PDA

View Full Version : G73JH GPU Overheating Observations and Suggestions (Read This First)

Chastity@ASUS
12-13-2010, 08:58 PM
It's been 4 months since I've repasted my G73JH, which is how old my lappy was when it started to have thermal issues. Actually it was 3 months, and I lived with it for a month before actually fixing it. :)

From reading this forum during the last four months, I've gotten quite a bit of feedback on people's various repastes, with different levels of success, and a few failures resulting in RMA's. Most involving the damn keyboard removal. So I decided to write up a summary of what we've learned, so people can read this first and then ask questions if they are not answered here.

On Temperatures

This section addresses these questions:

"Are my temps good, or do I need to repaste?"
"When should I consider a repaste?"
"Asus says that the chip is designed to operate up to 114C, so my 102C load temp is ok, right?"
"My laptop is idling at 62C. Is this OK?"

According to AMD, the 5870M can operate safely up to 114C before requiring a thermal shutdown, and our BIOS is designed to do just that. However, I believe that we should operate well below this to allow for headroom. And Asus knows this as well, since new G73's operate at about 80-85C on load, and about 54C idle. Unfortunately, the thermal paste they use, and sometimes a loose mounting screw for the heatsink makes this worse, will dry out over the course of 1-3 months. During this period, you will see a slow rise in operating temperatures. Dust accumulation and smoking will help clog the heat vents making this a faster transition.

Then you will see people with idle temps in the 60-70C range, and load temps at 100C+. Despite the official statement about 114C, this is not a good scenario. Why? Because your heatsink and cooling system is operating subpar to what it is capable of, and it will only get worse if allowed to continue.

So as a guideline, I suggest the warning temps should be:

64C+ idle temps
98C+ load temps

If you are seeing temps in this neighborhood or higher, you are due for a repaste of the GPU.

Since I haven't done a Furmark in awhile, I did a 1 hour run:

1-hr Furmark Run (http://pcaudio.ath.cx/crap/furmark-1hr.jpg)

As you can see:

1) The vBIOS is updated to the current beta.
2) Operating temps are still quite low, even 4 months later. Ambient temps are reported at 23C. She's currently idling at 49C.
3) On 211, the fan ramps up when she hits 77C on core, and turns down at 76, which is why she hovers at this point.

After repasting with ICD7 four months ago, I've had no degradation of thermal cooling performance. This is what our G73 cooling system is capable of, so why should you settle for subpar performance?

On Thermal Pastes

"Which thermal paste is best?"
"What should I repaste with?"

There are many on the market, and every forum has their favorites. But we should consider what physical properties would most benefit our G73's. Since our heatsinks' contact surface is not the greatest, and the potential for a loose mount screw exists, we should consider using a paste with a higher viscosity. (thicker and heavier vs light and thin)

Why? A thicker grease will be more forgiving when surfaces aren't 100% flat and operate better should the mounts loosen slightly. In my opinion, Arctic Silver 5 is too low in viscosity for our purposes. When I repasted, I had 2 tubes of AS5 on hand, and I still went out and bought a tube of ICD7, because of that very same reason. And seeing how complicated opening up our chassis is, I didn't want to have to do it again.

So along these lines, here's a short list of various pastes I would recommend in no particular order:

1) IC Diamond 7
2) Arctic MX-2
3) OCZ Freeze

I recommend using the small pea-sized drop method, since that should minimize air capture, and insures the center of the chip is properly coated. Pastes like ICD7 still work optimally if you put too much, as the excess will just pour over the edges. They are also non-conductive.

On Doing The Repaste

"Should I do it myself, or should I have a tech do it?"
"Where can I get my service done?"

Only you can answer this question whether to do it yourself. It takes about 2-3 hours following the BTOTech Disassembly video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp90M_N6dzs). If you take your time, and be gentle, you can succeed. (I did!) I recommend using an edge to take the tape off from the back of the keyboard, like maybe a small ice scraper.

If you are not comfortable doing the disassembly, then either get a friend who is better at it, or hire a tech. Asus lists their ASP Partners (http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_NB_Warranty/NB_ANSP/index.html) for doing warranty service, so they should be able to do the job. You may even get it done for free if you can get Asus to give you a RMA #. This is best since you do not need mail it to Asus and wait a month, plus you can specify what paste you want used, and can inspect it before taking it home.

On Maintenance

If you notice your fans are working harder than usual, check the outtake vents on the back, and make sure they aren't getting clogged with dust and cigarette ashes. You can blow them out with compressed air as a quick fix, tho the best way to clean them out is to lift off the top of the casing and keyboard. Don't use a vacuum unless it's meant to be used on a PC. Household units can create static charges, which are bad for laptops.

Also, a laptop cooler is not needed if your G73 is cooling properly. My 1-hr run listed above used no laptop cooler, and the underside was not opened.

I hope this guide helps you make an informed decision about maintaining a properly cooled G73.

- Chastity

http://pcaudio.org/pics/Diamond-Engineer-Chastity.gif

Brian@ASUS
12-14-2010, 10:49 PM
awesome post thanks chasity!

Will Resch
12-15-2010, 02:33 AM
i am not 100% sure my laptop is over heating my idle temp on my CPU is around 60 and my GPU temp is 80 at idle which seams high. when i got the computer it idled around 40 and i just installed a GPU temp reader so idk what it was before. also in graphics intence games like borderlands, L4D 2 and just cause 2 it will shut down after about 10 mins of play but i can play TF2 and COD MW2 and black ops for hours with no problem. i just updated my BIOS so im not sure whats going on here. please help me

Will Resch
12-15-2010, 02:49 AM
i might have just found my problem, i put the computer in sleep mode then i blew into the rear fans and when i turned it back on it looked like smoke was coming out of them because of all of the dust, i repeated a few times and my temps are now much lower GPU went back to 66 and CPU is not at around 52. when i get home for x mas break i have to get some compressed air in there

Linkku
12-15-2010, 05:38 PM
It should be noted that this trhead is the author's own views on the subject. There area lot of opinions on this topic. Several efficient notebooks (gaming laptops) GPU temperatures idle around 85C - 93C when under load.

