PDA

View Full Version : Hot ambience temperature- Tips for cooling my pc

TheKnight
07-12-2017, 05:20 AM
Hello. I own the G752VY and it's summer here where I live. The temperature is absolutely not hesitating to go over 35 C. In winter my CPU temperature is around 75 C which is fine but now it goes to 90 C and it is throttling (checked with HwInfo64). I can also see my game get all choppy and laggy. The CPU starts throttling as soon as it hits 2 hours of constant gaming. I never play for more than 2 hours straight, even in winter so it's not that big of a problem to exit my game and go do something else. However I'm really worried about damaging the CPU. Can it even be damaged? I exit the game as soon as I see it stutter so I don't let my CPU stay in 90 C for long.

What can I do to help it cool down? My fans are not blocked by anything and my laptop is on a hard, solid and straight surface.
Thank you.

JustinThyme
07-12-2017, 12:01 PM
While the CPU is protected from over temp by throttling and flat out shutting down heat is the #1 CPU killer and it will over time shorten the life of your CPU.

Sorry to say the only way to get it cooler is a cooler ambient temp. 35C is pretty toasty! I keep my home at 23-24C during the summer and actually kick it down to 21C at night.
Blowing a higher volume of hot air isnt going to make any difference.

TheKnight
07-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Thanks for your reply. The A/C is in my living room while my computer is on my office in a different room, thus it's not a viable option. Instead of 2 hours I'll just play for 1 hour and then stop and just browse the internet for an hour or so to let everything cool down. By the way my temps while idle seem to be different only by a few degrees C when compared to my winter temps and that's only for the CPU, the GPU doesn't seem to really care even when I'm playing.

davemon50
07-12-2017, 02:10 PM
If whole house air conditioning is not an option for you, and if your computer system is in the office in its own exterior space (as opposed to a wide open area), then one option that would work for you is to install a 1-ton air conditioner. It can run on 120V and provide enough cooling in the space to get your ambient down to where your computer no longer throttles or becomes disabled. A window shaker will add noise to your space on any speed at all, but if you can't use your computer then what's the difference?

If you are interested in that idea, maybe you can share a little info about the space your computer is in so we can make a more firm recommendation on the size of the A/C, 1 ton (12000 BTUh) might not be necessary, it might be overkill, and maybe a half ton or 3/4 ton would do the trick.

haihane
07-12-2017, 02:18 PM
you can run the Intel XTU to undervolt your CPU, as guided in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBNP5I2y668

might help shave off a few celcius(es).
and probably, underclock and undervolt your laptop GPU too. desperate times call for desperate measurements.

edit: included the source where i learnt this trick from:
source: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-Overheating-Throttling

TheKnight
07-12-2017, 06:00 PM
If whole house air conditioning is not an option for you, and if your computer system is in the office in its own exterior space (as opposed to a wide open area), then one option that would work for you is to install a 1-ton air conditioner. It can run on 120V and provide enough cooling in the space to get your ambient down to where your computer no longer throttles or becomes disabled. A window shaker will add noise to your space on any speed at all, but if you can't use your computer then what's the difference?

If you are interested in that idea, maybe you can share a little info about the space your computer is in so we can make a more firm recommendation on the size of the A/C, 1 ton (12000 BTUh) might not be necessary, it might be overkill, and maybe a half ton or 3/4 ton would do the trick.

Installing a whole new A/C system is going to be a very big hustle so I doubt I'll go for that.

you can run the Intel XTU to undervolt your CPU, as guided in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBNP5I2y668

might help shave off a few celcius(es).
and probably, underclock and undervolt your laptop GPU too. desperate times call for desperate measurements.

edit: included the source where i learnt this trick from:
source: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-Overheating-Throttling

I do not trust myself in the slightest to use Intel XTU. I just know I'll screw something up. I'll check out the video you posted though, just for the sake of the trouble you went through to get it.

I'll just have to live with it until summer goes away or the weather cools down I guess. Play for short periods of time and then just browse the internet letting everything cool down. I'll even try lowering my graphics settings in my games. Maybe it'll help but then again maybe not.

Thank you all for your replies :)
(And people wonder why I prefer winter....lol)

Korth
07-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Liquid cooling is fairly terrible when ambient (and coolant) is saturated with heat. Thermal transfer from CPU/GPU to radiator is dismal, no matter how much heat you attempt to blow off the rad.

Air cooling isn't great either. But you always have the option of forcing more air onto the parts and more heat off of them. It can get loud, but crank all your fans up to maximize airflow across the hot parts and out of the chassis. You can even remove the side panel(s) and aim a large room fan onto the motherboard. Perhaps aim another room fan out the window and yet another into the room, airflow across the entire room might help remove some PC heat, lol. Moving your PC into a cooler room (in the basement or wherever) might also be a good option.

Underclocking and undervolting can go a long way. If what you're doing can run well enough on half a PC.

davemon50
07-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Installing a whole new A/C system is going to be a very big hustle so I doubt I'll go for that.

No. Not a whole new air conditioning system. A window shaker.

SOMETHING LIKE THIS (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3FOIR4/ref=asc_df_B01D3FOIR45072239/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01D3FOIR4&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167142742016&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17624665789999700001&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007852&hvtargid=pla-375668371157)

You slide a window onto it and plug it in. Not any hassle at all. Takes 20 minutes. It's harder to install an AIO cooler into your computer.

Clintlgm
07-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Probably won't help you much but upgrading to BIOS 303 has dropped my temps 5C to 8C? Worth a try my Ambient temps are around 26C and I'm Idling at 36 - 38C I can't help you with Gaming since I don't. I know that sounds crazy I keep checking and yea my temps are that low on a G752 VY

TheKnight
07-13-2017, 01:19 PM
No. Not a whole new air conditioning system. A window shaker.

SOMETHING LIKE THIS (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3FOIR4/ref=asc_df_B01D3FOIR45072239/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01D3FOIR4&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167142742016&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17624665789999700001&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007852&hvtargid=pla-375668371157)

You slide a window onto it and plug it in. Not any hassle at all. Takes 20 minutes. It's harder to install an AIO cooler into your computer.

Nice idea but the problem is that my office doesn't have a window but instead it has a door that leads to a balkony.

I'll update my BIOS to 303 and report back. I know that the problem is the weather itself but I'll report back anyway to share my experience with the new BIOS version for anyone who's skeptical about updating.

To be honest I didn't really think they'd release a new one after 213. It says that it optimizes system performance. Anyone know exactly how?

panzlock
07-13-2017, 01:34 PM
35C? That's an oppressive climate for the system and the user. I commend your vigor. But unless you drop the ambient you'll see very little drop in system temperature, unfortunately.

Best advice is to cool that room with a window A/C system. For one small room all you need is a basic, 5000 BTU unit and you'll cool that space right down, subsequently cooling your PC system.

If you have a basement, move your PC in there and that alone should help.

Edit: After I posted this I noticed you mentioned you have no window. Here is the alternative: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W7PXYI?psc=1

TheKnight
07-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Edit: After I posted this I noticed you mentioned you have no window. Here is the alternative: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W7PXYI?psc=1

This could work, yes. I'll have to find a cheaper one though lol. Thanks for giving me the idea.

tommiboi
07-13-2017, 02:47 PM
:-)

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Aluminum-Adjustable-Temperature-Notebook/dp/B00J0NZYOK

maybe this or something that will fit ?

TheKnight
07-13-2017, 05:33 PM
:-)

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Aluminum-Adjustable-Temperature-Notebook/dp/B00J0NZYOK

maybe this or something that will fit ?

I doubt it. The problem is not that the computer doesn't have a good cooling system. The problem is that the air it sucks in to cool itself is already warm thus not allowing much heat to be "absorbed" by the air. Blowing some more warm air at it is not going to get the job done.
I appreciate your input but I'll go with what panzlock linked in his reply (well not exactly, I'll find a cheaper option).

panzlock
07-13-2017, 06:44 PM
This could work, yes. I'll have to find a cheaper one though lol. Thanks for giving me the idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Madoats-Conditioner-Evaporative-Circulator-Refrigeration/dp/B06XT4TL6J/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1499971097&sr=1-8&keywords=portable+room+air+conditioner

Nice and cheap. Not sure how effective.

haihane
07-13-2017, 07:02 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Madoats-Conditioner-Evaporative-Circulator-Refrigeration/dp/B06XT4TL6J/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1499971097&sr=1-8&keywords=portable+room+air+conditioner

Nice and cheap. Not sure how effective.
eh,
don't this... thing... turn ice cubes or water into microdroplets, mix 'em with air, and push em all out?

we humans love this cool effect.
not so sure about electronics :/

panzlock
07-13-2017, 07:41 PM
eh,
don't this... thing... turn ice cubes or water into microdroplets, mix 'em with air, and push em all out?

we humans love this cool effect.
not so sure about electronics :/

Oh god, I hope he realized I was kidding.

It should be a dedicated A/C unit. You want to cool the atmosphere and hopefully get rid of the humidity at the same time.

davemon50
07-13-2017, 11:33 PM
Yeah, the dedicated A/C, that's my stance too. That thing linked is a "swamp cooler" - an evaporative cooler, and trades sensible cooling benefit for latent heat. So if you place it in a contained space it's going to raise the humidity levels in the space. Which makes you uncomfortable in a home office in my opinion, and also puts the electronics at risk once the RH gets high, unless of course it's a very small cooler, which then provides ineffective benefit. Sensible capacity is very limited compared to a refrigerant cycle.

I've designed a few of these before for large systems, ironically they are applicable for data centers that reside in dry climates. But I wouldn't use it in a home office. There is also another nice side benefit you get, constant fan noise right next to you! How nice, but you also get fan and compressor noise with a dedicated room A/C too.

Bottom line is in order to control the ambient in the hot summer, there is a reason why mechanical refrigeration was invented by Carrier and still used. You just can't draw in enough 95 degree air to cool something below that temp.

Alternate solution for you COULD be a mini-split (ductless) split system for that space. It's basically a small condensing unit outside and a little wall or ceiling mounted fan-coil to cool that one room. But then you need a drain and also refrigerant piped between them, and power supplies to both. It's not a cheap solution, and even though it's an elegant solution (and could be combined with heat pump if you wanted), the cost is why I didn't even go there, but suggested window unit at first, without knowing you were inside, no windows.

Ancients
07-14-2017, 02:43 AM
If you want a quick and dirty way go to your current power plan and set the minimum processor state below to anything 100 and your maximum processor state to 99%. This will disable intel turbo boost which should decrease your CPU temps by a good bit while not impacting gaming too much.

TheKnight
07-18-2017, 05:28 AM
UPDATE: I searched everywhere for those small, portable A/C units but everywhere I asked they said that they're not that good and that it's better if I get a regular A/C unit and so I did. I installed it, set the temp to 23 C - 25 C, let the room cool down for a bit and launched a game in order to test the temperature of the CPU.
The results are that the CPU doesn't throttle but (as labeled by HWINFO 64) Core #0 still has a quite high temperature of 78-83 C, Core #1 is a bit lower at 75-80 C and Cores #2 and #3 are fine at 75 C and 70 C respectively. The CPU Package has a temp equal to the temp of Core #0 at all given times. Idle temps are around 40-45 C. The GPU is fine at a max temp of 75 C

Does this sound normal to you? In winter (ambient temperature of around 18 C - 21 C) my CPU used to max out at 75 C. I know that 18 C and 25 C are quite some way off from each other but can that difference really push my CPU out of the 70s C and into the 80s C?

As far as BIOS 303 goes, I haven't had any problems yet. I just have a feeling that the CPU fan could go louder than its current state.

UPDATE 2: I had left Hwinfo64 running in the background and I saw that it actually throttled. It shouldn't have throttled for long since I noticed no difference while playing but when I exited the game and checked out Hwinfo I saw that under the "Maximum" tab it said "Core #0 Thermal Throttling: Yes" and "Package/Ring Thermal Throttling: Yes"

Here's a list of all temperature values under the "Maximum" tab;
-Core #0: 87 C
-Core #1: 86 C
-Core #2: 82 C
-Core #3: 77 C

This happened at an ambience temperature of 25 C.

What are your thoughts on this?
Honestly, I don't know what's to blame here.
I really don't want to sacrifice performance and undervolt, so how about I set up a custom fan profile?
I've heard that ASUS prefers noise reduction over coolness thus their fan profiles don't take full advantage of the fans' capabilities.
I'll need guidance though. If you could recommend the best program for custom fan profiles and help me set the right values for the right temperatures I'd highly appreciate it.

TheKnight
07-18-2017, 09:15 AM
UPDATE 3: Just set my A/C at 21 C. Same results....CPU still at 84 C. However now I'm a lot more certain that the fans could go a lot louder, they seem to be quite quiet. Especially when I close the game and the "Active Cooling" option kicks in I can hear my fans go louder and I can't help but think "why don't they go that loud when playing?".

TheKnight
07-18-2017, 11:32 AM
UPDATE 4- FINAL: Like you saw on my previous posts I was getting really suspicious that something might be wrong with my fan speed. Turns out I was right.
I cooled my room down to 23 C and pressed fn+pgup to make my fans work at 100% speed. The results were outstanding. The maximum temperature my CPU reached was 74 C.....74!

Obviously now I need to create a custom fan profile because the default one isn't working out for me and that is where you guys come in.
I need help doing this. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me which one is the best program for that purpose and guide me to insert the correct fan speeds on the correct temperatures.

Korth
07-18-2017, 01:31 PM
https://www.google.ca/search?q=laptop+cooling+pad

It's high ambient so airflow forced onto/through your parts won't move "cool" air in as much as it will move "hot" air out. It can be surprisingly effective with enough airflow and enough heatsinks/rads.

Clintlgm
07-18-2017, 01:39 PM
Dreamonic has information posted about fan profiles and program to that works of us. Search his threads or check out his personal pa (http://voltground.com/haven/threads/69/)ge

TheKnight
07-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Dreamonic has information posted about fan profiles and program to that works of us. Search his threads or check out his personal pa (http://voltground.com/haven/threads/69/)ge

I just checked out his personal page and just to be sure, since I have a G752 model I should get the VOLTGROUND G752 config, correct?

Clintlgm
07-18-2017, 02:56 PM
I don't need or use this so I would send Dreamonic a PM or post to the thread I linked you too. Logically I would agree use the G752 config as I stated I don't really know for sure. For me the updated BIOS 303 has worked my ambient is 25.5c/78F my temps are great idling in the high 30c low 40c I don't game so I can't comment on those kind of load, Benchmarking on full CPU load I'm staying in the 70's C. I dropped from the Mid 40' to low 50' at the same Idle loads. This is working for my set up. I use All CPU Gadget and I just can't get over looking over there and seeing 36C to 38 C, I've never seen that on a notebook before my desktops yes with huge Heat sinks and 140m fans. So I'm running just under where my G75VW did. I have noticed since the 303 update my fan profile has changed with 1900 RPM being minimum and 3500 max. All the monitoring I have done so far the fans never go lower than 1900 RPM. Good Luck with your system Dreamonic seriously worked with this so I will defer to him.

TheKnight
07-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Ok so I tried his G752 fan profile and although it didn't prevent all my cores from going over 80 C (max temp was 88 C), it did not cause them to overheat.
One thing I noticed though is that in the Notebook fan control program if I click "Enabled" it makes my fans work at 100%. Although the GPU doesn't need this, the CPU does so my question is;
If I set my fans to work at 100% before launching a game and then reverting them back to normal speeds, can that damage my fans? Given max time I play continuously= 2 hours and an average play time per day= 6 hours (it's summer so I got plenty of time).
Another question I have is, if I leave the custom fan profile to just do its thing, is 80-85 C going to damage my CPU short-term and how will it affect its long-term lifespan?

I really don't know how the same BIOS can work so well for someone but for another one work so badly.

EDIT: Nvm it just throttled again :(

Clintlgm
07-18-2017, 05:02 PM
Could be you need a repaste? If you read more of Dreamonic post you find that the G752 can have issue with the way the copper contacts the CPU & GPU, he has found that at the time of repasting actually bending them a bit to get 100% equal contact. In other words your heat sink could be pressing on your CPU more on one side than the other this causes unequal cooling to each core? Its worthwhile to read his post he is really into G notebook book Modification for performance which of course includes cooling

TheKnight
07-18-2017, 06:14 PM
I will read it.
What I noticed now that I gave it one more try is that if I set it to "Enable" (previously it was set to "Read-Only" and I don't think that enables the fan profile) and set my CPU fan speed to 100%, it will reach a maximum of 87 C (it spikes for a sec and then goes back down) but it will have an average temp of 70- 75 C and a minimum of 68 C.

I am really confused now by this though. I tried to equalize the temperature of my room to the temperature of my room in winter by using my A/C, which is around 21-23 C. In winter the CPU would not go over 75 C. How can the CPU in an environment with equal temperature and 100% fan speed spike to 87 C from time to time now, while before it would not go over 75 C without any custom fan profiles which means that the fan would probably not operate at 100%?

The only answer I can think of is that in winter I used to launch hwinfo64 and check my temps for just a second and then close it again. Now, I launch it and keep it running until I close the game.
Could it be that in winter the second I would check my CPU, it would be at 70-75 C but instead if I kept it running I would see that it would spike to 85 C again?
That's the only answer I can think of because there have been no hardware changes from then to now. The only change is the new BIOS but the custom fan profile overrides it.
As far as dust is concerned, this model is advertised with a built-in system to remove dust. Does it actually work?

What do you think? Can you shed some light?

Clintlgm
07-18-2017, 11:25 PM
Well everyone of these notebooks has its own issues, you pretty much have exhausted all avenues except for a repaste, I would indeed read Dreamonic post on this.

TheKnight
07-19-2017, 04:37 AM
Thank you for all your replies so far. They've been really helpful.

I doubt I will go for a repaste because I am not capable of doing it myself and by no means after my previous experience with ASUS RMA am I going to send it back to ASUS.
One last question. If I make my CPU fan work on 100% every time I play from now on, can that damage the fan?

(If you are curious, basically I sent my G751JY because the battery died and was in need of a replacement. 2 months later it comes back with screen bleeding (the battery had been replaced) that wasn't there before so I decided to send it back. Throughout the next month every time I would check for an update on my service status they would reply "We are running tests on it". This made me furious because what kind of tests does someone run on screen bleeding? I even went to the point of bringing a friend of mine who's a lawyer to the retailer and he spoke with the manager. 2 weeks later they call me and give me a full refund and thus i bought the G752VY. This whole story lasted for 4 months).

Clintlgm
07-19-2017, 04:43 AM
Yikes, should have gotten cl-albert or Bahz involved they can be helpful in these types of situations.

TheKnight
07-19-2017, 06:09 AM
I'll keep that in mind but I hope that I won't ever need to recall that information.
About the CPU fan, can it be damaged if I make it work at 100% when gaming from now on?

And one more thing I'd like to ask is; I installed my A/C system a few days ago. During the last month (June) I've been running my CPU at 80-85 C all the time when playing because I thought that it's something normal because it's summer (same thing happened with my G751JY, in winter my CPU was around 75 C and in summer it went to 80-85 C, that's why I thought it was normal).
Given that I've been playing for 2 hours before taking taking a break and maximum hours of gaming per day was around 6 hours, how does that 80-85 C affect my CPU in the long-term?

Korth
07-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Fan longevity is reduced under sustained high-duty-cycle - meaning that if you keep the fan spinning up at high (or at max) for long periods then yes it will shorten its life. Burn out the bearing, mostly likely, or perhaps the motor, possibly even seize it up through some sort of electrical failure.

I don't know the part/model numbers or specs for the fans ASUS installed in that machine. They're probably good or excellent (but not truly superior) quality, probably rated to last about 2-3 years of "heavy/continous" use or maybe 3-5 years of "average/normal" use. Lacking any specific details, the warranty on the laptop itself is probably a fair indicator of when the most failure-prone parts (like drives and fans, stuff with moving parts) are expected to start dying.

I wouldn't worry about 100% fan too much. It's probably got a good motor and liquid- or ball-bearing system, built to last several years. It costs maybe $10 or $20 to replace, it might even be the sort of part that's replaceable or upgradeable with aftermarket kits. It might die an early death (no sooner than 24 months from now) in the noble cause of increasing overall laptop performance and adding longevity to the $500 CPU that's permanently soldered onboard.

TheKnight
07-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Thanks for replying. 24 months is quite enough and even if my fans break after that period I'll most likely buy a whole new computer anyway.

Darnassus
07-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Hellu. ;d I made a pictor!

(http://i.imgur.com/YisZR6W.png)

Your CPU will be happy.

For your GPU, please use lesser graphics intensive settings. ;d

I also use this ;x
http://www.zalman.com/DataFile/product/NC2000_02_b.jpg

TheKnight
07-21-2017, 06:00 PM
I really appreciate all the trouble you went through in order to edit those pictures. I'll give it a try but I'm worried about the impact it'll have on performance.
As far cooling pads go I was thinking of getting one, if not for blowing air at least for having my pc raised a bit in order to get better airflow from below.

PeaceDa
11-14-2019, 09:35 AM
Hey man try to clean your PC and perhaps add a few more coolers but in any case it's not normal that the CPU heats up so much. I have for example the maximum temperature during 90% of the load of the video card not more than 50 degrees except in the summer when the outside is above 35 then the GPU temperature can reach up to 65 but this is the maximum and I solved this problem very simply. My friend from A/C service company (https://www.socool.sg/) just made that the minimum temperature of the air conditioner can reach up to 18 C and that's enough :)