info please :)

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
08-05-2017, 11:17 AM
I run the RealBench Benchmark for 8 hours ( the max ) and there was no problem. Log in to GuildWars 2 play for 3 minutes and BOOM laptop restarts.
..... This is way to annoying ... and there is not much info about it.
After my contact with the support they didn't even read this Thread. They have no clue about the problem.
But in the thread we hear that there is some problem with Hardware Parts in some laptops ( This is normal in like 1 in 100 000 to have defect or something ).

What part is the problem ? how long is the repair ? Can we have some info please :)

Same. Just runed 8h realbench, everythink was fine. Just temps went crazy gpu - 82c and cpu -95c av.
We need info what to do is anyone from asus care this or wtf? More and more peoples writing about that issue here, we bought gaming laptops and we cant use them for gaming?! Where is support? What for we payd?

Bahz you told thad asus know that issue, that they know what do we need to change, so please specificly what do we need to change? What part? Simple answer and lock the thread it will be solved... my RMA center asking what part they gonna have to change? They will order that part, right now they dont see any issues and dont know why its restarts in all games.

Info please....

Inform RMA centers about that issue and guide technicals wtf they gonna have to do... nobody doesnt have received any info about G752vsk .... why? ....

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
08-05-2017, 11:27 AM
I have received update from our R&D team that this issue is confirmed to be a hardware related issue and the notebook needs to be sent back for repair. Please send back your notebook for RMA and please PM me with your serial number and RMA#.

2017.08.05 Lithuania RMA Center Servisa ICT still have no confirm about that from asus.
Problem still persist. Still unable to diagnose without running a game. Still asus ignores us.

What we should do next? Sue? ...

Sheltem
08-05-2017, 09:54 PM
I don't know about the new VSK version, since it's a different CPU and BIOS and all, but the stock configuration of the Skylake 6820HK was just pushing way too high voltages and in any CPU intensive scenario generating enough heat to reach 95C and above, hence restarting in less than 30 minutes after the CPU intensive scenario was kicked off (excessive heat reproducible, exact moment of time when immediate shutdown threshold is finally hit varies).

Stock Turbo Boost multiplier settings were
1 core active 38x
2 cores active 38x
3 cores active 37x
4 cores active 36x

Currently I am running 34x with a -80mV undervolt and I do not run into this issue. At all.
It is possible that some tinkering with how well the heatsink touches the CPU might help to a certain extent (2 cores are always 10-12 C hotter than the other two), but for the time being I just don't want to waste time on a disassembly, and especially not on a RMA. And honestly, I really do not think a RMA could change anything. The laptop cannot physically disperse the heat fast enough. And that's tested by putting it on top of a working Trust Azul cooling pad, with the disk/ram access cover removed (yes, that large piece with what is named as air vents in the manual) to further increase airflow.

Personally, I have decided to accept this and run TB at 3.4 GHz on my VS.

Meeliskt
08-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Whats your GPU speed?

OK, now mine G752 are craching again in games. Have to downclock GPU about 400Mhz to get it function properly. CPU-GPU temps are high 60s and low 70s so no problem there. Will RMA mine next week.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
08-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Btw event manager warning on crash is event 4101:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered
Maybe this info helps some one who cares

idankinov
08-06-2017, 07:30 PM
OK, now mine G752 are craching again in games. Have to downclock GPU about 400Mhz to get it function properly. CPU-GPU temps are high 60s and low 70s so no problem there. Will RMA mine next week.

Same DownClocking using MSI Afterburer + uninstalling Game Center made it stable. But I don't like this "workaround".
Can you give us update on the RMA and what are they saying, how much time it takes and do they fix it. 10x in advance

Bahz
08-07-2017, 02:22 AM
2017.08.05 Lithuania RMA Center Servisa ICT still have no confirm about that from asus.
Problem still persist. Still unable to diagnose without running a game. Still asus ignores us.

What we should do next? Sue? ...

We're currently in process to collect back a few unit to confirm on this issue then they will release internal notice for all service teams. Do note that this issue is occurring for less than probably 0.5% (my guess) of all stock so that's why there aren't that many people on this thread. All CPUs and GPUs are not equal, so you always have chance of getting a bad one that could cause these kinds of issues.

Bahz
08-07-2017, 02:53 AM
For all those who are having this issue and confirmed that uninstalling ROG Gaming Center doesn't fix the issue, please send me a private message with the following information:

Product S/N:
Country and city:
Full name:
Phone #:
Email:
Previous RMA#s:
Previous Case ID#s:

Thanks.

Daniil_31rus
08-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Hello. I have the same problem.

ASUS ROG G752VS-BA188T

drazac
08-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Greetings,

Just to give a feedback on the repair status of my laptop.

Asus support has contacted me and said that my notebook will have priority repair status.

Repair center recieved my notebook on August 8th and it is still in the process of being repaired.

Unlike first time when I sent my laptop to be repaired, time it took to complete the repair process was of no issue.

However, now I am in need to be resolved asap.

Every day I have been checking the repair progress online and for the past 4 working days, it has been stuck at Waiting for feedback from Asus support.

Decided to make a phonecall to a repair center to check what is going on.

Technican responsible for the repair of my notebook said that Asus is telling him what to do: To run 3dmark, pcmark and other benchmarking tools. Sadly, technician didnt know anything about the issue R&D team discovored. So I had to quickly debrief him. He said that he wanted to replace the motherboard, but Asus kept asking to do different benchmarks each day. He didn't know, that my notebook has already gone through one RMA process where the entire motherboard was replaced. Luckily I managed to fill in these details as well.

It seems they, Asus, decided to make my notebook a testing guinee pig.

My understanding was that the issue has already been detected and that the part that needs replacing is prepared and ready in the repair center.

So I am not really pleased of this delay, because I need my notebook asap.

It would have been good if Asus has made some sort of replacement/compensation.

Bahz
08-22-2017, 03:50 AM
Greetings,

Just to give a feedback on the repair status of my laptop.

Asus support has contacted me and said that my notebook will have priority repair status.

Repair center recieved my notebook on August 8th and it is still in the process of being repaired.

Unlike first time when I sent my laptop to be repaired, time it took to complete the repair process was of no issue.

However, now I am in need to be resolved asap.

Every day I have been checking the repair progress online and for the past 4 working days, it has been stuck at Waiting for feedback from Asus support.

Decided to make a phonecall to a repair center to check what is going on.

Technican responsible for the repair of my notebook said that Asus is telling him what to do: To run 3dmark, pcmark and other benchmarking tools. Sadly, technician didnt know anything about the issue R&D team discovored. So I had to quickly debrief him. He said that he wanted to replace the motherboard, but Asus kept asking to do different benchmarks each day. He didn't know, that my notebook has already gone through one RMA process where the entire motherboard was replaced. Luckily I managed to fill in these details as well.

It seems they, Asus, decided to make my notebook a testing guinee pig.

My understanding was that the issue has already been detected and that the part that needs replacing is prepared and ready in the repair center.

So I am not really pleased of this delay, because I need my notebook asap.

It would have been good if Asus has made some sort of replacement/compensation.

I'll follow up on this case for you, seems like others are getting the PCB replaced without problems so not sure why they're telling him to run stress tests and benchmarks.

gateway4shadow
08-22-2017, 05:42 AM
Hello, I seem to have been having this issue since May (purchased end of April) - but it happened predominately with Blizzards "Heroes of the Storm". It would usually hang audio first, then screen would freeze, flash black, reboot...
At that time I tried changing GPU clock with msi afterburner & had also uninstalled the gaming center. Did not seem to help so I put everything back the way it was.

In the next couple weeks I will be reinstalling w10 and avoiding all the bloatware to see if this issue miraculously goes away.
In the meantime, I just got this issue tonight from running Guild Wars 2 - (now) WHITE screen hang, audio hang, reboot.
I decided to try google again- this time with both model and error from event viewer. Stubbed my toe on this forum! Love the info in it.

I would like to know what info I need to collect to inquire about an RMA for my unit - or any fixes / thoughts admin would have on this.

I have: G752VS-RB71K-CB
Nothing has been changed on it hardware wise now. Never opened up. I am in Canada - purchased from Bestbuy Canada. I do have their warranty as well. I am curious if i should go thru them (obviously could be faster shipping etc)

After reading the majority of this thread I did fish up my login for here and make sure I had this laptop registered - I do not recall seeing the VIP card (do I need this?).
I also discovered there IS an RMA center on the other side of the country (so most likely 3-10 day mail ONE WAY - hoping to avoid this).

Thank you in advance for your time in responding!

Bahz
08-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Hello, I seem to have been having this issue since May (purchased end of April) - but it happened predominately with Blizzards "Heroes of the Storm". It would usually hang audio first, then screen would freeze, flash black, reboot...
At that time I tried changing GPU clock with msi afterburner & had also uninstalled the gaming center. Did not seem to help so I put everything back the way it was.

In the next couple weeks I will be reinstalling w10 and avoiding all the bloatware to see if this issue miraculously goes away.
In the meantime, I just got this issue tonight from running Guild Wars 2 - (now) WHITE screen hang, audio hang, reboot.
I decided to try google again- this time with both model and error from event viewer. Stubbed my toe on this forum! Love the info in it.

I would like to know what info I need to collect to inquire about an RMA for my unit - or any fixes / thoughts admin would have on this.

I have: G752VS-RB71K-CB
Nothing has been changed on it hardware wise now. Never opened up. I am in Canada - purchased from Bestbuy Canada. I do have their warranty as well. I am curious if i should go thru them (obviously could be faster shipping etc)

After reading the majority of this thread I did fish up my login for here and make sure I had this laptop registered - I do not recall seeing the VIP card (do I need this?).
I also discovered there IS an RMA center on the other side of the country (so most likely 3-10 day mail ONE WAY - hoping to avoid this).

Thank you in advance for your time in responding!

Please try contacting customer service to setup RMA, if you have any issues with them then please send me a PM with the following info:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:
Product S/N:

Thanks.

v1p0FF
08-23-2017, 09:23 AM
Hello.
Just leave my observations here. (sorry for my broken english)

I noticed that if I install older drivers for VGA there is no failure and a critical reboot (like Kernel-Power 41).
In this case i see error 'Display driver stopped responding and was recovered.'
I tested on 378.78 and 369.56 (from Asus page).

But when i install last 385.28 i catch this crash again (freezing screen, reboot, if OS is allowed to reboot on critical).
Crash happens non-periodically, i may playing for some time and no issues (i checked many times on same place of game)
or i may catch it on 1-3 minutes.
GPU-Z log shows me different voltages.
I think it's unstable on GPU Core Clock 1860 MHz and GPU VDDC 1.062V.
When crash happens - MSI Afterburner shows 'boost' 1860 MHz and last GPU-Z log writing is 1860 MHz on 1.062V.
When no crash - MSI Afterburner shows only 1835 MHz on 'boost', but GPU-Z log registers 1860 MHz on 1.05V or 1.062V.
All tests was made in same location (savegame).
I can not yet say why in the same game on the same place the video card works in different ways (I will be happy with the instructions)

This behavior is very strange and does not allow us to say 'this is broken'.
It can be called unstable.
Maybe there is another way or test?
Any comments please.