Brian@ASUS
12-28-2010, 01:02 AM
will, when you clean out your heatsinks, first do it when the computer is turned off, and do you want to take off the bottom panels and blow the dust OUT of the rear vents. if you blow into the rear vents, the dust will just get pushed back into the fans or somewhere else inside the notebook. yes it could work this way but its not recommended.

msgBldr
12-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Forgive me for being obtuse. What tool are you using to monitor the temperature? I have ProcessExplorer and know how to use the Task Manager but neither of them show temp as far as I can see.

tia... Bob

MarkS
12-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Forgive me for being obtuse. What tool are you using to monitor the temperature? I have ProcessExplorer and know how to use the Task Manager but neither of them show temp as far as I can see.

tia... Bob

HWiNFO32 (http://www.hwinfo.com/) is one you can use.

Chastity@ASUS
12-29-2010, 08:09 PM
There are several you can use:

GPU Observer Gadget for simple temp readings
HWINFO32 for more complete system info
AMD GPU Tool for HD5870 allows for monitoring and logging
GPU-Z does this as well

All of these are also free. :D

msgBldr
12-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks, Mark and Chastity, I installed HWiNFO32, very interesting info.

...Bob

Imp
01-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the info

MarkS
01-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the info

OT, but where is that wave in your avatar pic?

abojung
01-21-2011, 06:08 AM
ok guys here is the thing, even if the g7 can go as high as 90C, but why is it that when i play game my temperature is around 80. but after a while in the game i get vertical stripes of death. it is so frustrating for me. and even right now im just running google chrome but my core temperatures are around 66- 75C ( in celsius). please someone help me guys.

Chastity@ASUS
01-21-2011, 07:12 AM
ok guys here is the thing, even if the g7 can go as high as 90C, but why is it that when i play game my temperature is around 80. but after a while in the game i get vertical stripes of death. it is so frustrating for me. and even right now im just running google chrome but my core temperatures are around 66- 75C ( in celsius). please someone help me guys.

That kind of issue isn't caused by heat on the G73JH. It's caused by a mismatch of vBIOS settings and your GPU card. There is an updated vBIOS in the stickies and on my Driver Reference page. See the GSOD Fix thread for instructions.

Roach
01-24-2011, 01:54 PM
I was previously having heating issues on my JH, 95C after 10 minutes of gaming, with what should be medium load settings. All I did was install the Latest working driver listed in Chastity's sticky and the vBIOS update and now it's dropped to around 72C while gaming with high load settings. Still kind of shocked at the difference. Totally overlooked it at first, as it never made that much of a difference on my previous lappy, definitely worth trying though.

IM0001
02-03-2011, 09:29 PM
I was previously having heating issues on my JH, 95C after 10 minutes of gaming, with what should be medium load settings. All I did was install the Latest working driver listed in Chastity's sticky and the vBIOS update and now it's dropped to around 72C while gaming with high load settings. Still kind of shocked at the difference. Totally overlooked it at first, as it never made that much of a difference on my previous lappy, definitely worth trying though.

Make sure to check all 3 temps with one of the programs listed earlier. (GPU-Z, HWiNFO, etc) to make sure your not just reading the lowest temp. Something about the latest 11.01a's makes the CCC read the lowest temp of the 3 instead of the hottest. (On my end at least). My GPU 1 temp which was what CCC was reading, was only hitting 82C or so but my GPU 2 was hitting 106.5C and GPU 3 was at 95C so do not let the driver fool you that it is running cooler. Make sure to check to see all three temps.

Also a not for people that might want a postpone style fix, if you are playing games that go over 60FPS with ease, try turning on VSYNC which limits the Framerate to 60fps. This will lower the workload on the GPU slightly and can allow it to run cooler. A big example game where this helps is EVE Online where I regularly get over 100FPS but then the temps are not far off from a Furmark burn lol. With Vsync even before I repasted it dropped it into the 70-80C range and only used about 70% GPU usage vs 99%.

Loctite
02-06-2011, 02:38 PM
... and blow the dust OUT of the rear vents. ...

how should I blow the dust out?

Sorry for that stupid question :P

thyes
02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Hey everyone. I stumbled upon this forum last night when I was googling "g73jh shutdown".
You see I installd Battlefield Bad Company 2 last night, and was playing the Vietnam expansion with a couple of friends. The first thing I thought was "wow, the game runs real smooth". No lag or any issues with performance, and this was at High settings.
However, after about 5-6 minutes of gaming, my computer suddenly shuts down. No warning, error message or anything. I thought that this was wierd, and rebooted the PC and started playing again. Now the same thing happens. At this point I was thinking it has to be a thermal issue, so I installed RealTemp to monitor the temperatures. They were around 65-70 C, which my friend told me was fine. I posted on various forums, but everyone seemed to be certain that this is a problem caused by overheating.

I have not had this problem with Starcraft 2, however while running at Ultra settings I have got the Vertical stripes of death a number of times. I turned down the settings a bit, and the problem has not appeared since, knock on wood. I tried updating my ATI drivers, but that didn't help either. Some people here reported that flashing the BIOS seemed to do the trick, but I'm not comfortable picking with the BIOS too much. Some people even said that they got frequent shutdowns after a flash, so that's another reason why I don't want to do it.

I read on other forums etc. that about 20% of the people who bought this laptop are experiencing overheating issues, and that the only good solution is to get a GPU repaste job. I don't want to flash my BIOS myself, so I most certainly do not want to physically open up my laptop without being 110% sure of what I'm doing. So I guess this pretty much leaves me with only one choice; sending in my laptop for repair? I live in Norway and I don't know if Asus has a norwegian department, so I guess I'll have to call the store where I bought it.

I downloaded HWiNFO32 as someone suggested to another member here, and these are my idle temps:

http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/7978/pic1n.jpg (http://img602.imageshack.us/i/pic1n.jpg/)

Temps while playing Bad Company 2:

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6987/pic3done.jpg (http://img833.imageshack.us/i/pic3done.jpg/)

This was after about 2 minutes, the temp on "GPU TS2 (Shader)" reached 103C before I quit, seems my screenshot didn't get saved.
Surely this must be a overheating issue?

