PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G73SW bad FPS drops playing League of Legends.

erikhell
01-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Hi,

I have spent allot of time these last weeks trying to sort my problem out. I get bad FPS drops playing league of legends. I installed throttlestopper tried diffrent graphics settings, I have done a complete reinstall on Windows and the game.

My FPS goes like 65 -> 125 -> 152 -> 9 -> 65

I have also noticed that my sounds is strange it works everywhere just fine but when playing LoL it sometimes echoes it can sound like this:

"Welcome to summoners-summoners-summoners-summoners-rift-rift-rift."

Anyone else who suffered from this issue and managed to get it working? I have uninstalled P4G or whatever that app was called.

This is so frustrating, hope someone out there can help me.. Spent so much time trying to fix it myself :(

Best regards
/Erik

fuzon1337
01-14-2012, 05:06 PM
You could try to install CCleaner and check your register and see if it finds some junk that you don't need.

Btw, which version of the nVidia driver do you have?

erikhell
01-14-2012, 05:21 PM
I have tried diffrent drivers but now I use the latest beta driver 290.53.

I know many others have this issue with G73SW and LoL anyone of you have same computer and play it without problems?

I have also just reinstalled windows and hardly have any programs installed so cant be that much junk in register..

fuzon1337
01-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Ok, hmm... Has it always been like that or is this a new issue you have experienced?

Perhaps you could use a older graphic driver to see if that fixes it :)

erikhell
01-14-2012, 06:27 PM
I want to start with saying im so glad you are taking youre time to help me with this issue.

No this started around christmas after a patch update in the game. Since then its been more or less unplayable. FPS drops range often starts when graphics get a little bit more heavy around 2-4 mins into the game. I know many other SW users have this issue since I have read it on other forums. Thats why im curious if anyone have a ASUS G73SW and can run the game fine now, without and fps drops at all? If so I know its not my computer that is faulty but the game update.

Anyways since im not the best with computers im very glad for any ideas on how this can be fixed..

/Erik

fuzon1337
01-14-2012, 06:44 PM
No problem, I'm trying to learn a lot self when I help others either I'm wrong with something or right hehe :P

Ok, so you're saying that you have done a complete installation of, your notebook, how is it with the latest drivers for your WiFi card, processor (and I don't need to ask about the graphics since you already have told that ;) )

How about get rid of all the bloatware ( http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html) that you don't need?

erikhell
01-14-2012, 07:00 PM
This could be intresting, so glad to get some new input.

How do I update drivers for my processor and Wifi and how do I know if I have the latest or not?

Can really Wifi drivers slow down FPS?

/Erik

fuzon1337
01-14-2012, 07:11 PM
If you got the Atheros card in you're notebook, there is a chance that can cause problems.

Take a look at JRd1st thread Drivers, Apps and How to's ( http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s) and install the Atheros driver from there ;)

You could check which version you got by right click on computer -> manage -> device manager -> then hit network and then you should be able to see which version of WiFi card you got and dubble clicking it you will find out which driver version you got (hit drivers)

For your processor the same progress, you could download HWinfo64 from the same thread as above, and read which processor version you got there and you can read fan speed, heat sensors and so on in it ;)

Downloading the drivers for your processor, go to www.intel.com hit the support, and you can use the driver utility check (that they have made) to check for new drivers that are compability with their site (if you know what I'm saying here :P) or you can do it manually and find the drivers by your self :)

EDIT: also you could check out this thread about CPU Throttling ( http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it) and see if that helps, but I'm not sure if that is your problem for bad FPS :(

erikhell
01-14-2012, 09:04 PM
I have now updated the drivers requested. LAN, WLAN, Sound.

But my chipset drivers still is Intel Chipset INF Update Utility 9.2.0.1015. not Intel Chipset INF Update Utility 9.2.0.1030. Think this might be the problem?

I have not updated that drivers since the test on intels webpage it says I do not need to update, shell I do it anyway? And if so im a bit nervous I will break something... What do you recommend?

fuzon1337
01-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Hmm, if fyou did find a later version for your notebook and the Update utility check didn't find a newer version for you, I would recommend to install the latest version ( http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20019&ProdId=3321&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples ) for your notebook :) If it is the wrong or not supported it would not be installed on your notebook ;)

Install and then do a reboot, if something goes wrong you could restore to an earlier point when it works as it should do :)

I'm currently useing a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and just have to remember which hardware and info is in that notebook, sine mine is at the workshop for some humble mumble issue (KB backlit def) -.-

EDIT: is there any noticeable difference after those updates you have done so far?

erikhell
01-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Hi,

Well drivers are updated but sad enough it did not solve the problem. I have noticed under device manager "other devices" that I have:

Universal serial Bus (USB) controller that is not correctly installed.. Any idea what this is, can it be related to me FPS prob's?

fuzon1337
01-14-2012, 11:15 PM
I don't think that has anything to do with your FPS problems, that seems like a USB controller that is not correctly installed (to quote you), you could uninstall it and let microsoft find the driver for it, if you have the possibility to choose a option named "roll back driver" or something like that you could try that out :)

But this FPS loss syou get during games, does it only occur LoL or other games too?

erikhell
01-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Hi yes there is diffrence, now when I set my videocard in game to benchmark i stay around 200+ fps it goes up and down. To my surprise i still get drops like 240 - 152 -190 - LAG - 5 - 152- 200, unfortunatly I dont have any other games. I installed the 3.0 usb under the link you sent me and it solved the uninstalled usb thingie..

This is so wierd.. I have tested diffrent Nvidia settings to, but I dont really understand tripple buffering and things like that but I followed a link at LoL's homepage and used those settings.

fuzon1337
01-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Okey, so I've searched on google and found this site (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=486247) about CPU Throttling issue with fix (or how the user in that forum fixed it) for LoL gamers, find the third last post and read that one :)

erikhell
01-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Have already read it and tried it. It's not the issue, and I have throttlestop installed also. Gonna read more about it if there is any setting I have missed but I dont think so.

Icemanforlife
01-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Did you turn on throttlestop?

erikhell
01-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Yes its turned on. This is what my Throttlestop 4.0 settings look like please get back to me if you see anything that might be the cause of this. I have tried some diffrent settings also. I attached a picture.

fuzon1337
01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
I found a new site with possible solution, take a look at this site ( http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1689389), if you not already have looked at this page.

EDIT: Btw, whcih battery configuration do you use, either in P4G or Microsofts own utility, high performance?

erikhell
01-15-2012, 03:11 PM
I have tried both and made sure me processor is running 100% I even set the min to 100%. I get back to you on the post to see wwhat is taking up the power in taskmanager. (If anything.)

fuzon1337
01-15-2012, 03:21 PM
As you have mentioned earlier, it seems that the latest patch is the big issue here.
So if some of these suggestions do not fix the problem, it seems that you have to wait until there is a new patch that fixes the problem.

Alternatively (if possible), is to uninstall the patch*and let the game work without the update.

erikhell
01-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Here is a picture of my taskmanager resource monitor during gameplay. There is nothing that takes up much memory active the CPU was at max 20% But as you can see on the picture the disk seem to be spiking, and those spikes seem to be at the same time as the FPS drops. Think this might have anything to do with the problem I suffer from? If so is there anything to do about it I have the M28 drivers installed now, they seem to be the latest.

/Erik

Myk SilentShadow
01-15-2012, 03:39 PM
I want to start with saying im so glad you are taking youre time to help me with this issue.

No this started around christmas after a patch update in the game. Since then its been more or less unplayable. FPS drops range often starts when graphics get a little bit more heavy around 2-4 mins into the game. I know many other SW users have this issue since I have read it on other forums. Thats why im curious if anyone have a ASUS G73SW and can run the game fine now, without and fps drops at all? If so I know its not my computer that is faulty but the game update.

Anyways since im not the best with computers im very glad for any ideas on how this can be fixed..

/Erik

Ok have you tried running the game without the patch to see how your FPS are? if you have tried absolutely everything that has been suggested and nothing works, like you said....it's most definitely the update/patch. If the patch turns out to most definitely be the problem, then inform those in the Forums you have been asking in and just tell everyone to uninstall the patch, until the game makers can fix the problem. Stuff like this can and will happen from time to time.

fuzon1337
01-15-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure, and now I am out of ideas about how to fix this issue :(
I can see that you are not alone with this issue, and the patch is the issue.

