PDA

View Full Version : Is my g751jy battery knackered?

Dvirlu
06-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Hello, woke up and tried to turn on my laptop this morning and it wouldnt turn on. I plugged in the DC jack and it turns on but as soon as i unplug it, it shuts down.
I tried changing my power options but to no avail. I do have another year of warranty with my laptop but is the battery replacement included in it? Any help would be great since exams are coming up and i wouldnt like my laptop to turn off every min when im in the middle of studying.

edit: thought id add that i noticed recently that instead of the usual 93~ charge i get 84 max charge and for some reason my battery wear is at 49% and a few days ago it was at 40%.

Korth
06-10-2017, 10:30 AM
How old is the laptop?

You can try these tricks to get a little more life out of a dying battery:
http://www.gizbot.com/how-to/tips-tricks/5-ways-fix-your-dead-laptop-battery-unbelievable-hacks/articlecontent-pf63071-034964.html

Dvirlu
06-10-2017, 10:43 AM
A little older than 2 years old. Warranty is for 3. Its the g751jy model so battery isnt replaceable without ripping the whole machine apart. Is there a way to drain the battery when i cant even keep the laptop on for 1 second after i unplug the dc jack?

Korth
06-11-2017, 07:45 AM
If the laptop won't POST but battery is good then it's probably some other problem.

Can you determine the battery charge status at all? Confirm it's charged or it's not charged?

Warranty isn't meaningful, most laptop batteries only last across 18-36 months of "typical" use, lol, same as any other Li-ion or Li-poly batteries. But ASUS might honour an RMA request.

You may in fact need to disassemble the machine. Replace the ("non-removable") G751 battery. Perhaps also replace the motherboard battery, if the unit has one.

Dvirlu
06-11-2017, 11:30 AM
No idea if the battery is good or not, sometimes the laptop shows its plugged in and charging, other times it shows that its plugged in and not charging. I also noticed that it sometimes shows the blinking orange led for critical battery (i think). I can only tell that it has 84% charge from the taskbar and hwmonitor, no idea how to check if the readings are wrong of the actual status of the battery in question. Thanks for the reply and looks like if i have to change the battery myself itll be a pain in the ass huh.

Korth
06-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Can you try a different charger? Or measure voltage output on yours with a DMM?

Dvirlu
06-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Friend had a charger, didnt change a thing. no idea how to use a dmm on the laptop dc jack to see if its not working properly or if its the battery itself.
computer says 0% charge, and hw monitor now shows 88% wear. Anyway guess theres no way around it. The battery is dead, thanks for trying to help anyway.