What options am I left with?
1) sending my laptop in for fixing/repasting
2) buying a good laptop cooler - this might not even work that well because of the g73's unconventional venting solutions?

If there's any way for me to fix this problem without sending my laptop in, please let me know. I'm frustrated here, and if I send it in it might take weeks before they get the job done and send it back to me :(

I'm sorry, I know this is a long read, I was just so happy that I found a dedicated G73 forum where people might have clues of what to do.

MarkS
02-13-2011, 04:29 PM
@Thyes:

Only a GPU repaste is going to fix your overheat issues....a cooler won't do it and neither will updating the driver.

Perhaps see if there's an authorized Asus repair center near you to do the repaste, and maybe they'll do the display adapter firmware for you as well if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

thyes
02-13-2011, 04:36 PM
@Thyes:

Only a GPU repaste is going to fix your overheat issues....a cooler won't do it and neither will updating the driver.

Perhaps see if there's an authorized Asus repair center near you to do the repaste, and maybe they'll do the display adapter firmware for you as well if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

In plain language, that's the BIOS flashing you're talking about?

Thanks for the reply. That's what I feared :( I live in a rather small city, so I don't know how many authorized Asus centres we have here. If I get some other techs to do the repaste and stuff, will that break my warranty?

MarkS
02-13-2011, 06:37 PM
In plain language, that's the BIOS flashing you're talking about?

Thanks for the reply. That's what I feared :( I live in a rather small city, so I don't know how many authorized Asus centres we have here. If I get some other techs to do the repaste and stuff, will that break my warranty?

I didn't mention a BIOS, but the display adapter firmware is often referred to as video BIOS or vBIOS. Won't fix your thermal issue but should eliminate any striped screens of death.

Warranty info and service center info should be on the Asus site.

thyes
02-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I called ASUS today and explained the overheating issue, and they said I should send my laptop in to RMA.
When I asked how long it would take for me to have my PC back, they said around 2 weeks. Has anyone else sent their laptop to RMA? I've heard scary rumours of people being without a comp for over 4 months :O

Because of these rumours I called a local PC repair shop, but the guy I spoke to said "there's absolutely nothing you can do about that. Laptops aren't meant for gaming, even if they are called 'gaming laptops'."
He almost sounded hostile, I'll never even think of using them again.

MarkS
02-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Has anyone else sent their laptop to RMA?

Twice. Both times took about two weeks. (I'm in California, USA)

metro2000
02-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to thank Chastity and everyone else on this thread and site for helping me out with the necessary info to successfully complete a re-paste of my GPU for my G73JH.

I simply followed that YouTube disassembly video, purchased some IC Diamond 7 for like 10 bucks from Amazon, and with a little bit of patience, it all turned out well. I have to admit, it was a bit scary taking off the keyboard and some of the ribbons, but if you take your time, anyone can do it. but seriously, you have to take your time and MUST NOT RUSH !!!! I successfully did the entire job in 3 hours.

ok, so here are the stats:

before re-paste:
Idle temp: 66-68 degrees Celsius.
Under Load: 88-94 degrees Celsius. (playing Starcraft-2 or COD Modern Warfare 2)
room temp: 24 degrees Celsius (76 F)

after re-paste:
Idle temp: 53-55 degrees Celsius.
Under Load: 66-71 degrees Celsius (same games, i know, it's incredible).
room temp: 24 degrees Celsius (76 F)

I'm using GPU Observer Win-7 gadget to clock the temps.

at first I didn't believe this can actually be a solution to my overheating GPU...I though that's just the norm...but in the end, it's actually true. the funny thing is I actually re-pasted my other laptop, a Lenovo N500, because it was always running hot..and I mean to the point of that I can no longer have it on my lap...after the re-paste, the fan barely, if ever, went full speed...with the same apps.

this is the utube video I used:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp90M_N6dzs

anyway, thanks everyone...now I trully know the actual power of my laptop..

-M

thyes
02-22-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm impressed that you managed to do it by yourself, good job. I have to admit it's kind of tempting to open it up and attempt to repaste the GPU myself, but I'm too scared of screwing something up. I don't have too much hardware experience, and especially not with laptops, so I'd better just RMA it.

But still, if I could do it myself, I would have a fully functional laptop in a matter of hours.. if I RMA it, it may take weeks. Bah, I wish some of my friends knew their way around this sort of thing!

metro2000
02-22-2011, 12:49 AM
thanks !! although in all fairness, I do have an engineering background, so this type of tinkering is just second nature for me...but yeah, if I wouldn't feel comfortable, I'd RMA it myself...it's just very easy to rip something if you're not careful...some of those ribbons are just too fragile...I'm impressed on how Asus managed to put this laptop together...honestly, the internal design of this laptop is just horrendous...whoever their internal design engineer was didn't do a very good job...I shouldn't have to take the entire laptop apart to reach some vital parts...the Lenovo laptop I did took me about 30 min to re-paste the cpu and gpu....they're accessible via bottom panels...but that's just the trade-off...fantastic laptop and power for some poor design...but that's ok..I'll take that :)

in conclusion, like I said, it can be done :) with some patience and some steady hands...if you feel you reached a tough part, take a break and come back to it... :)

good luck !!

by the way..not sure where you live, but if you live in the NYC area, I believe Asus has a local service shop where you can actually bring in your laptop...

-M

thyes
02-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Yeah well, I live in Norway, so that won't help me :P
I think we only have one Asus RMA center here, and it's in Oslo, southern parts of Norway, I live way up north.
Anyway, my plan is to fill in the RMA form today and send the laptop tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be as quick as possible.

metro2000
02-23-2011, 01:56 AM
cool. I hope it all works out for you...once you'll get it back, it'll feel like a brand new laptop.. :)

gpaunescu
02-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Hi,

I also concluded that I have to re-paste my G73 (in furmark arrive to 108 Celsius degree). I have two questions (I hope I don't repeat them, if where asked already).
1. is also need to re-paste the memory chips that are around of GPU (they are supplied with kind of paste)?
2. Who else did re-paste also for CPU? is recommended to be done (I don't want to open 2 times my laptop).

Sorry for my English, I'm not native speaker.

Thanks,
Gabi

metro2000
02-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Salut Gabi...

I didn't re-paste the GPU memory chips...they don't have an actual thermal paste but rather a thermal conductive material. it's this soft, sponge like material. I just made sure I didn't touch it. as for the CPU, I didn't re-paste that either. I've never seen my CPU usage above 25% :) you'll max out your GPU way before you'll max out your CPU. in my opinion, I don't think you need to re-paste the CPU. I just didn't want to fix something that's not broken. the GPU is the real problem in this laptop. I hope this helps...

noroc si multa bafta :)

-m

Spencer Duncan
03-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Howdy...I'm having te same problem listed above...followed the disassembly video from BTO, but there was nothing in the video about disassembling the video card mount? Is there a diagram/pictures/video for applying the paste for the GPU on the g73?

gpaunescu
03-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi,

@metro2000 : thanks for your advices (multumesc); where very usefull.
I did re-paste my GPU and CPU ( I couldn't resist to temptation and I not regret; the existing thermal paste was very bad spreaded - small circle in the center, around this empty ring and again a ring with some paste, all full of air bubbles).
So far, everything seems to be ok (I had a system hang yesterday, but I don't know if is connected with re-paste activity).
The only tips I have for the ones which are not use to open laptops (like me), is the one how to keep the screews: I did print the relevant pages from the disassambly guide, and I fit each screew in the same place, as it is on laptop, on the printed page. So in this way I can find which screew for each hole it is.
I followed the guides are from youtube ( the links are given on this thread).
Now, the temperatures are dropped with 15-20 Celsius degree for GPU (are around 88-93C and the room temperature is 28-30C - is very hot here in Saudi Arabia; before repaste was going around 108C ).

Thanks for everything,
Gabi

gpaunescu
03-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Howdy...I'm having te same problem listed above...followed the disassembly video from BTO, but there was nothing in the video about disassembling the video card mount? Is there a diagram/pictures/video for applying the paste for the GPU on the g73?

Check also this video:
Is in spanish, but at end it showing how to open GPU.

Gabi

metro2000
03-01-2011, 01:32 PM
@gpaunescu…you’re welcome, and you definitely did the right thing to re-paste the CPU as well…might as well since you had it open…in regards to the system hang, I did not experience anything like that with my system. I would attribute it to a loose connection somewhere, but I’m sure you would have noticed something not working if that was the case… I highly doubt its connected with the re-paste job. As for the temperature drops, that looks pretty legit. Seems to be working..15-20 degrees is what I’m seeing as well, but considering you’re in a much warmer climate, you’ll see higher temps overall, but much better than before…I’m sure you’d see different temp if you were in Constanta :)

@Duncan…yeah, the video stops short on disassembling the video card mount…which I think it’s a VERY important step…however, there should be I believe just 4 screws…these screws are a bit different. They’re spring-loaded screws…you can’t really miss them…they’re obvious...once you loosen them up, the heatsink come right off…I would try a slight twist motion to take the heatsink off since the paste acts as a slight glue between the heatsink and chip…cleaning the paste is a bit of a pain…I used a bit of rubbing alcohol and some q-tips…that thing was squeaky clean…

And as gpaunescu mentioned above, I actually almost did the same exact thing to keep track of the screws, their locations, and order in which I took them out…this is important…I print out a sheet of paper with steps, drew a rough diagram of the laptop (more like a rectangle :)), made some double sided tape out of regular tape, and affix it on top of each diagram step…I was a bit liberal with the diagrams so I had like 12 steps …. I marked an X of the rough location of the screw, and just stuck the screw on that X on my diagram. When I got to the ribbons, I just drew them on my sketch and the order I took them off…then just reverse the process and you’re golden…

I hope it works for you too…good luck…

-M

thyes
03-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Good to hear stuff working out for people. I neither had the nerve or the skill to repaste myself, so I RMA'd my laptop yesterday. Hope they'll get it right, and that it makes the trip back and forth in one piece. Padded it like you would think I'd be sending a baby in the mail, though :P

I've heard horror stories about people being without a comp in 4 months after sending them in, hopefully I'm more lucky than those poor *******s ^^

Dwarfwing
03-04-2011, 06:08 AM
@thyes Did thay admit the problem in RMA without any doubt? I have similar problem and i'm about to call them today. I already had my J73JH fixed (in sweden, i live in Finland) due to broken harddisk and that went great. 1 week from sending and they brought it back to my door. Great service i have to say. My temps are are in 95c+ when playing and Furmark crashes in minute. I tried Furmark maybe 5-6 time and every single time it crashes in a minute. GPUZ is around 100-102 before crashing and some horizontal graphics errors just before crashing.

So repasting is the thing i'm about ask them to do.

Woopy
03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Hey guys,

I was just looking around in threads since my G73 has been causing issues recently.

First of all, Just a couple days ago i start to hear noises from the right fan when i initially turn the notebook on. I read upon some thread about the issue and i came across something about bearing needing greased? or something like that. Which i am not entirely sure what the real problem is.

I also started to notice when i am running off my battery, my optimization reduce greatly and start to LAG. Using AC adapter is smooth. So maybe my battery is giving out? (i do leave the notebook on sleep/hibernate moving from place to place.)

So i was worried my internal temperature might not be normal due to the fan making noises. I went and grabbed HWiNFO32 as suggested from many threads (espically this one). If you could take a look at the idle temperature from the screenshot and give a feedback if this normal. As from the first post i might need repaste the gel to cool it down?

Lastly, I am aware of the crap **** multi touch pad issues but i believe it's due to the HDD being so close. I believe this because initial usage doesn't cause any problem but after 20 min. on my lap or 30 min. it start going insane (activating multi touch as it pleases).

Oh one more thing, I tried running the FurMark but after like 5 min. or so my notebook SHUTDOWN, i am assuming GPU reached maximum safety temperature. I did not see the temp. jump to 110 celcius before shutdown.

