PDA

View Full Version : Renaming threads...

rogue071
01-14-2012, 06:34 PM
would be nice to be able to rename a thread. my last issue turned out to be something totally different than the thread title. most people that had similar issues would probly overlook the thread entirely. possibly make it manditory to enter a reason why it was changed so it wasnt abused.

chrsplmr
01-14-2012, 07:05 PM
id second that.. have often wondered why a title cant be edited...
good question...and why are some BOLD?? hmmmmm ???

Mods can.... but.. thats a lot.. read a thread and decide if it is title well..???
I seen it a few times....and always done right and well...

A trusted member is a trusted member...
There was a 100post threshold...that told by then if a member was ROG or dog...
as in the MemberMotherBoardReviews....

even if you misSpel....would be handy.

One thing I can say is..members abuse nothing...Members wont stand for it..
its a great place...because they make it so...

HiVizMan
01-14-2012, 08:03 PM
It seems to be an admin thing only. So if you want a thread renamed like the pagefile thread you have to ask one of us who will ask an Admin.

Makes us feel needed I guess. :D

chrsplmr
01-15-2012, 02:47 AM
Seems reasonable to me. But you know HiViz.. i know for me...im sure others..
you hate to impose on mods and admin..already overscheduled precious little time.
But...if its handled on an as it comes in basis...why not.. it might take a bit though...eh Viz??

No offense..but i have quite a few things pointed to for mods..that.....hahaha...longTimeNow....
everyone has been quite busy and new happening every minute or two.....all in time.

hahahaa Wanted is Better than Needed......

HiVizMan
01-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Nah you are right mate stuff like changing your own posts title should be up to the OP.

I will pass it on to the back end guy when he gets back to the office come Monday.

xeromist
01-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Nah you are right mate stuff like changing your own posts title should be up to the OP.

The title is what makes it so that people can find it again. If the title is changing all the time people will lose track of what they have posted. I agree if there are no replies, but it isn't just the OP's thread once discussion has commenced. It's the same reason I'm loathe to delete an entire thread full of various people when an OP gets pissy and wants it all deleted.

On many forums you can change your title shortly after posting but that goes away after some time or after replies (not sure which) so that allows spelling and rewording fixes. That might be the case here but being a mod I can't tell. After that I think it's reasonable to force a second opinion so that chaos doesn't ensue.

chrsplmr
01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
I believe the OP's Thread is just that. Posting a question or a position.
I have seen many unfortunately named threads..or mis spelling...ect.
Some rants...or flapping titles are soon turned around..for another example..
the OP may regret it...
A trusted member..is a trusted member...i humbly suggest....
..but as X suggests also...requesting a Mod....id leave the admin alone..
...at their convenience of course....
If an OP is asking a question..and it goes off track...why shouldnt
it be deleted...to be re Posted ??? for another example...
We as members should be resposible for the threads we create..
all post thereafter are work product of that thread..................
Policy seems to be evolving.... still check'n boxes....and click'n that..
And when it is all said and done..somebody..please
..Clear Rules...all of them.

Maybe another level of Member is needed.
with all due respect to all.

I have several threads I would delete all together...without explaination.
Not the JoeROG Review.....well...not until I get my t-shirt...hahaha...ya..i didnt forget..
i want it.....hahahhaha...c.

xeromist
01-17-2012, 08:06 PM
I have several threads I would delete all together...without explaination.

If it's just your posts or if other users have posted a few throw away comments then I have no problem with that. Let me know what they are and I'll kill them for you. If someone has posted an opinion or something substantive then IMO you no longer have the right to delete or change the tone of the entire thread (and hence their post). You can always edit your own comments if necessary, though I always encourage people to own their words(post a correction rather than deleting).

To give an example of why this is bad, let's say I post a thread with the title "Hang SOPA supporters for treason" and message text "What do you all think? Opinions?". You post in reply "They have it coming. Let's do our worst and let God sort them out". Now if I change the title to "Child slave labor worsens" you suddenly look like a really bad guy.

I don't think people can be trusted to be responsible with the ability to remove or alter the context of what others write.

kb0sdq
01-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Wow good point X. I agree with you. I remember when I started on this forum and I started a thread and got an answer from you or Jr then I said ok mods please delete this thread and you said why and that it will help someone that is looking for the same info.
Keep on ROG_n
Doug