PS: some crying words
I like to play computer games (everlasting memory to ZX Spectrum 48) and all my previous laptops did not allow to play some games, even at medium settings.
I always had to adjust and reconfigure something.
And now the happy time has come! I have an almost top-end laptop and I can play almost any game without thinking about the settings!
But NO! I again have to read tons of forums and think about how to be.
I thought that cost of this laptop I can afford to just play.
Very sadly.

gateway4shadow
08-24-2017, 02:23 AM
Hello again! After leaving my previous reply (a couple above) I decided on a whim to check once more (had not since June) about updates for any drivers on Asus website.
I found bios 310! I was previously using bios v306.
I flashed with the tool provided and could then run games without the random restarts. I am going to stress it further tonight to confirm. But I do believe this could have fixed the issue? Bios 310 appears to have been released to us on Asus drivers /software pages beginning of August!
I am hoping this helps anybody else who has yet to rma!
I will update in the coming week to confirm if this has fixed it on my part.
Ty all :)

Bahz
08-24-2017, 02:48 AM
Hello again! After leaving my previous reply (a couple above) I decided on a whim to check once more (had not since June) about updates for any drivers on Asus website.
I flashed with the tool provided and could then run games without the random restarts. I am going to stress it further tonight to confirm. But I do believe this could have fixed the issue? Bios 310 appears to have been released to us on Asus drivers /software pages beginning of August!

I never received any updates that BIOS 310 would fix this issue. It would be great if you can share your results after your testing. Thanks.

v1p0FF
08-24-2017, 08:41 AM

hello.
All my checks (my previous post) was made after i updated BIOS 310 and installed clean OS.
There is no fix.
Also i wrote a message about problem to my Asus service center 07/25/2017. They answer: "In the error, the Intel® Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Drive and Intel® Rapid Start Technology Driver failed. They need to be reinstalled. And also update the BIOS, reinstall the ATK and VGA drivers and then put the Turbo Gear Updater".
Before i got that info i installed clean OS, all drivers, but Nvidia driver i installed 378.78. As it seemed to me there was no crashes and i wrote to Asus about it. It looked like their advice is right. But it happens again and continue since 08/20/2017. I guess it starts after i update VGA driver to last. Then i again installed clean OS and drivers, VGA 378.78 (also last Nvidia or VGA from Asus page) and tested. Nothing good, results in my previous post.

Hapablap
08-28-2017, 09:50 PM
I originally created this thread and with Bahz' help, I've started the RMA process. I'll update this thread once I receive my laptop back.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
08-31-2017, 01:00 PM
I originally created this thread and with Bahz' help, I've started the RMA process. I'll update this thread once I receive my laptop back.

I just registered my device to local RMA too., provided all collected information in last two months, hopefull that it is fixable.

BTW i have added and HHD in place of my CDROM becouse i dont use a CD's., should i remove it and place back CDROM for RMA ?

Sheltem
08-31-2017, 04:25 PM
I just registered my device to local RMA too., provided all collected information in last two months, hopefull that it is fixable.

BTW i have added and HHD in place of my CDROM becouse i dont use a CD's., should i remove it and place back CDROM for RMA ?

That would be the best thing to do, RMAing as you have received it.

v1p0FF
09-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Also with the Bahz's help I gave my laptop today to local service center. In the Service Center, I was waited for because the service of Asus warned them (thanks to Bahz). I was told that they will perform the testing and 09/04 will be able to find out about the state of the problem. I hope that they was noticed that the problem is nonperiodic nature and they knows ways to find it.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
09-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Also with the Bahz's help I gave my laptop today to local service center. In the Service Center, I was waited for because the service of Asus warned them (thanks to Bahz). I was told that they will perform the testing and 09/04 will be able to find out about the state of the problem. I hope that they was noticed that the problem is nonperiodic nature and they knows ways to find it.

i gave mine too, but sadly they still have no info from asus :/

Bahz
09-02-2017, 08:29 AM
I have already passed the info over to our contact windows from HQ service team. They should contact the local teams to provide additional details for them.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
09-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Thanks Bahz, my local RMA (SERVISA ICT) provided changed RMA status "Waiting Parts - Mainboard"

Meeliskt
09-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Received my G752 from repair. Motherboard got replaced. Took 2 and half week. After some gaming everything seems OK.
Except 2 things. They didn't activate windows again with new MB. Win 10 digital license is tied with MB. I have now unactivated windows and after hours of trying I cant find a way to activate it again. And second thing. GPU ventilator makes strange noise sometimes. Was dead silent before repair. Maybe badly put together or something.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
09-03-2017, 06:34 PM
I scare about my windows 10 licence too... but about crashig? Its fixed? New MB works fine? No more crashig? :)

Meeliskt
09-03-2017, 08:35 PM
I scare about my windows 10 licence too... but about crashig? Its fixed? New MB works fine? No more crashig? :)

No crashing. Works like a charm.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
09-04-2017, 03:55 AM
No crashing. Works like a charm.

glad to hear that, hope they fix mine too :)

idankinov
09-04-2017, 06:02 AM
Just wanted to Leave a follow up.

I want to Bahz for the support.

I gave my laptop to the local RMA and they fixed it after one week and a half.

The problem was in the Motherboard. They have changed it.

Currently the laptop is 99% stable. Had One restart after 13+ hours of heavy load, and that I find Acceptable. ( Tested the laptop and loaded it for more than 48 hours )

About Microsoft win 10 keys. Just make a Microsoft account and tie the key to it.
This way you can change laptops, computers etc without needing new key :)

Again Many thanks to Bahz.

P.S. Bahz where do we send you beer ? :D

Bahz
09-04-2017, 07:52 AM
Received my G752 from repair. Motherboard got replaced. Took 2 and half week. After some gaming everything seems OK.
Except 2 things. They didn't activate windows again with new MB. Win 10 digital license is tied with MB. I have now unactivated windows and after hours of trying I cant find a way to activate it again. And second thing. GPU ventilator makes strange noise sometimes. Was dead silent before repair. Maybe badly put together or something.

You can call Microsoft Activation and provide them with the key and they should activate for you if the automatic activation doesn't work. Next time after it's activated as mentioned by idankinov, you can tie the key to a Microsoft email account. For the fan noise, do you have a can of compressed air? Try spraying into that to see if it fixes the problem.

Bahz
09-04-2017, 07:55 AM
Just wanted to Leave a follow up.

I want to Bahz for the support.

I gave my laptop to the local RMA and they fixed it after one week and a half.

The problem was in the Motherboard. They have changed it.

Currently the laptop is 99% stable. Had One restart after 13+ hours of heavy load, and that I find Acceptable. ( Tested the laptop and loaded it for more than 48 hours )

About Microsoft win 10 keys. Just make a Microsoft account and tie the key to it.
This way you can change laptops, computers etc without needing new key :)

Again Many thanks to Bahz.

P.S. Bahz where do we send you beer ? :D

You're welcome :D

v1p0FF
09-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Greetings.
I was informed of the results of the diagnosis. They are positive!
The specialists of the service center performed several tests (Furmark, 3DMark...) and found nothing. The master said that he "reset NVidia settings".
But I would not take the laptop to the service center, if I did not complete all the actions I can (resetting Nvidia, reinstalling the OS). All "resets" was done by myself - sorry, it's not helps me.
Do the Asus team in Russia really know about the problem?

drazac
09-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Greetings,

just to leave a short feedback.

My notebook was received at local repair center on August 8th and it has been "in the process" of repair for more than a month now.

For the last 8 working days, status has been sitting at "WB5 Wait for aging". Initially I thought notebook was in final stages of testing. However as the days went by, my patience with this whole situation has been rapidly growing thin. Few days ago I contacted local repair center to check what is going on.

Engineer responsible for the repair said:
Motherboard was replaced, but there were other issues (battery and lid LED not working - which I reported) that were giving them problems. I am not 100% sure what did engineer say because I had troubles hearing him over the phone, but i think he said, next to motherboard, LED lights were also replaced, but they just kept dying on them. So they have contacted ASUS technical support in order to receive orders on how to proceed, but it took days to receive any word from them so for the most part, notebook was just sitting there collecting dust. Engineer told me himself that this is taking way too long.

Situation is very unsettling for me, because, unlike the first time I RMA'd my notebook *(yes, this is my second RMA with this notebook) time was not an issue. However, this time it is and I had hoped that the matter would be resolved quickly, especially because, before sending the notebook, I was contacted by ASUS support and was promised that my case would have priority status.

I sent an email to ASUS support, to check what are my options, either getting new notebook or my money back. Sadly, they told me they couldn't do anything until the notebook is returned from repair.

A moment ago, I checked the repair status, and it seems my notebook was handled to the delivery service and it should be delivered to me either tomorrow or day after tomorrow.

Icing on the cake will be to find out that the issue with the notebook remains.
To be perfectly honest, I don't consider my notebook to be new anymore. Which is a shame for 4 and half months old notebook (2 out of which are spent in the repair lab). So, I will be returning this unit. Still have to decide should I ask for a new unit or get my money back.

My apologies for this rant. I think I have done more than enough in providing very detailed feedback both here on this thread and to ASUS support and local repair center. I read reports from other people saying how they received their unit after 1 and half weeks, 2 weeks... I just wasn't expecting this much of a delay for mine

Clintlgm
09-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Hmm I would have shot off an PM to bahz and asked him to assist working with the repair station. He is a Asus Employee. Should your notebook come back not fixed keep all your documentation booth RMA's and PM him he can be very helpful.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
09-14-2017, 09:08 AM
2 days ago received my pc back from rma, main board was changed, 5h gameplay gta 5 in ultra with no problems, but i left some downloads over night and 2:37 at night it crashes with kernel-power , after some research in google and changed some power settings it looks stable for me.

Thanks bahz, and all others for all info provided.
Feed back i 3 month after work.

Bahz
09-15-2017, 09:17 AM
2 days ago received my pc back from rma, main board was changed, 5h gameplay gta 5 in ultra with no problems, but i left some downloads over night and 2:37 at night it crashes with kernel-power , after some research in google and changed some power settings it looks stable for me.

Thanks bahz, and all others for all info provided.
Feed back i 3 month after work.

Thanks for the update and it's good to hear that the issue is now resolved for you.

Mr.VooDoo
09-15-2017, 04:34 PM
Greetings,

my feedback after RMA.

I send my notebook to RMA (in Germany) and they recived it at 22.08.2017.
Inside the box was the notebook with sreenshots from the error-message and a description from the error with informations to this thread at the notebook and printed.

The reparation was finished after 1 day :confused: .

I got my notebook back at 25.08.2017.