If someone could give feedback, i will appreciate it.

Thanks,

http://img46.imageshack.us/i/screenshotofvideocardte.jpg/

thyes
03-08-2011, 02:34 AM
Dwarfwing: I just called them and explained what my problem was (that my comp was shutting down while playing games) and the guy on the other line said they should have a look at it.
I also wrote in the RMA form that I had GPU temps of over 100 celsius, so I guess they can add up the numbers from there :)

Tracked my "order" today and they have recieved it, just have to sit tight and wait for them to repair it now!

Kornetto
03-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi there,
Shortly but i think on topic :)
I bought G73JH on 23.12.2010 , since then i accualy didn't "clean" it .
Last month i play much TDU2 , game really takes much graphic power , beacouse of its broken IMO engine , never mind.
Temperatures started to grow very much , like 105 celcius degress GPU and 90 C degress CPU :/ i started to worry , didnt want to repaste on my own , so i tooked off the back panel and blowed air through 2 "fans" on back of laptop few times.
There came out little , really , dust . So i turned on game , played 1h , temps dropped over 20!! Degress on CPU and GPU. :)
Maybe it will be helpfull for somebody :)
Thx for patience reading .
greets KOrnetto :)

sbsen
03-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Which center did you send it to? I had sent it to the Indiana center, they repaired it in 2 days and I got it back within a week :)
As per the printout they provided along with the laptop, they re-applied the thermal paste on the GPU and they tested it and it never went beyond 88C.

But, when I fire up Furmark and check the temps in hwinfo32 the temp shows 105 C ! :(

thyes
03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
sbsen: I live in Norway, I think the center is in Oslo.

105 degrees, that's not right.. have you contacted them again? :|

sbsen
03-10-2011, 06:09 AM
sbsen: I live in Norway, I think the center is in Oslo.

105 degrees, that's not right.. have you contacted them again? :|

Yes, I contacted them .. CS did not like the fact that the fix might not have worked .. they asked me to try couple more times .. every time I am getting the same issue .. :(

thyes
03-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Well this sucks! Got a mail today from the RMA center:

"Your order has now recieved the following status: Waiting spare parts"

Spare parts? What spare parts could they possibly need? Apparantly they don't just need to repaste my GPU :(

Torana
03-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi there,
Shortly but i think on topic :)
I bought G73JH on 23.12.2010 , since then i accualy didn't "clean" it .
Last month i play much TDU2 , game really takes much graphic power , beacouse of its broken IMO engine , never mind.
Temperatures started to grow very much , like 105 celcius degress GPU and 90 C degress CPU :/ i started to worry , didnt want to repaste on my own , so i tooked off the back panel and blowed air through 2 "fans" on back of laptop few times.
There came out little , really , dust . So i turned on game , played 1h , temps dropped over 20!! Degress on CPU and GPU. :)
Maybe it will be helpfull for somebody :)
Thx for patience reading .
greets KOrnetto :)

This will be my next move. My g73 would shut down after a while of playing any game. I updated bios and vbios as per instructions on this site and the shut downs have been greatly reduced, however the laptop temperature is still very high. My CPU temp seems to be alot higher then what should be normal too. Hopefully blowing compressed air through the fans will alleviate a bit of the problem.

This is my temps after just 3 mins of furmark:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/TLRfreak/gpuheat.jpg

thyes
03-18-2011, 03:00 AM
I got a mail today from the RMA guys and they actually replaced the graphics card. No repaste, swapped it with a new one. Maybe there was something else wrong with the old card then. Anyways I'm a happy camper, cause the laptop is now underway. Hoping everything works as it should when I get it :)

Brnd
03-18-2011, 08:58 AM
hey guys!

well i gotta say, i cleaned my rear vents today. i did a sloppy job, didnt work all too hard on it cause i didnt want to spend the hour(s) to literally disassemble my sweet sweet laptop, but i managed to bring a fair amount of dust out of there, and my temps dropped from max 103 (average 99) to max 92.5 (average 82.5)!!!! i swear i didnt put too much energy into the job, but still, this is not negligible.. nah its significant!! im happy for now, maybe if i do this regularly i'll even stay happy for quite some time before i have to do some "serious" cleaning job

and btw, i havd this machine since appr. 6 months, so i think its quite a reasonable time to start worrying about dust in a laptop. dust might be the major problems of many people in all tese repaste forums (i know i know surely not all of them )?!?!?

1 more thing: one of the 2 heatsink screws which u can see through the backpanel was loose --> i tightened it. maybe thats partially responsible for the temp drop, i still think its mainly the dust. no that i've cleaned the vents, there is a much stronger airflow whcih u can feel just by putting ur hands there. before cleaning u felt, yea its warm, but now i feel a strong airflow again. im not sure how tight the other 2 screws are since i didnt fully disassemble my laptop...

Kornetto
03-18-2011, 10:08 AM
I also took battery off.

Brnd
03-18-2011, 10:45 AM
u took battery off..ok, what exactly is this supposed to tell us??? sry i really dont get it...

Kornetto
03-18-2011, 03:22 PM
u took battery off..ok, what exactly is this supposed to tell us??? sry i really dont get it...

Maybe temperatures are different when you dont have battery near radiators and its not charging. Just a thought...
Any comment now?

Brnd
03-18-2011, 04:32 PM
aah, now i get it :D

well...i'd say when the battery is not in use, by which i mean not being charged or discharged, it shouldnt produce any heat (physics says so :P ) . the other thing that come to my mind is thermal conduction. the heat capacitance of ur battery is surely greater than the surrounding air's heat capacitance. so at the beginning, for a short time, the battery (when not in use) should absorb heat energy and keep ur gpu cooler, but just for a few mins, if not only 1 min. considering these two argumenst, i'd say it shouldnt make much difference, if any at all, if an unused battery is attached or not.

evrybody is invited to correct me, but thats how i see it giving it some quick thought, greetings

Dwarfwing
03-22-2011, 07:39 AM
I got my my laptop back a week from sending. (i was on holiday 2 weeks so that's why testing went this late). Temps seems to be 15-20 degrees lower now. (in game play). Furmark i havent tested yet but according repair report they have runned both, Furmark and 3dmark for 2 hours without any problems. My furmark crashed after 1 minute, so it's so much better now. The report does not say what exactly they did, but repasting was my suggestion and most likely that was the action they did. One thing what is better now fan noise is much lower. Fan does not use it's highest speeds, at least not when playing.. today i will run Furmark and see results with my own eyes.

