PDA

View Full Version : How do people feel about VR and AR now?

tampere
07-07-2017, 03:17 PM
So, I guess the Pokemon thing has cooled down, but it was still a fun use of augmented reality. I don't seem to hear as much about virtual reality now in gaming, how do people perceive it all? A dying trend or tech that is actually useful?

xeromist
07-07-2017, 06:17 PM
AR isn't going away. There is definitely a market for things like tourism aides even if AR gaming turns out to be niche.

VR needs to be more accessible. Right now you need expensive and often clunky hardware. Plus some of us get sick. The other problem is content. Right now a lot of VR content is just normal content displayed as VR, or even worse adapted to exploit a half-baked gimmick that isn't actually better. Once the technology matures I think we'll see more creators willing to take a risk on original content that is designed for VR.

Chadd74
07-07-2017, 11:08 PM
I agree, there needs to be more VR content. I have the PSVR and love it for the short period of time I can actually use it before getting very ill. I think VR is just getting started. Had some family over last weekend and they all tried out the PSVR and I believe it convinced them to go get not just a PSVR but a PS4 as well (because you need one). I think not enough people have tried it and dont really understand how amazing it really is or can be. Love it for 3D movies also.

davemon50
07-08-2017, 02:12 AM
I agree, there needs to be more VR content. I have the PSVR and love it for the short period of time I can actually use it before getting very ill. I think VR is just getting started. Had some family over last weekend and they all tried out the PSVR and I believe it convinced them to go get not just a PSVR but a PS4 as well (because you need one). I think not enough people have tried it and dont really understand how amazing it really is or can be. Love it for 3D movies also.

Yeah, I bought a PS4 for the kids, and it's a great console. But I won't invest in PSVR because of the issue mentioned above, sickness. There are some PC games that the motion really makes me sick, so I know PSVR will too. Usually by the time you realize you are sick it's already too late. And they're fun so you tend to push yourself longer and too far as well. For those PC games, letting a lot of light in the room and moving further away from the monitor helps, but doesn't solve it. VR maybe won't fail, but it'll receive a flattened reception IMO because of this problem for so many people.

Korth
07-08-2017, 04:17 AM
AR can be implemented onto existing hardware. Mobile apps, commercials, marketing, television, internet, etc - anywhere you have a combination involving some kind of camera/scanner/sensor, some kind of display/screen/output, and some kind of processor/computer. We embrace "cool" AR stuff all the time, it's built into everything from car dashboards to greeting cards. We despise "invasive" AR stuff like annoying advertisements and QRIO barcodes. AR a tool which can entertain, inform, and make money, it's here to stay.

VR needs special hardware. And it turns out all the cool VR stuff we've seen in sci-fi film, television, and books isn't actually all that cool or useful in reality. There's much simpler ways to reconstruct "immersive" environments, BF4 can be played across three 3D monitors a whole lot easier than BF4 can be played in a holodeck.

tampere
07-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Yeah, motion sickness is easily the biggest complaint I've heard about VR. It happened to me in some Star Wars VR video... had to lie down for like an hour afterward :/ not fun. To me, a good game is still down to the graphics, gameplay, and characters. I don't feel like this gimmick adds anything, other than a bit of a laugh for a few minutes (or motion sickness for most people). I can't imagine gaming with your friends and everyone is wearing VR helmets. I just don't see it lasting.

xeromist
07-12-2017, 05:29 PM
Well, "gaming with your friends" has become a mostly online experience anyway so nobody cares what you are wearing. I think if they can solve sickness and shrink to a $200 pair of ski goggles then adoption could be strong among hardcore gamers. Obviously there would have to be compelling experiences as well.

Korth
07-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Not sure how many will embrace hardcore VR gaming when the best workarounds for many involve a regimen of special pills (or special exercises) to fight off vertigo and nausea, lol.

Then again, very few people have enough physical constitution to become champion athletes, perhaps very few have enough virtual constitution to become champion gamers. Although I still doubt VR offers substantial advantages over more traditional interfaces.

xeromist
07-12-2017, 07:57 PM
That's why I stipulated they would have to solve sickness. Ultimately it might not be possible since motion sickness is a bigger issue that hasn't been completely solved. But there are novel ideas being researched like adding a virtual nose that might help some people so it's possible we could see a breakthrough. I think the simplest solution would be to label different types of games based on the risk of sickness. Games where you mostly stand still and interact around you don't seem to cause nausea for me. A racing game where I'm moving through the world in high speed did me in within a few minutes.

Chadd74
07-13-2017, 01:38 AM
I found for me the best ways to get over the sickness is to either take a motion sickness pill which is hit or miss. The best solution so far is Whiskey!! After a few glasses it's all good!

xeromist
07-13-2017, 06:05 AM
I found for me the best ways to get over the sickness is to either take a motion sickness pill which is hit or miss. The best solution so far is Whiskey!! After a few glasses it's all good!