So inside the repair-report was the info that they did not found the Problem :( .
But they reseted the system because there was an error (great I reseted the system before i send it to them).

So i was away from home so i could not test the system until today .

I started Supreme Commander began a fight and got the same error after 2 min.
Restart
I started Supreme Commander began a fight and got the same error after 4 min.
Restart
I started Supreme Commander began a fight and got the same error after 30 min.
Restart
:(

I think i have to send it againe to RMA.

Bahz can you help me?

Hapablap
09-18-2017, 01:09 AM
I'm pretty sure I am going to have the same experience once I get my laptop back.
The only status update I received was that they tested it with DOOM and GTA V and found no problems whatsoever.
Even though it crashes 0-15mins within playing those games.

Not sure what my solution will be after that. I bought this at the end of Feb but have been battling this crashing problem ever since I started playing newer games.

Greetings,

my feedback after RMA.

Inside the box was the notebook with sreenshots from the error-message and a description from the error with informations to this thread at the notebook and printed.

So inside the repair-report was the info that they did not found the Problem :( .
But they reseted the system because there was an error (great I reseted the system before i send it to them).

Restart
Restart
Restart

Bahz can you help me?

Bahz
09-19-2017, 07:02 AM
It seems like most people so far who have sent it in with this problem, the test software tool shows that it fails the test. For those where the problem isn't caused by hardware, it will show as pass. So far still more people who sent in for RMA have had this issue resolved, it's unfortunate to see that unfortunately for Mr.VooDoo's case that the issue still exists.

Bahz
09-19-2017, 07:10 AM
Greetings,

my feedback after RMA.

Restart
Restart
Restart

Bahz can you help me?

I already passed the request over to our service team to have someone contact you, please let me know if you don't hear back within 2 business days.

drazac
09-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Greetings everyone,

Last Friday I received my notebook back from the repair center.

I immediately made two tests. One was 8 hours stress test using ASUS RealBenchmark and the other one was 27 hours Aida64 test.

Both tests passed. I am gonna do one more 24-hour stress test using Prime 95 SmallFFT CPU.

So far everything looks good, only slight nuisance is that notebook casing is slightly damaged on the bottom side. Transparent plastic doesn't seem to be set in place, also some screw-holes are missing the rubbery protection that goes at top

v1p0FF
09-19-2017, 03:50 PM
So far everything looks good, only slight nuisance is that notebook casing is slightly damaged on the bottom side. Transparent plastic doesn't seem to be set in place, also some screw-holes are missing the rubbery protection that goes at top

If I'm not mistaken, these are the holes for the air intake for cooling. The installed transparent plastic seems deformed, but it should be so (maybe those who have a laptop at hand will correct me).

The presence of scratches and appearance in general should be checked when received at the service center before putting a signature in the act of work performed. Now the service center can state that you yourself have scratched yourself or lost something.

drazac
09-19-2017, 04:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken, these are the holes for the air intake for cooling. The installed transparent plastic seems deformed, but it should be so (maybe those who have a laptop at hand will correct me).

The presence of scratches and appearance in general should be checked when received at the service center before putting a signature in the act of work performed. Now the service center can state that you yourself have scratched yourself or lost something.

You think I should report it or RMA it again

v1p0FF
09-19-2017, 04:53 PM
You think I should report it or RMA it again

I think that this will not be accepted.
At least in my service, before picking up the laptop, I looked at his appearance. There were no scratches and damage. If I ever finally get it from the service, then carefully check the look.
In your case, you can bring a laptop to the service, but inspection will show the presence of scratches, i.e. I think you will be blamed for this.

fresnogamer
09-19-2017, 06:26 PM
So I have the G752VS-XS74K. I have the same issue. Some of it talked about here. No help from anyone, including ASUS directly.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91620-G752VS-XS74K-(Kaby-Lake-7th-Gen-Intel-Core)-Overheating-Issue
(https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91620-G752VS-XS74K-(Kaby-Lake-7th-Gen-Intel-Core)-Overheating-Issue)
With my GTX 970 based G752, I spent almost a year fighting with the RMA department in Milpitas California. I know the location and some of the staff by heart. As a side note, they are not ASUS but a third party RMA center. I have gotten back so many with scratches, dents, missing parts, DOA LCD and one with the wrong main board inside for a $400 cheaper laptop. So keep your eyes out for that stuff.

I had to file a BBB and FTC complaint and be transferred to the highest person they would let me talk to to finally get a replacement that works. They sent me a NEW IN BOX one. Well they sent me two and one did not work out of the box but that is a different story (very complicated). Don't settle for missing rubber screw covers. FIGHT for your hard earned money you spent on this POS.

And if you must, return it and get a Acer or MSI or ANYTHING but ROG. Don't get stuck like me. I did a RMA and they changed the main board. Now I can't return to Amazon because serial number is different.

fresnogamer
09-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Here are some XTU profiles I made to help with keeping it cool. These are very basic but do help me. I also include ones that mimic the ROG Gaming Center profiles. The 29 x Low is one I use a lot to keep heat down and fans quiet.

Bahz
09-20-2017, 02:55 AM
Greetings everyone,

Last Friday I received my notebook back from the repair center.

I immediately made two tests. One was 8 hours stress test using ASUS RealBenchmark and the other one was 27 hours Aida64 test.

Both tests passed. I am gonna do one more 24-hour stress test using Prime 95 SmallFFT CPU.

If you discover physical damage or missing parts, you need to report it as soon as possible. The unit needs to be returned in the same condition, if it isn't then you have every right to request for the parts to be replaced and if that's not possible then they need to replace you with a new unit. The reporting should be immediate after receiving it back and can't be days later as there may be disputes regarding when the damage may have occurred if reported later.

Luft101
09-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Hello everyone.

I already wrote a PM to Bahz telling him my case. Well, on Monday I was handed the laptop, but I have not changed the motherboard, in the RMA report only indicated a error in the BIOS. So they have flashed the BIOS without changing any component and restored the software.

It seems that the problem has been solved, these two days I have been playing smoothly (NBA 2k17 crash to desktop only)

I have to change some power options, update nvidia drivers and even upgrade win 10 to creator (although I'm afraid that when I do it all this is spoiled again the laptop [emoji14] )

Thank you Bahz for the inconvenience, and the others for being a great community.

I will also inform you when I update what I have to do.

sorry for my google's english. Regards

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapatalk

drazac
09-21-2017, 01:14 AM
If you discover physical damage or missing parts, you need to report it as soon as possible. The unit needs to be returned in the same condition, if it isn't then you have every right to request for the parts to be replaced and if that's not possible then they need to replace you with a new unit. The reporting should be immediate after receiving it back and can't be days later as there may be disputes regarding when the damage may have occurred if reported later.

To whom should I report this problem?

Bahz
09-21-2017, 01:48 AM
To whom should I report this problem?

Since you're in the EU you need to report it to the retailer as you probably RMA'd it through the retailer.

Bahz
09-21-2017, 01:50 AM
Hello everyone.

I already wrote a PM to Bahz telling him my case. Well, on Monday I was handed the laptop, but I have not changed the motherboard, in the RMA report only indicated a error in the BIOS. So they have flashed the BIOS without changing any component and restored the software.

It seems that the problem has been solved, these two days I have been playing smoothly (NBA 2k17 crash to desktop only)

I have to change some power options, update nvidia drivers and even upgrade win 10 to creator (although I'm afraid that when I do it all this is spoiled again the laptop [emoji14] )

Thank you Bahz for the inconvenience, and the others for being a great community.

I will also inform you when I update what I have to do.

sorry for my google's english. Regards

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapatalk

Great to hear that the issue is resolved for you and thanks for sharing.

gateway4shadow
09-21-2017, 08:46 PM
I never received any updates that BIOS 310 would fix this issue. It would be great if you can share your results after your testing. Thanks.

As an update bios 310 seemed to make it stable for myself on heroes on the storm but gw2 still will force this restart issue with the GPU after a longer run time (instead of 30 min it's around 2 hrs).
I just wanted to update you and I will be taking your previous advice on doing an rma. I was waiting for bestbuy geeksquad to give the green light as I do have their extended warranty. If I have any issues with Asus rma I will message you. Ty for your patience

Hapablap
09-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Happy to report that I've received my laptop back yesterday.
Unfortunately they reinstalled windows on my HDD instead of the SSD so had to redo that haha.

Haven't had much time for testing yet but I haven't experienced any crashes yet. So fingers crossed! I'll update again once I get more testing in.

greenwraith
10-03-2017, 09:47 AM
is there something new about this problem? the VSK

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
10-03-2017, 11:17 AM
G752VSK , solved after replacing Main Board in the RMA. No other fix its main board deffect. Send it to rma asap. No other way.

greenwraith
10-03-2017, 11:39 AM
ok I will make, what should I tell those who is the fault?
the is not always and the stress test he is without problems and the say then everything is ok

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
10-03-2017, 11:51 AM
For RMA personaly i provided that pc reboots it self with lattest VGA drivers, and crash to desktop with older drivers, provided asus message ID after informing them about issue, provided this thead, and error ID with crash report. You can find your crash reports in event viewer or event logger i dont remember, just search in the windows for " event... " , also after i send it i informed Bahz with the RMA number serial number country etc, he helped for all of us alot, but i think asus allready knows that issue and u will get replaced MB like everyone else. Good luck.

P.S. dont forget to connect your pc with ms account to restore windows license after RMA. U will lose it with replaced MB but u can restore it with troubleshooter after all.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
10-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Look for critical (red one) crash it must be ID 4101 or 41 can be also 51 kernel but anyway it will be red one critical in the event viewer

greenwraith
10-03-2017, 12:09 PM
OK thanks,

I say here modestly how it has gone out in Germany

v1p0FF
10-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Greetings.
Finally completed my laptop repair (it was from 09-01-17 to 10-09-17). Unfortunately I could not take it and test it myself and my friend took it for me.
In the act of work performed indicated that the replacement of the motherboard and the LVDS loop (cable).

Even without paying attention to non-accidents with the devices in the service center (in the bottom there were scratches,

6805068051)

it is very strange that after replacing the motherboard, its serial number remains the same. (my friend looked at the serial number in BIOS)

Meeliskt in his post told about lost license of Windows (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93688-G752VS-Crashing-Issues-(shuts-off-and-restarts-automatically)&p=671923&viewfull=1#post671923).
I guess it normally after change motherboard to new. How can I replace the motherboard and save its serial number? Very strange for me.

I will update results of testing as soon as i back home.

Lieper8
10-21-2017, 06:49 PM
I have the exact issue, same model as mentioned several times. - When i called ASUS support, I was met by the most obnoxious hostile twat, ive ever talked to on the phone. He told me to reinstall windows. Told him I did that, and directed him to this thread. His reply was "I dont have time to look into a full thread, if reinstalling windows didnt help, I cant help you". Then he disconnected the conversation. Litteraly fuming flames out of every single vent in my body, I called back. After scolding the supporter, he appologised and overlooked the thread. His final verdict was sending it in for RMA, but i would most likely be charged for it, as he didnt believe it was a hardware issue. - Ive had three ROG laptops, first one was a G75; burst into flames after 6months.. Second one was a G750; batteryissues (zenboard?), ended up electrocuting me.. Now this. Ive dealt with ASUS support in more than 5years now, never have i experienced them admitting, that it could be a fault of theirs. The G750 had a total of 3 services, came back with more issues than what it left with. They even damaged the screen on the second RMA, claimed it was me who damaged it. Only reason i managed to hold them responsible, was due to very thorough documentation. Reading the responses of the mods here, are just an extent of ASUS hortible service.. As if it was a natural given, uninstalling the ****ty bloatware ASUS installed, would fix the issues. Newsflash; it didnt. But of course, its most likely because YOU did something wrong, and not because ASUS installed a halfarsed program on ypur laptop, that litteraly breaks the graphics card. - Had I known that i needed a diploma in programming to operate ASUS' paperweights, I would never had made that purchase. Luckily, I live in a country that protects its consumers, so I just turn it in at the retailer. But i still have to be without a laptop, while the 3rd party RMA-company ****s my laptop. - Crappy quality laptops, even worse support. Just signing up for this website to make this post, felt like a rerun of the past 5 years dealing with ASUS.. - On a final note; i think its very safe to say, that the 5-6 securitychecks you have to go through, easily shaming general airportsecurity, are absolutely pointless. I dont think anyone would come to this dark sorry corner of the internet, unless its the absolute last resort. - Also, rating this thread only allows me to pick "excellent". This **** is getting too meta now..

V3gard
10-27-2017, 01:49 PM
Hi

Just thought I would share my experience regarding this issue as well.

Bought my computer a couple of months ago, and it was not really any doubt there was a big problem with it. My problem was pretty much the same as described several places in this thread. While gaming, regardless of load and temps it would freeze, entire screen would go white or blue and then hard reset without any kind of error message.

I contacted the retailer who told me to send it to RMA. I did, and I gave all the possible information I could think of, including this thread. The people at my RMA was very friendly and told me this thread was helpful.

Just now, I got information that it was indeed the motherboard that was faulty and needed replacement. Time from ordering part to receiving it was very short, so I suspect they knew about this issue beforehand.

So thank you, everyone who has contributed to this thread, i believe you have helped me a lot!

Will update my post when I receive my laptop and tested it.

Lieper8
10-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Hi

Just thought I would share my experience regarding this issue as well.

Bought my computer a couple of months ago, and it was not really any doubt there was a big problem with it. My problem was pretty much the same as described several places in this thread. While gaming, regardless of load and temps it would freeze, entire screen would go white or blue and then hard reset without any kind of error message.

I contacted the retailer who told me to send it to RMA. I did, and I gave all the possible information I could think of, including this thread. The people at my RMA was very friendly and told me this thread was helpful.

Just now, I got information that it was indeed the motherboard that was faulty and needed replacement. Time from ordering part to receiving it was very short, so I suspect they knew about this issue beforehand.

So thank you, everyone who has contributed to this thread, i believe you have helped me a lot!

Will update my post when I receive my laptop and tested it.
Motherboard is a prettu vital part of the computer, so dont forget to get a full 2year warrenty. - I know ASUS claims thetes only a three-month warranty on their "components", but its not a component thats been changed. Its litteraly the backbone of the product. When dealing with ASUS, you have toshow some teeth, else youll just get treated as a common fool. Just turned mine in for RMA as well, and I held my claim of one month of "fair" time for process. Retailer agreed, and disregarded ASUS claim of three to fpur attempts of fixing the fault. EU law is pretty solid on this point; at no point is is described how many attempts they have to fix it, only how long it may take from the first RMA, to a complete fix of the actual problem. If new problems occour, those problems can then be adressed with a new isolated RMA, and a new fair time to fix it. But as both the danish consumerministry and consumerprotection agencies has informed me; if several faults occour, they CAN argument, that fair time has been exceeded.

V3gard
11-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Motherboard is a prettu vital part of the computer, so dont forget to get a full 2year warrenty. - I know ASUS claims thetes only a three-month warranty on their "components", but its not a component thats been changed. Its litteraly the backbone of the product. When dealing with ASUS, you have toshow some teeth, else youll just get treated as a common fool. Just turned mine in for RMA as well, and I held my claim of one month of "fair" time for process. Retailer agreed, and disregarded ASUS claim of three to fpur attempts of fixing the fault. EU law is pretty solid on this point; at no point is is described how many attempts they have to fix it, only how long it may take from the first RMA, to a complete fix of the actual problem. If new problems occour, those problems can then be adressed with a new isolated RMA, and a new fair time to fix it. But as both the danish consumerministry and consumerprotection agencies has informed me; if several faults occour, they CAN argument, that fair time has been exceeded.

Thank you for the information. As my claim was with the retailer, not ASUS, I was very clear on the matter of claim, which they agreed with.
Yesterday, I got my laptop back, and as far as I could tell yesterday, everything is working perfectly! Cities Skylines, which was the worst one for my, did not crash once under stress, or normal play.

I will continue to test, but it is looking good :)

set01
11-06-2017, 10:30 AM
I have bought my ASUS G752VS in February and everything seemed fine for several months. In September I started with Virtual Reality games and I noted crashes followed by automatic reboot in several games (Vanishing Realms, Elite Dangerous and a non VR game: Elder scrolls online). Especially Elite Dangerous was not playable as it crashed 2 or more times each hour. After searching the internet I found this very usefull thread (G752VS crashing issues) and implemented the suggested actions:
- reinstalled windows to its factory settings
- upgraded BIOS to version 310
- removed ROG Gaming Center
The results are now much better but I still got infrequent crashes & reboot in Elite Dangerous (about 1 every 5 hours). Is this still a reason to RMA the laptop and if so, how will they (support) detect the problem? I don’t want to start an RMA request, sending in my laptop to get it back with nothing changed because no problems are detected by support.

greenwraith
11-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Today got my VSK back, of course scratched.
Motherboard and RAM were swapped, so far everything works but the days will tell
6 weeks it took the repair.

greenwraith
11-08-2017, 08:22 AM
The vsk runs stable without problems anymore, which I noticed, where I had the freez, had the cpu less heat ca 85celsius, now with the new mainboard 95 celsius at 100% cpu and GPU last, GPU is at 60 celsius max, what I was able to bring in experience that the people who did not have the problm with the vsk usually have similar values,
As long as it is stable I can live with it.

greenwraith
11-20-2017, 09:44 PM
My g752VSK continues to crash. Although rare but still, whether last or little load does not matter.

Zeusk
11-22-2017, 07:17 PM
My laptop (g752vsk 7820hk with the 1070) was having the same issue with constant crashes since I started using it. Decided to send it back to newegg for a repair/replacement. Well turns out it just didn’t arrive back at newegg. Tracking just stopped being sent on the 16th, and it says it was delayed. So yeah, my package is likely lost and now I’m down US$2000. If this issue never popped up in the first place I would *be enjoying my new rog laptop right now, Instead I was robbed. Thanks Asus, newegg, and USPS. And I’ll be leaving the states back to Aus at the end of the month so there’s that too. Happy thanksgiving everyone. It’s been fun.

Falkentyne
11-24-2017, 06:33 AM
Is everyone here having crash problems using GTX 1070 cards?
I'm guessing this is the "1.013v"+ voltage crash, right?

danmaku
12-09-2017, 05:48 AM
Hello. I am having the same problem. Bought a G752VS-XB72K from newegg, quite pleased with it except for it crashing when I play Arkham Knight. Crashes every so often - it will hang for a moment, then reboot the computer. Clean installed Windows 10, updated bios to 310, uninstalled ROG Gaming Center. Latest drivers for relevant hardware. This did not occur on my previous ROG laptop (G751JT) and I had no issues. Both HDDs are functioning without bad sectors and I transferred the files to the SSD. Experienced the error running the game on both hard drives.

So I think I have the same error everyone else in this thread is having.

Since there seems to be more info available about this error. Is this something I can fix by underclocking (and if so, how), or should I go with the RMA process?

Enterfrize
12-09-2017, 11:05 PM
In my case, the computer was stable. However, when I ran the Acer Windows Mixed Reality headset, it would crash and reboot after a few minutes every time. I tried all kinds of burn-in tests without any obvious problems to see. What I noticed is that after the crash and reboot, the faster I re-ran the application, the faster the computer would crash. This hinted that there could be an overheating problem causing the reboots. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I played a VR game with the HTC Vive on the same machine, it didn't crash or reboot - but I started to see blue pixels all over the screen as I got deeper into the game.

The solution? I did a warranty exchange at the store, and all the overheating problems were immediately solved.

I was running on stock speed, so I shouldn't have been having these problems. I would recommend holding off on the fancy overclocks if you are having similar issues. I doubt it's worth it.

Regards,
Enterfrize

WinterElf
12-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Hello,

I have the same issues as people here, some games crashing with either black, white, or multicolor squares screen followed by a reboot.

I read more and instead of saying it's Motherboard, why is it not GPU?

This issue seems very popular on MSI side also :

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=281873.0

The issue would be with Boost2 and voltage of the v1 GTX 1070, that was fixed in 2017 apparently.

Some chinese guy managed to disable the boost 2 state and fixed the crash for quite some people.

Could ASUS release a vBios fix?

Thanks!

danmaku
12-21-2017, 01:06 AM
I guess this is a followup, but after replacement, has anyone had any issues with them? or is it fixed?

greenwraith
12-21-2017, 11:52 AM
I guess this is a followup, but after replacement, has anyone had any issues with them? or is it fixed?

For me, the mainboard was exchanged,
but I still have freezes.

What's new is the CPU gets hot up to 95c and the fans have become extremely loud after the swap,

All in all, I sent the notebook 3x to the repairer, it will not get any better.

Mr.VooDoo
12-29-2017, 08:07 PM
Hello Fellows,

i got my Notebook back at the beginning of december, it was the second RMA to repaire this issue.
Until now i had no time to test the system.

What did they do:

Replace --> G752VL LED FFC 12P,0.5,195MM - Reason: IW (what is IW?)
Replace --> G752VL TP FFC 12P,0.5,167MM -Reason: IW
Whole system was installed like it was at the first day -Reason: OS ERROR

The Problem is that i have still random crashes anyway if i playing games. :mad:
That bothers me really hard, i own this notebook for 6 month and its still dont work flawless.
The notebook was 2 times at RMA for the problem and 2 times they did not fix it.

Maybe someone of you has an idea what could be broken.

I dont know what to do now.

Greetings Mr.VooDoo

WinterElf
12-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Hello Fellows,

i got my Notebook back at the beginning of december, it was the second RMA to repaire this issue.
Until now i had no time to test the system.

