PDA

View Full Version : GPU temperature

dogmaticus
12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Hello everyone!

I've been having problems with my G73 and decided to make a post about it since I'm out of ideas what it might be. I'm also not too technical, but probably this will be visible in the way I describe the problem ;).

I've always had problems with GSOD, so I was using the drivers that came with the ASUS dvd attached to the computer.

Around month ago my G73 shut down when I was plaing Lord of the Rings online. It was hot like hell, and it seems that the reason was overheating of the GPU.

This happened two times more.

Today I upgraded bios from 206 to 209 and then to 211. I also updated my drivers for the graphics.

After updating the vbios I have no issue with GSOD. However the temperature after 10 minutes of playing Wordl of Warcraft: Cataclysm gets to 102 degres Celsius (214 F). Is that normal?! What should I do about it?

I will appreciate any help.

EDIT
After playing 15 minutes more the temperature got to 107 Celsius (224F). On the right side the heat is blowing quite strong, on the left it's hot, but it's not blowing that much. I don't know if that makes sense ;), but since I haven't got much of an idea what I' talking about, I thought that every detail might be useful.

Brian@ASUS
12-13-2010, 07:37 PM
be sure to clean out your heatsinks, could have dust clogged in there. if not what kind of graphic settings do you have on wow? 107 is at the limit of throttling. after doing the vbios, do you have the latest catalyst drivers? not the ones from asus' site but from amd's site

dogmaticus
12-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Thank You for the info. As said my technical knowledge is at the level of 0, or mabe even slightly below ;). So... how do I clean the heatsinks?

I updated the catalyst prior to the vbios update. Should I uninstall and reinstall it? (I took it from the amd site)

When it comes to graphics settings in WoW I have resolution 1910x1080 and the graphics settings on... ultra.

xeromist
12-13-2010, 08:25 PM
The easiest way is to get some canned air with a little straw attachment and blast it into the vents on the laptop. That can break up any dust bunnies but it won't do much for gunk (for instance if you smoke near the laptop). For that you have to take the laptop apart and clean with electronics cleaner.

dogmaticus
12-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Playing LotRO on max settings with DX11 broke my personal best - 108 degree Celsius.

If I have to take laptop apart, I'd rather take it to some pro :). But blasting air into the vents sounds like something I can do. I don't smoke or anything, but there certainly may be some dust in it... hope that this is the reason.

xeromist
12-13-2010, 08:40 PM
It's worse if you are in a dusty room or you tend to use it on a bed or other fuzzy dust-magnet type surfaces.

I hope the canned air does it for you. No fun to take apart or RMA a laptop.

Chastity@ASUS
12-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Here's some insight on your overheating issues:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/540077-chastitys-thoughts-repasting-read-here-first.html

I should make a copy of it here as well...

dogmaticus
12-13-2010, 08:54 PM
The strange part is that I get these problems only with WoW and Lord of the Rings Online. With WoW I set he values to "good" which is a mid-value for video settings, and the temperature did not rise above 85 degree. But in LotRO it's crazy. Also as an example I just played the DC Universe Online beta on max settings, and I don't get above 85 degree as well. That's really odd that LotRO is overheating it.

Anyway I guess that trying to clean it with canned air won't do any harm as well. I almost always use my G73jh onhard surfaces, so to speak ;). But.. you never know. I have it for almost 8 months now, and cleaning it is probably advisable to say the least.