Best luck for all with temp problems!

thyes
03-23-2011, 05:37 PM
So I got my computer back today, finally! They did not repaste my GPU, but instead they put in a new graphics card. I thought that was a bit odd, sounds cheaper to just repaste it. Maybe the card was broken, what do I know?
They also updated my BIOS and I now have version 211. Btw, what graphics card does the G73JH have? I thought it was a HD 5850, but I have a HD 5870 now.

Anyway, I fired up Bad Company 2 to test it out. Didn't play that long, maybe 5 minutes since I wasn't really in the mood for gaming. I just wanted to see if the computer shut down or not. During the short period I played, it didn't shut down, but I got temps of around 90c. Is that too high? My idle temps are around 65c.
I havent tried any other games yet, but I'm gonna buy Rift tomorrow.
I've heard that Bad Company 2 is a beast of a game and really puts your system to the test, no matter what computer you have.

So:
Idle temps: around 65c
Load temps: between 85c-92c.

Edit: Forgot to ask; I want to try out Furmark, what version should I use? Windows 7 64bit.
I downloaded one version, it ran for a couple minutes and then I got an error and the PC shut down! I don't know if it was a software issue, or if my PC still needs fixing :(

Alex Lohn
03-25-2011, 07:26 PM
So I got my computer back today, finally! They did not repaste my GPU, but instead they put in a new graphics card. I thought that was a bit odd, sounds cheaper to just repaste it. Maybe the card was broken, what do I know?
They also updated my BIOS and I now have version 211. Btw, what graphics card does the G73JH have? I thought it was a HD 5850, but I have a HD 5870 now.

Anyway, I fired up Bad Company 2 to test it out. Didn't play that long, maybe 5 minutes since I wasn't really in the mood for gaming. I just wanted to see if the computer shut down or not. During the short period I played, it didn't shut down, but I got temps of around 90c. Is that too high? My idle temps are around 65c.
I havent tried any other games yet, but I'm gonna buy Rift tomorrow.
I've heard that Bad Company 2 is a beast of a game and really puts your system to the test, no matter what computer you have.

So:
Idle temps: around 65c
Load temps: between 85c-92c.

Edit: Forgot to ask; I want to try out Furmark, what version should I use? Windows 7 64bit.
I downloaded one version, it ran for a couple minutes and then I got an error and the PC shut down! I don't know if it was a software issue, or if my PC still needs fixing :(

The Broadway XT Mobility card can be compared to a desktop 5850, but for a mobile chip it's pretty powerful.

Temps still seem a little hot but that's me, seems really random what people are idling at and running at under load. I've got factory paste and I'm at 44C idle and 82C(hottest temp in hwinfo32) at full load. As for games it'll handle bad company 2 fine and rift will run med/high to high, haven't really find the ideal settings yet, high runs at 35 fps or so and dips.

Chastity@ASUS
03-26-2011, 12:41 AM
FurMark is up to 1.90

Torana
03-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Finally got around to hitting the laptop with a can of compressed air. Took the back off and dvd out and used the compressed air through the rear vents as well as through the bottom.

WOW. GPU 20'C drop at idle and 25'C under load. CPU dropped a good 15-20'C too.

Ran furmark for 10 mins. The max temps below got there after about 3mins then stayed steady for the rest of the 10 mins.

ALso of note, the computer is a LOT quieter now too.

Side by Side of my temps before and after the clean out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/TLRfreak/gpuheat2.jpg

thyes
03-31-2011, 01:08 AM
Holy christ, 130+ degrees? That's HOT! Even if the results are better, I'd say you still have very high temperatures..

anthem
04-30-2011, 03:47 PM
My question is : Can we request Asus to replace thermal paste using one oh the best thermal paste? Or do they just use low quality thermal paste?

Chastity@ASUS
04-30-2011, 06:36 PM
They'll use whatever is on hand at the center. I prefer to recommend a local ASP location. This way you can hand them whatever you want used. (Google for "Asus ASP" if you don't know what I am referring to)

ekassor
06-14-2011, 02:22 AM
Purchased a G73JH Best Buy 7/2010. I'm experiencing thermal shutdown issues. Ran GPU-Z showing 85c at idle and 120c at shut down, running a total war demo. Also random shutdowns playing Civ5. When not gaming the laptop runs fine. Asus gave me an RMA, but my other option is the local Best Buy "Geek Squad", who I called. Geek Squad assues me if I bring it in I get a better warranty than the manufacturer warranty. They call it "Black Tie" and that they will have not issues replacing the graphics card or repasteing as necessary.

Is best Buy a good choice, or should I go thru the RMA hassle?

xeromist
06-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Totally depends on how competent your Geeksquad is there. I've heard of people having a longer RMA process with BB and also people with a longer RMA through ASUS. I would say give it a shot but tell them not to send it away if they can't do anything.

fuk
08-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Thx!!! Im from Brazil.... just got my IC from frozencpu.com... after few hours, i broke my speakers cable n the paste job is done... 55C idle... im very happy!!!

Danyell94
08-29-2011, 08:58 PM
yes it works .. i have flash my bios and it works for me ... 2 mounth and the problem has come back today i have repaste the GPU and my temps are 65C+ idle and 100C+ Load .. greate post .. ! sorry my bad english .. =D

Roland3
08-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks Chastity. Detailed and well written post.