What did they do:

Replace --> G752VL LED FFC 12P,0.5,195MM - Reason: IW (what is IW?)
Replace --> G752VL TP FFC 12P,0.5,167MM -Reason: IW
Whole system was installed like it was at the first day -Reason: OS ERROR

The Problem is that i have still random crashes anyway if i playing games. :mad:
That bothers me really hard, i own this notebook for 6 month and its still dont work flawless.
The notebook was 2 times at RMA for the problem and 2 times they did not fix it.

Maybe someone of you has an idea what could be broken.

I dont know what to do now.

Greetings Mr.VooDoo

Which game do you play?

For example following my previous post, I installed Spellforce3, and it was instant crashing EVERYTIME (except when playing in 640*360 full low).

I then read on MSI forum with people with similar issue that it is when GPU get in Boost 2 (high frequency), but the game doesn't tax the GPU enough so there is not enough voltage (something like that) going on.

My solution? Put the game 4k, sure I was 100% 30 FPS, but zero crash were it actually instant crashed before. I then lowered resolution to keep GPU % usage high but not too low (~80%).

If it can help, try higher resolution to use more your GPU.

danmaku
01-01-2018, 11:13 PM
I replaced my laptop. Played Arkham Knight again a bunch and it didn't shut down, or hasn't yet at least.

However, I now have the problem that some other laptops have where the audio port heats up for no reason

Mr.VooDoo
01-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Which game do you play?

For example following my previous post, I installed Spellforce3, and it was instant crashing EVERYTIME (except when playing in 640*360 full low).

I then read on MSI forum with people with similar issue that it is when GPU get in Boost 2 (high frequency), but the game doesn't tax the GPU enough so there is not enough voltage (something like that) going on.

My solution? Put the game 4k, sure I was 100% 30 FPS, but zero crash were it actually instant crashed before. I then lowered resolution to keep GPU % usage high but not too low (~80%).

If it can help, try higher resolution to use more your GPU.

Hello WinterElf:

Which game do you play?

Warhammer End Times - Vermintide
ArmA 3
Dying Light
Space Engineers
GTA V
Hitman Absolution
e.t.c

always crashing with this and other games

Thanks for the advise with the resolution but I want that my notebook work with any settings, i payed 2000 bucks for an gaming notebook and it has to work without trouble.

Captgeech21
01-11-2018, 04:19 AM
Hey all,

I'd like to not only add my 2 cents and attempts/progress/lack there of as well as gain feedback. I have sent a PM to Bahz to ask what to do in my situation, but I would truly like to get input from anyone still on this thread.

I purchased my ROG G752VS-RB71 in February of 2017 from ExbaliburPC.com. They did a "free" ram upgrade to 32gb and I added a SSD on top of the standard HDD.

Everything seemed fine with this laptop for the first few months. After installing Elder Scrolls Online, I started to get the crashes we are all talking about. White screen, some audio, reboot and then a Kernal 41 stating critical power failure. As with many, my temperatures in Gaming Center for video card never went above 60-65 for CPU or GPU. As I have been building computers for quite some time, my immediate thoughts were heat, temps etc. causing restart, but as with many, there isn't much to support this. Also, around the time I started getting the ESO crashes, I had upgraded Nvidia drivers (very very close together).

Since then, it has started to occur at times in other games. The worst games are ESO and Destiny 2. I may play for 6 hours with no problems or get 5 crashes in a half hour. Like I said, there were no crashes the first couple months I had the laptop, and I played Elite Dangerous with no issues. After reading this thread, I tried Elite Dang. again and I crash every single time I enter a training immediately.

What I have tried thus far has been rolled back Nvidia drivers, used DDU in safe mode to remove Nvidia and G-experience and reinstalled Newest drivers.

I have reinstalled Windows, I have changed bios settings, I have updated bios to 310 from 302 (i believe cant remember).

After reading the thread, I just removed ASUS gaming center and used GPU z to monitor voltages/power settings etc and it continues to occur.

Some games seem worse than others, and like I said I can stress this thing out with no issues or even game hard for a while with no issues and then BAM.

I am guessing I have 12 months ASUS manufacture warranty, which would mean i'd need to RMA it soon. I am not sure what their policy is on adding ram, SSD etc and whether it's covered still or if i would need to remove them before sending in.

Something I am very interested in getting feedback on is this:

After trying GPU Z and seeing the stats, I see the ram is GDDR5 (Micron). Now on a MSI thread I found a while back, I found that there was Vbios update for MSI 1070 nvidia cards due to the micron ram having issues versus other cards that have Samsung memory modules. The issue in summation is that the voltage changes due to gaming and such wreck havoc on the Micron ram and cause the crashes. Apparently the vbios update for the MSI cards/laptops worked well to resolve this but i have been unable to find a safe or descript vbios to try.

Any feedback would be appreciated because i've been dealing with these crashes for about 6-7 months now and am running out of patience and time.

Thank you all and good luck!

Captgeech21
01-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Okay,

So I wanted to make an update to my above post and figured a separate post would be easiest to differentiate.

After uninstalling ROG Gaming Center and using GPU-Z to monitor frequencies of the GPU and GPU Memory, Elite Dangerous crashed every time I went into a specific training mission.

It is crazy to see how much the frequency of the memory and even in some cases the GPU spikes in Gaming Center.

Then I re-read the Gaming Center deletion posts and realized someone mentioned adding After burner or even gaming center back in and setting a "standard" preset instead of the extreme or overclocked setting.

With "Standard" on Gaming Center, the crashes for that mission have stopped. Even played ED for a few hours with no issues.

While this is a great step in the right direction, it is frustrating to realize that my GPU can't really be put to it's full potential (not even accounting for overclocking) without a factor of extreme instability.

The more I have explored the frequency side of this equation, the more this is looking to be identical to the MSI GTX 1070 threads I have found discussing faulty Micron memory on the 1070 GTX cards.

I do not believe this is an issue as believed before by others and by ASUS to be a "mainboard" issue. I am guessing that due to the G752 having a dedicated, but soldered on GPU 1070GTX, that replacing the motherboard has also replaced the faulty Micron graphics card memory. And that is why people are seeing results when RMA'ing back to ASUS for a swap. I have also read only a fraction of responses that an RMA did not work, even with a PCB/mobo replacement. Maybe they are replacing with another faulty Micron memory board?

Now if PCB is not the motherboard, and the motherboard does not actually house the GPU (i.e they are able to install a new mainboard OR motherboard and for whatever reason are able to keep the previous 1070GTX module) and the issue is going away for people, there could be an alternative answer or even simultaneous issues that are causing this problem.

Sorry if that doesn't quite make sense. My understanding of dedicated cards on laptops for the 10 series is limited. I know that prior the "Dedicated" cards were still soldered on. However, with the 10 series, I know it's essential a desktop card (power wise) or close to it, so I am not sure if they can remove that card in some way while swapping out boards.

If indeed replacing the PCB is also in turn replacing the GPU, then I think the problem with the Micron memory is exactly what is causing all of these issues.

In the MSI threads, they stated MSI was swapping out the cards with non faulty micron or Samsung memory module cards. Or that you could flash the GPU bios (vbios) with an 8A version that supposedly suppressed the clock frequency spikes past a certain point. The replacement would definitely be the better option, as it is similar to not allowing Gaming Center to upclock the GPU or memory and hence, you will see slightly diminished performance.

Some other info.: To test the performance of my GPU quickly without having to run many a hour of bench marks, I mined some Ethereum =) With Gaming Center on Standard the GPU mines 25-26 Mh/s. With it on extreme, it mines 26-27. So not a huge difference, but definitely kind of a bummer.

If anyone has any thoughts on updating bios for GPU or if they have found a new bios to fix the issue versus just suppress it, please, please let me know!

Thank you all

WinterElf
01-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Okay,

So I wanted to make an update to my above post and figured a separate post would be easiest to differentiate.

After uninstalling ROG Gaming Center and using GPU-Z to monitor frequencies of the GPU and GPU Memory, Elite Dangerous crashed every time I went into a specific training mission.

It is crazy to see how much the frequency of the memory and even in some cases the GPU spikes in Gaming Center.

Then I re-read the Gaming Center deletion posts and realized someone mentioned adding After burner or even gaming center back in and setting a "standard" preset instead of the extreme or overclocked setting.

Yeah I had the exact same thoughts and saw the same things about MSI forum and their custom BIOS (check my previous answer page 18).

Would be nice that Asus do actually something, even if it means a Bios that allow for less overclock, but at least a all the time stable system.

Dreamonic
01-11-2018, 11:49 PM
Regarding recent posts in this thread, especially for the RB71 models that have the 6700HQ CPU specifically, the Extreme profile in the Gaming Center has no importance like it does with the 6820HK models (XB78K, XB72K, RB71K, Q72S). The Gaming Center is cancerous for overclocking, and if you feel the same way about XTU, you can then OC at the BIOS level if you have the 6820HK that supports it. That aside, if new installation of Windows and basic notebook drivers installed followed with latest BIOS is still giving you the same issues with system stability in games, you could also try flashing the GL502VS 1070 VBIOS over the G752VS 1070 VBIOS and test further. Or perhaps use MSI AB with the Curve Editor and find a feasible config. If it's happening while completely under stock/factory conditions still being related to the GPU Micron memory ICs, then a VBIOS update should suffice. Post a screenshot of your VBIOS version to see if there has been any newer ones out since. That or cross flash different vendor ROMs to see if any others yield improved stability over another. More on this later.

Current versions: 86.04.2A.00.0A (G752VS - original), 86.04.2A.00.3F (GL502VS - original), 86.04.42.00.07 (GL502VS - updated)

Now while thermals might be low and have been checked off as not being the problem (perhaps it's not GPU related), have you also checked your microcode version? As Skylake CPUs have had a HT bug that would cause a similar scenario most of you are reporting when specific conditions are met. Perhaps disable HT and repeat your tests again. IIRC, the version you want is BA should you use UBU to do it.

You also want to make sure you don't have SST enabled, which is HWP (Hardware P-States) in the BIOS under Advanced > CPU Configuration (once unlocked). This is a huge contributor to stability problems with the G752VS notebooks, as at the BIOS level it's enabled, meaning frequency/thermal/power package control is done internally. In the older BIOS versions, this was disabled by default. I have had people screenshot their HWiNFO "features" window with SST showing as enabled. Once I told them to disable this option there instability problems disappeared.

On that note, there is also something else most G752VS owners don't know, speaking more toward the 6820HK owners, and that is if you unlock additional BIOS options with AMIBCP v5.0.1, you can disable the ME State Control under the PCH-FW menu. This will allow full CPU VR and Power package control, exceeding 100W TDP @ 4.5-4.7Ghz without being limited so as long as you repaste with LM, as thermals are very hard to control beyond 1.35v if not using LM.