LOL. Yeah I also take the pills for certain games (not even VR!!!) that make me sick. It's pretty rare I need them but Quern is the most recent example. Whiskey...I dunno. Sounds like a good way to accelerate the process. :p

Korth
07-14-2017, 03:18 AM
I think the simplest solution would be to label different types of games based on the risk of sickness.
This is an interesting idea which seems workable.

Some games already offer "severity" warnings for risk of inducing epileptic seizures. Some games have too many flashy, blinky, busy things going onscreen which can trigger seizures in sensitive people. Although this isn't a regulated practice, as it stands these sorts of warnings are voluntary (in North America, anyhow).

Korth
07-19-2017, 06:57 PM
lol ... ultimate low-budget VR from google! (https://vr.google.com/cardboard/)

tampere
07-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Let's discuss VR again in 5 years... perhaps we'll see how long lasting it is!

davemon50
07-24-2017, 04:49 PM
lol ... ultimate low-budget VR from google! (https://vr.google.com/cardboard/)

Chic FilA was giving away a version of those with their kids meals, decorated up with their eat more chicken look.

FonzieBulldog
07-24-2017, 08:58 PM
Watching movies and playing games some times every week in VR with HTC Vive for a year back now and its just great.Sold the Playstation VR when i didnt like the grumpy image in that VR system.

tampere
07-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Watching movies and playing games some times every week in VR with HTC Vive for a year back now and its just great.Sold the Playstation VR when i didnt like the grumpy image in that VR system.

A grumpy image on the box?

FonzieBulldog
07-26-2017, 07:12 PM
A grumpy image on what box ?.

tampere
07-28-2017, 08:27 AM
"grumpy image in that VR system"

FonzieBulldog
07-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Yes, used to shift between the PS4 VR and HTC Vive and fast found out that the PS4 VR was the looser when the HTC Vive and its clear picture was much nicer to the eyes in the long run.And now when HTC Vive also have got the Deluxe Strap its the winner for sure.Of course the price is a matter of state in this comparison but if you have to choose and not to think about the cost ... grab the HTC Vive.

https://s18.postimg.org/trljcgr2h/Fonzie_Bulldog_VR.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/5nuro68lh/)

http://fonziebulldog.blogspot.se/2017/07/datorer-vr-och-alla-dessa-kringprylar.html

teiva
11-19-2017, 08:43 PM
I bought my Vive around a year ago. The honeymoon period lasted about 1 month then I settled down and now mainly use it for Flight Sims where its a game changer. I can no longer fly the sims just using a monitor as the VR gives you that next level of immersion. It's a match made in heaven. I do look forward to Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR as I'd like to experience those games in VR. As newer HMDs with higher resolutions are released, the biggest problem I foresee is that the graphics hardware is nowhere near powerful enough to run them properly. I have 2 rigs for VR, one with NVidia/Intel gear & the other with all AMD gear. Even with the 1080Ti it struggles at times to push out a true 90FPS without having to dial down the settings.

A pleasant surprise for me was how fast the all AMD rig actually is. I expected it to be slower then it turned out to be. From my own experience, Vega isn't the dog it's perceived to be. Sure it isn't a DX11 beast (my 1080Ti covers that) but it certainly gives the 1080Ti and run for it's money in DX12 & Vulkan (sometimes outperforms it). Vega feels like it still has a lot more to give performance wise.

ezeht
12-19-2017, 04:50 AM
Think I will pass on it- think I will have neck and back probs and I see in some games you have no hands etc like Fallout 4.. If you enjoy it- cool..

Arne Saknussemm
01-12-2018, 02:59 PM
nobody cares what you are wearing.

As long as you're wearing something! ;)

JustinThyme
01-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Havent tried AR but VR is just uncomfortable. I dont have sickness issues with it, I just dont like it. One HUGE factor is I do not like not being aware of whats going on around me. What happens if you have a VR headset on and something unthinkable happens and your senses are somewhere else? Call me paranoid or whatever but Im one of those people that when sitting down in a public place I always have my back to the wall. If they dont have such a table I will either wait or find another place or even make reservations in advance that specify such seating. I may be able to deal with AR but have not yet seen any place where I can try it out. VR is definitely out though. Would be nice if a wrap around monitor that mimics VR aspects was developed where you could experience the the VR without having to completely be unaware of whats going on around you as well.

Silent Scone@ROG
01-16-2018, 11:16 AM
What happens if you have a VR headset on and something unthinkable happens and your senses are somewhere else?

You mean like when you're asleep? lol

Arne Saknussemm
01-16-2018, 12:23 PM
VR and AR were both superseded by MainStreamMedia news reporting

http://www.redbrick.me/gaming/generation-vr-doomed-fail/

Called it....;) https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83933-VR

xeromist
01-16-2018, 05:48 PM
You mean like when you're asleep? lol

Justin doesn't sleep; he waits for Exhaustion to give up and go away. :cool: