PDA

View Full Version : Headphone hack emits red light!

Basilo
01-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Well, first, i am going to sue astro's ass of over their quality control, but for now, i will post this. So, my the tip of my headphone plug broke off in my jack, and after i got it out, the jack started emiting this red light and it became finicky about how hard the plug was pressed in and how it was rotated. Do i need to get it replaced?

Edit: i meant for the title to say jack...

BrodyBoy
01-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Well, first, i am going to sue astro's ass of over their quality control, but for now, i will post this. So, my the tip of my headphone plug broke off in my jack, and after i got it out, the jack started emiting this red light and it became finicky about how hard the plug was pressed in and how it was rotated. Do i need to get it replaced?

Edit: i meant for the title to say jack...
You didn't say what model you have, but you clearly have a combo jack.....it's both a headphone and mini-SPDIF jack.

If it's broken, from your headphone plug incident, you would have to get it replaced. Fortunately, these are almost always add-on boards, so just that board would need to be replaced, not the whole M/B.

Basilo
01-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Oh, yeah, its a g74sx

BrodyBoy
01-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Okay, then it's just a small audio board, if you have to replace it and want to do it yourself. (You don't need the cable, since you can just re-use the one you have.)

Depending on where you live and where you bought your G74, you may have one-year accidental damage coverage. If you do, Asus would presumably replace the board free-of-charge.

Basilo
01-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Ok, who do i call to ask for the service?

BrodyBoy
01-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Ok, who do i call to ask for the service?
Asus. There's usually a sticker on the bottom of the chassis, with a service phone number. There's also an Asus RMA guide on both this forum and on NBR.

Tamour
01-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Hi. I am about to buy the G74, but it must have a SPDIF. I know your headphone jack is emitting a red light, but its just that I have no where read that the G74 has spdif. So If you can answer this for me, itll help me out a lot in the decision making process. I think you can check in the audio settings if the laptop has Optical out through the headphone jack. Please let me know soon. Thanks.

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Hi. I am about to buy the G74, but it must have a SPDIF. I know your headphone jack is emitting a red light, but its just that I have no where read that the G74 has spdif. So If you can answer this for me, itll help me out a lot in the decision making process. I think you can check in the audio settings if the laptop has Optical out through the headphone jack. Please let me know soon. Thanks.

No need to double-post to get questions answered around here. :)

Again...yes, the headphone jack is also a mini-optical out. (I should that add, however, that I recall at least a couple users who had trouble getting full 5.1 output. So I can't vouch for the ability of the G74 to accommodate the setup you want.....presumably, optical out to your receiver, for full surround, and HDMI/VGA out to your monitor.)

Bojamijams
01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Only some models must have the combo jack because my G74SX-RH71 doesn't have the optical S/PDIF

BrodyBoy
01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Only some models must have the combo jack because my G74SX-RH71 doesn't have the optical S/PDIF
You actually tried it? Unlike my other Asus laptop, they didn't label it on the G74. On the more thorough European parts site, there's only one audio board listed for the G74.

Bojamijams
01-27-2012, 06:28 PM
No I haven't tried it because its not a COAX S/PDIF and if it was optical, the light would be there. I will try it when I get home but I'm 99.9% sure I don't have optical.

Will confirm and update.

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 06:40 PM
...... if it was optical, the light would be there.
No, that's not correct. I have two laptops with combo headphone/SPDIF jacks, and they don't emit any noticeable light when not in use.

Bojamijams
01-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Forgot about all this :(

Will test tonight, for real :P but I'm curious.. if mine is a combo jack, why didn't they include a mini TOSLINK adapter like they did when I bought the Xonar U3 USB Soundcard which does have a combo jack and does emit the red light. Seems rather silly to have a combo port but not the adapter to actually make use of it

BrodyBoy
01-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Forgot about all this :(

Will test tonight, for real :P but I'm curious.. if mine is a combo jack, why didn't they include a mini TOSLINK adapter like they did when I bought the Xonar U3 USB Soundcard which does have a combo jack and does emit the red light. Seems rather silly to have a combo port but not the adapter to actually make use of it
Same reason they don't include most other accessories you may need, like an ethernet, HDMI, USB cable, etc.

Users are expected to buy the accessories they need. This is not exclusive to Asus.

Bojamijams
02-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Same reason they don't include most other accessories you may need, like an ethernet, HDMI, USB cable, etc.

Users are expected to buy the accessories they need. This is not exclusive to Asus.

Fair enough, and you were right! It does indeed double as a digital output.

Swifty76
02-03-2012, 01:50 AM
I can confirm that this works as well. Bought a toslink-spdif cable today and tried it out. Works perfectly, just make sure that you switch the sound output to digital as default (Right click on your volume in the bottom right and hit playback devices). Hated using USB for my 5.1 headphones, that was the only thing that bug me about this laptop till I read the OP.

kb0sdq
02-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Yup I saw a post on nbr i think it was where Chastity said the G73JH had digital output.
So that is pretty cool
Happy ROG_n

Doug

BrodyBoy
02-03-2012, 03:11 AM
Geez guys....did you all think I was just BS'ing you or what???

Swifty76
02-03-2012, 03:48 AM
Yeah kind of at first. I always wondered what the Digital output was under playback devices. Figured it was HDMI, but now I'm 100% happy with this laptop. Optical out was the only thing I was wishing this computer had. Battlefield 3 never sounded better. Thanks again for noticing this. Also, Check out my guide HERE (http://www.comc.cc/Rob/bios.html) for un-throttling your G74SX via BIOS Flash.