Also worth mentioning, I have tested multiple (10DE:1BE1) 1070 VBIOS ROMs out like the Clevo and MSI (using NVFlash v5.292.0). As mentioned above, also the GL502VS 1070 VBIOS which had no stability problems corrected the pink screen at startup for me a long while back. What's worth mentioning here is that if you decide to do the TDP mod with a HW programmer to the 1070 in your G752VS, expect power delivery problems once you exceed 150W for a short period of time (130% TDP from 115W). As I originally did the shunt mod on my G752VS 1070 VRM a long time ago and while I had impressive performance gains, due to the way the EC manages board/battery power, the system would get massive spikes (GPU usage dropping to 0%) like the AC adapter was being repeatably unplugged; battery in a constant charging state.

So in short, most of the ROG Notebooks I've had in my possession all required full disassembly, intake mods, repasting, adjusting heatsink assemblies, standoff mods, custom heat plates, max fan states, BIOS/VBIOS mods just to get them all at a comfortable performance level where thermals are effectively controlled. Such a shame these notebooks require so much work to make them decent enough for their cost. Tomayto, tomahto.

Oh yeah,

All models after the G750 series are of BGA package for both CPU and GPU. So if you send your notebook in for repair (RMA through ASUS), you will likely get a refurbished one in return. Meaning if you had a good quality CPU or GPU previously (could OC well with lower voltage), it is likely going to be a silicon lottery again when you get your new MB, as everything is replaced with the MB short of the NVMe SSDs. They do it like this for a quicker turn around time to you (the customer) while they send their serviceable parts to another department for repair. Likely the actual issue is not found or not escalated to a higher rep who then sends it to another facility. So faulty components are likely to keep circulating as "passed" refurbished notebooks through RMA since as I've seen in the past, their QC for stability tests is literally as simple as booting up and shutting down to be stamped as a "pass" of approval. No synthetic testing or specific load tests are done to determine if related to CPU or GPU components. That is another department (usually outsourced) if the refurbished board comes back again.

v1p0FF
01-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Greetings.
Finally completed my laptop repair (it was from 09-01-17 to 10-09-17). Unfortunately I could not take it and test it myself and my friend took it for me.
In the act of work performed indicated that the replacement of the motherboard and the LVDS loop (cable).

Even without paying attention to non-accidents with the devices in the service center (in the bottom there were scratches,

it is very strange that after replacing the motherboard, its serial number remains the same. (my friend looked at the serial number in BIOS)

Meeliskt in his post told about lost license of Windows (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93688-G752VS-Crashing-Issues-(shuts-off-and-restarts-automatically)&p=671923&viewfull=1#post671923).
I guess it normally after change motherboard to new. How can I replace the motherboard and save its serial number? Very strange for me.

I will update results of testing as soon as i back home.

Update: After some tests in games i can say that "CRASHING ISSUES" has gone after repairing (replaced MB). At least in the place of the game where it was crashed stably.
But now I began to worry about the CPU temperature. In Witcher3 it rises to 95-97C. AIDA64 test also shows overheating to 97C and throttling.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/de4f7e715744333

Is it worth worrying about this?
Maybe this is the reason to contact the service center again?

ForgeOfGods-G752VS
01-12-2018, 11:15 AM
6 month after rma (replaced mb) confirm that crashing still persist, not so often now but still pc isnt stable sofar. Crash changed, now ita not crash but freeze, 2-3 times a week maybe, doesnt matter what i do, playing, wathing movie or sleeping, its randomely freeze up, none errors just a kernel power error after i reset it, thats annoying af , only one good part that its rare freeze.

Captgeech21
01-12-2018, 06:50 PM
@Dreamonic,

These are some valid points and good tips/info.

The extent to which you explained your efforts on multiple models is exactly why I inquired to Bahz whether i'd get my SSD and ram upgrades transfered, back, or need to take them out. If it's going to continue as an issue for me, and require substantial tweaking of VBIOS, BIOS unlocking etc, i'd rather know I can send it in and get a fixed or new unit. It's sad that you are stating ASUS has such poor technical RMA procedures (At least on a general scale). After working on Geeksquad for years, we had quite expensive and exhaustive programs that any computer displaying any instability symptoms would undergo at a minimum. It doesn't take too long (a couple days with very minimal human interaction) and it's great to pinpoint down problems.

I would definitely have to get a confirmation from a higher tier rep on the phone that i'd either get back my laptop repaired or a new laptop, not a refurbished unit. Never liked that idea with my phones either. Can't tell you how many Palm PRE's or HTCs ive gotten refurbs back on with much lower quality specs or performance.

As another update. With standard on Gaming Center, I have not been able to cause a crash yet. I think I will go heavy on some ESO and Destiny for a while and see if I get anything. Im not willing to accept a limit through VBIOS on my very expensive graphics card as a solution, unless it's literally my only option for stability.

We shall see.

Captgeech21
01-12-2018, 10:13 PM
Guess it's time to start looking at vbios flashing. Just had a crash while playing ED even with "standard" ROG. =(

Captgeech21
01-13-2018, 12:33 AM
Btw, my Nvidia bios version is 86.4.2a.0.a
Going to see if i can find any gtx 1070 for the g752 series bios updates out there.

@Dreamonic

I hope my earlier responses don't come across as ignoring some of the other feedback and info you gave above. I am indeed trying to look into all avenues you explained to look into before I do an RMA. This whole situation is just very frustrating, and i've been dealing with it for around 6 months now.

Anyhow, I am looking into vbios swaps. As I said before, I have flashed mobo bios many a time, but never done vbios (never had to). Does swapping to another model laptop with a 1070 pose any risk? Mainly, can I pick a wrong model with a 1070? Or are all of the 1070 GPU going to be about the same? My understanding is that even the 1080 (at least desktop versions) are the same GPU with different firmware/bios to allow for more shader use or what not. So I am under the impression as long as its a 1070 mobile bios, it should be ok to use. I just don't want to hinder my card, or heaven forbid screw up the GPU.

Also, you mentioned unlocking advanced bios to look at some CPU config. Is this possible on the RB71 with the 6700HQ? I have found the G752VY but not the VS nor the RB71 specifically yet.

Any tips would be appreciated.

As per the issue with Gaming Center. The reason I was hopeful for standard settings over extreme is that even in a software suite as pitiful as Gaming Center, Extreme mode does show an increase in clock speed, memory speed and boost speed. It's not those set speed increases that are causing the crashes. But per the logs, every crash shows the GPU at 1847 for the 4-8 seconds before the lockup and restart. This was not happening when I set the Standard option, but for some reason, standard in Gaming Center isn't keeping the clock quite low enough and I have had a few crashes.

I am going to grab MSI afterburner and play with it to see if I can at least get a stable solution for now.

nulmas
01-15-2018, 02:10 AM
@Captgeech21

I've been having the same problem, and I already RMA'd my laptop twice. I'm currently trying to get a replacement or my money back.

The laptop crashed with most games, but it was quite random. WWE2k18, though, turned out to be great to test if the issue had been resolved.

I did find something, though: if you use MSI Afterburner to underclock the GPU by quite a bit, the crashes stop. Of course, by doing that I wouldn't be getting what I payed for.

I also think the issue is with the Micron memory in the cards. It seems consistent with the issues I've seen mentioned.

Dreamonic
01-15-2018, 07:53 AM
Btw, my Nvidia bios version is 86.4.2a.0.a
Going to see if i can find any gtx 1070 for the g752 series bios updates out there.

@Dreamonic

I hope my earlier responses don't come across as ignoring some of the other feedback and info you gave above. I am indeed trying to look into all avenues you explained to look into before I do an RMA. This whole situation is just very frustrating, and i've been dealing with it for around 6 months now.

Anyhow, I am looking into vbios swaps. As I said before, I have flashed mobo bios many a time, but never done vbios (never had to). Does swapping to another model laptop with a 1070 pose any risk? Mainly, can I pick a wrong model with a 1070? Or are all of the 1070 GPU going to be about the same? My understanding is that even the 1080 (at least desktop versions) are the same GPU with different firmware/bios to allow for more shader use or what not. So I am under the impression as long as its a 1070 mobile bios, it should be ok to use. I just don't want to hinder my card, or heaven forbid screw up the GPU.

Also, you mentioned unlocking advanced bios to look at some CPU config. Is this possible on the RB71 with the 6700HQ? I have found the G752VY but not the VS nor the RB71 specifically yet.

Any tips would be appreciated.

As per the issue with Gaming Center. The reason I was hopeful for standard settings over extreme is that even in a software suite as pitiful as Gaming Center, Extreme mode does show an increase in clock speed, memory speed and boost speed. It's not those set speed increases that are causing the crashes. But per the logs, every crash shows the GPU at 1847 for the 4-8 seconds before the lockup and restart. This was not happening when I set the Standard option, but for some reason, standard in Gaming Center isn't keeping the clock quite low enough and I have had a few crashes.

I am going to grab MSI afterburner and play with it to see if I can at least get a stable solution for now.

Not at all. I understand the situation.

This is a frustrating problem to troubleshoot given how long you've been going at it. So I understand your time spent in the matter, attempting fixes that could potentially lead down the very same path in the end toward an RMA.

Any risks cross-flashing VBIOS ROMs? Yes and no. Here's how you tell them apart AFAIK.

10DE:1BE1 :::::: 1070 BGA/MXM variants - VBIOS (TDP) - 115W/115W
10DE 1BA1 :::::: 1070 MXM variants - VBIOS (TDP) - 115W ~ 120W/150W
10DE:1B81 :::::: Desktop 1070 variants - VBIOS (TDP) - 151W ~ 300W

The Device ID you want to match when flashing 1070 VBIOS ROMs with our G752VS is: 10DE:1BE1
Here's an NVIDIA SMI query on the G752VS with the GL502VS 1070 VBIOS; NVIDIA SMI commands here (http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3751/~/useful-nvidia-smi-queries).

When cross-flashing VBIOS ROMs you can most certainly flash one that affects stability more than anything else, because some are too vendor specific, pertaining to their own supported HW. To make it not as risky for you though, is that I've already flashed the following (a couple did not work well):

(works) Clevo P775DM2 (MXM 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/187333/187333
(currently flashed) GL502VS (BGA 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/186340/asus-gtx1070mobile-8192-160713
(works) GL502VS (BGA 1070 - updated VBIOS version) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/187888/187888
(unstable) Gigabyte X7 V6 (BGA 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/194794/194794
(semi-stable) MSI GT72VR 7RE (MXM 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/190135/190135
(unstable) HP Omen (BGA 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/187030/187030
(official) G752VS (BGA 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/186329/asus-gtx1070mobile-8192-160701

You can always flash back to your stock VBIOS as long as you created a backup of it. Not that you really need to worry about making one with the links available above, but definitely cover your bases should you lose internet.

Yes, you can unlock the hidden BIOS menus. I would still say it's more beneficial for the G752VS models with the 6820HK as the OC can be done right in the BIOS instead of using XTU and its services or TS in general. Basically just the ability do it without SW. You can definitely adjust power settings, core ratios and EIST, SST, etc with the 6700HQ, albeit not increasing frequencies beyond factory spec, but at least you have the ability to play around with some settings nonetheless.

Have you tried swapping the SO-DIMMs around? Maybe there is a bad slot instead of being a bad stick. Try setting the ME State Control to disabled and see if that helps. Disable SST (HWP) in the BIOS once you unlock those menus if it isn't already.

Grab Revo Uninstaller and remove the ROG Gaming Center and left overs completely. Use XTU or TS instead or none at all and see if anything changes.
According to a friend online who has a GX800VH, he said he contacted ASUS engineers about the ROG Gaming Center problem with clocks not adjusting properly with the CPU for that model. Lots of issues revolve around the ROG Gaming Center, but more specifically the ICCS (Integrated Clock Controller Service) that installs with XTU, which the ROG Gaming Center is using too. Make absolutely sure there is no chance for any 3rd party software (including ASUS) causing your crashing. Fresh install and all required drivers that don't get detected properly in Device Manager. Test stability again under a completely clean slate.

We know latest SBIOS didn't help. So perhaps it is indeed HW, but you won't know specifically if you don't test the aforementioned above out, right down to flashing a different VBIOS version; try the GL502VS ones out and go from there.

NOW, that all sounds good and all but it's not what I think is the problem...

I'm going to mention something I believe hasn't been mentioned yet, and that is... have you tried increasing the voltage offset for your 6700HQ? What am I getting at? I believe it's crashing due to the VCore being too low. Because scenarios where the CPU is undervolted too much, will do the exact same thing. The system crashes, does a power cycle and boots back up again. I suggest changing even the core ratios by lowering them and remain testing again by making one change and rinse and repeat. I'll also add that because XTU is changing settings you cannot see in the BIOS menus because they are hidden, you won't know if settings from the ROG Gaming Center is actually defaulting them back afterwards. Because remember, this is what the ROG Gaming Center is using. So many variables but it gives you something to work with at least.

Also try out what @nulmas suggested too. It could very well just be a GPU related issue all along!

Hopefully you find something here that helps your crashing problem before you try to RMA.

Good luck!

Captgeech21
01-16-2018, 09:31 PM
@Dreamonic,

Thank you for going above and beyond and clarifying all of that for us.

I am going to try another fresh install. Something ExcaliburPC whom I purchased the unit from mentioned was to use the ASUS Recovery option. I know in the past with things like Optimus, not using the brand's windows installation or drivers for that specific machine can really mess up graphics and even CPU performance. I am just not sure if last time i installed I used a fresh install of Microsoft's website and wiped the ASUS recovery portion out, or if I still even have that option. I'm banking on I erased the recovery partition but it's worth a shot if I can get it installed the way ASUS meant it to be. When this problem originally started for me, it did not flash the screen white as it does every time. For all I know (especially with as little testing as I initially did) it was a driver issue or something and my install of a clean OS caused some problems.

I am going to try all of the steps you suggested, with a VBIOS switch as my last resort, as my understanding is that Version 86.04.2A.00.0A limits the boost clock to fix the issue. I could be mistaken. But your tests and information make me feel a WHOLE lot more comfortable =) So thank you

As for the SO DIMM. the first 2 sticks are readily available, however I believe the other 2 (it's got 32 gb upgrade fom ExPC) are a little more frustrating to get to. I can definitely try it, but it will likely take me more time than doing the flashing etc, etc.

So I think I will start off with trying Revo and making sure Gaming Center is completely removed. Then if that doesn't work, a fresh install with all necessary drivers only. Then I can work on unlocking bios and flashing vbios if needed.

Update: Used Revo to fully uninstall Game Center. Tested on ESO, had a crash. So my next step will be seeing if I can reinstall with ASUS's recommended installation (if even possible) from recovery. I am pretty sure I formatted the original HDD to be blank (for storage). Should of just left Windows on it and booted from the SSD. I plan to contact ASUS and see if they can get me a Asus recovery disk (quickly). Likely not, so I will reinstall windows again, never even installing ROG game center and what not and see if that helps at all. Then I will move on to trying to unlock the mobo bios, and then tweak settings, then vbios if necessary.

eriphyle
02-09-2018, 05:14 PM
I am having this issue aswell with my G752VS. I kept sending this thread to my local Asus customer service (Denmark) and they kept ignoring it, telling me to do a recovery. When my laptop finally got shipped off for the issue (after I did a factory reset just to cut it short...), they did nothing to it in the repair center as it "passed all functional tests". Within 10 minutes after getting it back, it crashed again with the same issue.

I am LIVID. I contacted customer support again (got the same guy I had before...) and his response to my laptop coming back broken from the service station? Maybe I should try recovery. Because apparently it's normal and it'll solve what they didn't bother in the repair center, right?

I am furious I wasted almost 3000 euros on this supposed gaming laptop which cannot run games without crashing, and Asus doesn't care to fix it.

danmaku
02-24-2018, 05:42 AM
Update for me. I got mine replaced in late december. Worked perfectly until I experienced another in-game crash today. 2 months it lasted before this happened again.

I don't think I'll get another Asus laptop after this. Had no idea they sold total lemons after my otherwise good experiences with my G751j and G75VX

nulmas
02-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Update for me. I got mine replaced in late december. Worked perfectly until I experienced another in-game crash today. 2 months it lasted before this happened again.

I don't think I'll get another Asus laptop after this. Had no idea they sold total lemons after my otherwise good experiences with my G751j and G75VX

Download an application called GPU-Z and check if the memory used in your GPU is from Micron.

From what I've been able to gather, the issue should only happen on GeForce 1070s built with memory from that brand. The original Nvidia specs use Samsung memory, and the one made by Micron has some sort pf issue with the voltage that causes the crashes.

Try and call Asus again to replace the board. I've had no luck yet, but I'm hoping they finally listen to me and solve the problem this time.

danmaku
02-24-2018, 08:12 PM
Download an application called GPU-Z and check if the memory used in your GPU is from Micron.

It's from Samsung. I wish there was some diagnostic software that could run in the background that could help isolate the specific crash cause. When playing Arkham Knight, my GPU core clock and load gets pretty high but the temps stay in the 70s

nulmas
02-24-2018, 09:30 PM
It's from Samsung. I wish there was some diagnostic software that could run in the background that could help isolate the specific crash cause. When playing Arkham Knight, my GPU core clock and load gets pretty high but the temps stay in the 70s

Maybe the crash is software related, then, though it may be due to another hardware issue.

Can you check if the crash caused any dump files? One thing I noticed is that the gpu related crashes in this model don't create regular dump files, only Live Kernel dumps.

nulmas
03-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Well, almost 4 months and 4 RMAs later, my issue seems to be solved.

They finally did what I've been telling them to do since the beginning and switched out the 1070 with the Micron VRAM for one with Samsung VRAM.

Captgeech21
03-14-2018, 11:13 PM
@Nulmas

WOW that is amazing. I am envious. I am not outside of my 1 year warranty and opted NOT to send in my laptop for the reasons of not wanting to be without my gaming laptop for weeks and also not wanting to deal with all that crap (the not fixing, but thinking it is fixed, getting a refurbished unit back instead possibly, etc.)

I have been extremely busy lately with the company I am working for so have not been able to spend much time troubleshooting the options I have discussed.

One thing I found helpful was to use MSI afterburner and reduce the memory and GPU clock speeds which gave me reduced crashes. I just recently have disabled my Samsung Magician (for my SSD) and have not had a crash in days. I am very surprised by this and would be shocked if this was the cause, but as others have stated these kinds of issues can be hardware or software related and often not even pertain to the GPU. I find it odd that all my GPU Z or Afterburner logs notate the crash only occurs above a certain memory clock frequency. I am pretty sure after writing this im going to have a crash when I go to play Diablo 3 lol. At least i'll know if it does =P

HEADS UP, if anyone is running a later installed SSD (As I am) and has added the aftermarket softwares such as Samsung or Kingston's suites (such as my Magician), you may want to disable or uninstall it and see if it helps (worth a shot).

Best of luck to all. I will update again in a while either way.

Spankmaster
03-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Hey everybody, just wanted to give my few cents to this topic as I was also affected by the ominous crashes with my G752VS.
First of all THX to everybody to have given me several ways of approache trying to solve this issue.
Personally I could not believe that it is a damaged or not proper working hardware or better to say a classical defect.
Sure some people whose board was changed by RMA could solve this problem but honestly that would have been my really last possibility
or even send it back within my 14 days return back period (here in GER just send it back and cancel the deal).

I tried fresh windows installation, deleting ROG center, undervolting GPU voltage, trying another VBios etc... nothing worked.
Then after some days of analyzing while using tools like GPU-Z to monitor voltage, core clock etc. I could realize that the problem should be the GPU clock speed.
In stock settings my GTX1070 reaches a max clock speed of up to 1860 MHz which is not a problem at all since the GPU temperature is at max. 70°.
BUT: The problem is that this max clock speed only appears with almost no GPU load. So we are not talking about a 100% load and high clock speed (how it should be with the new Pascal boost technology) but high clock speed without load.
As the voltage of the new Pascal boost technology changes permanently according to the clock speed and GPU load the failure is there!
The GPU boosts to 1860 MHz with a valid voltage of 1,062V (seems to be ok) but it boosts up to that clock speed in probably a very short millisecond.
The voltage needed (1,062V) increases to that value little later than the clock speed, means that the internal automatic OC (Pascal boost) is faster than the voltage increase to keep that clock speed alive.
This causes the crashes. Since I set a custom speed and voltage curve in MSI afterbruner, limiting the max boost to 1700 MHz (you have to set it little below that value) no crashes anymore. I played hours of the former crushed game like Heroes of the Storm -> no crashes anymore.

What you can do afterwards is to check and identify the max speed without getting the voltage being increased to 1,062V.
Believe me it should not cost you any significant fps compared to the stock setting.

To summarize: Do not allow your GPU to reach 1,062V in any scenario to be safe. Find a manual set curve with MSI afterurner to identify your max possible clock speed without reaching 1,062V at all. Your performance will be most probably equal to stock setting, you will not loose any significant performance.
Enjoy your laptop! :)

WinterElf
03-19-2018, 08:41 PM
Hey everybody, just wanted to give my few cents to this topic as I was also affected by the ominous crashes with my G752VS.
First of all THX to everybody to have given me several ways of approache trying to solve this issue.
Personally I could not believe that it is a damaged or not proper working hardware or better to say a classical defect.
Sure some people whose board was changed by RMA could solve this problem but honestly that would have been my really last possibility
or even send it back within my 14 days return back period (here in GER just send it back and cancel the deal).

I tried fresh windows installation, deleting ROG center, undervolting GPU voltage, trying another VBios etc... nothing worked.
Then after some days of analyzing while using tools like GPU-Z to monitor voltage, core clock etc. I could realize that the problem should be the GPU clock speed.
In stock settings my GTX1070 reaches a max clock speed of up to 1860 MHz which is not a problem at all since the GPU temperature is at max. 70°.
BUT: The problem is that this max clock speed only appears with almost no GPU load. So we are not talking about a 100% load and high clock speed (how it should be with the new Pascal boost technology) but high clock speed without load.
As the voltage of the new Pascal boost technology changes permanently according to the clock speed and GPU load the failure is there!
The GPU boosts to 1860 MHz with a valid voltage of 1,062V (seems to be ok) but it boosts up to that clock speed in probably a very short millisecond.
The voltage needed (1,062V) increases to that value little later than the clock speed, means that the internal automatic OC (Pascal boost) is faster than the voltage increase to keep that clock speed alive.
This causes the crashes. Since I set a custom speed and voltage curve in MSI afterbruner, limiting the max boost to 1700 MHz (you have to set it little below that value) no crashes anymore. I played hours of the former crushed game like Heroes of the Storm -> no crashes anymore.

What you can do afterwards is to check and identify the max speed without getting the voltage being increased to 1,062V.
Believe me it should not cost you any significant fps compared to the stock setting.

To summarize: Do not allow your GPU to reach 1,062V in any scenario to be safe. Find a manual set curve with MSI afterurner to identify your max possible clock speed without reaching 1,062V at all. Your performance will be most probably equal to stock setting, you will not loose any significant performance.
Enjoy your laptop! :)

Hey,

How do you achieve this curve?

I personally downclocked the Core by -320, so it basically never go up 1500 (no boost stock speeds). It certainly stopped any crash, but maybe I would get a small boost if I can get 1700 Mhz.

Thanks

Spankmaster
03-20-2018, 08:24 AM
Hi, you did exactly the same to stop the crashes but only limited to lower clock speed than it is most probably possible also for your GPU Chip even if every Chip has a different behaviour.
Did you downclock with MSI Afterburner?
To track your voltage and clock speed you can use GPU-Z and activate the monitoring button at the sensor tab.
To set the manual curve I used MSI Afterburner by pressing Ctrl-F at it's home screen.
I flattened out the curve starting at the point of 169x MHz to the last value on the right side.
The voltage was something below 1,0V at the point of 169x MHz.
After you set the manual curve track via GPU-Z and run your games.
The GPU should always boost to a max voltage of 1,0V, mostly 0,9xV.

A strange behaviour I could realize anyway. At a certain point of clock speed and voltage combination it "forces" the GPU to boost up to 1,062V again even if you set the curve manually below the stock settings.
This is why you have to identify the highest possible clock speed and voltage combination.
I did not finish my selection already but so far 1700MHz works perfect and has no more that 5% performance loss.
However you benefit at least with better temperature and a proper working system :D

Agent_Smith
03-31-2018, 09:44 PM
Hi all. I try'ed spankmasters method and it stopped my crashing. But i consider this temp fix. After Easter i am sending it to the Nederland rma. I hope that this claims are not true that asus sends someone else"s laptop as mine. I will take pics of machine and serial numbers. Mine laptop is like brand new, not a scratch. I cant believe that asus is treating their customers like this. Touchpad is broken when you put laptop to sleep for a year now and they don't care to fix it. I will recomend not to buy asus products to anyone who ask from now on even i had all asus products by now. Unless they start taking care for their customers... They simply need to admit they have a problem and deal with it. They should sue micron for faulty memory not screw their customers for it.

hadarych
04-21-2018, 06:59 AM
Not at all. I understand the situation.

This is a frustrating problem to troubleshoot given how long you've been going at it. So I understand your time spent in the matter, attempting fixes that could potentially lead down the very same path in the end toward an RMA.

Any risks cross-flashing VBIOS ROMs? Yes and no. Here's how you tell them apart AFAIK.

10DE:1BE1 :::::: 1070 BGA/MXM variants - VBIOS (TDP) - 115W/115W
10DE 1BA1 :::::: 1070 MXM variants - VBIOS (TDP) - 115W ~ 120W/150W
10DE:1B81 :::::: Desktop 1070 variants - VBIOS (TDP) - 151W ~ 300W

The Device ID you want to match when flashing 1070 VBIOS ROMs with our G752VS is: 10DE:1BE1
Here's an NVIDIA SMI query on the G752VS with the GL502VS 1070 VBIOS; NVIDIA SMI commands here (http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3751/~/useful-nvidia-smi-queries).

When cross-flashing VBIOS ROMs you can most certainly flash one that affects stability more than anything else, because some are too vendor specific, pertaining to their own supported HW. To make it not as risky for you though, is that I've already flashed the following (a couple did not work well):

(works) Clevo P775DM2 (MXM 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/187333/187333
(currently flashed) GL502VS (BGA 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/186340/asus-gtx1070mobile-8192-160713
(works) GL502VS (BGA 1070 - updated VBIOS version) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/187888/187888
(unstable) Gigabyte X7 V6 (BGA 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/194794/194794
(semi-stable) MSI GT72VR 7RE (MXM 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/190135/190135
(unstable) HP Omen (BGA 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/187030/187030
(official) G752VS (BGA 1070) - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/186329/asus-gtx1070mobile-8192-160701

You can always flash back to your stock VBIOS as long as you created a backup of it. Not that you really need to worry about making one with the links available above, but definitely cover your bases should you lose internet.

Yes, you can unlock the hidden BIOS menus. I would still say it's more beneficial for the G752VS models with the 6820HK as the OC can be done right in the BIOS instead of using XTU and its services or TS in general. Basically just the ability do it without SW. You can definitely adjust power settings, core ratios and EIST, SST, etc with the 6700HQ, albeit not increasing frequencies beyond factory spec, but at least you have the ability to play around with some settings nonetheless.

Have you tried swapping the SO-DIMMs around? Maybe there is a bad slot instead of being a bad stick. Try setting the ME State Control to disabled and see if that helps. Disable SST (HWP) in the BIOS once you unlock those menus if it isn't already.

Grab Revo Uninstaller and remove the ROG Gaming Center and left overs completely. Use XTU or TS instead or none at all and see if anything changes.
According to a friend online who has a GX800VH, he said he contacted ASUS engineers about the ROG Gaming Center problem with clocks not adjusting properly with the CPU for that model. Lots of issues revolve around the ROG Gaming Center, but more specifically the ICCS (Integrated Clock Controller Service) that installs with XTU, which the ROG Gaming Center is using too. Make absolutely sure there is no chance for any 3rd party software (including ASUS) causing your crashing. Fresh install and all required drivers that don't get detected properly in Device Manager. Test stability again under a completely clean slate.

We know latest SBIOS didn't help. So perhaps it is indeed HW, but you won't know specifically if you don't test the aforementioned above out, right down to flashing a different VBIOS version; try the GL502VS ones out and go from there.

NOW, that all sounds good and all but it's not what I think is the problem...

I'm going to mention something I believe hasn't been mentioned yet, and that is... have you tried increasing the voltage offset for your 6700HQ? What am I getting at? I believe it's crashing due to the VCore being too low. Because scenarios where the CPU is undervolted too much, will do the exact same thing. The system crashes, does a power cycle and boots back up again. I suggest changing even the core ratios by lowering them and remain testing again by making one change and rinse and repeat. I'll also add that because XTU is changing settings you cannot see in the BIOS menus because they are hidden, you won't know if settings from the ROG Gaming Center is actually defaulting them back afterwards. Because remember, this is what the ROG Gaming Center is using. So many variables but it gives you something to work with at least.

Also try out what @nulmas suggested too. It could very well just be a GPU related issue all along!

Hopefully you find something here that helps your crashing problem before you try to RMA.

Good luck!

Hello!
Can you help, please?
I have G752VSK (i7-7820HK, CM238 Chipset)
Wanted to unlock bios settings following your instruction on forum, but didn't succeed. Afuwinx64 (and afudos) showed mistake 18 (failed to flash secured rom or smth). Intel flash programming tool showed mistake 368 (and quite the same description of mistake - security is not broken). Is there any way to flash unlocked bios on asus laptop with 7th generation of Core i7 and CM238? As I can see in your profile you now have GX800VH with the same CPU - maybe you have tried some experiments with your bios?
Really tired of asus overvolting and ROG gaming center.

Thank you!

workshop777
07-07-2018, 12:51 AM
I have my core clock set to -400 and I still get regular crashes, but it seems they are only in Bethesda games. Quake Champions, Fallout 4, Wolfenstein etc. This is beyond frustrating and only confirming that my next laptop will not be from Asus.

Alexzstrasa
07-13-2018, 10:06 AM
VERY IMPORTANT !!!

I HAVE THE FINAL ANSWER TO THE ISSUE :

YOU HAVE TO GO ON THE ROG GAMING CENTER AND EACH TIME YOU WANNA PLAY (it's not checked by default and seems we can't change that) YOU HAVE TO CHECK THE "NORMAL MODE" on Turbo Gear. Extreme mode is checked by default and this IS the problem.

I hope I can help a maximum of you.

Darnassus
07-17-2018, 06:49 AM
VERY IMPORTANT !!!

YOU HAVE TO GO ON THE ROG GAMING CENTER AND EACH TIME YOU WANNA PLAY (it's not checked by default and seems we can't change that) YOU HAVE TO CHECK THE "NORMAL MODE" on Turbo Gear. Extreme mode is checked by default and this IS the problem.

Life Binder, preserve me!

Perhaps the OC profile is going a liiiiittle too far, thus triggering an emergency shutdown. ;x

workshop777
07-28-2018, 03:08 AM
VERY IMPORTANT !!!

ROG Gaming Center is completely uninstalled. Crashes still occur but most frequently in Bethesda games. Fallout 4, Quake Champs, etc.

undersky1
08-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Same issues, think i will reinstall windows to pro and just the basic drivers

Alexzstrasa
08-28-2018, 09:20 PM
ROG Gaming Center is completely uninstalled. Crashes still occur but most frequently in Bethesda games. Fallout 4, Quake Champs, etc.

Yes but you have to keep ROG gaming center if you uninstall it then crashes will be still here. Extreme mode is the default mode for the computer: try to install ROG GC back and when you wanna play use Normal mode it will be fine.

09noel09
08-29-2018, 02:48 PM
before i have this problem too randomly freezing then restarting while playing games then i remove the sonic suite and rog gaming center that fix my problem.

Spankmaster
09-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Did you guys try to lock the GPU at some below 1700MHz with Afterbruner? Since I posted my solution never had any kind of crashes.
Quite sure that it is the voltage - frequency change of the NVidia Boost Pascal like explained above.

Space Voyager
02-11-2019, 11:22 AM
I'm having this same issue, even recorded the crash twice. Right now the computer is in service, I hope they'll know what to do... I also linked this thread to them.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?ar=2&o=U&video_id=c_Rqs36GK18

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&ar=2&video_id=VX0RAF3gigo

I tried several approaches listed here to no avail. Uninstalled gaming centre, checked that clocks are all fine, still crashing.