And searching on google is a downer, since you only get to the LoL forums (almost) and they complain to the support without any good feedback -.-

erikhell
01-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes I guess so. Still so many can still run the game just fine. That makes it confusing. Much thanks for all the help you given me to bad we could not solve it. I read somwhere on this forum of another guy who had trouble with FPS drops and it was his HDD that made it. But if thats the case I guess its strange that it would happen just now by christmas and not before..?

Well LoL is badly coded and as you say support is a joke so I guess thats the most likly source of error, at least now all of my drivers are up to date.. :)

/Erik

fuzon1337
01-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Hehe, I'm glad you got something good out of this experience :)

And to answear your question, it could be faulty HDD, that have bloomed lately and that's why you experience the FPS drops now. So you could check if the guy you talking about got his issue fixed.
But I would stand for the issue with the patch and let us hope for the developers soon will release a new one :)

unclewebb
01-16-2012, 01:54 AM
You have ThrottleStop set up to do basically nothing.

If you want it to try and control CPU throttling then try checking the two different Clock Modulation boxes and set those to 100.0% and also check the Set Multiplier box and make sure that is set to Turbo.

Now check the Log File box and go and play a game so you have an accurate record of your CPU's performance. Upload ThrottleStopLog.txt to www.mediafire.com and post a link here or email it directly to the ThrottleStop author. Remember to exit ThrottleStop before uploading or sending the log file so all data can be written to it.

CPU throttling might not be the source of your problems but it needs to be investigated further. The G73SW has some known throttling issues so you need to have a good look at the log file and know what to look for to figure this out. Provide lots of data while your computer is throttling and dropping the FPS to a crawl.

erikhell
01-16-2012, 10:12 AM
You have ThrottleStop set up to do basically nothing.

If you want it to try and control CPU throttling then try checking the two different Clock Modulation boxes and set those to 100.0% and also check the Set Multiplier box and make sure that is set to Turbo.

Now check the Log File box and go and play a game so you have an accurate record of your CPU's performance. Upload ThrottleStopLog.txt to www.mediafire.com and post a link here or email it directly to the ThrottleStop author. Remember to exit ThrottleStop before uploading or sending the log file so all data can be written to it.

CPU throttling might not be the source of your problems but it needs to be investigated further. The G73SW has some known throttling issues so you need to have a good look at the log file and know what to look for to figure this out. Provide lots of data while your computer is throttling and dropping the FPS to a crawl.

Hi,

When i changed to the settings in Throttlestop as you wrote It felt like the game was moving along little smoother. But still not good. Anyways I have done what you asked for and here is the logfile hopefully someone out there understands it better then I do. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?hqeofgucp18kj1n

I hope this works have never used Medafire before.

I have also attached new images to this post how my Throttlestop 4.0 is setup now.

I am very greatful that you guys take your time and help me since im pretty much stuck.

unclewebb
01-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Your log file does not show any CPU throttling issues. You can also try logging the GPU speed with the GPU-Z program from TechPowerUp. Have a look in that log file and make sure the MHz numbers are not sagging down while gaming.

Your temperatures look good. You might want to look into overclocking your GPU to get some more FPS out of your laptop.

Try running some benchmarks like the 3DMark series so you can compare your results with other users. Laptops are not as powerful as desktop computers so maybe your expectations about how smooth this game should play are not realistic.

erikhell
01-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Hi all!

I am running my GPU on 800-1600-1600 during gameplay it goes up to 60C so I dont think GPU is throttling, I use GPU-Z and Nvidia Inspector. Im fairly convinced that the problem is at Riot who makes the game. So many seem to have same issue on diffrent laptops. I am still glad I got this problem, thanks to it I have found this forum and learned how to update bios, clear PC / Update all drivers, overclock both CPU and GPU and tons of other things about computers which is better then spending time playing a game. Also when you get into it its really fun!

Thanks all of you who took the time to help me out, this is a great forum!

Best regards
/Erik

Gomesss
04-04-2012, 03:05 AM
I have tried diffrent drivers but now I use the latest beta driver 290.53.

I know many others have this issue with G73SW and LoL anyone of you have same computer and play it without problems?

I have also just reinstalled windows and hardly have any programs installed so cant be that much junk in register..

I have the same problem... And my computer gets to hot in the back (right side. graphic board)