Hambone07si
08-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Chastity, you are the man!! I've had my G73jh for a while now. I use it mainly for my itunes and Lan parties. I don't do that much gaming on it, but now that I smoked 2 out of 3 Gtx 480's on my main rig, I'll be using it a bit more. My bios version was 205. My gpu idled @ 65c and when playing games it would load @ 98-102c which I thought was insanely high. I tried a few programs to override fan settings with no luck. I seen the new 211 and 213 bios and was about to update. Then I seen people talking about bricking the system or getting GSOD's. So I backed off on the update and started reading a few forums that you posted info in. I've used Hp usb tool before for flashing my Gtx 480's and my old 5870. So I got all the files needed, made my usb bootable, added the 3 files to it and rebooted. I flashed to the newest vBios with no problem at all. Then went back into windows and checked temps and clocks. Everything seemed good to go. So I extracted bios 213 and put on a usb and went into the bios and started Asus ezflash. I flashed the bios and then the system turned off. Booted back up and went into windows and verified that 213 was installed. Then I opened up Msi afterburner just to monitor temps and fired up Furmark. Gpu temp was still at 65c idle. As soon as I started Furmark, gpu went up fast to 80c and climbed up to 105c within 2min. So I stopped. Gpu went back down to 65c at idlle. Seemed weird to me since you said you hovered @ 76-77c load with Furmark. So I rebooted and tried again, same thing up to 100c fast. So since it was stated in bios 211 that if had 100% fan at 77c, I extracted that and put it on usb and rebooted and installed with Asus ezflash. Verified that 211 was installed. I opened up msi and now I was idling at 52c!!!! Hell yeah. So I fired up Furmark again and now with stock clocks 700/1000, I now was loading at 77-80c after 10min. Ambient temp was 24.4c/76f in my living room at time of testing. So now that my temps were great compared to before, I figured why not try a little overclocking. I used Amd gpu tool and set clocks to 750/1075 for starters. Ran Furmark and loading now at 80-82c. Not bad. Went up to 800/1100 and load was 82-83 after 10min. Everything seemed stable so I ran Vantage to see what I now got. I was getting around P8200 or so at 700/1000. I got P8600 at 750/1075. Then tried 800/1100 and got P9300.. Temps never went above 80c during Vantage run. I am very happy with my new temps and extra 15% performance increase.

Thanks for the detailed info and links to get what was necessary for updating. You added some years of life to my G73!! It's said that 20c drop in temp will add 10years of life to components. I shouldn't have to worry about the overheating anymore. Thanks again!! Would add rep if this was like Overclock.net :)

Chastity@ASUS
08-31-2011, 06:14 PM
The six-sided star is the Rep button :)

thyes
09-29-2011, 05:44 PM
I had to RMA my laptop this winter, and haven't done much gaming on it since. Except for SC2 wich isn't very demanding. Now that BF3 and Skyrim is just around the corner, I think I'm gonna replace this laptop with a good old desktop. Played a few hours of BF: BC2 now and it worked out kind of ok. I did get temps of over 100 degrees celsius, but atleast the comp didn't shut down like before I RMAed it.

With temperatures over 100 degrees on bad company 2, I think it's gonna get hairy running Skyrim and BF3 on this rig. Tbh I regret ever buying this laptop, or any other laptop for that matter. You can praise it and love it as much you want, but the fact is that a laptop can't even be compared to a desktop when it comes to games.
I've tried selling it, but I guess most people are aware of this sad fact :(

Francisco
10-03-2011, 03:36 AM
Great thread. I found a video with the solution, enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ9g5WKHWJA&feature=related

Aibee
11-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Okay... so i just finished a repaste with MX-4 and clean the whole laptop including the fans, updated my vBIOS to the v93 from Brian's thread also my BIOS is 211 too. But how come my GPU temp never get down to below 55C @ idle... what else could i do to get a better temp?

I did a 15mins furmark run too, the temp goes from 56C to 88-92 in 3 mins and stays at 90-94... how come i can never get the temp like the most of the guys on the forum which is around 75-85C?

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Wait till tomorrow or the day after. The paste needs to cure or outgas or something. Once when I used ArcticSilver, a few years back I got an 8C drop after 5 days.

Unless you used way to much paste or didn't tighten the heatsinks down enough, but wait a few days then judge your repaste job. ;)

BTW I hope you remembered to blow out all the dust while you were in there. :D

Aibee
11-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Wait till tomorrow or the day after. The paste needs to cure or outgas or something. Once when I used ArcticSilver, a few years back I got an 8C drop after 5 days.

Unless you used way to much paste or didn't tighten the heatsinks down enough, but wait a few days then judge your repaste job. ;)

BTW I hope you remembered to blow out all the dust while you were in there. :D

It's been 2 days since i did the repaste and the cleaning, the paste was thin so that's not a problem.

Haha, I did blow out all the dust that i see inside the laptop even the fans, i also wiped the heat sink and everything else with compressed air cans.

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 04:10 PM
OK, I just that in the other thread.

You have an ATI GPU, right? What's a normal idle temp for one in the G73JH?

sbsen
11-29-2011, 03:07 AM
After 8 months of living with a hot and noisy laptop :o , I decided to bite the bullet over the weekend .. Opened up my 1.5 year old G73JH to re-apply the thermal paste.
First thing I noticed that the air vents on the fans inside were clogged with dust, which cannot be cleaned without taking the whole thing apart I guess. I cleaned the vents, re-pasted with ICD7 and now my temps are down from 96C to 54C (idle).
While gaming it goes up max upto 85C !! :cool:

Read all the tutorials and used caution while taking the machine apart and just came out with one bruised "End" key .. which sticks out, but still works :eek: Thanks to all for putting up the tutorials. It has been of much help ! :D

A screenshot ---

EightFluidOz
12-08-2011, 03:57 AM
About a year ago I finally got up the courage to crack open my G73JH after experiencing a few shutdowns because of high temps. Following the re-paste job my load temps maxed out at 86 degrees. After reassembling i noticed that the motherboard was left propped up slightly out of place by a cable left unplugged. Other than that it was a successful re-paste! (Still don't know what that cable is for. Everything has worked fine.)

Recently I've noticed that the fan noise is considerably louder. Checking hwinfo under load it looks like the temps are getting up to the high 90 - low 100s range. Could this be because of a poor re-paste? Would dust in the fans cause the temps to get into this range?

Opening it up was scary enough the first time. I doubt I'll get through the job again without at least breaking the keyboard or speaker cable.

Thanks for all the awesome help.

deathsaint
12-08-2011, 07:47 AM
this is crazy.. I been noticing idle temps all of a sudden up to like 80C and shutdowns EVERYTIME I run a game.. then I restarted my laptop and the whole video driver was disabled and it was running VGA only 16 bit!! so what did I do? I just blew into the vents.. got hit in the face with a crapload of dust.. now im down to 55c idle and thats just with blowing in it no air duster!!! amazing what heat can do

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 08:34 AM
this is crazy.. I been noticing idle temps all of a sudden up to like 80C and shutdowns EVERYTIME I run a game.. then I restarted my laptop and the whole video driver was disabled and it was running VGA only 16 bit!! so what did I do? I just blew into the vents.. got hit in the face with a crapload of dust.. now im down to 55c idle and thats just with blowing in it no air duster!!! amazing what heat can do

Yeah, really. People need to get into the habit of maintenance. A little bit of TLC can make a huge difference down the line. ;)

nitrogen4
01-03-2012, 11:06 PM
bios 211
vbios 012.020.000.032
video driver 11.7

According to AMD GPU clock tool : My GPU is clocked at 405 mhz, and my Mem is Clocked at 1000 Mhz.
Also AMD GPU clock tool says my idle temperatures are ~68C.

my operating temperatures while playing Skyrim with 1920x1080 resolution and high settings is spiking to 105C and averaging 99C

Should I re paste based on this data?

Thank you.

dstrakele
01-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Blowing out the fans and exhaust vents from the inside out with compressed gas and then checking temperatures would be my first recommendation. There are videos on YouTube that show this procedure. @sbsen's post #72 above in this thread shows you about where you want to be. If you're not there, then a repaste is most likely on your to-do list.

sammyjoe
05-22-2012, 05:28 PM
I just completed this process and wanted to share my experience and pitfalls.
Thanks to everyone who posted helpful messages and walkthroughs...awesome.

I used the IC Diamond 7 paste on both the CPU and GPU. My tempuratures for the GPU are now HALF of what they were (105 celcius down to 53)! CPU dropped a good 15 degrees as well.

For anyone doing this, make sure you sort your screws as you go. Most are the same exact screw but about 10 or so are unique...long ones for the hinges and shorter ones for the optical drive bay and battery bay.

MAJOR PITFALL WARNING:
The motherboard has two buttons on it that control power. One is by the power coord that turns the pc on, the other is on the opposite side of the board and is used to power the device off / reset it. That reset button is on the bottom of the motherboard, so when re-seating it, be absolutely certain that the button is clear. Otherwise, it will be depressed and your computer will either not power on at all or any slight pressure on the case will compress the button and turn off your machine. I spent a good 5 hours solely on figuring that problem out. The motherbooard looked like it was seated correct, took it apart, put it back, still no dice. Third try was a charm. That button fits in a nice little divit on the bottom of your case, so you just need to make sure it goes into it. Try plugging in the power and booting up while the case is still open (you can leave almost all ribbons unplugged...you just want to make sure it's getting power).

Thanks again to everyone! Voided my warranty, but saved me a month of being without a computer and gave the satisfaction of fixing myself!

KnowleedgeisPower
07-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Here is some background for my machine. I bought it used a little under a year ago. For the first four months it was fine. Then all of a sudden I was starting to get random freezing and crashes followed by blue screen errors. I tried everything to fix the problem but they didn't seem to be enough. So just yesterday I used a Windows 7 upgrade disc I had already used once on a old Desktop and I forgot to back up all the unique ASUS stuff like drivers, utilities, etc...So I downloaded and installed some drivers off of ASUStek's webpage for my machine. But there are so many different things on there and I have no idea what's what. So any help in that department would be appreciated. Like which ones are recommended? Also, I can't play Skyrim without a overheat shut down. I checked the event logs to verify that it was specifically a Graphic's card overheating issue. I am pretty sure that I don't need to repaste anything. I mean it was working fine up to after I messed up and reinstalled Windows 7 without thinking. So is it a driver's issue or what am I suppose to do? Any help would be appreciated. This is my first self bought machine and my only computer currently so I'm at your mercy! 9873
Hopefully if that attached correctly that is a snapshot of my Temps and things. That is just with a few webpages open. If there are any other things you should see to help you better understand my problem please let me know and I'll post them. I'm not especially knowledgeable with this sort of thing, despite my username may imply xD
P.S. sorry for any typos.

xeromist
07-09-2012, 02:33 PM
I am pretty sure that I don't need to repaste anything. I mean it was working fine up to after I messed up and reinstalled Windows 7 without thinking.

BSOD is working fine? But it is possible you might not need a repaste. When was the last time you cleaned the dust out? Accumulated dust, pet hair, etc can cause overheating and it's perfectly fixable with some compressed air.

huffj20032003
07-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Oye Forum,

I have had my G73 for a year and some change and this is my first lappy that has cost me close to 3.000 USDs. Now i have been true to the maintanance by doing simple noob-like maintanace; blowing out the internals for dust and wiping the it down the best that i can. i never have had the courage to pop the bad boy open and do some of the more complicated maintanance techniques. Now i think my G73 is a damn trooper i had not noticed the laptop getting hotter until about 4 or so months ago. I still maintain and keep faithful to the cleaning, but now its doing a serious hardship tour with me... thats right Noob-Me brought it to this Arrid Dusty Godforsaken land Afghanistan. my temperatures sky-rocketed to the point i ruined both SSD and HDD (pretty much at the same time).

So forum, this soldier has come to better knowledge himself on more methods to protect my awesome invest from the rest of this hardship tour and the Army (lol). I been reading all your tips on the does and donts for pasting (pray to the Lord i get it right). Do any of u have advice on what memory drives are best for this system. i am thinking of two SSD (one for OS and the other to hold my games; i have an external tera byte drive i plan to store data with)

This is my chance to start from square one and get my **** right. any bit of advice and critique would be appretiated.